PDA

View Full Version : hat questions

Ming Loyalist
29th September 10, 08:33 AM
i recently started wearing hats other than ball caps and watch caps, to go with the slightly nicer clothing i have been wearing (i.e. dress shirts and sometimes suits.)

i started off this summer with this straw hat from fred perry:

http://www.designerclothing.com/images/products/medium/1274082300-10249200.jpg

now that fall/winter is approaching i want to get something else and was looking at either the goon or one of the pork pies from this collection:

http://www.hatsinthebelfry.com/category/mens-belfry-basics-collection-hats.html

while i would appreciate tips about hat style, my primary question is of color and matching, i.e. can i wear a black hat with brown shoes and belt? should i go for a grey hat? get a brown *and* a black? these are fairly cheap so buying 2 is an option.

Spade: The Real Snake
29th September 10, 11:08 AM
I am sure some others will agree but you need to match your leathers: belt, watchband, shoes, first.

Next, depending upon how eclectic your style is.....generally speaking you don't want to mix black/grey with brown shoes or vice versa. You should be matching your hat to the rest of your wardrobe, ie your suit or trousers/sportcoat which in turn should be matching your shoes.

If you are wearing a brown/tan/khaki suit, you won't be wearing black shoes...or you fucking shouldn't be.....so your chapeau should be a brown shade of brown.

Conversely, if you are wearing a grey suit, you would likely be wearing black shoes and should match your hat to the rest of your attire, likely black or grey.

Ming Loyalist
29th September 10, 11:16 AM
yeah, i knew about the belt/shoes thing (screwed up today and wore black shoes with a brown belt today! dammit) but wasn't sure about the hats.

seems like i should get a brown and a black then.

29th September 10, 11:30 AM
yeah, i knew about the belt/shoes thing (screwed up today and wore black shoes with a brown belt today! dammit)
fucking Philistine....

but wasn't sure about the hats.
Overall, if you wear a pocket square, you want to match that to your tie.
If you wear a scarf in the winter, match that to the hat and topcoat. It will look much much nicer and present a dignified yet stylish appeal. Generally speaking, when wearing professional attire, you are limited as to the amount of "personalization" and "personality" that can show through. A vest, your tie....that's about it. Your hat is an awesome touch to show who and what you are and SRS chicks dig hats. It reminds them of a time when they were actually treated like ladies.

seems like i should get a brown and a black then.
in different styles so you don't look like you just want to Target and said "HOOKITUP SUCKAZ"

I like the black Goon and the brown Porkpie, but that's just me.

Now.....what color do you wear with an olive tint suit....if you have one?

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
29th September 10, 02:23 PM
generally speaking you don't want to mix black/grey with brown shoes or vice versa.

Nope.

You should be matching your hat to the rest of your wardrobe, ie your suit or trousers/sportcoat which in turn should be matching your shoes.

Nuh-uh.

If you are wearing a brown/tan/khaki suit, you won't be wearing black shoes...or you fucking shouldn't be.....so your chapeau should be a brown shade of brown.

Shut up.

Conversely, if you are wearing a grey suit, you would likely be wearing black shoes and should match your hat to the rest of your attire, likely black or grey.

Seriously just stop.

If you wear a scarf in the winter, match that to the hat and topcoat.

!!!

29th September 10, 02:25 PM
lol
yes, professional attire advice from the pizzaboy.

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
29th September 10, 02:39 PM
Here comes MJS with a piping hot serving of THE TRUTH.

There's no need to match colors in your outfit, every single piece could be a different color no matter how many pieces you're wearing so long as every color is complementary with one another, and anyway if you repeat the color so many times in one outfit you'll just look like a goth or a dumbass. Matching scarf, hat, and topcoat, what???

So anyway, hats. They've been out of mainstream fashion for so long that the good names today are the same as they were in the 40s; Borsalino and Stetson would be my go-to brands if I were going to get a hat. Get your first ones in neutral colors, which would be white, black, or gray, and then you can branch out to whatever jives with your wardrobe. Wear one of your suits or overcoats when you go shopping so you'll know the hat fits with them.

