PDA

View Full Version : Meanwhile in New York

EvilSteve
19th September 11, 08:51 AM
http://www.ny1.com/content/top_stories/147351/social-networking-spurs-wall-street-protest

(http://www.ny1.com/content/top_stories/147351/social-networking-spurs-wall-street-protest)
Protesters set up camp in Manhattan's Financial District Saturday for a demonstration stemming from the social networking site "Occupy Wall Street" that aims to last for months. NY1’s Nicole Ward filed the following report.

Didn't get to make it down there this weekend, but I've been following the coverage. Not the biggest group, but they seem to be hanging in there. Allegedly there were threats that the police would shut it down and "they didn't care if it was legal or not" but so far no big kerfluffle has ensued.

Hedley LaMarr
19th September 11, 02:48 PM
http://www.ny1.com/content/top_stories/147351/social-networking-spurs-wall-street-protest

(http://www.ny1.com/content/top_stories/147351/social-networking-spurs-wall-street-protest)

[/I]Didn't get to make it down there this weekend, but I've been following the coverage. Not the biggest group, but they seem to be hanging in there. Allegedly there were threats that the police would shut it down and "they didn't care if it was legal or not" but so far no big kerfluffle has ensued.
How big was union involvement in this? If you want to have big protests the unions need to be running the show. If you just have hippies at the helm it's going to be a wash.

EvilSteve
19th September 11, 02:56 PM
Far as I know there was no union involvement. I first heard about it reading Adbusters a few months back, and other than that it was organized via internets. Worth noting, however, that Twitter blocked the #occupywallstreet hash tag. Guess they're not all about free speech after all.

Hedley LaMarr
19th September 11, 03:04 PM
Far as I know there was no union involvement. I first heard about it reading Adbusters a few months back, and other than that it was organized via internets. Worth noting, however, that Twitter blocked the #occupywallstreet hash tag. Guess they're not all about free speech after all.
This is leading me to assume that Bloomberg had ulterior motives when he made that warning about rioting.

EvilSteve
19th September 11, 03:06 PM
That's what I thought he was talking about as well, but at this point it seems it was your bog-standard grandstanding.

Wondering if Mr. "Criminals don't read the Wall Street Journal" is fearmongering or trying to appeal to a largely left-wing electorate.

Spade: The Real Snake
19th September 11, 04:20 PM
"CAPITALISM DOESN'T WORK!!!!" was the sign held by one Miami Heat ($65 Million 2011 payroll) hat clad young protestor as he sipped off his Dasani (property of Coca-Cola NYSD: KO, $36 billion US revenue 2010) water bottle in front of the McDonald's (NYSE: MCD, $24 Billion US revenue 2010) and adjusted his $100 Abercrombie and Fitch jeans (NYSE: ANF, $3.5 Billion US Revenue 2010) and wiped an imaginary spot from his $200 Columbia jacket ($1.3 Billion US Revenue 2007)

EvilSteve
20th September 11, 02:58 PM
That's not really representative of what I've been seeing going on down there. Yeah, you'll get more than your share of posers and idiots, but most of the folks I've seen are bohemian types from the East Village and some folks wearing Guy Fawkes masks.

But get this- apparently Yahoo! has blocked not only links but personal emails mentioning Occupy Wall Street.

All of this is making the cops super tense since the city is already in lockdown because of the UN, and double lockdown because of the upcoming vote on Palestine.

HappyOldGuy
20th September 11, 08:35 PM
nm, there looks to be smoke

resolve
21st September 11, 01:51 AM
But get this- apparently Yahoo! has blocked not only links but personal emails mentioning Occupy Wall Street.

The real question you have to ask yourself is who's pulling the strings here and why.

EvilSteve
21st September 11, 07:34 AM
Yes, the occupy wall street thing seems to have hit a nerve despite the fact that it's a pretty small group. Social networks which have recently made a big deal about being conduits for political speech have blocked communications about it, and the cops have gone out of their way to trash protesters' tents and living arrangements. The response seems disproportionate.

