PDA

View Full Version : London's burning

Dr. Socially Liberal Fiscally Conservative Vermin
8th August 11, 09:43 AM
http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Guardian/Pix/pictures/2011/8/7/1312748426429/Carpetright-shop-on-Totte-007.jpg

Rioting has again erupted on the streets of Tottenham almost 26 years after the Broadwater Farm riot. But what lies beneath the latest violent outburst in this chequered corner of north London?

The majority of people trying to digest the scene of destruction along Tottenham's cordoned-off High Road on Sunday morning looked genuinely baffled.

Some were trying to get to church, others were still trying to get home from night shifts or nights out, and nearly all stood staring in disbelief at their disfigured high street.

With smoke from smouldering shops still visible overhead, residents stood in fragments of glass and bricks before burnt-out police cars and shops now razed to the ground.

The unrest hours earlier followed the fatal shooting by police of 29-year-old Mark Duggan last week, and a protest march to a High Road police station on Saturday evening in which they demanded "justice".

BBC article (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-14436529)

The police claim that Duggan fired at them from a cab so they responded. I dont see why they would shoot otherwise I mean this isnt the US.

Cullion
8th August 11, 10:00 AM
The bullet which was lodged in the police officer's radio was found to be a police issue bullet and the only non-police handgun recovered from the scene was allegedly still stuffed into a sock. I am guessing that there was a negligent discharge by one of the police officers, followed by the other cops spazzing out and firing at everything non-cop shaped, followed by a mixture of nervous silence and lying.

Just like when they killed that Brazilian electrician.

I was thinking of popping into London later to pick up a couple of 42" LCD TVs and a wii for the kids. Want anything whilst I'm there?

8th August 11, 10:04 AM
OooOoo an iPad please

Cullion
8th August 11, 10:20 AM
I've got an iPad II via work. I don't like it that much. It's just a crummy laptop with no keyboard and a screen that gets all smeared with finger-grease.

Once you've watched it rotate from 'portrait' to 'lanscape' a couple of times, the magic wears off, you know? I'm very glad I didn't buy it with my own money.

Spade: The Real Snake
8th August 11, 11:05 AM
I dont see why they would shoot otherwise I mean this isnt the US.
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/world/fiancee-says-shot-man-mark-duggan-would-never-use-a-gun/story-e6frg6so-1226111219317

lol @ the Aussies trying to feel superior to the Brits trying to feel superior to the Americans.

Cullion
8th August 11, 11:08 AM
Where did you get the impressions that the Australians were trying to feel superior?

8th August 11, 11:18 AM
Riots breaking out in Hackney now!

Cullion
8th August 11, 11:40 AM
It's probably time for the Prime Minister and the Chancellor of the Exchequer to cut their holidays short.

8th August 11, 11:47 AM
Where did you get the impressions that the Australians were trying to feel superior?

ON the Facebook page set up to record tributes to Mark Duggan, the man shot dead by armed police in Tottenham last week, he is seen gesturing with his fingers as if he is holding a gun.

8th August 11, 11:49 AM
Good thing you guys have that whole "Racist" thing taken care of and don't have fucking rabblerousers like the Tea Party or Minutemen over there, huh

8th August 11, 11:50 AM
I think maybe Snake has lost it for good his time

8th August 11, 12:06 PM
None of this bullshit that is currently occurring has fuckall to do with moral indignation nor outrage over some shitdick getting shot by racist cops.

seriously...a Carhartt shop? What are the looters planning a successful career in masonry following their running rampant over fucking Lambeth?

8th August 11, 12:10 PM
and I love your cuntish "I mean this isn't the US" bullshit

Robot Jesus
8th August 11, 12:14 PM
is this in bad taste?

yzPbNvIzMf0

8th August 11, 12:23 PM
You Canadians just wish you had the fucking stones to pull this shit off like the Brits.
I mean, the only thing that inspires you lazy faggots is hockey.

8th August 11, 12:25 PM
TAKE THAT FILTHY CAPITALIST AFFORDABLE OUTFITTER OF THE EVERYDAY WORKING MAN!
I mean....if you guize were like all COOL AND RETRO LIKE BEN DAVIS, I mean....I wouldn't NOT loot you, but it would be for different reasons and stuff. Like to score some free fucking SWAG and not to make an ironic statement.
http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/01967/carhatt_1967121c.jpg

Cullion
8th August 11, 12:27 PM
The looting is being done by flashmobs who appear to mostly organise themselves over blackberry messenger 'there's a looting on in hackney tonight, see you at corner of <x>'

8th August 11, 12:29 PM
FUCKING PIG KILLER OF MAN AND CHILD AND PROMOTER OF CHILDHOOD DIABETES OFF THE BACKS AND BROW OF THE UNDERPRIVILEGED THIRD WORLD WORKER!
http://i56.tinypic.com/2uqhhld.jpg
AND CURSE YOU FOR HAVING IMPREGNABLE WINDOWS SEPARATING ME FROM ALL YOUR DELICIOUS MCGOODNESS.

in a totally nonironic way

Robot Jesus
8th August 11, 12:29 PM
actually this is more appropriate.

gh5ogOH82Aw

8th August 11, 12:30 PM
The looting is being done by flashmobs who appear to mostly organise themselves over blackberry messenger 'there's a looting on in hackney tonight, see you at corner of <x>'
and I am sure they are using a "compassionate" and "noncorporate" carrier with all electronic equipment used and purchased in a fair-trade manner.

