PDA

View Full Version : Leasing - Yes or No ?

OZZ
14th December 12, 05:10 PM
Time for a second vehicle to come back into the picture.
I want my Dodge Charger back..but am not going to pay $23,000 for a car that will be worth half that or less in four to five years.
I think leasing is my best bet, if you have good credit, you get good rates on leasing, and my credit is excellent.
I want to drive a newer car and with the lease its always under warranty.
People say " Well..the thing that sucks about leasing is that after your lease is up you don't own anything."
The wife and I have bought three vehicles in the past fifteen years. A Dodge Intrepid , which was a year-old car that we paid too much for. We drove it for about five years - in the end we got $1500 on it for trade -in on our next vehicle - a Montana Van, again, a year-old vehicle. We drove that for seven years - got $1000 on trade-in for our next vehicle - the Dodge Caravan we currently own - which is a 2009 model.
So unless you are purchasing high-end vehicles that retain their value, like NoB does, buying new is a fool's errand imo.
You lease a vehicle for five years, and at the end you own nothing, but if you had bought something new, it wouldn't be worth shit in five-seven years anyways.
Plus, I can write off some of my lease through my tutoring and the teak/furniture business we have on the side.
Tell me its the right thing to do.
I can't get a motorcycle, at least not until I get my book published and start getting some royalties on it. But right now, on my pay rate , I cannot justify a toy like that.
Especially when I fucked off to Greece for almost a month not too long ago and her parents are still pissed about that lol
I'm looking at this car :http://www.5stardealer.com/vehicle_search/details.php?id=15261849
I need input on this one, boys.
Help me out.

OZZ
14th December 12, 05:20 PM
But what difference does it make if the Mercedes is still worth something ? Its not yours..plus you pay more for insurance than you would on something more economical.
Remember, out insurance laws are different up here. Its mandatory and its rather expensive.

Spade: The Real Snake
14th December 12, 05:30 PM
But what difference does it make if the Mercedes is still worth something ? Its not yours..plus you pay more for insurance than you would on something more economical.
Because they are able to set the leasing prices lower, knowing they will make a second round of bank.
Why pay the same amount for leasing a Ford Fusion as you will a lower-end Mercedes?

Remember, out insurance laws are different up here. Its mandatory and its rather expensive.
HAWR HAWR!

OZZ
14th December 12, 05:46 PM
You guys are missing the point
A Charger is a four door vehicle with a V6 engine - it doesn't fall into the category of sports car or even luxury vehicle, but its still sharp, has balls and you feel safe in it because of its size.
If I wanted to insure a Mercedes,a luxury vehicle, it would cost me large, while insuring a Charger is very reasonable in comparison.

Because they are able to set the leasing prices lower, knowing they will make a second round of bank

Right.
I get it..
But insurance is the deal-breaker.

14th December 12, 05:51 PM
Lease it because buying that car at $23K with 30Kmiles on it is stupid.

OZZ
14th December 12, 09:24 PM
My dream car, for a luxury vehicle, would be a Porsche.
For classic muscle car, probably an older Mustang or maybe a Barracuda.
I like the old Monte Carlos too..like late 70's to early 80's models.

OZZ
14th December 12, 09:27 PM
My car has four doors and a V6.

Anyways, I cannot tell you how much having a car I really like does for my mental state every day. If there were any sacrifices made, they were worth it.

If it weren't for my car, I may have had to solve my problems with guns.
I thought you owned some shmantzy European car ?

OZZ
14th December 12, 09:51 PM
The keyless starter is a nice feature, I rented one with that a few times.
I really want tints though..and a sunroof.
That's one thing about leasing, you are severely limited on what you can do with the vehicle as far as that stuff goes.

Adouglasmhor
15th December 12, 07:33 AM
I just love my heated seats and massage function.

AAAAAA
15th December 12, 11:50 AM
If move up again career wise I will get a Panamera GTS.

Have you seen the concept for a wagon version?
Much better looking imo. Probably because it reminds me of the Alfa Romeo Brera.

http://daddytypes.com/archive/panamera_sport_tourismo_paris_cd.jpg

15th December 12, 01:03 PM
I'm pretty sure that's the Panamera

OZZ
14th January 13, 05:19 PM
Decided on a 2007 Charcoal-Blue, Dodge Charger from a guy here in town. He's a perfectionist and has taken extraordinarily good care of the car.
I bought it today for $9500 after taking it to my mechanic and getting the safety and e-test done.
Pics to follow.
Now I get to start paying insurance again, great.

Cullion
14th January 13, 05:27 PM
Nob, what put you off getting an s5?

