PDA

View Full Version : Russian - Canadian Military Leaders Meet To Discuss Arctic Initiatives

OZZ
23rd September 11, 07:59 PM
Russia has responded to Canada's recent efforts to bolster its military presence in the far north by doing the same.
The two nation's Defence Ministers met this week.
Both countries are awaiting a major international court ruling that will go a long way towards deciding both Canada and Russia's territorial claims in the resource- rich Arctic region.

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/russians-move-bolster-arctic-forces-161815931.html

Ajamil
23rd September 11, 08:07 PM
Link is dead. I search Yahoo for the relevant story and it seems there's a bunch of blogging about a new Cold War over this. Overly hyped or is the Canadian govt. taking this very seriously?

Robot Jesus
23rd September 11, 09:08 PM
works for me.

I think the rangers can handle anything Ivan can throw at them; one riot, one ranger!

OZZ
24th September 11, 11:06 AM
Overly hyped or is the Canadian govt. taking this very seriously?

Arctic Sovereignty a big enough issue that politicians are campaigning about it when elections roll around. They are finally starting to spend real money up there on icebreakers and the like.
I don't think the Canadian government is really worried about things from a defense standpoint..I think the main concern ( and I know that this is my main concern) is the policing of the Northwest Passage and the possibility of an environmental disaster up there if a foreign ship spills some oil or something. The EXXON disaster which took place off the coast of Alaska is on everyone's minds and we don't need a mess like that to deal with.
With the ground softening up and the ice melting , the rights to mining in the region are of huge importance from an economic standpoint.
So yes, its a pretty big issue. But the threat of foreign invasion isn't really the primary concern.

OZZ
9th December 13, 10:05 PM
The North Pole is ours Bitches !!

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/canada-s-claim-to-arctic-riches-includes-the-north-pole-1.2456773

Sinful Jock
9th December 13, 10:31 PM
If by "ours" you mean "we will hold this until MURICA gets here," then yes. It is ours.

Neildo
10th December 13, 01:59 AM
Penguins line in antarctica. We're here for the seals. and we can bash them over the head after. win win.

Sinful Jock
10th December 13, 09:09 AM
Penguins line in antarctica. We're here for the seals. and we can bash them over the head after. win win.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2012/01/24/article-2090960-116D9513000005DC-447_634x346.jpg

Üser Friendly
10th December 13, 09:14 AM
Would USA allow Ivan to invade Canada via Alaska?

resolve
10th December 13, 11:08 AM
If they paid us. It'd be a good way to start getting out of debt!

:P

OZZ
10th December 13, 03:41 PM
Piss on that..we don't want your help. We would get the Brits to help us out.

Sinful Jock
10th December 13, 08:01 PM
Get the Finns. A fellow friendly, frozen country with a history of rather nasty invasion defence sounds just right.