8th August 11, 12:35 PM
so depressing the nihilism on #LondonRiots (http://search.twitter.com/search?q=%23LondonRiots) - if you smash up Lewisham the council has no money to fix it again. Why target a deprived area?
lol, yeah so you dumbfucks go somewhere more affluent and score GOOD LOOT and not this busted up brokedick shit....huh? What's that? You bumblefucks are too broke to throw in gasmoney and carpool to the rich areas and you done torched all the buses???

Sucks to be you....guess you gotta dance with the one what brought ya!

8th August 11, 12:42 PM
We're hearing reports from Lewisham of really serious disorder. Apparently an electrical goods shop has been looted and a jewellers attacked.
there you go, my bitchez. That's how your 'Merican cousins get it done right.
Nothing sez, "Why did you racist cops shoot a man that didn't fire at you" like jewelry (JOO-REE) and flatscreens.

Robot Jesus
8th August 11, 12:55 PM
no one is arguing with you snake; anytime there's a flash-point moment like this it's followed by opportunistic looters, and the looters always vastly outnumber those motivated by the issue.

8th August 11, 01:17 PM
no one is arguing with you snake;
Who's arguing, just lulzing....although:

anytime there's a flash-point moment like this it's followed by opportunistic looters, and the looters always vastly outnumber those motivated by the issue.perhaps, then, this model of attempting to enact change is irrevocably broken and those morons might start trying a new means to an end.

Reports of a mansuffering an epileptic fit ona bus in Hackney after it was attacked with sticks and bottles. Attended to by riot officers. and by "attended to" I hope they mean "remembered the drop-gun"

They've just broken into a sandwich shop called Appetite2go. They smashed a window and climbed in and now there's crisps all over the floor as people tear through. The police have just arrived on the scene and looks set to confront them.
ahahahhahahahahahahahahahaha
I am sure those fat cops will "confront" all the crisps.

seriously, THIS IS FUCKING IMPORTANT? CRISPS ALL OVER THE FLOOR, Duncan you moronic poofter.

Cullion
8th August 11, 01:35 PM
and I am sure they are using a "compassionate" and "noncorporate" carrier with all electronic equipment used and purchased in a fair-trade manner.

I think you misunderstand the dynamics of these riots. This is nothing to do with anti-G8 protest types or middle class 'anarchists'. This is more akin to the Watts riots in how it started and the demographic involved.

8th August 11, 01:38 PM
I think you misunderstand the dynamics of these riots. This is nothing to do with anti-G8 protest types or middle class 'anarchists'. This is more akin to the Watts riots in how it started and the demographic involved.
Oh, no, I completely got that from this overtly painfully compassionate Tweet:

As rooters circled a branch of JD Sport whose windows had been smashed, a middle aged black woman screamed at them to: "Stop this madness". "We've lived here for so long and now you are ruining our community. You must stop this war or everybody is going to get killed. Think of the children whose lives you are destroying," she shouted as an alarm sounded overhead.
Where is Wolf Blitzer when you need him and DAMN SOMEBODY DONE SCOOPED UP ALL THE JORDANS

Cullion
8th August 11, 02:25 PM
This has now spread to the 2nd largest city in England, Birmingham. It's over 100 miles from the trouble in London.

http://birminghamriots2011.tumblr.com/

http://28.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lpmhu6g5Lf1r1p3wro1_400.jpg

Cullion
8th August 11, 02:38 PM
A possible indication of the level of organisation involved; This leaflet is alleged to have been found in circulation recently in London advising people at the Tottenham riot how to avoid arrest

http://desmond.yfrog.com/Himg612/scaled.php?tn=0&server=612&filename=7mxcyz.jpg&xsize=640&ysize=640

8th August 11, 02:40 PM
I love this pic
(http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2011/08/08/article-2023554-0D57AD3200000578-168_964x616.jpg)
and:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/crime/8689076/London-riots-Twitter-users-face-arrest-for-inciting-looters.html

lolz

Cullion
8th August 11, 02:43 PM
Both of those servers already appear to be down.

8th August 11, 02:47 PM
Here....pix:
http://i54.tinypic.com/oa6ag7.jpg

story:

London riots: Twitter users face arrest for inciting looters

Twitter users could face arrest for inciting violence in the wake of two nights of unrest in London, a Scotland Yard chief warned today.

Some messages posted on Twitter surrounding the riots had been "really inflammatory, inaccurate", Mr Kavanagh added.
When asked by reporters whether officers would consider arresting tweeters in relation to incitement to violence, Mr Kavanagh said "absolutely".
He later added: "That investigation is already under way and that is exactly the sort of thing we are looking at."

Feryk
8th August 11, 03:13 PM
Hey, at least Vancouver lost a Stanley Cup before they rioted.

Cullion
8th August 11, 03:28 PM
This has apparently spread to the third and possibly 4th cities.

elipson
8th August 11, 03:43 PM
Who torches a pub???

