PDA

View Full Version : Pelgrimage

Lebell
8th November 10, 07:16 AM
It's going to be a hot day.
Only 9 in the morning and you can already feel the cool morningair making way for the dry heat.
Sounds of old churchbells are mixing with the calls to prayer, as I make my way towards the Via Dolorosa.
They're not the only ones trying to lure me in, the shopkeepers are open for bussiness and eager to make a sale.
I pass them by and find myself right in front of the Holy Sepulchre where groups of pelgrims get organised to enter the church with a designated tourguide.
Inside the Holy Sepulchre is a chaotic mixture of Christian denominations, languages and emotions; people cry, pray, worship, or whisper in awe.
An old monk sits in a corner and keeps an eye on the box with donations.
I need to go on, this is not what i'm here for.
10 o clock, it's really heating up and the tourists are everywhere now, they must bring them by the busloads, i make my way through a crowd of pelgrims, tourists, nons, and pushy merchants who each provide loud arabic popmusic booming from the stereos in their shops for my entertainment.
I really need to get out of here.
I don't think im on the Via Dolorosa anymore, these narrow streets are full of touristic shops offering souvenirs in the form of t-shirts, menora's, crosses, walltiles depicting the Qubbat as-Sakhrah and a sea of plastic crap.
Where the hell is the lions gate?
10.30, it's getting even hotter and the first kebabstalls are starting to cook their first batches of kebabs of questionable quality from the smell of it, adding spiced flavour and more heat into the dry air.
Maybe the secret of the Old city's magic lies in the dry heat combined with these crowded narrow streets, the explosion of all these different almost alien people all occupying 3 square miles at best.
I'm beginning to understand why the soil of this place is drenched in blood, and why people wanted to kill and die for just possesing this old city.
I can also understand after seeing these holy places,with their donationboxes cleverly dispatched and their different inhabitant sects jealously guarding their corner of the sanctuary, how one would object to it all and devices a revolution, a cleasing of the temple.
These people who say they can teach you about God yet they can not move a single ladder...
Almost 11 o clock and I'm walking through the lions gate, it's not far now, maybe ten minutes at most.
I can see the mount already.
The golden tops of the Russian orthodox monestary reflect the sunlight, to it's right should be the Dominus Flevit, where the Lord wept, and where He had his moment of doubt, and also where He decided to trust and accept his faith, the most crucial scene in Christianity.
He left the city to spend the night to pray in the gardens of Ghetsemane, in solitude, with his followers waiting further down the mount.
Now i'm halfway up the mount I can see why He did that.
From under the shade of an olivetree I can hear shards of the distant sounds of traffic going over the highway that runs past the Old city.
The few people here whisper softly, and I can hear birds singing and the wind going through the leaves of the trees.
Even while I know no torture or death awaits me when I return to the city i'm doubting if I should.

Tonuzaba
8th November 10, 07:30 AM
It's "pilgrim" and "nun", for chrissakes...

What's with the ladder?

Also, it reads more a diary entry as a story to me. And I don't understand why the streets would make people want to kill for them. But I wasn't there personally, so...

Lebell
8th November 10, 07:47 AM
It's "pilgrim" and "nun", for chrissakes...

What's with the ladder?

Also, it reads more a diary entry as a story to me. And I don't understand why the streets would make people want to kill for them. But I wasn't there personally, so...

lolol, im sicker then i thought.
(smal flu at the moment) pelgrim and non are dutch spelling.

the ladder is a hint at the holy sepulchre, there's a ladder there.
all im saying.
as a xtian basher you should really enjoy the story behind that.

it's supposed to resamble a diary entry, its a describing story, you follow the narrator in his own logic, im not spelling everything out.

Harpy
8th November 10, 04:37 PM
Not bad Lebell. If you weren't Dutch I'd let you win.

Lebell
8th November 10, 04:47 PM
Not bad Lebell. If you weren't Dutch I'd let you win.

There will be a time in the near future, around 4 in the morning, where I gently pull your head back by your hair and will whisper in your ear if you care to repeat this remark.
You will smile with satisfaction and sleep like a baby.
When you wake up I will have made you ovenbaked croissants.

Harpy
8th November 10, 07:11 PM
Somebody kill me now.

Ajamil
8th November 10, 08:05 PM
That's what the croissants are for.

Harpy
9th November 10, 01:51 AM
That'd be too late for me Arj.

Lebell
9th November 10, 05:24 AM
Lily, don't fight your feelings for me.
We are wasting the best looking years now.
;-)

Shotgun Christening
10th November 10, 06:39 AM
There will be a time in the near future, around 4 in the morning, where I gently pull your head back by your hair and will whisper in your ear if you care to repeat this remark.
You will smile with satisfaction and sleep like a baby.
When you wake up I will have made you ovenbaked croissants.

I dont think shed tast good as a croissant but Ill bet you wont have to add butter to the mixture.