Oh, and Liberato's pizza in the financial district is accepting orders for the protest. People have been phoning in from as far away as London to donate pizzas.

21st September 11, 10:30 AM
Yes, the occupy wall street thing seems to have hit a nerve despite the fact that it's a pretty small group. Social networks which have recently made a big deal about being conduits for political speech have blocked communications about it, and the cops have gone out of their way to trash protesters' tents and living arrangements. The response seems disproportionate.
Possibly because the notion that this is just a small pocket of angry youths is a false one.

Oh, and Liberato's pizza in the financial district is accepting orders for the protest. People have been phoning in from as far away as London to donate pizzas.
I will call in an order a stinkpalmed pizza for the hipsters.

EvilSteve
21st September 11, 10:41 AM
They actually have something called a "protest pie" or such- it's a pepperoni pizza with the pepperoni's done in a crossed out circle like you see in no smoking or no parking signs.

21st September 11, 11:14 AM
They actually have something called a "protest pie" or such- it's a pepperoni pizza with the pepperoni's done in a crossed out circle like you see in no smoking or no parking signs.
Gluten-free compassionate vegan pizza?

EvilSteve
21st September 11, 11:54 AM
No, that'd be Viva in the East Village and Upper West Side. Really awesome pizza, Viva (especially the Aztec- corn, soy cheese and tomato sauce on a cornmeal crust). Never tried Liberato's. I think it's one of the legion of anonymous pizza joints that dot Manhattan.

Ironically, Viva is NOT accepting pizza donations for the protest.

21st September 11, 11:58 AM
that.....actually sounds....good

EvilSteve
21st September 11, 01:20 PM
..oh yeah.. and red peppers. Viva's cornmeal crust kicks ass.

You will also shit it out in a single log about 3 feet long.

Ajamil
21st September 11, 03:15 PM
That just adds to the novelty of the dining experience!

Hedley LaMarr
21st September 11, 03:58 PM

That's the best part of protests: the free food. Every restaurant in town was sending food to the protesters in Madison.

jvjim
21st September 11, 04:20 PM
I hope none of these kids get hurt, but I couldn't keep myself from laughing every time the words "General Assembly" came up in this article (https://occupywallst.org/article/a-message-from-occupied-wall-street-day-four/).

21st September 11, 04:46 PM
hTJH4ZZU_oA
lol

Ajamil
21st September 11, 05:04 PM
How horribly violent and graphic. Although I disagree with the police's interpretation of "tent."

Why do protesters whinge on about handcuffs being too tight or that if the police touch them they'll sue. It just makes them sound silly.

21st September 11, 05:16 PM
Don't go defiantly banging a pot when the Po-Po are a speaking, now sonny.

Ajamil
21st September 11, 05:24 PM
A smart protester would have his lawyer on retainer and standing next to him with the video camera.

21st September 11, 06:06 PM
A smart protester would have his lawyer on retainer and standing next to him with the video camera.
the garden variety trust fund protestor whom can afford a retainered attorney wouldn't be protesting Wall Street.

Ajamil
21st September 11, 08:41 PM
So...the ACLU? Better call Saul? How do you get your peaceful protest on?

21st September 11, 10:16 PM
I don't
Protesting is for fags.
I enact change from within.

AAAAAA
22nd September 11, 02:50 AM
I don't
Protesting is for fags.
I enact change from within.

I thought your country did enact change by waging war to their oppressors. Isn't it in the constitution or something?

22nd September 11, 08:02 AM
I thought your country did enact change by waging war to their oppressors. Isn't it in the constitution or something?
kicking ass in some tinpot shithole isn't the same as these hipster fairies eating pizza under a trashbag holding a sign.

where are you from, anyhow....we might have our eye on you

AAAAAA
22nd September 11, 08:30 AM
kicking ass in some tinpot shithole isn't the same as these hipster fairies eating pizza under a trashbag holding a sign.

