PDA

View Full Version : Floyd Mayweather vs Manny Pacquiao

Dr. Socially Liberal Fiscally Conservative Vermin
21st February 15, 12:48 PM
Floyd Mayweather has announced he has agreed a deal to fight Manny Pacquiao in May.

The undefeated 11-times world champion posted a picture of the signed contract on social network Shots and confirmed the fight would take place on May 2, adding: "I promised the fans we would get this done and we did."

Full Independent article. (http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/general/boxing/floyd-mayweather-vs-manny-pacquiao-pair-agree-to-fight-in-las-vegas-in-may-10061083.html)

OK who's yer money on?

Spade: The Real Snake
21st February 15, 03:07 PM
Now....Mayweather.
5 years ago, Pacqy.

NoBowie
21st February 15, 04:10 PM
My bet is that the promoters and managers win.

OZZ
21st February 15, 06:55 PM
Exactly what Snake said...
I hope I'm wrong, but I the past five years have been much harder on Manny considering the wars he has been through. Meanwhile, Mayweather has been slapping his wife around and toying with second-raters in the ring.
I believe there was a deliberate effort on the part of Mayweather and his team to stall this fight so Manny would lose a step.

22nd February 15, 10:12 AM
I hope I'm wrong, too. The last Mayweather I cheered for was his Uncle Roger, back in the 80s.

OZZ
20th April 15, 11:28 AM
The May 2015 edition of THE RING magazine is flying off the shelves and getting stupid money on ebay in anticipation of the fight.
Luckily, I live in Canada where boxing isn't as big and I know what magazine shops are most likely to have copies of sought after mags so I went down to the News Depot yesterday and snagged the last two.

Feryk
20th April 15, 12:37 PM
Love to see Manny win this one, but I doubt it.

OZZ
22nd April 15, 09:20 AM
So it looks like I will be hosting this one. The bars will be too crazy and I am too old to deal with the idiots such an event turns out. I also don't feel like spending an extra three hours in a bar just to maintain a table.
The fight is $85/95 bucks depending on whether you want to pay the extra for HD lol
I don't like having people over at my house, quite honestly. But I will for this event.

Feryk
22nd April 15, 10:07 AM
Yeah, I'm the same way. How many are you having over?

22nd April 15, 12:11 PM
Well, if he counts you: 2.

OZZ
22nd April 15, 02:27 PM
6-8 probably..I don't have comfortable room for more than that unless I re arrange things...
My one pal who usually hosts is out of town that weekend.

Feryk
22nd April 15, 02:47 PM
That's enough to enjoy it, but not so many that you have to worry about anyone being 'that guy'.

OZZ
27th April 15, 10:19 AM
Flipping through the latest issue of The Ring; apparently the major impetus for this fight finally coming to fruition - Money and Pac Man actually ran into each other in person - for the first time - at a basketball game.
If not for that chance meeting, it may never have happened.

27th April 15, 10:37 AM
Well...that....and the fact that fucking Pacqy is ringworn.

Feryk
27th April 15, 10:45 AM
A head made of concrete is timeless.

27th April 15, 11:09 AM
A head made of concrete is timeless.
http://www.mlive.com/mayweather/index.ssf/2015/03/manny_pacquiao_battling_leg_cr.html

Feryk
27th April 15, 11:12 AM
Are you telling me that Pac-Man's camp cannot solve leg cramps? They have had a few weeks at this point.

27th April 15, 11:26 AM
Are you telling me that Pac-Man's camp cannot solve leg cramps? They have had a few weeks at this point.
The old boxing adage:
Kill the body, the head will fall

doesn't mean shit if they don't have legs.

By way of trainers, there are 2 of the top fucking trainers in....like....forever battling this one out.

Both Mayweathers and Roach were top-notch fighters in their own right. Easily all 3 champion level fighters in their own right.

Feryk
27th April 15, 11:48 AM
Exactly. I seriously doubt Manny's legs will be a problem by fight night.

27th April 15, 11:56 AM
You can't control leg cramps. ESPECIALLY after a weight cut.

