PDA

View Full Version : MPs demand proof that God can't heal

Craigypooh
26th March 12, 09:00 AM
http://www.totalpolitics.com/blog/314662/mps-try-to-overturn-and39god-can-healand39-ad-ban.thtml

tldr:

The advertising standards agency in the UK banned a church group from using leaflets which said "NEED HEALING? GOD CAN HEAL TODAY". On the grounds that it is misleading and could discourage people from seeking essential medical care.

A group of MPs are demanding the ASA provide them with indisputable scientific evidence that God can't heal.

Still tldr
LOL Christians.

Alternative still tldr
The ASA communes with demons.

Pie of Hate
26th March 12, 09:10 AM
God really can't heal. I took him to crufts and he fucked it right up.

ba dum dum tishk

Lollius Urbicus
26th March 12, 10:28 AM
Nadine Dorris didn't sign it? I'm shocked.

Robot Jesus
26th March 12, 02:48 PM
God can heal if you mix him with water and shake it around in a very specific manner- Prince Charles

Lollius Urbicus
26th March 12, 03:07 PM
That was a private, off the record comment he made to his Petunia, you shouldn't take it out of context like that.

Cullion
26th March 12, 03:22 PM
The advertising standards authority should compromise and ask then to add a warning to the leaflet, in the same fashion we mandate warnings on cigarettes:-

"Warning: requires miraculous intervention in the laws of nature".

Feryk
26th March 12, 03:46 PM
At any time, is any one of the people involved on either side of this issue going to realize how ineffably stupid this is?

Cullion
26th March 12, 03:54 PM
At any time, is any one of the people involved on either side of this issue going to realize how ineffably stupid this is?

Do you think anybody at an institution with a name like 'The Advertising Standards Authority' ever steps back and wonders whether their career is meaningful ?

Craigypooh
26th March 12, 04:07 PM
The advertising standards authority should compromise and ask then to add a warning to the leaflet, in the same fashion we mandate warnings on cigarettes:-

"Warning: requires miraculous intervention in the laws of nature".

I'd prefer:

"Warning: you should carry on following your doctor's advice"

Lollius Urbicus
26th March 12, 04:56 PM
I'd prefer:

"Warning: you should carry on following your doctor's advice"
NHS approved medical advice would be to dilute the prayer at 1012 to ensure its full effectiveness.

Ajamil
26th March 12, 11:18 PM
Warning: Believing in God can lead to fanaticism, a leading cause of war, strife and dogmatism.

Krishna says he is the intelligence and the ability in man. I'd say those are two very good places to start looking for God if you wish to seek Him for a cure.

Craigypooh
27th March 12, 03:54 AM
Most Christians believe God is omnipresent - so they should expect to find their God in the intelligence and ability of man too.

resolve
27th March 12, 08:03 AM
Most christians also believe that God has given man the ability to understand the body as well...

A lot of christians are doctors and nurses and medical staff. Some of them even have a real "gift" for it. Not everything has to be God doing something directly. That doesn't mean he doesn't though. But then that's its whole other skeptical argument that's been done up and down and all over the place. Although there have been quite a few that are completely unexplainable (and many humanist and agnostic doctors being astounded) but are usually written off by skeptics as the placebo effect, a quirk of nature, or something else randomly happening in favor of the person at just the right time and thus coincidence.

Craigypooh
11th April 12, 03:48 PM
Although there have been quite a few that are completely unexplainable (and many humanist and agnostic doctors being astounded) but are usually written off by skeptics as the placebo effect, a quirk of nature, or something else randomly happening in favor of the person at just the right time and thus coincidence.

There are 7 billion people in the world, of course some of them experience massively unlikely events - like winning the lottery or spontaneous cancer recovery. It is incredibly naive to dismiss the idea that things can randomly happen that are favourable to people without the intervention of a god.

There are also random unfavourable things that happen - even to good people - is god responsible for these too?

But there are lots of things that don't happen - amputees growing back their limbs?

Cullion
12th April 12, 06:55 AM
Just be patient.

Dr. Socially Liberal Fiscally Conservative Vermin
12th April 12, 07:26 AM
There are also random unfavourable things that happen - even to good people - is god responsible for these too?

This reminded me of somebody I know. He was a devout Catholic all his life, brought all his kids up as Catholics.

When the Tsunami hit the other year and killed loads of people he left the Catholic church as he could no longer accept that their vesrion of GOD (TM RCC) was at all plausable after such a mindless atrocity.

He still believes there is a GOD (TM him) but no longer buys into the dogmatic version of the RCC any more.

Cullion
12th April 12, 07:29 AM
How does his new rationalisation for human suffering differ from the choice offered by centuries of Roman Catholic Christian Philosophy?

12th April 12, 07:44 AM
He no longer thinks GOD (TM him) = LOVE.

His conception is quite Pantheistic although he generally baulks at this suggestion (Catholic programing can be quite deep).

He is still very much into Jesus as a teacher and manifestation of Godhead (TM him) but doesnt think that Jesus = GOD (TM him)

12th April 12, 07:45 AM
Personally I think he's a closet Buddist.

Cullion
12th April 12, 07:51 AM
He no longer thinks GOD (TM him) = LOVE.

I think he was taught Catholic doctrine quite strangely. The God of Thomas Aquinas and Augustine of Hippo was always more than willing to dish out a shitty time to good people.

12th April 12, 08:01 AM
He is very well read, I'm sure none of the apologetics is lost on him.

He just didnt feel that the dogma fitted the crime.

Craigypooh
12th April 12, 08:07 AM
So he never really bought into the whole good people get their reward in heaven thing? Or great suffering brings greater reward?

12th April 12, 10:12 AM
Oh yeah he did, he just doesnt buy into it anymore.

Craigypooh
12th April 12, 10:21 AM
Had the change been building for a while or was it a sudden change of heart?

Because children have been starving in Africa for years and that would seem to me to be a bigger apparent injustice.

12th April 12, 10:51 AM
It was a suprise to his friends and family but I think it was the straw that broke camels back personally.

Adouglasmhor
12th April 12, 05:15 PM
Ex Roman Catholic and Episcopalian Buddhists are a fucking pain in the arse, big style they want ritual instead of self development, they want the comfort of it and not the dukkha.