PDA

View Full Version : Gary 'The Weasel ' Sets Sept. 15th Deadline For NHL Lockout

OZZ
10th August 12, 01:32 PM
Fucking Gary..
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=402741

Feryk
13th August 12, 02:52 PM
Fucking awesome.:( It'll be a strike, just watch and see.

I was hoping the Oilers would finally have something to cheer for this year.

OZZ
13th August 12, 03:43 PM
I'm actually optimistic this time and I think a lockout/strike will be avoided.

OZZ
23rd August 12, 11:35 AM
The clock is ticking..

So the way I understand all this ' rich vs. richer economics ' BS is this:
As it stands - the players' salaries are comprised of up to a maximum of 57% of the entire league revenue.
The owners want this reduced to 43% and are grumbling about revenue sharing to support shitty franchises like Phoenix who have no fans.
They also claim to be desirous of an end to front-loaded long-term contracts. But if this is the case, it seems strange to me that so many teams have been scrambling to lock players up to these very same contracts in the last few weeks.
The players , naturally, want an increase, or certainly no decrease, in the percentage of revenue they are entitled to.
Am I missing something ?
Isn't capitalism all about hiring people to work for you for a set amount of money ? Why should the NHL's gross revenue have a bearing on the players' already enormous salaries ?
I own a business, I pay you to work for me - if you attain or exceed certain performance bonuses as per your contract - you get a bonus.
Isn't that sufficient ?
Apple employees, in the main, don't get extra money because Apple is kicking ass on the world market. They get what they are entitled to according to their contracts. Executives will get bonuses based on profit, but the average joe working for Apple doesn't.
Are all NHL players now considered mid-level executives ?
I am fully aware that the NHL owners cashed in for many years, and it took a court order just to get them to open their books to the players during negotiations about a decade ago when most of the labor strife began. I know the owners are tightwads ..but I think they have ponied up a fair bit of cash over the past few years.
Is it the players who are being greedy this time ?
Help me understand this feryk, you know a lot about money.
Enlighten me.

Spade: The Real Snake
23rd August 12, 12:37 PM
http://www.sportmapworld.com/map/ice-hockey/north-america/nhl/

By my count there are only 7 CNUX NHL teams, which quite simply means the NHL needs the USA.

Feryk
23rd August 12, 02:35 PM
Both sides are being greedy.

What the players want is more flexibility in the way they get paid, and are looking to keep the avenues to get around the current cap that their agents have already established. They want more control of where they play and want changes to free agency (all of this is based on some radio chatter I've been listening to). The players believe the owners are making serious bank off them, and they are losing control over their own futures.

The owners, OTOH, have watched their costs increase dramatically (leases have increased, operating costs have all increased) and they are not able to raise ticket prices fast enough to compensate (so they say). Obviously, the biggest cost to a team is their salaries. The owners want to shut a number of loopholes that have emerged since the last CBA (10+ year contracts that are back ended).

The fans are getting fucked both ways, and neither side seems to give a shit about the people who pay to watch this shit. The problem the NHL has is that in most of it's markets it is LUCKY to be considered the 4th major sport (behind football, baseball and basketball). The fans in most of the US markets ARE fickle, and will find better things to do. A lockout will hurt Canadian fans the most because here it's the #1 sport.

We will forgive and forget when it's settled, though. A Philly fan might not. He can watch the Eagles, the 76'ers or the Phillies. Lots of other places for his dollar to go.

Feryk
23rd August 12, 02:36 PM
http://www.sportmapworld.com/map/ice-hockey/north-america/nhl/

By my count there are only 7 CNUX NHL teams, which quite simply means the NHL needs the USA. They always have. 4 of the Original Six were American.

OZZ
23rd August 12, 03:41 PM
Well, I, for one, am getting fed up.
I know a lot of lifelong hockey fans that feel the same way and don't like the way things are going , both on the ice and off of it.
But, like most Canadians, I'm sure I will forgive, forget - and tune in as soon as the puck drops.
And yes, Snake, the NHL needs the USA - but that doesn't mean the NHL needs a franchise in Phoenix, Arizona.

23rd August 12, 05:12 PM
The CNUX need somewhere to golf

Feryk
24th August 12, 12:43 AM
Hey, you guys keep paying out $14M/year, we'll show up and golf.

Feryk
28th August 12, 02:22 PM
Well, they are meeting again today. Who knows, maybe they'll agree on a lunch menu this time.

OZZ
28th August 12, 03:23 PM
Its not looking good...
I have a suspicion the players are taking the angle that, if it comes down to it, they hold out up until the approach of the Winter Classic ( a huge money-maker and PR event for the league) and they will get a better deal because the league will cave in the face of losing out on the anticipated revenue.

