PDA

View Full Version : Sooooo, I have a 4X4 now...

Nasreal
10th November 11, 10:00 PM
8011I bought myself a 5.2L V8 Durango 4X4 in august, and so far I fucking love it. The only thing I hate is the gas mileage, but I knew that going in, so it's not a big deal. The thing is that I love the 4X4 traction for snow and shit, we already got hit once this year, but I wanted to lower it. I wasn't looking for anything super drastic, 3 or 4 inches at most. But from what I've been told, this is nearly impossible. Does anyone know anything about four-wheel drive, and how you might do this? I mean, if you don't care about losing your 4x4 you can slam any truck as low as you like, but the 4X4 is the biggest reason I got it. I'm not going to do a lot of serious off-roading so I don't really need to worry about having less ground clearance. So in short, anyone know how to lower a 4X4 and not lose the 4X4 capability?

nihilist
10th November 11, 10:12 PM
If you aren't doing off roading WTF did you buy a 4x4???

Hedley LaMarr
10th November 11, 10:52 PM
Getting tail left and right.

nihilist
11th November 11, 12:07 AM
4x4 is an odd size for a penis.

Hedley LaMarr
11th November 11, 12:47 AM
4x4 is an odd size for a penis.Some women like trucks and some women like choades. These demographics just happen to be one in the same.

nihilist
11th November 11, 12:59 AM
And some women like to insert half blocks of cheese.

Hedley LaMarr
11th November 11, 01:12 AM
And some women like to insert half blocks of cheese.Being from Wisconsin, I can attest to the veracity of that statement.

Nasreal
11th November 11, 09:03 AM
If you aren't doing off roading WTF did you buy a 4x4???I need to commute to my university, and it is too far to walk or ride a bike. I also live in the northeast and it snows like a motherfucker from time to time. The issue is that my school never, or very rarely, closes due to weather, it's a four year university with a relatively small commuter student population. I need a vehicle that can get me there even in horrible weather. Not to mention going to work which will never ever close due to the nature of my job. I fucking like trucks so, haters gonna hate. Besides that, I dont live in the country so there's not many places to go off-roading, and I can't afford to be replacing my ball joints every other month cuz I'm riding the truck like a cheap whore. I don't want to abuse the damn thing.

Tl;dr : I need an all weather, all purpose vehicle, and I didn't want some pussy outback wagon, cuz fuck that noise.

P.s. I should have known better than to expect even one serious answer.

AAAAAA
11th November 11, 11:06 AM
It's a matter of aesthetic taste. To move on the roads in any weather you need just a light car with the right tires and that's it. It will brake much better too.

I guess this forum doesn't have a niche of lowered trucks lovers.

Nasreal
11th November 11, 01:35 PM
As far as trucks go, I can understand people who like them. Not something I would buy myself, I would rather have a Land Rover.

However, why lower it? Lowered trucks look like shit, and they certainly aren't going to handle as well as a car. Get an AWD car if you like the low to ground look.

Well, as for the looks, that's all a matter of opinion. I like the slammed trucks, some people don't. It won't handle as well as a car but the handling should be improved by lowering. What I'm concerned about however, is that lowering screws with the geometry of the suspension, and I'm trying to find out a way to lower it and still be able to use the 4x4.

Nasreal
11th November 11, 01:38 PM
It's a matter of aesthetic taste. To move on the roads in any weather you need just a light car with the right tires and that's it. It will brake much better too.

I guess this forum doesn't have a niche of lowered trucks lovers.

I've had 3 light cars in my life, and I don't put shitty tires on them. In my experience, every one of my cars has pretty much sucked dick in the snow. I had a Nissan Sentra most recently, and at one point I couldn't make it home from work, at all...

Angry Mandrill
11th November 11, 01:44 PM
only a poor carpenter blames his tools

nihilist
11th November 11, 01:48 PM
Any front wheel drive vehicle does great in snow.

Nasreal
11th November 11, 02:00 PM
Any front wheel drive vehicle does great in snow.

That really depends honestly. I said before that my cars sucked for the most part, but they suck to different degrees. The Sentra I had just had terrible traction issues, even driving at very slow speeds in the snow. The time I said I couldn't make it home, I had it in low gear driving under ten miles an hour and I still had a horrible time keeping it under control. It slid all over. And the tires I had on it at the time were not terrible or very old.

nihilist
11th November 11, 02:23 PM
either you didn't have studded snow tires on it or you don't know how to drive in snow.

