PDA

View Full Version : waterproof gear for commuting

jubei33
27th March 12, 03:23 AM
Hey, maybe one of you guys can help me out. I'm going to be commuting by bicycle to work and school soon. So I need some water proof gear---

1. pour les chose: I need some decent gear to keep my papers and shit dry when it rains. This means some kind of backpack big enough to hold a laptop and a few notebooks and maybe a pile grading of two. and a lunch.

2. pour les corps: Then there's the body. We get wet snow in the winter, so something that can go over a warm jacket would be nice. As well as pants. gloves?

Any suggestions?

Pie of Hate
27th March 12, 03:48 AM
This could be just what you're looking for.

jubei33
27th March 12, 04:08 AM
dude: that would be fucking awesome! I could ride by and alternatively spray people with spores or cut them down with a light saber.

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
27th March 12, 04:13 AM
http://www.tourmaster.com/
made for motorcycles, but astoundingly waterproof. Keeps my underlayers bone dry even when it's dripping wet. Also has vents to help you stay cool. The same tech fabrics are presumably available for bicycle-ready clothing, I'd look into it.

jubei33
27th March 12, 04:21 AM
yeah, this look like it would work. pockets have good placement, at any rate.

Pie of Hate
27th March 12, 04:21 AM
dude: that would be fucking awesome! I could ride by and alternatively spray people with spores or cut them down with a light saber.

Just doing my bit to help you live the dream.

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
27th March 12, 05:01 AM
yeah, this look like it would work. pockets have good placement, at any rate.
for what its worth you can probably find them around ebay, craigslist, and marketplaces on motorcycle forums. maybe a bicycle forum.

billy sol hurok
27th March 12, 07:01 AM
Presumably there'd be differences between gear designed for motorcycling (sitting on your ass, not much physical exertion so not as much sweating, not so much range of motion necessary, weight not as critical) and that for bicycling.

Gore-tex (and its knockoffs) tend rule the world of sporting gear that's supposed to keep you dry. With appropriate wicking underlayers, as necessary.

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
27th March 12, 07:12 AM
not much physical exertion so not as much sweating, not so much range of motion necessary

lulz

jubei33
27th March 12, 08:04 AM
Presumably there'd be differences between gear designed for motorcycling (sitting on your ass, not much physical exertion so not as much sweating, not so much range of motion necessary, weight not as critical) and that for bicycling.

Gore-tex (and its knockoffs) tend rule the world of sporting gear that's supposed to keep you dry. With appropriate wicking underlayers, as necessary.

Yeah, I thought about that problem a lot, because I am a massive sweater when I exercise. So, I came to a solution: don't wear anything under the rain suit.

what? I'll just say it was laundry day.

I'll check out the gore-tex stuff. It might be too pricey, though. Can you recommend any good companies?

resolve
27th March 12, 08:18 AM
Under Armour sells a few lines of clothing with "wicking" technology that supposedly wicks sweat away from your body to keep you dry.

billy sol hurok
27th March 12, 08:37 AM
You actually do want something under it to wick the moisture away from your skin asap.

Gore-tex is costly, but lasts well. I have a generic baseball-type jacket bought from Eddie Bauer nearly 20 years ago, and use it all the time. (Especially handy for travel from cold/snowy to warm/rainy places, as it has a hood that zips into the collar and the whole corporation fits into a stuffsack 2/3 the size of a football. Very light weight too.)

A decent shell is a good investment. Can ask some of my cycling friends about stuff made specifically for that -- though that's likely to be the most expensive route, apart from Patagonia etc.

For shlepping, though, you might want to consider bike panniers or something. Because you WILL have a knapsack-shaped sweat pool on your back when you get where you're going.

Or perhaps some sort of bike messenger bag . . . but you're talking about carrying some actual weight, so I dunno about having that much load decentered.

Back in the day when commuting with some huge-ass books in tow I just bought a mountaineering bag (narrow profile, leather bottom third, drawstring top, big bolshy straps), beefed up the waist belt and arrived sweaty. Fucker was strong enough to use for grocery shopping too. Still have it, but haven't used it in a while.

Spade: The Real Snake
27th March 12, 09:58 AM
spandex banana hammock, Jubei.

throw that shit out there and be a proud and hung gaijin

Angry Mandrill
27th March 12, 12:45 PM
bag - chrome makes big-ass bags with waterproof linings. pricey, but guaranteed forever. i've had mine for a year and it's possibly the best thing i've ever bought. i've had as much as two bjj gis, a denim jacket, a lunch box, a laptop and assorted tools and weapons in it at once. on weekends, i can pack it with ice and beer and hike into the park and it don't never leak.

mine's the one on the left. 140 bucks and worth every penny.

pants and jackets - light plastic things to pull on over your regular gear are best. i use a cheap pair of plastic pants (like 35 bucks at the army-navy store) and a leather motorcycling jacket (also good in crashes for scrapy-protect).

most important to stay dry is a fender like this one:

12 bucks on amazon and it'll keep the water outta your shorts. without it, your plastic pants and waterproof jacket are almost useless.

as for all that wicking shit, wear a frickin' t-shirt to ride in, change into your office shirt at the office.

