PDA

View Full Version : How do I pull images from my home computer ?

OZZ
4th November 10, 08:13 PM
I am notorious for being computer illiterate. I have managed to upload an image for my profile picture on BS, but how do I go about pulling random pics from my computer and putting them in threads etc.? I have some older Halloween photos and pics of my cats I would like to share..

WarPhalange
4th November 10, 08:14 PM
photobucket.com

Upload your photos there and then just copy/paste the url of the image, wrap it in [ img] tags.

OZZ
4th November 10, 08:53 PM
Like this :

My Wife's ...

ok cancel

edit | move | share | delete |

OZZ
4th November 10, 08:59 PM
What is the URL ? I opened an account and my pictures are on there, but I can't move them here.
I tried copying/pasting the same way I do with news articles and stuff but it never works.

Steve
4th November 10, 09:00 PM
Right click on your image on Photobucket and select "copy img url." When you post, click the "image" button (the one that is a picture of a tree) and paste the url into the box. When you post you should see your picture.

Steve
4th November 10, 09:13 PM
More detailed example (with pictures, yay) for pulling images off of Photobucket:

1. go to your album (duh).
http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i141/forstevee/ScreenHunter_01Nov041906.gif

2. mouse over the image you want to post so the share options open underneath it.
http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i141/forstevee/ScreenHunter_02Nov041906.gif

3. scroll down to "IMG code" (this will automatically post your url with IMG tags around it)
http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i141/forstevee/ScreenHunter_03Nov041906.gif

4. right click and copy the code then just paste it into your post.
http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i141/forstevee/ScreenHunter_04Nov041906.gif

When you submit your reply the image should be visible.

partyboy
4th November 10, 09:28 PM
imgur.com (in my opinion) has ben 10,000x better than photobucket...

so far their bandwidth appears to be unlimited and I've never had a problem with them not displaying a linked picture (plus you can even edit picture sizes and it gives you a straight message board link i.e., pic when you upload)

WarPhalange
4th November 10, 09:49 PM
imgur.com (in my opinion) has ben 10,000x better than photobucket...

so far their bandwidth appears to be unlimited and I've never had a problem with them not displaying a linked picture (plus you can even edit picture sizes and it gives you a straight message board link i.e., pic when you upload)

So in other words, it's exactly like Photobucket?

Ajamil
4th November 10, 10:27 PM
I had problems with photobucket as well. I still have a bunch of pics there, but Image Shack has been loads better.

resolve
5th November 10, 12:49 AM
Photobucket sucks ass.

Use Image Shack. You don't even have to have an account there (although having one is handy for when you only want something up for a short amount of time). It's faster than most other image services I've seen too.

http://imageshack.us/

When you upload just copy "direct link" url off the left (it will have a ton of links to your image, but direct link will be near or on the top iirc) and paste it between [ img][ /img] tags.

WarPhalange
5th November 10, 12:54 AM
Not once have I had a problem with photobucket.

resolve
5th November 10, 12:57 AM
If it aint broke, don't fix it... or replace it... even if something obviously better comes along.

The most annoying thing about Photobucket is their propensity to delete images randomly and without warning (obviously doesn't happen to everybody, but still) and the fact that getting images off of their site when using image search engines sucks. It's also not very noob friendly.

WarPhalange
5th November 10, 01:22 AM
I think you guys are just morons. I don't see this "obviously better" thing if it already does everything I could want, including edit images I've uploaded.

Steve
5th November 10, 03:12 AM
Yeah, I'm a bit in the dark about this too. I've never had a problem with my free Photobucket account.

resolve
5th November 10, 05:03 AM
Aside from the fact you can't view images directly... it's fine for teh internet handicapped.

Sure, they show up on message boards... but if you have an image you want to be able to shoot someone in an email if they click on the link it will load up its entire freaking site, and your profile, and then the image... and then SCALE the image down and you have to mess with their image tools to get it to view right.

Image Shack and others that provide direct links to the image will allow you to bypass all that bs and simply view an image, at its correct resolution; no fuss. It's also better for the internet image sharing community as a whole because Photobucket always messes up image searches through search engines; especially Google's.

Also the fact you don't have to register for Image Shack is a huge plus in my book. I have an account with them anyways for when I'm sharing time sensitive images that need to be deleted in the hour, or things I want to keep track of permanently, but other than that everything goes up onto the normal upload to be washed away into the currents of the interbutt.

Steve
5th November 10, 05:18 AM
It's also not very noob friendly.

And you are obviously a noob. The site is very easy to navigate.

I'm truly sorry if you can't figure out how to mouse over images.

resolve
5th November 10, 05:45 AM
Why are you defending it so viciously Steve? Why do you even care?

Seriously, there's got to be a reason because I'm hoping you just aren't picking internet fights for fun...

Steve
5th November 10, 06:00 AM

Uh, what? Why do you care?

You must be reading what I'm writing in a way that is not intended, it was a joke (I'm sure you can mouse over images just fine).

I've never had a problem with Photobucket so I'm not going to change. My poking fun is a counter point to your recommendation, I have no other reason for it.

Seriously, there's got to be a reason because I'm hoping you just aren't picking internet fights for fun...

Why would you ask that?