What the hell is wrong with you idiots? You don't set fire to the place that sells you alcohol!!!!

8th August 11, 03:48 PM
Who torches a pub???

What the hell is wrong with you idiots? You don't set fire to the place that sells you alcohol!!!!

20.30 Bundles of stolen lottery tickets were handed out after being looted from a newsagent on Clarence Road, Hackney, Heidi Blake reports. Rioters were seem using the flames from burning wheelie bins to light cigarettes they had stolen from a looted off license. Bottles of stolen whisky and vodka were being swigged amidst the carnage. As police charged up Clarence Road beating the crowd back with riot shields and battens, scores of rioters scattered into the Pembury Estate where they rearmed themselves with scraps of metal, bottles and bricks.

Cullion
8th August 11, 03:49 PM
not if you're a muslim.

Harpy
8th August 11, 03:53 PM
Stupid Twits. Can't believe the mayhem, scary stuff.

Cullion
8th August 11, 03:54 PM
This isn't new for the UK.

Several cities at once is a bit odd though.

8th August 11, 04:04 PM
Have they tried upping the level of their "Hug A Hoodie" program?

I think more hugs are in order.

8th August 11, 04:18 PM
Spread to Croydon now

OZZ
8th August 11, 04:21 PM
I haven't seen any pics of the guy who was shot yet..is there a racial element here? Was he East indian or something ?

Cullion
8th August 11, 04:24 PM
yes.

http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Guardian/Pix/pixies/2011/8/7/1312740662321/Mark-Duggan-007.jpg

8th August 11, 04:24 PM
http://www.thefirstpost.co.uk/assets/library/duggan-426--131281058578865300.jpg

Mark Duggan

8th August 11, 04:25 PM
damn it cullionz!

8th August 11, 04:26 PM
yes.
A gang of around 50 teenagers, some in cars and others on bikes, smashed the windows of Zee & Co clothes store and could be seen cheering as they took it in turns to empty the shop of tracksuits and shoes.

OZZ
8th August 11, 04:28 PM
Why so many cities ?
That seems very odd. Ah well, an excuse to loot and pillage is an excuse to loot and pillage, I suppose.

Cullion
8th August 11, 04:39 PM
A few pages back I posted an image of a leaflet alleged to have been found near on of the riots or on a rioter. It explains how to minimise your chances of being id'd by the police after the event, and it appears to be written by somebody with an education.

There may be some level of anarchist/far-left coordination or involvement in these events.

8th August 11, 04:39 PM
While shaping its identity as a multicultural area, the rich tapestry of its inhabitants has also created friction, manifesting itself, not least, in the Broadwater Farm riot of 1985.

8th August 11, 05:17 PM
http://s3.amazonaws.com/twitpic/photos/large/368050617.jpg?AWSAccessKeyId=AKIAJF3XCCKACR3QDMOA&Expires=1312842744&Signature=DVTyBNc3E69%2BYjbzda72X3BelAY%3D

Top 100 tweets

8th August 11, 05:17 PM
22.50 There are reports now of "hundreds" of young turkish men chasing a group of young black men down nearby Kingsland Road, Hackney.

Adouglasmhor
8th August 11, 05:35 PM
A few pages back I posted an image of a leaflet alleged to have been found near on of the riots or on a rioter. It explains how to minimise your chances of being id'd by the police after the event, and it appears to be written by somebody with an education.

There may be some level of anarchist/far-left coordination or involvement in these events.

Co-ordination is going a bit far, have yu ever talked to a brit lefty?
Sort of maybe suggestion if that's not too strong a word without being patronising but you realsiewe are on the same side

Adouglasmhor
8th August 11, 05:38 PM
None of this bullshit that is currently occurring has fuckall to do with moral indignation nor outrage over some shitdick getting shot by racist cops.

seriously...a Carhartt shop? What are the looters planning a successful career in masonry following their running rampant over fucking Lambeth?

Carhartt do a range in europe aimed at the hip hop and R & B fans. They have shrunk back their workwear range here.

Dark Helmet
8th August 11, 05:56 PM
I feel very sorry for innocent bystandards getting hurt of losing their property in all of this.

8th August 11, 06:18 PM
Carhartt do a range in europe aimed at the hip hop and R & B fans. They have shrunk back their workwear range here.
ah, so they are just like Ben Davis.

Craigypooh
8th August 11, 06:26 PM
This isn't new for the UK.

Several cities at once is a bit odd though.

That's more of a once every 30 years sort of thing.

8th August 11, 06:30 PM
http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/damianthompson/100100087/london-riots-this-is-what-happens-when-multiculturalists-turn-a-blind-eye-to-gang-culture/

lol

The roots of these appalling events are many and tangled, but for the moment let’s just focus on one: the way Britain’s educational establishment has cringed helplessly in the face of a gang culture that rejects every tenet of liberal society. It’s violent, it’s sexist, it’s homophobic and it’s racist. But it is broadly tolerated by many people in the black community, which has lost control of its teenage youths.

Adouglasmhor
8th August 11, 07:22 PM
ah, so they are just like Ben Davis. Sorry I didn't google Ben Davis in case it was a trap.

