PDA

View Full Version : Will Phoenix Relocate To Winnipeg?

OZZ
16th March 11, 12:59 PM
Apparently, the purchase that the NHL would like to see go through is in trouble. The league is trying hard to keep the team in Phoenix at all costs, but a lawsuit over the current proposed transaction between the NHL and Glendale is imminent. IF the deal falls through, the sale of the team to a Canadian-based group of investors is a strong possibility. If that happens, they will want to move the team back to Winnipeg. The arena there holds 15,000 plus boxes, On paper, it looks like everything will work out now that the dollar is competitive, unlike it was when the team moved (remember the 68 cent US dollar?) and the salary cap is in place.
So, will they move back or not?
I am saying yes..because Don Cherry said it is a sure bet.

Spade: The Real Snake
16th March 11, 01:31 PM
So, we were just renting them and spent tons of tax dollars on a new Arena and managed to get some semblance of legitimacy by allowing Winnipeg to claim Gretzky's involvement with the franchise, now?

OZZ
16th March 11, 05:05 PM
The move was mainly the result of two things:
- The commissioner was following through on his 'sunbelt expansion' plan to try and grow the sport in non- traditional markets in the USA. In a matter of a few years there were teams in Arizona ,which relocated from Winnipeg, Dallas- they moved from Minnesota which is a very strong hockey market -and they have since managed to get themselves an NHL team back.Anaheim, California the MIGHTY DUCKS as they were originally called, were brought in by Disney, later sold to private investors. It was big boost for the league PR wise to have Disney involved. Atlanta , which also had a franchise back when the league expanded in the early 70's, but it failed and moved to Calgary in the early 80's. The current franchise is in deep trouble and will likely move if the team does not improve soon. As well as Miami, Florida -they are struggling at the gate and have missed the playoffs for almost 10 years in a row. Their future is uncertain as well.The other owners were happy, at first..but NOW they are helping foot the bill for failing franchises and all the gains they made back then are being eaten up.
- the other reason Winnipeg moved was economics. The Cdn, Dollar was at an all-time low and 90% of player's salaries were in US dollars. The arena was also out of date and needed to be replaced.
In a nutshell, Bettman is too stubborn to admit that his expansion plan has failed miserably, he is working three times as hard to keep a failing franchise in Arizona than he did at trying to keep the Jets and Nordiques in Canada.
Wayne Gretzky bought into the team after he retired and then (rather stupidly, in my opinion) got involved in management and coaching. He tried hard to make the team competitive but never got them into the playoffs , then when the league bought up Phoenix because they were bankrupt - they basically told Gretzky they didn't want him around anymore. It was a real slap in the face and a shitty way to treat the game's greatest player and ambassador. The most he ever owned in the team was around 15% or something.
Phoenix/Winnipeg has lost money EVERY year since it moved , on average $25 million a year.
Out of all the 'sunbelt expansion teams' - the only one's with any staying power, in my opinion, are San Jose, Tampa Bay, Dallas and perhaps Anaheim. The rest will not last unless the owners continue to be convinced that having failing, bankrupt franchises is good for the game. ,Tampa and Dallas have both won Stanley Cup's and the hockey market in California is surprisingly strong. Los Angeles has been around since the 70's..and now they have three teams in that State. This year was the first that a homegrown California boy was drafted in the top 10 and LA picked him up.

16th March 11, 05:11 PM
The NHL wanted to hitch their wagon to Jerry Colangelo, whom had the "Midas Touch" with the Suns and managed to pull money out of an Arena Football team. They knew he would be getting MLB into Phoenix with the D-Backs, saw he got a new stadium built in downtown Phoenix for the suns and figured he would infuse the league with much jack.

OZZ
16th March 11, 05:19 PM
The NHL wanted to hitch their wagon to Jerry Colangelo, whom had the "Midas Touch" with the Suns and managed to pull money out of an Arena Football team. They knew he would be getting MLB into Phoenix with the D-Backs, saw he got a new stadium built in downtown Phoenix for the suns and figured he would infuse the league with much jack.

Yep..sounds about right.
He was instrumental in getting the team moved there in the first place. I think his son was/is the GM of the Toronto Raptors BB team.
Colangelo definitely has much jack.

16th March 11, 05:32 PM
At the time of the sale, Colangels was the magic touch in Phoenix. He took over the Suns in the wake of the Walter Davis Cocaine Scandal and traded away Larry Nance for the cornerstones of their success (Kevin Johnson and the draft pick that turned out to be Dan Majrle). Gets a new arena and single handedly revitalizes downtown Phoenix. Guy turns around, lands Charles Barkley and gets them to the Finals.

He makes Arena Football into the place to be in Phoenix AND gets a MLB team in Arizona. With Bidwell's Cardinals floundering at the time, Colangelo could do no wrong and it seemed a natural for Phoenix to be a four-sport town. He did "all the right things" by way of marketing the logo and the merch and landing Roenick and later Hull. He gets a new hockey only stadium in the newly expanded Glendale area, where the new Cardinals stadium is, but for some reason, asses ain't fillin' seats.

OZZ
16th March 11, 08:43 PM
I remember reading at least once that moving the team from one end of the city to the other has had a detrimental effect on attendance as well. Apparently the first arena was in a more working-class suburb or something and now its in a richer area?
You would know better than I , I don't have a clue what the city is like.
But, bottom line... the team has not been very good for the most part. They are better now, but they haven't made it past the first round of the playoffs since the 1980's when they were still the Jets.
The way I figure it..in the USA your typical sports fan has to decide where to spend their $$ - you have baseball, football and basketball - all three are in Phoenix - to compete with Hockey. Unless you really get into it or are raised with it, you just aren't going to spend money on Hockey games. Everyone has a budget except the very rich.
Speaking of the very rich, corporate sponsorship and the purchasing of luxury boxes is always a pivotal factor in getting and keeping a franchise as well. I think there was at least so-so corporate support in Arizona in the beginning, but I don't know about now.
But if they had a competitive team the last ten years, maybe things would be different. Pittsburgh was bankrupt too, but a new ownership group got the city to help build an arena and they ended up staying. But they also won the jackpot and got to draft Sidney Crosby at just the right time. He basically saved that franchise, the same way Mario Lemieux did in the 80's.

