PDA

View Full Version : NHL Season 2010/2011

Pages : [1] 2

OZZ
30th September 10, 03:05 PM
The season doesn't start for another week but I am anxious and since I put up the NFL thread I might as well start this one too..
Never been much for Pre Season..Flyers played a game here in London against the Leafs and lost in an 11 round shootout. Actually, Philly plays a Pre season game here every year because Comcast own the JLC..I went to the first three or four, but haven't been the last two seasons. Feels like a rip off to pay to see mostly minor leaguers and I'd rather save my money to go to regular season tilt somewhere.
The press up here cannot stop yakking about Toronto's 1st round pick from two years ago - Nazeem Kadri. He is from London so I am partial to him, but wasn't too impressed with his comments the other day.
He has not had a very strong camp overall, despite playing well in his last game..and he has taken a beating in the press and been publicly admonished by both Ron Wilson and Brian Burke. I beleive this is because during an interview this training camp he was quoted as stating that he was "looking forward to buying his first Ferrari" before he had even earned a spot. This rubbed a lot of people the wrong way and now he might even start the season with the Marlies.
The attitudes of these youngsters is something else sometimes..
Anyhow, I know it will take while to get this thread going..but hey, Hockey is back !!
GO FLYERS !!

Japuma
30th September 10, 03:30 PM
HOCKEY!!!!!

LETS GO CAPS!!!!!!!

Now this thread will be ruled over by the same 4 posters as last year.

And I haven't seen any of the pre-season as CSN won't broadcast it for whatever reason. But from what I've heard the Caps are having a hard time deciding who to send down, sounds like a good problem to have to me. This year is going to depend on the development of Varly and if he can take over from the good year Theodor had last year.

Sartori
30th September 10, 04:06 PM
Let's Go Pens!
...That said, I think the Sharks will take the cup this year

Feryk
30th September 10, 06:08 PM
Not last place! Not last Place!

This is the cheer in the Northlands Coliseum (home of the Edmonton Oilers).

It will be exciting watching Hall, Eberle, and Piarvi. Other than that, meh.

OZZ
30th September 10, 07:04 PM
Oh, yeah I forgot to mention..Philly is already having trouble in goal as Leighton ,who has for some strange reason ($$) has been tagged as the starter this season, is already on the shelf at least a month with a bulging disc in his back.
What would NHL hockey be without goaltending issues in Philadelphia?
Ian Laperierre is also out with Post-Concussion Syndrome from that slapshot he took in the face during the playoffs last season. The guy's mug already looks like a worn catcher's mitt..after 12 seasons or so of blocking shots and playing the corners... I think he is finished. He will be missed.

OZZ
30th September 10, 07:54 PM
This one's for you Feryk..
I think someone will pick Souray up on Re Entry..he still has something left in the tank but obviously it wasn't working out in Edmonton...

EDMONTON -- The Edmonton Oilers have placed defenceman Sheldon Souray and goaltender Martin Gerber on waivers.

The other 29 NHL teams have until noon ET on Friday to put in a claim for either player.

If that doesn't happen, the Oilers have the option to send the veterans to AHL Oklahoma City. They could also subject them to re-entry waivers, where any team putting in a claim would only be on the hook for half of the salary -- with Edmonton paying the rest.

That might be the most logical option for Souray, who has two years remaining on his contract at US$5.4 million each.

The 34-year-old has long been awaiting a trade after things went sour between him and the organization. Souray wasn't invited to training camp and has been working out on his own while the Oilers try to find somewhere else for him to play.

Gerber is on a one-year deal that he signed over the summer. It's a two-way contract that sees him earn $500,000 in the NHL or $200,000 in the AHL.

He spent last season in the Russian-based KHL and was unable to win a spot with the NHL team. Nikolai Khabibulin, Jeff Deslauriers and Devan Dubnyk are still in camp with the Oilers.

Also Thursday, the Oilers assigned forward Colin McDonald and defencemen Taylor Chorney, Jeff Petry and Alex Plante to the AHL.

Feryk
1st October 10, 10:08 AM
Thanks OZZ.

Word around town is that Souray wants to play for Edmonton until they get him traded...but Tambelini wants him to sit. I'm guessing he doesn't need Souray out with a shoulder problem -- again. Plus, he's pissed, so he'll be a cancer in the locker room.

IF the young guns we have go on a tear, I could see Souray changing his tune, and want to stay. Part of the reason he wanted to leave is that he saw this club self destruct and everyone figured it was at least three years before they could be competitive.

Souray wants to win now. He doesn't have many good years left, and he's broken.

Having said that, if he wanted to play for us, I'd have him back in a heartbeat. He's aggressive, has a hell of a shot, and covers the back end brilliantly.

lant3rn
1st October 10, 03:56 PM
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_dVh4Kh6yfuc/S8h4b22fN3I/AAAAAAAAAkg/dYAFCnUepnc/s1600/habs.gif

Feryk
1st October 10, 06:40 PM
Uh....Chill out?

OZZ
2nd October 10, 01:29 PM
So here's what is going on in Quebec City today..right before the Exhibition game tonight at the ancient Le Colisee..
They don't have the corporate support they need to get an arena built, so they are trying to put pressure on the various levels of Government to pay for the arena.
Typical Francophone BS..gimme,gimme, MY CULTURE IS DISTINCT, gimme, gimme..
I would love to see the Nordiques rturn, but they should have to fund it the way everyone else does.
QUEBEC -- Quebec City is a sea of Nordiques blue today.

Tens of thousands of people are taking part in what's being dubbed the "Blue March."

They're pushing for the return of NHL hockey 15 years after the city's beloved Nordiques left town.

The Stastny brothers -- the three Slovak stars who captured the city's hearts in the early '80s -- are there.

Peter Stastny says Quebec City is a paradise for hockey and that a new team there would be a roaring success.

Several members of the federal Conservative caucus are also participating.

Those Tories are in a delicate spot: they're squeezed between local constituents demanding the government fund an arena, while outside Quebec there have been some angry complaints about the idea.

Today's events will end with an NHL exhibition game involving the Nordiques' most bitter rival -- the Montreal Canadiens -- and the New York Islanders.

Feryk
4th October 10, 11:06 AM
Perhaps a wayward Billionaire (Jim Balsile?) might consider that a project worth backing.

He can move the team to Hamilton if QC doesn't deliver the season's ticket sales.

lant3rn
4th October 10, 01:00 PM
Uh....Chill out?

Why?

The thread got a million times better when that picture was included.

Lol at quebecois hyprocrisy.

they benefit the most from federal services and constantly use the threat of seperation to extort the money.

It could be considered treason yet they constantly get away with it.

Feryk
4th October 10, 03:38 PM
Why?

The thread got a million times better when that picture was included.

Lol at quebecois hyprocrisy.

they benefit the most from federal services and constantly use the threat of seperation to extort the money.

It could be considered treason yet they constantly get away with it.

Sorry, thought you were a die hard Habs fan. It was quoting Kerry Price's comments after his bad game in Montreal when the fans boo'd the hell out of them. Meant it as a joke.

OZZ
4th October 10, 04:01 PM
Sorry, thought you were a die hard Habs fan. It was quoting Kerry Price's comments after his bad game in Montreal when the fans boo'd the hell out of them. Meant it as a joke.

Yeah, he missed it Feryk...
Poor Price..I hope , for his sake, he has a good start to the season.

Feryk
4th October 10, 04:50 PM
Nothing like starting a series with the crosshairs squarely on your helmet. :)

Gotta love Montreal.

OZZ
4th October 10, 08:49 PM
Hey guys, my wifey wanted to do something special for my birthday this year so she is taking me on a weekend trip to Philadelphia to watch the Flyers and the Leafs on the 23rd of October!!
Great seats too..6 rows from the ice section 103!
I've seen the Flyers before but this will be my first trip to the city. There is also a really renowned art deco gallery my wife wants to go to as well..
I knew she was planning something. What a sweetheart.:lovey: .too bad she is a Leafs fan.
This is going to be awesome!
I wanna jog up the steps that Rocky did.

Japuma
4th October 10, 08:51 PM
Your wife needs to have a convo with mine...

OZZ
4th October 10, 08:59 PM
Your wife needs to have a convo with mine...

Angelika is actually quite scared of American Cities..she watches too much America's Most Wanted.
She says she feels safe as long as she is with me though, so she'll be alright.

Japuma
6th October 10, 08:55 PM
I'm just trying to convince her I need winter classic tickets, but she keeps going on about the mortgage and savings or something...

Feryk
7th October 10, 10:33 AM
You will love the Winter Classic. I was at the very first one.

OZZ
7th October 10, 08:56 PM
Woo HOOO !! That Borobobsky kid just became the youngest goalie in NHL history to win a season opener ! We beat the Pens in their own barn and spoiled the party at the new arena !!
Ha Ha !!
Apparently he played a great game. I don't want to get ahead of myself, but if this rookie turns out to be really good..look out because Philly will be even more of a force in the East ... Leighton can ride the bench.
I also just bought my tickets for the trip ..6 rows from the ice, section 103 - Cost me $233.90 with service charges and tax.
For seats that good at the Air Canada Centre to watch the shitty Leafs and stay close to home I would pay at least DOUBLE that. The Toronto Maple Leafs organization treats their fans like crap and they just keep on spending their dough. People wonder how the hell I ended up and remained a Flyers fan living and growing up in SW Ontario..well, that is one of the reasons right there. The Leafs organization doesn't give a damn about their fans ..and they have the highest ticket prices in the entire league.
Funnily enough, I am going to be watching the Leafs in this game I am going to! But I did that for my wife, because she is a Leaf fan. I would rather have seen Philly against Boston or the Rangers..but I want her to have fun too.

ICY
7th October 10, 10:42 PM
I'm boycotting the canadiens for trading Halak so I don't even know who to cheer for this year...in other news I had a dream last night that I went to an old timers game and met Ron Hextall...weird lol.

OZZ
9th October 10, 11:56 AM
I had a weird dream with Hextall in it years ago too..
All the experts seem to be picking the Wings to win the cup this year. Is that franchise EVER going to have to rebuild?

Japuma
9th October 10, 09:17 PM
OK, thats how the Caps should be playing.

OZZ
13th October 10, 12:22 PM
This is the third strike against this guy..he's a dirty player. He is the same one who clocked Seabrook last year and left him out on his feet against the boards..

He should get more than 2 games if they are going to give that guy from the Isles 2 games for making an obscene gesture...

The National Hockey League has suspended Chicago Blackhawks defenceman Niklas Hjalmarsson two games for his hit from behind on Buffalo Sabres winger Jason Pominville during the Blackhawks 4-3 win on Monday.

The incident occurred with 5:42 left in the first period. Pominville sustained a concussion and a gash above his eye that required 7-8 stitches. He was diagnosed in the building without going to a hospital.

Hjalmarsson was given a five-minute major for boarding and a game misconduct on the play.

OZZ
13th October 10, 02:20 PM
Hopefully, now this guy will get a long, hard sentence..the fact that he was actually working in Hockey over in Europe as recently as two years a go is very frightening.

Police to issue new warrant for Graham James

Wed Oct 13, 7:55 AM

By The Canadian Press

WINNIPEG - A Canada-wide warrant for convicted sex offender Graham James will be issued Wednesday based on allegations from multiple accusers, The Canadian Press has learned.

Police in Winnipeg will lay new charges against the former junior hockey coach, who previously pleaded guilty to hundreds of incidents of sexual assault involving two teenaged hockey players under his influence.

A tell-all autobiography published last year by former NHL star Theoren Fleury contains new allegations against James, who coached Fleury and fellow NHLer Sheldon Kennedy as young teens in Saskatchewan.

Kennedy and another unnamed individual went to police in 1996, resulting in James' guilty plea, but Fleury's allegations have not resulted in charges until now.

Fleury said late Tuesday he was relieved to learn an arrest warrant will be issued for his former coach.

”I’m grateful to the Winnipeg Police for responding to my complaint,” said a statement posted on Fleury’s website.

”I know it took a while, but these things have to be done right.”

Police notified people involved in the case against James that the new warrant would be issued, but a Winnipeg Police Services spokesman refused to comment publicly Tuesday.

"When they (police) did my investigation they said there were probably 75 to 100 victims out there — which I believe to be true," Kennedy said in an interview Tuesday night.

"To me, abuse kills. You can't take what Graham did lightly."

Kennedy, who started a foundation to help abused kids after he first went public and still works in the field doing workplace and school education programs, said he's seen the widespread affect.

"You look at the shame and guilt on people's faces, it's affected a lot of people, a lot of damage done."

Fleury also expressed concern on his website for others who came forward to file complaints.

"I just hope the other guys who stepped up will be surrounded with love and support from their friends and family like I was,” he said.

“I want them to know they are not alone."

Fleury also said he would continue to co-operate with authorities.

James, 58, has since been pardoned of those earlier convictions and is believed to be living in Guadalajara, Mexico.

James was sentenced to three and half years in prison in 1997 and later was revealed by The Canadian Press to have received a pardon from the National Parole Board. The news of James' pardon prompted the federal government last spring to tighten the laws governing pardons.

It has since been discovered that James is living and working in Mexico.

He told reporters who tracked him there in May that he is not in hiding and has a Winnipeg lawyer to deal with any further allegations of sexual misconduct.

The lawyer, Evan Roitenberg, was reached by The Canadian Press late Tuesday and asked if he any comment on the impending warrant. "I don't," Roitenberg said.

Fleury's autobiography, "Playing With Fire," alleges James began molesting him when he was 14 years old. But James' assaults on teenaged underlings weren't publicly outed until a decade later, when Kennedy and another unnamed individual went to police.

By then, James was coach, GM and part owner of the Calgary Hitmen of the Western Hockey League.

The scandal rocked Canadian hockey from its peewee rinks to the NHL. James was banned for life from coaching by the Canadian Hockey Association but subsequently turned up coaching in Spain from 2001 to 2003.

He received his pardon in 2007.

OZZ
18th October 10, 09:53 AM
You will love the Winter Classic. I was at the very first one.

Read an article the other day in The Hockey News ..apparently the OHL is getting rid of the annual All-Star Game and thinking of replacing it with an outdoor game.
Michigan State had a huge turnout for theirs, so there is no reason to think an outdoor game at the OHL level wouldn't be a great draw.

On another note, the damn Leafs have not lost yet and I will be in Philly this Saturday..I hope they start losing again soon.
Actually, Toronto looks a lot better this year..speedy, upbeat on the bench. I think there has been a significant culture change in the dressing room and its bearing fruit.
But I wouldn't start planning the parade quite yet..

Feryk
18th October 10, 11:42 AM
Quick starts usually fizzle. The Leafs will live down to expectations very soon.

OZZ
23rd October 10, 10:43 AM
I did the same thing years ago but mine went to a group called 'Wigs For Kids'..Good on you, Scottie!!

The Philadelphia Flyers will have a slightly different look tonight when they face the Toronto Maple Leafs as forward Scott Hartnell has cut off almost all of his infamous hair.

The haircut is all for a good cause as Hartnell will donate his shorn locks to the charity organization ‘Locks for Love' who are a public non-profit organization that provides hairpieces to financially disadvantaged children in the United States and Canada under age 21 suffering from long-term medical hair loss from any diagnosis.