Nasreal
11th November 11, 02:41 PM
Either it's...
Any front wheel drive vehicle does great in snow. or it's
you didn't have studded snow tires on it or....
you don't know how to drive in snow.
Seriously, make up your god damn mind. No I didn't buy snow specific tires, because I was working for 9 dollars an hour and going to school at the time. The car had normal, not bald or shitty, tires on it. Don't say any FWD car is good in the snow, and then backpedal and say i must not have the right tires. Damn it must be near fucking impossible to drive in the snow. And NONE of this has any fucking thing to do with the point of my post, so thanks man. Jesus.

AAAAAA
11th November 11, 02:43 PM
Any car with WINTER TIRES will do perfectly in the snow. Studded is for extreme conditions. A FWD light car with winter tires will do better than an AWD with summer tires.

nihilist
11th November 11, 03:01 PM
Either it's... or it's or....
Seriously, make up your god damn mind. No I didn't buy snow specific tires, because I was working for 9 dollars an hour and going to school at the time. The car had normal, not bald or shitty, tires on it. Don't say any FWD car is good in the snow, and then backpedal and say i must not have the right tires. Damn it must be near fucking impossible to drive in the snow. And NONE of this has any fucking thing to do with the point of my post, so thanks man. Jesus.Tires are what connects the car to the ground. you said you were having trouble driving in the snow with a front wheel drive car in the snow. I didn't backpedal. I simply stated facts as needed.

Angry Mandrill
11th November 11, 03:15 PM
although nassy's petulance is rather cute

Nasreal
11th November 11, 03:43 PM
Tires are what connects the car to the ground. you said you were having trouble driving in the snow with a front wheel drive car in the snow. I didn't backpedal. I simply stated facts as needed.

Ok, but do you have an answer to my original question?

Nasreal
11th November 11, 04:25 PM
Yes. Don't lower your truck. This is an answer. It is a wrong answer. I didn't ask whether I SHOULD lower it, I asked if it was POSSIBLE and HOWDO?

SoulMechanic
11th November 11, 04:37 PM
Lil Nassy needs himself a bitchin matching Spiderman step stool to go with his booster seat. Problem solved with style points to boot.

Cullion
11th November 11, 05:18 PM
This is an answer. It is a wrong answer. I didn't ask whether I SHOULD lower it, I asked if it was POSSIBLE and HOWDO?

You typing in caps has intimidated me into answering your question.

All you have to do is let air out of the tyres until it drops to the height you want.

Nasreal
11th November 11, 05:21 PM
You typing in caps has intimidated me into answering your question.

All you have to do is let air out of the tyres until it drops to the height you want. Sorry, Culls, I was using caps to replace italics. That being said, that's a stupid idea.

Nasreal
11th November 11, 05:22 PM
Lil Nassy needs himself a bitchin matching Spiderman step stool to go with his booster seat. Problem solved with style points to boot. The problem is not with getting into the truck, there's a running board for that.

Nasreal
11th November 11, 05:24 PM
Do the ghetto method and heat the springs. What should I use to heat them, will they fit in my microwave? Blowtorch? Thermite? Please, explain.

Cullion
11th November 11, 05:27 PM
Pile kindling and charcoal under each wheel-arch, just on the inside of the tyre, and light it.

Spade: The Real Snake
11th November 11, 06:40 PM
Does this 4X4 make you finally feel man-sized?

Sent by telekinesis via Cerebro

nihilist
11th November 11, 08:25 PM
This is an answer. It is a wrong answer. I didn't ask whether I SHOULD lower it, I asked if it was POSSIBLE and HOWDO?
for around $5-8000 you could have a shop custom shorten and re-balance the driveshafts and completly redesign the suspension.

Is that what you wanted to know?

nihilist
11th November 11, 08:27 PM
Place stops under the truck at the height you want. Heat the springs with a blowtorch. When they get red hot the weight of the truck will compress them until they hit the stops. When they cool down, they will be set at the height of the stops.

Ghetto lowering.

