PDA

View Full Version : NHL Season (?) 2012-2013

OZZ
24th October 12, 09:49 AM
Breaking news here !
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=408031

Feryk
24th October 12, 02:49 PM
Well, THAT is going to make an impact in Edmonton. If nothing else, it shows that if a city isn't interested in building an appropriate arena, then the NHL is willing to move a team.

Spade: The Real Snake
24th October 12, 03:08 PM
Well, THAT is going to make an impact in Edmonton. If nothing else, it shows that if a city isn't interested in building an appropriate arena, then the NHL is willing to move a team.
That's how we got the 'Yotes.

Feryk
24th October 12, 03:57 PM
And now you cannot get rid of them.

OZZ
24th October 12, 05:00 PM
Charles Wang has bent over backwards trying to get an arena deal done with Long Island.
The people and politicians there have no one to blame but themselves, and when the Isles are on the rise again and packing 'em in at their new home in Brooklyn they will regret it.

Feryk
26th October 12, 03:30 PM
No, they won't. Politicians will never look backward. If anything, they'll blame Wang and say that he planned this from the beginning.

The fans, the local bar owners, the hoteliers, etc. they will be the ones who regret it.

OZZ
17th November 12, 10:19 AM
http://www.sbnation.com/nhl/2012/11/14/3645338/wayne-simmonds-philadelphia-flyers-racism

Apparently its harder for a black man to play hockey in Europe than it is in Georgia.

OZZ
13th January 13, 09:00 PM
Game on next Saturday..
This will be a good time to play Pro Line , there should be lots of unexpected victories by weaker teams in the coming weeks.
With the firing of Brian Burke, there is now a better chance that Roberto Luongo and his massive contract could find himself in Toronto.

Feryk
15th January 13, 03:22 PM
Luongo will blow at least one critical save in the playoffs, and the TO fans will crush him like a bug for it.

So, yeah. Let's see it happen!

OZZ
16th January 13, 09:22 PM
lmao
The Lockout has enabled the Habs in dumping Gomez and his ridiculous salary.
One of the biggest busts in NHL history, to be sure.
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=413671#YourCallTop
Not sure what happened to this guy, he used to be a decent player.

OZZ
16th January 13, 09:25 PM
Luongo will blow at least one critical save in the playoffs, and the TO fans will crush him like a bug for it.

So, yeah. Let's see it happen!

Oh Man, he thought the media in Vancouver was bad and he was under intense scrutiny there. He'll probably end up in a psych ward on suicide watch in Toronto.
It would be just like the Leafs to blow at high dough on this guy..he's a proven choker.
Too bad, because he's got it in him to be one of the best. But he collapses under pressure.

Feryk
17th January 13, 03:13 PM
Ergo, he will not be legendary. We seem to have a dearth of HOF calibre goalies at the moment.

OZZ
10th February 13, 10:43 AM
Habs were humiliated by the Leafs on home ice last night 6-0.
On the Hockey Day In Canada broadcast no less, poor bastards.

I have to admit, the lowly Leafs are looking better under Randy Carlyle's leadership. They brought Colton Orr back into the fold and have added a couple of other bigger players. Nobody will be shoving them around this year.
More importantly, James Reimer is playing like he did in his rookie season and that will be a key factor in whether they make the playoffs or not.
In a shortened season, weird things happen.

OZZ
15th February 13, 07:37 PM
Tough luck for Ottawa ..Karlsson's injury ended his season.
*ouch*

Sens owner Eugene Melnyk is very upset about the incident , especially because Matt ' The Rat ' Cooke was the one who drove him into the boards.
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=416046

16th February 13, 10:01 AM
Melnyk sounds like he owns a soccer club.

Feryk
20th February 13, 01:18 PM
I saw that play. It didn't look intentional to me at all.

Plus, why the hell isn't Karlson wearing a pair of Kevlar socks? It helps prevent exactly that kind of problem.

OZZ
20th February 13, 07:20 PM
I agree on both points Feryk..

Lindy Ruff was given the boot today.
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=416441
Probably not a bad move, he's been around a long time and maybe the players were beginning to tune him out a bit.
Sabres need a shakeup regardless.

OZZ
23rd February 13, 02:50 PM
The usually-clean Taylor Hall was pretty reckless on the play that resulted in a two-game ban.
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=416614
Clutterbuck has submarined plenty of guys over the course of his career though. Things usually have a way of evening out.
The Hockey Gods are ever-watchful.

23rd February 13, 03:17 PM

OZZ
3rd March 13, 08:40 PM
Watch the vid of Zolinierczyk's hit. He got 4 games for it.
Looks like a textbook Scott Stevens hit to me.
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=417312

My, how times change.

OZZ
9th March 13, 10:16 AM
Chicago's regulation winning streak is now over...
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=417716

Not bad, but still not close to the record unbeaten streak set by the Flyers in the 79-80 NHL season.
http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/8995699/nhl-old-philadelphia-flyers-know-makes-streak

That was the year a certain 9 year old boy from Ontario became a Flyers fan...

OZZ
18th March 13, 05:03 PM
Just about time for my mid-season rant/report/analysis
I know you are all anxiously waiting, but you will have to wait a couple of days.
Flyers VS Lightning tonight on TSN 7pm.

