PDA

View Full Version : How do YOU feel about Postal Workers ??

OZZ
4th June 11, 10:22 AM
Well, its that time again..the posties are taking strike action and the media is portraying them as whiners, lazy morons who make too much money etc.

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/canada-post-union-meet-today-workers-walk-off-083717029.html

This is always a shitty time in my house. My wife works for Canada Post, she's stressed out and miserable. I really don't sympathize with the Postal Worker's and their scamming union, but I can't say that or my wife would have my balls in her purse.
Truth of the matter is, the public's perception of Postal Workers is very negative, but a lot of people are misinformed as to how much money they make and how 'easy' their job is. It may not be rocket science, but my wife's job is far from 'easy' - she works very hard.
Having said that, paper mail is soon going the way of the dinosaur..and these people will be obsolete. Its not a big deal to us, because we have a side business and my little gal will just be a full-time antique furniture dealer if she ever loses her job. But for some people, wel..time to go back to school.
So, my question to you supposedly intelligent people is : How do YOU feel about Postal Workers? Do you have the same negative opinion of them that most people in the public sector do? Should they just be happy to have their jobs and a decent pension plan and avoid strikes?
What say you?

OZZ
4th June 11, 12:55 PM
Who's messing with my posts? I didn't put' supposedly' in front of 'intelligence' in that sentence..
Steve? Are you making jokes?

elipson
4th June 11, 01:45 PM
Fuck em.

Like you said, paper mail is becoming obsolete. I don't feel like paying them more from the tax payer dime.

Striking is also a stupid idea for Canada Post in general. If they strike, rival post services will expand in the market. Why waste time with a striking postal service when you can just send things by fed ex or UPS?

Spade: The Real Snake
4th June 11, 01:51 PM
I feel my postal worker as often as she allows.

Robstafarian
4th June 11, 02:20 PM
I am on friendly terms with the postman (actually, woman) who delivers most often. My take on the “paper mail is obsolete” mantra is “What would you rather take to court: registered mail or ‘This is totally the right email! Look at the headers!’?”

Robot Jesus
4th June 11, 02:37 PM
I feel nothing but callow avarice and quixotic ennui.

OZZ
4th June 11, 03:49 PM
Fuck em.

Like you said, paper mail is becoming obsolete. I don't feel like paying them more from the tax payer dime.

Striking is also a stupid idea for Canada Post in general. If they strike, rival post services will expand in the market. Why waste time with a striking postal service when you can just send things by fed ex or UPS?

I agree..the big issue this time around is sick time and long-term illness , not wages. But they would be better served by staying on the job and getting all they can while they can.
My wife recognizes the realities, and she is fortunate enough to have something to fall back on when the inevitable comes. Her fellow workers should prepare themselves too..
Its not really fair the way the postal workers are portrayed as greedy and lazy in the media though..my wife works very hard and its not a nice working environment at all. Its far from cushy..

Cullion
4th June 11, 07:51 PM
I am on friendly terms with the postman (actually, woman) who delivers most often. My take on the “paper mail is obsolete” mantra is “What would you rather take to court: registered mail or ‘This is totally the right email! Look at the headers!’?”

Somebody doesn't understand the concept of a digital signature.

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
4th June 11, 08:14 PM
I really like writing a physical letter. Putting pen to ink is fun. It's creative. I don't get the same feel out of writing an electronic letter.

but it's totally obsolete and electronic communication makes a lot more sense for business, for science, for all sorts of shit.

Robstafarian
4th June 11, 11:43 PM
Somebody doesn't understand the concept of a digital signature.
It isn't me; I just don't trust anyone in a courtroom to understand the technology I take for granted (did I mention I've used Linux as my primary desktop operating system for nine years?).

resolve
5th June 11, 12:06 AM
Know what saved the USPS here in the States?

Netflix and Ebay.

Nasreal
5th June 11, 12:22 AM
I agree..the big issue this time around is sick time and long-term illness , not wages. But they would be better served by staying on the job and getting all they can while they can.
My wife recognizes the realities, and she is fortunate enough to have something to fall back on when the inevitable comes. Her fellow workers should prepare themselves too..
Its not really fair the way the postal workers are portrayed as greedy and lazy in the media though..my wife works very hard and its not a nice working environment at all. Its far from cushy..
Nobody hears about any sort of public sector workers that just do their jobs and quietly make their wages, and are just trying to get a living. What is the only way a public sector worker makes the news? When they strike, which pisses everyone the hell off. Or, when one is found stealing, slacking off, getting ridiculous pensions, etc etc etc. If the only time you ever hear about a group of people is when they do something that chaps your ass. No fucking wonder you hate on them.

Cullion
5th June 11, 06:24 AM
It isn't me; I just don't trust anyone in a courtroom to understand the technology I take for granted (did I mention I've used Linux as my primary desktop operating system for nine years?).

Lawyers call expert witnesses.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_signatures_and_law#United_States

Robot Jesus
5th June 11, 12:17 PM
what about when less is at steak, replace judge with jackass bureaucrat at the registry? I'd rather have registered mail.

resolve
5th June 11, 12:54 PM
what about when less is at steak

http://www.steakbarn.com/images/steak.jpg

Adouglasmhor
7th June 11, 01:13 AM
Lawyers call expert witnesses.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_signatures_and_law#United_States

Why do courts in the UK insist on first class proof of postage for summons and citations with paper proof of sending?

Or physical citation by bailiff, process server or sheriff's officer?

nihilist
7th June 11, 02:01 AM
USPS has always been a bargain. Not only that, I tip my postman. They work their asses off.

Spade: The Real Snake
7th June 11, 08:32 AM
just the tip, Reese?

OZZ
7th June 11, 09:19 AM
USPS has always been a bargain. Not only that, I tip my postman. They work their asses off.

Nice to hear somebody speak positively about posties for once.

KO'd N DOA
7th June 11, 09:54 AM
The early pension (55), 7 weeks vacation, all that goes a long way to dampening enthusiasm.

Normally I do not slag Canada Post, cause in some of the places I have lived where they are the only place that cashes checkes, does money orders in the town.

My mail goes to another house with the same number on a different street, different postal code?

My issue is that people scream when gas goes up a litre, but Canada Post increases stampage fees every Jan first, no one says boo.

How do you send wedding invites electronically..

EvilSteve
7th June 11, 10:03 AM
How do you send wedding invites electronically..

Engraved text messages. They're the new classy.

KO'd N DOA
7th June 11, 10:21 AM
So that special e-mail for Valentines, Christmas, Mothers/Fathers day, and birthdays will now suffice? I may never be in the dog house again.

nihilist
7th June 11, 10:47 AM
just the tip, Reese?

That is what my father told my mother.

See? Miracles do happen.