PDA

View Full Version : i want a ute

danno
19th November 10, 06:19 AM
i'm considering trading in the old camry to help buy an old ute. probably a hilux like this:

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/3483/hiluxw.jpg

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/2206/engineyl.jpg

this one in particular has 425000 kms (264 083 miles) on the odometer. that's a lot. but it's a hilux, it's cheap, and appears to be in good condition. i'll go check it out tomorrow perhaps. could this possibly be ok or is that just too many miles?

any recommendations for reliable old models? and any further ute-oriented discussion.

Yiktin Voxbane
19th November 10, 11:12 AM
Top-Gear proved these are virtually unkillable , over 3 episodes they set one on fire, then anchored it in english channel afore finally strapping it to the top of a tower that was levelled via an explosion.

Each time a mechanic with only basic tools was able to revive the bloody thing .

partyboy
19th November 10, 11:40 AM
OVkedyQZfwQ

Neildo
19th November 10, 01:27 PM
i'm gonna vote hilux also in terms of overall value. holden maloo would be cooler though. that vxr8 engine in a truck is like the ford lightning with the same supercharged v8 as the ford gt. it's just silly power but it's useful if you actually need to tow or carry heavy stuff a lot. however it does cost quite a bit more than a used hilux.

resolve
19th November 10, 01:28 PM
Want.

Kiko
19th November 10, 01:34 PM

(Yes, I know what you meant.. I had to post it...)

Neildo
19th November 10, 01:37 PM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/b8/Deni_ute_muster_2002_two_utes.jpg

Nasreal
19th November 10, 01:44 PM

(Yes, I know what you meant.. I had to post it...)
I lol'd

danno
19th November 10, 05:41 PM
LOL, someone tagged the thread "danno's midlife crisis".

the main reason i was inspired to get this thing recently is because i need to move house. other than that, i just want a ute.

my concern with this one is the insane distance it's traveled. it can apparently come with a warranty though. that's pretty good.

unfortunately, high power is out of the question for me. running costs would be too high.

Harpy
19th November 10, 06:11 PM
Do you need a vehicle in the city danno? Guess I'd look at the costs (annual rego, insurance, fuel efficiency, how much use you're going to get out of it).

Awesome nonetheless. The few friends I have with utes tend to be self-employed in trade, landscaping etc. and are able to claim fuel costs as a tax deduction.

bob
19th November 10, 06:12 PM
Will they throw in the cattle dog?

Spade: The Real Snake
19th November 10, 06:23 PM
I thought everyone in Oz was just issued a Suburu Outback as standard procedure

Cullion
19th November 10, 06:37 PM
LOL, someone tagged the thread "danno's midlife crisis".

the main reason i was inspired to get this thing recently is because i need to move house. other than that, i just want a ute.

my concern with this one is the insane distance it's traveled. it can apparently come with a warranty though. that's pretty good.

unfortunately, high power is out of the question for me. running costs would be too high.

Can't you just rent one ?

danno
19th November 10, 09:28 PM
Can't you just rent one ?

my other options are this, re-registering the camry (runs out in a couple of weeks) and hiring a trailer, or spending a little more money and having my own ute.

and then there's the fact that i just want a ute.

the camry has been awesome though - i've driven around 40,000 kms and it hasn't broken down once. replaced the muffler and shocks and there is some rust, otherwise extremely reliable.

danno
19th November 10, 09:28 PM
Do you need a vehicle in the city danno? Guess I'd look at the costs (annual rego, insurance, fuel efficiency, how much use you're going to get out of it).

i'll be driving it out of town also.

danno
20th November 10, 12:39 AM
damnit.

been weighing everything up. looks like i'm going to sell the camry to the wreckers or see if i can sell it to someone else, and hire a small truck for the day. this is the most affordable option for me.

but in the future, i WILL have a ute. a hilux probably. we'll see how things go next year.

btw, i'm moving to another town because my female human will be studying medicine there.

EDIT - and it's a rural city, about 27,000 people. beautiful place.

Neildo
20th November 10, 09:46 AM
rural = ute necessary

Cullion
20th November 10, 04:44 PM
damnit.

been weighing everything up. looks like i'm going to sell the camry to the wreckers or see if i can sell it to someone else, and hire a small truck for the day. this is the most affordable option for me.

I'm glad we're on the same page. If I can help with anything else, just ask.

but in the future, i WILL have a ute. a hilux probably.

What about the carbon footprint?

Neildo
20th November 10, 05:19 PM
by buying a used and reliable vehicle as opposed to the vehicle being scrapped and buying a brand new one he is reducing his carbon footprint.

Cullion
20th November 10, 06:53 PM
I always thought all these new electric vehicles would be bad for the environment.

danno
20th November 10, 07:29 PM
i don't do anything to reduce my carbon footprint. i don't see the point.

nihilist
21st November 10, 11:33 PM
I want a Ute (http://www.cyprusevents.net/assets/event/ute_lemper.jpeg) too.

EDIT: wow, you really CAN'T distinguish links in this all white text...:(