PDA

View Full Version : Good coat for Canadian winter?

Dr. Socially Liberal Fiscally Conservative Vermin
30th October 12, 05:29 PM
So any suggestions for a decent coat for the Canadian winter?

Had a look at Canada Goose (http://ca.canadianicons.ca/collections/parka) nice but pricey.

Spade: The Real Snake
30th October 12, 05:42 PM
Yes
American Sunshine

Sent by telekinesis via Cerebro

30th October 12, 07:33 PM
Thanks for your reply it will be taken into consideration.

Harpy
30th October 12, 08:02 PM
There might be some cheap coats for sale in New Jersey.

30th October 12, 08:09 PM
Probably all been looted by now.

Hedley LaMarr
31st October 12, 01:21 AM
Have you lived in super cold climates before (I'm talking -15 to -20 degrees below zero Fahrenheit)? If not, here are some tips.

A baggy coat is your friend. So are layers. I'd suggest a wool jacket or something significantly heavy (carhartt's a great brand in the US, you can't go wrong with it honestly.) Thick sweatshirts would work as well. Put a windbreaking layer over that. Goretex should do the trick. Wind's the real killer out here.

The same rules more or less apply for legs and footwear. Invest in long underwear. Your legs will thank you. Get a couple different hats as well, hats are great in winter. There's the infamous Canadian toque but any beanie will due. Scarves are a must, and if it's particularly nasty coat your face in vaseline. I'd advise against face masks, they look ridiculous and make you look like a bank robber.

If that sounds like a lot of gear take heart. Snake spends about 10 times that every summer air conditioning his Arizona money pit.

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
31st October 12, 01:32 AM
canada goose aint bad for what you get. really hard to find anyone that uses that fill at a lower pricepoint - any cheaper and you're getting artificial fills or just less density, they're less effective. not really great looking but practical, obliviates the need to wear a million layers and cheaper than any wool coat that would actually be effective.

military surplus might be a helpful way to get some cold weather gear cheaply but if you don't know what you're doing you may have trouble distinguishing from genuine surplus and knock off surplus (which is always shit because it's made to the obscenely low surplus price point)

go to an antique store and you could find a fur coat for anywhere from $60 - $200 that shit will be pretty steezy

p.s. get thermals or wool tights if you're secure in your masculinity
p.p.s. wool socks
p.p.p.s. fur hat :D :D :D

or maybe just get this coat in the center looks pretty warm
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ly20jwr1mv1qgj6jvo1_500.jpg

Hedley LaMarr
31st October 12, 01:35 AM
PS Don't take winter weather wear advice from a Californian.

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
31st October 12, 01:37 AM
don't listen to this man he wants you to be as unsteezy as he is
get the fur coat

Hedley LaMarr
31st October 12, 01:48 AM
1. Fur coats look absolutely ridiculous. Canada has plenty of rednecks who would love nothing more than to beat up a British queer. If you want "stylish" look for a secondhand leather jacket. It will have a nice worn look and is great as a windbreaking layer.
2. Military surplus is garbage. No major military action has taken place in cold climates since at least the Korean War or World War II, and I assure you the gear was definitely not up to par. Few soldiers complained about their gear being too warm. Quality real military winter gear (and I'm sure it's fabulous) is hard to come by, and it's not worth the price you'd pay. Chances are it's some high-tech goretex with a shit MARPAT pattern.

When it comes to cold, substance over style. Every time. Again, this is why you never take cold weather wear advice from a Californian.

Hedley LaMarr
31st October 12, 01:49 AM
Although the wool tights are probably a good idea.

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
31st October 12, 01:55 AM
over in pomona there's a military antique store stocked to the gills with musty old greatcoats and shorter wool jackets
most milsurplus stores are bullshit but if you find the right one you can get superb stuff for fairly cheap. tho you're going to ring hell for the dry cleaning bills so that they stop smelling like a fukken warehouse

as for fur
that kind of proves my point

WAAAAAAH I'M AFRAID OF BITCHIN CLOTHES SO NO ONE SHOULD WEAR THEM
come on maybe instead of being a hater you can be happy for a brotha with some swag
http://i1081.photobucket.com/albums/j347/Charles_Henderson/ow03ad1.jpg

motha
fukken
snakeskin
boots

Hedley LaMarr
31st October 12, 02:01 AM
over in pomona there's a military antique store stocked to the gills with musty old greatcoats and shorter wool jackets
most milsurplus stores are bullshit but if you find the right one you can get superb stuff for fairly cheap. tho you're going to ring hell for the dry cleaning bills so that they stop smelling like a fukken warehouse

as for fur
that kind of proves my point

WAAAAAAH I'M AFRAID OF BITCHIN CLOTHES SO NO ONE SHOULD WEAR THEM
come on maybe instead of being a hater you can be happy for a brotha with some swag
http://i1081.photobucket.com/albums/j347/Charles_Henderson/ow03ad1.jpg

motha
fukken
snakeskin
boots
I personally don't care one way or the other if someone else wears fur, it's their body. But this isn't SoCal. He's living in Canada, and he's already got a funny accent. He doesn't need to fruit himself up more than that. Besides, thrift stores are filled with what people here throw out, and fur coats ain't one of them. It's going to be knockoff superclub coats, ratty trenchcoats, maybe a few fur-lined coats. The kind of furs people wore back when it was fashionable aren't heirloom quality. This isn't Hollywood, and you aren't on the red carpet.