You mean they should kick bankers' asses instead of just protesting? I.e. just holding signs is useless?

Or you believe that the whole wall street thing is a sacred institution at the core of your country's values? And the priests running it are untouchable?

22nd September 11, 10:39 AM
You mean they should kick bankers' asses instead of just protesting? I.e. just holding signs is useless?
I would respect that more, however most of those passive-aggressive pussies would fear uncontrolled retaliation. They have no problem having a go at a cop because the cop has much higher levels of accountability and the protestor can whinge on to the press about "abuse of authority".
All the navy suit red tie wearing Wall Streeters look alike and would have no problem doling out an asskicking and disappearing into a sea of anonymity.

Or you believe that the whole wall street thing is a sacred institution at the core of your country's values? And the priests running it are untouchable?
No, not at all.
Streets and sidewalks are public thoroughfares for driving and walking, not squatting.
If you chose to break that "rule" the people you are inconveniencing should allowed to forceably move you the fuck out of the way.

jvjim
22nd September 11, 12:16 PM
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/financialcrisis/3150319/Richard-Fuld-punched-in-face-in-Lehman-Brothers-gym.html

EvilSteve
22nd September 11, 12:17 PM
This is why liberals shouldn't be such faggots about guns.

jvjim
22nd September 11, 12:23 PM
Come on, bud, step back from the crazy ledge. Using concealed carry, deadly weapons against police in this situation would be pretty unwarranted. Should you be able to carry a pistol in New York? Absolutely. Should you bring it to a mass demonstration where you know there's going to be friction between your group and the authorities. Probably not.

EvilSteve
22nd September 11, 12:48 PM
Oh, not talking about this protest in particular, but in general people on the political left should quit working overtime to disarm themselves when both their political opponents and their government have no qualms about stockpiling big ass guns.

Besides, I'd totally shoot Fuld in the face before I shot a cop.

jvjim
22nd September 11, 01:08 PM
As much as I disagree with actually killing people outside of self defense, I have to agree with the sentiment underneath the Fuld statement.

Ajamil
23rd September 11, 02:30 AM
You think he deserves death? You think it's worth being charged with murder?

Kneecaps, man. Kneecaps.

EvilSteve
23rd September 11, 07:56 AM
Eat the rich

...poor people are too stringy

Dr. Socially Liberal Fiscally Conservative Vermin
24th September 11, 08:54 AM
BSn-IgwQAGY

resolve
3rd October 11, 08:43 PM
Ka1ym7S3F3w

13th October 11, 01:18 PM

lant3rn
13th October 11, 02:23 PM
people have been telling you these things all along yah nob.

inflation has been skyrocketing but the average wages aren't keeping up.

but your 1%ers own 40% of your countries financial wealth.

Meanwhile with only 4% of a lower income bracket reaching a higher standard of living. You get a picture how the american dream is dieing on the operating table.

The poor do all the shitty jobs in soceity that the more awfluent won't touch. They deserve alot more respect and compassion than they receive.

indy007
13th October 11, 02:48 PM
compatition

Is that supposed to be compassion, compensation, or both?

HappyOldGuy
13th October 11, 02:51 PM
Competition. There is lots of new talent moving into the recyclables collection sector.

lant3rn
13th October 11, 02:57 PM
i meant compassion.

thanks for correcting me newfish. I'll see you later in the showers

13th October 11, 03:19 PM
newfish....showers
you...uh....you don't know who indy007 is, do you?

lant3rn
13th October 11, 03:22 PM
you...uh....you don't know who indy007 is, do you?Jesus?

13th October 11, 03:25 PM
Jesus?

We should tell resolve.

13th October 11, 03:25 PM
posit vidz

Commodore Pipes
13th October 11, 04:45 PM
I can't tell who anybody is anymore, what with all your clever name changes and whatnot.

bob
13th October 11, 05:03 PM
Snake was once "lebell".

