PDA

View Full Version : Audi A4

Cullion
11th February 12, 05:42 PM
Thinking of getting a second hand one from 2008. Anybody else owned or driven one ?

Angry Mandrill
11th February 12, 06:06 PM
i've driven a couple, as i once considered purchasing one. drives nice, but seems cramped inside.

billy sol hurok
11th February 12, 06:08 PM
Friend of mine has had several; still drives one. He skis a lot, and likes the way it handles in the snow (with snow tires, of course).

If you had specific questions, I'd be happy to pass them along.

Cullion
11th February 12, 06:23 PM
I don't want spend a lot of money on cars, so I want something that lasts. If you could ask your friend; What is a realistic mileage to get out of an A4?

billy sol hurok
11th February 12, 06:36 PM
IIRC he's getting mid/high 20's on the highway; will confirm that with him when able.

The current one's got over 100k miles on it how; he's planning to drive it to 175k (Ħojala!). It wouldn't surprise me, as he keeps after the thing mechanically. Again, I'll have to confirm, but it seems to me that he's had to replace some parts above/beyond the usual alternator water pump timing belt crap.

Maintenance of these cars is NOT cheap -- around these parts, anyway -- nor infrequent. Might want to get a sense of where your prospective car stands in the timing belt cycle of life, and make some inquiries into local shops that could service it for you. Get your sticker shock before buying in.

nihilist
12th February 12, 03:15 AM
Any mechanic would warn against getting an Audi.

nihilist
12th February 12, 03:18 AM
Don't just take my word for it.
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20070827180422AAxG0Hn

Cullion
12th February 12, 07:37 AM
I had expected much better of German engineering than what I'm reading here Moleculo.
I am looking for a moderately classy sedan that's not too expensive to run. If I cannot trust Audi, then who?

resolve
12th February 12, 11:14 AM
Volkswagen

Cullion
12th February 12, 11:41 AM
I'm listening.

nihilist
12th February 12, 11:55 AM
Your prospective cars should be researched through edmunds.com.

resolve
12th February 12, 12:46 PM
What kind of manufacturers are available to choose from in Oxford that's in your price range?

You can start there.

As for Volkswagen I hear the CC Sedan is decent.

nihilist
12th February 12, 12:58 PM
Wait.

nihilist
12th February 12, 01:05 PM
My wife had a toyota that went nearly 300,000 miles before she crashed it.

Cullion
12th February 12, 01:14 PM
What kind of manufacturers are available to choose from in Oxford that's in your price range?

Any European or Japanese car with the exclusion of the stuff that costs upwards of $100,000 USD new. True luxury and sports cars like Bentleys, Porsches, Ferraris etc.. are not in my range. BMWs, Mercs, Audis are mostly in range.

I will be buying something second hand that's 5 or less years old, with 50,000 miles or less on it. I need 4 seats and I don't want something that sprays fuel out the back via its twin-turbofag gasolinewaster technology to give me 5 mpg. My mid-life crisis keeps whispering to me about getting a convertible, but my head says no.

nihilist
12th February 12, 01:16 PM
My Mercedes had 185k. Had it for two years, spent two grand in repairs got it for two grand.

Bargain.

Also most of the german cars that have problems had owners who didn't pony up for the recommended maintenance.

Mercedes makes quality cars. I wouldn't buy one without complete service records though.

resolve
12th February 12, 04:42 PM
Jetta's are nice. They look a little awkward now though.

AAAAAA
13th February 12, 08:41 AM
Cullion your price range is so wide you can get basically anything. Pick up a car magazine and make up your mind about what's your kind of car.
I like Japanese cars because they're unbreakable (I had 3 of different brands and they never ever had a glitch, and I drive a lot of mountains and rough roads), but the interiors aren'tnearly as good as Volkswagen or Audi.

The Germans are great cars but you MUST service them properly.

If you want the most beautiful car made in the 2000s get an Alfa Brera. It'll break down quickly, and then you'll change it with a proper car, but you'll have the satisfaction of having owned it.

Oh and if you're buying diesel try and keep away from the DPF-fitted cars

Feryk
13th February 12, 01:31 PM
Cullion;

I don't really know anything about the Anglo car market. How are you planning to service the car (dealership, local mechanic, etc.). The age of car you are looking at seems to be the 'just out of warranty' type, so you wouldn't be limited as to who services it for most things, but there are some things that a dealership must do.

If you buy a brand that hasn't got any service near you, it would be a problem wouldn't it?

My impression of the A4 is that it is a nice ride, but it's only fair for maintenance, and if anything breaks, it's expensive. I've driven a few, and a number of guys in my industry like them.

Any import will probably be similar.

And why not a convertable? As long as it's waterproof, why wouldn't you want one?

Cullion
13th February 12, 01:51 PM
Cullion;

I don't really know anything about the Anglo car market. How are you planning to service the car (dealership, local mechanic, etc.). The age of car you are looking at seems to be the 'just out of warranty' type, so you wouldn't be limited as to who services it for most things, but there are some things that a dealership must do.

If you buy a brand that hasn't got any service near you, it would be a problem wouldn't it?