HappyOldGuy
8th August 11, 07:43 PM
Cullion, if you spring for some tickets, me and my oaktown syndicalist crew are ready to appropriate you a full kitchen dinette set.

Fight the power! (that's got the best shit).

nihilist
8th August 11, 07:45 PM
I was thinking of popping into London later to pick up a couple of 42" LCD TVs and a wii for the kids. Want anything whilst I'm there?

Souvenirs, like bodyparts and such.

Harpy
8th August 11, 08:47 PM
Where's Anders Breivik when you actually need him to take out a hundred teenagers?

Craigypooh
8th August 11, 10:16 PM
Why so many cities ?
That seems very odd. Ah well, an excuse to loot and pillage is an excuse to loot and pillage, I suppose.

Gang culture - lots of teenage gangs across the UK are seeing this as an excuse to steal.

Sky news had a report on one high street as the looting was going on. He asked one looter why she doing it and she replied "we're getting our taxes back". I don't remember ever paying tax to Dixons. If she'd said "we're getting our 2 year extended warranty premiums back" I might have had some sympathy.

bob
8th August 11, 10:25 PM
I remember when I was in Blackburn and 'they' were rioting in Oldham I think. I think the darkies went first before the white chavs counter rioted. Or something. British people talked about it like we talk about bushfires. It just happens every so often. The wonder is it doesn't happen more to be honest.

Craigypooh
8th August 11, 10:30 PM
I blame the NSPCC and their anti-smacking campaigns.

HappyOldGuy
8th August 11, 10:33 PM
I blame Maggie Thatcher and her anti-smack campaigns.

I mean as long as you keep em high, it's tough to get em to get off the couch long enough to shit. Let alone riot.

bob
8th August 11, 10:36 PM
Cullion smacks his kids. I just know he does.

bob
8th August 11, 11:40 PM
G
Sky news had a report on one high street as the looting was going on. He asked one looter why she doing it and she replied "we're getting our taxes back". I don't remember ever paying tax to Dixons. If she'd said "we're getting our 2 year extended warranty premiums back" I might have had some sympathy.

sXcI-NL3Tro

I must say that I'm astonished. A shop in London high street still selling a VCR?

HappyOldGuy
8th August 11, 11:44 PM
That dude has stones.

Seriously tho, do you guys not have foot locker?

Dark Helmet
9th August 11, 12:05 AM
Any reports of farmers markets being looted?

Craigypooh
9th August 11, 12:16 AM
That dude has stones.

Seriously tho, do you guys not have foot locker?

I was amazed he coul walk properly with balls that big.

And yes there's one in Croydon: http://www.thewhitgiftcroydon.co.uk/Centre/Retailer_Page.aspx?Unit_No=21-22

I'm guessing it's out of stock now.

Craigypooh
9th August 11, 12:18 AM
Any reports of farmers markets being looted?

Farmers are the only people with guns, so I'm not expecting it.

Cullion
9th August 11, 02:28 AM
Cullion smacks his kids. I just know he does.

Very rarely. Maybe two or three times ever. Most of the time I find biting sarcasm and a disappointed look sufficient.

Adouglasmhor
9th August 11, 02:30 AM
sXcI-NL3Tro

I must say that I'm astonished. A shop in London high street still selling a VCR?
It's a multi channel store security VCR by the look of it.

Also Waterstones untouched - yeah we know those fuckers don't read "innit".

Cullion
9th August 11, 03:46 AM
Violence has been reported in Manchester, Nottingham, Liverpool, Birmingham and Leeds so far.

Map of rioting in Liverpool

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps/ms?msid=211274847293352007810.0004aa084b2d6edef32e 6&msa=0&ll=53.399707,-2.963219&spn=0.028197,0.084028

So far the most effective tactic against rioting I've seen has been when Turkish business owners formed a kind of militia and armed themselves with knives, axes etc.. and patrolled the streets around their businesses in big groups. Police have been pretty much useless by all accounts.

Cullion
9th August 11, 04:09 AM
This cunt looks like a middle-class leftie/anarchist to me

i)white
ii)wearing glasses
iii)faggoty beret & scarf combo.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2011/08/09/article-2023874-0D5B22A500000578-684_472x498.jpg

9th August 11, 04:37 AM
Nice little vid... http://www.twitvid.com/4JTZH

bob
9th August 11, 04:56 AM
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2011/08/09/article-2023874-0D5B22A500000578-684_472x498.jpg

Snazzy dresser in the background is... carrying a walkie-talkie?

Pie of Hate
9th August 11, 05:25 AM
Looks like someone shooped kanye west into the background.

9th August 11, 05:54 AM

Cullion takes the opportunity to get the kids xmas presents early this year.

nihilist
9th August 11, 06:03 AM
No wonder he has to beat his kids.

Cullion
9th August 11, 06:40 AM
If you don't know the difference between spanking and beating I feel sorry for your wife.

Cullion
9th August 11, 08:35 AM
It's spread to Oxford now. Can't see or hear anything from where I work. Apparently somebody set fire to a McDonald's about a mile away and there are unconfirmed rumours that a sportswear store just up the road has been looted.

