PDA

View Full Version : MMA

Pages : [1] 2 3

bob
16th February 11, 11:46 PM
Is there enough interest from people here who don't go on bullshido anymore to have MMA discussion? It's the one thing I miss about the place and most other sites that have forums are pretty dire.

Show of hands?

Neildo
16th February 11, 11:59 PM
i downloaded ufc 20 the other day. i forgot how much it's changed

HappyOldGuy
17th February 11, 12:20 AM
Yeah, I have the first 4 box set. That shit was fucking insane. And sloppy.

Shall we talk about front push kicks?

http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/537977/anderson-silva-front-kick-vitor-belfort1_medium.gif

Neildo
17th February 11, 12:22 AM
sweet

bob
17th February 11, 12:54 AM
danno and I will be at UFC 127. If anyone's got some money down, let us know and we can use our special Soviet surplus military mind control technology to affect a certain fighter's psyche for you.

HappyOldGuy
17th February 11, 01:02 AM
Hmm, alot of fighters I like, including a main event I would pay for, but none I really care about that much either way. I wouldn't mind if you wanted to put the evil eye on Bisping.

bob
17th February 11, 01:07 AM
Judging by the reception he got in last year's event I doubt any extra tricks will be needed.

nihilist
17th February 11, 01:33 AM
I haven't been following UFC but I did hear that my homeboy beat the shit out of Silva a while back.

HappyOldGuy
17th February 11, 01:44 AM
Chael Sonnen? Well, for four and a half rounds anyways.

nihilist
17th February 11, 01:46 AM
He should have known better than to relax around that crafty little Brazilian.

nihilist
17th February 11, 01:48 AM
Speaking of Spider, what's with him lately? I heard that all he does now is dance around like a hairdresser instead of giving his fans a fight.

Is that true?

HappyOldGuy
17th February 11, 01:53 AM
Well, not last fight.

http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/537977/anderson-silva-front-kick-vitor-belfort1_medium.gif

nihilist
17th February 11, 01:59 AM
That guy clearly did not realize he was standing well in range.

bob
17th February 11, 03:13 AM
Never really understood the Silva hate. Guy's had 2 decisions in the last 7 years. Bo-ring.

nihilist
17th February 11, 03:19 AM
People want to see fighting when they pay $100 per seat. What's not to understand?

Ajamil
17th February 11, 03:59 AM
I'd like some UFC discussions. It'd give me a reason to browse the Sports subforum. Haven't watched the most recent UFC, and 126 was a yawner.

KO'd N DOA
17th February 11, 08:56 AM
UFC 129 will be Wrestlemania epic - at least for the crowds. Go Shields!

For those who only causually watch MMA, Fedor is no longer interested in fighting but in the Russian Orthodox Church. Obama really messed everything up with this 'change' thing.

EvilSteve
17th February 11, 09:00 AM
That guy clearly did not realize he was standing well in range.

Against Silva's lanky ass everywhere in the octagon is in range.

Interested to see how GSP does against him if they pair them up.

Kein Haar
17th February 11, 09:01 AM
I can troll you guyz about how it's the greatest thing for shy and hyper-active white boys since Rocky Marciano.

Yeah, it's been a while, huh?

Or worst, depending on how you look at it.

EvilSteve
17th February 11, 09:02 AM
UFC 129 will be Wrestlemania epic - at least for the crowds. Go Shields!

For those who only causually watch MMA, Fedor is no longer interested in fighting but in the Russian Orthodox Church. Obama really messed everything up with this 'change' thing.

Yeah, anyone else a little shocked that he announced his retirement so soon after the whole fuss over who he was going to sign with?

EvilSteve
17th February 11, 09:03 AM
I can troll you guyz about how it's the greatest thing for shy and hyper-active white boys since Rocky Marciano.

That's not trolling, it's just a statement of fact.

Kein Haar
17th February 11, 09:46 AM
I should have been more clear.

It's the greatest thing for their delusions of being able to fight. As a people.

"See? See? We're not all glass-jawed, cut-prone, slowies. gsp!!!!11"

Of course, it's all relative. Problem is, it's the white kids competing amongst themselves. So...

Blad3 represented many, many profound truths about us...as a people. It's a shame he was shamed. Makes sense, though. Pharisees did the same thing to Jesus.

EvilSteve
17th February 11, 10:15 AM
I should have been more clear.

It's the greatest thing for their delusions of being able to fight. As a people.

"See? See? We're not all glass-jawed, cut-prone, slowies. gsp!!!!11"

Oh, I got your meaning. I'm reminded of that Eddie Murphy bit about Rocky.

9fp67geuhJM

nihilist
17th February 11, 11:16 AM
Poor white boy Fedor. He gets beat up and goes running to God.

Kein Haar
17th February 11, 11:54 AM
DON'T FORGET CHUCK LIDELL!!!!!!11

Oh...wait...right. That still doesn't change the venue in which they're fighting. The slowie white venue.

Feryk
17th February 11, 12:05 PM
Poor white boy Fedor. He gets beat up and goes running to God.

He's going to be a badass priest if that's how it goes. Maybe they'll put him in charge of a school or something. Gym class with Father Fedor?

Feryk
17th February 11, 12:08 PM
How is the UFC a race thing, now? People of all races win and get their asses beat.

OZZ
17th February 11, 01:49 PM
I still go on Bullshido a fair bit and I follow MMA fairly closely but I don't watch every event. There is too many of them now.
I tried to get tix to the Toronto UFC..but they were practically sold out before they even went on sale to the public.
I am going to watch live Boxing this weekend in Mississauga as a consolation, $40 tickets , 8 pro fights, should be fun.

Ajamil
17th February 11, 02:19 PM
Is this guy the next Cro-cop? (http://www.npr.org/2011/02/16/133812080/manny-pacquiao-boxer-who-packs-a-political-punch)

When Manny Pacquiao fights, everything in his home country of the Philippines grinds to a halt.

Pacquiao is a world champion boxer, but he's also an elected congressman in the Philippines. The two jobs (http://www.npr.org/2011/02/16/133812080/manny-pacquiao-boxer-who-packs-a-political-punch#) make him the face of his country and this week, those two worlds met in a way they never had before.

'Manny Packs A Punch'

Rabid fans gathered at Chelsea Piers in New York City to cheer for Manny Pacquiao. One person in the crowd shouted, "Manny packs a punch."

Packs a punch is putting it mildly. Pound-for-pound, Manny "Pacman" Pacquiao is considered the best boxer in the world.

But that's just his day job. Pacquiao isn't just an eight time world-champion boxer. In the Philippines, he's an actor, a platinum-selling musician and a politician.

Ryan Songalia, a N.Y.-based Filipino journalist, puts Pacquiao's celebrity in a cross-cultural perspective. "In the Philippines, I would say Pacquiao is like Elvis meets Justin Beiber, meets Michael Jordan, meets Bill Clinton," he says.

Pacquiao, the boxer, is holding a press conference to hype up his next fight on March 7, 2011.

One minute he's all boxing (http://www.npr.org/2011/02/16/133812080/manny-pacquiao-boxer-who-packs-a-political-punch#); breaking down the speed and power of his next opponent "Sugar" Shane Mosley. The next minute he moves on to politics.

That's the way it is with Pacquiao these days. Ever since he was elected to the Philippines' House of Representatives it's been a balancing act.

He still puts opponents in the hospital. But now he also talks about the need for a hospital back home.

"In my province — Sarangani province — the population is more than half-a-million and we don't have a hospital... imagine that," Pacquiao says.

It's that transition — from Pacquiao, the boxer, to Pacquiao, the politician — that so interests people, including some of the most powerful people in the world.
That's why after the press conference, Pacquiao is off to Penn Station for a train ride to Washington, D.C.

On board the Pacquiao Express, promoter Bob Arum explains his fighter's duel roles.
"He's boxer for me, and his principal attraction is as a boxer," Arum says.

But that's going to change. Pacquiao is 32 years old, which is not young for a boxer, and Arum is not alone in thinking that his fighter could someday become president of the Philippines.

"The boxing career (http://www.npr.org/2011/02/16/133812080/manny-pacquiao-boxer-who-packs-a-political-punch#) isn't going to last forever and I think he's the kind of person that a country like the Philippines could use," Arum says. "He really has a great desire to help his people, and believe me they need a lot of help."

Arum says he thinks that because he's visited the Philippines and seen the poverty.
Pacquiao believes that because he's lived it.

His family was so poor growing up that his dad killed the family dog to stave off starvation. And Pacquiao say he doesn't want other people to experience what he did.
"My intention is to help people," he says. "Nobody can erase that."

Pacquiao has given away much of the money he's won boxing — buying coffins for his town after typhoons and putting hundreds of kids through school.

Arum says the Philippines have one welfare system: Manny Pacquiao. But Pacquiao says that only goes so far.

"If you want to get involved with these people, to really help people, especially in the Philippines, you have to enter politics to help them."