OZZ
18th March 13, 10:25 PM
Fucking Philly..they aren't even going to make the playoffs this year by the looks of it.
Bryz is buyout material if that happens.

Feryk
19th March 13, 05:04 PM
Philly was not ever able to create the dynasty they envisioned. They've been trying for 20 years now.

At some point, they need to tear it down to build it up again.

Believe me, I've had to watch it for three years now. Not fun, but this year, I'm watching more games than before because the new kids are fun to watch.

They still need to come along, but I'm hoping we can shoot for a playoff spot.

Cup final is still a ways away though.

OZZ
19th March 13, 07:37 PM
Philly doesn't need to rebuild, and they are usually among the most competitive teams in the league with a chance at winning the Eastern Conference most seasons.
The Flyers have been to the Finals SIX times since their last Cup in the 70's. The problem was and continues to be - goaltending.
Dynasties are a thing of the past, Feryk. There will never be teams like that again. The economics of the game have changed too much.
Edmonton was the last true dynasty. Pittsburgh's two consecutive Cups with Mario and Detroit of the late 90's were the closest things to a dynasty the NHL has seen since the true Oilers dynasties of the eighties.

20th March 13, 10:44 AM
Just about time for my mid-season rant/report/analysis
I know you are all anxiously waiting, but you will have to wait a couple of days.

Take your time, we can wait

OZZ
21st March 13, 10:33 AM
Here's a look at a young punk getting taught a lesson in manners and fighting protocol by ' The Constable ' Kevin Westgarth
Watch both videos to see Shanny's ruling and the altercation in its entirety.
http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/panthers-eric-selleck-suspended-two-games-fight-definitely-201815184--nhl.html

You don't go after a guy at the end of a shift to start a fight, especially when you are a nobody recently called up from the AHL.

Feryk
21st March 13, 01:16 PM
Philly doesn't need to rebuild, and they are usually among the most competitive teams in the league with a chance at winning the Eastern Conference most seasons.
The Flyers have been to the Finals SIX times since their last Cup in the 70's. The problem was and continues to be - goaltending.
Dynasties are a thing of the past, Feryk. There will never be teams like that again. The economics of the game have changed too much.
Edmonton was the last true dynasty. Pittsburgh's two consecutive Cups with Mario and Detroit of the late 90's were the closest things to a dynasty the NHL has seen since the true Oilers dynasties of the eighties.

Yes, Philly has consistently been a good team. But they haven't won. And goaltending has only been one part of the problem. Which roster would you rather have? Chicago, Pittsburgh or Philly?

Your team needs that franchise goalie, but they can't afford him without blowing up the team. So they need to blow up the team for three years.

And they won't, for many reasons. So you are left with hoping for an out of body experience to get you a Cup.

OZZ
21st March 13, 05:07 PM
Dude, don't even get me started.
You don't blow up your team to get a franchise goalie. Ideally, you grow one from within. But its hard to do. A goalie who goes in the first round at the draft is just as likely to end up a regular starter as one that goes in the 16th round. It is the hardest position for scouts to accurately predict.
In Philly's case, the last goalie who came through their own system and went on to a decent career was Brian Boucher. Before that, Ron Hextall and before that, Pelle Lindbergh.
The problem Philly has , and seems to have no matter who is running the show, is a tendency to overrate goalies , and sometimes try to cheap out instead of signing a Ryan Miller or a Jonathan Quick.
For once, they decided to spend big money on a FA goalie and acquired Bryzgalov - the first big money goalie the team has had since Hextall retired. That's over a decade ago ! I know that true franchise goalies don't exactly grow on trees and its not often that one become available via free agency. However, after the last Cup Final appearance management decided enough was enough . Unfortunately, in their desperation they turned to a goalie who had good regular season numbers, but on a defense-oriented team. Further, Bryzgalov was largely unproven in the playoffs - a major factor that the scouting staff and management should have taken into account before betting the goddamn farm on him.
He has shown flashes of brilliance, but is pretty much a huge bust considering his salary and the level of expectation that follows.
The loss of Chris Pronger is also a factor in the team's struggles this season, the blueline is shaky with only Timmonen and Coburn as solid veterans; the Schenn brothers continue to get better, but they are still young and defensemen take a long time to develop.
Offensively, the team is fine with a nice mix of veterans and youngsters with tremendous upside. Although not everyone is playing up to their potential right now *cough* Giroux*cough*
So there you have it.
As far as your team goes - you have plenty to look forward to with the young corps assembeled. But your goal crease isn't exactly an area of strength either.

Feryk
22nd March 13, 12:19 PM
Dude, don't even get me started.

*cough* Too late :)

You don't blow up your team to get a franchise goalie. Ideally, you grow one from within. But its hard to do. A goalie who goes in the first round at the draft is just as likely to end up a regular starter as one that goes in the 16th round. It is the hardest position for scouts to accurately predict.

No doubt. However, that is NOT the only way. Philly COULD trade for Luongo - he's on the block - and he's a franchise goalie. They won't, because of his ridiculous contract (not that Philly has been afraid of that in the past), and because Vancouver would still want a lot back. You don't have enough depth to give up what Vancouver would want, and still be competitive. Luongo would be one HELL of an upgrade - with Cup final experience.