My impression of the A4 is that it is a nice ride, but it's only fair for maintenance, and if anything breaks, it's expensive. I've driven a few, and a number of guys in my industry like them.

Any import will probably be similar.

And why not a convertable? As long as it's waterproof, why wouldn't you want one?

Servicing German cars locally (within 5 miles) is not a problem for me. There are Audi dealerships that do Audi approved servicing.

The two issues with convertibles are that they are that bit less safe if you're unlucky enough to roll it (I'm not a crazy driver, but there's always the other guy and I'd be driving my kids around in this), and the soft top can be a magnet for vandals. Not an issue where I live, but I sometimes park in neighbourhoods where that could happen.

Phrost
13th February 12, 06:34 PM
I had an Audi TT; loved the car but if it weren't for the extended super mega warranty, we would have been out about $15k on a car that had depreciated to about $14k (transmission and engine issues).

Test drove an S4, and it was like testosterone-infused butter. Almost bought it, glad I didn't in hindsight.

lant3rn
13th February 12, 10:06 PM
Don't buy an audi.

They can be nightmare if they act up on you and are a magnet for valdalism.

I used to old an old s4 that i purchased at a police auction, alternator went. 10 grand to fix..... which i didnt pay and basically sold the car for parts.

My VW deisel is fucking great on gas and havent had a problem with it with just under 200k on it so far.

Mercedez or very nice aswell,
maybe consider an acura aswell ( I've heard doog things)

Nasreal
22nd February 12, 12:33 AM
Cullion your price range is so wide you can get basically anything. Pick up a car magazine and make up your mind about what's your kind of car.
I like Japanese cars because they're unbreakable (I had 3 of different brands and they never ever had a glitch, and I drive a lot of mountains and rough roads), but the interiors aren'tnearly as good as Volkswagen or Audi.

The Germans are great cars but you MUST service them properly.

If you want the most beautiful car made in the 2000s get an Alfa Brera. It'll break down quickly, and then you'll change it with a proper car, but you'll have the satisfaction of having owned it.

Oh and if you're buying diesel try and keep away from the DPF-fitted carsmost beautiful car made in the 2000's? Not an Alfa Brera, I'd take a Morgan Super Sport way before that...

AAAAAA
22nd February 12, 05:42 AM
most beautiful car made in the 2000's? Not an Alfa Brera, I'd take a Morgan Super Sport way before that...

I'm talking about normal cars here. If we count exotic semi-prototypes, well, the Morgan is nice.

The Brera is an exercise in design and styling that got built because they had so many requests. Too bad they didn't make it a good car so it didn't sell well.

Cullion
23rd October 12, 01:47 PM
I've decided my next car will be a Toyota. But not a Prius. A second-hand diesel Avensis. I noticed that a lot of the taxis around here are that model, so I thought 'if these guys are all using one to earn their living with, it's probably good value for money'. All the reviews I read agree with the premise that it's a cheap,reliable sedan with good fuel efficiency that doesn't cost much to ensure because they're so incredibly uncool that they never get stolen.

http://www.carpages.co.uk/toyota/toyota-images/toyota_avensis_28_01_07.jpg

Uncool. Cheap. Doesn't break. That's how I like them.

Feryk
23rd October 12, 02:23 PM
Good, stable, reliable choice.

Congratulations, you just bored NoB to death.

Cullion
23rd October 12, 03:24 PM
I just can't bring myself to spend that much money on a depreciating asset.

Getting married once was enough, I learned my lesson.

billy sol hurok
23rd October 12, 03:25 PM
Which generation? Which engine?

Reminds me a bit of a eurofied Avalon (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_Avalon), a car I had considered.

Cullion
23rd October 12, 03:34 PM
Which generation? Which engine?

The 2.2 litre diesel, around 3-5 years old. The sedan not the estate ('station wagon') model.

Reminds me a bit of a eurofied Avalon (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_Avalon), a car I had considered.

Yes, a eurofied Avalon sounds about right, looking at those pictures.

Nob, you love cars and A4 is not a financial millstone for you. Go for it.

To me cars are a utilitarian thing, and I actually take a perverse pride in driving something uncool whilst watching guys who I know make less money than me sink themselves up to their armpits in consumer credit to own something that they think is a status symbol, but which actually announces their stupidity, in my eyes.

billy sol hurok
23rd October 12, 04:03 PM
Vacations: I enjoy it while I am there but I forget it soon after. The happy effect does not last.

Take more pictures. Use that as an excuse to introduce some serendipity into your travels -- or, as an excuse to go off on your own now and then.

It might help you remember parts of the trip that didn't suck. And even parts that suck can make good pictures.

Besides, you can spend some GOOD money on photo gear, yessir.

Douche cam, voila! (http://www.hasselblad.com/ferrari-edition/h4d-40-ferrari-edition.aspx)

Avalons are Toyota's answer to Buick and have soft suspensions geared towards older drivers.

Oh, they're dentist cars for sure. But very roomy -- 4-adults-and-their-gear roomy -- with a silky power plant and Toyota reliability.

Spade: The Real Snake
23rd October 12, 07:08 PM
I have a Venza, or as one of my training partners calls it "a soccer mom car"

Sent by telekinesis via Cerebro