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
29th September 10, 02:49 PM
Look, people breaking BOIHOLE's rules.

http://img153.imageshack.us/img153/7351/62310lr5245web.jpg
http://img443.imageshack.us/img443/3443/11710bow2780web.jpg

29th September 10, 02:53 PM
Here comes MJS with a piping hot serving of THE TRUTH. with extra cheese, plz

There's no need to match colors in your outfit, every single piece could be a different color no matter how many pieces you're wearing so long as every color is complementary with one another, and anyway if you repeat the color so many times in one outfit you'll just look like a goth or a dumbass. Perhaps you misunderstood, I am not advocating for him to look like the head programmer in Grandma's boy and correct, they need to be complimentary and black and brown are not complimentary, they are base colors to build from and then choose complimentary from there.

However purple and yellow are complimentary colors to one another....should he wear a purple suit and yellor shirt?

Bear in mind, he works in a professional office, not in a creativity centered career. He doesn't need to be breaking fashion rules in this setting, lest he catch the notice of his superiors for all the wrong reasons.

Matching scarf, hat, and topcoat, what??? did I state monchromatic? However if he is wearing a camel topcoat with a black suit, he is gonna look like a fucking hillbilly rube. He needs to have his winter scarves be able to match his topcoats and hats, not the same topcoat regardless as to the suit or hat he is wearing.

Get your first ones in neutral colors, which would be white, black, or gray, and then you can branch out to whatever jives with your wardrobe. I agree with neutral colors but I would stay away from white, for the office. Unless you want endless "pimp" jokes. Unless, of course, you go with that Purple suit/yellow shirt idea, then fuck yea, get you a white hat

Wear one of your suits or overcoats when you go shopping so you'll know the hat fits with them Good advice.

29th September 10, 02:55 PM

Nice. Hook me up with two of them outfits.

^^
not dressed for the office, which is where Ming works.
However that fa66ot can probably hook me up with a latte or find some manner of obscure vinyl or direct me to the Hentai section of the comic shop.

Ming Loyalist
29th September 10, 03:03 PM
actually my office is pretty casual (i can certainly get away with t-shirt/jeans/sneakers if i please) however i am trying to dress up a bit once or twice a week, so people know that i can.

29th September 10, 03:04 PM
I thought you worked on Wall Street....where did I get that idea?

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
29th September 10, 03:06 PM
black and brown are not complimentary

They can be. The black/brown rule only ever applies to leather and even then I've seen it violated in casual outfits and still look good.

they are base colors to build from and then choose complimentary from there.

They can be embellishment colors, who says they can't? I built an outfit last week whose base color was blue and incidentally featured flashes of both brown and black.

Bear in mind, he works in a professional office, not in a creativity centered career. He doesn't need to be breaking fashion rules in this setting, lest he catch the notice of his superiors for all the wrong reasons.

He shouldn't dress like a wallflower either. Get a gray tweed suit and chestnut brown shoes and hat, Ming.

However if he is wearing a camel topcoat with a black suit, he is gonna look like a fucking hillbilly rube.

I think it could work.

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
29th September 10, 03:09 PM
not dressed for the office, which is where Ming works.
However that fa66ot can probably hook me up with a latte or find some manner of obscure vinyl or direct me to the Hentai section of the comic shop.

I don't think his outfit looks good, although he's close. I was just pointing out his colors.

Shotgun Christening
29th September 10, 03:13 PM
why is anyone posting in this thread besides MJS? Hes our expert and a better dresser than all of us.

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
29th September 10, 03:15 PM
Now you're just being sarcastic.

Ming Loyalist
29th September 10, 03:18 PM
I thought you worked on Wall Street....where did I get that idea?

i actually work 1 block from the new york stock exchange and get off the subway at the wall st. station, but work for a hip, young startup that is now becoming a mid sized company and hiring some guys in suits. i want those guys in suits to know that i can dress well because that affects how those sorts of guys judge people.

also i'm almost 40 now and want to expand my wardrobe.

TheMightyMcClaw
29th September 10, 03:26 PM
However purple and yellow are complimentary colors to one another....should he wear a purple suit and yellor shirt?

Fuck yeah he should. Best advice on this whole thread so far.

29th September 10, 03:30 PM
I don't think his outfit looks good, although he's close. I was just pointing out his colors.
His outfit looks much better than the Shriner's you posted above him.

i actually work 1 block from the new york stock exchange and get off the subway at the wall st. station, but work for a hip, young startup that is now becoming a mid sized company and hiring some guys in suits. i want those guys in suits to know that i can dress well because that affects how those sorts of guys judge people.

also i'm almost 40 now and want to expand my wardrobe.
Truth be told, I come into this from a much more conservative profession, so my view is tainted by that.