In Philly's case, the last goalie who came through their own system and went on to a decent career was Brian Boucher. Before that, Ron Hextall and before that, Pelle Lindbergh.
The problem Philly has , and seems to have no matter who is running the show, is a tendency to overrate goalies , and sometimes try to cheap out instead of signing a Ryan Miller or a Jonathan Quick.
For once, they decided to spend big money on a FA goalie and acquired Bryzgalov - the first big money goalie the team has had since Hextall retired. That's over a decade ago ! I know that true franchise goalies don't exactly grow on trees and its not often that one become available via free agency. However, after the last Cup Final appearance management decided enough was enough . Unfortunately, in their desperation they turned to a goalie who had good regular season numbers, but on a defense-oriented team. Further, Bryzgalov was largely unproven in the playoffs - a major factor that the scouting staff and management should have taken into account before betting the goddamn farm on him.

They would need to move Bryzgalov to take Luongo. It would require a herculean effort to swing that deal. Your GM would need naked pics of the other GMs gangbanging a goat.

He has shown flashes of brilliance, but is pretty much a huge bust considering his salary and the level of expectation that follows. The expectation is to win the East. Philly will have trouble making the playoffs.

The loss of Chris Pronger is also a factor in the team's struggles this season, the blueline is shaky with only Timmonen and Coburn as solid veterans; the Schenn brothers continue to get better, but they are still young and defensemen take a long time to develop.
Offensively, the team is fine with a nice mix of veterans and youngsters with tremendous upside. Although not everyone is playing up to their potential right now *cough* Giroux*cough*
So there you have it.
As far as your team goes - you have plenty to look forward to with the young corps assembeled. But your goal crease isn't exactly an area of strength either.

Dubnyk has a .919 save percentage. On THIS team (not a defensive powerhouse), that's great. He's not our problem. Our problem is an inconsistent team with young guns who haven't figured out how to HIT THE NET (some of the lowest shooting percentages in the league). Fun to watch, though.

Pronger leaves a big hole when he bails on his team (I know, this time it's an actual injury). He's a future HOF first ballot. As I originally said:

BLOW IT UP. Suck for three years, get some decent picks, and solve your goal tending issues.

OZZ
22nd March 13, 04:09 PM
Under the new CBA , every team is allowed a one-time buyout that doesn't count against the salary cap. The Isles used theirs to dump The Glass Goalie and the Rangers used theirs to dump Wade Redden's salary.
If Philly misses the playoffs, Bryz will be buyout material.

BLOW IT UP. Suck for three years, get some decent picks, and solve your goal tending issues.

Under different circumstances, I would say yes, but right now I don't think its a smart move. We have a lot of offense headed up by guys in their prime (Giroux, Simmonds, Voracek) and a younger corps we can expect good things from ( Matt Read, Brayden Schenn, Sean Coturier).
Luongo isn't the right fit for this team. Philadelphia is a renowned graveyard for goalies and the pressure to perform is immense, I think it would be too much for him.
What we need is a good young prospect. The kid playing net for the London Knights this year is a Flyers draft pick and I've been watching him carefully when I go to the games.
I feel like a scout lol

25th March 13, 04:07 PM
What we need is a good young prospect. The kid playing net for the London Knights this year is a Flyers draft pick and I've been watching him carefully when I go to the games.
I feel like a scout lol
MOAR like a SANDUSKY, amirite?

OZZ
26th March 13, 09:40 PM
Here we are at the end of March in a shortened season and things are, to say the least, not quite going according to plan/prediction for a number of NHL teams. For some fans its good news, for others..not so much.
You mean to tell me the Toronto Maple Leafs, Montreal Canadiens and Ottawa Senators are all going to qualify for the playoffs in the same season ?? Its certainly looking that way. Despite the loss of Jason Spezza, Erik Karlsson and starting goalie Craig Anderson ?? Unbelievable, really..kudos to Paul Maclean for getting the most out of the youngsters who have been filling the void and to veterans Daniel Alfredsson, Chris Neil and Chris Phillips for their leadership. Speaking of leadership, how about the drop in production by Ryan Nugent-Hopkins and Ryan Smyth out in Alberta ?? A dramatic drop-off in productivity for Nugent-Hopkins ( a mere 12 points and only two goals ) has to be alarming for the Edmonton Oilers coaching staff. Good thing Sam Gagner is on his game this year or the oil would be setting a record for least goals scored.
But the biggest drop-off of note is the play of Alex Ovechkin. How many times will we have to see Russian players do this before management teams around the league get wise and absolutely refuse to sign any Russian-born player to a long-term, big money contract. Pavel Bure, Alexander Mogilny and many others all underachieved after getting the big dough. These Russian superstars are fast out of the gate, but not much on longevity. Nobody is comparing Ovechkin to Sidney Crosby anymore..
However miserable their season has been, the Tampa Bay Lightning have to be happy with the play of Steven Stamkos (22g and 41 pts.) who continues to be the most prolific goal-scorer in the NHL. Too bad Guy Boucher couldn't find a new system after boring us all to deah with his 1-3-1 system for two years, maybe he would still have a job.
The positive thing about the Lightning's decline is that the always-weak Southeast Division and its automatic playoff seed is up for grabs and presently in the hands of the surging Winnipeg Jets who are still (rather ridiculously) stuck in the Southeast since re alignment doesn't take effect until next year. Playoffs in Winnipeg this season ? That arena will be rockin !!
But which team is the biggest bust so far this season ? You would have to say the Philadelphia Flyers take that crown. It seems like the Flyers have not been able to regain their footing after a rough 1-5 start to the season. The reasons? Well, they are many including sub par seasons from Claude Giroux and Scott Hartnell alolng with Ilya Bryzgalov - who often takes more than his fair share of the blame for the team's fortunes. The D-Corps on this team, aside from Kimmo Timmonen leaves much to be desired. If Philly fails to make the playoffs, Peter Laviolette will surely be out of a job.
Is this the year Jarome Iginla finally gets traded to a contender? It certainly looks like it. Its about damn time for the Calgary Flames to rebuild..just get on with it.
I hate to admit it, but the Toronto Maple Leafs are looking like a playoff team as well. James Van Riemsdyk seems to have found a home there and Nazem Kadri is finally living up to his potential with a strong season (14G 21A and +18) his defensive play has improved dramatically as well..good for him.
The Los Angeles Kings look like they could repeat as Cup Champions. But the Boston Bruins, Chicago BlackHawks and Vancouver all look strong as well.
Speaking of the Vancouver Canucks - what the hell is up with the Roberto Luongo situation ? His contract is so ludicrous they can't trade him, but he seems to be outplaying Corey Schneider this year now that the pressure was lifted from him a bit. Weird..
Yeah, yeah, the Pittsburgh Penguins are a contender again. I know, Sidney Crosby, Evgeni Malkin etc. etc. but as long as Marc Andre Fleury continues to be inconsistent, I say their chances are slim.
The New York Rangers are barely clinging to a playoff spot and are sporting an awful power play for some reason, despite having Brad Richards and Rick Nash as headliners. Maybe the boys are spending a few too many nights on the town?
Most surprising to me are the Montreal Canadiens, who were finally able to unload Scott Gomez. Carey Price (2.28 GAA and a .913 sv% with 2 shutouts on a fairly mediocre team defensively) gets my vote for starter in Sochi..
More later...

