PDA

View Full Version : Mazda MX-5 - For guys, or girls?

Neildo
3rd November 10, 11:04 AM
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_GIlsuSZq_VM/SOYjdwV8b3I/AAAAAAAAHcU/CbCUX5SiSyU/s400/2008-Mazda-MX5-facelift-2%5B1%5D.jpg

This is a picture of the new one but i'm talking about all the mx-5's throughout history. It's basically the cheapest and best roadster on the road today.

Discuss.

WarPhalange
3rd November 10, 11:05 AM
I wouldn't complain if someone gave me one.

Japuma
3rd November 10, 11:21 AM
I wouldn't complain if someone gave me one.

But only if it matched your skirt and vagina.

Neildo
3rd November 10, 11:38 AM
damnit i forgot to check the public poll button.

Spade: The Real Snake
3rd November 10, 11:49 AM
I voted teh Ghey, cuz uR ghey

Adouglasmhor
3rd November 10, 11:50 AM
Girls and shortarses really.

Neildo
3rd November 10, 11:57 AM
i guess i'm mx5curious then. every now and then i see a cheap older model and i know there are some nice aftermarket mods you can do to make it even better. i knew a guy who drove his girlfriends all the time because he secretly loved it. it handles great and i like the driving position. i have long legs and the footwell actually contains them.

i'd actually much rather have an s2000 but i can't even find a used one for cheap, for some odd reason they have excellent resale value. and i don't fit as well. tiny 2-seaters only have so much room for the seat to adjust.

Adouglasmhor
3rd November 10, 12:03 PM
I do like the s2000 though, I have regular leg length but a long body so it may be to to with my body shape.

3rd November 10, 12:07 PM
i like s2000s much better, as well.

Neildo
3rd November 10, 12:11 PM
i saw a third-hand 2001 s2000 which isn't even a good one and they wanted 17 grand for it. i've seen old 95 mx-5s that work great for $1500. they have problems but they're fixable. mx-5s generally have good resale too and i've seen old ones in good condition go for 5, 6, even 7 grand but if it's pretty trashed you can get it cheap. i'd be replacing the seats and stripping out most of the interior and doing a ton of engine work anyway so it doesn't matter if it's broken.

3rd November 10, 12:18 PM
a 2001 s2000 should run you about half of that, it should run you no more than 10K

Neildo
3rd November 10, 12:22 PM
yeah that $17grand fucker was being way optimistic. it did have low mileage though.

3rd November 10, 12:27 PM
$7K premium for low-mileage? real optimistic.

Robstafarian
4th November 10, 02:00 AM
I don't think the Miata is exclusively for any group, but I voted "Dudes" because it's one of the last rear wheel drive cars available in this country—with a proper manual transmission—for less than $30,000. Real men appreciate such things.

Ajamil
4th November 10, 03:59 AM
I used to like Miatas until I grew taller than 5 feet.

Nasreal
5th November 10, 12:12 AM
I used to like Miatas until I grew taller than 5 feet.
At least it's not this: http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh225/Nasreal/lotuselise.jpg
I'm 5'5" and these pieces of shit come up to my waist. Barely.

5th November 10, 07:54 AM
:pats Nassy on head:

Phrost
5th November 10, 10:46 AM
If you set it up for autocross and install a roll bar, I don't see how it could be a "chick" car.

But you should just get a Solstice or Sky instead.

Neildo
5th November 10, 11:25 AM
actually the saturn sky and the solstice are the same car with different badges. they're based on the Vauxhall VX220/Opel Speedster which is a decent little 2-seater (co-developed by lotus). i'm not in the market for a brand new car though, i want a very used beat up cheap POS i can tinker with. another consideration i have for cheap old japanese 2-seater is an old RX-7, the tiny ones that look like datsun 240's. wicked little car.

Nasreal
5th November 10, 09:24 PM
I wish i knew enough about cars to "tinker"...lol

resolve
8th November 10, 01:48 AM
I wish I knew enough about cars to understand what is being said in most of this forum. I get the terminology and how the basics of the car works (engine -> transmission -> wheel power), I know how to check my oil and fluids, and I know a little about how things like rack and pinion steering work... but what individual little components do, all the different numbers, or what all these different parts do I know jack squat.

Neildo
8th November 10, 03:11 AM
i don't know a lot but i know enough to change things that i can determine are broken. wires, hoses, belts, seals, etc. the thing that keeps me away from the rx-7, because i have come across several of the ones i like for dirt cheap, is that it's powered by a wenkel rotary. i don't understand how those things work at all. also, electronic fuel injection is something i would have to call a friend for.

Japuma
8th November 10, 11:42 PM
I took a part one of my first cars and put it back together with a Chilton's manual, thats the best way to learn.

Japuma
8th November 10, 11:44 PM
Oh and avoid internet forums with people who say they know how to "hook up a car"