According to Hartnell it is his first hair cut in over three years.

In an interview with FlyersTV.com, Hartnell joked about the equipment used.

"Some hedge clippers, some weed whackers and a shovel to pick it all up afterwards," Hartnell told FlyersTV.

Hartnell's hair has been so popular that it has it's own Facebook page and inspired the team to launch a Hartnell wig give-away campaign two seasons ago.

Hartnell has one goal and one assist in six games this season.

OZZ
24th October 10, 08:37 AM
Woo HOO I got to see the Flyers put an ass-whuppin on the lowly Leafs last night!To make it even better, Mike Richards got things going with 1G 2A ..he's my favorite Flyer and he's the one whose name and numbers I have on my Jersey.
Couldn't have been better.

KO'd N DOA
24th October 10, 11:28 AM
Uh....Chill out?

^^Awesome^^

My season last year went on so long...its hard to get back into things so soon...Ozz is ever the optimist

Feryk
25th October 10, 11:37 AM
The Oilers lost 1-6 vs. The sharks on the weekend. Wasn't a pretty third period, but it's kind of expected this year. We have a young team, and we are rebuilding. Blowouts are expected, but still hard to sit through.

OZZ
2nd November 10, 06:20 PM
Little Danny Briere can be a bit nasty ..not the first time he's done something like this. He has a bit of a dirty side to him when he gets pissed off. He also speared Ovechkin a few years back when he was with Buffalo in retaliation for a hit from behind in a previous game.
Overall - a 3-game suspension will ultimately cost the speedy little Flyer almost $250,000.00.
Oh well...GO FLYERS !!

BRIERE HANDED 3 GAMES

Flyers forward Daniel Briere has been handed a three-game suspension for cross-checking Frans Nielsen during a game against the Islanders on Saturday night.

The league assessed the ban on Monday morning after a conference call hearing with Briere.

"I'm shocked," he said Monday night. "I think surprised is not strong enough. After all the suspensions that have been handed out the last couple of years and this year, I didn't think I was going to get a game. Then I thought, 'OK yes, I am a repeat offender, they'll probably give me a game because of it.' I'm shocked that it was more than a game."

With one minute left to play and the Flyers leading 6-1, Briere cross-checked Nielsen after taking a face-off deep in the New York zone. Islanders goaltender Rick DiPietro went after Briere as the Flyers centre skated by the net before Daniel Carcillo stepped in to defend Briere.

"After what he said on the faceoff, all I was thinking was I got to protect myself after what happened to [Andrej] Meszaros (and) what happened with Trevor Gilles on [Braydon] Coburn. I said, 'I got to protect myself', and if you see the faceoff before, he gets me in a headlock and punches me behind the head.

"What I'm disappointed in is the fact they tried to spin it as a cross-check to the head," Briere continued. "If you look at the replay, it's clearly not a crosscheck. A crosscheck is two hands moving forward. It's a push with one hand. The mistake I made was that my stick was up there. Is it worth three games for that? I don't think so. On top of it, I missed him, I didn't even get him."

Saturday's contest was a nasty affair, the two teams combined for 120 penalty minutes, with 73 of those going to the Islanders.

This is the third suspension of Briere's career. He was assessed a two-game ban in Nov. 2009 for an illegal hit, and two games in Mar. 2006 for a high-sticking incident.

OZZ
2nd November 10, 06:27 PM
Heh, is this the tip of the iceberg that Feryk was talking about when Phaneuf was traded to Toronto?
I recall our Albertan bro predicting that the wheels would fall off the Phaneuf train in about a season and a half.
Looks like things are right on schedule.lol

BRIAN BURKE DEFENDS CAPTAIN PHANEUF

Brian Burke is a fervent believer that when fans purchase a ticket to a sporting event, those fans are entitled to boo or cheer or express themselves in any way they see fit, so long as it's not vulgar or racist.

That said, the Toronto Maple Leafs general manager is also a big believer in freedom of speech and he said it is "disgraceful" that some fans at the Air Canada Centre on Saturday night booed Leafs' captain Dion Phaneuf.

"Are they entitled to do it?" Burke said, "Sure, they are. And I honestly don't believe it was a lot of them. It doesn't take many fans booing to be heard so I think we're talking about a very small number, but my opinion is that it's disgraceful to boo Dion Phaneuf for everything he has done for this franchise, on and off the ice, in a very short period of time."

Burke said the biggest difference between this year's 5-4-1 team and last year's team that started the season 0-7-1 is "cultural" and the most significant factor in that "culture change" has been Phaneuf.

"I don't think some of our fans realize the extent of what Dion has done for this organization, on and off the ice," Burke said. "Off the ice, he's done tremendous charity work and more than any other individual has gone out of his way to change the attitude in our dressing room with our players. On the ice, we're extremely happy with his play. Sure, he could have some more points but we are not scoring as a team right now and Dion's point totals reflect that. The bottom line is that Dion has wrought a considerable culture change with our team and he's done it almost singlehandedly. His leadership has been outstanding in every way. Outstanding. So, yeah, when I hear some of our fans boo him, it bothers me. I think it's disgraceful."

Burke said he's generally pleased with how the Leafs are playing, even though they've lost back to back games after a strong start to the season. He's well aware that the Leafs' appear to have reverted to a pop-gun offence but believes that's a temporary situation and if it does turn out to be a longer-term issue, then he'll do something about it.

"There are no panic buttons being pushed here," Burke said. "We really like the way the team is playing. Our goaltending has been good, we're happy with our team defence and while we haven't scored as much as we would like, guys are getting chances and some of those have to start going in. If they don't, we will look to do something but I'm not going to blow the cap space we have available to us just 10 games in to force something that isn't there right now. I'm not going to make a move for a veteran free agent because we think we have younger players here who can get the job done. Let's give this some time to see where we're at. I know we have players who can give us more (offensively) than we've seen so far. So let's give them a chance to prove it. If we need to make a big move, and we've got enough cap space to make one big move, we'll do it, but for now, I'm preaching patience."

Feryk
3rd November 10, 12:05 PM
This is early, yet. Wait for Dion to tell a hobo to get a job, or throw change at a hooker.

It's coming. And when the Leaf's fans turn on a player, they do it well.

He'll ask to be traded next year. Just my opinion, but he'll be looking to get out of Dodge.

Nasreal
5th November 10, 12:19 AM
I was honestly fucking thrilled to see Briere crack that asshole upside the head. The Flyers are supposed to be the team you do not fuck with. That used to be the persona anyways, I'd like to see it come back. I still remember watching my first Flyers games when I was younger watching Sandy McCarthy beat the shit out of anyone who looked at him funny. Then we had Donny Brashier. Good for Briere I say.

OZZ
6th November 10, 12:10 PM
I was honestly fucking thrilled to see Briere crack that asshole upside the head. The Flyers are supposed to be the team you do not fuck with. That used to be the persona anyways, I'd like to see it come back. I still remember watching my first Flyers games when I was younger watching Sandy McCarthy beat the shit out of anyone who looked at him funny. Then we had Donny Brashier. Good for Briere I say.

Well, yes and No. I am a Flyers fan and have been since '78..but the stickwork is not something I am a fan of (I know he actually missed, but he intended to ).Its true that smaller guys don't have a choice sometimes, and it gives them some room on the ice if people know they will get a cross check in the mouth when they push too many buttons. Bobby Clarke did it for years..and people knew what would happen if they tried bullying him, not to mention dealing with the rest of the team..
The game is different now, and there is more of an emphasis on safety and while I love hard-hitting hockey and a good scrap that shifts the mometum of a game - I don't want to see anyone lose their eye.
In this particular case, Briere has claimed he was worried about getting jumped - and Nielsen had outright told him before the faceoff he was going to get him as soon as the puck hit the ice, so Danny decided the best defense was a good offense.It really wasn't neccessary though because Carcillo was on the ice and he was going to protect him. In fact, when you watch the vid, you can see Carcillo is in complete shock at what Briere did because he was on his way over anyways..
The whole thing was kind of stupid.

Japuma
6th November 10, 04:23 PM
I hope DJ King dresses for the game tomorrow night, lol

Nasreal
6th November 10, 07:01 PM
I agree that it was a little excessive, he maybe should have gone for a little different technique, but I can see where he was coming from. I mean, I wouldn't want to let Carcillo fight my battles for me, if I were him. It's like you were saying about Clarke. The other boys would jump in, but he could fucking take care of himself.

OZZ
7th November 10, 05:10 PM
Yeah, well its all over now...Briere is back from suspension tonight and Philly is on a roll with 6 wins in a row. These points will be big when spring rolls around. Now they just have to try and keep Ovechkin and co. in check.

Nasreal
7th November 10, 08:29 PM
:( This new goalie can really stand on his head, but two fucking moronic penalties within the final minutes of the game, we don't need that shit.

Japuma
7th November 10, 10:10 PM
SEMIN IS ON FIRE!!!!

Nasreal
8th November 10, 12:22 AM
You should get that checked out..

OZZ
13th November 10, 12:47 AM
Its not NHL news, but its Hockey news so I thought I would post it up.

Quebec gets go-ahead for separate hockey team

By Peter Rakobowchuk, The Canadian Press

MONTREAL - Quebec independantistes call it the culmination of a longstanding dream: the creation of a separate hockey team.

Quebec has been given the go-ahead to assemble its own team for an international tournament where it will host at least three countries' national squads.

Hockey Canada has authorized the creation of Team Quebec to host France, Italy and Switzerland in the proposed Quebec Cup next August in the provincial capital.

The plan is to have NHLers suit up for a separate Quebec squad — a move that Quebec nationalists have, over the years and again Friday, cited as a long-cherished goal.

In some Quebec media circles, the move was being cast Friday as a historic breakthrough after a 30-year struggle to field an independent Quebecois squad.

But an organizer says there's no attempt to make a statement about Quebec independence.

"We don't do politics — we do sports," said Hockey Quebec director-general Sylvain Lalonde.

He said the team will seek to recruit NHLers first, then players from other leagues in North America and Europe — as long as they're from Quebec.

"We (want) the best team in Quebec to represent us at this first tournament in Quebec City," he said.

Lalonde says no teams or players have been confirmed yet. But he's hoping for a good turnout by NHL players in August because it's still a couple of weeks before their training camp.

Members of the Parti Quebecois were delighted by the announcement.

"When we talk about Team Quebec, it's like talking about a dream," PQ opposition critic Etienne-Alexis Boucher said in a statement.

Another Pequiste called it a great idea.

Ottawa, which has already agreed to grant Quebec a distinct seat at the Francophonie and at the UN's cultural organization, has also recognized the Quebecois as a nation, he noted.

"Why not? Why not?" said the PQ's Bernard Drainville, when asked about the tournament.

"Scotland is not a sovereign country and they have the right, they have their own national teams on the soccer scene. . .

"You know, the federal Parliament recognized Quebec as a nation. Having Quebec forming its own hockey team would be a great, concrete and tangible way to give significance (to that)."

Hockey Canada, which sanctioned the event, downplayed the significance of the move.

It points out that provincial and regional teams regularly square off against the national teams of other countries.

Hockey Canada chief operating officer Scott Smith says the provincial organization had to accept two conditions.

First, any player taking part must be registered with the Quebec hockey federation. Also, any communications with any international hockey federations must go through Hockey Canada.

"This is a team representing one of our provinces ," he said. "We just have to make sure that any of those (players) are registered with the provincial federation in Quebec."

Smith would not comment when asked if he's worried the tournament might become a political hot potato.

"My preference is to comment on the hockey side of it," he said.

Others see great significance in the move.

Sports columnist Rejean Tremblay of Montreal La Presse says people in Quebec have wondered for decades how their own would fare against the best in the world.

He suggested a number of possible players, like Vincent Lecavalier and Martin Brodeur, and potential coaches like Guy Carbonneau or Patrick Roy. He mentioned Maxim Lapierre, a Montreal Canadiens third- and fourth-liner, but omitted to mention Olympic starting goalie Roberto Luongo.

When contacted by The Canadian Press on Friday, Carbonneau said he liked the idea. But he did not offer any other comments.

Hockey Quebec's Lalonde said he would seek federal and provincial funding the same way figure-skating and speed-skating tournaments do.

In Ottawa, however, the Heritage department issued a one-line statement: "Sport Canada does not contribute to this hockey tournament."

Kiko
13th November 10, 08:27 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6NuT41Wu7A

OZZ
13th November 10, 02:11 PM
Epic fail..yeah, that effort is worth $6 million a year..lol

Nasreal
14th November 10, 04:48 PM
HAHAHA thanks Kiko, I lol'd at that. Fuck the devils.

Feryk
15th November 10, 11:03 AM
The end is near, Lou Amerello. Brace yourself.

OZZ
15th November 10, 07:10 PM
LMAO @ the Leafs..fucking 7 losses in a row. A month ago the parade was being planned..
NOT !!

Nasreal
15th November 10, 10:53 PM
First flyers win with 8 goals and then 5 the next game. I'm lovin this.

Feryk
16th November 10, 12:06 PM
The mighty Oil are gunning for another 1st pick overall. They've got it in the bag, no matter how fail the Devils are.

OZZ
16th November 10, 12:21 PM
First flyers win with 8 goals and then 5 the next game. I'm lovin this.

They play the Habs tonight - first meeting since eliminating their asses last spring.
I hope Philly thumps 'em good.

OZZ
16th November 10, 10:05 PM
FUCK !! Oh well, at least Powe thumped LaPierre good..

KO'd N DOA
17th November 10, 11:07 AM
Ha ha,

LaPierre will come back grinning.

Kiko
18th November 10, 11:20 AM

OZZ
18th November 10, 12:16 PM
The Montreal - Philly rematch on Monday should be good...things are heating up between these two teams again.
Even though I want them to lose to the Flyers, I am glad that Carey Price is having success in Montreal. I was sickened by the way the fans were treating him in the Pre Season, good to see him prove the critics wrong.

OZZ
20th November 10, 07:16 PM
This guy was integral to making hockey worth watching in Toronto for a good few years. He was great coach and I am glad he is no longer suffering..

MONTREAL -- Pat Burns' death after a long battle with cancer stirred memories Saturday for those who played for the gruff former NHL coach.

For Scott Gomez, it also included a few laughs.

Gomez and Burns won a Stanley Cup with the New Jersey Devils in 2003, but early in the season he got a taste of his coach's no-nonsense approach to hockey.

"I got kicked out of a game and we were on the power play," recalled Gomez, now a member of the Montreal Canadiens. "He was (a new coach) to us.

"We lost the game and he came in the room and started saying 'Whah, whah, whah' for about two minutes. We went to Atlanta the next day and we were at a resort. One of the trainers heard the story and asked what had happened with the whah, whah and I said 'Watch out, it carries over water.'

"The next moment my phone rang and it was Pat and he said 'You're the last guy who should be whah-ing me.' Welcome to Pat Burns' world."

Burns, 58, died Friday in a palliative care home in Sherbrooke, Que., when he succumbed to his third bout with cancer since the illness forced him to step down as the Devils coach in 2004. Funeral arrangements have yet to be announced but it is expected to be held in Montreal within the next two weeks.