Pacquiao At The Capitol

Which brings him to Washington, D.C., and the U.S. Capitol.

He's here to meet Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, whose home state of Nevada gathers a lot of revenue from the sport of boxing. But Pacquiao's influence allows him to meet somebody else.

"I try not to bother the president, but I bothered him on this occasion because I felt that the president should acknowledge this man and the enthusiasm that people here in America have for him," Reid says.

The influence of boxer Manny Pacquiao of the Philippines has been compared to Nelson Mandela's.

And so is being introduced on the Senate floor by Harry Reid:
"I'm going to take a few moments to talk about a friend of Nevada and a friend of mine. His name is Manny Pacquiao."

It's not quite the high-decibel intro he's used to. But Pacquiao understands that to help the Philippines, he can pack more of a punch in politics than he ever did in boxing.

G0sTJtQqclc
P2SFXs2YWEA

OZZ
17th February 11, 02:39 PM
Manny is awesome..

Conde Koma
17th February 11, 02:46 PM
manny's been a senator for a while now, fought margarito as one already, will fight mosley in may as one as well.

also, there are much bigger and more in-depth threads on bullshido about every mma event, does that mean this thread is just for dicking around? if yall have any questions, i'm sure they could be answered real fast on the sister site.

bob
17th February 11, 03:02 PM
I don't really have any questions. Everything is easy enough to find out these days. More interested in general chitchat and people's opinions.

Fuck bullshido.

resolve
17th February 11, 03:06 PM
I stopped watching UFC after UFC 100. I could tell then that the nature of the sport had chaned dramatically and it just stopped interesting me.

EvilSteve
17th February 11, 03:28 PM
I still watch all the UFC events but it has changed. Fighters are often cautious to the point of being timid for fear of losing points to a takedown, which can make a lot of fights really boring. Too often they go to a decision, not for any good reason but because the combatants were more interested in going for the high score rather than actually fighting.

Some fighters are still entertaining to watch- Silva, GSP, Sotiropolous, Edgar to name a few but I think they need to punch it up a bit (literally). The judges render shitty decisions often enough that more people should be going for KOs and submissions.

bob
17th February 11, 03:32 PM
Meh, maybe. I think it's just as likely that skill levels are increasing across the board so people just aren't getting caught in easy subs and knockouts. Personally, I have never felt dudded if a fight went the distance, as long as it was interesting.

Conde Koma
17th February 11, 03:33 PM
I still watch all the UFC events but it has changed. Fighters are often cautious to the point of being timid for fear of losing points to a takedown, which can make a lot of fights really boring. Too often they go to a decision, not for any good reason but because the combatants were more interested in going for the high score rather than actually fighting.

Some fighters are still entertaining to watch- Silva, GSP, Sotiropolous, Edgar to name a few but I think they need to punch it up a bit (literally). The judges render shitty decisions often enough that more people should be going for KOs and submissions.

i dunno, i've been watching almost every event for the last few years, and i tihnk that's kind of an unfair assumption. over the last four ufc main cards, the split between decisions and finishes is pretty 50/50, and even those decisions aren't all point/wrestle fests. the franklin/forrest fight was fantastic, as was the edgar/maynard draw.

i think what goes unsaid or unnoticed is that the level of competition is much higher, and that joe silva's been doing a pretty good job of matching up fighters of comparable skill levels. sometimes they don't add up to being a great style match up, but the cards are generally solid.

EvilSteve
17th February 11, 03:40 PM
Well, I suppose you can't have the Pride style fat-guy-fights of the early UFC forever. As the sport matures, inevitably it's going to lose some of the randomness of its early days. And my view of the sport may be simplistic- I like the epic slugfest bouts, and I like highly technical grappling bouts, I just don't like two guys standing 3 feet away from each other circling awkwardly for 15 minutes.

Feryk
17th February 11, 04:15 PM
Well, I suppose you can't have the Pride style fat-guy-fights of the early UFC forever. As the sport matures, inevitably it's going to lose some of the randomness of its early days. And my view of the sport may be simplistic- I like the epic slugfest bouts, and I like highly technical grappling bouts, I just don't like two guys standing 3 feet away from each other circling awkwardly for 15 minutes.

From your mouth to Dana's ear. He hates that shit too.

I love watching MMA when I have time (not much). I respect them for the world class athletes they are.

It takes a hell of a lot of skill and training to be effective in the ring.

I don't, however, confuse the MA I do with what they do. Totallly different things.

OZZ
17th February 11, 04:24 PM
I would tend to agree with Conde Koma. The skillset of all the fighters now is pretty even across the board and the talent level among the elite in each division is so good that almost all of the big matchups are intriguing.
Some of the novelty has worn off though, and I just cannot get excited about all the UFC cards when there is one every three weeks. When one of my favorite fighters is on the card (GSP, Griffin, Silva) then I will definitely watch. But its easy enough to just wait and see the other cards a week or two later on Spike..I don't have to see them all live.
I have the first two dvd editions of UFC Hits and they showcase all the highlights from the first 20 UFC events when things were a little more raw and you had brawlers like Tank Abbot, Harold Howard, Scott Ferrozzo and Paul 'The Polar Bear' Varlens fighting and winning. But more importantly, they show the first Royce Gracie fights and the early contests of guys like Vitor Belfort, Randy Couture, Don Frye and Bas Rutten - guys who are responsible for making the UFC what it is today.
Its still nice to watch some of those early fights even though there were some real mismatches and the fighters were much more one-dimensional. Pat Smith destroying that Ninjitsu guy is one of my faves.lol

resolve
17th February 11, 05:08 PM
Man, Bas Rutten was such a classy fighter. Never had any anger issues and was always respectful. That and a great sense of humor regarding everything.

It seems like the old days of MMA were founded on these huge personalities on top of great fighters. Even if the fighters weren't so great they were interesting to watch and would give you surprises now and again. Now it's a bunch of people I don't really care about (except the elite guys of today are somewhat still like that [GSP, Silva, Machida]) fighting defensively. Either that or they try to create absurdist man-drama and have exceptional anger issues/don't respect their fellow fighters.

It's unwatchable :/.

bob
17th February 11, 05:18 PM
I think a lot of people lost interest once the 'which style is best' question became redundant.

Ajamil
17th February 11, 05:21 PM
I think it will pick up once (if) they start getting the boxers more. The 3 feet away circling is lack of efffective jab, neh? But i pretty much agree with what's been said, and the point of the thread is to talk about the events with you - not Bullshido.

KO'd N DOA
17th February 11, 06:27 PM
So we going to get Sociocide rashguards from Rupture and dojo storm our next of kin?

Dark Helmet
17th February 11, 07:34 PM
I think a lot of people lost interest once the 'which style is best' question became redundant.

That answer ended with 'that str33t'. Also, who was sporti'n the coolest tats at UFC.

Yiktin Voxbane
17th February 11, 11:03 PM
Ok ,

I have watched Shogun Vs. Machida numerous times now, STILL cannot work out HTF that lanky unhittable Brazillian did enough to win that fight .

Conde Koma
17th February 11, 11:06 PM
no one likes fights where the guys just run and circle the whole time, but how often does that really happen?

anderson copped shit when he didn't finish leites or patrick cote, but even then he was still engaging them and tagging them.

machida was criticized repeatedly during his early ufc days because people said he was just running; but in hindsight we see that he was being one hell of a counterfighter.

the only fights that really involve the kind of lack of action you're talking about would be kalib starnes and houston alexander/kimbo, and both of them were cut ages ago. even jake shields, who is probably the most unpopular fighter in the ufc right now, has only had three decisions after a streak of 8 first and second round finishes, but people call him the lay-n-pray champ. and those three decisions were against guys notoriously hard to finish, and were all constant action. but, because it involved wrestling for position instead of swinging for the fences, people call it boring? gimme a break.

Conde Koma
17th February 11, 11:07 PM
Ok ,

I have watched Shogun Vs. Machida numerous times now, STILL cannot work out HTF that lanky unhittable Brazillian did enough to win that fight .

first or second fight? the first fight was pretty questionable, but the second one was definitive.

Yiktin Voxbane
17th February 11, 11:27 PM
1st

Having problems finding the footage from ufc 113 , can find recaps and pre-fight talkfests but no actual match .

bob
17th February 11, 11:32 PM
Judging in general is a clusterfuck of incompetence, ignorance and hidebound conservatism. Add that to the fundamentally difficult task of comparing apples to oranges (is a hard leg kick worth more or less than a stiff jab?) and you're always going to get dumb decisions.

Conde Koma
17th February 11, 11:34 PM
1st

Having problems finding the footage from ufc 113 , can find recaps and pre-fight talkfests but no actual match .

http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XMTcxNjA1Nzcy.html

skip to about 7:00

Ajamil
17th February 11, 11:40 PM
Judging in general is a clusterfuck of incompetence, ignorance and hidebound conservatism. Add that to the fundamentally difficult task of comparing apples to oranges (is a hard leg kick worth more or less than a stiff jab?) and you're always going to get dumb decisions.
Yes. The judges are all over the place.