16th March 11, 11:22 PM
I remember reading at least once that moving the team from one end of the city to the other has had a detrimental effect on attendance as well. Apparently the first arena was in a more working-class suburb or something and now its in a richer area?
The first arena US Airways Center, the formerly known America West Arena, was in downtown Phoenix (http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&biw=1440&bih=668&q=US%20Airways%20Center&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wl) and the Jobbing.com Center is in Glendale (http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&biw=1440&bih=668&q=US%20Airways%20Center&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wl), a suburb of Phoenix. It is closer to the Cardinals' stadium and right off the freeway, but the US Airways Center was in walking distance from most of the offices and corporations in downtown.

Speaking of the very rich, corporate sponsorship and the purchasing of luxury boxes is always a pivotal factor in getting and keeping a franchise as well. I think there was at least so-so corporate support in Arizona in the beginning, but I don't know about now.
they had pretty good corporate sponsorships. Phoenix became a good draw for corporations pulling several companies from California.

The desert just isn't a hockey town, there is only a handful of ice rinks and hockey isn't really a high school sport like it is in Canada.

KO'd N DOA
21st March 11, 12:48 PM
You would think with all the Canadina asthmatics and TB surviving refugees that moved to that dry climate, they would fill the rinks, like they do in Florida.

OZZ
21st March 11, 04:08 PM
You would think with all the Canadina asthmatics and TB surviving refugees that moved to that dry climate, they would fill the rinks, like they do in Florida.

Florida has more snowbirds..
If Phoenix had been a contender these past ten years, things might have panned out differently. But they weren't..so they need to come home.

OZZ
19th April 11, 01:52 PM
This re location is all but a done deal.
The Jets are coming home !!

KO'd N DOA
19th April 11, 02:53 PM
Now for the Nordiques!!! Repatriate our teams.

OZZ
20th April 11, 04:51 PM
Uh Oh..I have a bad feeling about this.
I am afraid that some underhanded dealings are going on and this might screw up what seemed to be a sure thing.
This meeting is being held in an open forum, so that is a positive. But that doesn't necessarily mean that money isn't exchanging hands in back door negotiations.
Wow. I hope this doesn't ruin things. This franchise has lost money for 10 YEARS straight ! How this can go on is beyond me. Even if good ol' Gary is lining the owners pockets with cash every year. It just seems so counter-intuitive.
Fucking corrupt bastards. Most of these people don't give a damn about hockey.

NHL TO MEET WITH GOLDWATER IN LAST EFFORT TO SEE COYOTES REMAIN IN PHOENIX

TSN Sports

It could be one of the last efforts left to ensure that the Phoenix Coyotes stay in the desert.

The City of Glendale and the Goldwater Institute announced Wednesday that the two parties will meet on Thursday to talk about the Coyotes situation in an open discussion. Goldwater has been willing to meet with the city for weeks, but only in a forum that is open to the media.

The city, according to Goldwater, is now willing to do so with a third party present.

"As you may have heard, Glendale Mayor Scruggs has invited the Goldwater Institute to meet to discuss our concerns with the city of Glendale's plan to issue bonds to help a businessman buy the Phoenix Coyotes," the government watchdog said in a statement.

"To ensure transparency, we have agreed to have a neutral third-party transcript of the conversation made available to the public and members of the press. We are pleased to be meeting with Glendale in this open manner and look forward to sharing the results of the meeting with you."

Goldwater has threatened to sue the City of Glendale, believing its efforts to raise money through the sale of bonds to aid Chicago businessman Matthew Hulsizer's team purchase are in violation of Arizona's constitution.

20th April 11, 05:27 PM
lol
golf during All-Star week is a tempting lure.

OZZ
22nd April 11, 09:27 PM
This is a bit ironic..
His dad is originally from Brandon, Manitoba. Not far from where the Coyotes will be playing next year..
I hope the kid has a long, productive career.
Good luck Brett !

Phoenix Signs Son of Former NHL'er Ron Hextall To Contract
TSN Sports

GLENDALE, Ariz. -- The Phoenix Coyotes signed North Dakota junior forward Brett Hextall to an entry-level contract Friday.

Hextall, the 23-year-old son of former NHL goalie Ron Hextall, had 13 goals, 16 assists and 63 penalty minutes in 39 games this past season for the Fighting Sioux. In 115 games in three seasons at North Dakota, he had 39 goals, 42 assists and 242 penalty minutes.

Phoenix drafted the five-foot-11, 195-pound Hextall, from Manhattan Beach, Calif., in the sixth round in 2008.

Hextall's grandfather, Bryan Hextall Jr.; great grandfather, Bryan Hextall Sr.; and great uncle, Dennis Hextall, also played in the NHL.

Phoenix was swept by Detroit in the first round of the playoffs.

OZZ
29th April 11, 12:06 PM
Latest word on this :
If the Coyotes stay in Glendale, the Atlanta owners are going to try and fast-track a deal to sell the Thrashers to the ownership group in Winnipeg and have them there by next season.
I don't think things can happen quite that quickly, but there is a sense that the Thrasher's owners WANT OUT in a big way. So if not this summer, they will move to the peg next year.
Either way, it looks like a team is still coming back to Manitoba.
Have you heard anything new , Snake ?

