PDA

View Full Version : Being frugal when buying a car

Harpy
30th September 15, 01:13 PM
My car may be conking it. I couldn't care less about what I drive as long as it is an automatic and not a micro car or 4WD. Essentially I'm not happy about spending my money on a car. Practically I need a vehicle to get to work and also drive my child around so I know I have to shift my thinking around this. I don't have to like it.

This thread is about the best value buy you've made, the bomb that was 'the bomb', the lemon that was a party. Dr Max, push bikes don't count.

Üser Friendly
30th September 15, 01:32 PM
Mrs doofa does all the car selection

At present we have a Punto, and a Berlingo

The Punto is going to be changed for a van/pick up (Ute Lily) for my work

Second hand cars are a game of roulette

NoBowie
30th September 15, 03:04 PM
A good car is the one true source of happiness. I spend about 2k a month on payments, gas, and insurance for my 2 cars.

Worth every penny.

Get an FWD Audi A4. Safe, responsive, decent fuel mileage, and fun! Plus, you are a somewhat high level employee, you have to drive a nice car.

Convinced my boss of the same thing, he was driving a fricking Toyota Camry. Now he is driving a proper 5 series BMW.

My best value buy? My current GLA45 AMG. A bargain at 66k.

Harpy
30th September 15, 04:50 PM
I don't need to take a loan for a car at this stage of my life/career, I can buy outright. Insurance and annual registration is about $1.6k/p.a. It is a mental shift I need to make having grown up with parents who would rather buy property than fritter their money away on flashy status symbols.

I drive a European car (diesel, leather interior) now but my mechanic just yesterday advised against buying another one and the irony NoB is that he said I should buy a Toyota! I don't feel the need to be like the dopes who start working at the company and take out a loan on a sports car, the true leaders of the business go for understated cool, not flash and bang.

Harpy
30th September 15, 05:22 PM
All that being said I will check out the Audi showroom based on your recommendation.

Cullion
8th October 15, 05:30 PM
I have been driving a second hand Toyota diesel just like this

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/c7/Toyota_Avensis_front_20090814.jpg for 3 years. (model is 'Avensis' in the UK, dunno what it's called in Aus or the US).

I bought it because I saw a lot of the local taxi drivers used them. It is cheap to run and it has a shockingly powerful engine. I am normally a careful driver but I have had no problem accelerating away from most prestige German cars on the motorway when I've wanted to, and it has never broken down.

I trust Japanese cars now, but they could perhaps take it easy with the electronics and just use a nice normal electromechanical ignition. Restarting this car after a stall feels like I'm waiting for a computer to reboot rather than just turning a key. Other than that niggle it's great.

Diesel makes sense if you do a lot of long distance driving between cities, but I don't. I don't care about CO2 emissions, but hydrocarbon exhaust fumes in towns and cities do have an effect on people's lung health, so next time I might get a Toyota or Lexus hybrid of some kind.

NoBowie
8th October 15, 07:44 PM
I have had no problem accelerating away from most prestige German cars on the motorway when I've wanted to, they let me

http://i.imgur.com/pZc8Jos.jpg

Cullion
9th October 15, 04:21 AM
It has a very well designed 2.2 litre diesel engine dude. You misunderestimate the raw BANZAI power of japanese automotive engineering.

NoBowie
9th October 15, 08:33 AM
174 hp and 251 lb·ft of torque is not bad at all.

Most of the German carmakers offer the models they sell in Europe with engines starting with less output than that.

The BMW 3 series starts at 114 hp 192 lb·ft of torque for their diesel in Europe, but you can also get a 309 hp 465 lb·ft torque version. You are passing the cheap people.

Harpy
9th October 15, 01:36 PM
Looks like I'll get a Toyota ala Cullion and my mechanic when I get to it. Thanks for the review Cull. What colour is it?

NoBowie
9th October 15, 02:29 PM
Pink.

Toyotas are so boring and bourgeois. I am disappointed.

Test drive one and then compare to some German cars. (Audi A4 or A3, BMW 3 series)

Cullion
9th October 15, 02:44 PM
My car's the same silver shade as the one in the picture. I agree it's not the most exciting car, I just wanted reliability and value for money in a family-sized car at the time, but it has made me trust Japanese quality and maybe next time I'll see what Japan has to offer when shopping for something a bit more.. Don Draper.