Burns won 501 regular-season games with Montreal, Toronto, Boston and New Jersey and it was perhaps fitting that the day after his death would include a game at the Bell Centre between his first two NHL clubs, the Canadiens and the Maple Leafs.

Among the Canadiens, Gomez and Brian Gionta played for Burns in New Jersey, while defenceman Hal Gill had him in Boston. It was on Burns' suggestion that assistant coach Kirk Muller, then a New Jersey centre, was acquired by Montreal in a trade.

"He's not suffering any more, but the hockey world lost a great, character guy," said Gomez. "There were a lot of memories last night, a lot of laughs.

"He wouldn't want you to sit around being sad about him. He was a tough hombre."

Muller said Burns, a Montreal native, was so tough that players were surprised later to find out he had a human side -- that he liked to play country music on his guitar and was a Harley Davidson motorcycle enthusiast.

He showed it when he went to bail out former Canadiens Mike Keane and Brian Skrudland one night when they got into a much-publicized bar brawl in Winnipeg during a road trip.

"It's a great story because, hard as he was, who was the first person you call when you need someone?" said Muller. "Coach or not, he was a friend. I think that's why guys loved playing for him. It's a sad day because he was such a great person."

Not a man to be taken lightly, however.

"Russ Courtnall might have a good one," added Muller. "We all know Pat's an ex-cop.

"There was an incident in Chicago one time when Rusty challenged him and Burnsy was not dropping it. I don't know if it would have gone to fisticuffs or not, but Pat was standing his ground and Russ said 'OK, wrong guy.' And the rest of us said 'OK, that's all we need to know.' He was tough with us, but he was fair."

"He was tough for a reason," said Gionta, now the Canadiens' captain. "He was calculated in what he did.

"He didn't just do it to rag on you. And for the amount of times he was on you, he was also there to give you a pat on the back when you needed it."

Gill, a gangly young defenceman in Boston when Burns was his coach, appreciated his honest assessment of his play.

"He took a big chance on me," said Gil. "I owe a lot to him that way.

"He was hard. He was a dead-straight, honest guy. He was a man's man and a honest man and a great coach because of that."

KO'd N DOA
20th November 10, 07:54 PM
Pat went out like the pro he was. Rarely do people get to see how much people love them when they are alive...Pat got arena's named after him and lived to see it.

Class act.

OZZ
25th November 10, 02:43 PM
Just want to point out that the Flyers are PRETTY FUCKING AWESOME RIGHT NOW ! 1st overall baby, WOOOOOO!
The Pens and the Caps aren't looking too scary..if anyone concerns me its teams in the West, Detroit, St.Louis..the only team in the East that is a bit worrisome is Montreal when Price is at the top of his game. Buffalo is nothing without Ryan Miller.
The East is Philly's for the taking if they can keep up this kind of play. They are rolling 4 lines and getting scoring from everywhere. Even VanRiemsdyk finally broke his slump.
Its still early, but I like what I see.

Feryk
26th November 10, 10:14 AM
Hell, the Oilers actually won last night. Hall scored with 28 seconds left to give the Oil a victory over the Avs.

We still suck, but that goal was sweet. I'm starting to see why he was 1st overall in the draft.

OZZ
26th November 10, 03:01 PM
Feryk, I would rather be in the Oilers place right now than the Flames. At least your team has a bright future to look forward to..the Flames need a complete overhaul and have tons of money tied up in shitty salaries.
The Sutters may be Alberta's equivalent of the Royal Family, but they have to go.

Japuma
30th November 10, 02:45 PM
Capitals get Hannan from Avs for Fleischmann! WOO! An experienced shutdown d-man for an under-performing center/winger with almost no cap hit. Great trade for the Caps.

Feryk
30th November 10, 03:34 PM
Feryk, I would rather be in the Oilers place right now than the Flames. At least your team has a bright future to look forward to..the Flames need a complete overhaul and have tons of money tied up in shitty salaries.
The Sutters may be Alberta's equivalent of the Royal Family, but they have to go.

Recall that I am an Edmonton fan. I'm quite happy with the Sutter's reign in Cowtown. Doesn't bother me a bit.

OZZ
30th November 10, 08:43 PM
I think my faith in humanity is permanently destroyed..
Just when you think people can't sink any lower. Fucking poppy-box thieves..now this.

By The Canadian Press, thecanadianpress.com, Updated: November 30, 2010 12:51 PM
Cruel crime committed at Pat Burns funeral

MONTREAL - A heartbreaking crime was committed at Pat Burns' funeral.

While the hockey world gathered yesterday to mourn the death of the old coach, someone was smashing into his widow's car.

Montreal police say someone broke into the car belonging to his wife, Line, and stole a number of the Burns family's valuable possessions.

The stolen items included 30 autographed hockey jerseys, jewelry, and the late coach's wallet.

Burns, an award-winning coach of the Montreal Canadiens, Toronto Maple Leafs, Boston Bruins and New Jersey Devils, died after a lengthy battle with cancer.

At his funeral yesterday, people remembered the gruff ex-cop as a tough but fair man who cared about his players and knew how to motivate them.

Burns' widow discovered the crime this morning.

Police say they will launch a public appeal to the thieves, asking them to leave the stolen items in an agreed-upon spot where they could be recovered.

OZZ
30th November 10, 08:44 PM
Capitals get Hannan from Avs for Fleischmann! WOO! An experienced shutdown d-man for an under-performing center/winger with almost no cap hit. Great trade for the Caps.

Good deal for the Caps..

Feryk
1st December 10, 12:32 PM
OZZ, I saw that on the news last night. Fucking lowest forms of life ever.

KO'd N DOA
1st December 10, 01:19 PM
That thief should be cremated.

On the way back from the Grey Cup parade just now, I must admit I was keeping my eye out for anything out of the ordinary. I've found wallets before, so I kept my eyes peeled.

Montreal is car theft and smash and grab capital. The chair of the Bank of Canada had his limo broken into when his chauffer was off to the can or something. They got top secret data from his laptop.

Anyone comming to MTL for UFC, please don't leave anything in your car.

OZZ
1st December 10, 09:00 PM
Wow, hot off the press.

First I have heard about this..the situation bears watching closely. I guess its really just an off chance of something actually happening regarding relocation and the Oilers.But money does talk, so you never know I guess..
Probably just a bargaining tactic by the ownership group.

TSN Headlines

QUEBEC -- The Edmonton Oilers met with the mayor of Quebec City on Wednesday to compare notes on arena funding but not, says the president of the NHL team, to discuss relocating the franchise.

"We're both building facilities," Oilers president Patrick LaForge told reporters after the meeting with Mayor Regis Labeaume.

"We're both trying to get them off the ground. We have a hockey team, and perhaps they don't here. But there's no reason for that to be drawn together.

"We are not planning to move the Oilers at this time.

"We're going to build a building."

Labeaume is trying to get $180 million from the federal government to help build a $400-million arena he hopes can lead to the return of the NHL to Quebec City. The Quebec government has already committed a similar amount to the project.

The Quebec Nordiques moved south and west in 1995 to become the Colorado Avalanche.

LaForge was accompanied Wednesday by Kevin Lowe, the team's president of hockey operations, and Paul Marcaccio, the chief financial officer for the Katz Group, which owns the team.

The Oilers are negotiating with the City of Edmonton to co-fund a $450-million downtown rink to replace aging Rexall Place. The Oilers say the rink is too small and their lease deal is unsatisfactory.

Team owner Daryl Katz has bought the land and drawn up plans for a new arena complex as part of a $1-billion conglomeration of hotels, shops, restaurants and student complexes.

He has promised to put $200 million toward the rink and the surrounding complexes, but wants the city to pay the rest, with the Oilers keeping all revenues that accrue from the new arena.

City councillors are still mulling the issue and have been running public forums to gauge the public mood.

Edmonton Mayor Stephen Mandel said he doesn't see the Quebec meeting as a gambit to put pressure on his city to pony up the cash.

"I don't think anything (untoward is going on)," Mandel told reporters. "We have heard nothing that would lead us to believe anything different. The Oilers are a big part of Edmonton."

This is the second time the Oilers have talked hockey with politicians in other cities, a move that always sets off alarms on blogsites and message boards in the Alberta capital. Residents are rabid fans, routinely selling out Rexall Place despite the fact that the Oilers ice one of the worst teams in the NHL.

The last such out-of-town meet was in June, when Katz Group officials struck a deal to run Copps Coliseum in Hamilton, another city desperate for an NHL team.

LaForge said at that time that the Copps deal was part of the Katz Group's longer-term plan to get more involved in the sports-entertainment business and was not to make Hamilton the new home for the Oilers.

Katz, however, has said time is of the essence because he wants the new rink in place as soon as the lease deal at Rexall expires in 2014.

He says the Oilers are running millions of dollars in the red every year and that a new 18,000-seat facility is critical to keeping the team financially afloat.

The curly-haired 48-year-old pharmacy billionaire has been beating the drum for a new rink since he bought the Oilers two years ago.

He can't expect direct aid from the province. Alberta Premier Ed Stelmach has said he doesn't support public money going toward sports stadiums for privately owned teams.

In Quebec, fans have been rallying around the arena issue.

NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman has said the league won't wade into the arena debate, but adds that a new arena is essential before the NHL would consider moving back.

Labeaume has set a deadline of Dec. 21 to raise the requisite money for the rink, which would also be used to help the city bid for the 2022 Winter Olympics.

Prime Minister Stephen Harper's government is hedging, given the optics of trying to slay the deficit while funding sports arenas for private teams. Money for Quebec's rink would also make it politically difficult for Harper to say no to cities like Edmonton.

OZZ
1st December 10, 09:34 PM
OH ! Did anyone see that giveaway in OT..lol, good win for the Oilers tonight in Montreal.

Edit: No, I am not trying to draw attention away from the fact the Flyers got shut out tonight.It just turned out that way..I was listening to the Flyers game but I caught the OT in the Montreal-Edmonton game on TV.
Honest.

KO'd N DOA
2nd December 10, 10:16 AM
Sorry Ozz,

I missed that game due to Grey Cup parties. Price is only going to get better.

OZZ
8th December 10, 08:27 PM
Toronto visits Philadelphia tommorrow night.. I finally get to see my team on TV.
I get so tired of watching the Leafs..TSN2 shows a better variety of teams than TSN, but its a rip off to pay for so I don't subscribe to it.Between TSN, Sportsnet and CBC I get enough Hockey games without paying in excess of $100.00 a month for a cable package.I think $65.00 a month for a cable package is enough. I can listen to the Flyers on the internet radio..in fact, I am listening to the game right now (SJ 1 - PHA -3 in 2nd Period).

Crosby has been on fire lately, jeez..so have the Oilers with 4 wins in a row. I think Chicago is going to be tested big time over the next month with both Hossa and Kane now out with injuries. They are saying 3 weeks for Kane, but I have a suspicion its worse than that and it will be at least a month.

Japuma
15th December 10, 11:42 PM
MOTHERFUCKER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Feryk
16th December 10, 12:06 PM
Well, the Oilers lost to Toronto. I'm glad to see the bid for last is still alive. On the flip side. We have a cheer team now!

Yeah, I don't care either.

OZZ
24th December 10, 07:07 PM
Looking forward to the WJHC - its time to get the Gold back !!

Merry X-Mas everyone.

KO'd N DOA
26th December 10, 07:26 PM
Looking forward to the WJHC - its time to get the Gold back !!

Merry X-Mas everyone.

PK

OZZ
27th December 10, 07:10 PM
PK

Riding the pine..mouthy little twerp.

Japuma
1st January 11, 11:00 PM
What a Winter Classic! Watching it under the lights and in primetime was awesome and the rain didn't seem to affect things too much. Plus, THE CAPS WON!!!

OZZ
3rd January 11, 01:13 PM
I wasn't as excited about the Winter Classic this year..I am more concerned about the WJHC and I also think the NHl has milked the Ovie VS Crosby/ Caps - Pens thing to death. I'm sick of it.
I am glad the weather didn't ruin it though.

Canada is going to have their hands full with the USA tonight..they have not played particularly well this year and they will have to have a great game to knock off that USA squad, they are pumped up to win two in a row and have eight players from the victorious team last year.
For once, I don't think Canada is the favorite to win,but it should be an entertaining game either way.

OZZ
3rd January 11, 10:10 PM
Nice win tonight for the Canadian Juniors. They finally stepped it up and played to their potential..
Now its on to the classic matchup - Canada VS Russia for GOLD !!

I am happy about the win, but I am almost as happy about THIS:

Text Size
PHILADELPHIA -- Most teams don't have the luxury of having two healthy, starting goaltenders in today's NHL. The Philadelphia Flyers were an exception. They actually had three.

Until Monday.

The Flyers waived goaltender Michael Leighton, general manager Paul Holmgren announced, meaning Philadelphia, tied for first place in the Atlantic Division with Pittsburgh, will go with Brian Boucher and Sergei Bobrovsky the rest of the way.

Leighton, who helped lead Philadelphia to the Stanley Cup Finals last June, underwent October back surgery and had only played in one game this season, a 7-4 win over the Kings in Los Angeles last week.

But he was a key cog last post-season, as the Flyers, despite not clinching a berth until the regular season's final day, advanced to the Stanley Cup final. Leighton and the Flyers defeated New Jersey, Boston, and Montreal before falling to Chicago. Leighton went 8-3 in the post-season, with a .916 save percentage and a 2.46 goals-against average.

His playoff run helped him to sign a two-year, US$3.1 million contract extension last summer, just before free agency began. But his herniated disk forced him to miss most of this season. In his absence, Bobrovsky, a relative unknown, began to make a name for himself. He is 15-6, while Boucher is 8-4.

"This has more to do with the way the other two guys have played," Holmgren said of his decision. "We expect them to continue playing well."

In Leighton's only start, he made 32 saves, but was shaky in the win. It was his first action, other than two rehabilitation stints in the AHL.

"There's two reasons for doing this at this time," Holmgren said. "One, it's in the best interest of the Flyers. And two, it's in the best interest of Michael. We need to get Michael playing."

If Leighton clears waivers, Holmgren said, the Flyers will send him back to the AHL on Tuesday. If a team claims him before he returns to the Adirondack Phantoms, that team would only have to pay half the price of Leighton's contract, with the Flyers picking up the rest.

"Right now, he's in a training camp mode, and needs to get up to speed to help our team," Holmgren said. "The only way he's going to do that, is if he goes down. We all expected him to be a little rusty."

Leighton could have been traded, but the list of teams that need goaltenders is short these days. The Tampa Bay Lightning were among them, but they acquired Dwayne Roloson from the New York Islanders on Saturday.

"We looked around a little bit," Holmgren said. "But there was nothing there."

The Flyers, with Boucher making 25 saves, defeated the Detroit Red Wings, 3-2, on Sunday night. They'll meet the New Jersey Devils in Newark on Thursday.

- Sorry, Leighton. No room for you ..you cost us the Cup last year with a brutal 4.25 Save % in the Final. Get out of town and stay out.

OZZ
3rd January 11, 10:13 PM
What a Winter Classic! Watching it under the lights and in primetime was awesome and the rain didn't seem to affect things too much. Plus, THE CAPS WON!!!