13th October 11, 05:05 PM
shhhh!!11!!1!
jez u guiz tel evryone why dont u!1!!!

lol yesh is tru!!1!!

Commodore Pipes
13th October 11, 05:08 PM
Snake was once "lebell".

Jesus, I haven't been gone THAT long.

lant3rn
13th October 11, 05:24 PM
Jesus, I haven't been gone THAT long.Snake isn't Jesus, Indy007 is. Pay attention and you'll stop being confused.

Ajamil
13th October 11, 08:34 PM
If Jesus is one of our sponsors does that mean we'll be tapping into the Catholic reserves? We might actually get paid?!

lant3rn
13th October 11, 08:52 PM
If Jesus is one of our sponsors does that mean we'll be tapping into the Catholic reserves? We might actually get paid?!Blessed are the poor arj. And you will stay blessed

Ajamil
13th October 11, 10:06 PM
It's never been a big concern to me. And we prefer to see it as the resolute are blessed with poverty - all their distractions are taken away.

indy007
14th October 11, 07:35 AM
If Jesus is one of our sponsors does that mean we'll be tapping into the Catholic reserves? We might actually get paid?!

Well... I did help make a certain troll disappear, which some may consider a miracle.

...but, If I'm Jesus, people are going to be pissed off to find out Catholic school turned their savior into an Atheist.

14th October 11, 07:43 AM
Have you broke the news to your dad yet?

Dont think he's gonna take this well.....

Robot Jesus
15th October 11, 12:33 PM
pretty sure no one said this yet, so I'll just say it. My take on this whole thing is that it's never been worse for the poor and middle class, and never been better for the rich. the only solutions proposed by government have been "give the rich more money" and "give the rich more money and tax cuts"; making the why of this protest readily apparent, it lacks a how because the question of wealth inequality is a difficult one to address.

HappyOldGuy
15th October 11, 01:00 PM
It really is. But we are dealing with a tactical decision to avoid the hard question completely.

It's like global warming. Whether it's happening is a retard question. Exactly what we should do to fix it (and how much we can) is a very real question. But various interests decided that it was better to fight the retard fight because they feel like they have the upper hand there instead of arguing about reality.

Same thing here. 99% (closer to 90, but 91-98.5 haven't actually gotten that much better) of america is worse off today than they were 30 years ago. That is a simple fact. The solutions to that are complex, but they certainly won't help the people who have benefitted, so they drag out empty cliches to obscure the issue rather than argue about real solutions.

Cullion
16th October 11, 04:16 PM
It really is. But we are dealing with a tactical decision to avoid the hard question completely.

It's like global warming. Whether it's happening is a retard question.

Yes. It stopped 13 years ago and almost all of the evidence supporting an anthropogenic case was recently exposed as scientific fraud.

Exactly what we should do to fix it (and how much we can) is a very real question. But various interests decided that it was better to fight the retard fight because they feel like they have the upper hand there instead of arguing about reality.

These economic problems will only get worse with gullible people like you trying to lead the charge. I fully expect liberals to demand some kind of transaction tax on all banks again and again until they get it, and then wonder why the banks have simply passed the charges on.

jvjim
16th October 11, 04:21 PM
Someone who understands the Keynesian fiction to the degree HOG does isn't gullible. He's simply swayed by an inherently flawed view of the economy obfuscated by complex mathematics and lazy historians.

Cullion
16th October 11, 04:28 PM
You're confusing gullibility and stupidity. HOG isn't stupid. HOG doesn't believe these things because he doesn't understand the counter arguments. HOG believes these things because he wants them to be true. He's aware on a deeper level that they're comforting fictions.

jvjim
16th October 11, 04:34 PM
It IS possible he's both gullible and stupid. He's guipid. Or stullible.

HappyOldGuy
16th October 11, 05:09 PM
And right. On almost every single prediction. Peak unemployment=right. Duration of recession=right. Post recession growth=right.

