PDA

View Full Version : Richard Dawkins tells off the lefties...

NoBowie
14th December 15, 06:35 PM
Evolutionary biologist Richard Dawkins has slammed liberals for turning a "treacherous" blind eye to the misogyny and homophobia promoted by Islam despite the shocking human rights abuses carried out by Muslims around the world.

"Regressive left turns treacherous, blind eye on misogyny & homophobia because they absurdly think Islam must be 'respected' as a 'race,'" he wrote.

When several commenters attempted to debate the issue, mockingly telling Dawkins "There's no shame in being conned," the outspoken atheist reiterated, "Actually I think there is shame. Because the misogyny & homophobia promoted by Islam is no secret & v well known." This is not the first time Dawkins has refused to mince words when calling out leftist apologists of Islamic extremism.

https://twitter.com/RichardDawkins/status/674477682277486594

MerkinMuffly
15th December 15, 02:26 AM
Go read about Elevatorgate.
I guarantee you will be disgusted.

Üser Friendly
15th December 15, 02:57 AM
I don't believe for one minuet that Richard Dawkins substitutes v for very in conversation

Pie of Hate
15th December 15, 04:45 AM
Goodbye Richard. We'll miss you.

http://www.wpclipart.com/energy/kaboom.png

NoBowie
15th December 15, 09:06 AM
I don't believe for one minuet that Richard Dawkins substitutes v for very in conversation

That's what you get from this?

Chump. Go read his twitter. I even linked it for you.

Üser Friendly
15th December 15, 09:48 AM
Sense of humor failure

NoBowie
15th December 15, 10:14 AM

Disgusted at Dawkins or at Rebecca Watson?

Pie of Hate
15th December 15, 10:19 AM
Elevatorgate?

http://metroelevator.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/landing-gate.jpg

Feryk
15th December 15, 04:40 PM

Correct. By just about every part of that.

NoBowie
15th December 15, 05:36 PM
Correct. By just about every part of that.

Hmm. My 'disgust' calibration seems to be off.

What part of that should I be disgusted at?

I feel slight discomfort at Rebecca's comment, I have full confidence that were the man hitting on her (in a very non-threatening manner) attractive to her she would not have complained.

I don't feel any disgust at Dawkins comment, I fully support the sentiment:

"Dear Muslima,
Stop whining, will you. Yes, yes, I know you had your genitals mutilated with a razor blade, and...yawn...don't tell me yet again, I know you aren't allowed to drive a car, and you can't leave the house without a male relative, and your husband is allowed to beat you, and you'll be stoned to death if you commit adultery. But stop whining, will you. Think of the suffering your poor American sisters have to put up with. Only this week I heard of one, she calls herself Skep"chick", and do you know what happened to her? A man in a hotel elevator invited her back to his room for coffee. I am not exaggerating. He really did. He invited her back to his room for coffee. Of course she said no, and of course he didn't lay a finger on her, but even so...And you, Muslima, think you have misogyny to complain about! For goodness sake grow up, or at least grow a thicker skin."

MerkinMuffly
16th December 15, 01:04 AM
Disgusted at Dawkins or at Rebecca Watson?

She is drinking in a pub till 4am and is offended when someone asks her out for coffee.
Then, to top it all off, she gets offended because Dawkins points out the obvious and tries to start a shitstorm with her army of overly sensitive professional victims. Gee, I can't understand why people hate her now. It may be a mystery that we never unravel.

Feryk
16th December 15, 11:29 AM
I understand you are a Dawkins fanboy anti-theist, but even you have to admit that post rejection he behaved badly.

Someone who upholds rationalism should not be writing the 'Dear Muslima' letter in defense of hitting on someone and being rejected.

Over the course of the entire incident, Dawkins did not acquit himself well and damaged his own reputation.

MerkinMuffly
16th December 15, 11:39 AM
I understand you are a Dawkins fanboy anti-theist, but even you have to admit that post rejection he behaved badly.

Someone who upholds rationalism should not be writing the 'Dear Muslima' letter in defense of hitting on someone and being rejected.

Over the course of the entire incident, Dawkins did not acquit himself well and damaged his own reputation.

Radical feminists would like nothing better than a world where a drunk Irishman gets a year in jail for asking a woman in for coffee.

Dawkins was telling miss up till 4AM in the bar to HTFU and work on women with real issues.

