PDA

View Full Version : NHL Season 2011-2012

OZZ
22nd September 11, 02:42 PM
I watched my first Pre-Season game last night between Philly and Toronto. The Flyers are playing the Detroit Red Wings here in London tonight at 7pm. I'm heading down to the block party after I'm done at the gym.

Its been a shitty summer for hockey in many ways, three suicides, a horrible plane crash over in Russia resulting in the deaths of over 40 KHL players and personnel, and the return of Sid The Kid does not appear to be coming anytime soon.
Marc Savard has also retired due to post concussion issues.
I am thinking that an all-out ban on head shots is the way to go. Whether intentional or not - a minimum 2 game suspension needs to be levied from here on in.
The rulebook language on Boarding has also been altered to reflect the new standards regarding ' defenseless' players - a player can be ejected for merely shoving an opposition player who is in a defenseless position head-first into the boards now.
While I like the idea of penalizing players for cheap sots from behind. I hope that the further tightening of the boarding rule does not encourage more guys to turn their backs in the corners in the hopes of avoiding a check. I see too much of that as it is and its bothersome, players who are first to the puck will try and angle themselves so that technically they are in a position where if the opposition attempts any sort of body contact they can be called. The players sometimes try and abuse this and use the rule to their advantage so they can retain possession of the puck without fear of being checked.
This is not only unsportsmanlike and cheap, but its also dangerous. Players need to position themselves so that they are in a position to absorb a bodycheck as often as possible, not turn their backs to a rushing opponent as he comes into the corner to compete for the puck. Turning your back on the opposition is something you do at your own peril, no matter what the rulebook states.
Its getting harder and harder to justify the existence of fighting in the game when the elimination of headshots seems to be the goal. I dread the idea of the NHL without fighting, no matter how infrequent. The pace of the game and its intensity coupled with the possibility of players using sticks instead of fists to settle matters worries me. But I think fighting's days may be numbered.
I also think that if the NHL eliminates it altogether over time - a rival league which allows fighting will probably emerge. It may not last, and it will probably be a shitty league - but I can see it happening.
Anyways..I hope to see Sidney Crosby back soon and lets look forward to a year where the players take responsibility for their actions and start showing some respect to one another. The elimination of headshots and a reduction in the utilization of unneccessarily hard equipment (rules on this are being enforced in the minors and should find their way to the NHL soon) should go a long way toward ensuring a safer game.
It looks like Brendan Shanahan's first order of business will be dealing with this hit last night by Jody Shelley on Darryl Boyce :
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=376445
Look for Brendan to use this incident as a way to send a message to all the players as far as the severity of punishment from here on in for goonish behavior. I expect Shelley, a repeat offender , will likely get 3- 5 games this time around.
A good scrap followed as Jay Rosehill did the right thing and stuck up for his teammate:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6VTWEEUGPM

OZZ
23rd September 11, 10:55 AM
Shelley suspension came down..
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=376445

I'm embarrassed to put this up, but some idiot did a world of damage to our city's reputation last night...
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=376489

If I had been there and seen someone do that I would have followed him out and pounded him.

OZZ
8th October 11, 09:44 AM
First broadcast on HNIC is tonight !
This is my favorite weekend of the year..HNIC starts, its Thanksgiving and my B-Day. Plus the weather is great.
Keep an eye on James Reimer , the goalie for Toronto. He started the year off with a shutout and if he maintains the form he had last year - the Leafs may finally make the post-season.
Look for Crosby to return by November.

OZZ
8th October 11, 10:16 AM
Here's an RIP vid for these two tough Saskatchewan boys :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2Yt3PdWif4

Notice how Boogaard held off on that last opportunity for a rabbit punch ? Respect.

OZZ
11th October 11, 11:19 AM
I don't know how many of you heard about Don's rant the other night regarding ' turncoat ' former enforcers and the mess of a summer that the league had with the three deaths ..but its looking like this might become a serious issue.
http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puck_daddy/post/Ex-NHL-brawlers-threaten-8216-further-recourse?urn=nhl-wp14576
Don could end up having his plug pulled by CBC..

Japuma
12th October 11, 12:07 AM
Cherry's an idiot, why is anyone shocked by this?

OZZ
13th October 11, 06:20 PM
How often do you see Don Cherry on US television Japuma ? You don't watch the HNIC broadcasts , do you ?

Japuma
13th October 11, 08:17 PM
Yeah, we get HNIC on the NHL network down here.

OZZ
15th October 11, 01:01 AM
Here's a big surprise: http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=378075

Mr Glass is out again..
Garth Snow..can you spell BUY OUT ??

Japuma - tell me specifically what it is you don't like about Cherry . How is he an ' idiot ' ? You think he doesn't know hockey ?

Japuma
15th October 11, 08:08 AM
No, I know he knows hockey, he played the game and was able to coach one of the greatest ever in Bobby Orr. He just has a way of putting his foot in his mouth a lot. The thing really that annoys me the most is how he can talk on and on, but never really say anything.

Japuma
15th October 11, 08:17 AM
Oh yeah, plus his hate on Euro players .

OZZ
15th October 11, 11:50 AM
For the most part, Don gets himself into trouble is when he starts talking about things that aren't hockey-related.
The Euro - hate thing has subsided over the years. That really got overblown with all the hate he had for Ulf Samuelsson - but who didn't hate Ulf Samuelsson ?
The knock on Euro players, besides the fact they don't play North-American style hockey, is that they fade down the stretch - and for the most part, its true.
You only need look as far as last year's Cup Final to see an example ( Sedin brothers combined for a mere 1 point in 7 games).

OZZ
25th October 11, 01:49 PM
Close call last night for Chris Pronger, the stick just missed his eye..but he's still expected to miss close to a month. The visor debate will be in full swing again..
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=378857
Vancouver made a trade a few days ago,acquiring David Booth from the Panthers and sending Marco Sturm the other way. Full details :http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=378728
Smart move by Vancouver ( perhaps ) if they can get Booth playing the way he did a few years ago. They are planning on putting him on the same line as Ryan Kesler, whom Booth played with most of his childhood and junior days in the US National Program. If they can get chemistry, the Canucks could greatly improve their second line and it would take some pressure off the Sedin twins.
Unfortunately, Booth's acquisition also comes with a certain amount of risk as he has been vulnerable to concussions ever since the controversial hit delivered by Mike Richards in 2010. Nonetheless, when he is healthy and playing with confidence he is a strong power forward. He doesn't fight, but isn't afraid to get into the corners and go to the net. Going from the cellar-dwelling Panthers to a Cup contender in Vancouver should be decent motivation for him to revive his career and get his numbers back up.
Speaking of the Panthers - keep an eye on rookie goalie Jacob Markstrom : http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/teams/players/bio/?id=6806
Markstrom has been impressive in his two starts this season and has a good track record. This kid posted very respectable numbers in the Swedish Elite league and could be the reason Florida didn't break a sweat about Vokoun leaving as a free agent this past summer.

Biggest Disappointments so far : The Montreal Canadiens at 1-5-2. Also, the Calgary Flames at 2-4-1 are off to a slow start as usual. Every year the Flames are slow out of the gate and the lost points end up costing them at season's end.
I think the Habs are in serious trouble. They have overpaid players that they will have trouble moving if they want to try and shake things up, P.K. Subban , for all his flash and mouthiness, has been terrible defensively and unless Price stands on his head night in and night out - they have absolutely no hope of winning. With no blue chip prospects in the system and underachieving, overpaid players ie. SCOTT GOMEZ ..this organization is in for a long season and will only squeak into the postseason, again ,if they overachieve - again.
Probably why we haven't heard from KOA yet this season..lol
Most pleasant surprises so far : Jaromir Jagr - showing everyone he still has what it takes to be a force in the NHL.The veteran Czech Had a 3-point game last night.
The NYR go 3-2-2 starting the season with a long road trip. They play their first home game later this week. Nice start for the young team . John Tortorella once again shows that he is one of the best at getting the most out of his players and I am predicting he will be a candidate for the Jack Adams trophy this year. Had the young Rangers tanked on this road trip, the points would be lost and it would have been forgiven by many, seeing as they began the year with a tough schedule and have little veteran leadership. But Torts gets his players to work hard and these points could end up being the difference come spring when the last playoff spot in the East is up for grabs. They also have one of the best goalies in the game in Henrik Lundqvist...which always helps !
Phil Kessel is also off to a fantastic start..leading the Toronto Maple Leafs with 15 points. But the Maple Leafs could be in trouble if sophomore goalie James Reimer is out for any extended period of time. He took a shot off the mask and is listed as day-to-day with a ' head injury'. Does that spell concussion ? If so, the boys in TO are going to have a hard time winning with Jonas Gustavsson in goal. He looks like has no confidence whatsoever and is beaten high stick -side on a regular basis. The Leafs don't play as well in front of him as they do when Reimer is in net either, which doesn't help the poor guy. He has been the victim of many strange bounces and flukey goals, but definitely has a few holes in his game that he needs to work on if he wants to play in this league past this season, his contract is up in June.
The Edmonton Oilers (3-2-2) are holding their own so far. I like the looks of this young squad and look forward to watching them whenever they are on TV. Even when they lose, they are fun to watch. Ryan Nugent-Hopkins may have benefited from a season in the minors though, I hope they are not rushing him. He is certainly on fire right now, but its early in the season and rookies always find the long, tough NHL schedule a huge adjustment. But, if he's ready..he's ready, time will tell. So far, so good and he is leading his team in points.
The Boston Bruins are off to a slow start, but its just a bit of the Stanley Cup Hangover and they will be there in the spring.
The Washington Capitals now have a bona fide Number 1 goalie in Tomas Vokoun and Alex Ovechkin seems serious about winning this year. Maybe this will be the year they live up to their potential in the Playoffs.

OZZ
27th October 11, 10:25 AM
* RANT *
Fucking Flyers looked pathetic last night..
Too much BS trying to be cute with the puck, one too many passes and then you get odd-man rushes the other way. The D can't seem to hold the line when Pronger isn't out there..the PP sucks when he's out.
I also saw a lack of physicality that really bothered me. Now that Richards is gone, we've lost a mean hitter that makes people anxious on the ice. I never liked Carcillo much, but at least he would stir things up - he's gone too. The only guy who is really playing Flyers hockey right now is Hartnell , and maybe Simmonds. But Simmonds couldn't finish around the net last night, he missed 2 or 3 wide open nets.
I don't know if I like the new-look Flyers.
That was supposed to be an easy 2 points last night and instead it was a disaster.
Fuck.
Where the fuck are you guys, anyways ? Jeezuz, nobody has anything to say? Man, oh man..am I going to just post news bits and opinion columns all year for people to read ?
Its almost November, maybe when the snow hits the rest of you guys will show up...
* END OF RANT *

Feryk
27th October 11, 10:38 AM
Oilers have been fun to watch this year, but it's Khabibulin's revitalization that is really the story. He's winning games for them.

Edmonton's defense is sketchy. Young, and with potential, but sketchy. Hopefully they firm up as the year progresses. Our forwards are pretty good. They aren't scoring enough yet, but Nugent-Hopkins and Hall are both awesome.

Ryan Smyth is looking to be a hell of a great pickup by Edmonton. He's consistent, and settles the kids down just by playing well regardless of what the score is. I was dubious, but I'm starting to think it was a great move now.

Japuma
28th October 11, 07:52 PM
I wasn't posting until the Caps winning streak was broken annnnnnd.... here I am. Caps killed themselves last night with dumb hooking/slashing penalties. Still, gotta be happy with the way they opened their season. The off-season additions look like good moves, Vokoun is playing pretty lights out (although he's no Quick), Ward and Brouwer look solid and Hamerlik is playing some great D.

The Oilers are going to be no joke in a couple of years (when Nuggent-Hopkins graduates from middle school).

OZZ
3rd November 11, 11:35 AM
It looks like the Toronto Maple Leafs' Jonas Gustavsson is proving me wrong. He's performed admirably in the games he's played since James Reimer went down with an injury. It seems he just needed to get a few game sin and get his confidence back..
The hockey worlds is abuzz with the Alex Ovechkin ' benching ' incident. So Bruce Boudreau decided to let the $9.5 million dollar man sit for the last minute of the game when the Caps were trying to tie the game and force OT - big deal ! The media always makes such a big deal about these things.
If you can read lips, you could clearly see Ovie call his coach a ' motherfucker ' though. He obviously wasn't happy with the decision.

Japuma
3rd November 11, 05:03 PM
I believe it was "Fat fuck". But yeah, not a big deal.

I think Ovi needed a kick in the ass to get him moving again. Hopefully it works.

Feryk
7th November 11, 06:49 PM
Well, Edmonton is leading their division. Wait, what?

Long road trip will be a major test for this team. Six game win streak is over, but as long as they don't start a losing one, it will be a positive. I'm thinking this team has the talent to finish the regular season well. Hopefully the experienced players will keep everyone settled come playoff time.

OZZ
9th November 11, 10:52 PM
Hitch is back in the NHL where he belongs..
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=379994

Some controversy tonight during the Lightning - Flyers game regarding the 1-3-1 system Boucher plays. More on that tommorrow..

