PDA

View Full Version : XM Radio has some interesting stuff. Fox News isn't one of them.

Feryk
10th January 12, 05:59 PM
So I've been fiddling with the dial on my XM Radio lately, trying stations I've pretty much ignored. So far, my impressions of all of the news channels are that they suck. The 'best' one, believe it or not, was the BBC. Their actual NEWS is fantastic, but I'll be damned if I'm going to listed to some artist blabbing about his new show on the Strand.

Fox News OTOH, started out as almost political comedy for me. Their bias is clear on every story. CNN is not much better.

Anybody have a good source of NEWS without the bias?

lant3rn
10th January 12, 06:40 PM
Sometimes POTUS hosts some interesting potical debate which is failry objective and well moderated.

But for news you're pretty much stuck with BBC, or the CBC.

Everything else makes my ears bleed. Especially FOX, which my father likes to turn on when he comes around.

Commodore Pipes
11th January 12, 12:15 AM
I like the BBC, too, but I can't honestly say if their news is unbiased or merely differently biased.

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
11th January 12, 12:44 AM
All news is biased. BBC is biased in a foreign way that goes over your head. It's similar to NPR, but NPR is actually more balanced simply because it's fairly decentralized. Still tons of hippie shit on it.
I'm so disappointed that this thread isn't about music, but XM has generally terrible music anyway.

Commodore Pipes
11th January 12, 01:39 AM
I'm so glad it goes over my head. I'll give you the same courtesy next time so that you don't get any in your eyes.

Robot Jesus
11th January 12, 02:11 PM
BBC tends to be less sensational, which is a nice change of pace from American news although sometimes it makes me feel a bit ethnocentric.

yRF_xwBt5_g

First time the show has made me laugh in years.

Spade: The Real Snake
11th January 12, 02:29 PM
I like listening to the FOX stations....especially Alan Colmes' show because he is so goddam passive-aggressively dismissive it's amusing.

Lollius Urbicus
11th January 12, 02:37 PM
BBC has quite a left wing bias.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Criticism_of_the_BBC#Political_bias

(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Criticism_of_the_BBC#Political_bias)Director General of the BBC Mark Thompson said in an interview with the New Statesman about bias at the BBC that.

"In the BBC I joined 30 years ago there was, in much of current affairs, in terms of people's personal politics, which were quite vocal, a massive bias to the left."

However, claimed that now it had moved past this, not many people who aren't on the left agree with him. He continued:

"Now it is a completely different generation. There is much less overt tribalism among the young journalists who work for the BBC. It is like the New Statesman, which used to be various shades of soft and hard left and is now more technocratic. We're like that, too."

Which is pretty ironic, seeing as the New Statesman considered across the whole political spectrum to be a left wing publication.

Generally their commentary is relative subtle, its not Rush Limbaugh type bias, but there's definitely more air time given to left wing views, left wing opinions on things like the EU, Arab Israeli conflcit, the war in Iraq, the size of the state and the welfare system.

The most recent clear examples of cultural bias was the initial coverage of Cameron's 'veto' of the proposed EU fiscal discipline treaty. The BBC reported it as if it was the end of the world, we would be kicked out of Europe for being swizzle eyed racists and that Armageddon had come. 10 years earlier the BBC had been actively pro-Euro membership for Britain.

However, having seen that every opinion poll taken of the British public about Cameron's veto showed that the public supported it and liked Cameron standing up to Europe. Along with the Germans bringing us back into negotiations and today's draft treaty showing Britian had got many of the concessions and safeguards on the single market that it wanted. They've been forced to re-adjust their position and take a more sceptical stance on the Euro.
/rant.

Commodore Pipes
11th January 12, 03:32 PM
I figured it was biased, because as MJS said, every news story is biased. The confusion on my part stems from the fact that there are many stories I only hear from the BBC that I have no other perspectives to weigh that bias against, does that make sense? So I can't tell when they are being super biased or mildly biased. American broadcast news outlets don't generally care about the EU or CIS or really anything going on in Asia or South America or that other place, the one with all the horrible diseases and living conditions, Africa, I think.

Dr. Socially Liberal Fiscally Conservative Vermin
11th January 12, 03:38 PM
Basically most right wing British people accuse the BBC of being overtly left wing and every catholic in the UK accuses it of being anti-religious and so on ad nausium....

It is probably more liberal than alot of US press but it is suprisingly unbiased and willing to give any shade of politician a kicking. The world news coverage is excellent IMO.