How much time has she spent focusing on the blatant mysogeny that leaves women dead and injured VS trying to destroy Dawkins?

Yeah.
Was Dawkins insensitive and perhaps a bit callous?
Perhaps.
Was he completely wrong about the comparison?
Hardly.

Feryk
16th December 15, 11:46 AM
To make the comparison was irrational. He is perfectly within his bounds to say 'I made an offer, she refused then bitched about it on the internet.'

What he did made him look petty and small. And in the process has created tangible damage to his 'New Atheism' movement.

That does not excuse the radical feminist from her side of this either. If she wants equal treatment, she should be judged equally.

The death and rape threats she received are ridiculous and played into her narrative, btw. Those people didn't do Dawkins any favors.

Pie of Hate
16th December 15, 11:51 AM
She sounds like a whiny 18 year old. "Guys are always inviting me to their rooms for coffee. They're so sexist or racist or whatever" *Hair Flip*

Feryk
16th December 15, 11:59 AM
To you. But she's also a spokesperson for a LOT of women who feel disenfranchised by the New Atheism movement - primarily because it was SUPPOSED to be focussed on rationality, but in reality seemed to be supportive of a lot of misogyny.

Atheism has trouble attracting women at the best of times. While she may have been a self aggrandizing attention whore who was making social capital out of rejecting RICHARD DAWKINS, the response from the community showed that her concerns were well founded.

Pie of Hate
16th December 15, 12:36 PM
Since when have people needed to be in a club to not believe in something? Plus, if you have a penis, you're hard pushed to say anything that a feminist activist won't find offensive. Don't get me wrong, threats like that are never cool.

Pie of Hate
16th December 15, 12:38 PM
It's not the first time she's had these kind of threats either. Her chosen hobby attracts nutters.

Feryk
16th December 15, 01:44 PM
Since when have people needed to be in a club to not believe in something? Plus, if you have a penis, you're hard pushed to say anything that a feminist activist won't find offensive. Don't get me wrong, threats like that are never cool.

Agreed. Dealing with the radical feminism movement is difficult at the best of times. I've met a number of women who identify as feminists that are perfectly reasonable people. She is clearly not one of them.

And I also believe she exploited this scenario for her own benefit. I'm not cutting her ANY slack for this.

Dawkins et al. should have seen this for what it is and responded appropriately. Instead, they became exactly what she said they were.

Feryk
16th December 15, 01:46 PM
And, SF, if you're gonna neg me, could you please explain why at some point? If we disagree, surely we have proven that we can do that and still have a discussion by now, haven't we?

Üser Friendly
16th December 15, 01:50 PM
It wasn't Dawkins in the elevator

was it?

Feryk
16th December 15, 01:56 PM
Google 'Elevatorgate' and read until your eyeballs bleed for the details.

Üser Friendly
16th December 15, 02:26 PM
I read the wiki page, but it did not specify Dawkins

Wiki- she described how after the talk around 4am after leaving the hotel bar, a man from the group followed her into an elevator

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rebecca_Watson#Elevator_incident

Dr. Socially Liberal Fiscally Conservative Vermin
16th December 15, 03:33 PM
Oh wow big news, men hit on women.

Feryk
16th December 15, 03:39 PM
It's never specified, it's implied.

Üser Friendly
16th December 15, 04:22 PM
You've just got a dirty mind

Feryk
16th December 15, 05:02 PM
Me and several thousand other people.

NoBowie
16th December 15, 06:30 PM
A man doing nothing other than asking a woman to coffee or even sex and accepting her 'No' without any threatening gestures or further communication is not any sort of problem that needs to be addressed by anyone other than the psychologist or therapist of the woman who feels harassed by that.

MerkinMuffly
17th December 15, 03:04 AM
He must've been pretty drunk. https://images.encyclopediadramatica.se/c/c6/Rebecca_watson_ugly.jpg

Feryk
17th December 15, 10:53 AM
4 am. Explains a lot about this whole mess.

Syntactical Disruptorize
17th December 15, 12:28 PM

What the fuck is wrong with hitting on someone and being rejected?

I absolutely reject that frame.

Feryk
17th December 15, 03:37 PM
What the fuck is wrong with hitting on someone and being rejected?

I absolutely reject that frame.