OZZ
29th March 13, 11:45 AM
Iginla gets traded to the Penguins..
My, how that will alter my opinion of him now that he is playing for the Flyers hated interstate rival.

OZZ
1st April 13, 12:41 PM
Owwww !!
Crosby out indefinitely with a broken jaw.
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=419545

Max Talbot out with a broken leg
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=419584

OZZ
3rd April 13, 08:55 AM
Trade deadline..
No Japuma, no Nasreal ..
This thread is doomed.

Feryk
3rd April 13, 10:10 AM
Well, Calgary blew up their team, and the general consensus is that they didn't get enough for Iginla and Bouwmeister. They had to do it, though. Not a lot of choice.

Now, it looks like Kiprusoff is on the block. That might be a good get for Philly if they are still committed to keeping the team they have.

OZZ
3rd April 13, 11:43 AM
I heard that Kipper isn't too keen to leave Calgary because his wife just had a baby.
I think he may have agreed to consider accepting a trade within Canada, but he doesn't want to go far from home.
Its looking like he may retire at the end of the season anyways.
Philly thought they were doing the right thing signing Bryz and shipping out Bobrovsky. Guess what - Bob's got better numbers this season and he is on one of the weakest teams in the NHL.
He sucked big time in the playoffs, but that was just nerves..they should have kept him around for another season as insurance.
But word is that he resented being shoved aside by Bryz and they didn't get along very well. He also wanted to be a starter, not a backup.
I dunno feryk, I was thinking that Philly shouldn't blow up the team, but if they miss the playoffs, maybe they should ..its hard to say.
You don't want to get rid of Giroux, Simmonds, Rinaldo or Coturier, but maybe its time to move Briere and Hartnell. Hartnell is popular with the fans though, so that would be tough.
Voracek is having a good year and could be decent trade bait too..but he may be too valuable to move. He went right after a guy the other night after he landed a solid hit on Giroux..when a skilled player does that as opposed to a brawler, you know he is fully committed to the team.
Anyways, the trade deadline is so over-hyped now its not even funny. The sports channels turn it into an all-day event and there isn't even enough action to justify it half the time.

Feryk
3rd April 13, 11:52 AM
The last minute blockbuster is rare - but it happens often enough that they can justify the hype. I doubt you will see much this year, but for teams on the bubble (St. Louis, Nashville, Detroit in the west NY Isles, Rangers, and Jersey in the East) there could be some more moves yet.

EDIT - looks like you called it with Kiprusoff. Staying put. Jagr is moving to the Bruins?

OZZ
3rd April 13, 12:01 PM
Yeah..Jagr got traded yesterday I think.
There's been a couple of big names moved..but I think Vancouver is still asking too much for Luongo considering the size of his contract so he will probably stay put.
Montreal should add some more toughness for a playoff run.

Feryk
3rd April 13, 12:03 PM
If I were running Montreal, I would change nothing right now. They are my pick for the Eastern Conference.

Which is only good because I know how much it will piss off Leafs fans.

OZZ
3rd April 13, 01:54 PM
Hey !
The Flyers just got Steve Mason from Columbus !!!!
Philly's goaltending issues are solved !!!
* bangs head against wall *

Feryk
3rd April 13, 02:12 PM
Columbus is emerging as the big player at the deadline. They picked up Gaborik and a few less notable players.

