PDA

View Full Version : rural urban split: am I wrong to see this at the root of everything?

Robot Jesus
22nd February 12, 03:14 PM
at the moment, in another thread, cully is arguing, more or less, that the only path away from serfdom is rural living. Move to the mountains, live off the variety of tubers you can grow in rocky soil, know intimately the genealogy of your neighbours, and attend the most local church possible; that last one more for the tea afterwards then anything said in service.

That life style does not interest me.

I like the bright lights of the city. Yes I don't know my neighbours, I don't care. I like public transit. I like the culture, countless restaurants, the comedy clubs, the philharmonic, and the strippers. I like public transit so I don't have to deal with traffic. I like my apartment, one for being so cheap for the neighbourhood, but also for taking care of all the shit I don't want to.

so to summarize. I live in a collective called a city and I like it. Cullion lives as an individual out in the country and likes it.

My general annoyance politically is that often funds are transfers from successful collectives (calgary, alberta, blue states) to shit holes no one cares about (Rainbow lake, P.E.I., red states) because it's more economical to appease them in time for the next election.

Cullions general annoyance is that successful individuals are taxed to support assholes no one cares about.

I generally like government services and I think you get what you pay for.

Cullion generally distrusts government services and thinks that people are being extorted for shit that don't work.

urban mentality vs rural mentality seems to equal colectavist vs indevidualist.

anyone else see it this way?

Apologies to cullion, I realize I'm painting your ideas with a broad brush, I thought a straw man would be useful for this point, and the scarecrow does look a bit like you.

Feryk
22nd February 12, 03:41 PM
I had a stunning rebuttal to your point, rj, but I got a server error and it erased itself. Will try again later.

Cullion
22nd February 12, 03:53 PM
I like urban culture too, for most of the same reasons you do. I'm simply pointing out that rural people with pre-modern beliefs tend to be the hardest to co-opt into the agenda I believe formed through the 20th century.

Robot Jesus
22nd February 12, 04:51 PM
and all I'm saying is that respect for diversity and government organization may come from living in a diverse community that is largely organized by governing bodies.

Feryk
22nd February 12, 05:25 PM
^^ Communist.

See? Stunning rebuttal.

Lollius Urbicus
22nd February 12, 05:31 PM
I grew up in the countryside and I'm pretty conservative, my dad grew up in an industrial urban city and is more conservative than me. So at what point does family upbringing begin and environment end?

Another factor possible at play is that middle class conservatives tend to flee cities for the country whereas middle class lefties tend to congregate in the cities, in the UK at least.

I like the convenience of a city, but also like the quiet and peace of the countryside.

Also I'm fairly sure Cullion is trolling you guys in the American police state thread.

There's definitely points about civil liberties infringements and collectivist thought pollution to be made. However, I think you're letting the bad stuff that's actually happening in America fuel this tendency towards millenarianism and governmental paranoia that's instilled in Americans as part of their identity formation being based around opposition to government.

Opposition to government isn't a bad thing, its generally a beneficial thing, but it seems to come together with American millenarianism to make people see conspiracy every where even where it isn't.

Feryk
22nd February 12, 05:51 PM
That's what THEY want you to think! Lollius has been turned.

Spade: The Real Snake
22nd February 12, 06:52 PM
RobotJesus is the reason I didn't speak to my neighbors while living in large cities.

Cullion
24th February 12, 06:57 PM
and all I'm saying is that respect for diversity and government organization may come from living in a diverse community that is largely organized by governing bodies.

Maybe your community is largely organized for you by the government, but that would make you a.. a kind of battery hen. Yes. Domesticated.

The rural/urban split you describe is kind of crude, and if it really made sense we'd expect massive tax rates in Hong Kong.

Oh?