Cities so far: Bristol, Manchester, Liverpool, London, Nottingham, Oxford, Leeds, Birmingham.

Apparently online console communities like the Playstation network and XBox Live are popular hubs for lootings to be organised. Makes sense.

9th August 11, 09:21 AM
Snazzy dresser in the background is... carrying a walkie-talkie?
this shit is all farm fresh and just picked tonight, dawg!

9th August 11, 10:22 AM
6Gex_ya4-Oo

Fucking twats!

Vieux Normand
9th August 11, 10:29 AM
Police have been pretty much useless by all accounts.

What does the brit constabulary have against live ammo?

Or water-cannons?

High-V rubber bullets?

So far, all I see is little round shields and short batons.

One might suggest that it would be a good idea to send in Assad's henchmen, but most of his spawn are likely already living in the UK (maybe Wales, so their faces would blend right in)...

...which brings us back to the utility of live ammo.

9th August 11, 10:31 AM
Wierdly the government ruled out the use of water canons.

Anyhoo what have the riot girls have to say about all this.... Riot girls speakout. (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-14458424)

9th August 11, 10:41 AM
6Gex_ya4-Oo

Fucking twats!
no honor amongst thieves?
perish the thought.

Cullion
9th August 11, 10:42 AM
What does the brit constabulary have against live ammo?

I don't want them to play with firearms. British police officers with firearms are a danger to the law abiding public.

Or water-cannons?

They were all in Northern Ireland. It's my understanding that some are being sent over.

High-V rubber bullets?

They have threatened to start using those in London tonight if people don't behave.

HappyOldGuy
9th August 11, 10:43 AM
That's a memory that can keep a girl warm for life it is.

TCcKBc4gwAQ

OZZ
9th August 11, 11:18 AM
It's spread to Oxford now. Can't see or hear anything from where I work. Apparently somebody set fire to a McDonald's about a mile away and there are unconfirmed rumours that a sportswear store just up the road has been looted.

Cities so far: Bristol, Manchester, Liverpool, London, Nottingham, Oxford, Leeds, Birmingham.

Apparently online console communities like the Playstation network and XBox Live are popular hubs for lootings to be organised. Makes sense.

They're comin' for ya Cullion.
Start practicing your Tai Chi..
I know you Brits don't have guns, but do you own any weapons ? A sword or something?
These riots are just a stark reminder of how little power the local authorities ( in civilized countries, anyways) truly have when people decide to take to the streets.
Have they called in the military yet? With this shit going on the way it is and still spreading..I'd say its about time to declare martial law and send the troops out to restore order. No?

9th August 11, 11:20 AM
Photoshoplooter (http://photoshoplooter.tumblr.com/#.TkFLbmDZaD4.facebook)

http://27.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lpo0y3Qzi61r1qajlo1_500.png

OZZ
9th August 11, 11:24 AM
This cunt looks like a middle-class leftie/anarchist to me

i)white
ii)wearing glasses
iii)faggoty beret & scarf combo.

That rocking horse is an antique..if its not its a damn good repro.
Too bad its broken now.

Cullion
9th August 11, 11:37 AM
They're comin' for ya Cullion.
Start practicing your Tai Chi..
I know you Brits don't have guns, but do you own any weapons ? A sword or something?

I don't think anything will happen. I work at the edge of Oxford and live 15 miles away in the country.

Have they called in the military yet? With this shit going on the way it is and still spreading..I'd say its about time to declare martial law and send the troops out to restore order. No?

No, no military yet.

OZZ
9th August 11, 11:40 AM
No, no military yet.

If not now, when ?

9th August 11, 11:52 AM
First time I've heard this...

CJQHWwEpwAY

...but I dont think this is why most people are rioting though....

HappyOldGuy
9th August 11, 11:58 AM
Past a certain point, a riot is always about rioting.

Cullion
9th August 11, 12:01 PM
If not now, when ?

They probably won't be needed if we get some heavy rain in the next couple of days.

Robot Jesus
9th August 11, 01:46 PM
at what point would consider buying a gun?

9th August 11, 01:53 PM
For you Cullionz..

B1NyWbhCxZE

: D

9th August 11, 03:04 PM
First time I've heard this...

CJQHWwEpwAY

...but I dont think this is why most people are rioting though....Yes, he certainly looks and sounds like an authority and I gladly will accept his word for the genesis of the unrest.

Vieux Normand
9th August 11, 03:12 PM
One li'l chopper on a UK tour, with a load of napalm or some fuel-air explosive.

Why not? Everything of value has already been torched.

Nothing left to burn except that which has no value.

Harpy
9th August 11, 03:14 PM
Brit members - stay safe.

Fearless Ukemi
9th August 11, 03:29 PM
Time to start sending in the unmanned drones to bomb the UK.

Harpy
9th August 11, 03:43 PM
Why waste more money? I already provided the solution (wasn't meant to be disrespectful to the Norwegian victims). More a statement on how the UK would be much improved if someone took out the trash permanently.

Dark Helmet
9th August 11, 03:45 PM
That rocking horse is an antique..if its not its a damn good repro.
Too bad its broken now.