Feryk
27th April 15, 12:00 PM
Since I already knew this, and I'm sure if I know it, you know it better than me, I'm guessing Manny's corner knows it as well.

http://highfive.co.uk/high5-faster-and-further/cramp

27th April 15, 12:31 PM
The whole idea of cutting weight means dropping a bunch of water weight, which is dehydration, which throws off the body's electrolyte balance, which causes cramping.

So yeah, that article was spot-on with the reason he will have problems.

OZZ
27th April 15, 12:51 PM
I hope the leg cramps will not be an issue.
In any case, Money's camp definitely did their best to put off this meeting as long as possible, knowing full well that Manny would be squaring off against all the tough Mexican fighters who wanted a crack at him. Meanwhile, Floyd would be in jail and dancing around whatever hand-picked opponents came his way during that same time span.

27th April 15, 01:27 PM
Pretty much spot-on.
Manny's been at war, Money's been at Bieb's.

Feryk
27th April 15, 02:14 PM
So, I'm guessing you will have Money being fast and technical, and Manny taking a lot of punishment in the early rounds.

And then he will hurt Money.

Assuming he gets a shot in.

OZZ
1st May 15, 10:03 AM
Here's a good link :
http://www.sportsnet.ca/more/mayweather-vs-pacquiao-fight-of-the-century/

Pie of Hate
1st May 15, 10:19 AM
Most of the bookies over here have the odds at: Mayweather 5/1, Manny 10/1.

I might have a little flutter on Manny.

OZZ
1st May 15, 10:43 AM
Manny would be good to throw $50 - $100 on in case he pulls it off, he will be the underdog come first bell.

3rd May 15, 06:00 AM
No surprises there then.

OZZ
3rd May 15, 10:40 AM
116-111 Mayweather was how I saw it.
A bit underwhelming, as I feared it would be. According to Bob Arum, Manny aggravated a shoulder injury during training some time after March 11th and was unable to receive the treatment shots for it prior to the fight because somebody forgot to cross an X in the 'injury' slot on a sheet of paper ...
Whatever.
Other than landing the single-hardest blow of the fight (4th round) Manny simply wasn't busy enough to impress the judges and when he did flurry, they were largely ineffective.
Money remains one of the most elusive fighters of all time.
Not worth the $100 I paid for it, but not a terrible fight to watch either - chess match all the way.

OZZ
3rd May 15, 05:48 PM
Keep an eye on Lomachenko, who scored a KO ( well, sort of..more of a TKO) in his bout - from the undercard.
He is one to watch.

Cullion
3rd May 15, 06:01 PM
the whole 'manny wuz robbed he waznt allowed his shoulder medicine' thing is a set up for making more money on a rematch, which manny will win.

OZZ
3rd May 15, 06:12 PM
Spare me the conspiracy theories , Cull.
There will be no rematch.

Cullion
4th May 15, 01:33 PM
Manny wants one

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2453354-manny-pacquiao-talks-potential-rematch-and-injury-after-loss-to-floyd-mayweather

Feryk
4th May 15, 02:49 PM
Lots of people don't want to see it. Probably won't garner the same pay per view downloads at all.

If there's no Money, there's no Mayweather.

Pie of Hate
5th May 15, 02:48 AM
I called it right on a points decision.

What a load of dump.

OZZ
5th May 15, 09:25 AM
Anyone with a sound understanding of the sport called it correctly.
Very few people ' in the know ' thought Manny would pull it off.
This fight wasn't close enough to garner a rematch.

5th May 15, 09:31 AM
Looks like Manny is giving $40,000,000 of his fee to charity. (http://www.express.co.uk/sport/boxing/574203/Manny-Pacquiao-donate-Mayweather-fight-earning-charity)

OZZ
5th May 15, 10:14 AM
The shoulder injury was real..he has a torn rotator cuff and needs surgery.
But there will be no rematch, because in 9-12 months when Pac Man is fully healed, Money will be retired.

Pie of Hate
5th May 15, 10:18 AM
I don't think I'd have it in me to watch a rematch.

OZZ
5th May 15, 10:28 AM
No, me either..
Unless it was free.

OZZ
5th May 15, 10:54 AM
Where the hell is Snake ?
Was he that disappointed he ran off into the desert to cry or something ?