Shotgun Christening
5th November 10, 06:32 AM
tinypic.com

Upload photo, click browse. Open your pics folder and click the piuc. Hit upload.

Right click the provided (for forum/message boards) url. It auto adds the stuff. Easy as pie.

Shotgun Christening
5th November 10, 06:34 AM

He was just messing with you. Are you new here?

:)

billy sol hurok
5th November 10, 06:57 AM
I'm not one to gripe overly about free stuff, but at Photobucket they've removed photos that I've taken of, for instance, this Modigliani:

Dunno if it was the nekkid lady, or a faux copyright issue.

Kiko
1st February 11, 02:50 PM
Bumping now that it's stickied... cause it's helpful.

Steve
1st February 11, 03:07 PM
Erm, bumping a stickied thread... *scratches head*

Kiko
1st February 11, 03:10 PM
I didn't know if anyone would notice it had been stickied...

Steve
1st February 11, 03:15 PM
I'm teasing you, Kiko. ;)

Kiko
1st February 11, 03:17 PM
It's cool. I'm sorta doing some light housekeeping...

*dusts and straightens*

NoBowie
1st February 11, 03:41 PM
It's cool. I'm sorta doing some more attention-whore thread ending.

Steve
1st February 11, 03:42 PM
WHO'S ENDING A THREAD NOW, MOFO????

NoBowie
1st February 11, 03:43 PM
WHO'S ENDING A THREAD NOW, MOFO????

MY MOM.

Kiko
1st February 11, 03:43 PM
Actually, I've been doing tags.
;ppppppppppppppppppp

AROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWOOOOOOOOOOOO!

NoBowie
1st February 11, 03:52 PM
Actually, I've been doing tags.
;ppppppppppppppppppp

AROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWOOOOOOOOOOOO!

For God's sake, go rent some time with a he-wolf and the zoo and get it out of (or should I say into) your system.

Kiko
1st February 11, 03:55 PM
My Alpha is working from home. I'll amuse or distract myself as I see fit. Stop cluttering up this thread, it's meant to inform people. Unless you want newbs to have this as their first impression.

NoBowie
1st February 11, 03:58 PM
My Alpha is working from home. I'll amuse or distract myself as I see fit. Stop cluttering up this thread, it's meant to inform people. Unless you want newbs to have this as their first impression.

Hey newbs! Guess what?

BOOBIES! LOLOLOL

Steve
1st February 11, 04:00 PM
Steve's mom wrote this post.

Kiko
1st February 11, 04:01 PM
*waves to Steve's mom*

Steve
1st February 11, 04:01 PM
GOD DAMMIT, MOM!

Kiko
1st February 11, 04:02 PM
I'll get this one for ya, Mom.

*smacks Steve for swearing in the Support Thread*

Not in front of the newbs!!

Steve
1st February 11, 04:03 PM
I'll be good. Sorry.

OZZ
1st February 11, 04:54 PM
tinypic.com

Upload photo, click browse. Open your pics folder and click the piuc. Hit upload.

Right click the provided (for forum/message boards) url. It auto adds the stuff. Easy as pie.

OK..

http://i53.tinypic.com/2wo93rn.jpg

OZZ
1st February 11, 04:55 PM
YAAYY!! I did it.

That is Chewie..

Kiko
1st February 11, 05:03 PM
*smiles*
I knew it would work!

Hi, Chewie!

NoBowie
1st February 11, 05:43 PM
If you don't want your cat to seem delicious and edible, you probably shouldn't name him "Chewie"

FickleFingerOfFate
1st February 11, 06:19 PM
If you don't want your son to be a perpetual assbeating victim,

Don't name him Todd.

NoBowie
1st February 11, 06:37 PM
If you want your son to be a perpetual assbeating victim,

Don't name him Todd. And make sure he joins a union of some sort.

FickleFingerOfFate
1st February 11, 06:57 PM
That would just make sure he wasn't an elitist prick, as well.

NoBowie
1st February 11, 09:16 PM
That would just make sure he didn't have much of a prick as well.

FickleFingerOfFate
1st February 11, 10:04 PM
So, you already belong to the cock-holsters union.

OZZ
29th March 11, 11:07 AM
I need to try this again..trial run on Image Shack

[URL=http://img508.imageshack.us/i/picture008hm.jpg/]http://img508.imageshack.us/img508/3716/picture008hm.th.jpg[/URL

OZZ
29th March 11, 11:08 AM
That sucks ass..

OZZ
29th March 11, 11:16 AM
http://img232.imageshack.us/img232/9994/dscf1294g.jpg

Ajamil
29th March 11, 11:35 AM
I use imageshack - do you use the desktop downloader? If not, then from My Images, click on the tiny "i" to the right, copy the short link (very top one), then use sociocide's IMG function from URL (unless you want sociocide to host the pic as well, uncheck "retrieve remote file and reference locally."

With the desktop downloader, it's the same but the url comes from the top right link in the pop-up completion screen.

OZZ
29th March 11, 11:36 AM
Yes.I think Imageshack is a bit better than photobucket.It seems easier..

Ajamil
29th March 11, 11:42 AM
I really recommend the downloader. It has a resizing option - no custom sizes, but still very handy.