PDA

View Full Version : Your credit card and bank cards will not allow you to donate to WIKILEAKS anymore.

AAAhmed46
26th October 11, 07:23 PM
Whether you agree with it or not, this demonstrates a little too much power in the hands of the banks etc. Wikileaks can't get donations anymore? What the hell.
The government should not be merged with private corporations. Libertarians should be screaming right now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5KkmcMonY4&feature=channel_video_title

l5KkmcMonY4&

AAAhmed46
26th October 11, 07:38 PM
It's illegal. Unfortunately something like a boycott of these companies isn't really possible, so the only hope is if the government steps in and reverses it, which won't happen.

Ajamil
26th October 11, 07:42 PM
Couldn't people just send money a more traditional way? Send some cashiers checks in the mail or something. I barely look at the site, but I'm grateful it exists and will be sad to see it go.

Edit: Nominate him for a Nobel; there's a cash grant with that, yes?

AAAhmed46
26th October 11, 08:00 PM
Harder to do that now. Besides, youngsters like us make up the support for him. Were not used to doing it the old fashioned way. This will kill the site probably.

elipson
26th October 11, 10:59 PM
Wikileaks should bring a descrimintation lawsuit against the companies on the basis of political affiliation.

You can't refuse to serve someone just because of their political actions.

Feryk
27th October 11, 10:11 AM
This is a textbook case of character assassination, followed up by a cash squeeze. Assange pissed off the wrong people. They took him seriously, got organized, and crushed him like a bug.

The rape charges are bullshit. But they put such a smell around Assange and Wikileaks that no one jumped to their defense when the credit card companies did this - which I am sure was at the request of more than one government.

indy007
27th October 11, 10:46 AM
Wikileaks should bring a descrimintation lawsuit against the companies on the basis of political affiliation.

You can't refuse to serve someone just because of their political actions.

Depends on where you are at. In Texas, business can reserve the right to refuse service to anybody for almost any reason, except race, religion, or national origin. Politics is fair game.

Commodore Pipes
27th October 11, 10:47 AM
Assange made his own stink for me. His anti-American bias is palpable. It's too bad he became the public face of Wikileaks since I think they have accomplished some good. But leaking the contents of diplomatic cables? Oh, wow, a diplomat held views that are different than the views he expressed. It's almost as though he was trying to be diplomatic about the whole thing.

The only purpose that serves is to embarass the US and diminish its influence. And what is the purpose of that? The real engine of oppression isn't a western, liberal democracy; it's a love of money that outweighs love of fellow humans.

elipson
27th October 11, 01:31 PM
I don't really like Assange and I think wikileaks has been misused by releasing book loads of trivial nonsense. If any of their shit was so important, why didn't they just release the important stuff?

That being said, I don't like organized attempts to prevent free speech. He should set up shop in a country that makes it illegal to discriminate on the basis of political grounds (ie Canada) and then bring the wholemess to court.

AAAhmed46
27th October 11, 01:45 PM
Commodore, Elipson: Couldn't have said it better myself.

Cullion
29th October 11, 11:10 AM
I don't really like Assange and I think wikileaks has been misused by releasing book loads of trivial nonsense. If any of their shit was so important, why didn't they just release the important stuff?

Because it has to be combed through by many, many volunteers to find the important stuff. So they have to release it to do that.

That being said, I don't like organized attempts to prevent free speech. He should set up shop in a country that makes it illegal to discriminate on the basis of political grounds (ie Canada) and then bring the wholemess to court.

What power does a Canadian court have to force a non-Canadian corporation to process a payment outside of Canada?

Odacon
29th October 11, 01:22 PM
It bears asking again, cant supporters send cheques through the mail?

elipson
29th October 11, 01:55 PM
Because it has to be combed through by many, many volunteers to find the important stuff. So they have to release it to do that.

It's called investigative journalism. It takes time.

Credit card companies operate in Canada and have Canadian offices. Therefore their Canadian branches are subject to Canadian law.

If the creditcard has no Canadian division and does not do business here, then there isn't much to be done. But otherwise I believe they would fall under the jurisdiction of the Canadian Human Rights Tribunal. I think, not 100% sure on that.

elipson
29th October 11, 02:04 PM
Scratch that.

The CHRT does have the jurisdiction in these matters but political opinions are not grounds for discrimination. I may have been thinking one of the provinces.

Thoery still stands though. Find a place that does not allow for discrimination based on politics and set up shop there, then file a complaint against the local branch of whatever credit card company is shutting you down.

Cullion
29th October 11, 05:27 PM
It's called investigative journalism. It takes time.

Yes, and it requires you to release the material to journalists.

Cullion
29th October 11, 05:28 PM
Thoery still stands though. Find a place that does not allow for discrimination based on politics

And where is that exactly?

and set up shop there, then file a complaint against the local branch of whatever credit card company is shutting you down.

That won't stop the branches in the other jurisdictions refusing to process payments.

elipson
30th October 11, 04:16 PM
I'm not saying its a perfect plan, just trying to think out of the box.

How would you handle the situation Cullion?

nihilist
30th October 11, 06:44 PM
Cullion isn't a solution finder.

He's a problem finder.

Cullion
30th October 11, 07:12 PM
I'm not saying its a perfect plan, just trying to think out of the box.

How would you handle the situation Cullion?

I would use the same tactics I use when I want to be un-bannable on a forum. I would set up new entities to receive donations faster than the banks blocked them.

Ajamil
31st October 11, 08:33 AM
What if we just kept everything secret from you?