28th August 12, 03:27 PM
All the lockout loans will go unpaid and crash the Canucklestanian economy

Feryk
29th August 12, 11:43 AM
Sorry, you aren't getting out of your agreement with the league that easily. They will settle this asap because of the winter classic, and also because they want to keep screwing Glendale(?) That's where the arena is, isn't it?

29th August 12, 12:04 PM
Yep
It's in Glendale

OZZ
29th August 12, 12:32 PM
Yep
It's in Glendale

btw - how does it feel to have your tax dollars going to a team nobody gives a shit about and is destined to pack up and move eventually ?

29th August 12, 02:20 PM
I don't pay shit.
I don't live in Glendale.

Feryk
29th August 12, 05:04 PM
They oughtta give the people of Glendale free seasons tickets. At least they should get something for the ass fucking they have received.

29th August 12, 05:06 PM
If you do that, Bidwell will join the soupline.

OZZ
10th September 12, 11:18 AM
http://i1108.photobucket.com/albums/h407/shortfistfighter/Montoya-2012-1.jpg

Jets goalie has a new helmet..looks pretty cool.
Too bad he likely won't get to use it until after X-Mas.

10th September 12, 11:23 AM
Harkening back to the Glory Days of Canada's Air Force, no doubt

Feryk
10th September 12, 11:25 AM
Well, the whole Jets theme brings back the Avro Arrow to a bunch of people.

Hell, there's a general right now advocating getting rid of the F-35s and building the Arrow again with upgraded equipment, etc.

OZZ
10th September 12, 12:03 PM
Well, the whole Jets theme brings back the Avro Arrow to a bunch of people.

Hell, there's a general right now advocating getting rid of the F-35s and building the Arrow again with upgraded equipment, etc.

Its too late...
If we had built it then, we could be at the forefront of jet fighter design/technology right now on the world stage.
Canada ain't got that kinda money to throw around now.

10th September 12, 12:13 PM
Its too late...
If we had built it then, we could be at the forefront of jet fighter design/technology right now on the world stage.
Canada ain't got that kinda money to throw around now.
SIG WORTHY

Feryk
10th September 12, 12:33 PM
According to the radio interview I heard on the way in this AM, the basic design of the Arrow could be upgraded with new materials, etc.

He was clear this would be a Non Stealth FIGHTER, NOT an Air to Ground attack vehicle.

According to him, the Arrow (back in 1959) is faster and can fly higher than the F-35 without afterburners.

He's asking for the government to commission a feasability study to see if it's worth it to develop them specifically for homeland defense, keeping the F-35s for NATO joint efforts.

I think he's a loon, but it's out there.

OZZ
10th September 12, 12:36 PM
SIG WORTHY

Shhh..that's just between us, 'kay. *sly wink*

OZZ
10th September 12, 12:38 PM
According to the radio interview I heard on the way in this AM, the basic design of the Arrow could be upgraded with new materials, etc.

He was clear this would be a Non Stealth FIGHTER, NOT an Air to Ground attack vehicle.

According to him, the Arrow (back in 1959) is faster and can fly higher than the F-35 without afterburners.

He's asking for the government to commission a feasability study to see if it's worth it to develop them specifically for homeland defense, keeping the F-35s for NATO joint efforts.

I think he's a loon, but it's out there.

Maybe if he can get the private sector to invest..
It would be cool.
The Avro Arrow was a terrible missed opportunity and part of the reason I will always hate the Conservatives.

Feryk
10th September 12, 12:38 PM
^^^ missing the point of the SIG.

OZZ
10th September 12, 12:44 PM
^^^ missing the point of the SIG.

A public admission that Canada isn't a big spender ?
What did I miss now ?

Feryk
10th September 12, 12:46 PM
No, I mean the 'it's just between us' is kind of opposite to crediting someone in your signature. The actual content is fine.

OZZ
11th September 12, 10:47 AM
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=404969

The latest tactic..
Things don't look good.
I guess the NFL moves up the priority list until X-Mas.

NoBowie
12th September 12, 09:21 PM
http://i1143.photobucket.com/albums/n624/Egg_NoB/bTCt7.gif

OZZ
13th September 12, 06:55 AM
A Lockout is a virtual certainty at this point.

TSN has been re broadcasting the 1987 Canada Cup in Hi Def the last two nights, Game 3 is tonight. Quite possibly the best series of games ever played in a Soviet Union - Canada match-up.
The USSR's KLM line vs. Mario, Gretzky etc.
re watching the series has reminded me of what a great game hockey was to watch in the 80's before the expansion.
I am also realizing how well Dougie Gilmour actually played on that team. Mario and Wayne get all the accolades, and deservedly so. Wayne Gretzky played what he has referred to as ' his best game ever ' in Game 2 and Lemieux was right up there with him in points. But Gilmour stands out as one of the better players for Canada in that series too...he scored a couple of goals and was backchecking hard every shift against a Soviet team that was incredible at moving the puck around.