Yiktin Voxbane
18th February 11, 12:40 AM
The only actual *Fight* experience I have is 3 months of boxing as a teen, then 20 yrs of bar room defense cpl times a year befiore I stopped drinking.

Even with my background I simply could not see that Machida had done enough to win #1 nor could I see what more short of a tap / KO was needed by Shogun to have demonstrated a win in that bout .

Glad #2 had a better outcome for Shogun even tho the Machida he fought that night looked to be a different beast to the first fight .

Was interested to hear Machida needed hand surgery a week after #1 .

Leaves but one question ..... #3 .. ?

Conde Koma
18th February 11, 02:27 AM
the first fight was heavily contested, but the majority (as far as I'm aware, judging from web community/journalists response) felt that shogun won it, if barely.

the second was so easily put away I wonder if anyone really thinks a rubber match is necessary.

Neildo
18th February 11, 03:46 AM
http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XMTcxNjA1Nzcy.html

skip to about 7:00

mine started with an ad for chinese kfc but it was kentucky fried crab! fucking awesome. good link dude.

EvilSteve
18th February 11, 02:30 PM
Even with my background I simply could not see that Machida had done enough to win #1 nor could I see what more short of a tap / KO was needed by Shogun to have demonstrated a win in that bout .

I remember after #1 Rogan tweeted 2 links at people who thought Machida should have won. The first was a breakdown of thrown vs. connected hits for each fighter. Rua clearly came out ahead.

The second was a link to the Lenscrafters web site.

Feryk
18th February 11, 05:42 PM
Rogan has a very acidic sense of humour. I actually think he's a very funny guy.

danno
20th February 11, 07:27 AM
i love MMA as much as ever. i think fighters should use whatever strategy they feel will get them the W. i find it exciting to watch as long as someone is making progress in imposing their strategy. and when neither of them can, i don't blame the fighters.

i'm now getting pretty involved in MMA strategy, as i'm the BJJ and ground fighting coach at my new club. cornered one of our fighters on the weekend. happy to say he was winning whenever it went to the ground, but he had a little trouble standing which lost him the decision. was a great fight though.

i may be having an MMA fight within the year, or a muay thai match, i'm not sure.

i'm having surgery (cardiac ablation) the day after the UFC next weekend which will put me out of training for a few weeks, which is really annoying.

resolve
20th February 11, 12:50 PM
Are they using catheters for you?

Is your heart ok buddy?

Hopefully just a slight arrhythmia easily corrected.

nihilist
20th February 11, 01:03 PM
What if the strategy is corner clinching for four rounds straight trying to get a takedown?

That shit puts me to sleep.

HappyOldGuy
20th February 11, 01:12 PM
You best not be disrespecting Captain America.

nihilist
20th February 11, 01:18 PM
I don't think there should be walls on an octagon.

Vieux Normand
20th February 11, 02:46 PM
Went back to looking at BSD as soon as I saw Silva KO Belfort with a front snap kick.

Just to see the reaction.

Sure enough...

Conde Koma
20th February 11, 02:59 PM
what's BSD?

nihilist
20th February 11, 03:04 PM
blue screen of death.

It's what he forces himself to look at when he gets too excited.

danno
20th February 11, 05:45 PM
What if the strategy is corner clinching for four rounds straight trying to get a takedown?

depends what they're doing. sometimes it does suck to watch, but that's how it goes.

danno
20th February 11, 05:51 PM
Are they using catheters for you?

Is your heart ok buddy?

Hopefully just a slight arrhythmia easily corrected.

yeah, catheters. it's relatively low risk and high success, so i decided to go for it.

i get heart palpitations occasionally, which make me stop whatever i'm doing for a couple of minutes until it goes away. been happening since i was 12 and it doesn't cause any harm.

sometimes i can go a couple of years without having one (haven't had one for about 10 months atm), but what made me decide to do something about it and get put on the waiting list for surgery was when it happened in the middle of a purple belt match. i decided to sit in his guard and wait out the round in case i had the points, but i lost. afterward, the palpitation continued for longer than any i've ever experienced.

so i saw the specialists, and because i live in a filthy socialist country i get to have free surgery.

resolve
20th February 11, 08:12 PM
because i live in a filthy socialist country i get to have free surgery.

At least you're in high spirits :)

Huzzah!

Harpy
21st February 11, 03:40 PM
There is a Tapout store at the local mall. I nearly wept when I saw 5 fat fucks shopping there for gear. Australia is as doomed as the US and it's only a matter of time before we have our own Cheeseburger Josh.

Harpy
21st February 11, 03:43 PM
danno - be well and all the best for the surgery and recovery.

HappyOldGuy
21st February 11, 04:06 PM
There is a Tapout store at the local mall. I nearly wept when I saw 5 fat fucks shopping there for gear. Australia is as doomed as the US and it's only a matter of time before we have our own Cheeseburger Josh.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/australiaandthepacific/2157503/Australians-fatter-than-Americans-study.html

Although i don't think you've caught up with us in total tonnage yet.

nihilist
21st February 11, 10:53 PM
Why would anyone assume that the Tapout store catered to anyone other than a bunch of poseurs?

Harpy
22nd February 11, 02:56 AM
I didn't...it just made me laugh and feel sick to actually see it. On the one hand I was sad for the sport and it's athletes but I also realised that the fans are where the $$ are.

nihilist
22nd February 11, 03:18 AM
So when you see a dumpy guy wearing an Umbro shirt do you feel sorry for football?

bob
22nd February 11, 03:35 AM
Tapout channels a lot of money back into the sport and serves as an easy identification system for douchebags.

Harpy
22nd February 11, 06:09 AM
So when you see a dumpy guy wearing an Umbro shirt do you feel sorry for football?
I told you that you looked fine.

Harpy
22nd February 11, 06:12 AM
Tapout channels a lot of money back into the sport and serves as an easy identification system for douchebags.

I honestly hope that when you and danno attend the event that you're not surrounded by Tapout tards throwing out random advice and trying to look 'hard'. Please take pics and share them here.

nihilist
22nd February 11, 02:23 PM
I just used to ask them where they train. If that didn't shut them up then telling them where I trained did.

nihilist
22nd February 11, 02:24 PM
And someone rep bob for me.

billy sol hurok
22nd February 11, 06:22 PM
Done and doner.

Spade: The Real Snake
22nd February 11, 09:27 PM
i love MMA as much as ever. i think fighters should use whatever strategy they feel will get them the W. i find it exciting to watch as long as someone is making progress in imposing their strategy. and when neither of them can, i don't blame the fighters.

In boxing, Leonard managed to decision Hagler based on the perceived strategy of flurrying for the last 30 seconds of each round.

nihilist
22nd February 11, 09:33 PM
I think people should fight.

bob
27th February 11, 06:09 AM
127 was a decent event. Not A+ but definitely worth the trip to attend, even if the fight card did have three of danno's brothers, his mechanic and his mum's ex-boyfriend. Next time I want to see them all fight I'll just come along to a danno family bbq.

Neildo
27th February 11, 10:50 AM
LOL awesome.

saw the results in the newspaper this morning. i'll download it later.

guess despite

nPvjHn7oGX4

jorge got KTFO. thought the bisping impersonator was hilarious. hamburger? wtf is a hamburger. fackin meat biscuit.

HappyOldGuy
27th February 11, 12:53 PM
Rivera is an idiot. He should have let Bisping have the DQ.

I know that dana wouldn't have hired him again, but do we really think he will now?

resolve
27th February 11, 02:13 PM
I guess tomorrow they are going to celebrate Michael Bispings birthday and Rivera will have to forfeit all his presents to him.

OZZ
11th April 11, 09:17 PM
I don't think there is anyone here who isn't a Bullshido member , and I already posted this over there. But I'll re post it for the lurkers..maybe one of them will want to go. this event is taking place at the JLC here in London.
I am getting my tickets tommorrow.
MMA LIVE1

Fighter Release!

MMA LIVE1!
MAY 19, 2011 – 7:30pm EST
(doors open @ 6:30pm)
Tickets: $59.25-$150.75
On sale: NOW

MMA LIVE1! will see the world’s top UFC/WEC veterans go head to head with Canadian superstars in an 8-bout match-up on May 19, 2011 at the John Labatt Centre in London, Ontario. The following headline matches have now been confirmed:

Karo Parisyan (USA) vs. Ryan Ford (Edmonton, AB)

Marcus Aurelio (Brazil) vs. Cory MacDondal (Kingston, ON)

Kyle Dietz (USA) vs. Nick Denis (Ottawa, ON)

and THE FIRST EVER FEMALE FIGHT IN ONTARIO!
Anna Barone vs. Julia Budd, Strikeforce Veteran

bob
11th April 11, 09:36 PM
Karo. Sounds like Kimo. Or Kimbo. Nuff said.

