PDA

View Full Version : Getting back into shape

resolve
4th September 13, 09:25 PM
I used to be trim as anything while rocking 6 pack abs.

Then I got sick. Real sick. For like 2 years. I shared some of that here.

Now there's like this small film of fat covering everything and I've lost strength. I'm about 10-20 pounds overweight from what my ideal for my height should be. I first noticed it really bad when I got to my friend's place and tried his workout equipment and felt like I was about to die just doing an easy version of one of my old workouts.

So here's my self-evaluation:

* Big loss of upper body strength from just three years ago, I feel weak especially in my shoulders and chest.
* Wrist is still kind of jacked from Judo incident so no pushup (my favorite exercise) or bench. Actually half my normal body weight exercise routine is now void. The pain at full extension is beyond excruciating. Docs said probable ganglion cyst that needs surgery but won't do anything until I pay off my medical bills I already owe (ughhhh).
* My knee is healed and I can run again without pain, but I haven't run in like 13 years. I now live on top of a mountain and I'm still getting adjusted to the altitude. You should've seen it when I first tried, it was pretty funny :D.
* I can still walk quite a distance without getting overly tired, even up and down hills.
* Hand strength is good
* Leg strength is good
* Core (abs, obliques, back) strength is actually better, which I found odd.
* Huge endurance loss overall. I gas out so easily just jogging lightly or attempting a light workout it's ridiculous.
* I'm kind of swollen. Like inflammation swollen. Could be from allergies but it's been going down slightly after the big move. Let's hope that continues until it goes away.

What I have access to:

* Dog for walks/runs
* Mountainous wooded terrain all around me
* I have a set of resistance bands and a video for an hour workout using them that I used to do but I remember the workout being particularly grueling.
* Kung Fu workout book that I linked a while back but never started the exercise program. It still looks like an amazing flexibility and core strength prog and it uses no equipment so can take anywhere.
* My friend has a universal machine, a treadmill, and a bunch of free weights he'd let me use if I asked.
* A remaining container of NOS-Blast Creatine mix I've never opened

What I'm doing now:

* Walking dog every day on short bathroom and meet the other dogs walks
* Trying to put together something I won't drop and can work with a flexible schedule
* I eat much healthier than most due to having adjust my diet a million times for kidney stones I just went super healthy (no high fructose corn syrup, watch my sugar intakes, not tons of carbs, lean meats, no corn/soy/wheat currently, rarely eat sweets, eat tons of veg/fruit, get lots of dietary calcium, drink tons of water, big breakfasts and small dinners, I eat so called superfoods all the time)
* I tried the 5x5 stronglifts with starting with very low weights but just gassed out. I really don't understand it and my friend says it's the altitude. I don't know. I need something easier that is enjoyable I can do every day until my strength comes back.

Adouglasmhor
5th September 13, 01:38 AM
Try interval training until you get adjusted to the altitude. Then start your 5X5. I was once almost 100lbs heavier than I am now, it took a while to get that off. But it's doable and you are a hell of a lot younger than I was when I started my rehab and recovery. Speed it up with 5:2 if you want, it's the easiest eating plan I have ever used. The Horizon BBC program about it is still on Vimeo.
http://vimeo.com/54089463
and here is a quick summary
http://youtu.be/W9Aj6hRYg4A by an Aspie.

Here's the book on my google drive
https://drive.google.com/?pli=1#folders/0B4pk33GeJ5uvX3oyaEMyTlowVXc

Spade: The Real Snake
5th September 13, 08:05 AM
You don't just "jump back into" a 5x5 Stronglifts routine, after a few years of inactivity. Otherwise you will be like one of those ghosts getting back to the gym and throwing down weights like he was back in high school...they burn hot and fast and never show again.

Are you wanting to get jacked huge or lean down? I'm guessing lean down so:

Get a weight that's nicely manageable and do 3x15s. If after 15 reps you are burning for more...go up 10lbs until you can complete 15 reps and have a nice burn but aren't overly fatigued. Just fatigued enuff.