OZZ
5th April 13, 09:28 AM
Nice..with the win over the Leafs last night the Flyers are on a 4 game winning streak.
Keep the ball rolling. Hopefully some of the teams ahead of Philly will lose a few and help out.

OZZ
20th April 13, 04:25 PM
With the win over Florida last night, the NYR officially eliminated the Flyers from playoff contention.
Now Philly should just be shooting for a top ten pick in the draft..if their first pick hasn't already been traded. I don't think it has.
Its been a while since the Flyers missed the post-season. I hate to have to put my jersey in the closet so soon.
I say play Steve Mason as much as possible now that the team has no chance of making it into the playoffs. Let's see if he can impress the coaching staff. He has already signed a one-year contract extension.
I guess I will cheer for the Habs.

Feryk
23rd April 13, 02:04 PM
Well, the Oilers managed to shit the bed for 8 games in a row - right after winning 5 to get into playoff contention. As a result, we've fired our GM and apparently are looking to get ANOTHER top 3 draft pick.

Something needs to happen for my team right fucking now. This season was not good enough by a long shot, and the last several games they played like they just didn't care. That must change.

Japuma
24th April 13, 07:14 AM
Caps clinch the last Southleastern division title, booyah. Time to do some damage in the playoffs this year.

Feryk
24th April 13, 12:05 PM
No offense, but that's like being the tallest man in Japan. Not saying much.

The Caps are a decent team, but there are much better teams in the East that they will have to beat. I doubt they are able.

OZZ
24th April 13, 12:33 PM
Caps clinch the last Southleastern division title, booyah. Time to do some damage in the playoffs this year.

Where the hell have you been ?
Figures you show up now, after last night's game. Where the hell were you in mid season when the Caps looked like they weren't even going to make the playoffs?
The Southeast Division is such a joke..I think they are going to be changing that automatic seed thing next year, so enjoy it while it lasts.
Winnipeg really was at a disadvantage by being stuck in that division this year and being subjected to all that extra travel. Next season they move over to the West where they belong.
Unfortunately for Jets players and fans, making the playoffs will just get harder for them in 2014 as the West is a much tougher conference to play and amass points in.

OZZ
24th April 13, 01:27 PM
I may be grasping at straws, but Steve Mason has looked extremely sharp in net for the Flyers since coming over in that trade with Columbus. Especially last night against the Bruins, which Philly won 5-2 btw
With the right goaltending coach and a chance to resurrect his career in a hockey-mad market like Philadelphia, perhaps Mason will find his game again. The kid was incredible in his rookie season, but has struggled mightily since about half way through his sophomore year.
The number one job is his to steal from the overpaid Bryzgalov..we will see what happens next year.
Dare to dream.. is the Flyer's nightmare in net coming to an end ??? And with a kid I used to watch play net for the London Knights as their saviour ?? That would be epic.

Feryk
24th April 13, 01:52 PM
Don't get your hopes up, Ozz. That way lies madness.

OZZ
28th April 13, 08:59 AM
Don't get your hopes up, Ozz. That way lies madness.

Madness ??
This is PHILLLLAADELLPPPHIIIAAA !!!

OZZ
28th April 13, 09:26 AM
Mason closed out the season in impressive fashion.
From what I understand, Holmgren is going to hang on to Bryz and he isn't planning on firing Laviolette either.
There is an apparent rift between Lavvy and the enigmatic goalie. So I guess they better work it out, because neither of them are going anywhere.

In other news..if Boston wins today (which they likely will) they play the Leafs. If Ottawa wins, Montreal plays the Leafs - which is the matchup everyone wants to see. Otherwise, Montreal gets the Isles and Toronto gets the Bruins in the 1st round.
Toronto can't beat Boston, so they will surely be out in the 1st round if the latter proves to be the case.
Most Habs fans I've spoken with seem to want to play the Islanders in the 1st round instead of the Leafs, since they Isles are seemingly easier to deal with. If you shut Tavares down..well..
Anyways..we will see.
The Caps get Ottawa in the first round, Japuma.
Minny is back in the playoffs this year - that will be nice for hockey fans in the Gopher State.

Japuma
28th April 13, 04:49 PM
Caps have the Rags in the first round, 4th time in 5 years.

OZZ
29th April 13, 03:13 PM
Hmmm..that will be a tough series. Tortorella is one of the best at getting 100% from his players in the post-season.
Habs get the Sens, The Isles get the Penguins and the Leafs get the Bruins in the East.
Chicago looks like the favorite to come out of the West this year.

Minnesota spent a lot of money in the off-season on free agents and those in danger of losing their jobs should not be foolish enough to think a first-round exit will satisfy management. More is expected than that and if it doesn't happen..heads will roll.