Feryk
15th January 13, 04:05 PM
Sorry I missed this thread Ozz.

FTR, you are wayyy further ahead buying instead of leasing most of the time.

And DO NOT believe the 0% lease rates (or 1.9% or whatever). They have a hidden factor they use for depreciation - this number is not generally disclosed to you (most of their financing guys don't even know it exists). They modify that to compensate for the lower leasing 'rate'. It's legal, but you have to know it's there.

When I ran the actual calculations with the payments they gave me and the buyout they are offering, my real 'rate' on my lease was 7% (derived by using my financial planning calculator). The guy flat out refused to believe me, even after I showed him the math.

Buying gives you flexibility. You can choose to own the car longer than the four or five year lease. You can choose to customize or do anything you want to it. You can choose how to maintain it - or abuse it if you prefer.

Tax write offs are mostly a wash. You can write off your lease payment, but you can also write off depreciation. Over a four year period, they end up being relatively close.

I've leased my last two cars. Wished I hadn't. I'm buying this one out at the end of the term and driving it for another five years after that. At that point, I will consider it a break even.

I will only buy from then on. Cash, no financing.

Cullion
15th January 13, 04:25 PM
The wife. Had to be kid friendly.

What was the problem? They have seats in the back, right?

Feryk
15th January 13, 04:39 PM
I thought you were the 'I deserve this' guy, and wouldn't put up with any guff from the missus?

Feryk
15th January 13, 04:58 PM
Don't feel bad. I did the 'I deserve this' thing, but it was on buying a new washer and dryer. Nothing says 'masculine' like a Steam setting.

OZZ
15th January 13, 05:52 PM
Don't feel bad. I did the 'I deserve this' thing, but it was on buying a new washer and dryer. Nothing says 'masculine' like a Steam setting.

Our washer broke about two months ago and the wife is still dragging her feet ..its driving me up the wall.
Good thing there's a laundromat nearby.

billy sol hurok
15th January 13, 06:29 PM
Congrats; drive it in good health.

OZZ
30th January 13, 09:06 PM
Congrats; drive it in good health.

http://i1108.photobucket.com/albums/h407/shortfistfighter/photobucket-12639-1358717549674.jpg

Thanks billy, I will.

Teddy Pendergrass
31st January 13, 10:52 AM
http://i1108.photobucket.com/albums/h407/shortfistfighter/photobucket-12639-1358717549674.jpg

I'll hold you and touch you and make you my woman
I'll give you my love with sweet surrender
Tonight our hearts will beat as one
And I will hold you, touch you
And make you my woman tonight

I WANNA... POUR MAPLE SYRUP ON A HOCKEY STICK AND LET IT BE YOUR LOVER BABY! WHOOOOOOO!

31st January 13, 12:31 PM
OZZ's Cockmagnet seems to have attracted some fresh meat.

Fonzie
31st January 13, 01:27 PM
HHEEEEEEYYYYYYYY!!!!

31st January 13, 01:52 PM
Boy OZZ is gonna be beside himself with all this fresh Cock

OZZ
31st January 13, 07:28 PM
I need some black rims to complete the badass look.

31st January 13, 08:35 PM
I need some black rim ass

Sent by telekinesis via Cerebro

OZZ
31st January 13, 08:52 PM
Boy OZZ is gonna be beside himself with all this fresh young pussy he gets in the summer with that new car

Fixed

31st January 13, 09:46 PM
Yes, Wooderson, we know

Sent by telekinesis via Cerebro

OZZ
17th April 13, 11:44 AM
Some cocksucker got mud all over my car the other day. I came out after an appointment and they had driven by and splashed through a big mud puddle and got it all over my car.
I was irate..I had to drive back through the city looking like I'd come off the damn native reserve or something.
Cocksucker.

OZZ
30th April 13, 02:35 PM
So far
Windshield washer fluid pump - replacement $150.00 (my fault, could have had cheaper after market for $50..but I was stupid)
Back brakes replaced last week, and front headlight bulb = $360
New speaker for front driver's side door - FREE
Auxiliary cord for phone hook-up to car stereo (I Tunes) $15
Plus oil change etc.

When I asked the same mechanic (who replaced my brakes) if anything was going to need replacing in the near future back in January when he was doing the safety inspection :
" No..no..everything looks good."
Now, less than 3 months later I need new brakes ?
WTF ??

Feryk
1st May 13, 09:51 AM
The fuck is either not very observant, or figured you didn't have enough money to afford it at the time, but do now.

I'd take your car somewhere else and pay them for an inspection to compare. It's probably $150 or so, but it'll tell you if the guy is full of shit or not.