As opposed to Mr "get ready for thunderdome" over there. Who predicts rain every day and then claims psychic powers every shower. Keep up the ad hominem tho. It's easier than thinking.

Cullion
16th October 11, 05:20 PM
And right. On almost every single prediction. Peak unemployment=right.
Duration of recession=right. Post recession growth=right.

Link to these predictions.

HappyOldGuy
16th October 11, 05:23 PM
We've had this discussion before when search worked. You know the truth, and you are the only one who needs to.

Cullion
16th October 11, 05:29 PM
I know you thought I was nuts when I gave a 5 trillion figure for the bailouts, and I know you laughed when I predicted unemployment climbing towards 20% by the broadest measure which it is
http://www.shadowstats.com/imgs/sgs-emp.gif?hl=ad&t=1317994862

I know you also thought there would be no double dip, but you never made a prediction of recession duration.

You're also fond of claiming that I predicted you'd all be fighting over cans of dogfood in a radioactive wasteland, when I never claimed anything of the sort. I repeatedly pointed out that at no point would the absolute standard of living drop to a level equal to that experienced during the Great Depression, although the relative drop would be larger.

I think you're dealing with an inner struggle. On a deep level you're aware that the worst is yet to come, and it bugs you that I might be right about why.

HappyOldGuy
16th October 11, 05:50 PM
No, you specifically claimed that unemployment would be higher than the great depression. And then pulled out the above stat to support your claim, except that that measure includes "under" employed people who aren't included in unemployment figures from the depression.

Again, we've had this debate many times before. You know it's true, which is why you run away from serious debate with me nowadays, and just snipe from the sidelines.

Cullion
16th October 11, 06:07 PM
No, you specifically claimed that unemployment would be higher than the great depression.

Nope, I never did that. This is you misremembering my quite specific claim that 'the relative decline in living standards would be greater'.

And then pulled out the above stat to support your claim, except that that measure includes "under" employed people who aren't included in unemployment figures from the depression.

Unemployment figures from the depression era are all estimates, the US govt. only has reliable stats of any kind from 1939 onwards. If you want an indication of real economic desperation in the US, look at what's happened to your food-stamp claimant count.

Again, we've had this debate many times before. You know it's true, which is why you run away from serious debate with me nowadays, and just snipe from the sidelines.

There's such a thing as over-egging the pudding, when trolling.

Robot Jesus
17th October 11, 12:56 PM
You see, until a few weeks ago it seemed as if Wall Street had effectively bribed and bullied our political system into forgetting about that whole drawing lavish paychecks while destroying the world economy thing. Then, all of a sudden, some people insisted on bringing the subject up again.

a fair description of the main reason for these protests.

HappyOldGuy
19th October 11, 07:39 PM
Except that both answers are correct depending on how you interpret the question. Military spending is the largest part of discretionary spending, which is the part of the budget most people talk about when they talk about the federal budget. Social security and medicare are independently funded and not part of the annual budget.

Of course I knew that without looking it up, and you didn't. So if knowledge is relevant to the correctness of political opinions then you should probably shut the fuck up.

resolve
19th October 11, 09:23 PM
If you want an indication of real economic desperation in the US, look at what's happened to your food-stamp claimant count.

Well... illegal immigrants scamming the shit out of the system don't really help either.

Cullion
20th October 11, 06:38 AM
Well... illegal immigrants scamming the shit out of the system don't really help either.

I don't know what the figures are for illegal immigration over the last 10 years. I'd be surprised if they corresponded particularly well with the enormous increase in food stamp claimants since 2008.

20th October 11, 07:58 AM
I don't know what the figures are for illegal immigration over the last 10 years. I'd be surprised if they corresponded particularly well with the enormous increase in food stamp claimants since 2008.
you would probably need to break it down on a state-by-state basis with the determining factor being if the state will issue the necessary identification cards or driver's licenses to the undocumented illegals in order to make the claim for EBT cards.

resolve
20th October 11, 09:48 AM
http://a2.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/301447_2534549127336_1361809749_2873590_986878772_ n.jpg

Ajamil
20th October 11, 12:24 PM
One does not just go start a drum circle in Mordor...

