PDA

View Full Version : Know Your Rights! - United States of America Version

resolve
22nd December 11, 06:10 AM
In this thread you should post rights or freedoms that are available to the citizen of the country specified but are hardly known about by the population and are thus often breached or never used.

I'll go first.

Jury Nullification

In the United States, if you serve on a Jury, if all evidence points towards a party being innocent or leaves questionable doubt as to a party's guilt you MUST vote for innocence. If, however, the evidence points towards guilt you MAY vote for guilty. That means that you don't have to vote for guilt. You have the right to say no even if the evidence is overwhelming that they broke a law.

What this can be used for is to not vote for a party's guilt on a case where you don't agree with the law or the circumstances of the case and this is called 'Jury Nullification'.

The powers that be are so hateful of Jury Nullification they never specifically tell the jury members that they have this right/power and most people that serve on a jury have no idea they have it. They also actively try to block the dissemination of this information.

Just recently Julian P. Heicklen, a retired chemistry professor, was charged with the offense of 'jury tampering' because he stood outside the federal courthouse in Manhattan providing information about jury nullification to passers-by.

In 1895, the Supreme Court ruled that jurors had no right, during trials, to be told about nullification. The court did not say that jurors didnít have the power, or that they couldnít be told about it, but only that judges were not required to instruct them on it during a trial.

The reason for this? It's most often used by people advocating for change in non-violent drug related offenses or others such as the times it was used to bring about changes for ending prohibition, racially selective applied laws, and laws criminalizing homosexual sex.

Your turn!

Commodore Pipes
22nd December 11, 12:17 PM
Did you know you can ignore judicial rulings, or even send the Capitol Police or U.S. Marshal's to arrest judges you disagree with?

Well, if you're Newt Gingrinch, you can, I mean.

Machete
22nd December 11, 10:11 PM
Unless authorised by the constitution or an act of congress, members of the United States army, navy or marine corp may not be conscripted by a sheriff to pursue a felon.

Whether or not a sheriff and the posse he has conscripted to pursue a felon has the right to commandeer army, navy or marine corp vehicle is another matter, and one that I can't answer.

Hedley LaMarr
22nd December 11, 10:22 PM
Did you know if the Army came knocking on your door and tries to live at your place without rent, you can kick them on the curb and tell them to go fuck themselves? Know your 3rd amendment rights.

resolve
22nd December 11, 10:30 PM
I think we should steer clear of the major Bill of Rights stuff as most people know them, even if they often misinterpret them. I would like this thread to be about rights that most people do not know that they have as a United States citizen.

Hedley LaMarr
22nd December 11, 10:58 PM
It's people like you that let those filthy English bastards live in our houses and bang our daughters.

nihilist
23rd December 11, 03:43 AM
You have the right to pay your rent in pennies.

Machete
23rd December 11, 05:12 AM
You have the right to pay your rent in pennies.

Is that true? The US Department of the Treasury says:

There is, however, no Federal statute mandating that a private business, a person or an organization must accept currency or coins as for payment for goods and/or services. Private businesses are free to develop their own policies on whether or not to accept cash unless there is a State law which says otherwise. For example, a bus line may prohibit payment of fares in pennies or dollar bills. In addition, movie theaters, convenience stores and gas stations may refuse to accept large denomination currency (usually notes above $20) as a matter of policy."

nihilist
23rd December 11, 11:16 PM
That is correct, however, if the landlord refuses payment of legal tender currency, resolve can go to court and have the debt discharged based on the grounds that there was a valid offer of payment and it was refused.

Machete
24th December 11, 06:43 AM
Is that because an exchange has already been made? In other words, if the landlord had demanded rent to be paid upfront, he could refuse payment in pennies.

nihilist
24th December 11, 09:08 PM
Probably.
Also, the chances of prevailing would vary depending on the state one lives in and whether or not the judge believed you were being purposely malicious.

Spade: The Real Snake
28th December 11, 12:25 AM
http://i11.piczo.com/view/i/1/290/266042/290266042_580532084_1.jpg

jvjim
2nd January 12, 02:11 AM
In some states, if you lose at municipal court, you have an absolute right to a trial de novo (completely new trial), usually at the circuit level.