NoBowie
27th March 12, 12:46 PM
My car has heated seats and rain sensing wipers.

Sometimes, I commute to work in my pajamas and change when I get there.

Angry Mandrill
27th March 12, 12:48 PM
heated seats suck. i always feel like i'm gonna crap myself.

NoBowie
27th March 12, 12:50 PM
heated seats suck. i always feel like i'm gonna crap myself.

LOL. If I am fighting a turtle poking its head out then I don't turn them on.

However, on a cold winter's day they are heaven.

Ajamil
27th March 12, 12:57 PM
Does your work provide showers and lockers?

I always forget heated seats are on, then wonder why the hell my seat feels weird two minutes into the drive.

Pie of Hate
27th March 12, 01:18 PM
First time I encountered heated seats I thought I'd pissed myself. Feeling warmth creeping round the old nether regions is weird.

Sent from my Fembot4000 using Tapatalk

NoBowie
27th March 12, 01:37 PM
First time I encountered heated seats I thought I'd pissed myself. Feeling warmth creeping round the old nether regions is weird.

^ Has never had a warm tongue / someone's hot breath where the sun don't shine.

Pie of Hate
27th March 12, 01:45 PM
^^ Eats da poo poo

NoBowie
27th March 12, 01:46 PM
^^ Eats da poo poo

^ Eats da poo poo of someone who ate the poo poo and then poo poo'ed

Pie of Hate
27th March 12, 02:35 PM
^^ Human Centipede - NoB sequence

NoBowie
27th March 12, 02:38 PM
^^ Human Centipede - NoB sequence

Donkey - Human - Aardvark Centipede. Cake sequence.

Ajamil
27th March 12, 02:40 PM
^Ran out on his "back and forth, forever" partner. And we have a thread for that.

Pie of Hate
27th March 12, 02:44 PM
Donkey - Human - Aardvark - NoB.

Your family tree?

Spade: The Real Snake
27th March 12, 03:04 PM
aardvarks would never regress to NoB form

SoulMechanic
27th March 12, 03:05 PM
Aint no shame in tossing the salad if the woman is clean or your celly has a shiv held firmly to your throat.

NoBowie
27th March 12, 03:05 PM
Your family tree?

No. I am the product of a lesbian relationship. An Immaculate scissor conception.

I was raised in the backstage area of a Spearmint Rhino.

SoulMechanic
27th March 12, 03:08 PM
No wonder NoB is so good at working a pole.

jubei33
27th March 12, 04:57 PM
bag - chrome makes big-ass bags with waterproof linings.

Yeah, this is like what I've been looking for. If it keeps that rain out and lasts for years, then 140$ is probably worth it. Thanks!

NoBowie
27th March 12, 05:00 PM
Yeah, this is like what I've been looking for. If it keeps that rain out and lasts for years, then 140$ is probably worth it. Thanks!

For double that, per month, you can have yourself a fine automobile that keeps you dry, holds more than the bag, can travel further than you on a bicycle, and hold more passengers.

jubei33
27th March 12, 05:07 PM
For double that, per month, you can have yourself a fine automobile that keeps you dry, holds more than the bag, can travel further than you on a bicycle, and hold more passengers.
I already have a car. thx.

NoBowie
27th March 12, 05:11 PM
I already have a car. thx.

When carmageddon comes, don't be surprised when yours comes after you. Such neglect.

This is why I take mine everywhere, even a few blocks, wash it 2 or 3 times a week, and clean the interior at least twice a week.

I only use premium fuel and synthetic oil. I drive wearing gloves so as not to get oils from my skin on the steering wheel.

I also store everything in the trunk instead of messing up the passenger cabin.

I will be one of the cars' chosen slaves instead of biofuel when their revolution comes.

jubei33
27th March 12, 05:17 PM
carmageddon
I went to watch that as a kid:

NoBowie
27th March 12, 05:27 PM
I went to watch that as a kid:

It will be like that, except with no drivers, the whole world will be the arena, and the cars will be putting humans out of commission instead of each other.

It will start with damn hippies making some law requiring electric cars. Oh, the irony! (irony™ by Mole culo 2012. All rights reserved.)