PDA

View Full Version : Omar Khadr Free On Bail

OZZ
8th May 15, 09:33 AM
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/omar-khadr-free-on-bail-vows-to-prove-he-is-a-good-person-1.3065692

Does anybody believe this man is a threat ?
The PM's office is claiming he still holds to extremist views and is unrepentant. But that isn't the impression I get.
What I see is a young man who was tossed into the middle of a war by his family and had radical Islamic perspectives thrust upon him as a child.
He doesn't seem bitter or angry at all.
He was in Guantanamo Bay for a decade and bounced around other prisons in North America for another 7-8 years.
He tossed a grenade during the fighting in the early days of the Afghanistan war and killed a soldier/medic, and wounded several others.
What do you think , Cullion.
Free or nor be free ?

Harpy
8th May 15, 03:22 PM
During all that time in prison was he given access to any education, training, counselling, contact with the community to rehabilitate him?

Transitioning into society without the above will prove disastrous.

Feryk
12th May 15, 10:51 AM
He's playing a role. He is free, and he will keep his nose clean so he can sue the Canadian/US government for millions.

Romeo Dallaire thinks he should be considered a child soldier.

But child soldiers are conscripted, they don't volunteer. He was only too happy to carry on the family tradition.

Feryk
12th May 15, 10:53 AM
http://rlv.zcache.com/typo_errorists_win_mug-r86bd0c511b8547829c43ab5fdce5e0d2_x7jgr_8byvr_324. jpg

Cullion
12th May 15, 02:53 PM
But child soldiers are conscripted, they don't volunteer. He was only too happy to carry on the family tradition.

Child soldiers are valued by despots precisely because they are easy to manipulate. They have the single minded zeal, dedication and uncomplicated desire to emulate their leaders that only a child has. They don't just volunteer, they often work harder than cynical adults to be the best that they can be.

A 15 year old is under the age of full criminal responsibility in my view, and the fact that he was attacking armed soldiers in uniform on foreign soil means that I regard him as a POW.

Robot Jesus
12th May 15, 03:01 PM
I see no reason not to release a POW on bail if he poses no flight risk or danger of committing further crimes against humanity.

What I don't understand is how he's on bail after a plea deal, I thought plea bargains meant everything was settled?

OZZ
13th May 15, 06:51 PM
I am of the opinion that he should have been treated as a POW right from the start - as should all of the 'enemy combatants' that the USA declared unworthy of the rights afforded captured prisoners under the Geneva Convention.
Not because I sympathize with these jihadi fuckwits, but the fact that the United States just decides to ignore international protocol whenever it suits them bothers me.

As for Khadr, I am sure at some point there will be a legal suit against the Canadian government for allowing him to languish in that hellhole in Cuba for so long. I'm sure there will be a book deal, a movie of his life etc. He will end up richer than I ever will be..
But as long as he doesn't plan on stirring up any Islamist shit and becoming a terrorist - I don't begrudge him.

Feryk
14th May 15, 12:31 PM
^Nailed it.^