OZZ
10th November 11, 12:00 PM
So here's what happened last night...

http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puck_daddy/post/Pass-or-Fail-Flyers-8217-controversial-stall-?urn=nhl-wp17062

While I think the 1-3-1 system is a great way to maintain a lead. I think its ridiculous when Boucher gets the Lightning to employ it in a 0-0 game without using the only man deep to forecheck. If you are protecting a lead, that is one thing..but not making an attempt to generate any offense or force turnovers with a bit of a forecheck in a scoreless game is just lame.
You can't argue with this style of play's effectiveness. Its very difficult to penetrate - as evidenced by Tampa's playoff run last spring.
I don't know that the Flyers coaching staff took the right approach by refusing to move the puck forward..but the Lightning's boring, stifling tactics have drawn the ire of just about every coach in the league. I think its Tampa that will draw the criticism of most insiders more than the Flyers will for this form of 'protest'.
NHL'ers hate playing the Lightning and most fans think they are boring to watch - while Philly is currently the highest-scoring team in the league.
The Neutral Zone trap became the focal point for boring hockey in the 90's - now its the 1-3-1 that's coming under fire.
There's an NHL GM's meeting in a week..look for this to be a hotbutton topic.
The damn Lightning won the game in OT too..which really pissed me off after all the hoopla.

Japuma
10th November 11, 09:18 PM
http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc262/japuma630/lightningtrap.jpg

Nasreal
11th November 11, 04:20 PM
HAHAHA +1 for Japuma. I didn't get to see this game, but I heard about it. Fucking annoying style of play, and then the Flyers lost. Sad day. But oh well, at least the Flyers are really fun for me to watch when I can actually see the games.

Feryk
13th November 11, 02:45 PM
The only reason Tampa would play that system this early in the year, and during a 0-0 tie is because they don't have confidence in their forwards. Odd, given who their forwards are.

In other weird hockey stats news, the Oilers have the fewest goals against in the league. Good thing, because their Goals For are an anemic 36, yet they lead the division. Who the HELL would've thought the Oilers would win with team defense? Part of the reason is Khabibulin having a career year so far, the other part is a ridiculous number of blocked shots.

I'll admit I'm confused.

Btw, did anyone see Lucic's hit on Miller?

OZZ
13th November 11, 08:46 PM
Btw, did anyone see Lucic's hit on Miller?
Yes, I did..
The Bruins throw their weight around a lot when they think they can get away with it.
Lucic is a monster...I'd love to have him on Philly.

Early broadcast next Saturday on HNIC - I get to see Philly vs the Jets at 3pm . Yay!

OZZ
14th November 11, 10:00 AM
Here's some more fallout from the Lucic hit on Miller :
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=380383

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=380330

I see it like this, with the newer rules - you cannot do what Lucic did. I used to be in favor of the idea that if a goalie leaves the crease, he's fair game. And I still am, sort of..because you can't have goalies coming out and playing the puck with impunity. Especially nowadays when a lot of goalies have decent puckhandling skills.
Back in the 70's and 80's and even in the early 90's - goalies didn't come out and play the puck unless they were willing to put themselves at risk ( think Ron Hextall, Eddie Belfour). Then something happened, goalies started getting good at handling the puck. It became an essential skill for netminders. So what does the NHL do? They put the fucking trapezoid into effect to limit their handling of the puck. Supposedly, to increase goal scoring because fans were so starved for offense.
Under the current rules, the hit on Miller was wrong and Lucic deserves to receive discipline.
What's even more wrong is the lack of reaction by the Sabres bench. Gutless ! You let your goalie get run like that ?? How much do you want to bet the Sabres call up a heavyweight from the AHL for their next meeting with Boston - if not before.This incident is just more evidence that every team needs a policeman on the bench. When you don't have a Colton Orr or a George Parros - teams will take liberties. Lucic was fucking smirking about it afterwards.
Having said that, I do think that goalies ought to be fair game if they come out too far. They aren't made of glass - well, except maybe Rick DiPietro lol
BUT - under the current rules they are not fair game - end of story.
I think the rule should be changed and things have to be made clear to the netminders so they know where they stand, then only the braver one's will come out if they know they run the risk of getting smoked.
In short - get rid of the trapezoid, get rid of the rule that disallows contact with a goalie if he comes out too far and GET A GODDAMN ENFORCER.

Feryk
15th November 11, 10:59 AM
Shanahan isn't going to punish Lucic. Means that the goalies are going to stay put from here on out.

Aren't fourth line players SUPPOSED to go out and spear the fuck out of an asshole like Lucic when he acts up? You don't need to be an enforcer, just take the damn suspension.

OZZ
15th November 11, 11:04 AM
Mark November 23 rd on your calendar. That's the next time the Sabres and Bruins play one another..you can bet there will be fireworks.

In the meantime, he's a nice little article on Eddie the Eagle - one of my favorite goalies of all time.
http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/nhl/news?slug=nc-cotsonika-belfour_enters_hall_of_fame_111411

He was inducted into the Hall of Fame the other night along with Mark Howe, Dougie Gilmour and Joe Nieuwendyk.

Here's his induction speech and a career retrospective:
http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/console?catid=53&id=135065

http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/console?catid=53&id=135065

Pretty awesome for a guy who wasn't even drafted.

Feryk
15th November 11, 11:40 AM
Eddie was Edmonton's nemesis for years. He played as long as he did because he was religious about his stretching and conditioning. Guy was better at 40 than at 30. Who else can say that?

OZZ
21st November 11, 01:02 AM
Sid The Kid is coming back 2morrow nite !
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=380912

OZZ
22nd November 11, 11:46 AM
Its great to have THE KID back !
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=380995
He hasn't lost a step and looked great last night in a 2G 2A performance. They had a special broadcast on CBC last night so I was able to watch it.

KO'd N DOA
22nd November 11, 12:38 PM
Biggest Disappointments so far : The Montreal Canadiens at 1-5-2. Also, the Calgary Flames at 2-4-1 are off to a slow start as usual. Every year the Flames are slow out of the gate and the lost points end up costing them at season's end.
I think the Habs are in serious trouble. They have overpaid players that they will have trouble moving if they want to try and shake things up, P.K. Subban , for all his flash and mouthiness, has been terrible defensively and unless Price stands on his head night in and night out - they have absolutely no hope of winning. With no blue chip prospects in the system and underachieving, overpaid players ie. SCOTT GOMEZ ..this organization is in for a long season and will only squeak into the postseason, again ,if they overachieve - again.
Probably why we haven't heard from KOA yet this season..lol

Bastard. I missed that one. Busy this year. HABs get Sid the Kid this weekend, so tickets will be at a premium, lucky us. http://www.montrealgazette.com/sports/Scott+Gomez+This+whole+thing+surreal/5741545/story.html

Gomez, our beloved sharp shooter is 40 regular season without a goal, 47 if you include playoffs. Maybe he is secretly dating Underwood.

OZZ
23rd November 11, 12:19 AM
Yes, but the Habs are doing OK. A bit better than I predicted.
So far...
Gomez has got to go.

OZZ
24th November 11, 01:15 AM
Last night was the first meeting between Buffalo and Boston since the Lucic hit on Miller :
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=381159

Check out the game highlights, Buffalo made an attempt to atone. Its kinda tough when you have to deal with Lucic and Chara.
Looks like it was a good game.

KO'd N DOA
24th November 11, 12:50 PM
I was not the enforcer on my team, back a ways, way too small. My revenge however was more convincing. The guy who had fought our goliee trapped my stick between his legs. I promise you he never did trapped a stick like that again...or even had kids.

Feryk
24th November 11, 07:24 PM
Only penalties I ever got as a kid were for lifting opposing players over the boards to dump them in a snowbank. This is accomplished by a stick to the crotch.

Yes, I played outside. In Winnepeg. At -30 Celsius.

So, really, a stick to the crotch was about the only thing you would feel anymore.

OZZ
24th November 11, 09:18 PM
I played a lot of outdoor hockey growing up too..but never in -30 degree weather. Maybe -10 or -12..
Since I was a goalie in organized hockey, I never really had to worry about fighting. Although I did have one scrap during a line brawl in Pee Wee that was memorable.
For the most part though, I defended my crease with vigor and let the D take care of the scrapping.
Speaking of goalies..check this story out:
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=381187

Feryk
26th November 11, 11:14 AM
You played in -10 or -12 because you live in Ontario and are therefore a giant pansy.

Play in the bald ass praries, motherfucker. -30 with blowing snow just means you shovel halfway between periods and worry about fractures AFTER the game when you've warmed up enough to feel them.

If you think I'm kidding, you never REALLY played hockey in Canada. Today's kids are spoiled with all their indoor rinks and medical care.

OZZ
26th November 11, 11:54 AM
Hey there Alberta-Bitch ..I''l have you know I got frostbite playing outdoors and know damn well what it feels like gettin' up at 6 am to water the ice on an outdoor rink.
Actually, one of the best times was when a huge pool of water froze in a nearby field and we just set up nets and played on there. The ice was nice and smooth , courtesy of a fierce SW Ontario wind the night before.
The spontaneous stuff is always the best.

OZZ
28th November 11, 01:06 PM
Hot off the press...
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=381460

We will miss Dale Hunter here in London. He and his family have done a fabulous job with the OHL's London Knights.
He's won a Memorial Cup as coach of the Knights, now he wants to win the Stanley Cup that eluded him as a player.
Boudreau was never a very good coach in my opinion.

Japuma
28th November 11, 01:31 PM
Well... I guess we'll see if Dale can get Ovi and the boys straightened up. Time for some hard love.

OZZ
3rd December 11, 06:01 PM
Both the Caps and the Oilers ( among others) need to win tonight for my Pro Line ticket to come through.
$128 on a $3 bet

OZZ
5th December 11, 01:48 PM
It looks like its still open-season on Ryan Miller
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=382008

Vid
http://watch.tsn.ca/nhl/#clip579326

Will the Sabres just get an enforcer already ??

OZZ
5th December 11, 09:37 PM
Oh, and its official, Re Alignment is coming with a new 4 Conference format :
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=382065

OZZ
9th December 11, 12:22 PM
MLSE has some new owners...
http://ca.finance.yahoo.com/news/Bell-Rogers-team-buy-75-per-capress-1095435393.html?x=0

OZZ
13th December 11, 10:52 PM
In more bad news..
Both Sidney Crosby and current points leader Claude Giroux are out with concussion -like symptoms:
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=382646

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=382666

Minnesota is the top team in the NHL right now. Who would have thought that ?
I also read an article in THE HOCKEY NEWS the other day that virtually guaranteed another NHL team is coming to the GTA according to insiders. There is a group of millionaires just waiting for a bit more reassurance from the league , and they have the plans for an NHL-size rink all set to go.
There is just too much money to be made for it NOT to happen.
The Maple Leafs monopoly over SW Ontario is coming to an end within the next decade. Of course, this will mean MLSE will surrender their territorial rights and be in for a big payday in doing so. Probably hundreds of millions of dollars over a period of years.

OZZ
15th December 11, 12:28 PM
The rash of concussions , or, more accurately stated, the rash of players on the shelf with concussion-like symptoms, has me wondering : Has the league gone too far with this concussion thing?
Along with Crosby, Giroux, and Pronger..now we can add two more premiere players to the list
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=382737
It seems like two players a day are being taken out of the lineup with concussion-like symptoms. Are the trainers pushing the panic button a bit fast and pulling guys out unnecessarily? Perhaps not, but it makes you wonder when every time you watch the sports news someone else is out with ' concussion-like symptoms '. Notice the terminology, nobody wants to say concussion unless it is a virtual certainty that the player is going to be out for an extended period of time. So if a player has a headache, is this reason enough to pull him out of the lineup?
I don't want guys getting hurt and I'm all for player safety..but you have to question whether some of the trainers/team doctors are being a bit overcautious.
The weird thing about this latest rash of injuries is that three of them were freak accidents (Crosby, Giroux and Michalek) where two players on the same team collided with one another.
The game is being played at such a fast pace now and the players are so strong and athletic its a virtual certainty that when two guys hit each other at full speed, one of them or both of them is going to get their bell rung.
The movement is on to get the players back to wearing softer shoulder and elbow pads like they had in the old days. But that is only half of the solution. The nature of the game has changed so much since the lockout that we have to start looking at other things as well.
Here's one suggestion the panel on TSN was rapping about the other day that I agree with - get rid of the trapezoid rule and start letting goalies handle the puck behind the red line again. This will cut down on the number of injuries sustained by players colliding at the end boards after racing for the puck. When goalies can play the puck up the ice, there isn't as much smashing and crashing behind the net after a dump-in.
Another thing, and this really has nothing to do with the 'new game', so to speak, but its long overdue - institute the no-touch icing so we don't have these races for the puck where guys smash into the boards at full speed. The potential 'excitement' such a play creates is not worth the terrible injuries some players are sustaining.
With so many high-profile players out at once for the same thing, you can't help but take notice and one has to start asking questions about the severity and nature of these 'concussion-like symptoms'.
Another question that needs asking - are players who may be on the bubble and a bad game or three away from being sent to the minors as likely to report 'concussion-like symptoms' to the team's trainers and/or doctors as players with a healthy salary whose roster spot is assured ?
Something to think about.

OZZ
16th December 11, 11:27 AM
Prongs is gone for the entire season..
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=382826

Unfortunately, the Flyers have become used to playing without him, so it won't really affect the team on the ice that much.
Morale, on the other hand, is another issue.
I hope he gets well and is able to come back next year.

OZZ
24th December 11, 11:18 AM
Flyers lost to the Rangers in a game that nicely sets up the Winter Classic.
I don't get HBO so I haven't been able to watch the series leading up to the annual New Year's Day game..has anyone been watching it ?
I think the Flyers are realizing what a bust Bryzgalov is..he is being outplayed by Bobrovsky and shows no signs whatsoever of being a game-stealer or even being able to come up with a big save when needed to change momentum. This guy is a loser, I can feel it. It won't be long before he and his ridiculous salary are buried in the minors.
WJHC starts in 2 days - Hallelujah !

Japuma
24th December 11, 02:21 PM
The HBO series is really good. Bryz is the star of the show, that dude is fucking out there.