30th April 11, 12:37 AM
nothing new, other than your own mayor is saying the team probably won't move back.

OZZ
4th May 11, 11:59 AM
The latest..
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=364482

I don't know if Glendale would have been in such a hurry to pay if they weren't pretty certain the team wasn't going to stay.
I do know this much, the deadline for a decision must be soon. They have to draw up the schedule for next season and the arenas all over North America have other business to tend to as well..they can't keep them hanging forever.
Just get it over with already.

4th May 11, 12:29 PM
Tax revenue generated must be significantly greater than that $25 million.

OZZ
11th May 11, 07:52 PM
Well, it looks like the Coyotes are staying put for at least one more season..

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=365375

What a bunch of bullshit.

12th May 11, 10:21 AM
Canada: PWNZRD again.

OZZ
12th May 11, 11:19 AM
The stupidest thing about it is that if the Thrashers don't end up going to Winnipeg instead ( because they are for sale too and there has been talk of a deal there as well), the city of Phoenix, the NHL and Winnipeg could end up doing the same song and dance next April. This is just a temporary solution to avoid relocation. The NHL still owns the team and has to find a buyer..word has it that Hulitzer, or what ever his name is, has been getting cold feet and may not buy the Coyotes after all. I gues he must have finally spoken with some of the other owners around the league instead of just listening to Gary 'The Weasel' Bettman..
I was just reading this morning that the Columbus Blue jackets lost $37 million this year and have lost money for three years running. If that keeps up, the relocation rumors will start flying there too. Although I believe that Ohio is a good market and fans will support the team if they start winning. They have only made the playoffs once since their inception..
Well, we'll have top see what happens with this Atlanta situation. One thing that is obvious is that the NHL , and Gary the weasel in particular, don't want a team in Winnipeg right now and will only allow it if its a last resort. They did everything in their power to keep the team in a failing market instead of moving it to a city where they would be a sure bet to draw crowds.

12th May 11, 11:38 AM
They moved FROM Winnipeg BECAUSE the market was so small and unable to to put out a top competitive team, year after year. Unless things changed, Winnipeg will be doing this same dance in another couple of years AFTER the move. Fact is, they don't have the resource potential nor the demographics to pull from.

Population of Phoenix Metro = 4.1 million
Population of Winnipeg = 650K

OZZ
13th May 11, 01:38 PM
Well, You are forgetting a few things Snake.
# 1 - MAJOR reason the team couldn't hack it anymore - low Canadian dollar at the time , just .65 cents US. With almost all player salaries in US dollars. That won't happen again any time soon. If anything, the US dollar will be at .85 cents Cdn. ini the near future.
#2 - Needed a new arena - which they now have.
#3 - An owner with deep pockets. The former ownership group did not have the 12 th richest man in the world at the helm - True North Sports DOES.

When they left, the Jets were averaging 11, 000 fans per game in a 15, 000 seat arena. The economy was terrible and they had no luxury suites ( which is the BIG revenue source, not the pauper's seats) in that arena.
The new arena seats 15, 000 and has luxury boxes, half of which are already sold out if and when the Jets return.
Also, the city of Winnipeg isn't the only place people come from to watch the games. Brandon is a big hockey town which is not far away and has a surrounding-area population of between 70,000 and 150,000 depending on which locales are included.
I think that having lost their team once, the people will work hard to keep the new team in Winnipeg. There will be major ticket drives and keeping them there won't be an issue from that particular standpoint.
Population alone is not the barometer to use, Snake. Mexico City has what..6 million people? Do you think they could sell out an NHL arena? No, because its not a hockey market - neither is Arizona. Manitoba, on the other hand IS. Population 650,000 - probably 2/3 of which are hockey fans, if not more.Ticket prices will be kept reasonable so that the average joe with a $50,000 a yr. job can go to a game or two every month.
However..
The one major factor that will make thing tough for a team in Winnipeg - attracting big talent. Edmonton suffers from major PR problems because of its location and Winnipeg will be an even harder sell, to some, but not to all.
Make no mistake, Winnipeg is hardly a first rate city compared to other options a player might have - especially if he is a family man. Its cold, has a high crime rate , its not exactly bursting with great schools or a snazzy night-life. But if you like the Northern atmosphere, mountain-climbing, camping, boating,fishing etc.in the summer months it may have some appeal.Probably moreso for young, single hockey players who wouldn't mind being close to Jasper, Banff and the BC rockies.
Russian draftees would be used to the climate and probably wouldn't care - until they became multi-millionaires anyways.
There are some players who have come right out and said they wouldn't play in Winnipeg, but others like the Jets most famous player and superstar, Teemu Selanne, had nothing but nice things to say about the city.
Overall, it will make some difference, but not a hug difference. Money talks.
Snake, If the Jets come home, or another team ends up relocating there, it will be there for good.

13th May 11, 01:55 PM
Most Arizonians move here form another state or Canada.
Witness when the Bears or Packers or Giants come to play the Cardinals, the mix used to be 80% against and now is a good solid 50/50.

OZZ
13th May 11, 02:18 PM
The prevailing economy was the major driving force behind the relocation of both Quebec and Winnipeg. That and the fact that neither franchise could afford a new, up to date arena that spoke of the new realities of the NHL.
Winnipeg now has an arena.Quebec does not and that is why the drive to get a team back in Manitoba is being taken seriously by the NHL and Quebec City is being largely ignored.
The corporate support in Winnipeg isn't huge, but with the new owner, it doesn't need to be.
The biggest obstacle is Gary The Weasel's huge ego.