OZZ
30th April 13, 11:20 AM
Montreal's record against the Sens isn't great this year, or any year, actually. The Habs have traditionally struggled against the Sens since they re joined the league in the 90's..and Ottawa is riding hot goalies while Carey Price has struggled of late.
This could be an upset, especially now that Karlsson is back and already playing well..there are also rumors swirling that Spezza could be back sometime in the first round as well.
This is the first time they have met in the playoffs -ever. And these teams have a decent rivalry due to their relatively close proximity to on another.
Should be a good series
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=422016
I'm going to call an upset in this one, just for fun.
OTTAWA IN SEVEN

Canucks VS Sharks
Sharks have a history of first-round success and later-round failure.
I'm not sure what to make of this series. Vancouver is the obvious favorite, but I'm not sold on them due to last year's disappearance in the first-round.
I also admit to being pretty out of touch with the happenings in the Western Conference. When Edmonton and Calgary play poorly during the regular season and it is obvious they are not going to qualify for the post-season, I don't pay as much attention to what is going on over there. So I'm not even going to make a prediction for any Western Conference series' at this point. Other than to say that St.Louis will never win the Cup. They may, however, be able to pull off an upset against the defending-champion LA. Kings - who haven't looked as good this year as many thought they would.
More likely though that LA will get back on track and take them out.

Toronto V Boston
An Original Six match up. This one will be huge for SW Ontario. The Leafs haven't made the playoffs for 9 years, so fans here are pumped.
Problem is, the Bruins are probably too much for the Leafs. Not physically, as Toronto has beefed up and won't be intimidated by anyone. But the Buds have struggled against Boston the last couple of years and usually lose when they go up against them.
It would be a tremendous upset, from Boston's perspective, if the Leafs win this one, or even extend it beyond 5 or 6 games, actually.
The only thing working in the Leafs favor is that the B's didn't finish the season well and Kessel has been hot. He will have some extra motivation to put some big goals in during this series due to all the hoopla surrounding his trade from Boston to the Leafs a few years back.
Kessel is streaky, if he stays hot it will be good news for Toronto fans.
But I just cannot see a Bruins team that is only a couple of seasons removed form hoisting the Cup losing to the Toronto Maple
Leafs.
BRUINS IN SIX

Caps versus NYR
Capitals are one of the hottest teams in hockey right now, what a turnaround. I guess maybe it took a while for the guys to buy into Adam Oates' system ?
Oates is about as intelligent a hockey mind as you will find. He is one of the all-time great setup men who sees the ice like few people do.
Tortorella is one of the best motivators and match-up men coaching in the league today. I like his attitude and the way he gets everyone on the same page - especially in big games.
This is a great coaching match-up and the Rangers will give the Caps all they can handle. If King Henrik plays up to his normal standards, this will be a long, grueling series for the Caps with lots of shot-blocking for them to deal with.
CAPITALS IN SEVEN

Isle V Pens
I hate the Penguins..lord, do I hate them.
But the Islanders don't have a chance in this series. Even if their starting goalie Flop-Around-Fleury falters, they have a competent backup in Hedberg who can step in and ensure the Pens get out of the first round.
PENGUINS IN FIVE

Feryk
30th April 13, 12:47 PM
I'm guessing it's going to be Chicago vs. Montreal for the Cup.

If so, it will be great hockey.

I wouldn't mind Boston or Pittsburgh winning the East, either.

Caps go down second round, by my estimation.

In the West, it's Chicago's to lose. LA might pull it together for a helluva playoff run, we'll see, but I really don't see much other opposition.

Watch, fucking Luongo will end up carrying Vancouver to the Cup final again, just to piss me off!

OZZ
6th May 13, 10:58 AM
The Sens - Habs game last night was a blowout (6-1 final for Ottawa), but from a physical standpoint it was the best game I've watched so far in the playoffs.
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=422493
Both teams came out hitting hard and the nastiness overboiled in the final frame resulting in a line brawl along with two or three other fights before the game was over resulting in over 400 minutes in penalties - setting a new record for most penalty minutes in a playoff game. There were also several game misconducts, although I don't think there will be any suspensions.
This series has become increasingly hostile due to the controversial hit delivered by Eric Gryba which resulted in an ugly, bloody scene that had Montreal's Lars Eller wheeled off the ice with facial fractures and missing teeth. Gryba ended up with a two-game suspension..although the hit was probably clean when you take a closer look at it. The unfortunate thing about it was that Eller hit the ice face-first and was basically unconscious on the way down. A horrible mess..Shannahan had no choice but to dole out a suspension due to all the media hype and the awful pictures of a blood-soaked ice surface circulated in the press. A very bad pass from his teammate was the real culprit on this one.
http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/story/2013/05/03/sp-nhl-playoffs-suspension-eric-gryba-senators.html
Thankfully, Eller is okay, but it was enough to make a lot of people nervous. Reminds me of the Kevin Stevens incident a few years back...

The Isles are giving the Pens a run for their money too.

Toronto plays its first home playoff game in almost ten years tonight and the city is pumped - declaring it 'blue and white day'. I still like Boston in this series though..
How about those Canucks ??? Stick a fork in 'em. They R done.

Caps - Rangers series is one I haven't seem much of.
A lot of people are picking the Blackhawks to win the Cup this season..we will see.
LOTS of hockey yet to be played.

OZZ
7th May 13, 01:56 PM
THIS is what the highest average ticket prices in the NHL will get you ??? http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=422596

Yes, Vancouver fans with all their disposable income now pay even more than the long--suffering Leaf fans.
Management has steadily increased prices over the last five years with the promise of getting a Cup for them.
But its looking like the party is over.

Feryk
7th May 13, 03:28 PM
They fucking deserve it. They are the epitome of 'fair weather fans'.

Fuck Vancouver. Fuck the Canucks. I'd rather see Calgary win a Cup than those asswipes.