So err in the middle, I would guess. My suggestions will be more business professional and Sama's will be more street hip.

They can be. The black/brown rule only ever applies to leather and even then I've seen it violated in casual outfits and still look good.

They can be embellishment colors, who says they can't? I built an outfit last week whose base color was blue and incidentally featured flashes of both brown and black.
I put these two together.
Generally, the leather is going to build off and compliment the base color which inherently will need to work on the same rule. Something like navy can lean either brown or black with leather. Now, if you are talking accent colors in the tie, it is possible to have a tie feature notes of brown despite wearing a grey suit with black leathers, but it isn't the feature color.

He shouldn't dress like a wallflower either. Get a gray tweed suit and chestnut brown shoes and hat, Ming.

Since his office is much less conservative then I presumed, fuck it. Do it.

why is anyone posting in this thread besides MJS? Hes our expert and a better dresser than all of us.
I see my use of the words "fucking hillbilly rube" has summoned you.

TheMightyMcClaw
29th September 10, 03:40 PM

Pics please.

29th September 10, 03:41 PM
Oh McClaw you whore

Harpy
29th September 10, 03:42 PM
So Ming, are you going to loiter outside the office till everyone sees you wearing your hat?

Is there someone else at the office who wears hats regularly and are you going to look like a copy cat?

Ming Loyalist
29th September 10, 04:09 PM
So Ming, are you going to loiter outside the office till everyone sees you wearing your hat?

Is there someone else at the office who wears hats regularly and are you going to look like a copy cat?

no need to loiter, people will see me or they won't. i just don't like wearing a baseball cap with dress shirts or suits.

there's another guy here who wears hats regularly but since i wore my hat on the days i came to interview here, i am not risking looking like a copycat.

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
29th September 10, 04:09 PM
His outfit looks much better than the Shriner's you posted above him.

The dude on the left is a mess but his colors are fine and that's what we were talking about. The dude on the right had a cool suit but his shoes are sinfully terrible.

Generally, the leather is going to build off and compliment the base color which inherently will need to work on the same rule. Something like navy can lean either brown or black with leather. Now, if you are talking accent colors in the tie, it is possible to have a tie feature notes of brown despite wearing a grey suit with black leathers, but it isn't the feature color.

The leather can be the foundation of your outfit too, though. I think you could build an outfit around any piece, even something like a plain crewneck sweater or a solid color pant.

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
29th September 10, 04:13 PM
Pics please.

Is this the one you wanted?
http://img340.imageshack.us/img340/9600/aaaaaho.jpg

29th September 10, 04:20 PM
The dude on the left is a mess but his colors are fine and that's what we were talking about. The dude on the right had a cool suit but his shoes are sinfully terrible.
He isn't wearing his jacket, his jacket is wearing him. He looks as if he should be selling some manner of used product on the auspices it is as good as a new product.
The only other reasonable answer for that blazer is he won a professional bowler's championship.

And those aren't shoes, those are the male equivalent of Hello Kitty slippers

The leather can be the foundation of your outfit too, though. I think you could build an outfit around any piece, even something like a plain crewneck sweater or a solid color pant.
Maybe, MAYBE a nice pair of boots...but not a belt. And the more busy the ensemble around the boots, the less noticeable the intended focal point.

The further you move away from a professional setting, the closer to being correct you are. Again, I was operating in the mindset that Ming was in a more conservative conventional office. He is in the middle, so while he need not play as tight as I suggested, he need not be as loose as you.

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
29th September 10, 04:36 PM
He isn't wearing his jacket, his jacket is wearing him. He looks as if he should be selling some manner of used product on the auspices it is as good as a new product.
The only other reasonable answer for that blazer is he won a professional bowler's championship.

And those aren't shoes, those are the male equivalent of Hello Kitty slippers

Which guy?

Maybe, MAYBE a nice pair of boots...but not a belt.

Or shoes... and yes, a belt. You can definitely build an outfit around one, although it's a pretty strange way to build an outfit.

Ajamil
29th September 10, 04:38 PM
Are you wearing a form shaper? Is the butt padded?

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
29th September 10, 04:40 PM
No?

29th September 10, 04:43 PM
Which guy?
The Winner of the PGA (http://blog.al.com/golf/2009/04/large_Green%20jackets.jpg)

Or shoes... and yes, a belt. You can definitely build an outfit around one, although it's a pretty strange way to build an outfit.
that's my point, sometimes simplicity is stylish in its simplicity

Ajamil
29th September 10, 04:52 PM
Your butt looks weird in the second photo - are you tilted onto one side of your hip?