How many days are you looking at training? If it's 2....go Upper/Lower. If it's more, work out your own schedule: Arms/Legs/Back-n-Chest....etc. You've been in the gym before and you know the drill.

I think you just allowed your mind to get soft and forget the feeling. Go back, today, and do SOMETHING.

Cullion
5th September 13, 08:15 AM
the wrist problem sounds annoying and something to be careful with. I'd stay away from upper body strength routines and just do a gentle run/walk programme and fix your diet until you've saved enough money to take care of that medical problem.

OZZ
5th September 13, 06:23 PM
Don't try to do too much at once.
I'd take advantage of that wooded/mountainous terrain and start off hiking or if they have proper trails, biking ,to build up your cardio and endurance. Then you get to be out in the fresh air as well, which will make you feel a hell of a lot better.
Additionally, you've got the dog to take with you and your kung fu exercises.

NoBowie
5th September 13, 06:32 PM
ZPZJJBN2hL8

resolve
5th September 13, 06:59 PM
Lol!

Harpy
5th September 13, 09:37 PM
Post pix before giving resolve advice. All of you.

Cullion
6th September 13, 09:08 AM
no u!

Cullion
6th September 13, 09:10 AM
you're about the only person who *hasn't* posted pix lily.

resolve
6th September 13, 09:28 AM
That's true.

6th September 13, 10:36 AM
you're about the only person who *hasn't* posted pix lily.

FIRE UP THE TREATBOXXX (tm) !!!!!

Harpy
6th September 13, 03:17 PM
You guys are the ones giving resolve advice about 'working out'.

resolve - good luck.

6th September 13, 04:03 PM
Post pix before giving resolve advice. All of you.
NO!
IF I DO THAT ATHEIST_MANTID WILL SEE I'M A SHORT, SCRAWNY FRENCHMAN!

Feryk
6th September 13, 04:20 PM
Don't forget the gay part.

Oh, it was implied in 'Frenchman'. Nvm.

Angry_Spastic
6th September 13, 04:23 PM
Resolve, might I offer an opinion on your return to the world of fitness?
Despite my inability to gain regular access to most of the gyms in my locale, I have found homebrewed olde-timey strongman training to be the best. Lifting large and heavy things, often, without pretense of worthless bodysculpting.

6th September 13, 06:08 PM
I think Resolve needs to follow Toby's routine.

resolve
6th September 13, 07:30 PM
I think what I'm going to go with is a consistent 5 day schedule of exercise.

1 day of the Shaolin workout
1 day of strength bands
1 day of running (well whatever it is that I can do until I'm fit enough to run hah)
2 days of rest

I think that will get me into good enough shape to start doing parts of my old routine that I really loved and I'll figure out the rest from there.

AAAAAA
6th September 13, 07:42 PM
If you do a 5 days workout you will get fit, full stop.
The problem is, you must do it for at least 4 or 5 months and then upgrade it.
After the first month, when you see the first results, just pretend you don't care and keep going.

resolve
13th September 13, 08:35 PM
This is now my inspiration. I know I can't do quite a few of these exercises due to my wrist. But man... I would love to have that amount of absolute control over my body. There's something to say for aiming higher and getting a lesser reward, but something that is better than if you aimed lower. I'll just keep going until I get a fraction of this control. He makes most gym rats look like absolute chumps.

RFPsvF3UOdo

Cullion
14th September 13, 06:17 AM
you have to, uh, build up to that

resolve
14th September 13, 10:21 AM
I know. Hence, "inspiration".

He posted some videos of when he started and the tiems he fell and looked like an idiot. If a skinny vegan can do it over a few years, why not I?

Cullion
14th September 13, 11:54 AM
you need to get that wrist seen to if you're going to attempt even 10% of the stuff in that video.

resolve
14th September 13, 12:29 PM
Yeah I know. But I can still do cardio in the meantime.

Just ended up walking 7 miles today up 2 mountainsides on accident because I got lost in the new neighborhood lol.

nihilist
16th September 13, 02:20 AM
If resolve has a limp wrist perhaps it might be from too much bending.

resolve
16th September 13, 02:07 PM
Well it was my judo instructor who bent it beyond all reason. He basically pushed it down to where my hand was touching my arm and then past in one motion.

