PDA

View Full Version : Science education leads to Climate scepticism new study shows

Lollius Urbicus
29th May 12, 11:02 AM
Lazy and elitist lefty assumptions that climate scepticism is due to not enough people understanding the science was subject to an attempt to prop up the stereotype with some 'science' to prove it.

The study backfired massively and hilariously showing that the the more people know about and understood science the more likely they were to be sceptical of global warming alarmism.

http://www.nature.com/nclimate/journal/vaop/ncurrent/images/nclimate1547-f1.jpg

The study put this down to a difference between 'hierarchical individualists' and 'egalitarian communitarians' more usually known as right and left wingers in English.

They also discovered that if you're an egalitarian communitarian then an increase in scientific knowledge leads only to a very slight increase in belief in climate alarmism. Whereas if you're a hierarchical individualist then increased scientific knowledge increases your disbelief in climate alarmism.

http://www.nature.com/nclimate/journal/vaop/ncurrent/images/nclimate1547-f2.jpg

What do they recommend you do to overcome the problem of greater scientific knowledge leading to increased rejection of climate alarmism....

You guessed it. Propaganda and brain washing.

Effective strategies include use of culturally diverse communicators, whose affinity with different communities enhances their credibility, and information-framing techniques that invest policy solutions with resonances congenial to diverse groups. Perfecting such techniques through a new science of science communication is a public good of singular importance.

http://www.nature.com/nclimate/journal/vaop/ncurrent/full/nclimate1547.html#/f1

(http://www.nature.com/nclimate/journal/vaop/ncurrent/full/nclimate1547.html#/f1)Once again the green movement reveals itself to be nothing about science or saving the planet, but all about using it as a cover for imposing authoritarian collectivism on the world.

The authors unwittingly reveal themselves and their co-conspirators for what they are: Watermelons - green on the outside, red on the inside.

resolve
29th May 12, 11:20 AM
Ughhh

Dr. Socially Liberal Fiscally Conservative Vermin
29th May 12, 11:28 AM
I'm gonna be an 'egalitarian individualist' when I grow up.

Feryk
29th May 12, 01:20 PM
This is totally hilarious.

Haven't heard much on the Global Warming front lately. I'm guessing people worried about their jobs and lifestyle don't really care as much these days.

Lollius Urbicus
29th May 12, 01:30 PM
This is totally hilarious.

The funniest bits are the people behind it trying to rationalise their findings away to preserve their world view.

Haven't heard much on the Global Warming front lately. I'm guessing people worried about their jobs and lifestyle don't really care as much these days.
I think that's definitely a factor, I also think that catastrophe fatigue has set in. People have been told so many times that everywhere is going to be underwater/ a desert in 5 years time and when that 5 years rolls around and everything is still the same as it was 5 years ago people just stop listening.

Madgrenade
30th May 12, 09:42 AM
Its not carbon dioxide thats killing the bees!

Its has been linked to Monsantos genetically modified maize with built in pesticides. Banned in Poland, these products are widespread in the USA and Americans efforts to control the spread of these new, largely untested and poorly understood sciences have been met with fierce federal resistance.

This is another example of how this establishment climate change agenda is killing the planet, by stifling development and debate regarding the true environmental crises that confront us. Industrial pollutants have a far more damaging effect on cells, DNA and a species ability to effieciently reproduce. And while we have been hearing a lot about CO2 there has been very little noise about the clean up of actual pollution, which I define as harmful molecules not normally occuring in nature created by industry. And also harmful isotopes concentrated in quantities never normally occuring in nature ie nulear waste.

Fans of pissing their pants over seasonal meltwater should note the following.

Fukishima. Nuclear plant badly damaged. Still spewing radiation. Potential for a disaterous collapse of fuel storage tank 4 causing massive worldwide fallout, the death of Japan.

Why arent environmentalists pissing themselves over the used nuclear fuel storage issue?

Because they are owned by the same interests who would suffer reduced profits if forced to live up to their responsibilities and have spent fuel put into dry cask storage as it was supposed to be.

This is a real issue in the US where reactors near major cities are filling up with nuclear waste, virtually NONE of which has EVER been placed into dry cask concrete storage. Hey maybe the Iranians could help you. I hear they have developed the hardest concrete in the world.

The issues of nuclear storage and coporate monopoly on food, reducing diversity and using pesticides shown to be adverse to the entire biosphere are two examples of real environmental issues that gain very little mainstream traction. Both having real power to cause irreversible and lasting damage to our biosphere, not to mention the legacy of our generation.

So yes global warming alarmism is a fraud. But it doesn't change the fact that there are real environmental threats the world needs to act together to deal with, but all the morons that be want is to levy a tax on carbon dioxide, not on real pollutants that nature is unequipped to handle and which are causing severe biospherical damage.

Basically the man who is pissing on your face wants you to pay to clean it up.

And then he doesn't even clean it. He goes and gets a beer so he can sooner piss on you all over again.

Feryk
30th May 12, 11:01 AM
^^ SPOT THE LOONEY ^^

Cullion
30th May 12, 06:10 PM
I think that's definitely a factor, I also think that catastrophe fatigue has set in. People have been told so many times that everywhere is going to be underwater/ a desert in 5 years time and when that 5 years rolls around and everything is still the same as it was 5 years ago people just stop listening.

They're sketchy on the names, dates and details, but things like climategate and Peter Gleick's 'defrocking' have trickled out into general discourse and there's a growing general awareness amongst people who don't follow this too closely that scientific authority figures on the AGW side of the debate have been caught red-handed making things up several times over the last few years.

Syntactical Disruptorize
30th May 12, 09:31 PM
Fukishima. Nuclear plant badly damaged. Still spewing radiation. Potential for a disaterous collapse of fuel storage tank 4 causing massive worldwide fallout, the death of Japan.

Why arent environmentalists pissing themselves over the used nuclear fuel storage issue?
One of these things is not like the other.

Because they are owned by the same interests who would suffer reduced profits if forced to live up to their responsibilities and have spent fuel put into dry cask storage as it was supposed to be.
Can you prove any of that?

Sent from my Tricorder

Syntactical Disruptorize
30th May 12, 11:14 PM
As for the article's conclusions about how to sell people on bullshit, there is only one thing to say, and Richard Feynman said it:

b240PGCMwV0

Sent from my Tricorder

jubei33
30th May 12, 11:27 PM
there is only one thing to say, and Richard Feynman said it:

Needs more T and A?

Syntactical Disruptorize
30th May 12, 11:40 PM
Needs more T and A?Embedded the video in my post. (Apparently posting from my Kindle Fire is not great.) But good thought!

Feryk
31st May 12, 12:57 PM
Religion is hard for people who are unable to suspend disbelief.