24th October 11, 08:25 AM
Ve8HlH8w9Uo

indy007
24th October 11, 04:20 PM
Occupy denver: 3000 people
Zombie denver: 12000 people

Occupy SF went head to head with Fleet Week. About 150 people vs tens of thousands.

Nudists just don't have the same draw as the Blue Angels.

14th November 11, 01:17 PM
http://robot6.comicbookresources.com/2011/11/frank-miller-blasts-occupy-protesters-as-pond-scum-and-rapists/

http://www.chicagotribune.com/entertainment/sns-rt-sin-city-frank-millermt1wenn-newsdesk1178747-t-20111113,0,4605099.story

Frank Miller calls them out as Rapist, Thieves, Louts, Losers and Pond Scum....meanwhile the faggot Erik Larson managed to take Obama's cock out of his mouth for 5 seconds and send out this message:

"what those on Occupy Wall Street want is simple — for the rich to pay their fare share of taxes, is that so wrong?”

Easy for you to say, Image Boy. Let's see your tax returns for all that jack you made off your crappy ass Savage Dragon.

http://www.forevergeek.com/wp-content/media/2008/11/dragon-chicago.jpg
http://www.bleedingcool.com/wp-content/uploads//2011/05/osama2.jpg
http://www.majorspoilers.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/09a/SavageDragon137_c1_3rdPrint.jpg
http://www.comicbox.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/12/obama-689x1024.jpg

it's like the guy is a little lovestruck

EvilSteve
14th November 11, 01:52 PM
I personally liked this bit the best...

http://tytempletonart.files.wordpress.com/2011/11/frank-miller-funnies-websize-rev.jpg?w=500&h=1311

Wow, I mean really? I guess it shouldn't surprise me that a guy who writes comics really believes in evil masterminds running shadowy organizations which threaten to conquer the world.

14th November 11, 01:58 PM
lol, it took a Cannucklestanian to draw that comic. Ty Templeton needs to stick with his Batman Animated Adventures work.

Miller, every time I had any dealings with him, was always an ass. I love his work, but he was always an ass.

and Erik Larsen still suckles at the mule of Obama

EvilSteve
14th November 11, 02:18 PM
Okay, I'll buy that, and I'll bite- what dealings did you have with Frank Miller?

14th November 11, 02:22 PM
just dealing with him at Conventions and often staying in the same hotel as he.

Ajamil
14th November 11, 02:47 PM
Didn't Miller do the recent Not-Batman comic set in the Middle East?

Hedley LaMarr
14th November 11, 03:13 PM
Snake, has Miller always been an ass or is that a more "recent" development? The word I got from a comic shop owner a while back was that Miller went through a terrible divorce and just became an asshat, though being an asshat is always a probable impetus for divorce.

14th November 11, 03:18 PM
This was all pre-Sin City and 300 movies, so I am going to guess Hollywood didn't help.

resolve
14th November 11, 03:20 PM
My friend's boss and 7 others got arrested in the downtown square recently for "Occupy Springfield".

Idiots. They were putting down graffiti over the newly renovated square which they just finished lol) of stupid Guy Fawkes faces and the word "Occupy" everywhere.

My friend was about to quit his job over his boss... guess he's in charge now :P.

EvilSteve
15th November 11, 11:29 AM
OWS got raided last night. The cops reportedly used LRAD cannons on them (sonic weapons) and began destroying personal belongings. This started at 1AM and no media were allowed near the scene. Since then, a judge has ruled Bloomberg had no right to evict them and the protesters should be allowed back, however, Bloomberg has refused to comply "in case the judge changes her mind." The final hearing for the restraining order starts in 5 minutes (11:30 eastern).