Conde Koma
11th April 11, 09:37 PM
oh karo, so far you have fallen...

KO'd N DOA
12th April 11, 05:38 PM
Congratulations Ontario for HTFU.

OZZ
16th May 11, 07:19 PM
Well, my night out is coming up this week..Karo Parisyan will NOT be the fan favorite in his fight, since he's fighting a Canadian.

Oh, in other MMA news , check this out :

http://www.mmafighting.com/2011/05/04/former-nhl-enforcer-donald-brashear-to-fight-at-ringside-mma-11

Those of you who watch hockey will remember former NHL enforcer Donald Brashear, a pretty tough guy in his own right. He wasn't the flashiest fighter , often opting for a defensive style of hockey fighting where he would try to immobilize his opponent's right arm ( or left, if he was tossing with a leftie) by tightly gripping the jersey, hang on inside and then try to land short hooks.He was more of a counter-puncher than anything else. Bob Probert even admitted that Brashear was one of the most difficult guys to fight because of his defensive style, but he also said it was boring for the fans to watch.
I thought Brashear was alright..but he would never drop the gloves with George Laraque when Laraque was king, and that bothered me.I loved watching him punch Tie Domi out though,lol. He's probably most well-known for this infamous incident:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/hockey/nhl/news/2000/10/06/mcsorley_assault_ap/

McSorley was at the tail end of his career and had fought, and lost, to Brashear several times - including earlier that night - and wanted one last shot at beating him. When Brashear refused to oblige, Marty lost control and stepped over the line.

Anyways, I'll be curious to see how Brashear does. This isn't just some publicity stunt or a cash grab either. I know that he had been training in Boxing for years and got into grappling when MMA started to get big, so he's a trained fighter. He's also a pretty intelligent, articulate fellow off the ice..and I'm sure he's taking this very seriously.
Good luck to him.

Neildo
16th May 11, 10:21 PM
i wonder if you can jersey someone wearing a rashguard.

SoulMechanic
17th May 11, 04:24 PM
All this mma talk must be getting Kein haarder then that time Neildo freebased cialis.

Did he tell you guys how genetically inferior whitey is compared to the mud people yet?!?

bob
17th May 11, 06:20 PM
Kein has quit us if I understood things correctly.

17th May 11, 11:16 PM
so he is hard.

nihilist
18th May 11, 12:28 AM
Kein's just sore because a white realtor from Oregon schooled his love interest.

OZZ
18th May 11, 10:12 AM
Its a shame he's gone really..now there is nobody here whom I view with utter disdain.
Although I was starting to kind of like the guy..weird.
I'd like to know where feryk is. He was one of the few Canadians on here and he's been gone for a while. He disappeared right after he became a staff member.
I guess the pressure got to him?

OZZ
18th May 11, 10:16 AM
i wonder if you can jersey someone wearing a rashguard.

There's nothing more embarassing than getting jerseyed, especially if you are a Canadian.

Neildo
19th May 11, 12:03 AM
awesome hockey fight in the canucks sharks game tonight. i thought i saw bieksa attempt a clinch n knee but decided not to get suspended and pulled it. nice uppercuts though.

Conde Koma
19th May 11, 01:27 AM
yeah, he was totally thinking about it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWDX-lTj9aE

can someone explain to me why they let fighting go on in hockey? i had friends in college who always tried to explain it, but they never did a really good job. as far as i can tell, it's just a ploy for viewership and excitement of the sport. but then why don't they let that sort of thing go on in other sports?

NoBowie
19th May 11, 02:19 AM
It's very simple. Hockey is for Neanderthals.

Neildo
19th May 11, 10:35 AM
i don't know how some people can remember all those statistics. some guys know the first and last name of every player on every team and all their stats, and for multiple sports. the american leagues are bad enough, but these guys also follow proper football! some even follow cricket! how are they able to remember anything else?!

19th May 11, 10:37 AM
i don't know how some people can remember all those statistics. some guys know the first and last name of every player on every team and all their stats, and for multiple sports. the american leagues are bad enough, but these guys also follow proper football! some even follow cricket! how are they able to remember anything else?!
because they forget shit like an Anniversary or a spouse's birthday

NoBowie
19th May 11, 10:41 AM
because they forget shit like an Anniversary or a spouse's birthday

Just recently, I um... confused my ex-wife's birthday (which took me like 8 years to remember) with my current wife's birthday. That had me in the shit-house for a week.

19th May 11, 10:47 AM
Just recently, I um... confused my ex-wife's birthday (which took me like 8 years to remember) with my current wife's birthday. That had me in the shit-house for a week.
and you aren't manly enough to know sports stats, so you have no excuse.
a true upper-management type would have had their assistant handle those pesky details.

OZZ
19th May 11, 12:34 PM
awesome hockey fight in the canucks sharks game tonight. i thought i saw bieksa attempt a clinch n knee but decided not to get suspended and pulled it. nice uppercuts though.

I don't know what Marleau was thinking..he's not a fighter.
I'll take my opinions on that game over to the NHL thread..

SoulMechanic
19th May 11, 01:06 PM
I have a better idea OZZ. How about you start a thread with links to all the greatest hockey fights ever?

NoBowie
19th May 11, 03:32 PM
and you aren't manly enough to know sports stats, so you have no excuse.
a true upper-management type would have had their assistant handle those pesky details.

People who know sports stats are nerdy, not manly. Manly is when you play / are involved in certain sports, like Polo or Tennis or MMA.

Unfortunately at my company you don't get an assistant until you are a VP. I may just have to hire one on the side.

Pie of Hate
19th May 11, 03:45 PM
I never thought I'd see polo, Tennis and manly all appear in the same sentence.

NoBowie
19th May 11, 03:48 PM
I am bourgeois.

Pie of Hate
19th May 11, 03:55 PM
Not by any stretch of the imagination.

NoBowie
19th May 11, 04:01 PM
These are athletes. These are men.

http://nunonbreak.com/May11/tennis.jpg

http://nunonbreak.com/May11/agassi.jpg

Pie of Hate
19th May 11, 04:04 PM
Looks more like a dodgy '80s power ballad singer.

NoBowie
19th May 11, 04:10 PM
I am beneath bourgeois.

http://nunonbreak.com/May11/cooldude.jpg

Pie of Hate
19th May 11, 04:13 PM
Thats bad.

19th May 11, 05:07 PM
what's sad is how much of a cakeboy NoB is, thinking tennis and polo is manly.

Pie of Hate
20th May 11, 02:35 AM

Next he'll be measuring a man by the quality of his needle work.

Yiktin Voxbane
20th May 11, 02:57 AM
The following link is, despite its description, safe for work

For all your MANLY needs and wants (http://www.manlyaustralia.com.au/maps/?)

OZZ
23rd May 11, 10:40 AM
Agassi was such a punk.." Look everyone, I'm a rebel, see my unconventional tennis getup. see my long hair and pierced ear? I'm different, I'm different..notice me , notice me !".
Idiot.

23rd May 11, 10:42 AM
this thread belongs on Bullshido.

not because of content, but because it would have been able to be read and responded to during the server outage

OZZ
23rd May 11, 10:46 AM

What's really sad is that among his crowd tennis and polo are manly.

Anyways..the MMA card here in London was not exactly high calibre..the last fight between Parisyan and Ryan Ford was worth the money though.
Londoners made it clear early on that Parisyan was not the favorite, shouting " Karo Sucks! Karo Sucks !" early into the first round. Despite Karo's superior judo skills, Ford was the tougher of the two of them and scored a TKO in the third round after opening up a gaping wound in Parisyan's head with a knee.
Don't be expecting Dana White to be pursuing contract negotiations with Parisyan anytime soon. He's shot.

Conde Koma
23rd May 11, 11:17 AM
caught a recap of the fight on youtube. it looks like karo was back in pretty good form, sucks that he got caught with the knee. i hope he keeps his training up, i'd like to see him stay on the horse, so to speak.

Toby Christensen
24th May 11, 02:45 AM
I would like to see more style vs style competitions in a more diverse range. I won't get my wish though.

KO'd N DOA
24th May 11, 10:28 AM
Style vs Style has been solved.

Aikido

Pie of Hate
24th May 11, 10:39 AM
What about Punk Vs Goth?

24th May 11, 10:55 AM
Cowboys vs. Aliens.

SoulMechanic
24th May 11, 11:25 AM
Space Cowboys vs. Gangsters of love

nihilist
24th May 11, 11:28 AM
Toby vs angry spastic

KO'd N DOA
24th May 11, 12:45 PM
Sociocide VS BSD

Rashguards then storm a throwdown

Toby Christensen
25th May 11, 03:11 AM
Toby vs angry spastic

Angry spastic is Toby on his soapbox about disability rights and the rednecks who hate them and usually after stress. Or alcohol.