KO'd N DOA
14th September 12, 03:55 PM
Can't lock out the Habs cuz union laws in the Kingdom of Quebec.

But they will have no other team to play with. If I were Jeff Molson, I would have them working with the brew masters in the lab to come up with a new line of tap for the fans. Prohibition didn't exist here, neither does lock out.

14th September 12, 05:03 PM
Like every other Canucklestanian, they can play with themselves

OZZ
16th September 12, 09:58 AM
Well...this sucks.
The last CBA negotiation was supposed to deal with this shit once and for all, and here we are again.

A lot of Euro players have bolted for the KHL, young guys have been assigned to junior affiliates.
Philly sent both Brayden Schenn and Sean Couturier down the the Phantoms.
Couturier must be the best Arizona-born player in the NHL..I didn't realize he was from the desert.
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/teams/players/bio/?id=8596

KO'd N DOA
16th September 12, 10:17 AM
This does suck. The injunction for the Habs was denied. http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/story/2012/09/14/nhl-players-quebec-canadiens-labour-board-lock-out.html
Gary says he is not subject to the laws of Quebec. Could he be more stupid. He doesn't get how union happy and anti american insain Quebec is. He may have to grants the New Nordiques, he might get a pass, but he should shut his pie hole because Quebec does not like being told by anyone what the limits of power and jurisdiction are.

The commission looking into the legality of the lock out will proceed.

OZZ
16th September 12, 06:17 PM
In other hockey-related news - a hot dog was sold at Joe Louis Arena and the NHLPA wants 3/10 of the sale price given to them as their share of the revenue.

OZZ
17th September 12, 09:47 AM
http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/nhl-nhlpa-release-touching-statements-duel-fan-empathy-175319800--nhl.html

The PR battle begins.

Feryk
17th September 12, 10:58 AM
I'm thinking that the players are going to have to give up some revenue, but they do have a point. The owners basically destroyed the union last time, and wrote the agreement themselves. Now they don't like it, and can't seem to be profitable with it -- even though league revenues have grown substantially.

Bettman's career will be shortlived once this is resolved.

KO'd N DOA
17th September 12, 11:09 AM
http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/nhl-nhlpa-release-touching-statements-duel-fan-empathy-175319800--nhl.html

The PR battle begins.

So the gloves come off now.

I'm thinking of starting to watch that other game-a-migigger, with that dalmation type ball and the manicured guys diving to the ground every chance they get.

Feryk
17th September 12, 11:14 AM
I think I'm going to start watching some NBA.

Oh, who am I kidding?

OZZ
17th September 12, 12:52 PM
I wish I could get a KHL package through my cable provider..I'd just watch that.

Bettman's career will be shortlived once this is resolved.

One can only hope.

KO'd N DOA
18th September 12, 09:34 AM
The Habs and some hanger on Quebecers have been playing pick up hockey at the practice rink. The love of the game they call it.

Feryk
19th September 12, 04:51 PM
We sent our flock of young guns to OK City. They will crush all who stand before them.

19th September 12, 04:55 PM
Hockey fears success.

You faggots FINNALY get a PrimeTime Stanley Cup Champ (Anaheim Duck Fuckers don't count) and you shitlapping morons just can't help but fuck that all up.

Feryk
19th September 12, 04:56 PM
^ TRUTH ^

OZZ
19th September 12, 06:40 PM
All pre-season games were officially cancelled today and Ovechkin signed with Moscow Dynamo.
I need to get my OHL tickets..fuck, I still haven't done that.

OZZ
19th September 12, 06:47 PM
Here's a good article :
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=405623

Feryk
20th September 12, 11:58 AM
Very good nutshell of the situation. Which puts Bettman at the forefront of the problem. Phoenix is still in Phoenix because of Bettman - and it's costing everyone millions for his hubris.

He was the champion of expansion, and he clearly hates to move franchises unless there is no other choice. My guess is that after he leaves, the new guy will do what he has to and get Phoenix relocated (Hamilton?). After that, perhaps Quebec City will get a franchise back.

20th September 12, 12:00 PM
OOOOOH!!!!
I can play in PHOENIX or I can play in HALIFAX?????

NOVER SKOOTCHER HERE I COME!!!!

Feryk
20th September 12, 12:04 PM
Players seemed very happy to relocate from Atlanta to Winnepeg last year. Just sayin.

20th September 12, 12:18 PM
I can see why..... (http://jets.nhl.com/club/roster.htm)

KO'd N DOA
20th September 12, 12:58 PM
That roster looks like the CFL teams, but reversed.

20th September 12, 01:34 PM
I guess when you are a Czech, even Canucklestan looks like heaven

OZZ
21st September 12, 09:31 AM
Players seemed very happy to relocate from Atlanta to Winnepeg last year. Just sayin.