Japuma
20th May 11, 01:10 AM
http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=563305&navid=mod-rr-headlines

According to an unconfirmed and to this point unsubstantiated report in the Globe and Mail, an agreement to sell the National Hockey League's Atlanta Thrashers to a Winnipeg group which plans to relocate the franchise to the Manitoba capital is done.

Sources told the Globe and Mail Thursday night that preparations are being made for an announcement Tuesday of the sale and transfer of the Thrashers to True North Sports and Entertainment, which owns and operates the Manitoba Moose of the American Hockey League and the MTS Centre arena, which would become the NHL team’s new home.

Now who gets moved to the SE Division? Personally, I would like to see Nashville as it would bring some real credibility to the division.

OZZ
23rd May 11, 10:50 AM
Weird how things turn out..
Indeed, there WILL be a hockey team in the Manitoba capital next season. But it won't be the Coyotes/Jets ..the Thrashers are coming to town!
Japuma, from what I understand, the realignment of divisions, conferences etc. won't take place until the next year. So the Winnipeg team will remain in the Southeast division for the 2011-2012 season..which means a LOT of extra travel for certain teams.

OZZ
31st May 11, 11:53 AM
Its official...
Hockey is returning to Manitoba.
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=367433

Japuma
31st May 11, 09:19 PM
http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc262/japuma630/download.png

OZZ
4th June 11, 11:21 AM
Season tickets go on sale to the general public today..the Manitoba Moose season ticket holders had first crack at them and bought up nearly 5,000 , just a few hundred less than the Moose had (prices are quite a bit higher for the NHL team, obviously).
The ownership is asking for a 3-5 yr. commitment from people.
The arena holds 15,000 (same as our arena here in London, I think ..hmmmm) so there will be a demand created. If there were 17, 000 seats , the other 2,000 would be cheap nose-bleeds anyways, so it doesn't make a real difference as far as revenue goes.
Time for Winnipegger's to back up the emotion with cold, hard cash.

EDIT : oh, actually, the Mooose ticketholders bought more than I thought..its almost a sure bet they will reach their goal of 13,000 by day's end!!

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=367771

OZZ
4th June 11, 11:56 AM
There has been a lot of discussion about what to name the team..most of the old fan base want the Jets to be the club's name -no surprise there. But I think the owners are going to pull a bad PR move by naming them something else. Its their toy, they'll do what they want with it.
There's been speculation that the team could be named the Winnipeg Falcons - to commemorate the hockey team from Winnipeg (who were mainly Icelandic immigrants, btw) that won Olympic Gold for Canada in 1920.
I think the best idea is to call them the Jets and give them a fresh logo..the original logo can be an alternate sweater. That way they can still cash in on all the new merchandise that comes with a fresh franchise.
Unfortunately, I don't think that is what will happen and a lot of Jets fans are going to be upset. But hey, at least they have a hockey team again.
Some names being thrown around are the Winnipeg Rush, the Turbos and a few others. I think if they don't take back the Jets name they should choose the Falcons so there is an historical link.

4th June 11, 12:12 PM
Winnipeg Rush
you people need a fucking beating.

OZZ
4th June 11, 12:56 PM

I don't like that one either...
What do you think they should be named?

4th June 11, 01:13 PM
the Legs

Japuma
4th June 11, 01:38 PM

The Winnipeg Limelight.

4th June 11, 01:43 PM
The Winnipeg Brilliant Red Barchetta Shooting Towards You Two-Lanes Wide

4th June 11, 01:46 PM
The Winnipeg I Don't Mean To Sound Like A Queer Or Nuthin', But I Think Geddy Lee Is The Greatest Bass Player Ever

Japuma
4th June 11, 02:59 PM
The Winnipeg I Don't Mean To Sound Like A Queer Or Nuthin', But I Think Geddy Lee Is The Greatest Bass Player Ever

I just watched that movie today...

4th June 11, 03:16 PM
you got a sweet ass.

Japuma
4th June 11, 05:15 PM
I think I'd like to make love to you tonight. *kiss*

OZZ
5th June 11, 09:03 AM
You guyz are fagz.

5th June 11, 11:18 AM
we aren't the ones wanting to name our sports team after a marginally talented band

OZZ
5th June 11, 03:01 PM
Marginally talented???
Neil Peart is a fucking genius..Rush is awesome; The Necromancer, Xanadu? Epic tunes, man..epic tunes.
And I told you I hated that name for the team you silly troll.

Japuma
5th June 11, 06:40 PM
You know... Tim Horton's isn't very good either.

5th June 11, 08:38 PM
Marginally talented???
Neil Peart is a fucking genius..Rush is awesome; The Necromancer, Xanadu? Epic tunes, man..epic tunes.
And I told you I hated that name for the team you silly troll.
They aren't even the best three-piece Canadian band.
Rik Emmett is a better guitar player than Alex Lifeson and Mike Levine is a better bassist than Geddy Lee. I can't compare Gil Moore and Neil Peart cuz Peart is a percussionist and not a straight out drummer. Emmett and Moore are less annoying singers than Lee, so name the fucking team the Winnipeg Triumph.

OZZ
5th June 11, 09:06 PM
I'd agree that Emmett is better than Lifeson. I've seen Rick Emmett in concert, he played 'Rock The Park' down at Gibbons a couple of times.
I don't think Triumph is nearly as creative as Rush ...I've never been a huge Triumph fan. They're considered a 2nd rate Canadian band up here..Hell, The Guess Who is held in higher esteem than Triumph as far as that goes.
Rick Emmett was better when he went solo than when he played with Triumph.
Neal Peart truly is a genius though. He's incredibly well-read, has an IQ through the roof.. and his songwriting is amazing. Especially all the old stuff from A Farewell To Kings and Fly By Night..brilliant music, awesome lyrics. He's one of the best rock musicians/songwriters ever in my opinion.