That'll buy you about 4-5" and makes the truck useless for carrying any payload whatsoever.

Cullion
11th November 11, 08:28 PM
Listen to Moleculo when it comes to fucking with cars and trucks. He used to have a mullet.

nihilist
11th November 11, 08:28 PM
That'll buy you about 4-5" and makes the truck useless for carrying any payload whatsoever.

nihilist
11th November 11, 08:30 PM
Listen to Moleculo when it comes to fucking with cars and trucks. He used to have a mullet.

FUKKIN' A BRO

nihilist
12th November 11, 01:51 AM
Heating the leaf springs will relax the front but there's not enough weight in the bed for the detempering to work.

Nasreal
12th November 11, 08:49 AM
for around $5-8000 you could have a shop custom shorten and re-balance the driveshafts and completly redesign the suspension.

Is that what you wanted to know?
This is what I expected, which sucks because a lowering kit for a regular FWD vehicle only costs like 500 max. I have heard of people taking some of the leaves out of the leaf springs in the back to get some drop, but that is absolutely fucking retarded and your ride is going suck balls. As for heating the springs, I am glad my sarcasm detector is functional, I wonder if anyone would actually be stupid enough to try that...

Nasreal
12th November 11, 08:50 AM
Does this 4X4 make you finally feel man-sized?

Sent by telekinesis via Cerebro I don't understand what you're implying snake.

Nasreal
12th November 11, 08:55 AM
Hey, I said it was ghetto. He wants a lame ghetto look. Might as well use a lame ghetto method to get it. By ghetto look, you are thinking something like this: http://image.truckinweb.com/f/14650409/0903tr_22_z+2008_sema_las_vegas+slammed_chevy_pick up.jpg This is not at all what I want. Even if I dropped my Durango by like 5 or 6 inches it wouldn't look that dramatic. I want to eliminate wheel gap, and improve the handling slightly. Even a 3 inch drop would help with that.

resolve
12th November 11, 11:17 AM
I ROFL'ed hard every time I saw a lowered vehicle get stuck on speed bumps when I was out in LA. It never really gets old.

nihilist
12th November 11, 11:47 AM
This is what I expected, which sucks because a lowering kit for a regular FWD vehicle only costs like 500 max. I have heard of people taking some of the leaves out of the leaf springs in the back to get some drop, but that is absolutely fucking retarded and your ride is going suck balls. As for heating the springs, I am glad my sarcasm detector is functional, I wonder if anyone would actually be stupid enough to try that...

You could never get enough heat from a regular cutting torch to actually heat up all those leaf springs without taking them off the vehicle and detempering them one at a time.

Hilarious in any case.

Nasreal
12th November 11, 11:48 AM
I ROFL'ed hard every time I saw a lowered vehicle get stuck on speed bumps when I was out in LA. It never really gets old.
Yeah, that's the other reason I don't want to lower it very dramatically. For practical purposes i have to go over like 4 speed bumps going into work and the driveway to my apartment complex is way to steep. I'd be bottoming out all the fucking time. I could go the opposite way if i just wanted pure aesthetics, but if you're not going to go off-roading then lifting a truck is modification for modification's sake. I'm hoping to get a little extra functionality by modding mine.

Japuma
14th November 11, 12:42 PM
2" drop with bigger wheels...

http://www.dakota-durango.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46328

Spade: The Real Snake
14th November 11, 12:48 PM
I don't understand what you're implying snake.
do you need to get a running start and a trampoline to get into the driver's seat or does Manhands give you a boost?

Nasreal
14th November 11, 02:27 PM
2" drop with bigger wheels...

http://www.dakota-durango.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46328

Thank you for that one, it actually answers my question. You can get at least a two inch drop and still use the 4X4.

Nasreal
14th November 11, 02:28 PM
do you need to get a running start and a trampoline to get into the driver's seat or does Manhands give you a boost?
Nope, I get in just fine, but I am a bit afraid of heights, so....

nihilist
14th November 11, 04:47 PM
Thank you for that one, it actually answers my question. You can get at least a two inch drop and still use the 4X4.

Let me know when you need me to tow you out of the snow.

danno
29th November 11, 08:25 PM
just had an idea.

instead of lowering a 4Wd, you could raise a nissan skyline. you'll be the coolest kid on the block.