OZZ
8th May 13, 10:51 AM
They fucking deserve it. They are the epitome of 'fair weather fans'.

Fuck Vancouver. Fuck the Canucks. I'd rather see Calgary win a Cup than those asswipes.

Well, two first-round exits in a row ( both sweeps!!)means that this team is definitely not a true contender anymore.
The problem with the Canucks is they have lots of skill, but no heart, no grit..the Sedin brothers are quite easily shut down by an opposition that is determined to do so and beyond Kessler and Burrows they haven't got much of a legitimate scoring threat.
Back when this team had Brashear, Bertuzzi and Sopel I actually liked them because they had some character and toughness. Now I just think they are a bunch of panty-waists who believe their own press.
Luongo cannot be blamed for this one.

The Montreal - Ottawa series has been really good, and the Isles are giving the Pens all they can handle thanks to Flip flop Fleury.

Feryk
9th May 13, 03:45 PM
Bobby Lu can't be blamed for this, but they still will. This time, it's going to be 'his contract is soooo fat we can't afford the grit we need'.

Boo hoo. Your people signed the damn thing. It was stupid at the time, and it's still stupid.

Feryk
9th May 13, 03:46 PM
Personally, I'm hoping the Isles tip the Pens. Doubt it will happen, but I hope so. It'd be great for that franchise.

OZZ
10th May 13, 12:20 PM
Me too..but replacing Fleury with Vokoun might solve the Pens problems in net, he got a shutout last night.

Ottawa's upset over Montreal in that series is the talk of the town today.
Until the Leafs are eliminated tonight, that is.

Feryk
10th May 13, 12:48 PM
And I have once again proven that I know nothing about hockey in the playoffs!

OZZ
11th May 13, 12:05 PM
Well, the Caps have the Rangers on the ropes and the Leafs bought themselves some more time.
Toronto played extremely well last night, everyone, that is. Not just James Reimer; Boston turnovers were plenty through the first two periods and they didn't really turn it on until the third period. But Reimer and co. managed to hold the fort.
If TO manages to win on Sunday, forcing a game seven next week..well, as they say - anything can happen in a game seven.
Pens and Isles tonight..here's hoping the Isles can pull out another victory and draw this series out to seven as well.

OZZ
13th May 13, 10:28 AM
Goddamn Leafs..
They are getting better and better every game and the Bruins have lost their swagger.

13th May 13, 11:49 AM
DAMN!
They are fighting (http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/blog/eye-on-hockey/22226024/report-new-group-delivers-bid-to-purchase-phoenix-coyotes).....FIGHTING (http://www.foxsportsarizona.com/nhl/phoenix-coyotes/story/Pastor-group-delivers-Coyotes-purchase-b?blockID=901017&feedID=3702)....to buy (http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/blog/eye-on-hockey/22206714/report-prospective-coyotes-group-has-money-to-meet-with-nhl)the 'Yotes and keep it in the Valley of the Sun.
Everyone wants a little piece of heaven.

OZZ
13th May 13, 11:16 PM
I just hope that whoever buys them has an out clause so they can move the team in five years.
Bettman has turned this whole thing into such a personal crusade that the team will likely be stuck there until he isn't around anymore.
Square peg, round hole..yep, that's Gary's way.

OZZ
13th May 13, 11:17 PM
Leafs really put a scare into the Bruins..but its over now.
Lots of tears falling in Toronto tonight..

Feryk
14th May 13, 12:26 PM
I texted my one Leaf's fan acquaintance. It was along the lines of 'Sorry man, I really thought you'd have something to cheer about'.

His response: 'I'm well conditioned for failure.'

OZZ
14th May 13, 03:39 PM
Couldn't have happened to a better team lol

Well, I guess the Ottawa Senators are Canada's team now.
If Anderson stays hot, they could bring down the Pens. Pittsburgh is overrated and the Islanders proved it by pushing them to the brink in that series. Had Long Island actually had decent goaltending, the Pens may be out right now.
I wish I had seen more of the Blues - Kings series, because from the highlights it looked like it was a take-no-prisoners matchup. Really hard-hitting hockey..

I actually thought the Caps would win a series..stupid me. Sorry Japuma, Holtby played well and the team played into Oates' system, but in the end they were out-coached by Tortorella.

Feryk
14th May 13, 03:55 PM
I only caught a few minutes of one of the Blues - Kings games. It was entertaining for the time I watched it.

OZZ
20th May 13, 04:15 PM
I texted my one Leaf's fan acquaintance. It was along the lines of 'Sorry man, I really thought you'd have something to cheer about'.

His response: 'I'm well conditioned for failure.'

Nobody celebrates mediocrity like Maple Leaf fans...

Senators got back in their series last night with a big, double OT win.

Feryk
21st May 13, 02:35 PM
Been in Jasper the last four days with no tv. Haven't kept up. I'll get updated and be able to have a conversation tomorrow.

OZZ
28th May 13, 07:17 PM
I SO hope Chicago completes the comeback and eliminates Detroit in Game seven.
Fuck the Red Wings.

Feryk
29th May 13, 01:48 PM
That would be sweet as hell. I know Detroit needs something to cheer about, but honestly, the Blackhawks have been the best team in the west all year.