Feryk
5th May 15, 12:16 PM
Why would anyone pay another $100 to be bored for 3 hours?

OZZ
5th May 15, 01:13 PM
There is something to be said for having a decent undercard for these big events. That is one thing I will say about Don King, his boxing matches usually featured intriguing preliminary fights.
At least that way if the main event sucks real fight fans will come away a bit less dissatisfied. The casual fan won't, because he probably wasn't even watching the undercard anyways...but, well, fuck the casual fan ...

5th May 15, 01:48 PM
Where the hell is Snake ?
Was he that disappointed he ran off into the desert to cry or something ?
Bitch, you wish.

Anyhow, I'm waiting for a re-watch on HBO to fully-formulate an opinion, but my initial reaction was:

neither of them did enough to win and win decisively, like we all enjoy for a fight of this magnitude. This was like a poor-man's version of Hagler-Leonard

I can see the judges give Mayweather each round based on the overarching concept of "ring generalship". He managed to control the action in a manner that reminded me of Sugar Ray Leonard against Pacqy's one-armed Hagler. Pacqy would press, Mayweather would throw the halt, clinch and force movement and a reset. He didn't "steal rounds" like Leonard did with 10 second flurries at he bell, but some judges like to see one fighter control the pace, the tempo and own the ring.

Me, I score for the guy pressing the action. I would have liked to see what a two-armed Pacqy with less battle scars could have done, but we didn't get that.

All in all, this was probably boxing's big-fight swan song. Too many of the fans demonstrated they don't have the attention span for the nearly hour-long fightgame. Many of them can't handle the 5-min/5-round MMA contender/championship fight. They can barely handle the 15-min MMA fight. They can't deal with the intricacies of a fight like this and if they could, shit like Metamoris would be burning up the PPV numbers.

Overall, I enjoyed the big fight night and liked boxing taking centerstage again, only too bad one guy wasn't 100% and the other guy only wanted to do "just enough".

Cullion
5th May 15, 03:11 PM
The shoulder injury was real..he has a torn rotator cuff and needs surgery.
But there will be no rematch, because in 9-12 months when Pac Man is fully healed, Money will be retired.

Pacquiano wants it, and Merriweather says he'd do it.

http://www.sbnation.com/2015/5/5/8552993/floyd-mayweather-manny-pacquiao-rematch-injury

You should listen to me when I have a conspiracy theory for you. I have the sight beyond sight.The special intuition.

Feryk
5th May 15, 03:28 PM
You are probably right, Cullion, but it only will make true boxing fans disappointed.

However, what the hell else will they be able to watch and get excited about?

Cullion
5th May 15, 03:34 PM
You know who I would pay to watch Merriweather lose to?

Butterbean.

Feryk
5th May 15, 03:37 PM
Well, if we are going there, I'd pay to see Stallone v. Tyson.

It's a win no matter which way it goes.

Cullion
5th May 15, 03:40 PM
Mickey Rourke vs Tony Danza

5th May 15, 03:42 PM
You know who I would pay to watch Merriweather lose to?

Butterbean.
Suge Knight

Cullion
5th May 15, 03:46 PM
yes. the pimp hand of finality.

OZZ
5th May 15, 05:27 PM
Liam Neeson V Mickey Rourke

OZZ
5th May 15, 05:31 PM
Pacquiano wants it, and Merriweather says he'd do it.

http://www.sbnation.com/2015/5/5/8552993/floyd-mayweather-manny-pacquiao-rematch-injury

You should listen to me when I have a conspiracy theory for you. I have the sight beyond sight.The special intuition.

What goofy webpage is that ?
I wouldn't put much stock in anything from that goofy page.

5th May 15, 07:04 PM
How about people filing a class-action lawsuit against Pacqy and the promoter for $5M in PPV and gambling damages?

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/sports/manny-pacquiao-promoter-sued-5-million-behalf-everyone-who-watched-n354286

6th May 15, 05:46 AM
https://scontent-lhr.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpf1/v/t1.0-9/11162213_825008957554240_7858633870629369923_n.jpg ?oh=72afc953aafc5dd82a8fbc0ac8f9273e&oe=55E0776E

Üser Friendly
6th May 15, 08:10 AM
My kid uses the same excuse when she looses a race

'My leg was sore'

OZZ
6th May 15, 09:41 AM
How about people filing a class-action lawsuit against Pacqy and the promoter for $5M in PPV and gambling damages?

