PDA

View Full Version : High Pope of Dawinism an "embarrassment to atheism"

Dr. Socially Liberal Fiscally Conservative Vermin
15th February 12, 10:11 AM
Dawkins said an "astonishing number couldn't identify the first book in the New Testament." But his claim that this indicated self-identified Christians were "not really Christian at all" was challenged by Fraser, who said the poll asked "silly little questions" to "trip" people up.
Giles Fraser: Richard, if I said to you what is the full title of 'The Origin Of Species', I'm sure you could tell me that.
Richard Dorkins: Yes I could
Giles Fraser: Go on then.
Richard Dorkins: On The Origin Of Species.. Uh. With, Oh God. On The Origin Of Species. There is a sub title with respect to the preservation of favoured races in the struggle for life.
Giles Fraser: You're the high pope of Darwinism… If you asked people who believed in evolution that question and you came back and said 2% got it right, it would be terribly easy for me to go 'they don't believe it after all.'

Richard Dawkins Clashes With Giles Fraser On Radio 4 Over Atheist Poll (AUDIO) (http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2012/02/14/richard-dawkins-giles-fraser-radio4-athiesm_n_1275468.html?ref=mostpopular)

So come on admit it how many people actually knew the full title with out looking it up?

Lollius Urbicus
15th February 12, 10:51 AM
That was a pretty epic fail.

I knew it was something about natural selection, but had to look it up to find out it was: "On the Origin of Species by Means of Natural Selection, or the Preservation of Favoured Races in the Struggle for Life​"

Feryk
15th February 12, 05:28 PM
This is perhaps the stupidest debating point I have ever heard on the subject.

WHO FUCKING CARES if people can name the first chapter of the New Testament? How many people can name all 50 US States and their capitals? How many Americans know who the Canadian Prime Minister is?

Most people are not able to recall these kind of details because they don't matter in their everyday life.

Does this change the essential point of the argument? ie: Does God exist?

AAAhmed46
15th February 12, 06:11 PM
These guys need to chill out. HOnestly, Regardless of their views on the middle east, the neo-athiest still didn't bug me as i thought their main issue was agaisnt dogma and the inability to think critically, the militant athiesm a manisfestation agianst the lack of critical thought.

BUt now i just think he's become too much of an ideolouge.

AAAhmed46
15th February 12, 06:12 PM
And this was even AFTER he promoted pat condells video about the 'ground zero' mosque(which opened recently, but no one really cared in the media in the end)

But after his rejection of John Lennox, who unlike william lane craig is not a creationist....i lost alot of respect.

Ajamil
15th February 12, 08:11 PM
Answer: I have the internet, I need to know. How to think, not remember facts. There is something to be said for knowing the books you espouse, however. Prabhupada stressed knowing books "like a lawyer."

Lollius Urbicus
16th February 12, 07:37 AM
WHO FUCKING CARES if people can name the first chapter of the New Testament? How many people can name all 50 US States and their capitals? How many Americans know who the Canadian Prime Minister is?
The survey was done on British people so it should be, how many people can name all the counties and the President of France.

Nobody knows who the Canadian PM is, because nobody cares.

Feryk
16th February 12, 02:22 PM
The US should care. They are about to get most of their imported oil from us, and a helluva lot of freshwater from us.

Vieux Normand
16th February 12, 04:36 PM
The US should care. They are about to get most of their imported oil from us, and a helluva lot of freshwater from us.

...which, if they wish, they can take from you cnux any time they choose, regardless of who might be your prime rib. Cuz cnux have no nukes.

Feryk
16th February 12, 04:39 PM
It's cheaper to buy it from us, than take it by force. We are quite willing to sell at market prices, you know.

Vieux Normand
16th February 12, 04:50 PM
It's cheaper to buy it from us, than take it by force...

...and you're unwilling to hew their oil, draw their water and take their money--unless they know (or care) who your pryminister is?

We are quite willing to sell at market prices, you know.

...which is one reason why they have yet to simply take it from you. When they need it enough, they will (paid-for or not).