OZZ
30th December 11, 11:29 AM
Feryk...you've got the WJHC out there this year. Are you going to any games ?

OZZ
2nd January 12, 11:56 AM
Montreal..not the greatest place to play right now. They are slumping big-time and its boiling over in the dressing room:
http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/nhl/news?slug=capress-hkn_canadiens_fight-16173589

Winter Classic has been changed from 1pm start time to 3pm today.
Go Flyers !

OZZ
2nd January 12, 06:16 PM
I'm extremely disappointed. That is two Winter Classic games where the Flyers had the lead and ended up losing.
It will be years before they get another chance to play in one.
Fuck !!
I'm not buying a Winter Classic jersey, no fucking way. I was going to purchase one this year too..not now.
I'm really pissed off.

Japuma
3rd January 12, 11:42 AM
I'm extremely disappointed. That is two Winter Classic games where the Flyers had the lead and ended up losing.
It will be years before they get another chance to play in one.
Fuck !!
I'm not buying a Winter Classic jersey, no fucking way. I was going to purchase one this year too..not now.
I'm really pissed off.

And they couldn't even capitalize on all the opportunities the refs were giving them...

NoBowie
3rd January 12, 07:55 PM
'Goon' actually looks like a good movie.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1456635/

(http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1456635/)xxbd31AQSuQ

OZZ
5th January 12, 02:54 PM
Yeah, Goon has been getting good reviews...

Further on the issue of goons and their place in the game, the Toronto Maple Leafs' enforcer Colton Orr was sent to the AHL today:
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=384292

I think Burke has a point, but the thing he is probably most upset about is the fact that he signed Orr to far too big of a contract.
Fighters still have their place, but they cannot be one-dimensional thugs anymore. They must be able to keep pace with the newer, faster game.

KO'd N DOA
5th January 12, 04:00 PM
I argued with you Ozz earlier this year, but...looks like you were right. My team sucks. But just note that it is perfectly fine in this hockey town to love and hate your team at the same time. Hiring an english only coach was the best middle finger management could have given to Quebec. My janitor when on about that forever. LOL

Feryk
5th January 12, 04:08 PM
Sorry Ozz, was gone for the holidays. I didn't get to any games. Tickets were basically gone a year in advance, and even though I have connections to get tickets, I just wanted to spend time with my family this year.

OZZ
6th January 12, 11:46 AM
The tickets were grossly overpriced from what I heard..

Here's an interesting article, confirming what many of us already knew :
http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/nhl/news?slug=capress-hkn_jim_litke_010512-16206611

Nasreal
7th January 12, 03:14 PM
Finally get to watch a game and now we're losing to the fuckin senators. Ugh, and Bryzgalov is looking unimpressive as usual.

Nasreal
7th January 12, 03:46 PM
Maybe I spoke too soon, still I hate OT. I should talk shit on Bryz more often, now he's lookin good haha. And say what you will about that guy, but he's got style, his mask is pretty awesome and he's playin with some sweet looking retro style equipment.

Nasreal
7th January 12, 03:50 PM
Bahahahaha suck it ottowa, Danny briere wins the game with a hat trick. The only player to score in the whole game, and he won it with 5 seconds left. AND he wailed on Terris too! Hahahaha

OZZ
9th January 12, 09:14 PM
Nasreal...you need to post more. You can never have too many Flyers fans on an open forum.

Brad Marchand got 5 games for doing a submarine job on Salo the other day.He's a fucking little weasel :
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=384636

Nasreal
9th January 12, 11:48 PM
Nasreal...you need to post more. You can never have too many Flyers fans on an open forum.

Brad Marchand got 5 games for doing a submarine job on Salo the other day.He's a fucking little weasel :
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=384636I saw that shit, that was fuck in dirty. I seem to remember Scott Stevens (fuck you Scott Stevens) giving Lindros a concussion that way, way back when I first started watchin hockey as a little kid.

OZZ
10th January 12, 05:31 AM
Scott Stevens hit on Lindros was a head-shot...I was watching that playoff game live when it happened. He delivered a forearm-to-the-head ..under today's rules he would be suspended.
Marchand's hit was different in nature, but the same insofar as it was predatory and done with intent to injure.
If you watch the entire shift, you see what was happening beforehand. Salo and Marchand were jostling, Salo threw a clean, shoulder-to-shoulder bodycheck and Marchand didn't like it. So the next time Salo came at him he ducked low and took him out at the knees.
Sort of like an old-fashioned hip check.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGD5DbljtfE
He did the same thing last year in the playoffs to someone else. That little weasel needs to get knocked out.

OZZ
10th January 12, 05:43 AM
Don't get me wrong..I actually like Scott Stevens, the guy was as fierce a blueliner as I've ever seen. MOST of the time, his hits were clean...but on the Lindros hit he targeted the head and you can see it when you watch it in slow motion.
However, Lindros shouldn't have been trying to cross the blueline with his head down, especially since he had just returned from a long layoff with a concussion he sustained via Darius Kasparitus - which was a clean, shoulder-to-chest bodycheck :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7U7jUbKQYdw
Here's a clip of some of Stevens' most infamous hits:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7U7jUbKQYdw

Nasreal
10th January 12, 10:37 AM
Scott Stevens hit on Lindros was a head-shot...I was watching that playoff game live when it happened. He delivered a forearm-to-the-head ..under today's rules he would be suspended.
Marchand's hit was different in nature, but the same insofar as it was predatory and done with intent to injure.
If you watch the entire shift, you see what was happening beforehand. Salo and Marchand were jostling, Salo threw a clean, shoulder-to-shoulder bodycheck and Marchand didn't like it. So the next time Salo came at him he ducked low and took him out at the knees.
Sort of like an old-fashioned hip check.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGD5DbljtfE
He did the same thing last year in the playoffs to someone else. That little weasel needs to get knocked out.Yeah that was totally intended to do harm on marchand's part. Don't know why I remember the same kind of thing happening on some flyer, I thought it was lindros, but I was like 9 when I started watching hockey so....that was a while ago.

OZZ
15th January 12, 11:32 AM
Ok KOA ..tell us what you think of the Camillieri trade.
Good ? Too quick ?
Once again the media plays the villain, but makes the player look like the villain. Whatever he said, he said it in confidence and someone ratted him out.
Bet on it.

KO'd N DOA
16th January 12, 02:21 PM
Borque is sorta a quebecer. It is to placate the masses. Camillieri was told between the 2nd and 3rd period, so harsh.

I am proud that he didn't apologize, but said the media is trying to create a story for themselves, because in 12th position, 4 off of making the playoffs, things were not going well.

They won last night, so it might be a catalist. They will not make the playoffs. I am not even going to follow it.

lant3rn
16th January 12, 02:30 PM
habs need a 40 goal scorer, untill that happens every trade is basically a bad one.

and this season is basically dead to me, i'll just cheer for the jets a bit and hope boston loses.

KO'd N DOA
16th January 12, 02:39 PM
, i'll just cheer for the jets a bit and hope boston loses.

Seconded.
This is a great plan.

NoBowie
23rd January 12, 02:31 PM
http://i1143.photobucket.com/albums/n624/Egg_NoB/QPFgK.jpg

OZZ
24th January 12, 10:41 PM
Tim Thomas is in hot water over his recent comments about the US government:
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=385984

In other news - Ovechkin is sitting out the All-Star game this weekend as a sort of protest over what he feels is an unwarranted suspension.
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/

Ovie's hit was definitely charging..but I don't think he was aiming for the head.

KO'd N DOA
25th January 12, 10:41 AM
I'm sitting this allstar game out as well.

Why can't millionairs have political opinions?

OZZ
25th January 12, 01:20 PM
Here's an article from the Boston Globe:
http://www.boston.com/sports/hockey/bruins/articles/2012/01/25/tim_thomass_white_house_snub_no_surprise_to_bruins/?page=1

As far as the All-Star Game ..who gives a shit ? I never watch it..its nothing but a cash grab for the league and its not even a real game because there's no checking.
I watch the Skills Competition the day before, but that's it.
Works out good this year, since there's no game on Saturday night we can go to a movie instead..we'll go see The Grey with Liam Neeson, that looks good.

KO'd N DOA
25th January 12, 01:52 PM
Skills comp use to be fun, but my TV gets beat up everytime Chara come on. Why he never got charged for assult in MTL is beyond me.

OZZ
28th January 12, 11:45 AM
Well, All-Star weekend is upon us ,so I guess that means its time for my mid-season evaluation/rant concerning all things NHL.

WTF is up with the New York Islanders ?? Can any franchise in the last decade set the standard for futility more than these guys ? Poor John Tavares has been initiated as the savior of the franchise with the league's oldest building and he has very little in the way of help, especially in regards to veteran leadership. You have to give the kid credit for sticking it out and not demanding a trade..he's on a great pace this season with 49 pts in 48 gp. He's also evening out his game and becoming an-all around star instead of just a point-getter.
Who would have thought the New York Rangers would be second overall in the league at the All-Star break ? ME..that's who ! Remember last season how I was touting the excellent job John Tortorella was doing in the Big Apple and how I expected good things from them this season ? Its tough being right all the time...What's the secret to their success? Well, besides having a coach who knows how to get the most out of his players, they have a very balanced attack. Everyone contributes and shares the ice time; coupled with the fact that Henrik Lundqvist is probably the league's best goalie makes the Rangers a good bet to do some damage in the playoffs this year. Especially if Brad Richards can play up to expectations - which he hasn't done so far :33 pts in 47 gp @$6.7m per season = not good enough.
Does anyone else thing the Boston Bruins are going to repeat as champions ? Unless a team comes along that can match their physical intensity - they very well may. I hate them , but I sure as hell wish the Philadelphia Flyers had that kind of goaltending to go with a tough team presence.
Why do I continue to be unimpressed with the Detroit Red Wings who sit atop the Central with 67 points ? Is it just because we've all become accustomed to them leading the NHL during the regular season, but falling short in the playoffs ? Will this year be any different ? I think not..
Biggest surprises so far this season ? The St.Louis Blues with 65 points and the Florida Panthers at 55pts actually in range of a post-season berth, which would be their first in over ten years..hard to believe Pavel Bure was playing for them back then.
As for Canadian teams..the only teams that are going to the playoffs this year are the Vancouver Canucks, Ottawa Senators and possibly the Toronto Maple Leafs. I'm thinking the Buds will squeak in and may even ride their fan base's enthusiasm to a first-round upset.As long as they aren't facing the Bruins, that is..
Watch for the Canucks to keep Roberto Luongo on a much shorter leash this playoff year..if he falters, Cory Schneider will be given the reins and he won't be put in for only one game this time. If Vancouver wants to win the Stanley Cup..it may very well mean that their superstar-who-chokes-under-pressure will have to ride the pine in the latter part of the post-season.
Boy, the Washington Capitals have sure lost steam after a good start..what the hell is wrong with Alex Ovechkin anyways ?? Guess what, Ovie...that little dipsy-doodle-and-let-a-wrister go after crossing the blue line is old hat. You can't score goals that way anymore. Ovechkin should take a look at how Sidney Crosby rounded out his game and improved over the years..
More later..

OZZ
30th January 12, 01:18 PM
Hardest shot on the weekend. - Zdeno Chara beat his previous record with an impressive 108.8 mph slapshot.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGssZoNz4HQ
Shea Weber managed a 106.0 slapper on his best shot of the day.
While you can't deny the greatness of such a feat..one has to wonder how much the modern era players are benefiting from the new carbon fiber sticks..additionally, Chara's height gives him an incredible amount of leverage.
I've stood in front of shots that were in excess of 80mph..but nothing in the 100mph range. It must take nerves of steel..no matter how great your equipment is.
I'm sure that in the record books, those set with carbon fiber sticks will have an asterisk beside them.
Bobby Hull set the mark for excellence in 1965 with a 118.3 mph shot, and most old timers you talk to you will tell you that he had the hardest shot ever, bar none.
Other hard shooters include Gordie Howe, whose ' wrist-slapper ' ( the stick only came less than a foot off the ice in his windup) was clocked at 114 mph, the Big M - Frank Mahovolich fired at 110 on a regular basis and Tim Horton could shoot at speeds of 112 mph on his best days.
There was also the Russian KHL player, Dennis Kulyash, who apparently clocked in at 110.3 mph last year..
Al Macinnis regularly shot at around 104 mph and was the hardest shooter of my generation..while Ray Bourque was widely regarded as the most accurate shooter and cleaned up every year in that contest.
There is debate about the older records validity because the technology to record the speed was not as foolproof as it is today. But I am betting that todays' measuring tools aren't that much better and Bobby Hull had the hardest shot ever.
Old timers usually know what they are talking about.

KO'd N DOA
30th January 12, 02:44 PM
I tried the link, but thankfully my Chara filter has it blocked.
What a relief.

C'mon Habs. You beat Detroit...now get a move on.

Nasreal
31st January 12, 06:59 PM
Jagr is back on the ice tonight, hopefully I get to see a win, with my schedule I hardly ever get to watch hockey.

KO'd N DOA
3rd February 12, 02:23 PM
Sam Gangne

OZZ
4th February 12, 04:02 PM
Sam Gangne

Yes..Gagne tied an Edmonton Oilers team record held by Wayne Gretzky( and Paul Coffey) the other night with 4G and 4A in a single game for an 8 point night.
Never liked Paul Coffey.He is perhaps the most overrated defenseman in NHL history.

KO'd N DOA
5th February 12, 10:21 AM
I saw the leafs vs Sens last night cuz bored. 49 shots and shut out? leafs will burn goliee out by playoffs.

OZZ
5th February 12, 12:16 PM
Yeah..it was a good game by Toronto.Most of those shots were perimeter shots, so the numbers are a bit misleading.
James Reimer is finding his form again.

