PDA

View Full Version : new geek toy

Keith
14th October 11, 10:20 PM
So I got this new toy
http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k79/hapkido_keith/FILE0060.jpg

Now to begin learning to program it.
Then I will make my most awesome beer serving robot.
Then I will adapt the beer bot to serve grenades to my enemies.
Then my creations will become self aware and rise up against humanity.
That's right ladies and gents: the seeds of the robot apocalypse are being sown here and now.

Of course, if anyone has any OTHER suggestions for home electronic programs, feel free to chime in here and the crisis may just be averted.

indy007
15th October 11, 08:09 AM
Phidgets. Not the cheapest, but super-easy to code for using .NET (or java, ios, flex as3, etc).

Built a motion-tracking paintball gun turret using their 4-axis servo controller, a webcam, and the AForge library. Their hardware will definitely form the core of my ambition to weaponize an ATV.

Robot Jesus
15th October 11, 03:24 PM
some manner of self aiming water balloon artillery.

Cullion
15th October 11, 04:16 PM
So I got this new toy
http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k79/hapkido_keith/FILE0060.jpg

Now to begin learning to program it.
Then I will make my most awesome beer serving robot.
Then I will adapt the beer bot to serve grenades to my enemies.
Then my creations will become self aware and rise up against humanity.
That's right ladies and gents: the seeds of the robot apocalypse are being sown here and now.

Of course, if anyone has any OTHER suggestions for home electronic programs, feel free to chime in here and the crisis may just be averted.

The alpha geek where I work had a couple of books about Arduino on his desk a few months ago. Please keep me posted about it.

Keith
15th October 11, 06:59 PM
The alpha geek where I work had a couple of books about Arduino on his desk a few months ago. Please keep me posted about it.

To start with I have a book Beginning Arduino by Michael Roberts that I'll use for the first few ventures into embedded programming to get a hang of how the code is organized, then I'll probably branch out on my own. I was actually thinking a good project would be a bi-directional 1kW programmable power supply/dynamic load. It would be a good semi-advanced project and it would facilitate further projects. I'll be sure to update with whatever craziness I complete.

Steve
16th October 11, 10:08 AM
So I guess fancy lights are out.

indy007
16th October 11, 01:55 PM

Fancy lights are totally in. There's a MAKE article with a guy using an Arduino to drive a 7219x7219 led matrix, with source code.

http://blog.makezine.com/archive/2007/12/arduinopowered-holiday-li.html

Keith
16th October 11, 02:04 PM

The first few beginner's projects are usually making lights blink. With some additional hardware to control higher power, you certainly could make fancy light displays. Actually, I think I will do this on my house for Christmas. Thanks for the idea Steve.

Keith
16th October 11, 11:04 PM

Initial experience installing drivers and connecting the device to a PC:

I'm using an HP a6130n, with AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5000+ 2.60 GHz, running Windows Vista Home Premium.

The device is an Arduino Uno, which I bought alone without any cables or power supply. I either have stuff around or can get it from work so this format works for me, if a novice were to buy one of these in hopes of learning I would recommend getting a package with a bread board, cables, etc.

I downloaded the drivers and programming environment/compiler from the Arduino website: http://arduino.cc/en/Main/Software The software package comes zipped and doesn't extract to a specific place, so I put it in a new folder on my desktop. The executable did not appear in my program files, so I created a shortcut, also on my desktop. I had a 9V wall-wart power supply laying around with a compatible plug which I used to power the device.

I connected the device to my PC via a spare USB printer cable and that's where the problems started. Windows couldn't find a driver for the device. I let it look for a driver automatically, knowing that the software was extracted to my desktop and figuring Windows would find it. It didn't. I let windows search the internet for drivers, and it came back with nothing. I went to the device manager to re-install the drivers and told it to look in my Arduino folder/drivers/FTDI USB Drivers. Nothing. I tried again and told it to look in the whole Arduino folder and Windows found and correctly installed the drivers. I consulted the device manager to confirm the com port of the device, it was com4.

I opened the Arduino executable and went to the tool menu and found that the program had defaulted to com3, so I changed it to the correct com4. My book said to start by uploading an example program that makes an LED on the board blink on and off every second. The problem was that my device was already doing this, so I wouldn't be able to tell if I uploaded the example program correctly. I opened the source code for the example program and changed the delay values from 1000 to 10000 (from 1 second to 10 seconds) and uploaded the new code. The LED then blinked on and off every 10 seconds, verifying that my connection is good and I can start worrying about writing code.

My initial impression: I had heard that Arduinos were supposed to be super user-friendly and a great development board for people looking to get started in embedded programming, but I found that getting this puppy to talk to my computer wasn't quite the walk in the park I was expecting. It didn't trouble ME much, but I have a shitload of experience in electronics. If, say, my mother were to purchase one of these in the hopes of learning how to program, I'm confident I would be fixing her set-up (installing the drivers and selecting the correct com port) for her before she could get started.

Dr. Socially Liberal Fiscally Conservative Vermin
17th October 11, 10:14 AM
Are you coding in C, assembly?

Havent played with this kinda stuff for a couple of years now but always really liked Microchip's PICs.

Spade: The Real Snake
17th October 11, 01:39 PM
Keith is gonna have hisself the world's bestest realdoll.

Keith
17th October 11, 09:04 PM
Are you coding in C, assembly?

Havent played with this kinda stuff for a couple of years now but always really liked Microchip's PICs.

The code is in C. It's organized a little differently from the stuff I wrote as exercises for PC, but it's still C.

18th October 11, 04:49 AM
Do you have the option of assembly?

Sometimes its just easier especially with timming critical stuff

Keith
18th October 11, 08:02 PM
Do you have the option of assembly?

Sometimes its just easier especially with timming critical stuff

There may be a way, but it's not obvious or common.