Listen to these:
The Necromancer Part 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X79u0C9_q_A&feature=BFa&list=PL7135CD9117DB91ED&index=45

The Necromancer Part 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0JD5VT2DHDM&feature=related

Especially Part 2 - that's heavy, man. Its like a musical journey with a story imbedded in the tunes..duuuude...

5th June 11, 10:52 PM
Rush are a bunch overhyped mediocre D&D fans.
Naming a hockey team after them would be the ultimate phail.

"Fly by night away from here.....Change my life again........Fly by night, goodbye my dear"
:slow clap:

Japuma
5th June 11, 11:07 PM
How about the Winnipeg Shania Twains?

5th June 11, 11:14 PM
Winnipeg Loverboys?
Winnipeg Loversboy?
Winnipeg Boylovers?

KO'd N DOA
6th June 11, 09:33 AM
How about the Wannapeg Shania Twainers?

OZZ
31st August 11, 04:14 PM
And the latest in the Jets saga...
http://ca.news.yahoo.com/mounties-border-officials-seize-bogus-nhl-winnipeg-jets-174113797.html

Jeez, people will do anything for a buck !

31st August 11, 04:18 PM
those were actually en route for the team.
no equipment, no season.

sad Canada :*(

Feryk
1st September 11, 09:39 AM
The Jets will be a welcome addition to the western conference. They will be in the west, right? Send Detroit back to the east?

KO'd N DOA
1st September 11, 10:34 AM
Send Detroit to the European Hockey League. Bastards

OZZ
1st September 11, 11:09 AM
The Jets will be a welcome addition to the western conference. They will be in the west, right? Send Detroit back to the east?

The divisions and conferences will remain the same for this year..so Winnipeg stays in the Southeast division of the Eastern Conference. Lots of travel for those boys as they will still be playing all those divisional games against Fla. and Tampa etc.
The expectation is that next year the Winnipeg Jets will shift to the West and Detroit to the East.

1st September 11, 12:29 PM
put them in the same division as the 'Yotes so we can go up north and shake our asses a couple times each season

Feryk
1st September 11, 12:36 PM
You actually follow the Coyotes Snake? That would make you a rare person in Arizona.

1st September 11, 12:45 PM
You actually follow the Coyotes Snake? That would make you a rare person in Arizona.

I catch games, when I can.

In this state they only back the winners.

OZZ
6th September 11, 07:16 PM
Apparently, Columbus' owners are crying to get shifted over to the East when realignment takes place as well.
That's mainly because they suck and they know the Eastern conference is not as tough as the West - as far as making the post-season goes, anyways. Their W-L record against the East is much better than it is in the West.

Meanwhile, the Jets officially unveiled their new uniforms today:
http://ca.news.yahoo.com/winnipeg-jets-unveil-jerseys-134806402.html

Oh, and one of them was picked up for driving his boat drunk:
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=374925

Japuma
6th September 11, 09:31 PM
Meanwhile, the Jets officially unveiled their new uniforms today:
http://ca.news.yahoo.com/winnipeg-jets-unveil-jerseys-134806402.html

Slap a hockey playing penguin on the dark blue and you've got Pittsburgh's winter classic jersey. Kind of a disappointment.

OZZ
7th September 11, 10:15 AM
That's because you are American - Canadians will automatically associate it with the RCAF symbol.

OZZ
7th September 11, 10:17 AM
And more tragedy in the hockey world :
http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puck_daddy/post/Report-Plane-crash-kills-8216-majority-8217-?urn=nhl-wp11993

7th September 11, 10:53 AM
That's because you are American - Canadians will automatically associate it with the RCAF symbol.

I see no Piper Cub.

OZZ
7th September 11, 11:40 AM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/a/a5/RCAF-Roundel.svg/300px-RCAF-Roundel.svg.png

7th September 11, 12:28 PM
So, Canada stole that logo from the British Mods?

Just like good little subject of the crown.

OZZ
8th September 11, 12:25 AM
Canadians are proud of their British heritage.
Hence the term ' Royal ' Canadian Air Force.
Actually, the 'royal' was officially taken out of the title for both the Air Force and the Navy some years ago by a bunch of morons..and just recently reinstated.
Why?
Because real Canadians are proud of their British heritage.

KO'd N DOA
8th September 11, 09:58 AM
Are you saying Snake isn't a real Canadian?
He was a star on Degrassi. I wanted to be that guy.

8th September 11, 10:23 AM
spoken like a good little subject of the crown

KO'd N DOA
8th September 11, 11:58 AM
spoken like a good little subject of the crown

Srsly. Snake eventually got Spike. http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20110904235624/degrassi/images/thumb/8/87/300x460-degrassi-spike.jpg/180px-300x460-degrassi-spike.jpg (http://images.wikia.com/degrassi/images/8/87/300x460-degrassi-spike.jpg)
That makes him teh Ultimate Canadian.

8th September 11, 01:08 PM
dude, despite the awesome Loverboy mullets, Roxette wasn't Canadian

Feryk
12th September 11, 04:25 PM
Snake, you phail at obscure Canadian TV Trivia. That was Spike from the Degrassi series of neverending mediocrity.

You can thank them for Drake - he was on the show at one point, too.

OZZ
4th October 11, 03:54 PM
Seeing as Air Canada will no longer allow its employees to stay at downtown hotels in Winterspeg - maybe the NHL will follow suit and make the players stay out by the Airport. lol
This is bad publicity..
http://ca.news.yahoo.com/winnipeg-bad-rap-deserved-091651959.html

KO'd N DOA
6th October 11, 11:47 PM
Snake, you phail at obscure Canadian TV Trivia. That was Spike from the Degrassi series of neverending mediocrity.