Lollius Urbicus
11th January 12, 03:43 PM
To be fair when they're just reporting facts such as the Tzilii tribe flooding Kenpow square, they're usually very good. The EU veto was a recent example of where they can allow their bias to affect their raw factual reporting, but on the whole they're factually pretty good.

Where the bias crops up is when they get in the political commentators and have the on air debates.

Its real strength is in the breadth of coverage, because its very global in its outlook. The current affairs foreign programmes very good - From our own Correspondent (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/from_our_own_correspondent/default.stm) and Crossing Continents (http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006qt55) gives you stories and info about things you would never have known otherwise. Its worth downloading the pod-casts for those two from Itunes.

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
11th January 12, 05:30 PM
BBC is biased from an English liberal's perspective that probably happens to be the exact shade of social and economic leftism that you want to hear. Unfortunately right-wing media in the US generally panders to less educated people that can't spell Darfur and don't care about darkies gettin genocided, which is why they don't bother to report on how those darkies probably deserved it.

I used to listen to BBC reports while blitzed out of my mind with fair frequency. I never really listened to what they were talking about, but I noticed that they had this steady, pleasant, and unnervingly consistent rhythm to their voice regardless of what they were actually reporting on. All news reporters and people in general have these sort of unique vocal rhythms, but the BBC reporters were very obvious and disturbing to me. They're probably robots, or brainwashed.

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
11th January 12, 05:39 PM
^doesn't actually work at his job

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
11th January 12, 05:46 PM
< has been a manager
< likes taller guys

Lollius Urbicus
11th January 12, 05:51 PM
Basically most right wing British people accuse the BBC of being overtly left wing
The director general of the BBC said 'we used to be really left wing, now we're only as left wing as the new statesman'.

The BBC does a lot of good stuff, but its left wing bias is undeniable.

Ajamil
12th January 12, 08:21 AM
Just found a new radio app for mah phone (I want my computer back!!!) And have been enjoying its news stations. They have good coverage of facts and bias. In general the only thing close to news on the radio is NPR, which isn't really news so much as news review, and biased. I like it, the BBC, and talk radio because I prefer news stories and opinions over music. I'll laugh and argue with Rush or Maher, or facepalm over Beck or savage.

For actual news I go to the internet. I found a nice israeli paper. Online, as well as al-jazeera (sp?) Provide nice counterpoints, and google news of course.

And nob, you also visit 4chan and 9gag - openly - so you don't count. Although sometimes the chans are on a story first.

resolve
13th January 12, 02:25 PM
NoB why did what MJS said upset you so much?

You work in the networking/IT industry right? Then just deal with the fact that you really don't get much actual work done and you are being paid for your knowledge and move on.

I know that contradicts your "pull yourself up by your own bootstraps hard work is what will take you places" philosophy/ethic but it's the truth of the matter.

One of the highest paid people I've ever known was a friend who was paid over $250k a year to basically do nothing all day but to be available if something broke on a military network. He spent most of his time at that job coming up with interesting food concoctions in the break room.

Commodore Pipes
13th January 12, 02:28 PM
There's some truth to this. I know a medical physicists who actually works maybe five hours a week. But they absolutely need him on hand if they need a consultation or have an issue with the cyclotron.

Yiktin Voxbane
24th January 12, 10:22 PM
http://www.sbs.com.au/

/Thread .

billy sol hurok
25th January 12, 09:41 AM
I doan theen so, me Bucko:

This program has no videos

We're sorry but there are currently no videos available for SOS Santa: The Fascist Years.

Disappoint.

Feryk
26th January 12, 01:12 PM
Yik;

I spent some time on that site. It looks pretty damn good, but pretty focussed on Australian issues. Their World News site is good though. I read about a French breast implant maker who is being arrested. Didn't make the news over here.

Lollius Urbicus
26th January 12, 06:45 PM
. I read about a French breast implant maker who is being arrested. Didn't make the news over here.
Big news over here, loadsa slags have had their bewbs pumped with industrial grade silicon PIP implants and now want the gubermint to pay to have them checked out and replaced.

Yiktin Voxbane
3rd February 12, 01:42 AM
Santa: The Fascist Years.

Alas nae, but from the same program I offer this as means of Apology (worth waiting till the end if just for the Muzak)

ADVANTAGE SATAN ! (Some NSFW Language contained within) .

9RbKwDItEgc

On the subject of the SBS news service, they have shown content that caused the US Govt. some discomfort more than once .