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/sports/manny-pacquiao-promoter-sued-5-million-behalf-everyone-who-watched-n354286

What a joke...
Its like you said though, the general public doesn't have the attention span to watch strategic boxing.
Fuck' em all..idiots.

Cullion
6th May 15, 04:17 PM
What goofy webpage is that ?
I wouldn't put much stock in anything from that goofy page.

How about the Telegraph? http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/othersports/boxing/mayweather-vs-pacquiao/11584797/Floyd-Mayweather-Jr-agrees-to-Manny-Pacquiao-rematch.html

I can also tell when it's going to snow by the way the air smells.

6th May 15, 04:29 PM
"We have an MRI scan that confirms he has a rotator cuff tear. He has a significant tear," surgeon Neal ElAttrache
$100 on Pacqy since he's hired a Mexican Superhero to do his shoulder surgery.

OZZ
6th May 15, 07:30 PM
How about the Telegraph? http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/othersports/boxing/mayweather-vs-pacquiao/11584797/Floyd-Mayweather-Jr-agrees-to-Manny-Pacquiao-rematch.html

I can also tell when it's going to snow by the way the air smells.

Mayweather has 'reportedly texted a journalist'...
I have yet to read a quote from Mayweather in either of those articles, Cull.
Its just goofy.

Cullion
7th May 15, 01:55 AM
Personally I think the idea is being floated for the same reasons politicians sometimes let plans 'leak'. So they can gauge reaction and then deny it if the reaction is negative.

7th May 15, 08:04 AM
using my Hagler/Leonard analogy, Manny just needs to retire to Italy and bang models knowing he wasn't beat by a better fighter, he just fought a guy with a stall strategy too late in his career to overcome it.

Feryk
7th May 15, 11:34 AM
Manny needs to retire so he can become his nation's Prime Minister/President. It's time.

resolve
8th May 15, 12:14 AM
I don't know how to feel about the fight. I wanted Manny to win. Floyd had the better strategy for the current iteration of the sport... which is bullshit, but he had the better strat and abused his reach to just stall which won him the fight, kept his title, and a whole heaping load of cash money.

I do have to admit this was pretty funny though.... so much dramaz.

UoTl8GTgZJk

Robot Jesus
12th May 15, 11:00 AM
so some are saying this could be the last big boxing match ever, any thoughts on that?

Feryk
12th May 15, 11:02 AM
It made a gajillion dollars. Boxing is clearly not done. They just need to promote it better/more.

Robot Jesus
12th May 15, 02:57 PM
the argument is that the fight was boring and overhyped, leading many first time boxing viewers to possibly skip all subsequent fights; meaning that while boxing isn't going anywhere, it's reached it's high water mark.

OZZ
12th May 15, 06:27 PM
People are talking like this is the first time a fight of this magnitude hasn't materialized in a way that pleased the public. Plenty of fights that have been hyped too much have fallen short of the mark before, its nothing new.
The reality is that Boxing has become a niche sport and has been overshadowed by MMA for over a decade. It will never regain its place as one of the top five sports in America as it was in the 50's.
Its a sport searching for relevancy, its a dying sport..blah blah, blah.
Part of the problem is that the Klitschko brothers have been dominating the HW division for quite a few years now, and a good number of the contenders who have been taking them on have been from Great Britain. The Klitschkos are boring to watch, and fight fans in the US like to watch American fighters -especially when it comes to the HW division.
Boxing in Europe has actually been on the rise in popularity and viewership the past ten years thanks to the Klitschkos.
Anyways..I am rambling a bit, but the reality is - if an American HW champion emerges who can generate excitement among the fans ( another Tyson, for example) people will come back in droves and the 'disaster' that was Mayweather V Pacquiao will be forgotten very quickly.
Especially if that HW champion happens to be white. The search for a Great White Hope continues...

Feryk
13th May 15, 09:20 AM
We both know that the odds of that happening are small.