Moving from an American city with one of the highest crime rates to a Canadian city with one of the highest crime rates = no brainer.

21st September 12, 10:35 AM
Because Canucklestanians are racists and hate black people.

KO'd N DOA
21st September 12, 11:24 AM

That underground railroad was to Canada to collect our maple syrup for us.

Feryk
21st September 12, 01:43 PM

No we don't. We're racists and hate Native people.

OZZ
27th September 12, 03:35 PM
http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/news/bettman-mayor-try-calm-oiler-194510792--nhl.html

Feryk ?

OZZ
28th September 12, 08:57 AM
http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/wayne-gretzky-escaped-blame-over-daryl-katz-adventure-130610634--nhl.html

The Great One betraying Edmonton ???

Feryk
1st October 12, 05:15 PM
That's Puck Daddy trying to stir shit so people read their blog.

Gretzky is not a factor in the ongoing arena drama that has enveloped this town.

Katz is trying to play hardball - and use the 'we can move' card.

City Council is playing the 'holy fuck this is too much money!' card.

They will build this '$450 Million Arena Complex'. It will be for $750 million by the time it's done. The city will pony up a metric fuck ton of cash - and charge the Oilers $0 rent, arguing they can make it up by increasing the taxes on every business within 40 blocks of the fucking place due to 'increased revenue' models because the Oilers are there.

Katz will develop the Arena + 4 office towers, generate almost all of the revenue, and complain that it's still not enough.

In the meantime, we have a great young team that is not playing. Fucking awesome.

1st October 12, 05:25 PM
Gretzky got spoiled living in Arizona, home of the 4-0 Cardinals.

Feryk
17th October 12, 11:19 AM
Can you believe we might actually see hockey some time soon?

I'm shocked.

OZZ
17th October 12, 07:31 PM
A 50 - 50 split on the revenue is exactly what a lot of bloggers and sports personalities have been predicting from the outset of this bullshit.
Gary actually blinked first, for once.
From what I understand, the board of governors was really putting pressure on him to get a deal done this time.
They didn't want to lose the season, and were concerned about the bad PR as well.
We will see NHL hockey by early November now.

Feryk
18th October 12, 09:20 AM
That's awesome. And Gary should just retire.

18th October 12, 11:17 AM
Sprunch Spray ur mullets and acid wash ur denim, bitchez. Hockey Hair and Canucklestanian Tuxedos are back in play.

OZZ
26th October 12, 07:30 PM
All of November's games are officially cancelled.
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=408188

Feryk
29th October 12, 04:51 PM
Well, this has gone off the rails. I wonder how much each side is willing to cost themselves to make a point.

OZZ
29th October 12, 07:43 PM
If the Winter Classic gets cancelled, there will be no season.

29th October 12, 07:58 PM
Hey, you guys always have.....huh....you don't really have anything else going for you up there, do you...

Sent by telekinesis via Cerebro

Feryk
30th October 12, 11:16 AM
Just CFL football.

Yeah, nothing.

OZZ
3rd November 12, 07:32 AM
Winter Classic was cancelled yesterday.
That's all she wrote.
Time to start linking up to the KHL's official YouTube channel.

3rd November 12, 08:09 AM
what's an Ontario Reign?

OZZ
3rd November 12, 08:16 AM
what's an Ontario Reign?

They are an ECHL team.

OZZ
3rd November 12, 08:18 AM
The ECHL is one of the lower-tier pro leagues.
I think they have a team in Vegas. Which is an absolute joke.

3rd November 12, 10:28 AM
that's why I was asking. Vegas has had at least a half-dozen minor league hockey teams over the years.
I went to a few Las Vegas Thunder games and a few Phoenix Roadrunner games over the year.
I remember seeing Bonk play for the Thunder and Leveque play for the 'Runners. I recalled hearing Gretzky's brothers and Petr Nedved played for them.

OZZ
24th November 12, 01:00 PM
All-Star Game cancelled, all of December now cancelled.
This season is definitely done now.
The All-Star game sucks anyways..but it is a big weekend for the owners and big PR for the league.
I think this past week of negotiations was the last possible chance to salvage something for this season.
THE END.

Let's get the WJHC started !

24th November 12, 07:21 PM
Maybe the hockey players can go bake some Ding-Dongs

OZZ
25th November 12, 04:04 PM
Oh well, since there's no hockey it will give me more time to play with my Ding-Dong.

OZZ
31st December 12, 01:23 PM
Movement ??

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=412474

At this point I don't really care that much, but word is out that there is some room for hope with this latest round of talks.

OZZ
7th January 13, 08:34 PM
Game on.

Feryk
8th January 13, 11:32 AM
Woo.

Hoo.

I'll probably change my mind once they actually start playing, but right now, I just don't care anymore.