Keith
20th October 11, 12:03 AM
So I made some LEDs flash.

4DZKtjuA2Vw

20th October 11, 06:27 AM
GO KEiTH!!!

AAAAAA
20th October 11, 06:56 AM
It's scary already.

20th October 11, 07:11 AM
No this is scarey.......

http://www.altera.com/products/devkits/altera/images/cyclone3ls-devbrd.jpg

Cyclone dev board (http://www.altera.com/products/devkits/altera/kit-cyc3-ls.html)

AAAAAA
20th October 11, 08:26 AM
Keith's board has ominous flashing LEDs. They flash in a serene, inexorable sequence, the familiar 1/sec tempo barely hiding the machine's newborn consciousness, arisen in the hidden face of the board.

20th October 11, 08:40 AM
Now you mention it that is scarey!

indy007
20th October 11, 01:11 PM
Next step... weaponize it.

20th October 11, 01:25 PM

st00p'd n00b

you always "fuck it" first, THEN weaponize it.

indy007
20th October 11, 03:34 PM
st00p'd n00b

you always "fuck it" first, THEN weaponize it.

I've seen what people are trying to built to fuck.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahtzQtd_JiM

I want no part of that... well, unless they start building them with removable teeth...

Keith
20th October 11, 11:44 PM
the familiar 1/sec tempo

Actually, they change every 0.333 seconds.

Keith
20th October 11, 11:45 PM

Naw, there's a few other steps in between, but weaponizing it is on the list...

Ajamil
21st October 11, 01:03 AM
Three words: chainsaws, or flames.

21st October 11, 08:01 AM
Naw, there's a few other steps in between, but weaponizing it is on the list...
see.
Keith knows what time it is.

Keith
23rd October 11, 05:01 PM
Now I can get it to process different types of inputs:
h_Dk-saz2Fw

Pie of Hate
24th October 11, 08:16 AM
Now I can get it to process different types of inputs

And tomorrow; the WORLD!!!!

Keith
18th December 11, 10:10 PM
Just about worked out the bugs to have it turn my Christmas lights on in reaction to a photosensor and keep them on for 5 hours, then turn them off and rest when the next day comes. Most of the bugs were induced by programmer error, but there is one quirk that I learned about the compiler: it will ignor redundant "if" statements. For example, if you coded

if(x=1)
{
y=1;
}
if(y=1)
{
z=1;
}

The compiler will ignor the second "if" statement. Your program will work if you go straight to

if(x=1)
{
z=1;
}

I had to create some hardware to get it to switch 120V AC, I'll post pictures and a vid when I have it all together.

nihilist
18th December 11, 10:23 PM
I just hook up an $8 outlet timer.

Keith
18th December 11, 10:35 PM
I just hook up an $8 outlet timer.
That's not nearly as cool.

nihilist
18th December 11, 11:39 PM
Maybe not but with the time I save I can fly my RC helis.

18th December 11, 11:43 PM
Maybe not but with the time I save I can fly my RC helis.

You are using the Hoover of timed controllers while Keith has obviously installed himself a central vac system

Sent by telekinesis via Cerebro

nihilist
19th December 11, 12:03 AM
I have timers with 365 day programming.

Right now he's talking about turning xmas lights on and off.

What I want him to do is get pissed off and build a giant metal monkey so we can have a king Kong showdown.

19th December 11, 07:58 AM
if(x=1)
{
y=1;
}
if(y=1)
{
z=1;
}

The compiler will ignor the second "if" statement. Your program will work if you go straight to

if(x=1)
{
z=1;
}

but what if x=0 and y=1

?

uh

?

what then?

Ajamil
19th December 11, 08:08 AM
If x=0 then the whole thing is skipped. Oh no wait, that's not nested...then it would end with x=0, y=1, and z=1.

19th December 11, 08:32 AM
only if it doesnt skip the second if though

19th December 11, 08:33 AM
sometimes compilers try and be clever by optimising your code and sometimes they fail!

Feryk
19th December 11, 10:37 AM
Well Keith, congratulations, but that's a long way from the beer serving sexbot with flamethrowers we have all imagined. Back to work!

Cullion
19th December 11, 10:57 AM
Just about worked out the bugs to have it turn my Christmas lights on in reaction to a photosensor and keep them on for 5 hours, then turn them off and rest when the next day comes. Most of the bugs were induced by programmer error, but there is one quirk that I learned about the compiler: it will ignor redundant "if" statements. For example, if you coded

if(x=1)
{
y=1;
}
if(y=1)
{
z=1;
}

if(x=1)
{
z=1;
}

I had to create some hardware to get it to switch 120V AC, I'll post pictures and a vid when I have it all together.

if (x=1) will always return true in most c-derived languages. I think you meant if (x==1)

nihilist
19th December 11, 03:04 PM
Well Keith, congratulations, but that's a long way from the beer serving sexbot with flamethrowers we have all imagined. Back to work!

This is what he should be working on (http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=video&cd=3&ved=0CEIQtwIwAg&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.theonion.com%2Fvideo%2Fnew-robot-warns-when-someones-about-to-walk-in-on%2C26697%2F&ctbm=vid&ei=OZzvTpLlO8eviALzpY3XBA&usg=AFQjCNGg3LQJDPzUUTMK-I7L1Tg3E4GVmg)

Keith
19th December 11, 04:01 PM

I'm working on it goddammit!

Keith
20th December 11, 03:04 AM
Confirmed today that the lights came on at dark and shut off sometime between 8 and 9:30. I think I want to lengthen that time a bit, but otherwise it's working.

nihilist
20th December 11, 03:24 AM
Have you started on the GMM yet?

Keith
1st April 12, 06:45 PM
Latest project

QyUFOcyzcz0