You can thank them for Drake - he was on the show at one point, too.

Silent Bob and Alanis Morissett have been on. How do I know this stuff...oh ya, I didn't have cable, an no matter what you watch you are subjected to endless advertisement and spoilers for the upcoming week.

KO'd N DOA
6th October 11, 11:51 PM
Seeing as Air Canada will no longer allow its employees to stay at downtown hotels in Winterspeg - maybe the NHL will follow suit and make the players stay out by the Airport. lol
This is bad publicity..
http://ca.news.yahoo.com/winnipeg-bad-rap-deserved-091651959.html

I know a guy who owns a house in Winher/pegher. He couldn't evict the tenents as they haddent paid - cuz winter. By the time he got them out...nothign was left of the insides of the house. For that reason alone I think one of the Millionair guys or there family will be involved in some violence, and the team will move away.

OZZ
7th May 12, 07:52 AM
Well, it seems Gary The Weasel has managed to find a way to keep the team in the desert.
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/
This whole issue isn't about hockey or a viable franchise anymore. Bettman has turned the whole Phoenix thing into a personal matter, and his ego won't allow the team to move to a city where fans will really support it. Losing two of his Southern franchises would be too much for the little man's ego to take.
But guess what Gary ..the Panthers are still losing money and Dallas is going to lose fan support if they keep missing the playoffs as well. The bleeding in the south will never stop.

Feryk
7th May 12, 11:49 AM
I don't think that link is going where you want it to. I saw articles about the Coyotes in the playoffs, but nothing on the financials.

Dallas is a red herring. ANY franchise would be in trouble if they were continually shitty (except the Cowboys, 'cuz they are a religion). A lot of the major markets are like that. If you don't win, people don't come because they have other choices.

Florida is a problem, and Phoenix won't go away because Gary wants it to. Right now, he's got the city council over a barrel, and he will squeeze them until he can't anymore.

7th May 12, 12:29 PM
It's awesome being an American.
We can totally not support a sports franchise, yet the commissioner will still foot the bill.

OZZ
7th May 12, 12:45 PM
ANY franchise would be in trouble if they were continually shitty (except the Cowboys, 'cuz they are a religion). A lot of the major markets are like that. If you don't win, people don't come because they have other choices.

True. But its not a red herring because that organization has already been losing money for three years, its a Southern franchise and yet another component of Gary The Weasel's failed plan to make hockey work in the southern states.

I don't know why the link isn't working. But basically, the team is being purchased, for a sweet price, by an 'ownership group'. One of whom is a minority shareholder in the San Jose Sharks franchise.
Speaking of which, isn't that a conflict of interest ? Owning shares in two competing franchises ?

Feryk
7th May 12, 12:49 PM
Actually, its the City Council.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/hockey/hurdles-remain-in-phoenix-coyotes-deal/article2424848/?utm_medium=Feeds%3A%20RSS%2FAtom&utm_source=Home&utm_content=2424848

Most relevant part:

Over the last two NHL seasons, the city of 250,000 people committed $50-million to the NHL to subsidize the Coyotes' losses, which run to more than $30-million per year. But budget problems resulted in Glendale coming up $5-million short of its obligation this year, which is now due. Scruggs told city council they should ask the NHL for some of the $20-million back that is an escrow account controlled by the league and negotiate a payment plan.

While a majority of councillors may vote to pay Jamison what he is demanding, coming up with the money is another matter. Glendale is facing a deficit of $35-million in its 2013 budget, which has to be in place by late June.

In its ongoing budget deliberations, council is considering raising taxes, laying off as many as 51 city employees and cutting programs.

OZZ
7th May 12, 04:39 PM
Jamison is the guy I mentioned, he is the former chief executive officer of the San Jose Sharks and still owns part of the team.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=395274

Can you do that ? Own shares in two franchises that compete against each other ? That seems a bit off..

OZZ
7th May 12, 04:44 PM
There's only a quarter of a million people in Glendale ?

7th May 12, 04:50 PM
There's a good 8 or so surrounding cities that make up the Phoenix metro area

Sent by telekinesis via Cerebro

OZZ
7th May 12, 05:53 PM
There's a good 8 or so surrounding cities that make up the Phoenix metro area

Where are you ?

7th May 12, 06:38 PM
Now?
Northern Arizona but I lived in Glendale, Peoria and Phoenix

Feryk
8th May 12, 11:59 AM
Glendale's mayor managed to fuck them very effectively. No wonder she's not running for re-election.

OZZ
8th May 12, 01:45 PM
This deal will likely fall apart anyways. And even if it does go through, the team will likely never turn a profit in Arizona, especially with the massive debt that is crippling it. In a few years and a few million dollars later, this ownership group will want out too. If I was a taxpayer down there i'd be furious with this bullshit.
Our municipalities cut deals for arenas and the citizens of Quebec City are willing to have their taxes raised to get a new arena and have an NHL franchise return to the city, but this is a market where hockey is a lock to succeed. I don't know how any business person can look at the Phoenix Coyotes figures on paper and drop millions on a team that has NEVER turned a profit since it moved south.
I am glad the Coyotes are doing well on the ice, but the new owners shouldn't be fooled into thinking one good playoff year means a solid fan base will persist. Carolina won the Cup and then missed the playoffs the next year, now their crowds are thinning out and they are losing money again.
Running an AHL team in a non-traditional market is one thing, but the NHL is an entirely different business model and just because you can draw crowds 5, 000 - 8,000 strong to junior games with cheap tickets in someplace like Arkansas doesn't mean you can move a NHL team there and have it work.

