PDA

View Full Version : UK threatens to contravene Vienna Convention....

Dr. Socially Liberal Fiscally Conservative Vermin
16th August 12, 09:31 AM
Ecuador's minister for foreign affairs, Ricardo Patino, released details of a letter he said was delivered through a British embassy official in the capital of the South American country, Quito.

The letter said: "You need to be aware that there is a legal base in the UK, the Diplomatic and Consular Premises Act 1987, that would allow us to take actions in order to arrest Mr Assange in the current premises of the Embassy. We sincerely hope that we do not reach that point, but if you are not capable of resolving this matter of Mr Assange's presence in your premises, this is an open option for us."

The dramatic development came two months after Mr Assange suddenly walked into the embassy in a bid to avoid being extradited to Sweden, where he faces allegations of sexual assault.

Mr Patino said the decision on whether Ecuador would grant Mr Assange political asylum would be announced soon.

The Foreign Office says the 1987 law permits the revocation of diplomatic status of a building if the foreign power occupying it "ceases to use land for the purposes of its mission or exclusively for the purposes of a consular post". Under international law, diplomatic posts are considered the territory of the foreign nation.

Mr Patino said: "Ecuador, as a state that respects rights and justice and is a democratic and peaceful nation state, rejects in the strongest possible terms the explicit threat of the British official communication... This is unbecoming of a democratic, civilised and law-abiding state. If this conduct persists, Ecuador will take appropriate responses in accordance with international law."

An Ecuadorian government spokesman said: "We are deeply shocked by the British government's threats against the sovereignty of the Ecuadorian Embassy and their suggestion that they may forcibly enter the embassy. This a clear breach of international law and the protocols set out in the Vienna Convention."

Yahoo article (http://uk.news.yahoo.com/govt-threat-arrest-assange-215404352.html)

So will the US pile on the appropriate pressure for a storming of the embassy?

Do you think the Swedish allegations are just a ruse to have Assange deported to the US?

Do you care?

Cullion
16th August 12, 09:35 AM
I think they're definitely a ruse to deport him to the US and the US Federal government has turned into a dangerous mad dog national-security state.

AAAAAA
16th August 12, 09:54 AM
I find this pretense of playing by the rules quite sad. "We have a law that allows us to storm your embassy to capture a dangerous non-consensual sex suspect and send it to Sweden! Afterwards it's not our business anymore"

I thought that political asylum would be compulsory for somebody who risks death penalty, currently in a country that has no such penalty. This includes Sweden but they are even more US bitches than the UK.

Lollius Urbicus
16th August 12, 02:41 PM
Who are we hiring for the foreign office nowadays?

Honestly, what did they expect when they handed over a note saying "Hi, were not threatening you, but if you don't hand him over we will come into your embassy and get him ourselves".

Utterly ridiculous.

Feryk
16th August 12, 03:23 PM
If I were Equador, I'd fill the embassy full of 'consular officials' who happened to bring very large, very heavy diplomatic pouches with them.

If Scotland Yard tries to invade, blow the shit out of them.

Lollius Urbicus
16th August 12, 03:58 PM
The Ecuadorian's don't have to declare war or booby trap the place. All they have to do is put him in a air holed box with the words 'diplomatic bag' and the the Ecuadorian emblem sprayed all over it.

In fact, there's an even easier route, they award him Ecuadorian citizenship, then make him an official at the embassy and he can just walz out under diplomatic papers and PC plod can't touch him.

Harpy
16th August 12, 06:31 PM
Trumped up charges, the UK bending over for the Americans, definitely got their priorities ass backwards.

I hope Assange can somehow put to rest those Swedish allegations but in the main stay out of the clutches of the bogeymen.

resolve
16th August 12, 07:02 PM
Scary.

Feryk
17th August 12, 11:23 AM
That's something that Obama should answer for. He's all about 'Yes We Can' and the prinicples of fairness and freedom for all -- but his administration is railroading Assange bigtime.

Cullion
17th August 12, 04:20 PM
I honestly don't think stuff like this is under Obama's control.

resolve
17th August 12, 04:24 PM
I don't think Obama has much control over anything, to be completely honest.

Feryk
20th August 12, 10:43 AM
Obama could, if he so chose, act unilaterally. He's been consolidating power in the executive branch since he took over.

All he would have to do is demand that the FBI, NSA, and CIA make all documents related to Assange public. The ensuing outcry about 'top secret' clearance etc. would create enough havoc that British parliamentarians would lose their stomach for this shit pretty quickly.

Spade: The Real Snake
20th August 12, 11:01 AM
Obama cannot and will not.

Were he to order DOJ/DHS/NSA/FBI to release any documents on Assange while claiming executive priviledge concerning the numerous documents regarding death of one of his own ICE agents.......