What really sickens me though is the constant push to keep Tea Party people and Ron Paul people away from OWS. This push has largely come from the right, although the presence of Obama supporters at OWS hasn't helped. It seems very few people want to deal with a world where there are absolutely NO good guys- everyone has to believe either Mommy (the government) or Daddy (the private sector) is the one to cleave to, while the other is wrong.

Ajamil
15th November 11, 04:28 PM
The cops used sonic weaponsuxFxoLxmcdg

Robot Jesus
15th November 11, 05:41 PM
So if the judges final ruling is in favour of the protesters they could sue the city, right?

15th November 11, 06:20 PM
So if the judges final ruling is in favour of the protesters they could sue the city, right?
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

EvilSteve
16th November 11, 08:51 AM
It appears the DHS and FBI coordinated the raids:

http://wonkette.com/456282/surprise-homeland-security-coordinates-ows-crackdowns-nationwide

Fantastic- it appears Mr. Hope and Change feels that people peacefully protesting the flagrant fleecing of the U.S. taxpayer are a national security threat worthy of DHS and FBI attention.

Seriously, I expected this shit under Bush, but Obama is really trying to outdo him.

Ajamil
16th November 11, 09:01 AM
He's only following precedence. And they really were stretching the peaceful part of the definition.

And according to one Justice official, each of those actions was coordinated with help from Homeland Security, the FBI and other federal police agencies.I'm not really seeing the alarm the author is trying for. These departments were set up to keep interstate information synched and easy to send to whee it's needed. Why would they suddenly stop doing that? In any case, I would hope that if states were going try and shut down the protests, they do it all at once to lessen rumors and anger spreading.

According to this official, in several recent conference calls and briefings, local police agencies were advised to seek a legal reason to evict residents of tent cities, focusing on zoning laws and existing curfew rules. Agencies were also advised to demonstrate a massive show of police force, including large numbers in riot gear. In particular, the FBI reportedly advised on press relations, with one presentation suggesting that any moves to evict protesters be coordinated for a time when the press was the least likely to be present.
And this here is all "we sat down with local police and told them good ways to avoid hype and fanfare and riots," yet through these two items, the author makes a leap to:

cops always attack the #occupy protests because they’re told to by Obama’s Justice Department

EvilSteve
16th November 11, 09:06 AM
How is a coordinated raid on 18 cities, orchestrated by the DHS and FBI and involving a near total press blackout following precedent? Especially since no precedent had been set prior to the ruling yesterday?

16th November 11, 10:16 AM
Seriously, I expected this shit under Bush, but Obama is really trying to outdo him.
I fondly recall the days following the 2008 election when everyone was whinging on about how "Bush was the worst President, in like, FOREVER" and "Obama gonna change the WORLD!".

But if any two of the "Occupy" movements coordinated anything, then RICO.

EvilSteve
16th November 11, 10:44 AM
I fondly recall the days following the 2008 election when everyone was whinging on about how "Bush was the worst President, in like, FOREVER" and "Obama gonna change the WORLD!".

Yep- I remember that too. I didn't think Obama was going to be the messiah so many of my liberal friends did, but Jesus Fuck me H. Christ...

But if any two of the "Occupy" movements coordinated anything, then RICO.

Lol

16th November 11, 11:02 AM
I'm telling you, that is the only hook DOJ can hang their respective hats upon:

RICO.

EvilSteve
16th November 11, 12:22 PM
And I'd agree with you.

Correction though- although Jean Quan admitted there was collusion between 18 governors on evicting their respective Occupy protests, there is yet no hard evidence that the DHS or FBI were involved outside of an "anonymous source."

16th November 11, 01:14 PM
"I had a rule and I enforced it as best I could and pretty effectively. The rule was: You’re not allowed to sleep on the streets. Sorry, not allowed to sleep on the streets. Streets are not for sleeping.”

“Sleeping on the streets is a dysfunctional act. It harms the person, it harms society, it leads to unsanitary conditions that affect public health,” added Giuliani. “The first one who decided to sleep there should have been removed and then the second one, and the third one, and the fourth one and the fifth one.”