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
29th September 10, 06:11 PM
duh

Adouglasmhor
29th September 10, 06:27 PM
I am sure some others will agree but you need to match your leathers: belt, watchband, shoes, first.

Next, depending upon how eclectic your style is.....generally speaking you don't want to mix black/grey with brown shoes or vice versa. You should be matching your hat to the rest of your wardrobe, ie your suit or trousers/sportcoat which in turn should be matching your shoes.

Watchband doesn't count, because most men would only have had one watch in the days the rules were made. Seriously.

Adouglasmhor
29th September 10, 06:31 PM
fucking Philistine....

If you wear a scarf in the winter, match that to the hat and topcoat. It will look much much nicer and present a dignified yet stylish appeal. Generally speaking, when wearing professional attire, you are limited as to the amount of "personalization" and "personality" that can show through. A vest, your tie....that's about it. Your hat is an awesome touch to show who and what you are and SRS chicks dig hats. It reminds them of a time when they were actually treated like ladies.

in different styles so you don't look like you just want to Target and said "HOOKITUP SUCKAZ"

I like the black Goon and the brown Porkpie, but that's just me.

Now.....what color do you wear with an olive tint suit....if you have one?

Don't match pocket square with tie - they should compliment but not match.
http://www.mademan.com/mm/pocket-square-etiquette.html
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=25083

Adouglasmhor
29th September 10, 06:33 PM

So who are you on ask andy ?

Adouglasmhor
29th September 10, 06:35 PM
with extra cheese, plz

Perhaps you misunderstood, I am not advocating for him to look like the head programmer in Grandma's boy and correct, they need to be complimentary and black and brown are not complimentary, they are base colors to build from and then choose complimentary from there.

did I state monchromatic? However if he is wearing a camel topcoat with a black suit, he is gonna look like a fucking hillbilly rube. He needs to have his winter scarves be able to match his topcoats and hats, not the same topcoat regardless as to the suit or hat he is wearing.

I agree with neutral colors but I would stay away from white, for the office. Unless you want endless "pimp" jokes. Unless, of course, you go with that Purple suit/yellow shirt idea, then fuck yea, get you a white hat

Good advice.

If he is wearing a solid black suit he is going to look like a rube anyway or an extra from an english gangster film.

29th September 10, 06:36 PM
Watchband doesn't count, because most men would only have had one watch in the days the rules were made. Seriously.
Watchband counts. (http://www.suitsociety.com/match-your-shoes-belt-and-watchband-triple-points/)

The watchband. The only jewellery a man is allowed to wear deservers a bit of attention. Try to match the colour of your watchband with the colours of your shoes and belt. At SuitSociety, we understand that time management is crucial in the morning, so spare yourself the hassle: try to find a watchband for your watch in black and brown, so you have separate watchbands for your basic colour ways. However, a metal (f.e. titanium) or totally different colour watchband may also be worn as a decent accessory to your style combination

In the days before rules were made, gentlemen used pocket watches

Adouglasmhor
29th September 10, 06:46 PM
The rules were updated in the days when the wristwatch became popular.
Before that braces were worn by gentlemen not belts.
Suits did not always match but were still suits.

Adouglasmhor
29th September 10, 06:48 PM
The watchband. The only jewellery a man is allowed to wear deservers a bit of attention.

That's from your link, so no cufflinks or tie bar?
They are full of it.

Neildo
29th September 10, 06:55 PM
i should get a titanium suit and cap to go with my watch

Frank White
29th September 10, 11:40 PM
If he is wearing a solid black suit he is going to look like a rube anyway or an extra from an english gangster film.

what's wrong with that? Besides, a man needs to own a black suit, and he can build his wardrobe off of that.

this here's a jaxon with the brim cut down (follow a coin along the edge of the hat with a white pencil and then cut along the pencil line). you can probably buy them like that now though, wherever Ed Hardy shirts are sold.

http://img3.imageshack.us/img3/7498/hathom.jpg (http://img3.imageshack.us/i/hathom.jpg/)
Uploaded with ImageShack.us (http://imageshack.us)