We don't need Antiques in this new world they'r creating.

Vieux Normand
9th August 11, 04:07 PM
Time to start sending in the unmanned drones to bomb the UK.

Why the plural?

Seen the size of the place? Fuck, even France is bigger.

One drone oughta do the trick...and even then, a GlobalHawk would be overkill.

HappyOldGuy
9th August 11, 04:53 PM
Apparently the brits have finally seen the light and are giving up that cricket silliness for a mans game.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/techchron/detail?entry_id=94991&tsp=1

Pie of Hate
10th August 11, 02:32 AM
The safest place to be right now is in the jobcentre. None of them will go near it.

resolve
10th August 11, 02:44 AM
Wish I could say the same. A temp agency here just got shot up recently and had all the employees killed or seriously wounded. Pics were crazy in the news.

People getting that mad over jobs -_____-

Madgrenade
10th August 11, 02:40 PM
Dudes I've been riding that north london circuit everday during all this and London is not fazed. If anything the rioters have done more for community relations in a week than the state could manage in a year. If this keeps up people will be tearing their fences down and starting communes. Peace!

Madgrenade
10th August 11, 02:42 PM
No military assistance needed.

Cullion
10th August 11, 04:45 PM
It's started up again in South East London.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/crime/8687177/London-riots-live.html

Harpy
10th August 11, 05:15 PM
How fragile is life.

Harpy
10th August 11, 05:17 PM
Over 1,000 people have been arrested. I'm sure theylly get nothing more than a smack on the wrist and be sent to merge back into society, waiting for their next opportunity.

HappyOldGuy
10th August 11, 05:19 PM
Sentence them to transportation!

Madgrenade
10th August 11, 05:44 PM
Too late. N17 basically is transportation.

* Also in the absence of any natural disasters London needs a good burning every now and then to open up areas for redevelopment. It's budget a demolition and eviction service.

Dark Helmet
10th August 11, 07:22 PM
Over 1,000 people have been arrested. I'm sure theylly get nothing more than a smack on the wrist and be sent to merge back into society, waiting for their next opportunity.

You're probably right. Most will not walk into court for some such reasons. Those that do, half will get their cases thrown out for insufficient evidence and the other half will plead guilty. Which they'll have served a fraction of that.

I would suppose that any underage delinquents arrested have their cases sealed when they become adults in the UK.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZoYUQSU38E

Robot Jesus
11th August 11, 12:37 AM
Just read two articles. One in the daily mail and one in the NYT.

Daily mail: welfare created poor people without morals

NYT: it's odd how many well to do youths with good jobs have gotten caught up in this.

Cullion
11th August 11, 02:53 AM
The two points are not contradictory.

11th August 11, 05:38 AM
In context with the complicit support of the government, the banks looted the nation's wealth while destroying countless small businesses and brought the whole economy to its knees in a covert, clean manner, rather like organised crime,

Our reaction was to march and wave banners and then bail them out. These kids would have to riot and steal every night for a year to run up a bill equivalent to the value of non-paid tax big business has 'avoided' out of the economy this year alone.

They may not articulate their grievances like the politicians that condemn them but this is absolutely political. As for the 'mindless violence'... is there anything more mindless than the British taxpayer quietly paying back the debts of others while contributing bullets to conflicts that we have absolutely no understanding of?

It's mad, sad and scary when we have to take to the streets to defend our homes and businesses from angry thieving kids, but where are the police and what justice is ever done when the mob is dressed in pin stripe?

Cullion
11th August 11, 06:08 AM
True enough. Next time this kicks off I'm going to make myself Internet General of a Zombie horde and take out the key banking institutions I feel are to blame.

AAAAAA
11th August 11, 06:14 AM
That's because you have the skills to lead the horde. If you were a kid, you'd be the zombie, craving riot instead of brains.

11th August 11, 06:44 AM
CULLION FOR PRESIDENT!!!!!

EvilSteve
11th August 11, 09:12 AM
To commemorate the event, I made a video:

XkiwVqqnJqs

Cullion
11th August 11, 01:18 PM
Theodore Dalrymple (he's a former British prison doctor as well as a writer. he writes under a false name. AIUI he still practices medicine, but I'm not sure if it's as a prison doctor or not) explains what happened. He is harsh, but perceptive. And he's a much better writer than me.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/opinion/british-rioters-the-spawn-of-a-bankrupt-ruling-elite/story-e6frg6zo-1226112640970

OZZ
11th August 11, 01:45 PM
With the Summer Games coming to London next year, I'm sure this isn't sitting well with the gov't. The city's reputation has taken a hit..
Not that it will really make any difference in the long run.
However,the big test will be whether the British goverment can keep the spectators, organizers and athletes safe when the Olympics take place.
I'm sure there are plans in the works by some radical Islamic groups to try and pull something off during the 2012 Summer Olympics.
The UK has done a pretty good job so far of uncovering terrorist plots and avoiding a major attack - lets hope this continues.

resolve
11th August 11, 03:56 PM
Sometimes I wonder if the world wouldn't be better off if the fictional events in Fight Club were to actually happen...