“They can protest during the daytime if they want to, but if you want to stay over in New York City overnight, you got to rent a room, and if you’re homeless we got plenty of shelters for you,”

Hedley LaMarr
16th November 11, 03:13 PM
I think you've got that quote wrong, Snake. It should go like this.

9/11

16th November 11, 03:17 PM
Bloomberg decided to let his nuts descend from his abdomen when he read Rudy Giuliani's comments

Hedley LaMarr
16th November 11, 05:57 PM
I'm wondering if the Occupy Wall Street people are considering other options for their winter encampment. They could probably find some hippy that owns a campground outside of NYC or some vacant property in NYC. Honestly camping in downtown NYC in winter is probably not a good idea.

16th November 11, 06:25 PM
I think it sounds like a fine idea for those dummies.

AAAAAA
17th November 11, 05:02 PM
The 19th Roberto Saviano will talk in Zuccotti park about organized crime and what it has to gain from the crisis.

Whatever you think of the protests, that's going to be interesting. He's a young man who basically gave up a normal life for writing a book against the Naples mafia, and he's a great speaker if you can get over his accent.

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
20th November 11, 02:01 AM
S5vV4zw-cus

http://bicyclebarricade.wordpress.com/2011/11/19/open-letter-to-chancellor-linda-p-b-katehi/

billy sol hurok
20th November 11, 08:00 AM
The modern notion of impressing the public by a mere demonstration of unpopularity, by being thrown out of meetings or thrown into jail is largely a mistake. It rests on a fallacy touching the true popular value of martyrdom. People look at human history and see that it has often happened that persecutions have not only advertised but even advanced a persecuted creed, and given to its validity the public and dreadful witness of dying men. The paradox was pictorially expressed in Christian art, in which saints were shown brandishing as weapons the very tools that had slain them. And because his martyrdom is thus a power to the martyr, modern people think that any one who makes himself slightly uncomfortable in public will immediately be uproariously popular. * * * The assumption is that if you show your ordinary sincerity (or even your political ambition) by being a nuisance to yourself as well as to other people, you will have the strength of the great saints who passed through the fire. Any one who can be hustled in a hall for five minutes, or put in a cell for five days, has achieved what was meant by martyrdom, and has a halo in the Christian art of the future.

Read the rest of the essay here. (http://www.classicreader.com/book/2281/13/)

Ajamil
20th November 11, 08:40 AM
Aww, lovely watering - the protestors seem to be blooming a bit late for the season, though. And they should really be offsets on the ends with patagonias.

20th November 11, 11:08 AM
S5vV4zw-cus
ELOHEL

Ajamil
20th November 11, 08:37 PM
Read the rest of the essay here. (http://www.classicreader.com/book/2281/13/)

Having a bit of trouble articulating why, but that article doesn't sit right with me. His objection would only apply if people are deliberately trying to become martyrs in the eyes of the public - I don't think that's what OWS is about.

billy sol hurok
20th November 11, 10:20 PM
Maybe, maybe not.

But I was referring specifically to the above video.

EvilSteve
21st November 11, 09:05 AM
http://bicyclebarricade.wordpress.com/2011/11/19/open-letter-to-chancellor-linda-p-b-katehi/

Now that's quite insensitive of you MJS- those officers were in fear for their lives. Just look at how terrified they were:

Ajamil
21st November 11, 09:35 AM
...is the group of Japanese with cameras in that shot a stereotype of Japanese or New York? I want to know if I can make fun of it.

EvilSteve
21st November 11, 09:41 AM
...is the group of Japanese with cameras in that shot a stereotype of Japanese or New York? I want to know if I can make fun of it.

Humor is sacrosanct to me, so long as it's funny.

14th December 11, 02:06 PM
http://www.campusprogress.org/campus_files/uploads/images/meme_occupysesamestreet.jpg