PDA

View Full Version : Helping a fat friend

Harpy
28th March 15, 06:55 PM
No Snake, not NoB because he's NOT fat.

A 90kg friend has turned to me for motivation as she works to lose weight. She's 5'5" and only 25 years old but has been plump as long as she can remember. In the last 2-3 years she's broken previous records and crossed the 80kg and now 90kg mark (close to Plissken weight just shy of 200lb). I think she could be a few kilos more than she admits.

So for the last 2 weeks she texts me everyday on her workout and I message her back once I'm done as a buddy system to keep her motivated.

I have yet to talk about her diet and she's already pre-empted it by asking silly questions like whether she can eat certain brands of biscuits and that she's giving up red meat but can't give up poultry and eggs. I briefly told her to use the 80:20 principle to start her diet clean up.

She's skipped 1-2 workouts this week. She texts all sorts of things but I just cut it down to "I've done x workout at this time, have you done your session?".

How else can I support her without taking ownership for her motivation? Her boyfriend has enabled her weight gain because he didn't want to hurt her feelings over the last couple of years but I think mutually they've arrived at the recent conclusion that she needs to lose weight. He needs to lose a good 10kg too so he's keeping her company when time permits on her walks and weight sessions.

For those of you who have asked a friend to motivate or support your weight loss journey, what works and what doesn't work?

Spade: The Real Snake
28th March 15, 07:24 PM
Show her a pic of RJ and tell her he loves him some fatties.
If that doesn't get her to drop the tonnage, nothing will.

Adouglasmhor
29th March 15, 01:14 AM
Mirror selfies and tape measure not weight is what you need to get her to do to track progress.

Spade: The Real Snake
29th March 15, 08:42 AM
For those of you who have asked a friend to motivate or support your weight loss journey, what works and what doesn't work?
Nothing.
Motivation comes from within.
Either you want something or you don't, and no amount of cheerleading will help you accomplish it.
She needs to just dig deep, check her ego, taste the pain and fucking do it.

Cullion
29th March 15, 09:41 AM
I got a friend from 10 pushup to 30 pushup sets in a couple of months by tapping him in the ribs with the toe of my boot to force 2 more reps out of him whenever he claimed he couldn't do another rep.

NoBowie
29th March 15, 02:37 PM
http://i.imgur.com/sbhwMUO.jpg

Dr. Socially Liberal Fiscally Conservative Vermin
30th March 15, 10:14 AM
...and finally the fat friend appears...

Harpy
30th March 15, 11:11 AM
Hi Max :)

Syntactical Disruptorize
30th March 15, 12:55 PM
No Snake, not NoB because he's NOT fat.
I doubt anyone thinks your fat "friend" is Snake or NoB. The truth is a bit more obvious than that.

nihilist
30th March 15, 12:58 PM
I got a friend from 10 pushup to 30 pushup sets in a couple of seconds by putting a gun to his head.

Syntactical Disruptorize
30th March 15, 01:06 PM
Didn't Daffy Duck lay a golden egg when presented with a similar incentive?

nihilist
30th March 15, 01:11 PM
Is that a euphemism for shit a brick?

Syntactical Disruptorize
30th March 15, 01:35 PM
XP9x8-BmOtY

Not explicitly so in the original, but who knows what was intended. They might have, uh, slipped one in there.

NoBowie
30th March 15, 03:12 PM
Snake endorsed method of helping fat friends::

http://i.imgur.com/1HdYJCX.jpg

Harpy
18th April 15, 07:31 AM
Snake - you are going to crack it. So FF messages me that she has lost 4kg. I congratulated her but didn't want to say it was probably water weight or just inconsistent weighing.

Then she texts me that because she's on the rag she hasn't worked out since Wednesday. I crack it and tell her it's not a disease and since she's well enough to eat that she better be exercising as well. I've calmed down and just told her what that would mean on an annual basis (missing about 2.5 months of exercise) and her weight loss is her responsibility.

nihilist
18th April 15, 10:59 AM
Lily lost 50 lbs after a strong cup of coffee.

Üser Friendly
18th April 15, 12:10 PM
Reece lost 50lbs when he stoped swallowing sperm

Harpy
18th April 15, 05:21 PM
I don't understand either statement.

nihilist
18th April 15, 06:41 PM
i nevur stoped swallowing sperm

AAAAAA
18th April 15, 09:56 PM
I don't see why you need to weigh yourself, except if once in a while. Dont you use belts with holes that you can adjust to different circumferences, or trousers you can or cannot wear? That's more than enough info.

seriously, I'm not trying to be patronizing, I really don't get it. I don't even own a scale.

Feryk
20th April 15, 01:20 PM
When you are trying to lose weight, collecting data matters. Some track inches, some do pounds, some track calories and activity.

Belt tightening might just mean you are wearing your pants tighter. You really have no idea how weird the psychology can get.

I wouldn't weigh myself daily or anything, but every week or two makes sense. Tracking food intake works when you take the time to do it. Step counters, workout diaries, whatever. It all helps.

nihilist
20th April 15, 01:21 PM
The only thing that matters is eating less calories.

Feryk
20th April 15, 01:23 PM
Than what?

nihilist
20th April 15, 01:24 PM
Lily: Why am I so fat?

Reese: Oh, I don't know, perhaps it might be because YOU EAT TOO MUCH GODDAMN FOOD.

nihilist
20th April 15, 01:24 PM
Than what?
Than you burn.

Feryk
20th April 15, 01:25 PM
How many calories do I burn?

Feryk
20th April 15, 01:26 PM
How many calories are in what I eat?

nihilist
20th April 15, 01:27 PM
Eat less till you look better.

nihilist
20th April 15, 01:28 PM
It's not rocket science.

Feryk
20th April 15, 01:28 PM
No, it's not. And of course, you are right. It's just easier to understand when data is collected.

nihilist
20th April 15, 01:33 PM
It takes a certain kind of person to collect that data and stick with it.
Most people will do better by changing bad habits and eating healthier food.
Slow incremental changes are the key, not drastic LOSE WEIGHT NOW mindsets.

AAAAAA
21st April 15, 05:07 AM
When you are trying to lose weight, collecting data matters. Some track inches, some do pounds, some track calories and activity.

Belt tightening might just mean you are wearing your pants tighter. You really have no idea how weird the psychology can get.

I wouldn't weigh myself daily or anything, but every week or two makes sense. Tracking food intake works when you take the time to do it. Step counters, workout diaries, whatever. It all helps.

You're right, it's not useless, and I also kind of know when I ate more or did more exercise than average to go along with belt tightening so it's not really an isolate; but I'm not for tracking data points because as moles said it's more about changing lifestyle, and I fare better doing things "in the moment" without thinking, than following a strict plan, till I end up having changed it. Say, I prefer thinking "I'll walk the 30 minutes to town" than counting how many steps I took, and then doing it again and again because I did it yesterday, why not today too.

Feryk
21st April 15, 11:48 AM
I applaud whatever approach works for you. Honestly, it's a personal decision how to get/stay in shape. The key is to make an effort, whatever that is.

NoBowie
3rd December 15, 04:09 AM
http://i.imgur.com/CeUxUcG.jpg

NoBowie
31st December 17, 09:56 PM
KxGRhd_iWuE

Harpy
8th January 18, 05:38 AM
Fat friend had a second child three months ago. Fat friend is still fat (but pretty).

MerkinMuffly
8th January 18, 07:09 AM
Wow, that Nihilist guy is an ass.

Harpy
13th March 18, 10:45 PM
I concur.