8th May 12, 02:33 PM
They should have stayed in downtown Phoenix at the America West/US Airways Arena with the Suns instead of following the Cards to Glendale with a new arena

OZZ
29th August 12, 01:12 PM
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=403970

Jamison should be henceforward referred to as Gary's Puppet.

OZZ
29th August 12, 01:14 PM
They should have stayed in downtown Phoenix at the America West/US Airways Arena with the Suns instead of following the Cards to Glendale with a new arena

Yes..they seemed to be doing much better when they were downtown. If they had a few winning years in that arena, things might be different now.

OZZ
31st January 13, 07:38 PM
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=414913

lol @ Gary and his stubborn insistence with this franchise.
He really hates admitting that his southern expansion has been a bust.

Robot Jesus
1st February 13, 07:25 PM
they should just relocate to their old arena, they had no trouble selling tickets there.

1st February 13, 07:33 PM
It was in the low 70s today

OZZ
1st February 13, 08:20 PM
they should just relocate to their old arena, they had no trouble selling tickets there.

That's the funny thing about it, Gary was all for moving the team to the new rink because he thought it would draw more fans and the complete opposite has happened.
This franchise is going to end up somewhere else, its just a matter of when and where.

Feryk
5th February 13, 04:40 PM
If the Coyotes and the Oilers meet in the playoffs, a bunch of us are contemplating heading down there to take in the game. It's actually cheaper to fly down for the game than to try and buy a playoff ticket here.

5th February 13, 06:27 PM
Trying to score a little Arizona reflective glimmer, eh?

Feryk
6th February 13, 11:26 AM
More like slumming.

6th February 13, 11:56 AM
Slumming in Edmonton, Canucklestan?
Oxymoron

Feryk
6th February 13, 04:30 PM
You ever been to Edmonton, mi amigo?

Sure, it gets dark at 4:30pm, and for eight months of the year we have snow.

Sure, our idea of a 'heritage' site is less than 100 years old, because we have nothing older.

Sure, we think a chick looks hot by the way she rocks a Parka.

But....we have a Hockey Team that makes money....

And a new $450 million arena along with a 1.5 Billion shopping/apartment/business office complex.

Oh, and we put ours right downtown. Because you will not be shot walking around in our downtown.

6th February 13, 04:43 PM
See, we had to put our NFL TEAM'S STADIUM in Glendale.....along with our NHL TEAM'S ARENA.....because our downtown didn't have enough room, what with our MLB TEAM'S BALLPARK and our NBA TEAM'S ARENA already being in the downtown with the double-towered retail and office complex.

pity that.

Feryk
6th February 13, 05:27 PM
I've never once heard you mention going to a Suns game or a Diamondbacks game, or hell even a Cardinals game.

With all that to choose from, you travel to San Diego to get ripped off at Comicon instead?

6th February 13, 05:40 PM
I've never once heard you mention going to a Suns game or a Diamondbacks game
I regularly went to Suns games until the ticket prices just got too fucking ridiculous. My era was when Kevin Johnson, Dan Majerle, Charles Barkley, Tom Chambers, Eddie Johnson line-up.

I went to a few games during the Jason Kidd and Steve Nash eras.....but it was too hard what with having a child.

Haven't gone to a D-back game. My Cal Ripken Jr. loyalty wouldn't allow it.

or hell even a Cardinals game.

My father and I have had season tickets to the Cardinals since 1990 to the present, but haven't regularly gone to games since the boy was born. Last game I went to was in 2003 and my father just took over my tickets.

With all that to choose from, you travel to San Diego to get ripped off at Comicon instead?
That's because my child likes going to Comicon. He doesn't like "Sports Crowds" as they are all fucking drunken assholes.

Although we've gone to several professional indoor soccer matches in Las Vegas and he's liked them. Tried to go to an LA Galaxy match and see Beckham play, when we went to Disneyland, but the timing didn't jive.

OZZ
6th February 13, 06:20 PM
We don't give a shit about the NBA up here, Snake.
And the MLB is only watched by the pansies who could never take a bodycheck playing minor hockey.
Baseball - The only sport where a pinky finger injury will keep you sidelined.
Oh wait, basketball players do that too lol

6th February 13, 06:51 PM
We don't give a shit about the NBA up here, Snake.
And the MLB is only watched by the pansies who could never take a bodycheck playing minor hockey.
Baseball - The only sport where a pinky finger injury will keep you sidelined.
Oh wait, basketball players do that too lol
Fine subterfuge to mask a wounded heart.

Feryk
7th February 13, 09:29 AM
We have one Canadian team. They draw pretty well, but it's hard for anyone outside metro Toronto to care.

7th February 13, 11:18 AM
Vancouver couldn't hang
Canucklestan fears the brothers

Feryk
7th February 13, 02:48 PM
Yep. :)

OZZ
20th June 13, 12:11 PM
http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/phoenix-coyotes-moving-seattle-roenick-reportedly-part-plan-143114434.html

So,if the latest round of lease-talks doesn't bear fruit the franchise will be on the move. And it is a sure bet that Seattle will be the destination. They have an arena that is ready to go and are even holding off on scheduling for next year in case the team ends up there.
The end of June is the deadline.
I don't think city council will find a way to make this fly..the team is a money-loser and has been since it landed in the desert.
Snake ? Any comment ?

OZZ
10th June 15, 09:46 AM
http://www.tsn.ca/glendale-vs-the-coyotes-tonight-1.304662

Again...
For god's sake, how long is Bettman going to keep up the futile fight ?
Just move the damn team, already.

Feryk
10th June 15, 11:17 AM
Bettman needs to leave now. He's made his mark, but he won't move on the Coyotes. He's been fucking Glendale up the ass for years now, and he isn't going to stop willingly.

