PDA

View Full Version : OUT WITH THE ALPHAS!!!!!!!

Dr. Socially Liberal Fiscally Conservative Vermin
15th July 15, 06:42 AM
In a study appearing today in the journal PloS Biology (online at www.plosbiology.org), researchers describe the drastic temperamental and tonal shift that occurred in a troop of 62 baboons when its most belligerent members vanished from the scene. The victims were all dominant adult males that had been strong and snarly enough to fight with a neighboring baboon troop over the spoils at a tourist lodge garbage dump, and were exposed there to meat tainted with bovine tuberculosis, which soon killed them. Left behind in the troop, designated the Forest Troop, were the 50 percent of males that had been too subordinate to try dump brawling, as well as all the females and their young. With that change in demographics came a cultural swing toward pacifism, a relaxing of the usually parlous baboon hierarchy, and a willingness to use affection and mutual grooming rather than threats, swipes and bites to foster a patriotic spirit.

Remarkably, the Forest Troop has maintained its genial style over two decades, even though the male survivors of the epidemic have since died or disappeared and been replaced by males from the outside. (As is the case for most primates, baboon females spend their lives in their natal home, while the males leave at puberty to seek their fortunes elsewhere.) The persistence of communal comity suggests that the resident baboons must somehow be instructing the immigrants in the unusual customs of the tribe.

''We don't yet understand the mechanism of transmittal,'' said Dr. Robert M. Sapolsky, a professor of biology and neurology at Stanford, ''but the jerky new guys are obviously learning, 'We don't do things like that around here.' '' Dr. Sapolsky wrote the report with his colleague and wife, Dr. Lisa J. Share.

No Time for Bullies: Baboons Retool Their Culture - Full NY Times article (http://www.nytimes.com/2004/04/13/science/no-time-for-bullies-baboons-retool-their-culture.html)

So errr yeah, should we have a cull or sumit?

Spade: The Real Snake
15th July 15, 07:07 AM
"somethingsomethingsomething the meek shall inherit the earth"

15th July 15, 07:14 AM
YEAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!

OZZ
15th July 15, 10:14 AM
Wimps.

15th July 15, 10:26 AM
YOU'LL BE THE FIRST AGAINST THE WALL!!!

Pie of Hate
15th July 15, 10:34 AM
YOU'LL BE THE FIRST AGAINST THE WALL!!! http://www.digdang.com/media/images/up_against_the_wall_13992.jpg

Is that how you picture him, in your mind?

15th July 15, 10:41 AM
^pervert

15th July 15, 10:42 AM
Dont worry NoB you wouldnt be in any danger.

Feryk
15th July 15, 10:56 AM
For this to work for humans, you would need to poison a bunch of gold-digger vaginas to kill off the Alpha Male population.

My solution to make the world better is just poison all of the tattoo parlor needles. :p

Nuke Jersey. Or, you know, poison in the bronzer.

Harpy
16th July 15, 03:49 AM
Tainted meat, I don't see why most of you aren't dead yet.

nihilist
16th July 15, 04:10 AM
immune systems need practice.
You'll be dead before I will.

nihilist
16th July 15, 04:10 AM
Unless I fall face first into your tainted meat.

nihilist
16th July 15, 04:11 AM
Or meated taint as the case may be.

16th July 15, 07:34 AM
Tainted meat, I don't see why most of you aren't dead yet.
Bish, like I root about in a fucking trash heap.
It's not like I'm an Australian, or something.

Robot Jesus
28th July 15, 01:09 PM
So errr yeah, should we have a cull or sumit?

I know you're joking, but the alpha/beta distinction don't really apply to humans. while many primitive societies practice polygamy, monogamy is a far more common practice. In a monogamous society, almost everyone gets some poon; which is not the case in species with strict alpha/beta/omega distinction.

Üser Friendly
28th July 15, 01:32 PM
^Gamma

Feryk
28th July 15, 02:34 PM
I know you're joking, but the alpha/beta distinction don't really apply to humans. while many primitive societies practice polygamy, monogamy is a far more common practice. In a monogamous society, almost everyone gets some poon; which is not the case in species with strict alpha/beta/omega distinction.

Translation: Please don't take away the low hanging fruit. It's the only poon I will ever get.

Robot Jesus
28th July 15, 02:50 PM
how would killing all the dominate males decrease my rate of success?

Feryk
28th July 15, 02:51 PM
how would killing all the dominate males decrease my rate of success?

Women would rather go lesbian than be with you?

Syntactical Disruptorize
28th July 15, 03:15 PM
This is far from a monogamous society. It's a hypergamous one. Alphas get laid; betas get milked for their money and excuses about headaches. Don't bother denying that the latter sounds familiar.

Feryk
28th July 15, 03:19 PM
As much as we tease RJ, I'm sure he gets some play. He said himself that many of his girlfriends cannot believe he would bother to be with them.

Üser Friendly
28th July 15, 03:40 PM
Cy is hexadecimal

28th July 15, 04:12 PM
As much as we tease RJ, I'm sure he gets some play. He said himself that many of his girlfriends cannot believe he would bother to be with them.
That's not exactly "brag-worthy"

Harpy
28th July 15, 05:27 PM
Why is it so important to be 'Alpha'? What does it mean to you (addressed to all)?

Does it exclude being a social creature who can participate in group activities and necessary communal negotiation?

Syntactical Disruptorize
28th July 15, 06:06 PM
Easy enough to do when you pick rancid head cases that no man with choices would date.

Harpy
28th July 15, 06:25 PM
Everyone needs and deserves love.

We are so full of self-hate. Someone showed me love on the weekend in the most unexpected way (not surprise buttsex) and it brought me to tears. I sifted through why I found it so hard to accept and it boils down to how we are meted out love based on conditions throughout our lives and probably do so ourselves.

Syntactical Disruptorize
28th July 15, 06:40 PM
Everyone needs and deserves love.

We are so full of self-hate. Someone showed me love on the weekend in the most unexpected way (not surprise buttsex) and it brought me to tears. I sifted through why I found it so hard to accept and it boils down to how we are meted out love based on conditions throughout our lives and probably do so ourselves.

I agree with all of this. It won't stop me from teasing RJ, of course.

Feryk
29th July 15, 12:59 PM
...and someone needs to get on the surprise buttsex for Lily! I saw what u did thar!

Pie of Hate
31st July 15, 04:12 AM
Unless it wasn't surprise butt-secs because she was expecting, nay, demanding it.