Hey Japuma - did you get to see it live? If so, you are a lucky man. Glad you enjoyed it, from what I have read the ice wasn't the greatest but its still a great event to be at.

KO'd N DOA
4th January 11, 09:10 AM
I Missed the winter classic, had my beer and pizza ready to go ....rain delay. Anyway my team kicked both their asses last year (with the help of magic horseshoes) and it is fun watching teams you have history cause you know names of everyone.

World Juniours - not convinced. Sweden proved that. Looking forward to the game.

KO'd N DOA
5th January 11, 09:57 PM
WTF....I am going to bed...a sleepless night

OZZ
5th January 11, 10:27 PM
What a total collapse. I am very disappointed, there is just no excuse for blowing a 3-goal lead in the third period.
Russia stormed back against the Fins and the Swedes as well..
Knocking off the Americans was too much the focus this time around and instead of staying disciplined for the entire 60 minutes of the Gold medal game, they sat back after the Russians changed their goalie and you could feel the momentum shift.
Terrible, just terrible..
Having said that, I still think that the Canada - Russia rivalry is the greatest in hockey and you have to give them credit. Those kids deserved the win. They started the tournament with an 0-2 record and ended up with Gold after completing three 3rd period comebacks in their final 3 games.
It is their first win at the WJHC since 2003.

KO'd N DOA
6th January 11, 07:59 AM
Our guys did well, Schenn was awesome (more points than Lindros or The Great One when they played) and Ellis looked solid too. Good thing the excuses given is that the Russians are all playing pro back home, except for that one in the OHL.

But losing a 3-0 lead. I cannot fathome how.

OZZ
13th January 11, 05:51 PM
Here's a funny one...

Wilson To Be Fined For Violating Money Incentive Policy

TSN Sports:
Ron Wilson's landmark 600th win against his former team may leave a bitter taste in his mouth.

According to a report in the Toronto Star, the Maple Leafs head coach posted an undisclosed amount of cash in the locker room prior to Tuesday's contest as extra incentive for his team to beat the Sharks.

The NHL has said that league rules were violated and, while it isn't viewed as a significant offence, the Leafs will be fined.

"If it is a violation, we will remedy it with the league," GM Brian Burke told the Star. "We'll take the money back, do whatever the league tells us to do. We have not heard anything from the National Hockey League."

Traditionally, players will post cash to a new teammate to score the winning goal when he meets his former team.

The Maple Leafs gave Wilson his benchmark victory by beating the Sharks 4-2, a game that featured a four-goal third-period rally.

--Not too surprising considering they were playing Wilson's old team. I find this hilarious..

Nasreal
14th January 11, 02:38 PM
I really have not been seeing many Flyers games lately, life has been very hectic. I saw some VERY nice goals the last game that I saw, and they beat Buffalo who I really don't like so much. I didn't see the loss last night, but the fly guys are playin the thrashers tonight, and I am gonna watch this one.

Feryk
17th January 11, 04:13 PM
Flyers are going for #1 overall tonight. I hope they get it, for awhile at least. Canuckleheads are a pain in the ass when their team is winning.

Nasreal
18th January 11, 12:00 AM
Flyers are going for #1 overall tonight. I hope they get it, for awhile at least. Canuckleheads are a pain in the ass when their team is winning.

Me too, because I'm a Flyers fan haha. And MACALLAN is amazing, I've had the 12 year old stuff. WIN

Feryk
18th January 11, 09:56 AM
I got a bottle of the 18 sherry oak cask for my 40th and got hooked on it. It's $200/bottle, but O M G.

Worth it.

Nasreal
18th January 11, 10:23 AM
Jesus...the 12 year old scotch is like 55 dollars a bottle i just looked it up. My boss has a bottle, and most of my co-workers are of age. Someone was mixing it with sprite. I could have killed someone. You don't mix shit like that with sprite...

Feryk
18th January 11, 10:51 AM
Please slap the shit out of them for me. That is outrageous!

Fuck, I get angry when people try to bruise it with ice or cut it with water. Philistines.

Nasreal
18th January 11, 10:55 AM
I could have choked someone out.

Feryk
18th January 11, 10:57 AM
When someone asks for Sprite, just take the drink back and say NO!

They are not qualified to drink single malt. Or watch hockey.

KO'd N DOA
18th January 11, 03:17 PM
While we on the combined topic of hockey and imbibing, what beer do you swill during your match. I often have a Rickards' Red or Honey Brown, but am worried that I am buying to to the Molsons hype.

Is bud a good choice if a Canadian beer is not possible?

Nasreal
18th January 11, 09:09 PM
I think the Flyers might be trying to fuck this up, shit. Caps just tied it up in under a minute.

Japuma
18th January 11, 09:13 PM
Ok, lets put this one away Caps!

Nasreal
18th January 11, 09:26 PM
Not yet, fucker. Looks like maybe OT.

Japuma
18th January 11, 09:29 PM
Aye... Watch out for one of the grinders putting in the winner... someone like Hendricks or Beagle.

Japuma
18th January 11, 09:31 PM
FUCK! lol

Nasreal
18th January 11, 09:31 PM
HA! SUCK IT! lol j/k . GO FLYERS!

OZZ
19th January 11, 11:21 AM
YES !! Ovechkin sucks donkey dicks..

OZZ
19th January 11, 11:25 AM
While we on the combined topic of hockey and imbibing, what beer do you swill during your match. I often have a Rickards' Red or Honey Brown, but am worried that I am buying to to the Molsons hype.

Is bud a good choice if a Canadian beer is not possible?

I usually drink BUD while watching the game..or MGD.There is actually quite a difference between American Bud and US Bud. US Bud is watery and Canadian Bud is richer tasting.The Labatt's Brewery here in London brews Bud, so I still feel like I am drinking Canadian beer when I toss it back.
Who the hell mixes Scotch with Sprite? They should be shot and pissed on, and not neccessarily in that order..

Feryk
19th January 11, 03:56 PM
Rickards is awesome, no shame in that. Failing that, Guiness.

Bud is just Bud. It's a beer, but meh.

KO'd N DOA
20th January 11, 01:10 PM
This thread is as bout as lively as the Don Cherry Bio Pick "Keep your Head up Kid"
any of you suffer through that one, my wife said "Look a hockey drama" wish Slapshot was on instead. Football movies are always so much more interesting - is it cash or subject matter.

Feryk
20th January 11, 01:25 PM
Football is a sport that lends itself to movie drama. Hockey can, but it takes more work. Partly because there aren't a million stoppages in play, partly because hockey isn't a direct metaphor for war.

With respect to the mighty Oilers, they snapped a 11 game powerplay goal drought -- in a loss. Again.

They are fun to watch, however. I really like the new kids on this team (Magnus Piarve + Hall specifically). We lost our best defencemen to ankle surgery. I am not anticipating any change in fortunes anytime soon.

OZZ
20th January 11, 01:36 PM
Yeah, I watched it. More out of a sense of duty than anything else. I didn't find it too bad..but Football and Boxing movies tend to be much better than Hockey movies.

If you guys want to liven up the thread we could debate the head-shot/concussion issue. But I think we already went through that last season and reached a consensus. Or did we?

The latest Crosby hit (not the one where he was up against the boards, but the other one) for example. Does anyone think that it was NOT intentional? I think it was fully intentional and that idiot got off scott-free! I hate to say it, but the Penguins need to get themselves a Jody Shelley type of player. An old-school goon who has only one purpose - protect and defend their superstars at all costs. People wouldn't be taking liberties with him if they had some more muscle on that team.
Despite the fact that the Pens are rivals with my team, I still don't want to see their guys - or anybody - getting hit with dirty plays like that. Cooke is a little rat and keeps the opposing teams alert..but he can't defend Crosby.
I think Crosby may be out for a while. And that's just bad for the game overall.

Also, did anyone else watch that pasting of the Leafs last night at MSG? What a pathetic effort by Toronto.
The Flames got smoked by the Wild too..

OZZ
20th January 11, 01:41 PM
Rickards is awesome, no shame in that. Failing that, Guiness.

Bud is just Bud. It's a beer, but meh.

In the summer I like to drink Grolsch too. Bud is just the standard quick-fix beer that is served at most places so you get used to it.
I like Guiness but its a heavier beer so I worry about the calories with that one. I only drink that if I am out at a bar.

KO'd N DOA
20th January 11, 01:54 PM
I think my entire Habs team is injured. Golf might be starting early this year. Ottawa on friday will be a good test.

The Crosby head shot was deliberate. He is the marquis player - he needs a McSorley pronto.

Feryk
20th January 11, 04:20 PM
All the handwringing aside, enforcers have a place in this league. At least one roster spot needs to be reserved for the monster who strikes fear into the other team.

What I don't need to see is a player get slough footed or boarded by a rat like Avery, then the enforcer for his team having to take the inevitable beating. There needs to be an understanding that if you make a bullshit play that results in an injury, you better be prepared to face a Shelley or a MacIntyre (we call him SmackIntyre).

One thing the Oilers did right is get that guy and put him on the ice against teams that take liberties. Hopefully Hall can play the year without being gooned.

Nasreal
20th January 11, 09:42 PM
All the handwringing aside, enforcers have a place in this league. At least one roster spot needs to be reserved for the monster who strikes fear into the other team.

What I don't need to see is a player get slough footed or boarded by a rat like Avery, then the enforcer for his team having to take the inevitable beating. There needs to be an understanding that if you make a bullshit play that results in an injury, you better be prepared to face a Shelley or a MacIntyre (we call him SmackIntyre).

One thing the Oilers did right is get that guy and put him on the ice against teams that take liberties. Hopefully Hall can play the year without being gooned.
Speaking of Shelly, damn there were a lot of fights tonight. THAT was a fuckin hockey game man. Flyers win 6-2 and there were like ten fights. Shelly and Giroux both had awesome fights.

Feryk
21st January 11, 11:14 AM
Shelly's a beast. He's also the reason people don't take a lot of liberties with the Flyers.

OZZ
21st January 11, 02:43 PM
Another Sens- Flyers fight-filled game! The fans were just lovin' it..and Richards got 2G 2A. He is my favorite player..a Bobby Clarke for the modern era (without the stickwork). Gets his points more through hard work and determination than raw talent and can be relied upon in all situations. He plays alot bigger than his size too.
When it came time to pick a new jersey a couple of years ago, people were urging me to get Clarke, Lindbergh, Brindamour or Parent (I have a Hextall one, but it is too small now) but instead of dwelling on the past I thought it would be better to look forward and have confidence in the current leaders. I think Mike Richards has what it takes to lead the Flyers to a Cup.So I now wear his jersey..

Even Giroux dropped 'em last night with Foligno.It looks like it would have been a fun game to be at.
The Sens are another team that needs a major overhaul.

OZZ
21st January 11, 02:45 PM
I think my entire Habs team is injured. Golf might be starting early this year. Ottawa on friday will be a good test.

The Crosby head shot was deliberate. He is the marquis player - he needs a McSorley pronto.

Too bad about Cammi..that hurts. Fortunately, you guys have a good goalie to keep you in games.

Feryk
21st January 11, 04:40 PM
http://assets.extremeadvertisements.com/hashed_silo_content/cda/d9e/83c/resized/ahah.jpg?1294100251

For you, OZZ. FTR, I loathe Pronger.

OZZ
21st January 11, 05:30 PM
That's awesome Feryk, thanks. lol
To be honest, I wanted Philly to get Pronger back when he was with the Blues. I knew he was a mean bastard and seemed a perfect fit for the Flyers as a cornerstone to build around. So we ended up with him 10 years later..meh. At least he still has some gas left in the tank..whether its enough to meaningfully fulfill the 5 year contract is yet to be seen. So far, so good.
I understand most Edmonton fans (and almost everyone else too) depises him. But my impression is it was his WIFE that actually gave the chilly city of Edmonton the snub, not Prongs himself. I also heard it had something to do with a certain young lady outside the family circle.
Definitely the type of player you hate unless he is on your team.

Nasreal
22nd January 11, 09:43 PM
Let it just be said, FUCK THE NEW JERSEY DEVILS. I didn't see the game, cause I was at work. But seriously, fuck the Devils.

OZZ
22nd January 11, 10:58 PM
NBC begins its NHL broadcasting tommorrow afternoon at 1pm - Flyers VS Blackhawks.
It will be over just in time for the football game too..awesome!
NBC sucks at covering hockey..but at least its extra games to watch.

Feryk
25th January 11, 06:48 PM
That's awesome Feryk, thanks. lol
. But my impression is it was his WIFE that actually gave the chilly city of Edmonton the snub, not Prongs himself. I also heard it had something to do with a certain young lady outside the family circle.
Definitely the type of player you hate unless he is on your team.

http://www.cisnfm.com/Pics/ProfileImages/jenniferMartin.jpg

This is the young lady in question AFAIK. She has a kid who looks like a certain somebody now.

IRL, she's smokin'. Can hardly blame the guy really.

KO'd N DOA
26th January 11, 12:52 PM
Stupid flyers, and that puck thieving Pronger.

Mark my workds...This playoff, it will be 'BOB' from Flyers and Price will be determining who advances on who is a hotter goalie.

OZZ
30th January 11, 04:24 PM
Hey Guys..All-Star Weekend !!!
Are we excited yet??
NOT!!

Japuma
30th January 11, 05:42 PM
Shits weak

KO'd N DOA
31st January 11, 11:51 AM
Hey Guys..All-Star Weekend !!!
Are we excited yet??
NOT!!

I said it before and I will say it again....

PK

'Missed' most of the game but we sent our rookie mascott was entertaining, non?

Feryk
31st January 11, 12:16 PM
I liked the 'shinny' format of the game. But in concept. I didn't watch, had better things to do.

Like nap.

KO'd N DOA
31st January 11, 12:20 PM
Good choice. I was painting furniture. The fumes had me stoned by the last 5 minutes of the 'game' that I thought it was the most brilliant hockey ever.

Replay of highlights today confirmed my suspicions that paint fumes alter perception.

The draft was good for lulz. And big surprise Chara has the hardest shot in the skillz.

OZZ
31st January 11, 02:43 PM
Chara has held the record for a couple of years now..105.9. He even beat Al Iafrate's old record which stood for quite a while.
It always bothered me the Iafrate held that record..he just blasted off a magnificent shot. Among his contemporaries, Al Macinnis was the one who really put the fear into goalies and shot-blockers.
That guy had a fucking hard slapshot.

Feryk
2nd February 11, 03:57 PM
MacInnes actually knocked a goalie unconscious with a shot to the guy's helmet.

He was an awesome player in his day.

OZZ
2nd February 11, 05:32 PM
A defenceman with a feared shot from the point can be a huge asset to a hockey team. Most players who make their living on the blue line and on the PP develop a decent shot, But there are some guys who just have that extra mph and accuracy that makes goalies cringe. Even if they don't score, you might not be able to control the rebound.
I played for five years on the same team with a guy who had an awesome slapper..he was known around the league we played in for it.
Then in my final year, I moved and ended up playing on another team and had to play AGAINST him. It took all my nerve to stare down that shot from my crease, let me tell you. No neck protectors in those days (they had just started to market those stupid ones that dangled from your helmet) and that was what I was always worried about. I always had at least one bruise after playing against him.
Oh yeah, and WTF is up with the Flyers not being able to beat the Lightning?

lant3rn
2nd February 11, 09:12 PM
His composite stick is the biggest advantage, and why he set a new record.