25th May 11, 08:06 AM
Angry spastic is Toby off his meds

SoulMechanic
25th May 11, 10:16 AM
^oh snizap!

Vieux Normand
25th May 11, 03:01 PM
Angry spastic is Toby on his soapbox...

No, Toby, that's not what a "soapbox" is, though yours has no doubt been frequently used, with or without soap.

SoulMechanic
26th May 11, 02:33 AM
You guys wanna know what I think is cool? . . . When Tobz talks about banging darkie prostitutes.

OZZ
22nd June 11, 11:33 AM
Hey, Sam Stout got a big KO at UFC 31 !!
http://www.tsn.ca/mma/story/?id=368904
He runs Tompkin's club here in London.. another local boy does good.
Awesome..I've been so distracted lately, I need to catch up on my sports news.

syberia
22nd June 11, 11:55 AM
He gave me a cookie at the weigh-in, so I'm not going to try a hurt a guy like thatAm I missing some slang in my vocab?

Now I want a cookie...

22nd June 11, 12:09 PM
Am I missing some slang in my vocab?

Now I want a cookie...
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
A GURL!\

IMMA GIT U REARNAKED AND CHOCK U!!

uh....umm.

yeah IMMA CHOCK UR NAKED REAR!!!!

YEAH!

uh. GITINMYGARD!

SoulMechanic
22nd June 11, 04:39 PM
Hey, Sam Stout got a big KO at UFC 31 !!
http://www.tsn.ca/mma/story/?id=368904
He runs Tompkin's club here in London.. another local boy does good.
Awesome..I've been so distracted lately, I need to catch up on my sports news.

Yeah, that was a beautiful KO. Got the whole room up on their feet at the party where I was watching. That's a pretty cool sports website you linked to.

syberia
22nd June 11, 06:35 PM
uh. GITINMYGARD!

I'd just like to point out that it would be more realistic if you got in my guard.

Yeah, that was a beautiful KO. Got the whole room up on their feet at the party where I was watching. That's a pretty cool sports website you linked to.

Sybs wants vids, now. :(

22nd June 11, 06:58 PM

I'd just like to point out that it would be more realistic if you got in my guard.

....?.....uh.....??......UH.....YEAH SHE WANTS ME YEAH DAWG WOOOOOOOO!

SoulMechanic
22nd June 11, 07:30 PM
va2WjYGTbH8

syberia
22nd June 11, 07:39 PM
Ah. That was a great shot. Lucky, but great.

danno
22nd June 11, 11:17 PM
i've always liked yves, i hope his brain is ok.

Myself and Shawn Tompkins watched a lot of tape on Edwards in the lead-up to that fight and that looping left hook was something we worked on every day in training camp. Shawn was making me turn that shot over more and was having me use it to end pretty much all the punch combinations I would throw.

The plan was to capitalize on those moments when Yves bounces his hands up and down and looks to find openings against you. I knew I'd have to come over the top with that hook and catch Yves while he was setting.

I was pretty happy with my performance overall, and was pleased with everything I did leading up to the knockout punch. I was moving my head well, easing my way into the contest and felt comfortable at all times. It seemed as though we were still in that initial "feeling-out" process when the fight-ending punch landed, so it's hard to assess exactly how the fight was going at that stage. Neither one of us had taken the upper hand.

I didn't expect Yves to go for a takedown as quickly as he did, and that kind of surprised me a bit. Other than that, though, everything else on his part was to be expected. He was fast, fluid and technical with his striking and he performed all the same mannerisms he showed in past fights. That's what, ultimately, allowed me to throw and land that left hook I'd been working on for weeks and weeks.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/mma/2011/06/17/ultimate_blogger_stout4/

Colin
23rd June 11, 12:14 AM
http://www.shoes-supply.com/images/nike-dunk-sb-high-premium-sb-mork-and-mindy.jpg

Just picked up a pair of these, thought bob might like them :D
That being said, with bullshido literally next door as far as websites go - why not just talk about MMA there? :)

SoulMechanic
23rd June 11, 12:31 AM
Too many retards and arm chair experts.

HappyOldGuy
23rd June 11, 12:43 AM
Too many retards and arm chair experts.

As opposed to here?

bob
23rd June 11, 12:47 AM
The filtering job here is at least quantitatively easier.

SoulMechanic
23rd June 11, 12:53 AM
As opposed to here?

I really can't think of any armchair experts on this board.

nihilist
23rd June 11, 12:55 AM
the password is retard

23rd June 11, 12:56 AM
Last time I discussed MMA on Bullshido I was laughed off at my attempts to meld Dumog and Taekkyon in the cage.

bob
23rd June 11, 01:07 AM
the password is retard

That reminds me I have an invite to a private mma torrent site. Pm me if anyone wants it.

Conde Koma
23rd June 11, 02:31 AM
is it any good?

bob
23rd June 11, 02:40 AM
You think I'd share second class invites?

Anyway, first one is already gone but I may have another.

OZZ
23rd June 11, 10:37 AM

TSN - Canada's Sports Leader !!

Vieux Normand
23rd June 11, 01:29 PM

Keep saying that.

Just to get him close enough.

He won't notice your splintery ol' louisville-slugger strap-on until...

23rd June 11, 01:42 PM
Keep saying that.

Just to get him close enough.

He won't notice your splintery ol' louisville-slugger strap-on until...
Go ahead Cornelius, you can cry.

bob
3rd July 11, 10:26 PM
Hell of a main event. Pet peeve - fighter a attempts takedown, creates scramble, both back up immediately. "ooh, he scores with another takedown!"

No, he doesn't.

SoulMechanic
3rd July 11, 11:09 PM
I was spinning on the rooftop of a big hotel downtown and missed the whole fucking thing. My only solace was my bud sending me text updates during every fight.

Feryk
4th July 11, 11:36 AM
I missed it too, but the recap says it was a hell of a card.

OZZ
4th July 11, 05:13 PM
I heard good things about this one too. I watched the early Prelims because they were on Sportsnet for free, but didn't see the Silva fight or the main event.
Melvin Guillard looked pretty damn good in his fight, I'll say that much. He could be on his way back up.

Feryk
4th July 11, 05:16 PM
I'd like to see Guillard do well. He was entertaining to watch the last few fights I've seen.

danno
4th July 11, 05:20 PM
it was a great event, you should all stop whimpering and go watch it.

SoulMechanic
4th July 11, 05:28 PM
Seen it twice broham. I ended up on the wrong side of a kneebar yesterday. Not gonna be doing anything other then watch that event for a while.

danno
4th July 11, 05:41 PM
don't tell me you didn't tap in time.

OZZ
4th July 11, 06:16 PM
I'd like to see Guillard do well. He was entertaining to watch the last few fights I've seen.

I agree..he seems to be in a good frame of mind right now. I wish him well.

OZZ
3rd August 11, 04:04 PM
The UFC is coming back to Canada and more specifically, Toronto , already !!
Time to set another record.
http://www.tsn.ca/mma/story/?id=373120
We are awesome and Dana knows it..

Toby Christensen
4th August 11, 12:34 AM
We need more style vs style, because some styles haven't entered yet. At all.

resolve
4th August 11, 02:18 AM
I'd personally love to see another grand "pure" style vs style event.

nihilist
4th August 11, 09:20 AM
Xtian VS lion

Feryk
4th August 11, 03:37 PM
We need more style vs style, because some styles haven't entered yet. At all.

Such as?

Conde Koma
4th August 11, 06:15 PM
it's impossible anyhow, everybody cross-trains. it's the world we live in, even the kung fu guys do a little tai chi, a little shaolin, etc. in addition to their normal whatever style. the era of globalization killed the "pure" martial arts styles.

Vieux Normand
6th August 11, 09:01 AM
it's impossible anyhow, everybody cross-trains. it's the world we live in, even the kung fu guys do a little tai chi, a little shaolin, etc. in addition to their normal whatever style. the era of globalization killed the "pure" martial arts styles.

You'd have to come up with brand-new MAs and get 'em fightin' each other before the glowballization waters 'em down/makes 'em more effective/commercializes 'em/whatever.

Making up brand-new MAs starts with names that nobody's thought of (or there will be accusations of plagiarism or some such).

How about the deadly art of Bogo-Filter versus the lethal discipline of Sensor-Pod?

Event to be held in your basement.