Absolutely nothing. That's not the behaviour I was referencing.

Syntactical Disruptorize
19th December 15, 12:24 AM
Absolutely nothing. That's not the behaviour I was referencing.

What, then? Mocking an entitled cunt who made a big deal of being hit on?

Feryk
21st December 15, 01:15 PM
Yes, actually. That, and the outpouring of misogyny that came afterwards - though not directly from him.

He also did nothing to stop it.

Surely he had to know she was grandstanding to play to her own base at his expense. Why give the attention whore more ammunition?

Pie of Hate
22nd December 15, 04:27 AM
What was he supposed to do to stop it? Most of those crazy threats were, more than likely, from internet crazies that can't believe that women still exist.

They were both wrong for bringing a non-issue into the public view. They should leave that to the politicians.

Feryk
22nd December 15, 06:53 PM
What was he supposed to do to stop it? Most of those crazy threats were, more than likely, from internet crazies that can't believe that women still exist.

They were both wrong for bringing a non-issue into the public view. They should leave that to the politicians.

Thank you, you said it better than I did. What was he supposed to do to stop it? At the least, he could've come out and said, 'she's a raging attention whore, but no one deserves to die over this'.

Or something like it.

NoBowie
22nd December 15, 08:09 PM
http://i.imgur.com/VALEFCL.jpg?1

Pie of Hate
23rd December 15, 04:23 AM
Thank you, you said it better than I did. What was he supposed to do to stop it? At the least, he could've come out and said, 'she's a raging attention whore, but no one deserves to die over this'.

Or something like it.

Anything Dawkins would have said, would have pushed him deeper in the shit with the femenazis or, after a bit of back and forth, would have forced him to back down and issue some sort of half-arsed apology. She issued the first statement, he answered and then the internet filled in the blanks. People that vehemently support an "ism" shouldn't be allowed a public opinion.

Lesbianism has it's moments though.

Üser Friendly
23rd December 15, 04:58 AM
Anything Dawkins would have said, would have pushed him deeper in the shit with the femenazis or, after a bit of back and forth, would have forced him to back down and issue some sort of half-arsed apology.

Dirty

Syntactical Disruptorize
24th December 15, 09:34 AM
Yes, actually.
Strongly disagree. She deserved mockery. She acted as if an unwelcome flirtation were tantamount to sexual assault. Even by her own account, the incident was nugatory.

That, and the outpouring of misogyny that came afterwards - though not directly from him.
Much of what gets labeled misogyny these days is simply the process of a woman losing an argument.

I don't hate women. I just don't think much of Rebecca Watson.

He also did nothing to stop it.
Ah, the crime of failure to denounce, beloved by social justice bullies everywhere.

I don't think you're a bully. I do think you've bought into some questionable premises, and I don't connect with those premises...by policy.

MerkinMuffly
24th December 15, 02:55 PM
Bingo.

Feryk
28th December 15, 11:25 AM
Strongly disagree. She deserved mockery. She acted as if an unwelcome flirtation were tantamount to sexual assault. Even by her own account, the incident was nugatory.

Much of what gets labeled misogyny these days is simply the process of a woman losing an argument.

I don't hate women. I just don't think much of Rebecca Watson.

Ah, the crime of failure to denounce, beloved by social justice bullies everywhere.

I don't think you're a bully. I do think you've bought into some questionable premises, and I don't connect with those premises...by policy.

Chuck, I will rethink my position on this. Part of my thoughts on this are probably coloured by my rather low opinion of Dawkins to begin with. I do think that he IS a self appointed spokesman for the 'New Atheist' movement - and because of that, he has to be aware that all of his actions have consequences for New Atheism.

Which was evidenced by the drop in visits to the relevant websites, the low enrollment of women in general, etc.

MerkinMuffly
28th December 15, 03:22 PM
Watson and her ilk are divisive. They've gotten rich from stirring up hate.

Syntactical Disruptorize
30th December 15, 02:36 AM
I don't think much of Dawkins myself. However, I don't think it's his responsibility to truckle to the whims of every entitled woman.

Can't all of them be stupid and wrong? I like that idea.

Feryk
4th January 16, 12:03 PM
Agreed. It puts both their causes in a bad light.

MerkinMuffly
4th January 16, 02:25 PM
He should stick to evolutionary biology and leave the editorializing to us.