Craigypooh
11th August 11, 04:04 PM
Theodore Dalrymple (he's a former British prison doctor as well as a writer. he writes under a false name. AIUI he still practices medicine, but I'm not sure if it's as a prison doctor or not) explains what happened. He is harsh, but perceptive. And he's a much better writer than me.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/opinion/british-rioters-the-spawn-of-a-bankrupt-ruling-elite/story-e6frg6zo-1226112640970

That's an excellent description of the situation. I like his writing style.

Cullion
11th August 11, 04:07 PM
He's written a lot. He's a regular in The Spectator.

Dark Helmet
11th August 11, 09:27 PM
Someone brought a point on the radio today that I didn't quite agree with all. The reasons for why we haven't seen riots in other parts of Briton such as Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland are first larger population density's (those countries having smaller ones) and much larger immigration to the larger English cities.

I thought it was wrong that blaming immigrants was nonsensical and a bit racist. And yet there has been no violence in these other parts of Briton. Or even the Republic of Ireland. I mean the unemployment level should be almost the same in these countries.

So, would anyone care to explain why is that?

Robot Jesus
11th August 11, 09:57 PM
ever heard of English whisky?
what about Irish or Scottish?

gin is the root of all evil.

Dark Helmet
11th August 11, 10:14 PM
Whisky has always brought me joy in my life. But Gin makes me sleepy

bob
12th August 11, 12:01 AM
Gin is bad for your uterus. True story.

Frank White
12th August 11, 12:27 AM
I don't know what this is all about, but it has apparently delayed shipment on my Sergio Tacchini track suit.

Adouglasmhor
12th August 11, 12:58 AM
Someone brought a point on the radio today that I didn't quite agree with all. The reasons for why we haven't seen riots in other parts of Briton such as Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland are first larger population density's (those countries having smaller ones) and much larger immigration to the larger English cities.

I thought it was wrong that blaming immigrants was nonsensical and a bit racist. And yet there has been no violence in these other parts of Briton. Or even the Republic of Ireland. I mean the unemployment level should be almost the same in these countries.

So, would anyone care to explain why is that?

Glasgow and Edinburgh have pretty big Immigrant populations and population density is pretty high there too, but even if we didn't the vast majority of rioters in England were born there 3rd gen or more. Load of shite saying it's Immigrants. Plus Smeato.

elipson
12th August 11, 01:39 AM
Immigrants themselves don't lead to these kinds of riots, but lack of proper integration, taking the form of higher unemployment and terrible education, can lead to this kind of violence. Take France for example.

Cullion
12th August 11, 02:53 AM

Unemployment is generally higher in Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales (and a much higher percentage of the employment that there is, is dependent on government spending to maintain it).

Northern Ireland has it's own reasons for civil unrest, and much different policing arrangements to deal with it.

Whilst Dougie says there are 'loads' of immigrants in Edinburgh and Glasgow, the proportions are substantially lower than in England, and in particular the afro-Caribbean population is substantially lower, both in numbers and as a percentage. Scotland and Wales haven't had to absorb anything like the immigrant influx of England.

Here are the figures for Scotland
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demography_of_Scotland

And here for England
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demography_of_England

The demographics of the areas affected tended to have higher percentages of Afro-caribbean people than the English average.

The afro-Caribbean community formed a substantial component of the rioters in London, having been the community initially angered by the shooting of Mark Duggan.

I am not arguing that black people are inherently prone to riot, just the fact that this did start out as a grievance of the afro-caribbean community against the police probably explains why rioting seems to have been focussed on areas with high afro-caribbean populations.

bob
12th August 11, 04:09 AM
Jesus, an old man got bashed to death in Ealing... Law students, children, middle class professionals. Bizarre.

Cullion
12th August 11, 04:59 AM
People travel around London. There are very wealthy areas right next to relatively poor areas. There are no walls seperating them. Ealing isn't a gated community.

12th August 11, 05:24 AM
At one point I was thinking how admirable the self organised millitias were. Then the thought occured to me that this is exactly the kind of thing the EDL will jump all over to push their own agenda.

Then sure enough I saw a report with an interview from a woman claiming to have seen gangs of blokes running around shouting "Get the black bastards!"

12th August 11, 06:16 AM
http://photos-c.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/262798_10150254140676090_583276089_8137837_7463479 _s.jpg

Some of you maybe aware bit recently the government started an advertising campaign asking the public to report people who had anarchist sympathies to he police.

12th August 11, 08:08 AM
People travel around London. There are very wealthy areas right next to relatively poor areas. There are no walls seperating them. Ealing isn't a gated community.
pretty much the way San Francisco is, three blocks can separate classes.

billy sol hurok
12th August 11, 09:05 AM
Notting Hill Carnival should be exciting this year, yes?

Any of you gone in years past?

12th August 11, 10:00 AM
SSsshhhhh nobody has mentioned the carnival yet!

If they stop it there'll be riot. If they dont there maybe a riot...

Cullion
12th August 11, 10:51 AM
Notting Hill Carnival should be exciting this year, yes?

Any of you gone in years past?

Yes. I like caribbean food. No, I didn't get my pocket picked.

billy sol hurok
12th August 11, 11:45 AM
26lKlufikmE

Robot Jesus
12th August 11, 12:42 PM
pretty much the way San Francisco is, three blocks can separate classes.

