PDA

View Full Version : Darwin Award winners - social media reactions

Harpy
17th February 15, 10:20 PM
From whence does empathy spring for those who mourn the loss of Darwin Award winners? Are these relative strangers lighting up social media with their 'RIPs' and re-tweets because they can picture themselves in such situations or because maybe they are genuinely empathetic? I don't agree with the trolls who come out and slam supporters or mock the dead on these sites (admittedly I do find the reactions they get quite hilarious).

Have I got a screw loose or do most of you feel the same way?

Some recent DA nominees from Australia:
1. Girl with Aspergers driving erratically and waving a knife around gets shot fatally by police.
2. Drug mules travelling to countries with the death penalty being put up for execution (2 Australian citizens are set to be shot in Indonesia in the next few weeks after a 9 year long legal battle).
3. 19 year old student climbs a crane near the harbour after a night out drinking with mates, falls to his death.

Harpy
17th February 15, 10:21 PM
http://cdn.blog.bit9.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/Darwin-Awards-300x214.jpg

nihilist
18th February 15, 12:25 AM
The only thing holding resolve back from shooting me for taunting him is because he wouldn't want Darwin to get any credit.

resolve
18th February 15, 07:43 PM
Why would I be angry at you enough to do anything?

nihilist
19th February 15, 12:54 AM
The brain damage is much worse than I'd previously imagined.

Spade: The Real Snake
19th February 15, 08:22 AM
You aren't perfect, Brother Moleculo. Just forgiven.

Adouglasmhor
20th February 15, 02:01 AM
From whence does empathy spring for those who mourn the loss of Darwin Award winners? Are these relative strangers lighting up social media with their 'RIPs' and re-tweets because they can picture themselves in such situations or because maybe they are genuinely empathetic? I don't agree with the trolls who come out and slam supporters or mock the dead on these sites (admittedly I do find the reactions they get quite hilarious).

Have I got a screw loose or do most of you feel the same way?

Some recent DA nominees from Australia:
1. Girl with Aspergers driving erratically and waving a knife around gets shot fatally by police.
2. Drug mules travelling to countries with the death penalty being put up for execution (2 Australian citizens are set to be shot in Indonesia in the next few weeks after a 9 year long legal battle).
3. 19 year old student climbs a crane near the harbour after a night out drinking with mates, falls to his death.

Mate of mine climbed a construction crane on a site in Glasgow in similar circumstances, he survived after being rescued by a passing scaffolder and the police and fire brigade. He go a hefty fine and now 20 years later he is a teacher.

Harpy
20th February 15, 05:04 AM
I'm glad to hear he survived!

Syntactical Disruptorize
7th April 15, 12:16 PM
I have a lot of empathy for risk takers. My life would be a smaller and poorer thing if I didn't take risks. Of course, for those who are controlled by their fears, it can be a form of consolation to mock people who take risks and lose...but I have no great respect for that. Each must decide his own path, and all paths end somewhere.

Feryk
7th April 15, 02:17 PM
There is calculated risk - and then there is stupid risk. The latter is absolutely worth mockery.

Feryk
30th April 15, 01:56 PM
Mate of mine climbed a construction crane on a site in Glasgow in similar circumstances, he survived after being rescued by a passing scaffolder and the police and fire brigade. He go a hefty fine and now 20 years later he is a teacher.

The question is how good a teacher is he? Are we better off because he survived, or worse?

Adouglasmhor
1st May 15, 12:41 AM
The question is how good a teacher is he? Are we better off because he survived, or worse?

He is very good with a great record with both educational results and kids with behavioural issues, and as their is a UK wide shortage of male primary school teachers I would say we are better off.