If I was going to drive a German car I'd go for a 2nd hand E-class mercedes convertible, because Audi A4s and BMW 3 series in the UK are forever associated with desperately aspirational people who have to wear suits to work but make less than I do in a t-shirt, and I'll never be able to shake off the 'uncool' image.

NoBowie
9th October 15, 08:22 PM
Audi A4s and BMW 3 series in the UK are forever associated with desperately aspirational people who have to wear suits to work but make less than I do in a t-shirt, and I'll never be able to shake off the 'uncool' image.

They are associated with people who are trying. Toyotas are for people who have given up.

Harpy
9th October 15, 09:40 PM
Honda, Kia, Daewoo, Suzuki, Mitsubishi and Toyota (NoB don't have a stroke after reading those names at once) seem common and reliable Japanese and Korean brands. I'm looking for good value, reliability and ease of getting spare parts. Not concerned what others at work think.

I learnt to drive in a Mitsubishi Lancer...

Harpy
9th October 15, 09:44 PM
I forever associate BMW's with my cousin who got hair plugs at 32, cries to his parents about not getting enough funds from them, wears bullet proof sunglasses and who kind of looks like Tom Cruise.

Syntactical Disruptorize
9th October 15, 11:31 PM
They are associated with people who are trying.
That's true. You are very trying.

Harpy
9th October 15, 11:54 PM
Cy - would you share with us the make of your chariot?

Üser Friendly
10th October 15, 01:25 AM
I like Cullion's tip to look at what the taxi drivers are driving

Cullion
10th October 15, 03:54 AM
They are associated with people who are desperately trying to emulate their betters. Toyotas are for people who do not care.

ftfy

Cullion
10th October 15, 03:57 AM
I like Cullion's tip to look at what the taxi drivers are driving

I do the same kind of thing with other stuff. I bought a Henry hoover because office cleaners all seemed to use them.

Harpy
10th October 15, 04:20 AM
I like Cullion's tip.

Üser Friendly
10th October 15, 07:21 AM
I do the same kind of thing with other stuff. I bought a Henry hoover because office cleaners all seemed to use them.

I heard it was the friendly face that cleaners liked

Cullion
10th October 15, 12:11 PM
And there's nothing wrong with that.

Üser Friendly
10th October 15, 01:47 PM
It makes the job that bit more enjoyable

Adouglasmhor
13th October 15, 12:45 AM
My car's the same silver shade as the one in the picture. I agree it's not the most exciting car, I just wanted reliability and value for money in a family-sized car at the time, but it has made me trust Japanese quality and maybe next time I'll see what Japan has to offer when shopping for something a bit more.. Don Draper.

If I was going to drive a German car I'd go for a 2nd hand E-class mercedes convertible, because Audi A4s and BMW 3 series in the UK are forever associated with desperately aspirational people who have to wear suits to work but make less than I do in a t-shirt, and I'll never be able to shake off the 'uncool' image.
Protip, to really piss of shiny suited sales types, even if you don't play drive to work with the top down and a set of golf clubs sitting up on the back seat.

Adouglasmhor
13th October 15, 12:46 AM
Honda, Kia, Daewoo, Suzuki, Mitsubishi and Toyota (NoB don't have a stroke after reading those names at once) seem common and reliable Japanese and Korean brands. I'm looking for good value, reliability and ease of getting spare parts. Not concerned what others at work think.

I learnt to drive in a Mitsubishi Lancer...

Mazda and Hyundai as well.

Harpy
13th October 15, 01:56 AM
^ yes! And how about Subaru.

Harpy
13th October 15, 06:50 PM
Dougie - We forgot Nissan

NoBowie
13th October 15, 07:48 PM
Never settle. You can afford a fuel efficient European make that will give you the extra luxuries and performance a lady of your means deserves.

Harpy
13th October 15, 09:01 PM
I'm really stressed right now I may need the number of the place your friend goes to get relief. Don't ask me why I've enrolled in my fourth degree to commence in November. On top of that starting to organise contractors to get my current apartment ready to lease (costly :/) and over the weekend looking to buy my third place. Work and family also need a lot of time, effort and attention.

Car purchase now on the back burner. Will just get it serviced, remind me to do that (I need a PA).