SoulMechanic
6th August 11, 02:08 PM
VN brings up a painful memory for me. The one and only time I got my ass whooped at school. Notice how I say it, "only time at school. It was 4th period gym class and it was the day we had to run "Hule's hill." Well Mr. Hule was some ex USC football player washout who was about 3 inches too short and about 35 lbs too light to ever play offensive line in the NFL. Hell of a guy. Anyhow I must tell you that SoulMecha is the fucking king of Hules hill. I own it, preside over it and every now and then I make it back up there, find a crack in the sidewalk and ram my dick all up in an ant hive and make sweet love to it. Well this cat I thought was my Ace Duece named Mandre(he had a cousin who I am almost positive had the same father named Andre) started talking some buster ass jive that he was gonna take my throne as master and record holder of Hules hill. I was like, "M'Andre you's a a crazzy nigga, you got better chances gettin a water buffalo to water ski." But he wouldnt stop talking shit. So we ran that race, he started strong, I kept back about mid pack of the school super dudes who excelled at all things sports and let M'Andre think he had this shit in the bag. He looks back and sees me like 8 feel behind him and we are running around the loop that goes around the school gym right before the actual Hules hill starts. So he sees me fallen back and like an idiot falls for my rope-a-dope- makes this noise with his mouth like after burners taking off" GRRRRNNNN BRISSHHHHHKKKK!" and proceeds to do his best impression of Carl Lewis running the 400 meters. Well needless to say I wait for like 100 yards, watch his knees buckle like that camel that falls down the sand dune in Laurence of Arabia and kick into gear and yell later "Bell,Biv BitchHo" smack him on the back of his flat topped head and kick everybodys ass to remain the king of Hule and his infamous hill of asthmatic wheesing and possible death spot of many a overweight band dork.

So after I make fun of M'Andre while clowning on him by doing my best version of a retard doing the running man dance. Dude starts talking to me like his voice was dubbed over in Engrish. Talkin about needing to learn respect and proper channeling of my powers. Challenges me to a fight to the death right then and there. I accept the challenge and tell him the only rule is NO RULEZ!. Well needless to say M'Andre beat the living shit out of me with a combination of shit Bruce LeRoy did in the last dragon mixed with WWF moves from guys like Ultimate Warrior and even did a fucking cartwheel to head kick ala Bam Bam Biggalow. When the battle was over and Andre (M'Andre's cousin) helped me off the ground he told me something. "Listen you dumb crackerbitch, nobody can defeat M'AnFu, NOBODY! Nigga beat my ass and that how he done perfected it. He learned it from watching wrestling,kung fu movies, that time Willie Knighten's lil sister Cinnamon tried to kill him with the pogo stick and from protectin his mama when his tad gets out of the joint. Its the most perfectest martial art." My reply to both M'Andre and Andre was, "Next time I do the nasty with both your ghetto ass moms I'm gonna practive my MomFu all over their purple pussayz!" Then they proceaded to chase me all around the school parking lot until I got them so tired they ended up in a little glenn that I was at the top of one side of. So I started throwing rocks at them saying "FUCK YOUR MORONFU, nobody defeats Colin quan doe!!!"
True story. That said, in my opinion is M'AnFu will defeat all other MA's. I'm not even kidding you M'AnFu will fuck up any middle school-er in the universe.

Toby Christensen
7th August 11, 01:59 AM
Such as?

There are a lot of different village-to-village wrestling styles. And if we allow weapons (non lethal ones) people can show the myriad ways to fuck each other with sticks.

resolve
7th August 11, 12:29 PM
-_______-

nihilist
7th August 11, 12:38 PM
Can you describe the techniques and strategies one might encounter in a typical TOBYVILLAGE tussle?

7th August 11, 01:52 PM
Can you describe the techniques and strategies one might encounter in a typical TOBYVILLAGE tussle?
He butches-up in an attempt to create the illusion that his inevitable ass-raping with a stick was unwanted

OZZ
7th August 11, 03:43 PM
Village vs. Village MA tourneys ?
It seems I haven't been missing much the past couple of weeks..fuck's sake.:headwall:

SoulMechanic
7th August 11, 03:55 PM
One would imagine the short bus would indeed have a myriad of both defensive and offensive uses in battle Toby.

Feryk
8th August 11, 01:09 PM
There are a lot of different village-to-village wrestling styles. And if we allow weapons (non lethal ones) people can show the myriad ways to fuck each other with sticks.

As to your stickfighting idea:

http://dogbrothers.com/

Higher Consciousness Through Harder Contact.

They set the standard.

SoulMechanic
15th August 11, 09:39 PM
I just wanted to take a moment and reflect on one of my top 5 fighters of all time. Chris "lights out" Lytle. He may not have had the better record then most as far as having the chips fall into the win column but he always and I mean always as cleche in MMA goes "brought it." Weather it was duking it out to the finish with Koscheck, or going three rounds and clobbering Matt Serra to avenge a previous loss to him, he always had the heart of a champion and the humility of a gentleman. He won more fight bonuses (usually for submission of the night) than any other fighter in UFC history. That says allot about his resolve and sheer level of gameness. I havnt looked up to sports figures really since the days of Tony Gwynn and Cal Ripken Jr. but as a 30 year old man I am not ashamed to say I always admired him. Most do not know he had a very successful boxing record before making the transition to mma. with a respectable record of 13 wins, 1 loss and 1 draw. In my opinion if he would have transitioned sooner in his career to MMA he would most likely have won the UFC strap and carried his torch for a nice little run. His MMA record on wiki is false BTW, he ended his career with a 44-18-5 record respectably. When he lost he never went out like a bitch. Never saw the quit in his eyes even when the odds where not in his favor. His record shows that he has been knocked out 2 times witch is also false. They were both in my opinion controversial doctor stoppages. He clearly had the fire still in his eyes and should have been let on to continue.I would also like to mention that he has never been submitted ever in his long and illustrious career as a mixed martial artist. That alone is a stupendous feat in and of itself. Especially figuring he has fought some amazing submission fighters like Mat Hughes and Nick Diaz. You are a warrior Chris Lytle, and an inspiration. I have always been particularly impressed that a guy coming from a pro boxing background transitioned to the ground game so well. With 23 wins by submission and only 6 by K.O. If he had a website or some way for me to contact him or meet him in person I would be honored to tell him this myself. So I just want to say thank you sir, you did your job, was always a company man with an "any opponent, any time, any where" attitude. May you be remembered for the skilled practitioner you where. I thank you from the bottom of my heart and respect your decision to end your career to spend time with your family, especially figuring your children are at an age where they need their father around the most in being that they are in the younger spectrum of their teenage years. You are no longer a pro fighter but you are a full time fireman and always have been during your fighting career. So you sir are a hero and a great American. May God bless you and your family. And again, thank you.
Best Wishes,
Colin L.

http://cdn3.sbnation.com/entry_photo_images/1744476/ufc_on_versus_postfight_lytle_wins_bonuses_wec_fig hters_entertain_and_hardy_keeps_his_job_large.jpg
http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQzJunPusY67jmARfB_kKtONCsHquWsN LByi6ccMIOAr0-gSn4C4g
http://i499.photobucket.com/albums/rr357/jcfire09/bloody_lytle.jpg

Conde Koma
15th August 11, 09:41 PM
what's this from?

SoulMechanic
15th August 11, 10:11 PM
Huh? I wrote it just now. What are you talking about?

Ajamil
15th August 11, 10:37 PM
Watched the Lytle v. Hardy fight a few days ago. Awesome bang-up with twist end.

Conde Koma
15th August 11, 11:10 PM
sorry, i thought the sign off was indicating it was from elsewhere.

15th August 11, 11:21 PM
of course you can tell Dola wrote it...it has the common Dola misspellings.

SoulMechanic
16th August 11, 12:40 PM
What u talking about? I am a spelling master.

OZZ
16th August 11, 02:15 PM
I'm still trying to digest this :
http://prodtsn.tsn.ca/mma/

Shawn and his boys are the one's who put this city on the map as far as MMA goes. He was a guy who was completely dedicated to the sport.
I feel for his poor wife and all the guys over at Adrenaline.
Just shitty..that's all.
I am assuming things will continue to operate as normal over at the club..I'll have to drop over tonight to see Sam and Mark.
RIP Shawn

bob
28th August 11, 04:38 AM
Remember when you used to watch kung fu movie fights with your superior MMA knowledge and find them ridiculous and unrealistic? And then there was Anderson Silva.

danno
28th August 11, 05:44 AM
one of my BJJ students (i've been a coach in a small town for about 6 months now) wants to be an MMA fighter. he's training muay thai and boxing too at the moment. he was talking about how he wants to learn karate and about anderson silva using unusual, fancy techniques.

i explained that the techniques themselves aren't particularly effective, but anderson silva can make them work because he's a freak. don't think you can imitate him and expect to get very far.

OZZ
28th August 11, 12:24 PM
I didn't feel like going out last night to see the fights and I kind of wish I had. Silva is always entertaining to watch. It seems he has proven himself to be one of the best ever once again.
I did watch the Prelims on Sportsnet though. The fight between Dan Miller and Rousimar Palhares was pretty crazy, that Palhares is one powerful dude. I'd hate to eat a solid hook from that boy.

28th August 11, 12:28 PM
one of my BJJ students .... wants to learn karate
I can see why you wisely chose to post this on Sociocide and not Bullshido, for fear of imploding the entire site.