Cullion
16th September 13, 02:12 PM
that sounds like some kind of passive-aggressive aikido thing

resolve
16th September 13, 02:16 PM
What happened was he had already thrown me in a demonstration to the class. So I was on the ground and for the next part of the demonstration he was to show the class what you can do after you throw someone. So he had me in a wrist and arm lock and I said to him "so from here can't someone punch you in the face?" and he goes "well, why don't you try it?" I'm like "uh, you sure? I don't really want to punch you" and he goes "no seriously try it, go all out".

I did. He kind of dropped all of his weight (dude was at least 275+ lbs, he was super hefty with a massive beer gut) and did the move. At the time I was too stunned to notice the pain. Finished practice early and went home. Only really started hurting me a few days after and it got progressively worse (which is why the docs think it's a ganglion cyst that grew over time).

Hedley LaMarr
16th September 13, 04:05 PM
if you're trying to lose weight I would ditch stronglifts and switch over to a bodyweight strength training regimen like convict conditioning. The motif of the program may seem ridiculous (I think it is at least,) but it's a good progression of bodyweight exercises.

Harpy
16th September 13, 04:08 PM
resolve - your instructor is a douche. Did his beer gut not clue you in as to the standard of the training?

resolve
16th September 13, 05:11 PM
All beer gut means is that you drink so much beer that your liver has expanded and hardened and you have a layer of fat over top from the carbs. He still had more cardio than anyone in that gym.

The main instructor was not there that day, he's a wiry little Japanese man from Hawaii whose training was actually in JJJ but later learned and got belted in Judo. The other guy with the belly is a certified Judo instructor through USJA or USJF (can't remember). He was there mainly to remind the main guy that many things that are allowed in JJJ are not in Judo as he was old and had a tendency to forget. He also ran his own club and was the coach for the university's judo club.

Here, someone posted about them on Bullshido a while back:

Clyde Kimura is a crazy little asian guy who lived in SW Missouri too long. He has been doing martial arts for many years. He has belts in Goju-Ryu Karate, 5th degree ( I Believe) in Judo, and I believe he also has belts in Traditional JJ and more than likely something else.
Rob Jackson is the person that is the coach for the judo club. He is a third degree black belt in Judo, JJ (not sure if this is BJJ, he is awesome on the ground), and a first degree in Aikido.
Garret Andrews who also does most of the work with the Judo Club is a black belt in Judo and Brazzilian JJ under Cristof Lenninger's school in Phoenix AZ.

Rob Jackson is the guy who destroyed my wrist lol. And yeah he did have amazing ground work, once he pinned anyone you were done and basically had to wait for him to finish the lock/break or tap out. He could beat anyone who came to that club on the ground except the main instructor if I remember right.

nihilist
16th September 13, 05:33 PM
Well it was my judo instructor who bent it beyond all reason. He basically pushed it down to where my hand was touching my arm and then past in one motion.

God is obviously punishing you for communing with Shintoists.

AAAAAA
16th September 13, 06:56 PM
Father Amorth approves.

nihilist
16th September 13, 07:13 PM
Yoga is really good exorcise.

Harpy
16th September 13, 07:35 PM
You missed the memo about PraiseMoves.

nihilist
16th September 13, 08:08 PM
Tell it to Father Amorth, whore.

Feryk
17th September 13, 12:24 PM
Bah. Looks like you had good teachers, and injuries will happen when you train hard.

A ganglion cyst doesn't strike me as an injury, though. The move may have aggravated something that was already there.

Angry_Spastic
13th August 14, 12:12 PM
Resolve, my young man. I have found this thread in my subscription files, despite no recollection of you or posting in this.

I have given you sound advice almost one year ago and am curious to see if you have followed this advice and are now devoid of all adipose tissue and instead have large strong muscles layered upon your body like flapjacks upon a lumberjacks plate?

nihilist
13th August 14, 12:16 PM
He has relocated all the fat to where his brains used to be.

Angry_Spastic
13th August 14, 12:21 PM
He has relocated all the fat to where his brains used to be.