NoBowie
10th February 12, 11:49 PM
http://i1143.photobucket.com/albums/n624/Egg_NoB/aGKUIl.jpg

OZZ
15th February 12, 09:30 AM
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=387853

Who cares ?
The Philadelphia Flyers still hold the record for longest OVERALL unbeaten streak in NHL history at 35 straight games.
None of this ' our barn ' crap.

Spade: The Real Snake
15th February 12, 10:30 AM
So it's looking like we are gonna lose the 'Yotes to the Commie Pinkos in Satanattle.

OZZ
15th February 12, 11:18 AM
Seattle has an arena and its a viable market.
Kansas City has an arena..but it already failed once there and no ownership group has stepped up.
Quebec City has no arena - yet.
Toronto is going to get a 2nd team within 5 years. They are already building an arena. But that will come via expansion, not relocation.
Hamilton is ..well, Hamilton. They are never taken seriously by the NHL.

OZZ
16th February 12, 12:39 PM
So the trade deadline is coming up..
Some pretty big names are being thrown around this year , actually here are some players that could be on the move :
Rick Nash
Jeff Carter
Teemu Selanne
Hal Gill
Patrick Kane
Steve Downie
Pavel Kubina
Shea Weber

Why the hell Columbus would want to part with their franchise player is beyond me. Nash has been really good about things with them, suffering through several miserable seasons and only one playoff berth. He hasn't demanded a trade and is still putting up points, but the losing has got to be getting tiresome by now. I can understand getting rid of Carter, because he isn't happy there and isn't playing up to what he should be given his salary.I know the Blue Jackets desperately need goaltending help( Steve Mason is not the franchise goalie they thought they had and may find himself in the minors or relegated to a permanent backup role somewhere else very soon) but if they are going to rebuild and Nash is willing to stay, they should keep him.
I know there are teams salivating at the prospect of getting Weber at the deadline..but I don't think he will be moved if the Preds are going to make the playoffs, he is too valuable. They may trade another one of their stud d-men though..
Kubina is one the move for sure..
Hal Gill is getting older, but he's an experienced veteran with a TON of playoff experience and there are a lot of teams inquiring about him. P.K. Subban's name has also been mentioned, but I don't think he is going anywhere. Montreal may squeak in yet..but only if Price steals at least 10 games for them.
The Hawks are struggling a bit, but the Kane rumors may be overblown. I'd trade him in a second, but that's because I would have no problem shuffling an American-Born hockey player lol
Selanne would be a nice rental player, the Ducks aren't going to make any noise in the playoffs so why not trade him for a prospect ? I would..
The Oilers may look to shed some salary since they aren't going to participate in the playoffs, again. But don't expect any of the big names to go anywhere, or Ryan Smythe either - he will finish his career in Edmonton.
Tampa may shake things up and make a push for a playoff spot. Steve Downie is a good player and he could be moved.
Philly wants to lock up a d-man for the playoffs and there are rumors of a trade with Toronto involving JVR http://flyers.nhl.com/club/player.html and Luke Schenn. I say go for Jake Gardiner http://mapleleafs.nhl.com/club/search.htm?q=jake+gardiner who is less of a cap hit and has a tremendous upside. that kid is going to be a great player and is already very dependable for a young defenseman.
Nash will likely end up in New York , because everybody wants to play there at least part of their career and the rangers are determined to be a player in this year's quest for the Cup.

OZZ
17th February 12, 10:41 AM
So it's looking like we are gonna lose the 'Yotes to the Commie Pinkos in Satanattle.

Here's a link:http://ca.news.yahoo.com/arthur-hockey-secondary-seattle-arena-020735707.html

I thought their arena was up to date..but I guess not.

OZZ
18th February 12, 06:54 PM
Another pathetic performance by Ilya Bryzgalov
Pulled after allowing 3 goals on 18 shots..this is turning out to be a disastrous signing by Paul Holmgren. You would think NHL GM's would know better than to sign enigmatic Russians to long-term deals. Actually, has there ever been a Russian signed to a long-term deal for big money that panned out ? Alexi Yashin - NOT. Pavel Bure - NOT! Alex Mogilny - NOT ! All of them underperformed after making huge cake and laughed all the way to the bank.
The worst part about Bryzgalov is that he doesn't really care about winning.. and this is just his first season in a 9 YEAR DEAL !!
Awful, just awful..they might as well just bury him in the minors or buy him out now because this is a complete bust.
Homer could have signed Vokoun for less and he wasn't even looking for a long-term deal. This is just a goddamn nightmare...

OZZ
20th February 12, 12:04 PM
Boy..this is going to be one lame-ass thread come playoff time.
- Feryk's team isn't going to qualify, even though they are fun to watch
- Lantern and KOA are going to be reminiscing about all the Cups their team won in the 70's while their team sits out (most likely)
- Japuma is never around
- Nasreal is never around
- FFF is never around anymore to boost the Red Wings

BOOOO !

Anyways, Philly has traded for two quality defensemen in the past two weeks,scoring Pavel Kubina from the Lightning and another steady blueliner in Nicholas Grossman from Dallas. At least Holmgren is trying to do something to offset the loss of Pronger..but it won't mean anything if Bryzgalov doesn't perform in the playoffs.

KO'd N DOA
20th February 12, 02:39 PM
Another pathetic performance by Ilya Bryzgalov
Pulled after allowing 3 goals on 18 shots..this is turning out to be a disastrous signing by Paul Holmgren. You would think NHL GM's would know better than to sign enigmatic Russians to long-term deals. Actually, has there ever been a Russian signed to a long-term deal for big money that panned out ? Alexi Yashin - NOT. Pavel Bure - NOT! Alex Mogilny - NOT ! All of them underperformed after making huge cake and laughed all the way to the bank.
The worst part about Bryzgalov is that he doesn't really care about winning.. and this is just his first season in a 9 YEAR DEAL !!
Awful, just awful..they might as well just bury him in the minors or buy him out now because this is a complete bust.
Homer could have signed Vokoun for less and he wasn't even looking for a long-term deal. This is just a goddamn nightmare...

Don't forget the 4.5 million a year eternal coaster Алексей Вячеславович Ковалёв, (kovalev) the stupid lazy sod.

KO'd N DOA
20th February 12, 02:41 PM
- Lantern and KOA are going to be reminiscing about all the Cups their team won in the 70's while their team sits out (most likely)
- Japuma is never around

BOOOO !

I am going to cheer for someone else if my team doesn't make it. However the montreal miracle is on its way.

Nasreal
22nd February 12, 12:10 AM
- Japuma is never around

BOOOO !

Anyways, Philly has traded for two quality defensemen in the past two weeks,scoring Pavel Kubina from the Lightning and another steady blueliner in Nicholas Grossman from Dallas. At least Holmgren is trying to do something to offset the loss of Pronger..but it won't mean anything if Bryzgalov doesn't perform in the playoffs.Yeah, sorry I haven't posted in a bit OZZ, school is nuts as I'm graduating in May. Anyways, I love picking up Grossman, he's a monster in terms of size and real solid. I'm watching a replay of tonight's game against The Jets even though I know the Flyers won. I honestly have only been able to watch like 4 hockey games this whole season. I work a shift that goes from 3-11:30pm...that means I NEVER get to watch :/.

On Bryzgalov, I'm so sick of disappointing goaltending on the Flyers I don't have words, this blows. This guy better shape up or he's gonna get boo'd by the hometown fans whenever he takes the ice at the wells Fargo center, not mentioning that we need a solid goal minder if we want to go anywhere in the post season. It really blows when you hardly get to watch, and when you DO there is one player's piss poor performance dragging the whole team down.

OZZ
24th February 12, 11:09 AM
Hey, don't apologize bro..the world's a lot bigger than this wasteland..
Big trade yesterday evening :
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=388691

Carter and Richards are together again. That could be good, but it also could be bad if they start drinking together again like they were in Philly. That's why Homer wanted rid of them, they wouldn't stop partying all the time.

Hey Nas, I know what you mean. I don't get to see the Flyers very often and usually rely on internet radio. However, this Saturday they will be on CBC's late game because they are in Calgary to take on the Flames. After a poor showing last night against the Oilers, I expect a good game from them on the weekend.

Nasreal
24th February 12, 11:13 AM
Hey, don't apologize bro..the world's a lot bigger than this wasteland..
Big trade yesterday evening :
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=388691

Carter and Richards are together again. That could be good, but it also could be bad if they start drinking together again like they were in Philly. That's why Homer wanted rid of them, they wouldn't stop partying all the time.That is interesting, personally I hope they dont screw up again too.

OZZ
25th February 12, 06:29 AM
Detroit's big home-winning streak is over...
http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/alex-burrows-ends-red-wings-home-winning-streak-044307161.html

OZZ
26th February 12, 10:55 AM
On a rare trip to the West Coast, the Flyers were on CBC last night against Calgary.
I was looking forward to this game for two weeks and when it started I was smacking my skull in frustration. Bryz let in two soft goals on the first two shots..fuck.
But to his credit, and the team..they came back and won the game 5-4 in a shootout. A shootout in which, I have to admit, Bryzgalov performed exceptionally well. It went to the fifth round and he only allowed 1G showing tremendous patience in facing the shooters and waiting them out.
His problem is his glove hand - he has no glove hand and shooters around the league realize it. This needs to be improved come playoff time.
Scott Hartnell had 2G and was the guest on After Hours, he's from Regina and had a big following at the game. Actually, there were a lot of Philly fans at that game.
Nas, have you heard about hat charity he's got going ? Hartnell Down ? Check it out online..he's a really good guy and comes to play every night. If all the Flyers worked as hard as he does we would be on the road to another Cup for sure.
Overall observations on the Flyers play. I saw a lot of poor puck-decisions, bad passes, giveaways, trying to make the outlet pass without enough steam on the puck..shit like that. It feels like without Pronger, this team is lacking a stabilizing force. Jagr still works the old magic sometimes, but his passes are just a tad slower than they were in his prime. He is still one of the hardest players to knock off the puck though.
Kubina looked good last night and should help on the D.
Giroux is technically the new leader..but he's still pretty young. Pronger's veteran presence is definitely missed out there.
I'm very impressed with the play of Wayne Simmonds, he is strong, quick and goes hard to the net. He is one of my favorite Flyers now, actually and has been putting up solid numbers.
I also like Brayden Schenn and Zac Rinaldo, both of these kids bode well for the future of Flyers hockey.

Nasreal
26th February 12, 12:51 PM
From what I've seen I really like Simmonds too, he goes hard to the net, creates a shitload of chaos in front of the crease, and keeps fighting until the whistle blows. It might not be the prettiest type of play, but he's damn good at it.

OZZ
27th February 12, 08:56 AM
Just a couple of quick comments before the trade deadline passes..
- If the LA Kings trade Dustin Brown in the hopes that a reunited Carter and Richards are going to bring them to the promised land they are dreaming. Brown is a great player and this would be a huge mistake. Trade backup goalie Bernier if you want, but don't trade your captain. If he and Richards are having a personality conflict - LET THEM SORT IT OUT. Richards has been inconsistent all year and his leadership skills are questionable..he's not the same player he was 3 years ago when I bought his jersey ! Carter is SOFT - he only has 10 hits this season. 10 HITS ! These guys are not the dynamic duo.
- I get a laugh listening to all the Leaf fans offering up 1/3 of their team for Rick Nash. Nash would NEVER want to play in Toronto and the Leafs are not on his list of possible destinations. Toronto has a coaching problem and a lack of solid d-men, their goalies aren't bad - but they aren't being coached very well and the are being thrown under the buys publicly by Wilson which is just plain wrong. Leaf fans..lol. It would be funny to listen to them if it weren't so sad. However, if Burke is dumb enough to trade Jake Gardiner for JVR - I'd be more than happy to see that deal happen. JVR is inconsistent and needs a wake-up call. One good playoff series does not a superstar make.
- Another name that has surfaced over the past couple of days in trade rumors is Steve Ott. This is a guy who would be a good fit for the Flyers and help tremendously on a playoff run.
- I personally think Nash is a franchise player and unless you are getting a franchise goalie in return, Don't move him. If he is willing to stay ..keep him. What good are draft picks from the NYR going to do Columbus ? The Rangers are a playoff team and will not be drafting high, so a first-round pick from them is nothing special. If you want a 1st round draft pick, get Edmonton's or some other bottom-dwellers picks.
I doubt Edmonton is stupid enough to trade their picks though, their rebuilding is going just fine and as long as they stand firm they will be contending for a Cup in 2-3 years time. Don't worry, Feryk !
The Canucks vs Boston in the Cup final again this year ? Don't bet against it...
Detroit as a contender this year ? I doubt it, but let's see how they finish the season.

Feryk
27th February 12, 02:21 PM
The Leafs won't get Nash...but they'd sell Kessel's anal virginity for a goalie.

OZZ
27th February 12, 09:48 PM
That was one of the most uneventful trade deadlines ever..mostly minor league deals. None of the big names got moved..
The Canucks picked up some toughness getting Zack Kassian from Buffalo. They also picked up a depth player in Sami Pahlsson.
The Preds made a couple of moves, and got Kostitsyn from Montreal.

*yawn*

Japuma
28th February 12, 12:00 PM
I have tradecentre on all day at work just waiting for the big one and... nothing... What a let down. The Caps needed to do something but GMGM seems to be a bit gun shy when making the big trade. The last 2 games the Caps have had some life again, they need to win a lot down the stretch to hold off teams like Florida, Winnipeg and Toronto.

OZZ
28th February 12, 12:50 PM
What do you think of Dale Hunter as a coach?