SoulMechanic
28th August 11, 03:10 PM
I thought Brenden Schaub would have fared much better then he did. The only answer for Anderson is Jon Jones.

HappyOldGuy
28th August 11, 03:21 PM
I thought Brenden Schaub would have fared much better then he did. The only answer for Anderson is Jon Jones.

He's not gonna get a rematch for multiple obvious reasons (drug test, lack of charisma, boring ass fight) , but Chael Sonnen manhandled Silva for 4 and a half rounds.

Conde Koma
28th August 11, 05:21 PM
only to get choked out because he refuses to study submission defense. he deserves to never get a title shot again for that kind of stupidity.

agreed about bones jones, though.

SoulMechanic
28th August 11, 05:46 PM
Fuck You kind sir. Chael deserves a second shot. He came closest to beating Silva since 2006. Like him or not he should get that shot. Plus his dirty mouth puts butts in seats and PPV buys in.

bob
28th August 11, 07:43 PM
Schaub needs to learn better striking defence with a chin like that.
As for Jones... not keen tbh. A guy who is going to end up at heavyweight vs a guy who started out wellter. It's not a fair match up and silva has no reason to want it.

HappyOldGuy
28th August 11, 08:20 PM
Fuck You kind sir. Chael deserves a second shot. He came closest to beating Silva since 2006. Like him or not he should get that shot. Plus his dirty mouth puts butts in seats and PPV buys in.

I didn't say he shouldn't, I said he won't.

bob
28th August 11, 09:41 PM
Don't think I've ever seen a top line fighter more obviously not wanna be there than forrest griffin. Kinda sad. Hope he quits while he's ahead, he's obviously an intelligent guy.

nihilist
28th August 11, 11:00 PM
... he refuses to study submission defense... lolwut?

bob
28th August 11, 11:13 PM
His sub defence is awesome. when caught, quick tap so they release, then claim you didn't.

nihilist
29th August 11, 12:12 AM
He tapped? Show me. EDIT: NM, I'm thinking of the Filho fight.
Didn't see the Silva fight. Did he claim not to have tapped to Silva?

nihilist
29th August 11, 01:03 AM
Just watched round one.
Silva got assraped.

nihilist
29th August 11, 01:10 AM
Round two:
Lots of bitch hugs from the bottom. Things could have been different if Silva would have worked on submission offense.

nihilist
29th August 11, 01:17 AM
Round three:
Anderson rests while Sonnen plays percussion on Silva's skull.

nihilist
29th August 11, 01:25 AM
Round four:
Anderson wants to ascend from his role as a power-bottom.
Chael says fuck that and easily reverses position.

nihilist
29th August 11, 01:38 AM
Round Five:
Sonnen starts celebrating victory early and gets sloppy. Silva pulls a rabbit out of a hat.
Someone deserves a rematch.

SoulMechanic
29th August 11, 02:06 AM
Yup. That was the gist of it Reese. Chael is his own worst enemy.

nihilist
29th August 11, 02:21 AM
In more ways than one.

29th August 11, 07:46 AM
he ain't getting a rematch until he is done with my real estate closings.

OZZ
29th August 11, 10:18 AM
Don't think I've ever seen a top line fighter more obviously not wanna be there than forrest griffin. Kinda sad. Hope he quits while he's ahead, he's obviously an intelligent guy.

Yes..I think its time for Forrest to move into a trainer's role. I disagree about the intelligent thing though. Flip through a few pages of his book - he's pretty stupid in some respects.
I like the guy as a fighter, but he's no genius.

Ajamil
29th August 11, 12:50 PM
Just finishing up 134 right now. Kind of a love/hate going for me with this UFC.

The fights are good but they are all so short! I think only four or five actually went to the second round, and much fewer went through all three. I was surprised Cane - a striker with a 6 inch reach advantage - lost to a wrestler, but that's what you get for underestimating the overhand right. Barbosa v. Pearson went the distance, and was a nice brawl. Pearson just couldn't seem to get past Barbosa's range, even though he could basically take every hit and some he just walked right through. I like Brendan Schaub, and am sorry to see him taken down. Made me happy to see Silva in rare form - actually wanting to fight. He pulls out his delightful, "strike me - I dare you," pose and once again just seems to slap Okami to the ground.

Kenny Florian was the 2nd announcer taking the place of Joe Rogan. It was nice to hear him during the fights, but he's terrible at post-fight interviews.

The crowd was rather different, as is to be expected of Brazil. They were a lot more vocal in showing preference to the hometown boys. By that I mean not only would they cheer Brazilians, but they would often boo whoever the challenger was. I don't remember other crowds being so loud in their "distaste."

Watching the title fight, it made me start to wonder about a Silva v. Fedor matchup. Fedor is getting older, but he is a few weight classes over Silva. As it is I'd have to give any fight to him, but it'd be hairy. If they were the same weight class, I'm not certain whose boxing style would be worse. I always hear Fedor has crazy angles in his punches, and they are very hard to follow. However no one has head movement like Silva, to the point where he doesn't even need to use his hands if he's concentrating. Today, I would say Silva wins if they are in the same weight class. If it was against Fedor in his prime, I think it's too close to call.

OZZ
24th September 11, 05:01 PM
Bones or Rampage fellas ??

I'm going to go with the more intelligent of the two ..even though Rampage is a beast.
Ill say Jones scores a late TKO/ Submission.

HappyOldGuy
24th September 11, 05:49 PM
Bones. Rampage doesn't seem to have the fire any more.

bob
24th September 11, 06:40 PM
Hard to pick against a guy with the best top game around against a guy with glaring weaknesses off his back. not to mention clinch weakness against a greco guy with knees like that. That said, rampage has a path to victory. He's a great boxer and Jones is hittable on the inside. I just can't see him staying there long enough to make it count.

Craigypooh
27th September 11, 06:33 AM
Bones or Rampage fellas ??

I'm going to go with the more intelligent of the two ..even though Rampage is a beast.
Ill say Jones scores a late TKO/ Submission.

Good call! Did you put money on this?

OZZ
27th September 11, 10:16 AM
Just a beer..

bob
4th October 11, 11:10 PM
I'm pretty excited for this weekend's fight. The second Edgar-Maynard fight was one of the best MMA bouts I've ever seen. Could be epic.

HappyOldGuy
4th October 11, 11:29 PM
I'm pretty excited for this weekend's fight. The second Edgar-Maynard fight was one of the best MMA bouts I've ever seen. Could be epic.

I'm a big Florian fan too. I may have to get this one. But really, Two PPV per month? I think they are milking a little more than the cow can bear.

danno
5th October 11, 12:08 AM
really? i'd watch it every weekend.

SoulMechanic
5th October 11, 01:39 AM
But would you PAY to watch it every weekend Danno?

danno
5th October 11, 02:19 AM
i rarely pay to watch it.

SoulMechanic
5th October 11, 03:14 AM
Same here, but sometimes its fun to have all the dudes over for a BBQ and PPV event. My 56 inch 1080p is much better to watch the fights on then my computer monitor.

Also, Jose Aldo is going to knock Kenny out of the cage and into a spot in the announcers box. I mean really now, K-Flo aint gonna beat Aldo and when he loses whats he gonna do, move down to 135 and demand a title fight with Cruz after one win or fade into gatekeeper obscurity in the 145 division? Its sad, but most likely whats gonna happen.

bob
5th October 11, 03:16 AM
Florian will be fine though. He's gonna take Rogan's job one day. Aldo has said he doesn't like the cut much so one day him vs. maybe Edgar would be truly awesome.

I'm actually quite interested in Stann and Sonnen, god help me.

SoulMechanic
5th October 11, 03:19 AM
Nothing to be ashamed of. The Stann/Sonnen fight is a great matchup and will be very entertaining.

bob
9th October 11, 06:25 AM
Frankie Edgar is a freak. I think you could hit him with a baseball bat and he'd recover given a one minute stint on the stool. I loved the way he picked his shots perfectly when he had Maynard hurt, right on the point of the chin. Poor Gray looked so confused at the end. It was like a boss fight in any given video game - move, move, move, move, attack, watch out for huge counter.

Joe Rogan annoyed the shit out of me the way he talked up Florian. "He's been the more aggressive fighter." As if that counts for anything when you've landed essentially 0 effective offense in 5 rounds.

And Sonnen was obviously on the right happy joy juice tonight.

Great card.

Ajamil
9th October 11, 08:50 AM
AAAAAAAA!!!!!! Well at least I know I can watch it now...

BTW, anyone else watching Ultimate Fighter? It's been an interesting season so far. I wished they showed more of the green haired guy's first fight.

bob
9th October 11, 12:46 PM
Sorry. I never bother spoilering in here coz I figure anyone who hasn't seen it yet isn't likely to click the thread.

Ajamil
9th October 11, 01:02 PM
Ahh, my compulsive bad then.