OZZ
29th May 13, 08:18 PM
Tortorella got canned today..
He is a great coach, but didn't really have the type of players that could adapt to his defense-first philosophy.
The more I watch him play in big games, the more convinced I am that Johnny Quick is the best goalie in the NHL right now.

Feryk
30th May 13, 09:12 AM
Apparently the media and the PR department of the Rangers are both relieved. The guy is a giant asshat, according to our media people here.

OZZ
30th May 13, 07:20 PM
He doesn't like the media and makes no effort to pretend otherwise.
Tortorella also hates stupid, repetitive questions night in and night out, which unfortunately goes hand in hand with being a coach in professional sports.
He also benched a player making $6.5 million for Games Four and Five of the playoffs.
That will not fly with management...no matter what your coaching style.

Anyways..
Chicago and LA should be a great series.

OZZ
9th June 13, 10:35 AM
Chicago - Boston Final ??!!
Should be a great series. Original 6 matchup..

Feryk
11th June 13, 11:58 AM
It will be great.

On my team, we've fired our 5th coach in six years. Fan-fucking tastic.

They've hired the former coach of the Toronto Marlies. Hopefully he has something to offer.

I thought Krueger (former coach) was an outstanding coach. He just had kids who didn't understand his system. Yet.

First of many changes for the Oilers.

OZZ
11th June 13, 04:53 PM
Dallas Eakins has done well at the AHL level..hopefully that will continue for him with a young Oilers club.
I hear Yakupov could be on the move for a D-Man or top pick.

This will be the first Original 6 matchup for the Stanley Cup since the 70's when it was Montreal VS Boston.

Feryk
12th June 13, 04:28 PM
People are sniffing around Yakupov, but I think they want to move Hemsky and Horcoff before anyone else.

Smitty will still be an Oiler. I expect he'll finish the season and end up as a scout or something.

I know they've turned down offers for Gagner. I could see Smid or really any of the defense moving, and Khabibulin will retire (I hope).

OZZ
24th June 13, 11:50 AM
Chicago has Boston on the ropes. With Bergeron out, Horton injured and Jagr and Marchand snake-bitten it could be all over for the B's tonight.
I actually thought the Bruins would win this series.
Maybe not.
Leafs traded for Jonathan Bernier this morning..
Subban gets the Norris Trophy ???
I don't know if I agree with that.

OZZ
26th June 13, 08:36 PM
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=426278#YourCallTop

Good riddance !!

Feryk
27th June 13, 03:41 PM
How bad do you have to be to get paid 20Million to NOT play?

Bryzgalov bad. Le Cavalier bad. BAD.

Oh, and thank you very fucking much. Rich Winter was on our local radio station yesterday saying that Ilya would very much like to be an Oiler. 'It's not a financial decision, it's a hockey decision'.

God I hope they don't sign him.

OZZ
6th July 13, 09:31 AM
http://ca.news.yahoo.com/video/alfredsson-leaves-ottawa-023000492.html

This caught me off guard..hard to picture Alfie playing anywhere else.

OZZ
9th July 13, 04:10 PM
Fred Shero finally gets his due and is inducted into the Hockey Hall of Fame, along with Chelios, Niedermayer and Shannahan.
http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/chelios-niedermayer-shanahan-elected-hockey-hall-fame-shero-192146688.html

Fred Shero was continually snubbed by the Hall for decades despite winning two Stanley Cups as coach of the infamous ' Broad Street Bullies' Philadelphia Flyers 1974-75 and 75-76 championship teams. This is probably because many old-timers blame him for the smashmouth style that defined the 1970's NHL - which some believe to be a permanent stain upon the game of hockey.
Pat Burns was passed over this year , as only one builder/coach can be inducted per annum. So there will undoubtedly be some controversy over the selection of Shero over Burns.

Feryk
9th July 13, 05:39 PM
It was a good group this year - and Shero deserved it.

Burnsie is gone and buried. There is no rush to induct him.

NoBowie
10th July 13, 04:03 PM
http://i1143.photobucket.com/albums/n624/Egg_NoB/hockey_zps045cbdcd.jpg

OZZ
10th July 13, 07:13 PM
* hanging head in shame *

OZZ
14th July 13, 05:41 PM
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=427710

Unfortunate to see a great young prospect like this getting stuck in the desert.
I've watched Max play for the London Knights for the past few seasons and from what I understand he is ready to take the next step up and hit the ice for the Coyotes farm club; he likely won't be returning to the OHL. I think he will be NHL-ready within two years at the maximum.
Good luck Max !

NoBowie
9th August 13, 04:08 PM
Stanley Cup Champion Boston Bruins bar tab:

http://imgur.com/F99iL3q.jpg

Feryk
15th August 13, 10:26 AM
That doesn't include the hookers, does it?

Feryk
15th August 13, 10:27 AM
And WTF is 'ACE Midas'. It cost $100K of that bill.

OZZ
15th August 13, 08:28 PM
I was wondering about that too..
It seems excessive, but if you won the Stanley Cup wouldn't you go all out ?
Remember that players make only a fraction of the money for playoffs in comparison to their regular season salaries.
BUT
There are performance bonuses in their contracts as well, winning the Cup is undoubtedly a nice extra sum - even for the fourth-liners.

Feryk
15th August 13, 11:33 PM
Apparently its a 30 litre bottle of champagne.