KO'd N DOA
28th February 12, 12:55 PM
The Preds made a couple of moves, and got Kostitsyn from Montreal.

Ya Kostitsyn will join his brother. That might be good. We got nothing for that deal.

Japuma
28th February 12, 06:11 PM
What do you think of Dale Hunter as a coach?

Let me preface this by saying in the past 2 games the Caps seem to be gelling under the system (maybe). His system seems to be solid if he can get the players to execute. That being said...

The Caps are still too damn soft. They seem to have none of the grit that DH was supposed to bring with him. I'm not sure if that is a coaching problem or a player problem though. They've had 3 chances to get back at Bourque for putting Nicky Backstrom on LTIR and all the player can muster is a pitiful attempt at a fight. I haven't really decided much beyond that yet.

Japuma
28th February 12, 11:12 PM
Hell of a comeback win tonight to get 2 big points and the 8th spot in the East.

OZZ
29th February 12, 10:47 AM
Washington's grit problem isn't Hunter's fault.
Your main contender for last playoff spot in the East is Winnipeg. Don't worry about Toronto..all you have to do is leapfrog the Panthers and you are in.

Japuma
29th February 12, 12:58 PM
Washington's grit problem isn't Hunter's fault.
Your main contender for last playoff spot in the East is Winnipeg. Don't worry about Toronto..all you have to do is leapfrog the Panthers and you are in.

We've also got 2 games (i think) in hand on the Jets right now and were at the beginning of a 5 game home stand. Hopefully we take 4 of 5 at home and then we should be in a good position.

OZZ
2nd March 12, 09:40 PM
In a pathetic attempt to salvage the season and get into the playoffs, the Toronto Maple Leafs have fired head coach Ron Wilson.
Randy Carlyle is said to be Wilson's replacement.
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=389346
Brian Burke is likely thinking about his own job at this point as well. 4 years and still no playoffs..doesn't look good for Burkie boy.

Nasreal
2nd March 12, 10:04 PM
In a pathetic attempt to salvage the season and get into the playoffs, the Toronto Maple Leafs have fired head coach Ron Wilson.
Randy Carlyle is said to be Wilson's replacement.
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=389346
Brian Burke is likely thinking about his own job at this point as well. 4 years and still no playoffs..doesn't look good for Burkie boy.Wowwww, just..wow. This far into the season, what the fuck is the point of firing your coach?

OZZ
9th March 12, 11:26 AM
Oh man..2 shutouts in 3 games for Bryz.
.http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/
Is it too much to hope ? Has he finally found his game ? Is there reason for optimism ?
Oh YEEEAAAHH !

KO'd N DOA
9th March 12, 01:36 PM
My team has decided that to commemorate one hundred years, by taking a decade off.

Feryk
9th March 12, 02:15 PM
They were tired. You know, really tired.

Don't feel bad. My team hasn't taken ANY time off, they just SUCK.

I'm pulling for the new guys on the Oilers. They are exciting to watch for sure. Hopefully we can get it together for a whole season NEXT YEAR - ARRRRGGHHHH!!!

Nasreal
10th March 12, 09:38 PM
Overtime with the leafs, and Bryz man is lookin solid. AND I get to see the finish! Let's hope it goes well!

Edit: and now a shoot out!

Nasreal
10th March 12, 09:51 PM
Hell yeah! Now I'm starting to get excited, and giroux is a monster, that was one of the nicest moves I've ever seen in a shootout!

OZZ
10th March 12, 10:15 PM
Absolutely sweet Shootout winner by Giroux..
Bryz now has 3 SO in his last 4 starts.
When was the last time a Flyers goalie pulled that off ?
His lateral movement has been very sharp, his positioning flawless and he seems to have found his glove hand again.
But most importantly he looks like he is playing with confidence and the team looks confident in front of him.
This is very important to a team's psyche..knowing they can rely on their netminder to come up big when the game is on the line.
Let's keep it goin ' !!

Oh, in other news..the province of Saskatchewan has put in a bid for an NHL franchise to be based out of Saskatoon at the arena where the WJHC was held. Like Winnipeg's arena, it is a 15,000 capacity rink with luxury boxes etc.
Don Cherry brought it up on HNIC tonight.
The corporate support is there too, and this may not just be a pipedream for the prairie province anymore..
http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/NHL/2012/03/02/pf-19453331.html

Nasreal
10th March 12, 10:24 PM
Absolutely sweet Shootout winner by Giroux..
Bryz now has 3 SO in his last 4 starts.
When was the last time a Flyers goalie pulled that off ?
Last flyers goalie to get two shutouts in a row was Biron sooooooo a while ago!

But most importantly he looks like he is playing with confidence and the team looks confident in front of him.
This is very important to a team's psyche..knowing they can rely on their netminder to come up big when the game is on the line. on this note, when they asked him about himself tonight he refused to answer and only said, "do you have any questions about the team?" that is friggin fantastic if you ask me.

Nasreal
10th March 12, 10:35 PM
I'll be honest, I was having doubts there about Bryz, but then I looked at his career GAA stats. 2.5 which puts home right up there with a lot of the big goalies out there. Also I'd like to point out, that's better than Fluery, because seriously, fuck the penguins!

OZZ
14th March 12, 07:46 PM
Bryz got another shutout last night against the Devils !
I might have to get a jersey made if this keeps up..

Also, Steve Stamkos became one of the few players to score 50 or more goals in two seasons : http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/
The Lightning also laid a beating on the Bruins in that game, which is always good. Fucking Bruins..

OZZ
14th March 12, 07:56 PM
Go Bryz !!
http://i1108.photobucket.com/albums/h407/shortfistfighter/IlyaBryzgalov11.jpg

Nasreal
14th March 12, 11:32 PM
Bryz got another shutout last night against the Devils !
I might have to get a jersey made if this keeps up..

Also, Steve Stamkos became one of the few players to score 50 or more goals in two seasons : http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/
The Lightning also laid a beating on the Bruins in that game, which is always good. Fucking Bruins..I'm feeling the same way, loving the hell out of the way he's playing, Id wear his number.

OZZ
20th March 12, 08:23 AM
Here's a fun vid of creative shootout goals.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0GC34H2GDY8&feature=related

I don't have a problem with shootouts deciding regular-season games. Its exciting and fun to watch, you get to watch the goalies shine too.
But I would never want to see it be the deciding factor in a playoff game.

Nasreal
20th March 12, 09:29 AM
Here's a fun vid of creative shootout goals.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0GC34H2GDY8&feature=related

I don't have a problem with shootouts deciding regular-season games. Its exciting and fun to watch, you get to watch the goalies shine too.
But I would never want to see it be the deciding factor in a playoff game.That one with the glove was hilarious, and also the one where he picked the puck up with his stick and made like a lacrosse shot with it was insane. There was one in the related vids where a little pewee player did almost the same thing. Awesome.

OZZ
20th March 12, 10:24 AM
Nasreal, here's a link to a feature on the Broad Street Bullies , youmay have already seen it, but here it is anyways.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ms68m8ZP528&feature=endscreen&NR=1
I'm still trying to find that HBO movie they did on the Flyers team from that era..I haven't been able to burn a copy because I can't find it.

Nasreal
20th March 12, 12:59 PM
Nasreal, here's a link to a feature on the Broad Street Bullies , youmay have already seen it, but here it is anyways.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ms68m8ZP528&feature=endscreen&NR=1
I'm still trying to find that HBO movie they did on the Flyers team from that era..I haven't been able to burn a copy because I can't find it.That was excellent, thanks Ozz! I was like, maybe I'll watch a bit of this, didn't look away for the next hour hahaha

Nasreal
20th March 12, 04:25 PM
Just heard some guy sports radio guy in Philly yapping about how all fighting should be taken out of hockey because of that retarded shit in new york, which personally I think is kinda stupid. While I agree that the thing that happened last night was fuckin stupid, I don't think fighting should ever be completely removed. The rules have clearly been put in place to limit it, but it's a part of the game. The thing that I dislike is taking players who are ONLY enforcers or dirty players( Carcillo), but if you can score and help the team and you're willing to knock the shit outta the guy who throws a dirty hit and say boards one of your guys that is the way it should be. The guy was trying to say that fights are what keeps hockey from gaining any more popularity as a sport in the states. I think that's BS. What keeps it from getting popular is the inaccessible nature of the sport at the lower levels. In my area it cost 700 dollars to play hockey for my high school's club team. That's just to play, not counting buying your own equipment, so there was no way in hell I could have played even though I wanted to. Not to mention the fact that ice rinks are few and far between so kids don't know how to skate anyways. Fights are one of the things that draws attention to the sport, there is no such thing as bad press.

Your thoughts Ozz?

NoBowie
20th March 12, 04:33 PM
I think all hockey should be taken out of fighting.

Feryk
20th March 12, 04:43 PM
That's called MMA, NoBBy.

NoBowie
20th March 12, 04:50 PM
That's called MMA, NoBBy.

But hockey still exists. I meant do away with it all together.

20th March 12, 06:50 PM
*insert Sifu Milt Wallace: NHL Wing Chun Hockeyfighting Coach joke here

OZZ
20th March 12, 08:43 PM
Nasreal

Just heard some guy sports radio guy in Philly yapping about how all fighting should be taken out of hockey because of that retarded shit in new york, which personally I think is kinda stupid. While I agree that the thing that happened last night was fuckin stupid, I don't think fighting should ever be completely removed. The rules have clearly been put in place to limit it, but it's a part of the game. The thing that I dislike is taking players who are ONLY enforcers or dirty players( Carcillo), but if you can score and help the team and you're willing to knock the shit outta the guy who throws a dirty hit and say boards one of your guys that is the way it should be. The guy was trying to say that fights are what keeps hockey from gaining any more popularity as a sport in the states. I think that's BS. What keeps it from getting popular is the inaccessible nature of the sport at the lower levels. In my area it cost 700 dollars to play hockey for my high school's club team. That's just to play, not counting buying your own equipment, so there was no way in hell I could have played even though I wanted to. Not to mention the fact that ice rinks are few and far between so kids don't know how to skate anyways. Fights are one of the things that draws attention to the sport, there is no such thing as bad press.

Your thoughts Ozz?

As far as grabbing a larger share of the US audience and growing the game ? I think the NHL has done a great job over the last 20 years, who would have thought that San Jose would have one of the most viable franchises in the league two decades ago ?
Accessibility is an issue, for certain. Very few kids from low income families get a chance at hockey because the equipment costs and registration fees are high. Additionally, the higher caliber player your are the more it costs to play because of travel expenses and other costs.
I think hockey will always rank fourth on the American depth chart after baseball, football and basketball no matter what.
Fighting ? Only idiots think eliminating fighting will help grow the sport. Go to a game in any rink and watch the crowd's reaction when a fight breaks out - that's all the proof you need to see that's a bunch of horseshit. Most of the people complaining about fighting in hockey don't even watch hockey on a regular basis.
The stuff last night in the NJ-NYR game was a bit stupid..but you have to look at the context. The NJ coach started the game with his bruisers at center ice - you don't do that unless you are trying to send a message. So Tortorella responded in kind...those two teams have a genuine dislike for each other right now and it goes back to earlier in the season when Torts did the same thing in NJ (starting the game with his fighters). Things are never as black and white as they seem to people who aren't informed.
I think its a vital aspect to the game, it keeps guys from using their sticks on one another and gives the players an outlet most sports don't have. It serves certain purposes that most people who haven't played the game cannot understand. If you watch most of the fights in the NHL , you will see the guys show mutual respect for one another afterwards with a slight nod or a wink. Its more about shifting momentum and keeping guys honest than it is about hurting one another. Sometimes you just need an outlet for the emotion that builds up in a game too. There are lots of incidents where guys are genuinely angry too, but better to toss a few punches than to cross check someone and break their jaw or slew-foot someone and send them to the infirmary.
I do think that the game can still be good without it. Playoffs are great and there's hardly any fights, International Hockey doesn't allow fighting and its an excellent game so if the pussies get their way and legislate fighting out of the game it will be alright. I'll certainly miss it though..
At the end of the day it should be the players who decide on the future of fighting in the game. They are the one's who are out there and know better than anyone what the game needs and doesn't need. Ask most of the players and they will say they want it to remain part of the game.
However, the days of fighting in hockey are probably numbered. The rule changes are always experimented with in Junior hockey and the idea they are tossing around now is that you can accrue only X-number of fighting majors in a season - and then you get a one-game suspension. Get into a couple more, you get two games etc.
Fighting may not be taken out 100%, but eventually it will be whittled down to the point where you get tossed instead of a 5 minute major. All but eliminating it from the game.
That's what I see happening.

Nasreal
20th March 12, 10:19 PM
The thing that annoyed me is that this guy is a sports radio show host, that's what he does, and he's ignorant on hockey in the extreme sometimes, even though he claims to be a fan. He kept coming back with:they can't fight in college hockey, so why do they do it in the NHL. That's stupid because they all wear full cages sooooo. Plus, real hockey fans know fighting has its place.

Feryk
21st March 12, 10:14 AM
There is a hell of a difference between a 'fan' and someone who loves hockey.

I'm a 'fan' of football. I like to watch it, and find it entertaining. But I don't live and die for my team or the sport.

I love hockey. Even when the Oilers suck. I love the game, the culture, everything that goes around hockey. I understand that fighting has it's place, especially in a game where grown men travel at 40 mph with weapons in their hands. Want to get rid of fighting? Just watch and see how serious the stickwork gets.

Your radio host probably loves 'sport' in general. Mebbe he's a big baseball or football fan, possibly both. But he doesn't love hockey the way I do.

OZZ
21st March 12, 10:19 AM
He kept coming back with:they can't fight in college hockey, so why do they do it in the NHL. That's stupid because they all wear full cages sooooo. Plus, real hockey fans know fighting has its place.