I hope that goofy looking, lanky, retard gets his head chopped off by a celling fan

OZZ
5th February 11, 09:19 PM
Check this out..
Chara haters will love this.

TSN Sports

ST. PETERSBURG, Russia - Move over, Zdeno Chara.

The Kontinental Hockey League says Russian defenceman Denis Kulyash has smashed hockey's hardest shot record.

Kulyash hit 110.3 miles per hour at the KHL's all-star skills competiton Saturday -- well ahead of the 105.9 m.p.h. shot Chara registered at last weekend's NHL all-star game in Raleigh, N.C.

The 27-year-old Kulyash plays for Avangard Omsk in the Russian-based league and has 11 goals and 24 points in 46 games this season.

He was an eighth-round pick of the Nashville Predators in 2004, but has never played in the NHL.

Chara, a six-foot-nine defenceman for the Boston Bruins, has captured the hardest shot competition during the past four NHL all-star weekends

OZZ
10th February 11, 12:54 PM
BTW I think this is probably bullshit ^^^

But anyways, now that the all-star break is over and the trade deadline is approaching - thigs are getting interesting. This is the time of year when I start following things much more closely.
I don't think Philly needs to tinker too much..just go with what is working. Adding a depth player or two, as long as it doesn't cost them any good draft picks, is OK.But anything else is unnecessary.
Flyers have had trouble with Tampa Bay, but will not have to play them in the first round because Tampa will win the Southeast hands down and get a top seed.

Calgary is back in the playoff picture now...

The Western Conference is TOUGH man. Look at the point differential in the East and West and how the teams are positioned. Every game is like a playoff game from here on in for the teams fighting for those last couple of spots.

Kiko
13th February 11, 08:35 AM

OZZ
17th February 11, 04:03 PM
I only wish this guy had stayed in Philly and won his Stanley Cup there instead of with Carolina.
He will be remembered by many as a Hurricane, but he will always be one of my favorite Flyers.

Fittingly Brind'Amour's big night comes vs. FlyersThursday, 02.17.2011 / 9:00 AM / NHL Insider By Mike G. Morreale - NHL.com Staff Writer

You get the feeling Rod Brind'Amour would prefer a workout bench, a couple of dumbbells and perhaps a treadmill by his side Friday when he becomes the third player in the history of the Carolina Hurricanes to have his number retired.

After all, he wasn't nicknamed "Rod the Bod" for nothing.

"This guy worked so hard off the ice, I got tired just watching him," Hall of Famer Ron Francis, a teammate with the Hurricanes, told NHL.com. "He brought that work ethic to the rink every time he stepped on the ice. You knew he was going to compete and give you everything he had. To do that, day in and day out, over your career is not an easy thing. It's a tough challenge and he met it head on and made it look easy."

Added Keith Jones, a teammate with the Philadelphia Flyers: "With Roddy, it was all about his commitment to the game. Maximizing his abilities by his hard work in the weight room, on the ice and in practice -- he was relentless in his pursuit to get better."

Brind'Amour happy to pass torch to Staal
After inheriting the captaincy for the Carolina Hurricanes from Ron Francis in 2005, Rod Brind'Amour would prove his competitive verve by leading the franchise to its first Stanley Cup that season.

He wore the "C" with dignity until January 2010, when he passed the torch to Eric Staal. It's a decision he felt extremely comfortable with, too.

"Obviously it came down a little bit quicker than I would have probably liked, but to pass it on to a kid like that, who obviously I've seen come into the League as a rookie," Brind'Amour said. "I know the kind of person he is, and it makes you feel good to know that he's taking over something that maybe you started, and you know he's going to do a good job. I'm glad he was the one."

Staal said he learned plenty during Brind'Amour's five-year reign as captain of the Hurricanes.

"I learned that you have to be professional every single practice and every single game," he said. "Not that I wasn't before, but there are a lot more eyes on you as captain. I think for me, I've been watching Rod and Ron Francis my whole life coming in as a young player. Watching how they prepare. Now it's kind of a role reversal. There's going to be younger guys watching me and how I prepare and how I focus and how I tune up for games and practices. I have to make sure I'm bringing it every single time. Those guys did it before me and I need to do the same thing."

-- Mike G. MorrealeWhile Brind'Amour won't be pumping any iron Friday -- not during the ceremony, at least -- rest assured his adrenaline will be pumping while he watches his No. 17 banner raised to the rafters prior to Carolina's game against the Philadelphia Flyers at RBC Center.

Brind'Amour, drafted by the Blues with the ninth pick of the 1988 Entry Draft, finished his career with 452 goals and 732 assists in 1,484 regular-season games spanning 20 seasons with St. Louis, Philadelphia and Carolina. He announced his retirement in June.

His jersey retirement will be the third by the Hurricanes, after Glen Wesley (2) and Francis (10).

Brind'Amour said he was 12 years old when his father purchased him his first set of plastic weights and he'd get up early in the morning and train for a half-hour each day.

"My dad had a tough job, he was a pipefitter, and he always told me to do something different than the next kid, because he didn't want me ending up doing what he was for a living," Brind'Amour said. "From then on, I said I would have to work harder than the next guy and if I gave it everything I had, I wouldn't have any excuses if things didn't work out. That was my mentality when I played and trained and I took it pretty serious every day when I was a player in this League."

After starting his career in St. Louis, Brind'Amour spent nine seasons with the Flyers. He wouldn't finish that ninth season in Philadelphia, however, as he was dealt to the Hurricanes on Jan. 23, 2000. Brind'Amour said it was one of the toughest days of his career.

"The day I got traded from Philadelphia was one of the worst days of my career," he said. "Up until that point, I bled orange and black. It was an extremely tough time for me to leave that place because I loved it so much. They've got tremendously loyal fans there that every player, if there's a list of a couple teams they wish they could play on, Philadelphia's always at the top of that list because of the organization and because of the following and the reception that you get there. They keep you on your toes and they keep you honest, but they're always there for you, and I think that says a lot about that Flyer fan base."

In nine seasons with the Flyers, he had 235 goals and 601 points in 633 games. He also played a Flyers-record 484 consecutive games. In fact, the 1999-2000 season saw his ironman streak come to an end due to a broken foot, and 12 games into his return, he was traded to Carolina.

The move worked out pretty well, as Brind'Amour led the Hurricanes to a pair of trips to the Stanley Cup Final, and was the first in team history to raise the Cup when he captained the team to the 2006 championship. Since the franchise relocated from Hartford to North Carolina in July 1997, he's second all-time in points (473 in 694 games), first in assists (299) and shorthanded goals (10), and third in goals (174) and power-play goals (60).

Hurricanes announce tribute plans
The Carolina Hurricanes are planning to give former captain Rod Brind'Amour a night to remember.

The doors to RBC Center will open at 6 p.m. ET on Friday and all fans in attendance will receive a replica mini No. 17 banner upon entering. Once inside the arena, fans will be able to enjoy one of the defining moments of Brind'Amour's career as a replay of the third period of Game 7 of the 2006 Eastern Conference Final is shown on the video board.

At 6:30 p.m., Hurricanes television analyst Tripp Tracy will host a special roundtable discussion of Brind'Amour's career with three of his former teammates -- Bret Hedican, Keith Jones and Chris Therien. The ceremony to raise Brind'Amour's No. 17 to the RBC Center rafters will begin at 7 p.m. and fans are encouraged to be in their seats by that time.

"I was extremely happy to see him raise the Stanley Cup with Carolina in '06 because he was a major reason why they were successful," Jones said. "He always carried himself with class and dignity, and much like a lot of the Carolina players today, Rod Brind'Amour certainly played a role in molding the way that franchise has moved forward. He was a great Flyer and we're all happy that we're going to be there with him on Friday."

The Hurricanes and Flyers will take their pre-game warm-up skates at 7:30 p.m. following the ceremony. John Forslund's 1-on-1 interview with Brind'Amour will be shown on the video board after the warm-ups, and puck-drop for the game is scheduled for 8:08 p.m. Special appearances and surprises are planned throughout the evening.

The Kids 'N Community Foundation will feature several unique Brind'Amour items at its auction table across from section 129 on Friday, including the autographed, game-worn jersey he wore for home games during the first three rounds of the 2006 Stanley Cup Playoffs. In addition to Friday's promotional mini-banner giveaway, fans attending Saturday's home game against New Jersey will receive a poster commemorating all three banner raisings in the team's history, which include Glen Wesley and Ron Francis.

"I don't think anyone has worked harder in their career on or off the ice to achieve the success that he has," Francis said of Brind'Amour. "It was great to see him hoist the Cup over his head and it's really going to be great to see him on the ice and have his number go up to the rafters."

-- Mike G. Morreale"He was a Hall of Fame player for our organization, clearly," Hurricanes coach Paul Maurice told NHL.com. "How that meshes with all the other greats in the NHL is for other people to decide. But when you look at changes in a franchise, from when I originally got here in 1995 when we hadn't produced a winning month in four years, to a team that eventually won a conference championship, a Stanley Cup and made a final-four appearance, that's the impact Rod had."

Brind'Amour was named the 'Canes' captain prior to the 2005-06 season and produced 31 goals and 70 points that season while leading the club to a franchise-record 52 wins. His 12 playoff goals during the team's Stanley Cup run also set a franchise record.

"I wish I could say that I tried harder and did more in the playoffs, but that's just not the case," Brind'Amour said. "I think it's more a reflection of the people around me at playoff time and them picking up their game, which elevated mine. I know that the games that were more important, you want to do better and there's that will to achieve more."

Peter Laviolette, who coached Brind'Amour during Carolina's Cup run, considers him a future Hall of Famer.

"I think the world of him, not only as player, but a person," Laviolette said. "He exemplifies everything you would want in a captain. When he grabbed that Cup it was special for him and special for everybody else that watched him do it.

"Do I think he's a Hall of Famer? I believe he is."

The relationship between coach and player wasn't always this cordial, however.

"When Peter first got here, our relationship wasn't that good," Brind'Amour said. "He didn't know any of the players and he was new to this area. But following the lockout year, he was a totally different coach and our relationship really blossomed. He named me captain and basically gave me every opportunity I could have as a player. I played 23-24 minutes a game and in every situation and ultimately, through his leadership, we won that Stanley Cup.

"I think you see it in Philly now. He gets the most out of his players and he gets it in a way where everyone feels a part of it. It's not the X's and O's, it's not dissecting plays. It's getting his players to believe and care for each other and that's what he did (in Carolina)."

Hurricanes GM Jim Rutherford, the man responsible for bringing him to the Hurricanes, is looking forward to celebrating Brind'Amour's career.

"When Rod came to our organization, he was coming off a broken foot, so I can remember right from Day 1 to the last day the impact he's had," Rutherford said. "Really, there are so many players who played a huge role for us in winning the Stanley Cup and I know Cam (Ward) won the Conn Smythe Trophy and I agree with that pick, but there were times throughout those playoffs that, without Rod Brind'Amour, we didn't have a chance.

"Rod scored many big goals, won key faceoffs, killed penalties; it's pretty hard to go through the whole list of what he's done for us because the impact he had in our organization will last a lifetime."

Brind'Amour played in 159 career Stanley Cup playoff games, totaling 51 goals and 60 assists. He participated in the Stanley Cup Final three times, reaching the Final in 1997 with Philadelphia and 2002 and '06 with Carolina.

He was named Carolina's director of forwards development in September.

"When you win, there's nothing greater than that, and there's no better way to be remembered," Brind'Amour said. "I know that I'll be remembered as a Hurricane, and that image I guess of me being able to hold that Cup is something that, around here, is quite etched in stone. This is my home now, so I realize that and I'm just grateful that I'm remembered at all, to be honest with you."

KO'd N DOA
17th February 11, 06:17 PM
Rod is awesome.

Okay, we are in the final stretch. Got the fights out of the way, now lets get back to hockey.

Feryk
18th February 11, 12:14 PM
Holy fuck, the Oilers have won two in a row!

OZZ
18th February 11, 12:16 PM
Holy fuck ,the Flames have won 12 of their last 14!

KO'd N DOA
18th February 11, 12:54 PM
Habs defence bleed buckets for that game. What a disappointment.

Also, Mike Fisher AKA Mr. Carrie Underwood, has fled the country.

OZZ
21st February 11, 07:04 PM
I didn't expect the Habs to get shut out..I think the NHL is pretty pleased with how well things went. The attendance was somewhere around 45,000 and it was -20 out. Almost as cold as the very first one between Montreal and Edmonton.
If they were to try and have a Heritage Outdoor Classic in Ontario, it would have to be up near Ottawa. The weather in the GTA region is too unpredictable and it could turn out to be very warm and the ice would be shit. Ottawa gets cold enough to pull it off.
Problem with that though - Ottawa didn't even fill their building during the playoffs when their team was a contender. There weren't a lot of empty seats..but you still have to shake your head at that. An NHL franchise in this province with a real shot at winning the cup , and has reasonably priced tickets to boot (unlike Toronto) and there are still a couple of hundred seats empty? That's a poor reflection of the Ottawa community if you ask me.
Surely an outdoor game would draw considerable interest, I am not saying they couldn't draw a good crowd - but their team is terrible right now and that doesn't help either.
I know I have said this before, but I want to reiterate - I am willing to bet that the Leafs already had a chance to be involved in one of these games. They have the biggest fan base in the country (Montreal MAY have more..it would be close) so it makes sense that the league would want to have them in on it. But I think that the organization refused to be involved unless they could have it in their place of choosing and have complete control over things as well as a lion's share of the revenue. This is the way Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment works..they are a greedy, monopoly-minded corporation that really only cares about one thing - MONEY. I also think that they would refuse to play an outdoor game in Ottawa for these very reasons. If they can't call all the shots - they don't want to be involved.
Which is just as well, becuase they suck. But I would like to go to one of these outdoor games at some point.

OZZ
24th February 11, 11:39 PM
Oh no! Montreal blew it tonight and now the Leafs are 4 points out of a playoff spot.
They are riding that Riemer kid while he's hot..and Kessel has started scoring again too.
If they squeak in to the playoffs I have to listen to annoying Leaf fans talk about how they are going to win the Cup..for about a week.
Bah..there's still like 25 games to go..they'll tank again soon enough.

Feryk
28th February 11, 01:26 PM
The Oilers win streak died at 3. I watched them fold to Boston last night. We sold out the arena, the energy was great and the Oilers scored in the first minute of play.

And then were outshot 40 - 18.

We lost 3-2, in a very winnable game.

Oh well. At least it wasn't boring. There were more fighting majors handed out than all other penalties combined.

KO'd N DOA
28th February 11, 01:31 PM
. This is the way Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment works..they are a greedy, monopoly-minded corporation that really only cares about one thing - MONEY. I also think that they would refuse to play an outdoor game in Ottawa for these very reasons. If they can't call all the shots - they don't want to be involved.

My brothers is a teacher, says his pension fund owns them.