But mostly, fur looks ridiculous.

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
31st October 12, 02:02 AM
antique stores are not vintage stores are not thrift stores are not salvation army stores
get it together

Harpy
31st October 12, 02:06 AM
1. Fur coats look absolutely ridiculous. Canada has plenty of rore than to beat up a British queer.
2. Military surplus is garbage. No major military action has taken place in cold climates since... and it's not worth the price you'd pay..
You have thoroughly whooped MJS' 19 year old know-it-all ass.

Hedley LaMarr
31st October 12, 02:07 AM
antique stores are not vintage stores are not thrift stores are not salvation army stores
get it together
Again, this isn't Socal. There's not much of a difference out here. You really should get out more.

Adouglasmhor
31st October 12, 02:08 AM
Although the wool tights are probably a good idea.

Get Merino if you can find it.

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
31st October 12, 02:10 AM
Again, this isn't Socal. There's not much of a difference out here. You really should get out more.

"i live in a place so barren and devoid of human life that we can't even stratify our second hand clothing stores you should abandon your metropolitan locale and see how we live in the ass end of the first world p.s. please send humanitarian aid"

Hedley LaMarr
31st October 12, 02:15 AM
"i live in a place so barren and devoid of human life that we can't even stratify our second hand clothing stores you should abandon your metropolitan locale and see how we live in the ass end of the first world p.s. please send humanitarian aid"
Personally I enjoy living in a place were I don't have to deal with trivial minutia like different types of second hand stores. It frees me up for activities I actually enjoy. But if that's your thing go for it. It's not going to help you deal with cold climates though.

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
31st October 12, 02:27 AM
way to make a thread about warm clothing about YOU instead dick

Hedley LaMarr
31st October 12, 02:35 AM
way to prevent me from taking a thread about warm clothing from becoming another "Watch MJS dump pictures of twinks he wants to bone" fest.

Adouglasmhor
31st October 12, 03:03 AM
Get something form north Face, Karrimor or Lowe Alpine or something like that.

31st October 12, 07:56 AM
Snake spends about 10 times that every summer air conditioning his Arizona money pit.
I do "balanced payments", where they average out the yearly usage and spend $90 a month in electricity, cuz I properly insulate the house and have SunScape screens on every window.

1. Fur coats look absolutely ridiculous. Canada has plenty of rednecks who would love nothing more than to beat up a British queer
Go get a fur coat.
STAT

31st October 12, 08:21 AM
Well the fur thing is out. I might be able to get a away with it over here (did see a great Bear skin coat with Coyote trims on ebay) but back in the UK fur is a massive no no.

31st October 12, 08:35 AM
Rent Strange Brew and dress as accordingly

NoBowie
31st October 12, 10:08 AM
Rent Strange Brew and dress as accordingly
"It's a jelly."

---------------------------

Only follow MJS' suggestions if you want to attract gay men. Otherwise, go for something more practical / manly. The North Face stuff is good.

Sheepskin rocks. I like overland:

http://www.overland.com/Products/Coats---Jackets-415/Sheepskin-Coats-7200/Mens-Sheepskin-Coats-8201/Browse.aspx

Microfiber Coat with Sheepskin Lining: Hell yeah!

http://i1143.photobucket.com/albums/n624/Egg_NoB/coat.jpg

http://www.overland.com/Products/NewNotable-590/HotBrands-1003/OverlandCoats-8405/MensStuartMicrofiberCoatwithSheepskinLining/PID-38206.aspx

31st October 12, 10:59 AM
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-TqDI6Ziml3Y/Twd6BWXjOMI/AAAAAAAAAdc/nNkcRM8bF8E/s1600/puffy+coat.jpg

Robot Jesus
31st October 12, 01:59 PM
where are you going? The needs for an urban centre will be very different from going trekking in the mountains.

For Calgary you will need two winter jackets, one that's good for -20, so a nice wool coat with a sweater underneath; and one for the bitter cold or a blizzard.

for the latter I would suggest you come here first and then buy the coat, you can evaluate all your options and talk to someone who sells coats and has to live here.

any you will look like the Michelin man, it gets down to -40 here some days; and then we'll get a chinook and you can almost go out in shorts.

31st October 12, 02:09 PM
He's already in Canucklestan
Can't you tell by the stench

Feryk
31st October 12, 02:29 PM
Dr. F, you are in Toronto, correct?

So, not that cold, but some humidity. That's a different set of needs than the bald ass plains.

Make your life simple. Go down to either Costco or some other department store. Find a winter coat that uses Goretex or something similar. It shouldn't cost more than $150 at the most, and it does not need to be overly bulky.

Dress in layers. If the Goretex isn't cutting it, put on a hoodie or two underneath it. If you cannot handle -30 degrees Celsius in that, you are a pussy.