That's a stupid comparison...
You should call in and troll him. Tell him college hockey is a different game and isn't meant to prepare you for the Pros - that's what the AHL, CHL , WHL etc. are for. And fighting is a HUGE part of the Junior game, moreso that the NHL, actually.
He probably doesn't know anything about hockey..he was just using the line brawl from the game the other night as an excuse to jabber on about something.

Feryk
21st March 12, 10:32 AM
Well, the guy has to be controversial. Otherwise, people stop listening.

OZZ
21st March 12, 12:34 PM
Back in the 90's during the Doug Gilmour era in Toronto , one of the few periods of time when the Maple Leafs actually had a competitive team,there was a guy named Stormin' Norman on THE FAN Radio. He was easy to get worked up, I used to call in and troll him all the time by baiting him into thinking I agreed with him on things then slowly peck away at him and get him riled up, it was hilarious. He was a huge Wendel Clark fan and hated it when people would criticize him.
He was knowledgeable about the game but very bias about the Leafs. He got lots of people to listen to him though,and like Feryk pointed out, that's what matters at the end of the day.

Feryk
21st March 12, 02:21 PM
Did you ever goad him about Wendel's sexuality?

He'dve shit himself if you pulled a 'Wendell sucks dick' comment.

OZZ
21st March 12, 04:58 PM
I never did, but plenty of other callers used that one on him. it got to the point where he just automatically hung up on people who brought it up.
That was all a bunch of nonsense started up by Detroit Red Wings fans and the Detroit media. Wendel Clark is not gay, he got married right after he retired. I don't believe a word of that bullshit.
The rumor started because apparently he co-owned a condominium with Toller Cransten, a well-known world champion figure skater who was gay, for a while and stayed there when he was in Toronto . It was an investment property they went in on together.
Detroit fans were just mad because he beat Bob Probert in a fight.

Round One
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ot2IFeEMudg&feature=relmfu

Round Two
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1YwkyED4_aI

Round Three
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5jUzPecsCo&feature=relmfu

He lost their first fight, but he definitely won round 2, and round 3 was close. Clark wasn't a heavyweight but he hit really hard and had a good record in fights over his career.

Feryk
21st March 12, 05:02 PM
I didn't say it was true, but it was something that dogged the Leafs, and Clark specifically for years.

Perfect to wind up a Homer.

21st March 12, 05:08 PM
I typed "Wendel Clark" and hit the spacebar and guess what autofilled.

OZZ
23rd March 12, 11:25 AM
Keith is going to get a hefty suspension for this one..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZ75H7gS0hc

His hearing is today in NY. You know its going to be at least 6 games because its not a phone interview, he's been called in the the NHL head office. When you get called in for an in-person interview that means a minimum of 6 games, usually.
It was pre meditated. Duncan Keith was mad because Daniel had done the same to him (but not nearly as bad) earlier and got away with it.
I'm thinking he will get 10-12 games.

Feryk
23rd March 12, 03:12 PM
That probably wouldn't have been a penalty three years ago.

Yes, he will get suspended: He blindsided a Sedin. Those divers are as close to holy as you can get in hockey these days.

OZZ
25th March 12, 04:11 PM
Keith only got 5 games...

Quebec has finally gotten through all the red tape and is breaking ground on a new arena:

OZZ
30th March 12, 01:29 PM
LMAO at the lowly leafs..
They've now lost 11 straight at home. The hometown fans are booing them regularly and often, mocking them by wearing paper bags on their heads etc.
The team is about as pathetic as its ever been, the times are reminiscent of the later Harold Ballard years.
Its ok to get beaten if you put in an effort..but this club looks like they cannot wait to get off the ice and just end the season. Phaneuf has not emerged as any sort of leader, and was being a coward last night trying to push around a rookie instead of asserting himself and having a re match with Scott Hartnell or playing physical and showing some resolve. He's the perfect leader for this club, overrated, overpaid and only working hard when things are going well.
Mike Brown was the only one who showed any jam last night. In fact, he's probably the toughest guy on the team now that Orr has gone to the AHL. Rosehill can fight but he's useless otherwise. Brown can at least play on the third line and score a few goals.
Leaf fans keep buying the merchandise and selling the AC center out though...what a sad-sack organization.

KO'd N DOA
30th March 12, 03:38 PM
Montreal finally has had enough of the losing. The Molson muscle has flexed, cleaned house and now a New GM, Coach and backroom to be chosen over the next few weeks. This should be interesting rebuild. Patrick Roy is bandied about as the new everything, but he might just stay in Quebec and start a new team. Montreal media is a meat grinder on losers.

I think I will pick my playoff team soon. Teams it wont be...Boston, Philly, or Chicago, or Detriot.

Japuma
31st March 12, 10:32 AM
Tim Thomas did not have himself a good shootout the other night, let's revisit.

First:j5Dx8jBt85U

Then:8386

And finally:bn2JYHngA4s&feature=related

Poor Timmay.

OZZ
31st March 12, 10:50 AM
That's great..he faked him right out of his pants. lol

Thomas is a great goalie though..there's no denying it. I can't stand the Bruins, so its impossible for me to cheer for him.

Ottawa vs. Philly on CBC at 1pm today !
Pittsburgh VS Philly tomorrow at 12noon on NBC ! YAHOOO !

Hey KO - now that Gauthier is gone, do you think Roy is next in line ? Would you want him to be Coach or GM of the Habs ?
You know he will be one of those 'absolute power' guys if he's hired. He's too much of an egomaniac to have it any other way.

KO'd N DOA
1st April 12, 08:25 AM
Gainey did both and it didn't work, so I think Roy would be wise to do one or the other. I still think he will go to Quebec if they get a team. Lots of lying going on.

NoBowie
1st April 12, 09:43 AM
http://i1143.photobucket.com/albums/n624/Egg_NoB/BUdCh.jpg

Nasreal
1st April 12, 12:04 PM
Well, that was a poor start, at least its only a one point deficit now. Let's go Flyers!

OZZ
1st April 12, 02:43 PM
That was a BIG win and an important 2 points for the Flyers.
Philly has show incredible ability to bounce back when being down a couple of goals. Its a nice feeling to know that even a 3 goal deficit in the 1st period isn't something insurmountable.
Giroux got to 100 pts. on the season in that game with 1G 2A.
The fireworks at the end sets up a 1st round playoff matchup between the Pennsylvania rivals nicely !

Nasreal
1st April 12, 04:30 PM
That was a BIG win and an important 2 points for the Flyers.
Philly has show incredible ability to bounce back when being down a couple of goals. Its a nice feeling to know that even a 3 goal deficit in the 1st period isn't something insurmountable.
Giroux got to 100 pts. on the season in that game with 1G 2A.
The fireworks at the end sets up a 1st round playoff matchup between the Pennsylvania rivals nicely !I love watching giroux score, he is amazing. And that was definitely a key win, but it's all the sweeter against the pens. Suck it Pittsburg!

OZZ
3rd April 12, 08:50 AM
Fallout from Sunday's Penguins-Flyers game :
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=392058

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=392081

What bugs me about this is that the shove from behind is being broadcast all over the world, bemoaning Schenn's outrageous dirty play ( made twice as bad because of the jersey he's wearing) while the shot that Crosby gave Schenn just seconds before isn't being shown anywhere because its superstar Crosby.
Don Cherry has been warning him about this for over two years, and Sid isn't the nice, innocent little choir boy the NHL would like to portray him to be. He's ' got a bit of punk in him ' as Milbury put it. He slashes after the whistle, elbows people in the chops etc. all the time.
That's fine if you want to be that type of player, but if you are going to mess with the bull you will get the horns. I have no sympathy for him and if he's smart, he will stick to playing his game and stop the scrumming after the whistle and the little pokes and slashes - or he will find himself on the shelf again.
And nobody will be feeling sorry for him this time.

OZZ
3rd April 12, 09:22 AM
Also, some people are claiming the Vitale hit on Grossman earlier in the game was an intentional knee-on-knee as well. I missed it and can't find it on youtube..if anyone finds a link please post it up because i would like to see it.
Vitale may very well find himself on the wrong end of Jody Shelley's fist on the final game of the season.

Nasreal
3rd April 12, 10:26 AM
Love Millbury saying pens coach should have taken off his skirt and got involved. I can't wait for the playoffs man, that's gonna be one hell of a series. What worries me is that we don't need to have our guys destroying themselves in the first round due to vengeance. A really brutal physical series is not necessarily what I want for round one....hmmm. And damn right about Crosby, at least nobody made any bones about the fact that Clarkie was a dirty player lol. They try and make out like Crosbaby is some little angel, he's a fucking hockey player. If you're gonna play that sport, expect to get hit. Once again, SUCK IT PITTSBURG!

OZZ
7th April 12, 11:46 AM
Tortorella got himself a BIG fine for his comments about the Pens..
The league needs to wake up and realize that the Pens are one of the dirtier teams around right now and start focusing on these Knee-on-knee shots they are becoming infamous for.

Everyone knows the Pens are targeting players in their own division who shut them down . This final regular season game between the Flyers and Pens should be good and nasty. Crosby had better keep his head up.
Your Caps made it Japuma ! Good luck in the first round.

Nasreal
7th April 12, 10:49 PM
That was a disappointing game, one fight in the beginning, but as for the game I didn't feel like their hearts were in it. Jagr had a nice goal though

Japuma
8th April 12, 06:25 AM
ENGAGE PLAYOFF BEARD.

Caps VS Bruins. Should be a good first round match up. Caps have finally gotten all of their stars back healthy (Ovi, Semin, Backstrom and Green) and playing at the same time. Unfortunately, we are down to Braden Holtby in net with a possibility of Nuevirth coming back to play back up in time for the playoffs. Caps have played the B's hard all this year and Ovi seems to engage beast mode in the playoff, just need the supporting characters to step up and play some gritty hockey. I expect this series to go the 7 games with the Caps pulling out a win.

OZZ
8th April 12, 09:14 AM
That was a disappointing game, one fight in the beginning, but as for the game I didn't feel like their hearts were in it. Jagr had a nice goal though

Giroux was sitting as a precaution, Shelley didn't dress, there was nothing to play for really. The playoff match is set..no point going nuts and getting people injured or suspended with the playoffs starting.
Either team could win the series.It will be a good one.

OZZ
8th April 12, 09:16 AM
ENGAGE PLAYOFF BEARD.

Caps VS Bruins. Should be a good first round match up. Caps have finally gotten all of their stars back healthy (Ovi, Semin, Backstrom and Green) and playing at the same time. Unfortunately, we are down to Braden Holtby in net with a possibility of Nuevirth coming back to play back up in time for the playoffs. Caps have played the B's hard all this year and Ovi seems to engage beast mode in the playoff, just need the supporting characters to step up and play some gritty hockey. I expect this series to go the 7 games with the Caps pulling out a win.
The Caps will be in tough with the B's...very tough.
Good luck.
I'm still in disbelief over Florida winning the Southeast division..first time in their history they've won a division title.

Nasreal
10th April 12, 06:57 PM
Don't worry people, we got this shit! I mean if there were bears...but fuck that, bears live in the forest. Let's kick some penguin ass!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjzKJBUOoGc&feature=youtube_gdata_player

OZZ
10th April 12, 09:11 PM
Oh yes..its that time of year again, Hockey on almost every night, the most competitive hockey of the year.
I live for the NHL playoffs

Predictions :

Wsh-Bos : Japuma, I'm going to go out on a limb and say that the Caps actually have a chance in this series. Why? Because instead of finishing near the top of the league, the Caps had to scrape their way into the post-season, this may alleviate the pressure and give the team a sense of ' nothing to lose ' and loosen them up.
The problem is the goaltending. 3rd stringer Braden Holtby is starting for the Caps because of injuries to Vokoun and Neuvirth. This could prove to be the deciding factor in the series, as I'm sure the young Holtby will be scared out of his wits when he hears the roaring of the Boston faithful in a playoff atmosphere.
Boston is a monster of an opponent and they have the best goalie in the league in Tim Thomas.
Tall order for any team.
Bruins in 6

Van- LA : The Kings have no chance in this series barring a minor miracle. They are just too far out of their league against the Canucks.
Canucks in 5

Nyr-Ott : The Rangers seem like the obvious choice here. Lundqvist is an awesome goalie, but he's also been overplayed and is bound to be getting worn down. The Sens weren't even supposed to make the playoffs this year according the experts - but here they are.
I'm a big fan of Tortorella and the ' all for one and one for all ' mentality he instills in the teams he coaches. But having said that, he asks a lot from his troops and expects them to play hard every single shift - which they do. The question is, can the Broadway boys keep up the crash and bang, intense style of hockey they have played all season going forward ? Can Brad Richards, for all his hype and huge salary, actually be a deciding factor in a playoff series ? Is Daniel Alfredsson an underrated leader ? I think he is...
The Sens are under no real pressure and may give the blueshirts a big surprise..
I'm actually betting they will.
Ottawa in 7

St. Louis - San Jose - Another playoff year , another series nobody cares about.
There's always one.
Blues in 6

Philly - Pittsburgh - In truth, this is probably one of the hardest series to predict. How can you bet against Malkin, Crosby and the likes of Staal and Neal as well ? Sure, they are a bit overrated ..but you can't deny they know how to fill the net.
Philadelphia has gelled very nicely this season considering the big shake-up that took place in the summer. As is usually the case, the Flyers will count on their physicality making the difference in this series. Grinding the Pens down will be their strategy, forechecking hard and making Crosby and co. pay the price every time they touch the puck, then counting on Giroux, Briere and Hartnell to score opportune goals and turn the tide.
However, Bryz is still a big question mark for the Flyers. As Ilya goes..so go the Flyers.
Flyers in 7 ( what did you expect ???)