Well with the proper physique and ability to physically dominate another male in all combat situation, one may have less of a need for mental acuity in certain context. Is this resolve a man known for skill in all things martial or is this resolve a man known for sharp intellect?

I, myself, prefer to be a man whom is strong and determined in every facet of life. My appearance is a cloak to hide the true power and rage which dwells within. A veritable churning tempest of hate and fury with devastating result.

nihilist
13th August 14, 12:28 PM
Resolve relies entirely upon mythical beings to do his heavy lifting.

Hammock training, if done correctly, no can defend.

Harpy
13th August 14, 12:31 PM
Dammit, a fake Toby :/

Dufus Prime
13th August 14, 12:49 PM
LOL !!

Better than a fake cock ?

Üser Friendly
13th August 14, 12:56 PM
LOL !!

^And he'd know

Üser Friendly
13th August 14, 12:58 PM
LOL !!

Another Dave

I think one posts till completion and the other takes over as the other recovers

Cullion
13th August 14, 05:58 PM
do it for keisha. do it for kim. but sure you PUMP PUMP PUMP

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOIF7iUn-Z8

OZZ
13th August 14, 11:19 PM
Personally, I'm trying to get myself to do 200 push-ups a day.
Not all at once, but just as long as I get in 200 a day, 30 at a time or whatever.
Its not as easy as it sounds when you are busy.
The most I've done in a day is 120 and I'm averaging about 80.
My bench-pressing has never been my strong point because I've always worked out alone and without a spotter, so I can't really push myself.
So the push-ups are just a way for me to make up for this.
maybe I should shoot for 100 a day first lol

Cullion
14th August 14, 04:18 AM
I've tried this before. A set to failure in the morning and then small (<20 rep) sets through the day to make up the balance got me there. The set to failure in the morning gradually gets bigger as you get fitter. It's probably sanest to start aiming for 100 a day if 120 is your best effort so far.

Angry_Spastic
14th August 14, 08:12 AM
Press ups are not functional for martial skill and are akin to pointless activities. Try using the strength building techniques of the olde timey strongman and lift and toss about heavy objects. Perhaps a job as a railway worker swinging a heavy sledge and carrying about wooden tie and metal track would best suit your needs. Large sacks of flour or bales of hay, tossed about all day, will surely build your miniscule strength to Herculean proportions.

OZZ
14th August 14, 11:13 AM
Press ups are not functional for martial skill and are akin to pointless activities.

The push-up goal doesn't have anything to do with martial arts.
I'm happy with where my skill level and fighting ability are at and my regimen for staying sharp doesn't involve push-ups.

Feryk
14th August 14, 11:39 AM

The push-up goal doesn't have anything to do with martial arts.
I'm happy with where my skill level and fighting ability are at and my regimen for staying sharp doesn't involve push-ups.

Oh God. That actually sounds like you agree with him. Brace yourself.

OZZ
14th August 14, 08:46 PM
Not likely.
Its a nice way of telling him to stfu.

resolve
15th August 14, 12:38 PM
Hey guys, I found a new workout video.

I should get into great shape.

fRscYVvEFt8

Angry_Spastic
15th August 14, 01:03 PM
Yes OZZ, please kindly tell me to STFU while you beg strangers more knowledgeable than yourself for fitness help. If you were not such a lazy and slovenly man, you would have already wrestled your way into a lean and strong frame worthy of Dermott Brereton in his salad days instead of simpering like a scolded kitten at the mere mention of press-ups.

OZZ
16th August 14, 02:51 PM
You don't matter enough to banter with.

Angry_Spastic
17th August 14, 08:17 PM
Now if you have been sufficiently cowed and will acquiesce to your betters perhaps you might listen to the advice you have come here seeking. Learning from the great men of antiquity we might get some strong sinewy muscles wrapping your arms like tungsten rope. The great strongman Eugen Sandow lived on a diet of whole milk and wholesome foods, always chewed fully and never a drop of liquor would touch his lips. His training of choice involved the bent press with barbells and this should work nicely for the likes of you.