So much other stuff to keep track of and deliver, also a couple of verbal ass-kickings to hand out, Xmas season around the corner so a couple of invites not to mention a Halloween party I'm supposed to have time to organise costumes for (this is Australia!!).

Oh and I'm turning 35 in a few weeks :)

NoBowie
13th October 15, 10:46 PM
Yeah. My friends move into his new house times exactly with the birth of his twins.

Teaching school is a pain in the ass. The novelty has long worn off.

Cullion
14th October 15, 06:11 AM
Don't ask me why I've enrolled in my fourth degree to commence in November.

To avoid your husband as much as possible, duh.

Üser Friendly
14th October 15, 07:58 AM
Yeah. My friends move into his new house times exactly with the birth of his twins.

Teaching school is a pain in the ass. The novelty has long worn off.

We moved into our house the day our first was due

Luckily she was 4 day overdue so we had a bit of time to settle in

I expect the wife held her in till the nest was ready

NoBowie
14th October 15, 10:05 AM
I expect the wife held her in till the nest was ready

She has strong muscles down there from all of the times she tries to keep you out.

Üser Friendly
14th October 15, 10:35 AM
She loves little doofa

Adouglasmhor
15th October 15, 12:33 AM
Teaching school is a pain in the ass. The students have long since learned not to get caught alone anywhere near me.

Harpy
10th November 15, 05:03 AM
I'm getting a Hyundai i30 new by salary packaging (total cost of ownership - repayments, registration, insurance, fuel and servicing) are deducted from my pre-tax salary thereby reducing my total taxable income. It's a 3 year finance lease with the option of refinancing at the end of term or trading the car in (any profit I make is tax exempt).

NoB - you must be so ashamed of me :)

MerkinMuffly
10th November 15, 12:17 PM
I always pay cash for automobiles. The only debt I've ever had is a mortgage.

Harpy
10th November 15, 12:24 PM
Makes sense in the US, cars are so much cheaper. A Mazda or Hyundai hatchback here is about $26-$28k and within 3 years is worth half that.

NoBowie
10th November 15, 02:54 PM

You are dead to me.

Cullion
10th November 15, 04:41 PM
A Mazda or Hyundai hatchback here is about $26-$28k and within 3 years is worth half that.

That's because it's full of bullet holes by then. Why don't you weld spikes and armour plates to it like everybody else in Oz?

Harpy
10th November 15, 07:12 PM
Mel Gibson version or that fool they cast this time?

Hope you approve of my choice. My husband, similar to NoB, says he will never be seen in the car. Win-win.

Harpy
10th November 15, 09:46 PM
NoB - I'm listening to a couple of car afficionados at work (one has been racing cars since he was a kid). They are nice guys but so awkward and sad in their own way. You could be one of them. Example, there's a chubba who married young and had kids right away, his wife is about 5" taller than him and his kids are behemoths (perhaps they aren't his), he's a friend of sorts but also someone I have to manage in an oppositional role at work and often has the proverbial blow up (strokes/tantrums).

Another guy is an autistic genius, half blind, possibly a virgin, wealthy but humble and a few years older than you. The newest member is about 4'9". I like to wear my 3" heels when I have to talk to him.

NoBowie
10th November 15, 10:11 PM
NoB - I'm listening to a couple of car afficionados at work (one has been racing cars since he was a kid). They are nice but so awkward and sad in their own way.

So like you then?

there's a chubba who married young and had kids right away, his wife is about 5" taller than him and his kids are behemoths (perhaps they aren't his), he's a friend of sorts but also someone I have to manage in an oppositional role at work and often has the proverbial blow up (strokes/tantrums).

Another guy is an autistic genius, half blind, possibly a virgin, wealthy but humble and a few years older than you. The newest member is about 4'9". I like to wear my 3" heels when I have to talk to him.

Yes, liking cars makes you short and goofy. You have proof.

Harpy
10th November 15, 10:58 PM
Yes, liking cars makes you short and goofy.
You said it!

Üser Friendly
11th November 15, 01:15 AM
I'm getting a Hyundai i30 new by salary packaging (total cost of ownership - repayments, registration, insurance, fuel and servicing) are deducted from my pre-tax salary thereby reducing my total taxable income. It's a 3 year finance lease with the option of refinancing at the end of term or trading the car in (any profit I make is tax exempt).