Montreal has more sincere fans than TO. When was the last time Leaves fans burned a cop car? Thought so.

Feryk
28th February 11, 01:39 PM

Montreal has more sincere fans than TO. When was the last time Leaves fans burned a cop car? Thought so.

When was the last time they had cause to? Exactly.

KO'd N DOA
28th February 11, 01:43 PM
When was the last time they had cause to? Exactly.

For truth.

OZZ
28th February 11, 06:40 PM

Yes...Ontario Teachers own them through their pension fund. It has absolutely no bearing on how the team is run though, its just another blue chip investment to keep their money earning money.
Habs fans are sincere..but the one's I argue with over on the TSN Sports message boards are a bunch of whiny idiots too. Always yapping about conspiracies and the refs costing them games etc. etc.
Speaking of Montreal, no real moves and the deadline just passed today..Sopel was a decent pickup, but I think they needed to shore up their D-Core a bit for the playoffs.
Trade Deadline Day is so boring now..I remember when guys used to actually take the day off work to keep track of all the action. Not anymore, the cap has changed the economics of the game.
Biggest news of the day - Dustin Penner getting shipped to LA from Siberia ,er.. I mean Edmonton, for a blue chipper D (Colton Teubert) and two draft picks including a 1st rounder.The Oilers are stocking up nicely with young prospects and they will be a great team again soon. I still don't think the Kings will make any noise in the playoffs this year, maybe they get to the 2nd round, but that's it.
Arnott went to the Caps..
Maxim Lapierre went to Vancouver..
Nothing really all that exciting. Ottawa re signed Phillips to a 3-year extension, he expressed interest in staying with the Sens while they try to rebuild. He also did it for less money than he likely would have gotten had he tested the free agent market this summer, so good for him.
Dallas wants to try and keep Brad Richards too, so a trade involving him didn't materialize as many thought it would.
There were some other deals involving minor leaguers and 3rd line guys..but nothing to write home about. The Flyers picked up another depth player the other day in Nick Boynton and traded prospects with someone today..I can't remember who right now.
Anyhow..here's hoping the Leafs don't squeak in and Calgary does (sorry, feryk) so they can try and upset the Canucks in the first round.

KO'd N DOA
1st March 11, 10:16 AM
Yes...Ontario Teachers own them through their pension fund. It has absolutely no bearing on how the team is run though, its just another blue chip investment to keep their money earning money.
Habs fans are sincere..but the one's I argue with over on the TSN Sports message boards are a bunch of whiny idiots too. Always yapping about conspiracies and the refs costing them games etc. etc.
Speaking of Montreal, no real moves and the deadline just passed today..Sopel was a decent pickup, but I think they needed to shore up their D-Core a bit for the playoffs.
Trade Deadline Day is so boring now..I remember when guys used to actually take the day off work to keep track of all the action. Not anymore, the cap has changed the economics of the game.
Biggest news of the day - Dustin Penner getting shipped to LA from Siberia ,er.. I mean Edmonton, for a blue chipper D (Colton Teubert) and two draft picks including a 1st rounder.The Oilers are stocking up nicely with young prospects and they will be a great team again soon. I still don't think the Kings will make any noise in the playoffs this year, maybe they get to the 2nd round, but that's it.
Arnott went to the Caps..
Maxim Lapierre went to Vancouver..
Nothing really all that exciting. Ottawa re signed Phillips to a 3-year extension, he expressed interest in staying with the Sens while they try to rebuild. He also did it for less money than he likely would have gotten had he tested the free agent market this summer, so good for him.
Dallas wants to try and keep Brad Richards too, so a trade involving him didn't materialize as many thought it would.
There were some other deals involving minor leaguers and 3rd line guys..but nothing to write home about. The Flyers picked up another depth player the other day in Nick Boynton and traded prospects with someone today..I can't remember who right now.
Anyhow..here's hoping the Leafs don't squeak in and Calgary does (sorry, feryk) so they can try and upset the Canucks in the first round.

You missed Kovalev in that list.

I for one do not miss him at all.

Feryk
1st March 11, 08:56 PM

The media here are trying to sell this trade by hyping Colton Teubert as a future powerplay shot maker who can hit, and play solid D. I'm thinking the first round draft pick was the big thing. Tambellini was on the radio today saying the kid will be in the minors for at least another couple of years. I would have some witty rejoinder about the Siberia comment, but it fucking feels like it today. -23 Celsius + Wind to make it -38 with windchill.

OZZ
6th March 11, 11:48 AM
Damn Flyers had better win this afternoon..they have been awful lately.Losing to Ottawa,Toronto and Buffalo yesterday.
The game is on NBC's Game of the Week at 12:30 - I have 45 minutes to shovel the damn driveway before it starts!

OZZ
6th March 11, 06:36 PM
* slowly shakes head in disbelief *

lant3rn
6th March 11, 10:27 PM
* slowly shakes head in disbelief *

Yah, it was a great game.

Real eye opener.

OZZ
7th March 11, 11:05 AM
Yah, it was a great game.

Real eye opener.

This thread is for people who actually know what is going on in the sport of hockey.

Feryk
7th March 11, 11:13 AM
Well, Edmonton has won 7 of the last 10, is now out of the basement, despite losing Penner in a trade, and Hemsky and now Hall to season ending injuries.

I have no idea if I'm happy or saddened by this turn of events. Is it possible that the Oilers are developing *gasp* depth?

My hopes are not high, but the kids might be on the verge of growing up. We shall see.

KO'd N DOA
7th March 11, 12:05 PM
The second Dynasty is rising.

Feryk
7th March 11, 12:37 PM
From your lips to God's ears.

lant3rn
7th March 11, 01:47 PM
This thread is for people who actually know what is going on in the sport of hockey.

I know the Phillies got spanked 7 - 0 yesterday.

Feryk
7th March 11, 01:49 PM
Be nice to Ozz. Philly actually has a real shot this year, for perhaps the last time in his life.

OZZ
9th March 11, 12:36 PM
You fuckers get your laughs in now..all we needed was a victory over an easy opponent *cough* oilers*cough* to get things back on track. Actually, its the first time Philly's beaten the Oil in almost ten years. But we only play them every other year.
One thing I have noticed is that the Habs - Bruins rivalry is heating up nicely. First a brawl with the goalies droppin' em and now Chara puts the hurt on someone (?) the other night in the most awful way.
I hope he is ok. That looked brutal..I hate seeing guy's get taken off on stretchers.
I actually don't think it was Chara's intention to run him into the glass divider though, he was just gaining position and the glass came zooming up. Unfortunate, but it happens.
I remember when Iafrate got creamed like that too back in the day..

OZZ
9th March 11, 12:38 PM
I know the Phillies got spanked 7 - 0 yesterday.

If you posted in here more often I would be nicer to you. Don't you see?
The Phillies are a baseball team, btw.

lant3rn
9th March 11, 01:17 PM
If you posted in here more often I would be nicer to you. Don't you see?
The Phillies are a baseball team, btw.

I know but the choice of word choice made for a good double-entendre.

And you shouldn't defend that goofy looking, lanky, son of a whore.
Paciaretti had long since passed the puck before that eurofag decided to put his head into the stantion.

You're loosing 4-0 and the fucker decided to take a run at a yougn up and commer 1/2 his size. That fucker pulls cheap shit all the time. He is a classless POS and deserves a two hander to his kneecap.

OZZ
9th March 11, 01:36 PM
I don't like Chara either..but he seemed sincere when he was talking to the press.
At first glance I thought it looked semi-intentional..but then I reconsidered. I dunno..maybe it was. I need to look at it a few more times.
But yeah, Chara is a big goof. It would be nice to see someone kick his ass before his career is done, but he is pretty fucking big.
It seems like Paciaretti is Ok, anyways.

lant3rn
9th March 11, 01:50 PM
I don't like Chara either..but he seemed sincere when he was talking to the press.
At first glance I thought it looked semi-intentional..but then I reconsidered. I dunno..maybe it was. I need to look at it a few more times.
But yeah, Chara is a big goof. It would be nice to see someone kick his ass before his career is done, but he is pretty fucking big.
It seems like Paciaretti is Ok, anyways.

Alligator tears, one of his trade marks.

I think Wisniewski could take him, maybe Gill.

I just know if I were on the team, the next time we played; i would hack at his knee cap until he became a cripple

OZZ
9th March 11, 02:57 PM
That White kid did an alright job in his scrap the other night..tough Manitoba boy. I don't know how big he is though.
I'd like to see someone like Boogard wipe up the ice with Chara..but you know he would never drop the gloves with the 'Boogeyman'.

Feryk
9th March 11, 03:40 PM
He wouldn't have to. Boogard just has to run him, pancake him, then hit him in the face. Take the instigator penalty, sure, but you'd also teach Chara some respect.

OZZ
9th March 11, 07:54 PM
Oh shit...it turns out Pacioretty isn't exactly Ok. He's got a fucking serious injury..
Someone had better get Chara for this.

TSN Sports

NHL NEWS

Montreal Canadiens forward Max Pacioretty suffered a severe concussion and a fractured vertebrae on Tuesday, according to Canadiens head coach Jacques Martin.

"Max Pacioretty has a severe concussion, as well as a fracture of the fourth cervical vertebrae, but it's not displaced," Martin said. "Max will remain at the hospital for further observation. There will be no other prognosis for the time being, but he will obviously be out indefinitely. The most important thing for our organization right now is Max's recovery. We will continue following recommendations from the doctors and of course, Max and his immediate family would appreciate privacy in this matter."

Pacioretty was injured late in the second period of Montreal's 4-1 win over the Boston Bruins Tuesday when Bruins defenceman Zdeno Chara ran him into the turnbuckle that frames the glass partition between the players' benches.

The 22-year-old rookie, who had four points in his last four games, was trying to get past Chara on the play when he was hit hard and went head-first into the glass partition between the benches.

Pacioretty lay motionless for several minutes with his eyes closed before being taken from the ice on a stretcher.

"What I remember about it was the sound - it sounded like a gun: bang!" said Pacioretty's linemate Scott Gomez. "Stuff like that is tough to look at."

"It makes your guts hurt," goalie Carey Price echoed. "I can't imagine being a parent, watching your kid get hit like that."

"For all hockey parents who have kids in the sport, I think we all kind of had the same feeling, and for them you can only imagine that they were very scared," said defenceman P.K. Subban.

Chara had a Noon et conference call with NHL vice-president of hockey operations Mike Murphy, but did not receive a suspension or fine from the league.

"I conducted a hearing with Boston Bruins' defenseman Zdeno Chara with respect to the major penalty for interference and game misconduct that he was assessed at 19:44 of the second period for a hit on Max Pacioretty of the Montreal Canadiens," Murphy issued in a statement.

"After a thorough review of the video I can find no basis to impose supplemental discipline. This hit resulted from a play that evolved and then happened very quickly -- with both players skating in the same direction and with Chara attempting to angle his opponent into the boards. I could not find any evidence to suggest that, beyond this being a correct call for interference, that Chara targeted the head of his opponent, left his feet or delivered the check in any other manner that could be deemed to be dangerous."

"This was a hockey play that resulted in an injury because of the player colliding with the stanchion and then the ice surface. In reviewing this play, I also took into consideration that Chara has not been involved in a supplemental discipline incident during his 13-year NHL career."

Pacioretty had 14 goals and 10 assists in 37 games with the Habs since being called up from AHL Hamilton in early December

KO'd N DOA
9th March 11, 09:06 PM
Oh shit...it turns out Pacioretty isn't exactly Ok. He's got a fucking serious injury..
Someone had better get Chara for this.

"Chara ran him into the turnbuckle that frames the glass partition between the players' benches."

Turnbuckle??... That guy must have slipped through editing, but it was not the WWE!

The office was ablaze with this, some guys saw it live. Chara needs to eat a Sherwood sandwich.

OZZ
10th March 11, 12:55 PM
This whole thing is getting a LOT of attention.
Air Canada sent a letter to the NHL telling them to do something about the headshots and injuries or they are going to pull their sponsorship.
Not only do they own the naming rights to the Leafs arena, they contribute large to all 6 Canadian teams. It might not be long before some other major companies and corporations do the same.
This is going to get ugly.

KO'd N DOA
10th March 11, 01:59 PM
The Habs fans have flooded the Police lines wanting to press charges. Memo's have gone out - do not call the Police on this.

If they meet in Playoffs, we will probably have a riot.

lant3rn
10th March 11, 02:23 PM
Chara deserves a suspension but of course the league is a bunch a goddamn pussies and doesn't want any responsibility in Boston's playoff chances.

If you injure someone while committing an infraction it should be an automatic fine or suspension. That's the way it works in the real world.

"Oh I'm sorry officer I didn't mean to hit that guy with my car, you see I was texting my girlfriend and when I looked up "bam" he was right their in front of me."

Feryk
10th March 11, 03:39 PM
This whole thing is getting a LOT of attention.
Air Canada sent a letter to the NHL telling them to do something about the headshots and injuries or they are going to pull their sponsorship.
Not only do they own the naming rights to the Leafs arena, they contribute large to all 6 Canadian teams. It might not be long before some other major companies and corporations do the same.
This is going to get ugly.

They pay 1.8 million for a sponsorship that could easily generate 4-5 million from someone else. The NHL spends 20 million with them on Charter Flights. They should sit down and STFU.

KO'd N DOA
11th March 11, 01:55 PM
Habs lost again. St. Louis, to whom we gave our magic goaltender of last years Bad News Bears type run at the cup...Halak stuffed us.

I don't think this Chara stuff is doing the team any favours.

OZZ
11th March 11, 03:24 PM
They pay 1.8 million for a sponsorship that could easily generate 4-5 million from someone else. The NHL spends 20 million with them on Charter Flights. They should sit down and STFU.

Bettman said pretty much the same thing to them..lol

OZZ
21st March 11, 10:55 AM
Matt 'The Ratt' Cooke is at it again.
He picked the wrong time to do something stupid. He is going to get a big suspension for this latest cheap-shot.
He obviously cannot help himself..
www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=358971

btw - shame on any of you who didn't weigh in on my poll.tsk tsk

OZZ
21st March 11, 08:34 PM
YESS!!
Seems there is justice to be found at NHL headquarters after all..
Matt THE RATT is gone for the season AND the 1st round of the playoffs.
Finally, they are sending a message.

Oh, and my team has lost their best goon. Damn!

SHELLEY TO UNDERGO SURGERY

Philadelphia, PA (Sports Network) - The Philadelphia Flyers announced that enforcer Jody Shelley will undergo surgery Thursday on his orbital bone around his left eye.

Shelley, who was injured when a puck struck him during practice on Monday, is expected to be sidelined four weeks.

The 35-year-old has two goals and two assists in 58 games this season, his first with Philadelphia after signing a three-year contract last July.

Japuma
22nd March 11, 09:22 PM
Jesus tap-dancing Christ, the Caps stole 2 points tonight.

OZZ
25th March 11, 01:48 PM
Stole? You guys had a 3-0 lead in the 1st. We stole a point in a game it looked like we were going to get smoked in.
Last night against the Pens, Bob played awesome (finally)and we still lost the shootout and only got 1 point. Philly is hanging on the Conference lead by the skin of their teeth.