As RJ said, I have two jackets. One is leather and works until about -15. After that, I say 'fuck fashion', and I pull out the parka. If I'm dealing with temps below -30, I don't go outside more than I have to.

Simple. No need to overthink this. And goosedown is a fucking pain in the ass to take care of, btw.

OZZ
31st October 12, 03:26 PM
MJS is the last person on earth you should listen to for fashion tips.

Good coats for Canadian winters = Canada Goose, The North Face or Columbia.
I have both North Face and Columbia Jackets as well as my leather coats. If you like to wear leather jackets in the winter, get a scarf.

Robot Jesus
31st October 12, 03:42 PM
or you could just movie to a city that has addressed this architecturally.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%2B15

Harpy
31st October 12, 03:47 PM
No one has asked Dr Max what his budget is and I'm starting to worry that it's $20 and he's going to be stuffing newspaper down his shirt.

NoBowie
31st October 12, 03:49 PM
or you could just movie to a city that has addressed this architecturally.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%2B15

God I detest Calgary. C'mon, the place's biggest event each year is called the 'Stampede'

Canuck rednecks.

Hedley LaMarr
31st October 12, 03:52 PM
No one has asked Dr Max what his budget is and I'm starting to worry that it's $20 and he's going to be stuffing newspaper down his shirt.
With $20 he could find a decent windbreaker and a few sweaters at a thrift store. If he's in Toronto that should do it. Just not a fur coat or goose down or whatever else MJS thinks is "stylish."

31st October 12, 03:52 PM
It's Canucklestan, home of the incessantly polite.
He need only ask the wearer of a coat his likes: "pretty please" and they will surely remove the coat and endure the elements so as to not run the risk of losing face.

31st October 12, 05:59 PM
Sheepskin rocks. I like overland:

Microfiber Coat with Sheepskin Lining: Hell yeah!

If I could afford that much I'd go Canada Goose and I wouldnt of started this thread.

I just got one of these from an Army Surplus....

Alpha Industries N-3B Parka (http://www.alphaindustries.com/Mens-Flight-Jackets/Alpha-Industries-N-3B-Parka.asp?gclid=CKHlh_GsrLMCFVBgMgod_GsAXQ)

Really good fit, I put it on when I bought it had to swap back to my usual coat as it was too hot!

Adouglasmhor
1st November 12, 03:58 AM
With $20 he could find a decent windbreaker and a few sweaters at a thrift store. If he's in Toronto that should do it. Just not a fur coat or goose down or whatever else MJS thinks is "stylish."
For around $20 he could order a puffa or a quilted jacket from a clearance place like sportsdirect.com they must have something similar in Candida.

Adouglasmhor
1st November 12, 04:08 AM
If I could afford that much I'd go Canada Goose and I wouldnt of started this thread.

I just got one of these from an Army Surplus....

Alpha Industries N-3B Parka (http://www.alphaindustries.com/Mens-Flight-Jackets/Alpha-Industries-N-3B-Parka.asp?gclid=CKHlh_GsrLMCFVBgMgod_GsAXQ)

Really good fit, I put it on when I bought it had to swap back to my usual coat as it was too hot!

I have a beaten up old Schott N3B which I had forgotten about till I saw your post, I think I will dig it out to take to the west highlands and Argyle next week.

NoBowie
1st November 12, 08:29 AM
http://i1143.photobucket.com/albums/n624/Egg_NoB/RbT4p.gif

Pie of Hate
1st November 12, 11:03 AM
These should keep you nice and warm.

1st November 12, 11:13 AM
everyone knows that dirty bugger barebacks it

NoBowie
1st November 12, 11:18 AM
Just wear a 'phat' suit like Ellen:

http://i1143.photobucket.com/albums/n624/Egg_NoB/dress.jpg

Feryk
1st November 12, 02:06 PM
God I detest Calgary. C'mon, the place's biggest event each year is called the 'Stampede'

Canuck rednecks.

I have never loved you more than I do right now, NoB.

7th November 12, 06:17 PM
New coat has good pockets :-D

7th November 12, 06:34 PM
prison wallet

Harpy
7th November 12, 06:41 PM
Max, post pix of the jacket.

8th November 12, 06:56 PM
Max, post pix of the jacket.

iParka and interactive look around Dr Max's new coat. Click on the black square to get realistic colour and hover the mouse over any part of the coat to get a close up! (http://www.alphaindustries.com/Mens-Flight-Jackets/Alpha-Industries-N-3B-Parka.asp?gclid=CKHlh_GsrLMCFVBgMgod_GsAXQ)

NoBowie
8th November 12, 08:09 PM
iParka and interactive look around Dr Max's new coat. Click on the black square to get realistic colour and hover the mouse over any part of the coat to get a close up! (http://www.alphaindustries.com/Mens-Flight-Jackets/Alpha-Industries-N-3B-Parka.asp?gclid=CKHlh_GsrLMCFVBgMgod_GsAXQ)

I like it! Very rugged looking, without being redneck-y.

Harpy
8th November 12, 08:28 PM
Two votes of approval, you're good to go Dr F.