Well wear

Feryk
18th November 15, 05:36 PM
Hope you approve of my choice. My husband, similar to NoB...

I'm not sure which one, but you damn well insulted someone there.

NoBowie
18th November 15, 05:42 PM
I'm not sure which one, but you damn well insulted someone there.

No, she meant that I am similar to her husband in that at some point in our lives we will both have made sweet love to her.

Feryk
18th November 15, 07:00 PM
No, she meant that I am similar to her husband in that at some point in our lives we will both have made sweet love to her.

Right. So she was insulting you then.

Angry Mandrill
19th November 15, 09:10 AM
i approve of this thread. we switched from a $40k suv to a $17k scion xb. i don't need a car and don't drive it. the wife has a short commute and likes it. i spent some of the difference on my bike. win, no?

NoBowie
19th November 15, 10:27 AM
i approve of this thread. we switched from a $40k suv to a $17k scion xb. i don't need a car and don't drive it. the wife has a short commute and likes it. i spent some of the difference on my bike. win, no?

Eh. I don't care what the wife drives... except I have to drive it sometimes.

So, I only get cars I like to drive.

Depends on what you like to spend your money on and your income. My car is very similar in size to the Scion Xb (Only 7 inches longer, 2 inches wider, 4 inches shorter in height) and is a pretty useful family car. It is a hatchback so it can support the run to Costco and it is easy to park. It even has enough ground clearance to clear the bump stops at the end of parking spaces.

However, when I want to kick it in the pants it has ~340 to the wheels, all wheel drive, huge drilled / slotted rotors, and handles like a dream. Of course, it also has a bunch of luxury features as well and a great interior. Totally worth the extra 50 grand over a Scion to me.

Harpy
19th November 15, 04:23 PM
Mandrill - schwing!! NoB's is 7 inches longer and 2 inches wider than yours which pretty much means he's packing a frankfurter in that Audi.

Feryk
19th November 15, 05:29 PM
When did Lily start making dick jokes?

Üser Friendly
20th November 15, 01:11 AM
Why doesn't Lily know the size of my dick?

Angry Mandrill
20th November 15, 09:56 AM
well done, lily. in my defense i remind you that i have a 600 lb, 8 ft long appendage that drags me noisily all about town. the cries of 'what a dick!' that follow me are proof!

Pie of Hate
20th November 15, 11:17 AM
Can you support that 'proof' with a graphical interpretation?

Angry Mandrill
20th November 15, 11:25 AM
ie, COCKPIX?!

NoBowie
20th November 15, 11:33 AM
a 600 lb, 8 ft long appendage

I am betting you could have purchased a much more frugal appendage to drag you around, but you wanted a particular type that is beyond the norm in areas you consider important.

You have proven my point.

Üser Friendly
20th November 15, 12:35 PM
I am willing to accept Mandrill's anecdotal evidence

Feryk
20th November 15, 12:45 PM
Doofa, be advised that if I wanted Lily to see my dick, she would see it.

It hasn't happened.

Üser Friendly
20th November 15, 12:52 PM
You'd send her a magnifying glass?

Feryk
20th November 15, 01:58 PM
I have 10X zoom on my cellphone!

Pie of Hate
23rd November 15, 10:07 AM
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-UVhyW1TWsv0/U-iMr5Q4III/AAAAAAAAGIY/Yo-DAZwnsv0/s1600/Penis,+mathematical+equation+1+-+0b.jpg

Or for those that are so inclined:-

Balls:

y = (x-2)^2/(sqrt(sqrt(14)-(x-2)^2)/9999+1)

Shaft:

y = sqrt(6.25-(x-(4.5+sqrt(3.5)))^2)/9999+3.5

and

y = sqrt(4-(x-(4+sqrt(3.5)))^2)/9999+6

Head:

y = (-2.5x+2.5*(7+sqrt(3.5))+3.5)/(sqrt(.5-(x-(6.5+sqrt(3.5)))^2)/9999+1)

and

y = 6*(x-9)^2/(sqrt(.1-(x-9.35)^2)/9999+1)+3

and

y = -(x-8.3)^2/(sqrt(1-(x-8.5)^2)/9999+1)+7

Angry Mandrill
23rd November 15, 12:20 PM
that could not have been posted by me. have you forgotten the story of the headless horseman?