If Bettman is gone, a new commish could move the team in about five minutes.

OZZ
22nd July 15, 10:28 AM
Vegas and Quebec City were the only two cities to meet the deadline for expansion application.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/nhl-confirms-vegas-quebec-city-expansion-bids/

I have no doubt that both cities will ultimately be awarded franchises. The only question is whether Vegas gets the relocated Coyotes or not.

22nd July 15, 11:00 AM
Vegas won't take an NHL team, cuz gambling. They had a chance at an MLS team, which made more sense as LV lines on MLS bookings are virtual nil.....but they didn't want it.

Oh, and:
http://azcapitoltimes.com/news/2015/07/20/new-downtown-phoenix-arena-could-bring-end-to-coyotes-bumpy-desert-road/

Feryk
22nd July 15, 12:29 PM
That seems like a whole lot of stupid. The current reno isn't even 10 years old?!?

OZZ
23rd July 15, 07:54 PM
Snake, you seem really insistent that an NHL team in Vegas is a non-starter, but you need to look at what's been going on there.
- http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/nhl-expansion-las-vegas-ownership-group-reportedly-chosen-1.2833631

The ownership group was given permission to run a test-market season-ticket drive and have done so, although I am not sure what the numbers were.
But, if they decided to apply at the deadline the other night, the numbers must have been good. Do you know how much it costs to submit an application for an NHL expansion franchise ? Its $10 MILLION dollars with $2 MILLION of that non-refundable...and that ensures you nothing, that just covers the cost of the league reviewing your application. From what I understand, the potential ownership group from Seattle decided to hold off because they thought the fee was too much.
Also, the guy who is at the helm of this has been sucking up to Gary The Weasel for months now, its been all over the news.
There are no laws prohibiting a sports franchise from operating there, or the application never would have been filed.
The NHL Awards have been held in Vegas for the last 3 or 4 years..
This IS going to happen. The arena is being built, the money is there and the commish is loving the idea of being the only major sports presence in Vegas; it might not be the Yotes playing there, but there will be an NHL team in Vegas within a few years, mark my words.
I know how Gary The Weasel thinks.

Quebec has their arena built, and they will definitely get a team if Vegas does because Canadians, and Quebecers in particular, will scream bloody murder if Vegas was to be awarded a team and a Canadian city denied.

OZZ
23rd July 15, 08:27 PM
Personally, I would vie for relocation of existing, but failing franchises instead of expansion.
The talent pool is diluted enough as it is.

24th July 15, 12:41 PM
Snake, you seem really insistent that an NHL team in Vegas is a non-starter, but you need to look at what's been going on there.
- http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/nhl-expansion-las-vegas-ownership-group-reportedly-chosen-1.2833631

The ownership group was given permission to run a test-market season-ticket drive and have done so, although I am not sure what the numbers were.
But, if they decided to apply at the deadline the other night, the numbers must have been good. Do you know how much it costs to submit an application for an NHL expansion franchise ? Its $10 MILLION dollars with $2 MILLION of that non-refundable...and that ensures you nothing, that just covers the cost of the league reviewing your application. From what I understand, the potential ownership group from Seattle decided to hold off because they thought the fee was too much.
Also, the guy who is at the helm of this has been sucking up to Gary The Weasel for months now, its been all over the news.
There are no laws prohibiting a sports franchise from operating there, or the application never would have been filed.
The NHL Awards have been held in Vegas for the last 3 or 4 years..
This IS going to happen. The arena is being built, the money is there and the commish is loving the idea of being the only major sports presence in Vegas; it might not be the Yotes playing there, but there will be an NHL team in Vegas within a few years, mark my words.
I know how Gary The Weasel thinks.

Quebec has their arena built, and they will definitely get a team if Vegas does because Canadians, and Quebecers in particular, will scream bloody murder if Vegas was to be awarded a team and a Canadian city denied.
Considering Vegas regularly holds pre-season NBA games and consistently sellout, anyone can presume that yes, Vegas is starved for major league sports.
They have had numerous minor league hockey teams that do OK. Same with Arena Football and other niche sports. They always wind up with an XLF/USFL level pro team and are decent draws.
Hell, the UNLV Runnin' Rebels sell out their basketball games frequently, tho less after Tark the Shark left.
Any awards show will draw in Vegas, cuz it's fucking Vegas.
What WON'T happen is a loss of Sports Book revenues. Period. And a $2Million non-refund to test the waters is a drop in the bucket by way of gaming fee.s

OZZ
25th July 15, 04:41 PM
Considering Vegas regularly holds pre-season NBA games and consistently sellout, anyone can presume that yes, Vegas is starved for major league sports.
What WON'T happen is a loss of Sports Book revenues. Period. And a $2Million non-refund to test the waters is a drop in the bucket by way of gaming fee.s
You have me confused here....what does betting revenue have to do with a private ownership group ponying up $2 million non-refundable dollars?

25th July 15, 06:47 PM
Because none of the casinos will be able to take action as all major sports franchises have anti-gambling stances. The arena you are talking about was supposed to be completed about 10 years ago, but the mob probably threw up barriers, because it would affect sports booking.

nihilist
26th July 15, 12:15 AM
Maybe when your country grows up it will have organized crime too.

26th July 15, 07:40 AM
Gambling revenue > Hockey ticket revenue.

And it's not like they need the extra 10K attendance draw to fill hotel rooms....

OZZ
4th August 15, 01:39 AM
Vegas is getting an NHL team.
You wait and see.
How the gambling is affected is neither here nor there, and has not even arisen as a topic of discussion amongst the interested parties and the NHL's Board of Governors. At least not publicly.