I got lost once while drunk, that was actually a little frightening.

12th August 11, 12:50 PM
I got lost once while drunk, that was actually a little frightening.
I got lost on campus drunk, once.
I had to call my girlfriend, on a campus phone, to come and find me.
She was like, "WHERE ARE YOU" and I had no fucking idea other than, "Uh...I dunno...some building"

OZZ
12th August 11, 03:20 PM
The only city in Scotland where I felt a bit uneasy was Glasgow. There were a lot of dirty, desperate-looking young men asking for change and hanging around the streets. But as soon as they realized we weren't residents of the country, they left us alone.
Hell, we shared a cab with two complete strangers back to our hotel the same night after we missed the last bus. They even refused when we tried to pay our share of the fare.
I've heard from more than one person that London is the type of city that isn't exactly trouble at every corner - but if you are looking for trouble (ie. wanting to buy drugs, looking to gamble etc.) you can find it very quickly.

Cullion
12th August 11, 03:44 PM
Gambling isn't illegal in the UK, casinos operate under local govt. licence.

You could find drugs quickly in small town England, never mind London.

There isn't much effective enforcement of drug laws, the police basically don't seem to care about anything softer than cocaine or heroin unless really large quantities and/or violence are involved.

jvjim
12th August 11, 04:22 PM
An old roommate of mind told me how they controlled rioting in Nashville during the floods.

Dark Helmet
12th August 11, 05:34 PM

You could find drugs quickly in small town England, never mind London.

There isn't much effective enforcement of drug laws, the police basically don't seem to care about anything softer than cocaine or heroin unless really large quantities and/or violence are involved.

Spoken like a man who's been down every dark alley in London.

Cullion
12th August 11, 05:58 PM
I've never lived in London, I just visit every couple of months. I live about 60 miles west.

I had no trouble finding weed, acid, ecstasy or amphetamines in the early 90s in a small town of 10,000 people.

Dark Helmet
12th August 11, 06:50 PM
I remember that you live in Oxford or close by now. Was Oxford hit hard by the "troubles"?

Cullion
13th August 11, 03:28 AM
A McDonald's, and a car were torched a couple of miles from where I work some time in the early hours of Tuesday morning, didn't see anything just heard it on the news.

On Tuesday afternoon there were a lot of rumours flying around and when I went to a martial arts class at 7pm in one of the cheaper parts of town I noticed :-

i) Small groups of teenage boys sat around checking their phones a lot.

ii) A guy in his 20s walked past me talking on his mobile and I heard him say 'where is this riot then? I want to be in the middle of it'.

iii) The main Mosque in Oxford nearby had a lot of people coming and going and the asian shopkeepers either had their grills down or were sitting in front of their stores with all their young male relatives standing around, watching the street.

iii) An armoured police van kept driving up and down the road every couple of minutes and a couple of cars (that is a heavy police presence by the standards of this neighbourhood).

But nothing happened. I suspect the groups of teenage boys didn't reach the critical mass needed to feel that special kind of stupid confidence.

13th August 11, 08:14 AM
It sounds as if that ounce of prevention was well worth the evidential pound of ass-kickery awaiting any of the submoronic teenage boys

13th August 11, 09:25 AM
Around here there was a police car every other street.

There had been a shooting over the weekend (gang related) and when the police turned up quite a crowd appeared. Fortunantly communittee leaders and youth workers calmed the whole thing down without any serious confrontation.

jvjim
13th August 11, 11:21 AM
Look on the bright side, guys; fixing all that broken glass will be great for your economy!

Lollius Urbicus
13th August 11, 07:00 PM
Its pretty easy to find drugs in small English market towns.

I'm in Cardiff at the moment and there is a noticeably visible and heavy police presence everywhere you go. Lots of cars out in large numbers.

And the other day a very sizeable convoy of at least 10 vans and pandas came hurtling down the dual carriageway with the blues and twos going. Don't know where they were off to, but it must have been important because a unmarked car suddenly put its lights on and peeled away from the traffic to follow them as they buzzed past.

jubei33
13th August 11, 07:47 PM
An old roommate of mind told me how they controlled rioting in Nashville during the floods.

Does that dude have a .454 cassul or is it a python super mag?

edit: don't want to find out.

Arhetton
13th August 11, 08:01 PM
Look on the bright side, guys; fixing all that broken glass will be great for your economy!

*Stands. Slowly starts clapping*

Robot Jesus
14th August 11, 05:21 PM
And the other day a very sizeable convoy of at least 10 vans and pandas

http://verydemotivational.files.wordpress.com/2010/02/129096269489219948.jpg

I take back everything bad I've ever said about her majesties police.

OZZ
15th August 11, 11:32 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes, I know ..but I was referring to underground gambling though..seedy poker games run by mobsters/gang members etc.
A friend of mine participated in one at an 'after hours' pub in London. he said there were mostly middle-class working men in attendance, but he suspected that the game itself was being run by a couple of mean-looking toughs sitting off by themselves.
The door was being handled by what he described as a ' huge black guy'.