Üser Friendly
23rd November 15, 01:50 PM
Or for those that are so inclined:-

Balls:

y = (x-2)^2/(sqrt(sqrt(14)-(x-2)^2)/9999+1)

Shaft:

y = sqrt(6.25-(x-(4.5+sqrt(3.5)))^2)/9999+3.5

and

y = sqrt(4-(x-(4+sqrt(3.5)))^2)/9999+6

Head:

y = (-2.5x+2.5*(7+sqrt(3.5))+3.5)/(sqrt(.5-(x-(6.5+sqrt(3.5)))^2)/9999+1)

and

y = 6*(x-9)^2/(sqrt(.1-(x-9.35)^2)/9999+1)+3

and

y = -(x-8.3)^2/(sqrt(1-(x-8.5)^2)/9999+1)+7

For balance please post a monorchid version

Pie of Hate
23rd November 15, 02:17 PM
Can't mess with symmetry ma fren

Üser Friendly
23rd November 15, 02:30 PM
^Bollokist

Harpy
21st May 18, 06:29 AM
The Hyundai i30 has served me well for 2.5 years+. Looking for a mini-SUV next so my son has more leg room now he's 4. Also having to battle school traffic now, I want something a bit sturdier than my small car.

Actually considering Hyundai again, it has been problem free so far.

Jean-Paul Sartre
21st May 18, 07:08 AM
The Hyundai i30 has served me well for 2.5 years+. Looking for a mini-SUV next so my son has more leg room now he's 4. Also having to battle school traffic now, I want something a bit sturdier than my small car.

Actually considering Hyundai again, it has been problem free so far.

Goddamit.

Get a Mercedes GLA45 AMG.

Or a GLC. Or a Land Rover. Something cool.

Harpy
21st May 18, 07:35 AM
Honda?

I am not the most cautious driver and don't want to ding or scrape a nice car :/ You should see my poor i30.

Jean-Paul Sartre
21st May 18, 10:41 AM
Honda?

I am not the most cautious driver and don't want to ding or scrape a nice car :/ You should see my poor i30.

Cars are meant to be used. My Mercedes has 70k miles already. In 3 years.

Also, safety is not just about the crash rating.

Luxury cars generally have more safety features and alerts. Don't you want your son to be in the safest car possible?

Cullion
21st May 18, 11:27 AM
People like different things Jean-Paul. Maybe Lily would like a man with a big, fast car to drive her to nice places instead of having to take care of herself ?

Jean-Paul Sartre
21st May 18, 11:39 AM
People like different things Jean-Paul. Maybe Lily would like a man with a big, fast car to drive her to nice places instead of having to take care of herself ?

The point of having a nice car is that it takes care of you in ways a lesser car does not.

Harpy
21st May 18, 04:12 PM
Does your Merc have any little scrapes on it? I've done 22k miles in under 2.5 years. There are lots of Japanese models that have great safety ratings.

No gilded cage fantasies thank you very much.

Jean-Paul Sartre
21st May 18, 07:57 PM
Safety ratings are only for impacts, not preventative measures.

Harpy
21st May 18, 08:15 PM
My preventative measures:
1. Sleep well
2. Assume the worst of everyone on the roads
3. Prepare for your journey and give yourself plenty of time to reach your destination
4. Don't get distracted by phones
5. Drive for the conditions and within the speed limit

Pie of Hate
22nd May 18, 03:42 AM
"My Preventative Measures": A Lilly sexytimes story.

Harpy
22nd May 18, 05:16 AM
You guys are driving me into Christian colleague's arms!!

Pie of Hate
22nd May 18, 05:27 AM
So, you haven't set fire to him yet? I expected more effort from you.

Harpy
22nd May 18, 05:51 AM
What do you and your Mrs drive Pie?

Pie of Hate
22nd May 18, 05:54 AM
Mrs doesn't drive and I have a plug-in hybrid Mitsubishi. It's a company car.

Harpy
22nd May 18, 07:03 AM
NoB will be having an apoplexy right now.

He may be the only Eurocar hold out around these parts.

Pie of Hate
22nd May 18, 08:00 AM
The choices were either Mitsubishi or a Citroen. It's a bit of a "What type of shit do you want in this sandwich?" situation.

Üser Friendly
31st May 18, 12:15 PM
You guys are driving me into Christian colleague's arms!!

That pub sounds shit