Coyotes - Blackhawks : Toews has missed a huge chunk of the season and I still don't think he is 100%, even though he is likely to be in the lineup for Game 1.
Part of the reason Phoenix was not worried about letting Bryz walk was Mike Smith. He has put up good numbers and is playing behind a stingy defense corps under Dave Tippet's coaching. If he can maintain his level of play and Shane Doan can step up, the Yotes will win this series.
The Blackhawks are simply not the same team that won the Cup two years ago.
Coyotes in 7

NJ - Fla - Another series nobody cares about too much. Brodeur is getting up there and the Devils are depending on a Russian to lead them *snicker*
Florida will be pumped after qualifying for the playoffs for the first time in many years, and so will the Panthers fans.
Panthers in 6

Nsh - Detroit - Detroit can never be counted out, and even though they finished behind the Preds inn the standings, a lot of people still seem to view the Wings as favorites.
I've been very impressed by what I've seen from Nashville this season. With big Shea Weber cruising the blueline alongside Suter and Pekka Rinne in net..this is a team that won't score a lot of goals, but is built to steal a playoff series with great goaltending and team defense.
Lidstrom is still the best overall defenseman in the league. But Detroit's going to lose this series and be ousted in the first round for the first time in a few years.
Preds in 6

Go Flyers !

OZZ
11th April 12, 10:37 AM
Ha !
Columbus didn't get the first pick in the draft !
The Oilers did..Feryk you guys are stacked !

Japuma
11th April 12, 12:43 PM
Eberle, Hall and Nuggent-Hopkins and now Yakupov... WTF? Or will they trade the #1 pick for a defenceman?

Feryk
11th April 12, 01:50 PM
If they do, people here will KILL Tambelini.

He's got the cash to go out and get a defensemen. We want all the awesome young talent to ourselves, yes we do.

Word around here is that next year better be a damn site better than this year. Renney is well liked as a coach here, but people are starting to wonder about Tambellini as GM and Kevin Lowe as President.

Japuma
11th April 12, 05:57 PM
How are the Oilers going to be able to afford all those stars in 4-5 years? Someone's going to have to be traded, and it seems to me that the most likely to go is Eberle. Hall seems to be the man of the future there.

OZZ
11th April 12, 06:16 PM
They won't be able to afford them all in 5 years, but if they play their cards right and make some smart decisions, they could be contending for a division title within 2 years and contending for the Cup in 3 or 4.
Its tough for the Edmonton fans right now, but look at Toronto. You can always make yourself feel better by comparing your team to the leafs. At least the Oilers have a bright future..the Leafs are absolutely pathetic.

The ownership group took out a full-page ad in the paper ' apologizing ' to the fans. How sad is that ?

Japuma
11th April 12, 09:26 PM
What a win for Philly! Coming back from 3 goals down to win it in OT. Could be a huge momentum swing in this series.

OZZ
11th April 12, 09:29 PM
Oh YEEAAAHH !!
Comeback kids do it again ! Down 3-0 after a shell-shocked 1st period the Flyers stormed to take the game 4-3 in OT !
Schenn and Briere were the heroes of the game, Voracek scores the winner. Bryz had a bit of trouble in the first but played extremely solid for the rest of the game to give his team a shot at getting back in it.
WOOO !

OZZ
11th April 12, 09:32 PM
What a win for Philly! Coming back from 3 goals down to win it in OT. Could be a huge momentum swing in this series.

Its a big win..but there's lots of hockey to be played.
Philly took over after the first period. I think some of the younger players * Philly has 10 rookies in their lineup* were a bit nervous in the first. But they regained their composure.
Crosby the weasel should have had a couple of penalties called on him tonight- he's such a worm.

Nasreal
11th April 12, 10:55 PM
Oh YEEAAAHH !!
Comeback kids do it again ! Down 3-0 after a shell-shocked 1st period the Flyers stormed to take the game 4-3 in OT !
Schenn and Briere were the heroes of the game, Voracek scores the winner. Bryz had a bit of trouble in the first but played extremely solid for the rest of the game to give his team a shot at getting back in it.
WOOO !I didn't get to watch cause I was at work, but I was wearing my flyer orange under my uniform. Just got home and I'm watchin a replay. Friggin awesome!

Japuma
12th April 12, 09:35 PM
FFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!

Okay.. I'm good. Holtby played great. What a defensive game.

Nasreal
12th April 12, 10:17 PM
Kings took game one 4-2....WAT? Is it just a fluke or you guys think it could be something?

OZZ
13th April 12, 09:09 AM
Holtby did play very well..especially considering it was his first playoff game ever.

The Canucks could be in trouble, actually , Nas. I though Daniel was only going to be out for one game, but apparently now the diagnosis is not good..
They need his scoring. Unless Ryan Kessler steps up, the 'nucks could be in deep shit.

Feryk
13th April 12, 02:16 PM
Nah. The 'Nucks have a habit of not taking first round opponents seriously. This time, they better fucking wake up. If they do, they'll finish in five.

Nasreal
13th April 12, 07:57 PM
This shit is ridiculous with these penalties...

Nasreal
13th April 12, 08:23 PM
This is an amazing game, you can't look away for a second...

Edit: HOLYWTFTHISISNUTS

Japuma
13th April 12, 08:57 PM
This Pens/Flyers game is redic.

Nasreal
13th April 12, 09:06 PM
This Pens/Flyers game is redic.No really, Jesus Christ dude, I think this might be the best hockey game I've ever watched, it's certainly up there. I mean there have been a lot of goals allowed, but still, talk about a battle.

Nasreal
13th April 12, 09:19 PM
8 to god damned 5! Giroux and the 19 year old rookie Couturier with hat tricks! It's a good night to be a Flyers fan!

Japuma
13th April 12, 09:32 PM
6 points for Giroux, a hatty for Couturier... Is this Lacrosse?

OZZ
14th April 12, 07:54 AM
Wicked awesome ! Its like the 80's again in this series..

Two hat tricks in the same game by two players on the same team ! Its unheard of nowadays.
The Flyers have played better on the road this year than they have at home though..so let's hope they reverse that trend.
Fleury is taking a LOT of heat for the Pens losing these games, but its not just him. Crosby is a rocket in the 1st period and then fizzles out..his conditioning is not where it needs to be because he has been out for 2/3 of the season.

OZZ
14th April 12, 09:25 AM
This is the kind of shit that really makes me laugh..

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=393094#YourCallTop

[email protected] Gary Bettman, still trying to convince people his Sunbelt Expansion plan was good for hockey. What a joke.
' A testament to the resiliency of hockey in South Florida '
Where was Bettman with his nice accolades for the city of Winnipeg and their resiliency after losing their team for a decade and then selling out 5 years worth of season tickets in two hours ?
Where will he be when Quebec re enters the league ? And When SW Ontario adds two more franchises ?
Hopefully he will be gone from the NHL by then. This man is a disgrace to the sport of hockey.

Oh, and I came across this today too..boy, Wayne must be so proud.
http://windycitizensports.files.wordpress.com/2011/10/paulina-gretzky.jpg
I remember when Pauline was just a little nerdy girl with glasses.

Nasreal
14th April 12, 11:38 AM
This is shaping up to be an interesting cup... The kings are up two nil in their series as well.

OZZ
14th April 12, 09:59 PM
Ottawa won 3-2 tonight in OT to tie their series with the NYR.
The Rangers were taking a lot of liberties with the Sens..its no wonder Carkner pounded that one guy when he was down.
The hit on Alfredsson that took him out of the game is reviewable and may warrant a suspension.

Nasreal
14th April 12, 10:05 PM
Ottawa won 3-2 tonight in OT to tie their series with the NYR.
The Rangers were taking a lot of liberties with the Sens..its no wonder Carkner pounded that one guy when he was down.
The hit on Alfredsson that took him out of the game is reviewable and may warrant a suspension.Caps also tied up their series.

Japuma
14th April 12, 10:06 PM
Holtby continuing a high level of play. Double OT nail bitter with Backstrom putting in the winner. 1-1, with the series heading to DC.

OZZ
15th April 12, 10:45 AM
Holtby saved the game with that toe save late in the 3rd.
The Washington announcer freaked when Backstrom scored " Goood morning, good night and good afternooon !!"
lol

Japuma
15th April 12, 03:40 PM
What an unbelievable first period in the Pit/Philly game... 72 PIMs.

OZZ
15th April 12, 05:55 PM
So much for the Stanley Cup favorite Penguins..
They've allowed 20 GA in 3 games.
They were completely undisciplined and became downright undone by game's end because of frustration.
I expected this series to be interesting..but this has been more than interesting.
Awesome stuff if you are a Flyers fan.

OZZ
18th April 12, 10:23 AM
Absolutely brutal hit by Torres..he had better be out for the balance of the playoffs for this one.
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=393480

Coyotes lead that series 2-1

Feryk
18th April 12, 02:54 PM
Any video links? I missed it.

OZZ
18th April 12, 05:51 PM
Any video links? I missed it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2mX7LqBGo4

Totally left his feet..Hossa didn't have the puck.
Reminiscent of a play last year in the Finals versus the Bruins..and Torres didn't get suspended for that either.

Nasreal
18th April 12, 07:38 PM
Jesus...that was brutal. Also, what the hell is with Fleury and Bryz, they're like a couple of fuckin sieves in net...

Nasreal
18th April 12, 10:26 PM
I think that was the worst thing I have ever seen...................

OZZ
18th April 12, 10:29 PM
That was an embarrassing loss on home ice and the Flyers need to close this thing out on Friday, lest the Pens use this game as a rallying call.

Ottawa won in OT again to tie their series..
Vancouver is losing game 4 as of right now.

Did the Caps play tonight ?

OZZ
18th April 12, 10:35 PM
The only thing I can say in the Flyers' defense is that the Refs were calling 5 times as many penalties against Philly as they were against the Pens.
After last game, the commish told the refs to crack down, and the Flyers always get the butt end of that shit - its a reputation thing.

Nasreal
18th April 12, 10:38 PM
The only thing I can say in the Flyers' defense is that the Refs were calling 5 times as many penalties against Philly as they were against the Pens.
After last game, the commish told the refs to crack down, and the Flyers always get the butt end of that shit - its a reputation thing. Yeah...and I understood the frustration, but Rinaldo acted like an asshat...after Game 3 you're gonna punch someone in the face while they're on their knees right in front of the damn ref. Now we look just as dirty as the stupid penguins. That's what really pisses me off. Up until tonight, we were the disciplined team, tonight they freaking lost it.

Feryk
19th April 12, 05:54 PM
Torres is a mediocre player in the regular season, but in the playoffs he turns into a beast. His hit on (I believe) Joe Thornton in the 2006 playoffs was why Edmonton beat the San Jose Sharks.

The last year we did anything in the playoffs, btw.

That video shows the hit. Left his feet. Deserves a suspension, but not the incarnation of evil that I was hearing about.

Nasreal
20th April 12, 09:11 PM
Well, shit. Fuck Fleury was a god damn monster! Briere has got to be kicking himself though, I saw one at least that he definitely should have had.

OZZ
21st April 12, 10:17 AM
There is trouble brewing here..
The Flyers have not scored an even-strength goal since the 3rd Period of Game 3. This is the kind of statistic that really weighs on a team's confidence and the media is more than happy to remind them of it at every opportunity.
The PP is great, but they need to generate some offense at even-strength. Especially considering the reffing is obviously slanted in the Pens favor. Exhibit A - Malkin running around like he did last night, should have been tossed out of the game after hammering Coturier in the head.
The Flyers are under tremendous pressure now , the roles have been reversed.
However, I still think they will pull out the series in the end.

OZZ
21st April 12, 10:19 AM
The decision on Torres is supposed to come down today..
Wings are out ! That's never a bad thing.

Nasreal
21st April 12, 10:55 AM
There is trouble brewing here..
The Flyers have not scored an even-strength goal since the 3rd Period of Game 3. This is the kind of statistic that really weighs on a team's confidence and the media is more than happy to remind them of it at every opportunity.
The PP is great, but they need to generate some offense at even-strength. Especially considering the reffing is obviously slanted in the Pens favor. Exhibit A - Malkin running around like he did last night, should have been tossed out of the game after hammering Coturier in the head.
The Flyers are under tremendous pressure now , the roles have been reversed.
However, I still think they will pull out the series in the end.My feelings exactly, I saw an interference that was so bad it should have resulted in a penalty shot, no call..

Japuma
21st April 12, 05:21 PM
25 games for Torres.

Caps win another close one in Game 5 and head home tomorrow with the chance to close out the series.

http://myimg.us/images/04.21.12/25602.gif

OZZ
22nd April 12, 07:14 PM
Every game in the Caps - Bruins series has been decided by one goal.
That's an NHL record.

Bryz stood tall today and Giroux proved why he is one of the best players in the game as well as the future captain of the Flyers.
Goodbye Penguins..goodby Cindy.
Have fun golfing.

OZZ
25th April 12, 08:05 AM
Controversy from Game 6 of the Rangers - Sens game :
http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/henrik-lundqvist-irate-over-controversial-senators-goal-game-022445844.html

I didn't watch the close-up of the goal until I saw this . Neil clearly kicked it in and it should not have counted.
The NYR still won the game, but that is a terrible call.

Japuma
25th April 12, 09:31 PM
...Another 1 goal game...

BUT THE CAPS WON! YEAH BABY, BRING ON ROUND 2!

Nasreal
25th April 12, 10:53 PM
...Another 1 goal game...

