PDA

View Full Version : Thorium fuelled car!

Dr. Socially Liberal Fiscally Conservative Vermin
5th November 13, 06:12 AM
Laser Power Systems (LPS) from Connecticut, USA, is developing a new method of automotive propulsion with one of the most dense materials known in nature: thorium. Because thorium is so dense it has the potential to produce tremendous amounts of heat. The company has been experimenting with small bits of thorium, creating a laser that heats water, produces steam and powers a mini turbine.
Current models of the engine weigh 500 pounds, easily fitting into the engine area of a conventionally-designed vehicle. According to CEO Charles Stevens, just one gram of the substance yields more energy than 7,396 gallons (28,000 L) of gasoline and 8 grams would power the typical car for a century.
The idea of using thorium is not new. In 2009, Loren Kulesus designed the Cadillac World Thorium Fuel Concept Car. LPS is developing the technology so it can be mass-produced.

Full InstryTap Article (http://www.industrytap.com/thorium-fueled-automobile-engine-needs-refueling-once-a-century/15649)

The key to the system developed by inventor Charles Stevens, CEO and chairman of Connecticut-based Laser Power Systems, is that when silvery metal thorium is heated by an external source, becomes it is so dense its molecules give off considerable heat.
Small blocks of thorium generate heat surges that are configured as a thorium-based laser, Stevens tells Ward’s. These create steam from water within mini-turbines, generating electricity to drive a car.
A 250 KW unit weighing about 500 lbs. (227 kg) would be small and light enough to drop under the hood of a car, he says.
The U.S. Geological Survey’s estimated thorium reserves in 2010 shows the U.S. leading with 440,900 tons (440,000 t), followed by Australia with 333,690 tons (300,000 t).

However, several world organizations conclude India may possess the lion's share of the world's thorium deposits, with estimates ranging from 319,667 to 716,490 tons (290,000-1650,000 t).

Reza Hashemi-Nezhad, director of the Institute of Nuclear Science at the University of Sydney, Australia, says nuclear power plants already run submarines and could operate oil tankers, “but they are not small enough to fit in the boot (trunk) of a car.”
And amid widespread concerns about terrorism, would governments allow scores of nuclear sources to roam the freeways? Processed thorium can produce uranium 233 as a byproduct. Would governments allow charging an electric vehicle using radioactive material in private garages?
“Nobody will allow that to happen,” Hashemi-Nezhad says.
Hedrick thinks such concerns are overblown, stressing thorium’s by-products are very hard to turn into weapons-grade material, requiring an immense amount of work and energy.
Stevens agrees, emphasizing his system is “sub-critical,” which means no self-sustaining nuclear reaction within the thorium creating significant amounts of radioactivity. “It’s very safe,” he says.

Link to article from LPS website (http://www.laserpowersystems.com/links/thorium-car)

LPS home page (http://www.laserpowersystems.com/)

http://www.industrytap.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/eqWJs.jpg

http://www.industrytap.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/cadillac-world-thorium-fuel-concept-3.jpg

^ Images of Cadilacs thorium concept car

Well its been bandied about for awhile but Thorium still hasnt delivered.

Sans God
5th November 13, 06:31 AM
Big oil won't let it happen I'm afraid. How sad. So many good ideas in the past were rendered DOA by lobbyists. Greedy bastards.

Üser Friendly
5th November 13, 08:18 AM
God help you if your land is rich in Thorium, for you will soon be annexed by USA

5th November 13, 08:21 AM
One of the things that makes it interesting to America is the fact that they have sooo much Thorium (pro tip for Winkers: try reading the OP)

5th November 13, 08:33 AM
Thats kinda the idea.

Üser Friendly
5th November 13, 08:46 AM
Fuck you Dr

How long do you think all the Thorium in the world will last the USA?

6-8 years is my guess, and after that, I guess India will become terrorists

5th November 13, 08:54 AM
With the reserves they have the US could power 55,000,000,000 cars for 100 years.

Üser Friendly
5th November 13, 11:38 AM
How many tanks is that equivelant to?

Keith
5th November 13, 03:17 PM
wasn't this outed as a hoax?

Feryk
5th November 13, 04:22 PM
Dunno, but if the byproduct is U232, then you would have thousands of potential dirty bombs running around the US, wouldn't you?

Keith
5th November 13, 11:34 PM
Dunno, but if the byproduct is U232, then you would have thousands of potential dirty bombs running around the US, wouldn't you?

This is incidental. I don't think the damned thing is real to begin with.

7th November 13, 11:03 AM
The more I look into it the more I realise Keith is right about it being BS.

Üser Friendly
8th November 13, 12:14 AM
my thorium reserves are safe then?

8th November 13, 04:21 AM
For now!

Robot Jesus
12th November 13, 01:19 PM
As I understand things thorium reactors have enough problems to address that some people believe that we'll get fusion sorted before a LFTR would ever get through any half way sane government approval process. At least that's what I read somewhere.