KO'd N DOA
25th March 11, 02:20 PM
Okay, I was hoping some Hab would just field dress Chara out there. Instead we let them run up the score card.

I hate Boston so much, that I am throwing away all my Ben Affleck movies. Bastards.

Japuma
25th March 11, 03:07 PM
Stole.... there is no way the Caps deserved 2 points.

lant3rn
25th March 11, 04:07 PM
Okay, I was hoping some Hab would just field dress Chara out there. Instead we let them run up the score card.

I hate Boston so much, that I am throwing away all my Ben Affleck movies. Bastards.

A real fan wouldn't own any to begin with.

KO'd N DOA
27th March 11, 01:45 PM
Stole.... there is no way the Caps deserved 2 points.

They sure deserved the 2 they took from my wankers last night. At this rate the LEAFs will beat us in the playoff race.

OZZ- I liked boston because of Don Cherry - Rock 'em Sock 'em that was the parent that I needed growing up.

OZZ
29th March 11, 05:57 PM
Big game for Philly tonight..getting ready to tune in.

OZZ
29th March 11, 08:45 PM
YESSS !!

KO'd N DOA
30th March 11, 10:09 AM
Finally that Monkey got off our back. Longest goal drought in 61 years. Its a wonder there were no riots.

All is good, not clinched yet, but soon. Awesome if we get to pound the leaf out of the first round - if they make it. Tickets for that will be expensive for sure.

Anyone think Vancouver will fold quickly this year?

OZZ
30th March 11, 11:54 AM
I actually think Vancouver might be for real this year. Even if Lou gives up the ghost, that Schneider kid is playing awesome. He could step in and save the day.

OZZ
30th March 11, 09:51 PM
Holy shit..Detroit got SMOKED tonight in their own building !! 10 goals or something..yeah, 10-3 !!
Man, that is bad news this close to playoff time. How demoralizing.
I hope they go out in the first round.

Japuma
30th March 11, 10:18 PM
I lul'd

Japuma
2nd April 11, 09:52 PM
http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc262/japuma630/Ovie_dance.gif

KO'd N DOA
4th April 11, 09:28 AM
WHERE IS OZZ?

Who the "XXXXX" thinks that banning this poster in the weeks leading up to the playoffs, where we need his wit, insight and passion????

I would so go 'Hockey brawl' on your stupid face.

BRING BACK OZZ!!1111!!!!
BRING BACK OZZZ!!!!

KO'd N DOA
5th April 11, 01:10 PM
Where did you banish him...to Australia? What kinda of outfit is this....

PLAYOFF SYSTEM TRUMPS YOUR E-EGO - Let him say 10 'Hail Stanely's' or write a letter to Neil Patrick Harris or whomever it was he offended and be done with it.

First Pronger....then Brier...then Betts... Now OZZ. This season will not end well.

OZZ
8th April 11, 12:01 PM
I'm BAAAAACK !!

Ban is over.

Go Flyers!

OZZ
8th April 11, 04:55 PM
ok..playoff picture as I see it.

Most underrated and likely to pull off an upset - NY RANGERS. This team is well-coached, hardowrking and has one of the best goalies in the league. I almost hop that Philly doesn't take 1st in the conference if the Rangers are 8th..because I don't want the Flyers to play them. They have given them trouble this year..especially in the latter part of the season

Most Overrated team - WASHINGTON CAPITALS. Sorry Japuma, but suspect goaltending and a PP that has dropped from one of the NHL's best and most feared to 21st in the league.Also, Ovechkin isn't as hot as he was.

Best Overall chance to win it all - if they can stay healthy,VANCOUVER CANUCKS might be for real this year. I say that due to the stellar play of the backup goalie, Corey Schneider. Lou has choked in prior years and they didn't have a viable option. This year, they do. They are deep and although they will miss Malhotra on the faceoffs and penalty-kill, I still think they are set to make a good run this year. Healthy Sedin twins, Kesler..40 year anniversary of the franchise. Looks pretty good for Canuck fans.

The BOSTON BRUINS should be dangerous this year as well. They have something to prove after last year and have one of the best, if not the best, goaltending tandems in the league.

DETROIT can never be written off..but if their goaltending falls apart, they are done. They also have an older squad and may tire as the rounds go on.

I would like to say the FLYERS have a legitimate shot. But over the last 20 games, I have lost confidence in them a bit. Pronger will be back for the playoffs, but will he be stellar? They need him on the point for the PP, because it is pathetic without him. Mike richards has been playing pretty well, one of their best players throughout the last half of the season. But I think he needs to be more vocal in the room.Goaltending is another question mark - as usual. If they up their game, its possible, but I won't be planning any trips to Philly for the parade quite yet.

MONTREAL could also pose a threat if Carey Price gets hot, but I am skeptical of their ability to beat out a team that is much bigger and plays physical against them. They are a small team, fast, but small.

As we all know so well..anything is possible come playoff time. Except the Leafs ever winning the cup, that is.
So..to steal a line from the great UFC ref John McCarthy : Let's Get It On !!

OZZ
8th April 11, 05:00 PM
WHERE IS OZZ?

Who the "XXXXX" thinks that banning this poster in the weeks leading up to the playoffs, where we need his wit, insight and passion????

I would so go 'Hockey brawl' on your stupid face.

BRING BACK OZZ!!1111!!!!
BRING BACK OZZZ!!!!

Thanks bud..

KO'd N DOA
9th April 11, 08:05 AM
Thanks bud..

Don't mention it...but once the playoffs start - Its war.

(don't want Philly vs Habs in first round)

OZZ
10th April 11, 09:47 PM
Montreal - Boston 1st round..that is going to be awesome.
I was soooo hoping that Chicago would miss the playoffs. They got lucky.

Philly should be able to beat Buffalo ..if Pronger gets the PP going.
Miller is the X-factor, but I will still go with the Flyers in 6 IF Pronger is in the lineup. If not, Buffalo may pull off the upset here.

KO'd N DOA
11th April 11, 08:31 AM
Beans vs Pea Soup is always awesome. If we can get PK going, and be hard but not stupid on Chara-cuz not big team...we have a real shot of getting past the first round. Few hear think we can repeat our glory run last year. But we made the play offs and look healthy, and our call ups are awesome.

Price choked most of last year so I really hope he lives up to the money and hype, because without 'Halak the Warlock' there to carry the team, spring might come soon.

OZZ
11th April 11, 03:08 PM
This will be a tough series for the Habs. I think the Bruins are one of the most dangerous teams in the Eastern Conference. Chara will try to make things difficult for the Montreal forwards. I think the key for the Canadians is speed and special teams. If their PP is connecting and the the PK is on as well ( which is going to be where Price's tending matters most) then they will have a good chance.To deal with Chara and the big Boston D-core, their smaller forwards need to criss-cross, get PK to carry it through the neutral zone and dish the puck off to them.
That would be my partial strategy if I was coaching, anyways.
Also, If they block shots the way they did last year against Washington, that will be amazing. That was one of the greatest displays of 'giving it all' that I have seen from a team in many years.
I guess we won't be hearing much from Feryk since his team's not in. :pity:

San Jose has really flown under the radar this year as well.Its just so easy to discount them due to their playoff history. That could be a mistake...

OZZ
11th April 11, 06:31 PM
Oh, also wanted to mention..Nashville's goalie , Pekka Rinne - VERY hot. Could be the deciding factor in a playoff upset.
So, as far as sleeper teams go..Nashville, Phoenix, San Jose.

OZZ
11th April 11, 07:15 PM
The mighty Oil are gunning for another 1st pick overall. They've got it in the bag, no matter how fail the Devils are.

Feryk, in all seriousness. Why NOT get the first crack at the draft lottery when you are rebuilding?
The balls fall tomorrow night, actually, 8pm and Edmonton has the best chance, then the Isles.
You have reason to be optimistic. Missing the playoffs sucks, but missing it over and over with seemingly no hope of getting any better is much, much worse...ie. Florida Panthers.
Leaf fans are all excited because they had a decent run the second half. Even thought they lost their last three games in a row lol.
The Leafs still didn't spend anywhere close to the cap maximum and fans were shelling out up to $1000.00 for platinum seats at the last reg. season game against the Habs. $1000.00 to watch a non-playoff team lose.
Makes me sick.

NoBowie
11th April 11, 07:26 PM
AHAHAHA! THERE STIX ARE BENT! THEY CHASE A DING-DONG ON FROZED WATERS! WHAT LOOSERS! AHAHAHA!

FickleFingerOfFate
11th April 11, 08:15 PM
Someone is terribly desperate for attention.

OZZ
11th April 11, 08:18 PM
AHAHAHA! THERE STIX ARE BENT! THEY CHASE A DING-DONG ON FROZED WATERS! WHAT LOOSERS! AHAHAHA!

A pussy like you wouldn't last two minutes on the ice...
I can hear the announcer now..
" Mason fires it down into the defensive zone, NoB ..comes on the ice, heads towards the corner..wha...? Uhhm..it seems he's distracted by a naked man pressing himself against the glass.."
WHAAMMM!!
" Oh! My goodness..NoB gets absolutely flattened and crushed into the boards by Big Dave Brown. I haven't seen a hit like that in all my years of commentating..its almost as if NoB had no sense of where he was at all!! Wow! Go back to the pond, rookie."
lol

FickleFingerOfFate
11th April 11, 08:27 PM
Check him into the Hospital!

NoBowie
11th April 11, 08:33 PM
AHAHA! HUCKEY PLAYERZ AND FOOTBULL PLAYERZ WEAR PADS!!! YOU NOW WHO ELSE WEREZ PADS???!!!

WOMENZ DURING THEIR PERIUDS!! AHAHAHA!!

RUGBIE AND SOCCER PLAYAS ARE REAL MENZ!

Japuma
11th April 11, 11:47 PM
Playoff beard growing... mohawk cut... need red dye. COME ON CAPS!!! STUFF THE RAGS!

Ajamil
12th April 11, 12:41 PM
Rugby and soccer players wear pads too.

NoBowie
12th April 11, 12:42 PM
Rugby and soccer players wear pads too.

No. They wear guards. Get it straight. Spend less time chanting.

Ajamil
12th April 11, 12:43 PM
Google it, you'll get lots of hits. Soccer pads and rugby pads.

NoBowie
12th April 11, 12:44 PM
Google it, you'll get lots of hits. Soccer pads and rugby pads.

I also get results for ballet pads. Doesn't mean shit.

KO'd N DOA
12th April 11, 05:05 PM
I don't give my team the hype I did last year. Mostly that was lark and trolling...who knew they would do so well. This year we lost 8-1 or something to the Bruins. The big bad bears will maul us out of the playoffs in 5 games. Then my city can burn, as we always do...win or lose.

Some of our solid core are out for at least the first round...Halpern, Markov, Georges, those guys carried most of the last playoff. Want good things for the rookies and I have a small hope Chara gets a full body cavity search by customs. Egg NoB would appreciate that.

OZZ
12th April 11, 10:23 PM
I also get results for ballet pads. Doesn't mean shit.

You dork..have you ever played a sport in your life?
I have shin protectors out in the garage from when I played soccer in university as well as keeper gloves. Seeing as its a NON-CONTACT sport and all, you don't need too many pads.
You see, real men play contact sports and hit each other.
Rugby players wear knee pads, mouthguards and cups too. But I give them major credit..that is one tough sport.

OZZ
12th April 11, 10:27 PM
I don't give my team the hype I did last year. Mostly that was lark and trolling...who knew they would do so well. This year we lost 8-1 or something to the Bruins. The big bad bears will maul us out of the playoffs in 5 games. Then my city can burn, as we always do...win or lose.

Some of our solid core are out for at least the first round...Halpern, Markov, Georges, those guys carried most of the last playoff. Want good things for the rookies and I have a small hope Chara gets a full body cavity search by customs. Egg NoB would appreciate that.

Special teams..man, special teams. If the B's get too caught up trying to play a physical game and the Habs capitalize on the PP ??
But, chances are they will be more disciplined then that and not let things get out of hand.
I think the Coyotes might upset Detroit this year. Henrik Zetterberg is hurt and their goaltending is suspect as well.

OZZ
12th April 11, 10:29 PM
Playoff beard growing... mohawk cut... need red dye. COME ON CAPS!!! STUFF THE RAGS!

Actually their PP was at 21st ..but moved up to 15th by the end of the year.
The Caps have a lot of pressure on them to deliver this year.

FickleFingerOfFate
13th April 11, 04:25 AM

Short answer,

NO!
[/NoB]

OZZ
13th April 11, 09:40 AM
Instead of playing on the HS hockey team or playing football or basketball..NoB was too busy trying to get his rap career on track ..
I bet he looked kinda like this:
http://www.chartattack.com/files/inline-images/nardwuar/drake/kid_rock.jpg

KO'd N DOA
13th April 11, 10:15 AM
Truth.

We have a leaders debate during our election in Canada that they moved it because Hockey was more important.

OZZ
13th April 11, 07:46 PM
Truth.

We have a leaders debate during our election in Canada that they moved it because Hockey was more important.

Damn straight..I can't believe there is going to be another election. The Liberals are stupid..the Conservatives are going to win another minority and nothing is going to change.
People know Ignatieff is a weasel.
Who cares..its PLAYOFF TIME !!

NoBowie
13th April 11, 08:10 PM

Yes. Highschool Judo and Tennis.

I wore no pads and had a bunch of balls coming at my face.

FickleFingerOfFate
13th April 11, 08:13 PM
So, nothing substantive has changed.

OZZ
13th April 11, 08:25 PM
Yes. Highschool Judo and Tennis.

I wore no pads and had a bunch of balls coming at my face.

Not much of a team player, eh? Big surprise there.

OZZ
14th April 11, 10:39 AM
That game last night between the Canucks and the Blackhawks was a fast-paced affair. Exciting hockey..
Lou looks confident. The Hawks are not the team they were..I don't think they will take this thing beyond six games.

KO'd N DOA
15th April 11, 02:17 PM
So it will go at least 5 games.
OZZ, you were right. As long as the Habs play like they defending a powerplay, and have special teams, then they stand a shot. Looked like they played short handed, even when they had man advantage!
Boston didn't even try, and they outshot us.
Price will be the deciding factor. In the french press, they say that Price has grown up and wont be partying so hard this playoff.

OZZ
16th April 11, 08:18 PM
Chara out with the Flu ! How lucky for the Habs..if they can grab a 2 game series lead they will be rockin'.
Booosh saved the day for Philly this afternoon. Bobrovsky got yanked and Boosh only let in 1 g on 19 shots and made some big saves.
Flyers finally connected with one on the PP, but its pretty pathetic without Pronger running things. They are lucky to have tied the series today.

lant3rn
18th April 11, 03:52 PM
Chara is such a Pansie.... the flu, the fucking flu, ahahahahahahahaa.

Boston Gonna get swept out of the playoffs.

3-1 for Montreal tonight in their home opener.

Buffalo and Philly is a good series to watch as well.
Though, i am cheering for Buffalo in this one Ozz.

OZZ
18th April 11, 05:51 PM
Most people are..I'm used to not having many friends this time of year.
I hope Boucher gets the start tonight. I also hope Pronger gets back soon, damnit.
Whoever wins tonight between the Sabres and Flyers will probably win the series.