SoulMechanic
9th October 11, 04:08 PM
All I gotta say is Chael Sonnen is baller as fuck.
“Anderson Silva, you absolutely suck. Super Bowl weekend, the biggest rematch in the history of the business, I’m calling you out Silva, but we’re upping the stakes. I beat you, you leave the division. You beat me, I will leave the UFC forever.”

Oh the man drama, love it. Must admit my inner republican wants him to rag doll Anderson's goofy ass.

Ajamil
9th October 11, 10:48 PM
Just started watching, hot damn J-Lo was great! I didn't even see the hook that caught Guillard, but all of a sudden Lauzon was on him and behind him and tapping him out. He'll always be a favorite of mine for silly Bullshido reasons, but I'm glad he proved the "Guillard will crush him on the way to the title" announcers wrong.

I'm happy/sad Sonnen won. Stann has grown on me as a very honorable fighter and I like to see him win. However I'd love to see someone take the belt away from Silva and I think Sonnen is the best chance at that.

10th October 11, 10:33 AM
All I gotta say is Chael Sonnen is baller as fuck.
“Anderson Silva, you absolutely suck. Super Bowl weekend, the biggest rematch in the history of the business, I’m calling you out Silva, but we’re upping the stakes. I beat you, you leave the division. You beat me, I will leave the UFC forever.”

Oh the man drama, love it. Must admit my inner republican wants him to rag doll Anderson's goofy ass.
Sonnen will be ready.
He's got your pops as a training partner.

SoulMechanic
17th October 11, 05:09 PM
I like to take little breaks from work throughout the day and catch up on my sporting news. I found this little gem today from Chris Leben talking about what it was like fighting his hero. This really struck me. Its funny, would not have expected insight like this from A) Chris Leben and B) from a fluff piece.

http://www.cagepotato.com/chris-leben-the-cagepotato-retrospective-interview/1/
\“Wanderlei Silva was my hero. Me and my best friend would walk across town and go to this Japanese toy store that had bootleg PRIDE videos when I first started training, just to watch Wanderlei Silva fight, because that was back when you couldn’t really watch PRIDE in the United States. The guy scared the shit out of me. I thought he’d maybe kill somebody out there. So the fight was one of those ‘be careful what you wish for’ moments.

I wanted to fight Wanderlei Silva not because I thought I’d beat him easy. But I truly want to have epic fights. I fancy myself to be a martial artist, and somebody that strives to grow and progress, and I knew that was a tough measuring stick for me. There’s always that, ‘How do I stack up now against him?’ It wasn’t that I thought I could win. I’m not afraid to admit when I’m scared. I’m not afraid to admit that I think he’s a better fighter than me. But a man faces his fears, and that was more or less my thought process when I fought Wanderlei.”

When I kinda think back to when I first saw CL it was during TUF season 1. I was in San Diego via Los Angeles visiting my family. Mom was cooking and my Pop was in his wood shop being a grumpy old duffer. So pop walks in while Leben is spouting off about something and my Dad goes "my god boy, that is one strange and drug addled person. Why do you like this shit?" Thinking back, Leben was a mess at times. I honestly thought he was going to fade into irrelevant obscurity after his whole DUI conviction and failed drug test. But I must say to my surprise he has really seemed to turn things around for himself. 4-1 in his last 5 showings, all against top tier competition and a fight with an extremely game Mark Munoz in the future. Ive always loved Leben's style and have never missed one of his fights ever. But I can honestly say I was never a fan. But after reflecting and reading this interview he truly has won me over. I can relate with him. He got to the point where he had to become honest with himself about himself. He realized his potential and knew that a change must be made in order to achieve any level of sustained success. Anyhow, the read is a nice little slice of insight into the life and growth of an mma fighter.

OZZ
17th October 11, 05:14 PM
I'm looking forward to the Cung Le - Wanderlei Silva coming this November 19th.
I think it will be exciting and its not likely to go the distance..it should be a good hard-hitting match.

SoulMechanic
17th October 11, 06:26 PM
Old Age vs. Hollywood Ringrust. It is going to be a good fight though.

OZZ
17th October 11, 06:35 PM
Yeah, I was kinda surprised to hear that Cung ' Gone Hollywood ' Le was fighting..I guess he's subbing for Vitor Belfort. He was originally supposed to take Silva on.

OZZ
18th October 11, 09:34 PM
GSP is out..
http://www.tsn.ca/mma/story/?id=378401

SoulMechanic
18th October 11, 10:24 PM
Damn, this has been a truly chaotic card from the get go. Only positive for me is that now I don't feel so bad about having to DJ a wedding on the same night as the fights. I think Koscheck should step in and fight Penn and Diaz should fight Condit. Talk about a Chinese fire drill.

OZZ
1st November 11, 09:58 AM
Apparently, someone has finally figured out how to get under GSP's skin :
http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/mma/news?slug=ki-ufc_137_st_pierre_reacts_to_diaz_103111
I'm always happy when BJ Penn loses, and if Diaz and GSP are going to square off - fabulous.
Also :
http://www.tsn.ca/mma/story/?id=377947

OZZ
12th November 11, 10:48 PM
What a joke ..all that hype for a UFC Heavyweight fight and its over just like that.
The Henderson - Guida fight was really good though, I'm glad I caught that one.

bob
12th November 11, 11:54 PM
Well it's hard to complain. People whinge about drawn out 5 round snoozers as well. You can either accept that things won't always end up perfectly entertaining or watch scripted fights. The undercard had some great fights on it.

danno
13th November 11, 01:47 AM
perhaps you should stop watching MMA and go back to kung fu movies.

most crowds boo if fighters don't jump in there and start swinging, in which case it's a coin flip as to who will win. a fight can always end with a single punch, and that's one of the reasons i don't mind a more cautious fight strategy.

SoulMechanic
13th November 11, 05:32 AM
Fucking Cain, dude you are a wrestler first and foremost. Just because you are Mexican does not make you mothefucking Oscar De la Hoya on steroids. I highly doubt you would find JDS shooting a double or single on your ass so why you think you can bring that shit toe to toe man, cause you got away with that shit with Brock's awkward ass or cardio-deficient Carwin and his mediocre at best boxing? Negro please DJS has wicked ass combos and hits like a mack truck. Brown Pride done fucked up.

Did I ever tell you dudes that Cub Swanson is my ex-girlfriend's first cousin? Ive had dinner with his mother.

Also, who the fuck cares what Travis Barker's opinion on anything is let alone combat sports. Oh Gawd...

bob
13th November 11, 06:17 AM
Yeah, I really think he underestimated how much better a strikers jds was. That said, jds has great td defence so just shooting from the outside without engaging probably wasn't going to work.

13th November 11, 10:11 AM
First lol @ overhand right ending the short fight after all the "singlelegcompetentgrapplertothegroundsubmissionwre stlerpedigree" bullshit. Goddam I fucking love the overhand right

Second god hates Bock Lenar Frate Tranny

Third how cool is it that the President of the company was doing color commentary

Fourth Rogan looked fat

Fifth they should have had an undercard fight ready to go in case of quick stoppage like they do on PPV

Sixth CUNG LE. That is all

Sent by telekinesis via Cerebro

Feryk
13th November 11, 02:55 PM
I fucking loved how that turned out. I like Cain just fine, but all the pre-fight 'he has no weakness!!!' bullshit was annoying as hell. He has a weakness, it's called his temple. Just like anyone else.

Cain never got a chance to deploy his game plan. JDS reminds me of a big Chuck Liddell. I loved watching him too. I guess the whole 'specialist vs. all ranges' debate just got a new chapter written in it.

bob
13th November 11, 03:46 PM
I just love the fact that the 'baddest man on the planet' has the demeanour of a second grade teacher.

OZZ
13th November 11, 08:41 PM
Well it's hard to complain.

Yeah, I'm actually pissed off about the fact that none of the bars were broadcasting the Boxing match in favor of the UFC and then its over just like that, then I am about the fight ending quickly.

Also, Fox sucks..they can't do anything right except for NFL football. That was a terrible broadcasting job.
Walking the audience through the rules and all that bullshit was stupid and unneccessary. This sport has been around long enough - it actually gave a bad impression than anything else. Its like Dana's still trying to prove to the' larger audience ' that the UFC is a legitimate sport.

Fifth they should have had an undercard fight ready to go in case of quick stoppage like they do on PPV
Yes..

OZZ
13th November 11, 08:47 PM
perhaps you should stop watching MMA and go back to kung fu movies.

Perhaps you should shut up.

13th November 11, 09:21 PM
You ain't got a Buffalo Wild Wings in Cannucklestan?

Sent by telekinesis via Cerebro

danno
13th November 11, 10:50 PM

Perhaps you should shut up.

if you have a problem with the programming and presentation, that's fine. but i'm seeing a lot of people complaining that the fight was too short. that's very, very silly imo.

if that's how the audience is going to react, they shouldn't broadcasting like this at all. one of the best things about MMA is how unpredictable the fights can be, but it appears to be a weakness in this format.