Adouglasmhor
30th September 10, 12:52 AM
Solid black business suits often look green in artificial light, makes them look cheap and the wearer look ill (Asian guys can get away with it and most people with darker skin if you are white seriously no go), a subtle pinstripe or check can lift it though, black suit's traditional only for undertakers and mourners, this is a tradition that is observed even more in the USA than in the UK and Europe, black is also associated with eveningwear as opposed to serious stuff. but a plain black suit is no substitute for a tuxedo though many people try to get away with it.
Plus it is unbelievably boring.

bob
30th September 10, 12:58 AM
i recently started wearing hats other than ball caps and watch caps, to go with the slightly nicer clothing i have been wearing (i.e. dress shirts and sometimes suits.)

i started off this summer with this straw hat from fred perry:

http://www.designerclothing.com/images/products/medium/1274082300-10249200.jpg

now that fall/winter is approaching i want to get something else and was looking at either the goon or one of the pork pies from this collection:

http://www.hatsinthebelfry.com/category/mens-belfry-basics-collection-hats.html

while i would appreciate tips about hat style, my primary question is of color and matching, i.e. can i wear a black hat with brown shoes and belt? should i go for a grey hat? get a brown *and* a black? these are fairly cheap so buying 2 is an option.

You're going bald aren't you?

Shotgun Christening
30th September 10, 04:47 AM
Now you're just being sarcastic.

Actually, no. Why would I ask BOIHOLE about Taoism when I have Der who is an expert?

30th September 10, 10:33 AM
That's from your link, so no cufflinks or tie bar?
They are full of it.
not jewelry.
accessories.

Ming Loyalist
30th September 10, 11:25 AM
You're going bald aren't you?

little bit, but it seems to have stabilized. that's not why i like wearing hats though.

Adouglasmhor
30th September 10, 01:00 PM
actually my office is pretty casual (i can certainly get away with t-shirt/jeans/sneakers if i please) however i am trying to dress up a bit once or twice a week, so people know that i can.

Are you using the dress for the job you want instead of the job you are in approach?

30th September 10, 01:10 PM
Are you using the dress for the job you want instead of the job you are in approach?

That's what I took from this:

young startup that is now becoming a mid sized company and hiring some guys in suits. i want those guys in suits to know that i can dress well because that affects how those sorts of guys judge people.

Adouglasmhor
30th September 10, 01:23 PM
not jewelry.
accessories.
Jewellery is part of accessorising, as are neckwear, pocket square or buttonhole, watch and maybe even eyewear. So yes jewellery.

Adouglasmhor
30th September 10, 01:23 PM
That's what I took from this:
Well we have agreed at least once in this thread. then.

30th September 10, 01:26 PM
Jewellery is part of accessorising, as are neckwear, pocket square or buttonhole, watch and maybe even eyewear. So yes jewellery. Jewelry is worn upon the body, such as a bracelet, necklace, earrings, fingerrings. A belt, necktie, pocket square, lapel pin, tieclasp are worn upon the clothing and as such are accessories for the clothing.
so no.

Adouglasmhor
30th September 10, 01:48 PM
Jewelry is worn upon the body, such as a bracelet, necklace, earrings, fingerrings. A belt, necktie, pocket square, lapel pin, tieclasp are worn upon the clothing and as such are accessories for the clothing.
so no.

So a brooch is not jewellery? You are just wrong, a ring can be worn over a glove, a necklace can be worn over a top or a shirt.
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/jewelry
Nothing there about how or where it is worn.

Ming Loyalist
30th September 10, 02:24 PM

boihole has the correct. i am definitely taking that approach here.

30th September 10, 03:10 PM
So a brooch is not jewellery?
You are the correct on this one.

You are just wrong, a ring can be worn over a glove, a necklace can be worn over a top or a shirt.

you were saying about the gangster films, again?

Adouglasmhor
30th September 10, 03:27 PM
Links sources? Nah thought not.

30th September 10, 03:52 PM
Links sources? Nah thought not.
link for what, exactly?

Adouglasmhor
4th October 10, 01:40 AM
link for what, exactly?

A definition of jewellery that specifically excludes things pinned to clothes.
unlike this
http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/brooch

Or 7 on this list http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/pin

or this
http://wordnetweb.princeton.edu/perl/webwn?s=tie%20clip

Accessory
http://mw1.m-w.com/dictionary/accessory doesn't seem to me to exclude jewellery.
And this definitely seems to include "accessories"
http://mw1.m-w.com/dictionary/jewelry