I am rooting for the Habs too..if Philly can't win the East, I'd like to see Montreal win it and play the Canucks in the final.
That would be so awesome.
I don't think its the same as last year though as far as the Habs go..Price has been stellar, but they are winning through an all-around team effort. Not just on the back of a hot goalie like they did, for the most part, with Halak last year.

OZZ
19th April 11, 11:58 AM
BOOOOSH !!
Huge win for the Flyers..

Despite the loss, I thought Price stood on his head last night too. It was silly to think the B's would go down without a fight. I still think this is Montreal's series though..
Looks like Phoenix's swan song is going to be a sweep at the hands of the Red Wings..ah well, who cares. They are coming home regardless.
The Blackhawks are going to come out skating hard tonight..Vancouver needs to make sure they don't give up an insurmountable lead early in the game. They are a different team when playing from behind.

FickleFingerOfFate
19th April 11, 01:22 PM
Wings have the Yotes on the ropes. Round 2, here we come!

KO'd N DOA
19th April 11, 01:37 PM
I might have a ticket to next Habs game...but wife is 8 months knocked up...so this will be a delicate evening convincing her I need a 'once in a lifetime'. These tickets are tough to get.

OZZ
19th April 11, 01:49 PM
Wings have the Yotes on the ropes. Round 2, here we come!

I was hoping the Yotes would make a better series out of it..I thought they might even pull off an upset. I guess not..
There was a really good article in Sports Illustrated a few weeks back. The author was pointing out how nice it would be for the Flyers to win a championship so that the whole Broad Street Bullies chapter could be closed and the franchise could get out from under the shadow of those teams from the 70's.
I completely agree. Its not like people will just forget about the Bullies, but a lot of good Flyer rosters since then have had the Bullies infamous rep hanging over them.
I'll always like hard , in your face hockey..and I know that is what management tries to deliver because their fans demand it. But I'd like for the organization to move on.
I was standing in line at a department store the other day and I had my Philly jersey on..some fat idiot missing his front teeth starts talking to me about how much he likes the Flyers. Then he says " Yeah, man..you know what they need, they need to build a team like they had back in the 70's. The old Broad Street Bullies..that's what they need to do to win a Cup."
I just shook my head and looked at him like he was an idiot, then stopped talking to him.
People like that who don't know anything about the modern game and think its 'cool' to cheer for a team that is/was known for being tough irritate me. Its Philly fans like that who give us all a bad name.
What a moron. No wonder someone punched his teeth out.

OZZ
19th April 11, 01:50 PM
I might have a ticket to next Habs game...but wife is 8 months knocked up...so this will be a delicate evening convincing her I need a 'once in a lifetime'. These tickets are tough to get.

Oh..you scored large if you get it.
Where is the seat located?

KO'd N DOA
19th April 11, 02:19 PM
But if I 'score' with the ticket...

It may in fact be the last time I score.

OZZ
19th April 11, 03:00 PM
Convince her to get one of her girlfriends to come over and spend the evening with her..

OZZ
20th April 11, 07:58 PM
I got screwed up.
I thought the Flyers-Sabres game was on TSN tonight, but its on TSN2 -which I don't have. So now I have to listen to it on the internet.
I also thought the next Habs-Bruins game was on CBC tonight, and its not! Pittsburgh vs. Tampa is on the early game and Detroit-Phoenix is the late game.
I guess I'll fall asleep to the late game..
Some sweet pics on CBC.ca
http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/photos/243#igImgId_4785
http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/photos/328#igImgId_3876
http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/photos/326#igImgId_4985
http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/photos/274#igImgId_3221
http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/photos/274#igImgId_3220
http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/photos/326#igImgId_4869
http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/photos/325#igImgId_3798

OZZ
20th April 11, 09:13 PM
FUUUCK !!!

FickleFingerOfFate
21st April 11, 04:28 AM
SWEEEEEP!!!!

OZZ
21st April 11, 11:47 AM
As much as I can't stand the team being in the desert..I was kind of hoping the Coyotes would put up a better fight since it may well be their last season in Phoenix.
The one guy on that team you have to feel for is Shane Doan. He's been with that franchise since their days in Winnipeg ; he's a true leader, solid player and a good captain and he's had to deal with so much adversity and futility with that organization. The poor guy has never won a playoff series...he was fighting right to the end last night. He is always good with the media, even though I'm sure he gets annoyed by the constant questions about the team's future and why they can't take things to the next level. I respect him for sticking things out.
I am not sure what his contract situation is right now, but I wouldn't blame him if he got the fuck out of there and tried to get on a contender before his playing days are over.
Bryzghalov has to take a good chunk of the blame for last night's loss, as well as the series as a whole. He underperformed and they really needed him to be at his best. His save % was below .900 and that's just not anywhere near good enough. He is set to become a free agent in the summer and that performance is going to lower his market value considerably.
Now the Red Wings can have a nice rest. They need it too..seeing as they are an older team.

KO'd N DOA
21st April 11, 03:07 PM
I also thought the next Habs-Bruins game was on CBC tonight, and its not! ]

Gametime in 4 hours...still waiting to see if my tickets come in, I am sure hockey games are fun in most arenas but in Montreal... it is a whole lot of raw unthinking hockey passion - just to boo Chara with 20,000 fans will be awesome...

Last game I saw there GSP came out to wave, my wife didn't know who he was, but the place went nuts.

Even thinking about a slim chance to go, makes me smile.

KO'd N DOA
21st April 11, 04:12 PM
THIS WORLD IS SO UNFAIR

I JINXERED IT when I taunted OZZ.

BAN PLZ!

lant3rn
22nd April 11, 11:05 AM
This must be what leafs fans feel like.

I wonder how they cope.

Last game they didn't play off the start.

This game they lost heart at the end.

C'est incroyable

OZZ
22nd April 11, 11:30 AM
Tough losses last night for both Canadian-based teams.
If Luongo caves the way he has in previous seasons, that is going to be a real shame.
So do they start Lou next game, or go with Schneider?
MAJOR blow to Luongo's ego if they start the backup. But as a coach..I would be more worried about my team getting eliminated than Lou's shaky confidence.

The Habs should have won that game, but the shoddy defense played by BOTH teams made it a free-for-all in the second half of the game.

Flyers need a big win tonight, Carter is injured, Richards is injured and majorly snake-bitten..I think Pronger may be coming back.
God, I hope so..

OZZ
22nd April 11, 08:17 PM
That first period was one of the most embarrassing spectacles from a Flyer's team I have ever seen. Boucher with no rebound control at all, two pathetic , bad-angle goals, players banging into their teammates, no strength on the puck, horrible defense.
Now Leighton is going to save the day??
Its 3-2 right now and I am so angry I want to smash my TV.
They had better come out strong in the third and redeem themselves by winning this game.

KO'd N DOA
23rd April 11, 07:31 AM
Boucher, what happened?

OZZ
23rd April 11, 02:37 PM
Boucher, what happened?

The Sabres scouting staff watched game tape and realized that Boucher cheats on the pass and doesn't cover the corner tightly enough on dump-ins - and they exploited it. Those were not fluke goals, they were intentional.
I feel bad for Boosh, he had been playing very well up to that point.
It wasn't just him though, that first period was a travesty for the orange and black..getting muscled oft he puck , outworked by guys who are 5'10, guys crashing into their teammates. Terrible, terrible, terrible!!
Give them credit for mounting a comeback..but that is a game they should have been pumped for and come out flying, forechcking hard and hammering the smaller team to wear them down. Instead, the Sabres were looking like the more physical team.
I know Richards is injured and he set up Briere's tying goal (nice pass) , but he HAS to start putting pucks in the net if they are going to survive the first round. He's hit the post, crossbar and been robbed by Miller's glove hand several times.
VanRiemsdyk has really stepped up and Giroux is playing great too..but I don't see a parade coming with these goaltending issues. it just won't happen.

I hope the Habs win tonight.

Japuma
23rd April 11, 07:47 PM
One series down, three to go.

OZZ
24th April 11, 07:46 PM
One series down, three to go.

The Caps made short work of NY..I didn't watch much of that series, but I give credit to Tortorella for getting the most out of a group of mainly youngsters and a superb goalie. I hate the Rangers, but Tort is a great coach. I like the fact that he doesn't suffer fools gladly with the media either..its nice to see someone put those guys in their place once in a while.

I usually think Laviolette is a fine coach, but so far in these playoffs he has done some questionable things with the Flyers. His choice of players to run the PP in Pronger's absence, not the best. Now this afternoon he starts Leighton just because Boucher had one bad game? BAD move..he's damn lucky that Boucher was able to bail them out.
I almost had a coronary watching that game..but I am glad they won to force a seventh game. It should be a dandy..

Its tied 1-1 in the Vancouver-Chicago game right now. I was a bit surprised to see Schneider in there..that's a pretty bold statement by Vigneault. Poor Lou ..his confidence must really be taking a hit on this one.

Good luck to the Canadiens KO..they're gonna need it.

KO'd N DOA
24th April 11, 08:35 PM
o

Its tied 1-1 in the Vancouver-Chicago game right now. I was a bit surprised to see Schneider in there..that's a pretty bold statement by Vigneault. Poor Lou ..his confidence must really be taking a hit on this one.

Good luck to the Canadiens tomorrow night KO..they're gonna need it.

Its tied 3 - 2 Van in the third, tempo of the game is getting fast now.

Game 7 is coming

OZZ
25th April 11, 10:42 AM
Jeez..poor Lou just can't catch a break. Even in a game he wasn't supposed to be starting he still ends up losing.
If the Canucks collapse at home next game, it will go down as one of the epic chokes in Pro sports history. Its much worse than the Bruins losing that series to Philly last year due to the fact that Vancouver finished first overall and was a favorite to win the Stanley Cup this year.
If they DO win, it will be such a huge monkey off their back that it will either result in them going out in the next round due to sheer mental and physical exhaustion, or getting their second wind and going all the way to the Finals.
Nashville finally won a playoff series! Nice.. I hate the Ducks.
Looking forward to Boston-Montreal tomorrow night. Go Habs !

OZZ
25th April 11, 12:10 PM
Oh, and of course..the Sabres are calling for a suspension on this one..

Connolly Doesn't Return After Serious Hit

TSN SPORTS

BUFFALO, N.Y. -- Tim Connolly has not returned for the third period of Game 6 of the Buffalo Sabres first-round series against the Philadelphia Flyers on Sunday.

Connolly was driven head-first into the corner boards by Flyers captain Mike Richards with 6:03 left in the second period. Connolly was chasing the puck into the corner and spent about two minutes prone on the ice before skating slowly to the dressing room.

Richards was assessed a two-minute boarding penalty on the play.

Buffalo, leading 3-2 in the series, was up 4-3 after two periods.

Connolly has a history of injury problems, including several concussions. One of the concussions forced him to miss the entire 2003-04 season.

The Sabres provided no update on Connolly's status.

To reiterate what I just posted over on TSN..I didn't like the hit. I am a huge Richards fan, as you all know. I do not think this is suspension-worthy and I will tell you why.
Players learn when they are in PEE WEE that the most dangerous place on the ice is the corners and you NEVER go in there trying to fish a puck out with your head down.
These guys are making millions of dollars to play one of the fastest, toughest and most intimidating sports in the world. They need to take responsibility for their own safety. Anyone who has ever laced up a pair of skates knows you don't do what Connoly did and they also know that in today's game players will intentionally position themselves with their backs to the opposing player in these situations because they think that fear of a penalty will keep the opposition from slamming them into the boards. In other words, they are relying on the refs whistle and the assumption that they know the mindset of every player in the league, for their safety.
This is nonsense.
Similar problems were occurring for years with the goalies coming out to play the puck and taking their time with it, turning their backs to the opposition because they knew they were 'off-limits', and goalies took advantage of this until the rule changes came in and limited their range outside the crease.
Players in the corners and along the boards sometimes do the same thing..at their peril. Its just dumb. Especially in a game like this with so much at stake.Mike Richards is a nasty player..if I'm going into the corner against him, I'm on my guard 100% of the time.
I learned this lesson the hard way myself the one and only year I played forward and got slammed into the boards head-first by a huge defenceman from Strathroy. He didn't even get a penalty because back then the onus was on the player to protect himself - even at that level.
So, sorry Connolly. I hope you are OK ..but next time KEEP YOUR HEAD UP. I said the same thing when Lindros got smoked for the second and third times.
This is a dangerous, tough sport. Play smart or you will get hurt.

Japuma
26th April 11, 12:24 PM
Man, the Pens looked flat and tired out there last night. I hope the Bolts trounce them tomorrow night.

KO'd N DOA
27th April 11, 02:01 PM
I unexpectantly scored tickets to the win last night. Reds, hundred of seats up, when they called back the goal I thought the entire place was going to storm the ice. For once Chara wasn't the most reviled person on skates.

Great Game. Hope we win...but man we looked tired the last 20 minutes. Back to back games are a killer.

In related news, riot police are planning in advance of tonights game. GO HABS GO!!!

(PS....I am in the dog house cause game messed plans, if I watch tonight, then I will have to agree to the Royal Wedding - ekkk)

OZZ
27th April 11, 02:02 PM
I had predicted a 5-3 win last night for the Flyers..I came pretty close!
The Flyers basically took the series over because the smaller Sabres started getting worn down and Miller was only ordinary the last two games. and the PP finally clicked last night with 2G. Laviolettee finally got smart and put Richards out on the point for the PP instead of down low and it paid off. He didn't score but got two big assists. In the absence of Pronger ( yes, he played, but only limited minutes and and was not a factor) it makes the most sense to have your best playmaker running things from the blue line on the powerplay. Briere continues to be a Sabre-killer and VanRiemsdyk and Giroux are finding good chemistry together. They are looking more and more like the team that went to the Finals last year...finally!
Boucher was solid last night. Guess who was the backup last night? Bobrovsky lol. CEE YA Leighton ! What a bum. What would the playoffs be without goaltending drama in Philly?
On to round 2..
The team I would least like them to play is Boston. Thomas has been pretty amazing and they would be extremely motivated to redeem themselves after the Flyers embarassed them last year.
I didn't watch much of the series between the Caps and NYR, but the Rangers are pretty limited offensively..so I am still skeptical of the Caps.
Vancouver !! Wow..talk about cutting it close. Toews picked a great time to finally score..Luongo must be feeling so relieved. I'm glad for him.
Let's hope Montreal takes it tonight..I'm not sure how things will break down if they win and Tampa wins. I think Pittsburgh might be running out of gas..
Nashville , Detroit, San Jose and Vancouver left in the wild West..
Its been a great first round. Good hockey.

KO'd N DOA
27th April 11, 11:26 PM
Stupid Boston. I can't stand them.

Thats the end of my hockey season.

*Flounce*

FickleFingerOfFate
28th April 11, 04:28 AM
Stupid Boston. I can't stand them.

Thats the end of my hockey season.

*Flounce*

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s298/FickleFingerOfFate/flounce.jpg

KO'd N DOA
28th April 11, 09:05 AM
^^
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to FickleFingerOfFate again.

I was into the Rickards Dark at the time, so drunk + rage post.

I have to choose a new playoff team...