BUT THE CAPS WON! YEAH BABY, BRING ON ROUND 2!So happy the caps won, otherwise we were never gonna hear the end of it with the bear jokes after what Bryz said. Also, no way I'd want us facing Tim Thomas, fuck that noise.

OZZ
26th April 12, 08:34 AM
Ovechkin and Backstrom get all the Press but it was the grinders and Holtby that won this series for the Caps.
Fuck the Bruins.
After tonight we'll know how things shape up in the Eastern Conference.

Nasreal
26th April 12, 06:38 PM
Holy Crap, this first period in the Sens/Rangers game has been some great friggin hockey!

Nasreal
26th April 12, 07:35 PM
A lot of Flyers fans are worried about facing the Rangers, I'm no so sure I feel any better about this Sens team should they pull this out. Holy Jebus.

OZZ
27th April 12, 10:32 AM
Japuma's team is stuck with the Rangers..not Philly.

Flyers get New Jersey.

In the Western Conference

Phoenix gets Nashville
The Kings Get St. Louis

Both of those games last night were close and could have gone either way. Ottawa kept shooting over the net and missed several yawning cages. They did well this year though, especially for a team that nobody thought would make the playoffs.
The Rangers offense is somewhat limited though, Japuma. If your guys can out gun them and go hard to the net like they did in the last series, they are beatable. Henrik is the last line of defense and will be the toughest nut for the Caps to crack.

In the West I see Nashville beating Phoenix and LA beating the Blues - if Quick continues playing as well as he has. The Kings are a better team than I thought , which shouldn't be surprising , really , considering they have Dustin Brown and Mike Richards leading the way.

We may see a Caps-Flyers Conference Final..wooo, then things will get interesting on here.

The NJ- Florida game was boring until the third period , then it got exciting and the double-OT was fun to watch. New Jersey is very beatable , and I have no real worries as long as Bryzgalov plays well. The NJ offense isn't exactly potent, so as long as Simmonds, Talbot, Hartnell and the other grinders get some traffic in front of Marty - this series is all Flyers. The best thing about it - no Scott Stevens to worry about !!!

OZZ
27th April 12, 10:34 AM
Holy Crap, this first period in the Sens/Rangers game has been some great friggin hockey!

The whole series was like that..it was a great one to watch.

Now my wife is disappointed because all the Canadian teams are out and she has no one left to cheer for.

Vieux Normand
27th April 12, 10:59 AM
...it was a great one to watch.

Not at all. It was hockey.

Now my wife is disappointed because all the Canadian teams are out and she has no one left to cheer for.

Tell her to stop watching dwarf-porn and do a little homework: find the remaining NHL team cursed with the highest number of cnux and cheer it on.

OZZ
27th April 12, 11:12 AM
Not at all. It was hockey.

Tell her to stop watching dwarf-porn and do a little homework: find the remaining NHL team cursed with the highest number of cnux and cheer it on.

Shut up. Only fags don't like hockey. You and Mayor Ford can go to the World Badminton Championships together though,I hear its being played in Toronto this year.

I've tried to inform her on the issue of there being many canucks on US-based teams, but its not the same thing in her eyes, or many other Canadian hockey fans, for that matter.

NoBowie
27th April 12, 11:31 AM
Shut up. Only classy, civilized people don't like hockey.

Nasreal
27th April 12, 09:28 PM
NoB sucks Pen0rsOh look, just like always, your contribution amounts to nothing...

Vieux Normand
28th April 12, 09:16 AM
Shut up.

NO U

Only fags don't like hockey.

Except, apparently, in London Ont., where bananas are so popular, the not only get enthusiastically sucked at rinkside, they then get tossed onto the ice every time a black player skates there. Classy? Classy.

...Mayor Ford...

Seems to get quite a lot of mention in your postings. Is there something you want to tell us, ozz? Really, it's okay.

I've tried to inform her on the issue of there being many canucks on US-based teams, but its not the same thing in her eyes, or many other Canadian hockey fans, for that matter.

What a pathetic lack of patriotism. No national pride whatsoever.

Well, okay...there's no actual reason for cnux have any, but still...

OZZ
28th April 12, 11:19 AM
Except, apparently, in London Ont., where bananas are so popular, the not only get enthusiastically sucked at rinkside, they then get tossed onto the ice every time a black player skates there.

The culprit claims he had no racial joke in mind when tossing said banana peel. Rather, he just tossed the fruit ( which he swiped from a juice vendor )to try and distract Simmonds during his shoot-out attempt. He is either dumb or a liar..probably both.

What a pathetic lack of patriotism.
She's decided to root for Phoenix now..since they used to be the Winnipeg Jets.

btw Mayor Ford told me to remind you to bring the butter when you visit this weekend.

Feryk
28th April 12, 12:16 PM
Vieux, I'd much rather be a canucklehead than a Frog these days. Ribbit!

OZZ
28th April 12, 12:22 PM
Vieux's not a frog, he's Norman..remember.
The man wears his ancestry like a badge of honor, the least you can do is remember the distinction.

Vieux Normand
30th April 12, 03:58 PM
btw Mayor Ford told me to remind you to bring the butter when you visit this weekend.

There you go with your 'Ford' obsession again. Instead of this coy indirect approach, why not just ask one of your fellow countrymen in TO for his phone number? By the looks of him, you won't need any extra butter.

EDIT @ Farouk: As for whether or not I'm a frog, the pond would ban me if they could. I voted Le Pen.

OZZ
30th April 12, 06:31 PM
There you go with your 'Ford' obsession again. Instead of this coy indirect approach, why not just ask one of your fellow countrymen in TO for his phone number? By the looks of him, you won't need any extra butter.

Hey...I'm not one to interfere in other people's affairs. If you and Bobby are having a rough time, sort it out between the two of you.
Maybe a change of scenery is what you two need..try Taco Bell next time you are out on a date.

Vieux Normand
1st May 12, 08:52 AM
Vieux's not a frog, he's Norman..remember.

This is something far more often mentioned by you than by me.

Is there something in l0nd0n0nt's water that might account for these little preoccupations of yours?

Help is doubtless available.

OZZ
1st May 12, 09:17 AM
The water's fine..but there's no jobs.
Or good jazz clubs.

OZZ
1st May 12, 03:21 PM
On the subject of hockey..
Japuma..the amount of ice-time being allotted to Ovie and Backstrom has been a feeding frenzy for the media up here. There are many people in the sports world bemoaning the fact that Dale Hunter has his highest-paid player on the ice for less than 18min a game right now.
I don't know what you think about it, but I say let Hunter do his thing.
Believe me, Dale Hunter doesn't give a flying fuck about the media, the popular opinion or even the team's owners when it comes to running his team. He will do things his way and on his own terms - and as long as the Caps win- people should just shut up about it.
He's being played according to the situation at hand, and I think Hunter is doing a good job.
You could be headed to a Conference Final showdown with the Flyers.

OZZ
1st May 12, 08:12 PM
That 2nd period was BRUTAL !
Flyers only registered 1 shot on goal , but NJ still couldn't score even though they outplayed Philly the entire time !
Bryz has been awesome this game so far..he's the only reason they are hanging onto the lead.
Unbelievable. I must have uttered every profane word in the book that period.

Nasreal
1st May 12, 08:54 PM
Well....fuck

Feryk
2nd May 12, 03:41 PM
Yep, that one especially.

OZZ
4th May 12, 10:03 AM
The Flyers are going to lose this series unless they start winning battles for the puck and find a way to counter the aggressive forechecking of the Devils. New Jersey has a decided advantage in the speed department and are exploiting it. If you want to slow down a fast team in the playoffs you have to hammer them in the corners and finish your checks to wear them out and the Flyers have not been laying on the body hard enough for some reason.
Getting the odd big save would help too..Bryz is inconsistent.
LA is going to be playing for the Cup this year in the West.

Nasreal
6th May 12, 10:45 PM
The Flyers are going to lose this series unless they start winning battles for the puck and find a way to counter the aggressive forechecking of the Devils. New Jersey has a decided advantage in the speed department and are exploiting it. If you want to slow down a fast team in the playoffs you have to hammer them in the corners and finish your checks to wear them out and the Flyers have not been laying on the body hard enough for some reason.
Getting the odd big save would help too..Bryz is inconsistent.
LA is going to be playing for the Cup this year in the West.This. Is. Not. Good. I am officially very worried. Think I'll root for L.A. If the flyers don't make it to the next round. They are freakin on fire.

Nasreal
8th May 12, 06:27 PM
Man, you should feel the atmosphere right around here. Flyers fans are all hangin their heads, bunch a fucking fair-weather fake fans. I've been watching hockey for more than half my life, and true fans do not give up. I said before that I was worried, and should my guys lose I'll pick another team to watch for the remainder of the playoffs, but that does not mean I've given up! FLYERS IN SEVEN!

Nasreal
8th May 12, 06:51 PM
Also, where was this Zac Rinaldo before? Nice hit, hope Volchenkov get's up....eventually.

Nasreal
8th May 12, 09:39 PM
Sigh...they fought hard. That forechecking by the devils just blew us away. Went out in a hard way, left all the fight in Pittsburg. Hope the Kings or the Caps win!

OZZ
9th May 12, 11:44 AM
Relentless forechecking by NJ..you have to give them credit. That organization has always been good at sticking to their systems, and they don't play the boring trap game anymore.
If the Flyers had come out hitting like they did in the first period last night in Game 3 and kept it up, maybe the series would have been different. Bryz wasn't exactly stellar, but he is not he reason the Flyers lost. Jagr looked worn out and really looked his age in the second round.
Oh well, at least Rinaldo laid out Volchenkov - that was the best hit of the series !
I'm cheering for the Caps now cuz Dale Hunter !

OZZ
10th May 12, 10:36 AM
Very good win for the Caps last night.
I think it was a nice vote of confidence by Dale Hunter to put Joel Ward on the ice in the dying minutes of the game, despite his gaff in the prior game of the series where a dumb penalty cost them the win. Dale is a good coach, a player's coach with a no-nonsense, team-first approach to the game.
Holtby has been sensational..although he has been aided quite a bit by the shot-blocking of his teammates.
One thing I do find frustrating about the playoffs is the way the defending team crowds the front of the net. Its not unusual to see four defending jerseys lined up in front of a goalie at any given time, its getting so the only goals that seem to squeak through are deflections and flukey bounces unless its a PP.

OZZ
14th May 12, 10:02 AM
Sorry about the Caps, Japuma.
The Kings - Coyotes game was a good one last night. I think LA should win that series.
NJ should be able to beat the Rangers as well, which sets up a NJ- LA final.Martin Brodeur, the veteran, winner of 3 Stanley Cups and one of the best netminders ever in goal against Jonathan Quick, one of the best young netminders in the NHL today.

OZZ
16th May 12, 10:48 AM
http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/news/nhl--kings-flirt-with-history-on-remarkable-playoff-run-that-seems-destined-for-stanley-cup-final.html

LA is for real ! I watched most of that game last night and Phoenix has no answer at all ..they don't have a chance in this series.

Dale Hunter's resignation isn't that big of a surprise, really. He led the team on a good playoff run and isn't interested in being in D.C for two or three years. This was more of an interim assignment.
http://www.thestar.com/sports/hockey/nhl/article/1178178--dale-hunter-resigns-as-coach-of-the-washington-capitals
Hunter and his family are quite happy here in London and have lots to keep them busy running the Knights.
I'm glad he's back.

OZZ
23rd May 12, 04:41 PM
The Kings are going to win the Stanley Cup methinks..

Japuma
23rd May 12, 05:41 PM
The Kings are going to win the Stanley Cup methinks..

One can hope.

OZZ
30th May 12, 06:40 PM
Well, I am going to reserve judgment on this one until I watch the first game of the series tonight.
These teams have no history and its hard to tell how they will match up against one another.

Japuma
31st May 12, 08:25 AM
Game 1 was good. Devils controlled all of OT until a break down in defense (and a fantastic pass) led to a Kopitar breakaway and a Brodeur undressing.

Also, Nicky Lidstrom is retiring today. Where do rank him in all-time defense men? For me him and Bobby Orr rank # 1A and 1B.

OZZ
1st June 12, 10:01 AM
Yes, Lidstrom is up there on the list of all-time great D-men. He would probably have to be ranked #2 , second only to Bobby Orr.
Sometimes there are defencemen who aren't recognized as all-time greats at the position because they don't put up the type of offensive numbers that guys like Orr, Lidstrom, Bourque or Larry Robinson did.
One of the best shutdown d-men ever actually played for your team Japuma, I'm not sure how old you are , and he may be before your time , but Rod Langway was one of the greatest D-men in the history of the game.
http://www.nhl.com/ice/player.htm?id=8448651
He won two Norris trophies and was a plus-player on some pretty mediocre Caps teams back in the 80's. His only minus season was his last, and that was because he got injured and only played around 20 games.
He didn't put up amazing offensive numbers, but he was as solid a blueliner as any I've ever seen.
Paul Coffey is often mentioned as one of the best defensemen ever and I think he is completely overrated. He put up incredible numbers on those Oiler teams in the 80's - but that wasn't a huge feat considering all he had to do was bounce the puck off the boards to Gretzky, Messier or Kurri and he would get an assist. His defensive game was wanting, despite being a great skater..that's why he never won a Norris trophy.

OZZ
6th June 12, 07:42 PM
http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/eve-potential-stanley-cup-final-sweep-kings-donate-025257385.html

Classy move on the part of the Kings organization.
There's no doubt they are going to win the Cup. If not tonight then on the weekend.
They certainly deserve it, what a playoff run they have had. An NHL record..

NoBowie
25th July 12, 07:49 AM
http://i1143.photobucket.com/albums/n624/Egg_NoB/XqVIEl-1.jpg