PDA

View Full Version : No Virginia, the earth is 10k years old.

Shotgun Christening
25th September 10, 07:34 PM
So this morning I was watching a TV show about how the earth was formed and how land masses changed over the eons. During a commercial break my oldest daughter asked me "Isnt the earth like 6000 years old?"
I asked her where she had heard that, knowing full well where she had heard it, and she replied "Sunday School last week"

Now, Im not a very or even semi religious person but MOM34 is. I didnt want to out and out tell her that her sunday school teacher was a batshit crazy bitch so I took the high road. (read "High Road" as I wanted to get laid sometime this weekend since MOM34 bought a new s3xy t1m3 outfit)

I told her that the earth was about 4.5 billion years old. She said that her SS teacher told her that the earth was created in 7 days. I explained to her that time isnt relavent to God and that a million years is but a blink to him. I also explained that God created the universe based on scientific principles and man used the scientific principles to date the earth. She said that, that made sense to her.

I later explained to MOM34 what had transpired and told her that if the subject came up in SS again, my oldest would undoubtedly repeat what I said. I then informed MOM34 that if it became a problem with the SS teacher I was going to put my foot down and not let the kids go back to that class. I explained that I dont want the kids to get the wrong "facts" fed to them by some overzealous housewife that makes sure dinner is on the table for hubby when he gets home.

Well.......now she (MOM34) is a tad bit frazzled with me. Did I do the wrong thing? I havent told them there is no Santa Claus either, so I dont see the harm in mixing truth with religious supposition.

Cullion
25th September 10, 07:39 PM
Be prepared to discuss the evidence for each hypothesis. You have stronger evidence on your side. I'm sure your wife loves your children enough to not want them to grow up believing demonstrably untrue things, but it may well be the case that these truths have never been demonstrated to her.

She may be quite rightly concerned about the endgame. The endgame is where cynical, disturbed people use a stupid literal interpretation of the Bible to try and refute all it's ethical wisdom in order to create a broken society that seems entirely rational if you're willing to sacrifice truth and beauty to the machine god.

Tell your wife that.

Ajamil
25th September 10, 08:06 PM
Tell you daughter the Earth is mother to us all, and it's not right to talk about a lady's age like that.

jubei33
25th September 10, 09:26 PM
^"keep your pagan deities away from my children!!"

Kein Haar
25th September 10, 10:30 PM
Black kids go to sunday school?

I thought they were dragged by their ears to the adult services several times per week.

Ajamil
25th September 10, 10:31 PM
Who mentioned deities? I'm talking about respect.

SFGOON
25th September 10, 11:40 PM
My wife is in the bedroom loudly crying right now because I won't let her get another dog.

She can get as mad as she wants, but the answer is and will always be no.

How do I cope? Simple, by not coping. Instead, I relish her emotional agony. The key is to make her feel stupid and clumsy. She will have less energy for disagreeing with you if she's always depressed.

EuropIan
26th September 10, 12:20 AM
http://zs1.smbc-comics.com/comics/20100919.gif

bob
26th September 10, 12:20 AM
I'm going to need a little more information if I'm going to help you here. Describe your wife's new outfit in detail please.

Robstafarian
26th September 10, 12:58 AM
Your actions were completely justified, and you didn't go too far. Honestly, I would've gone further.

I would tell MOM34 that the Sunday School teacher is attempting to give your daughter a medieval mindset which will cause her to feel feel alienated from, and threatened by, modern existence. Consider how many present advocates of Mad Bishop Ussher's Chronology (the most likely source of the Sunday School teacher's claim) are manifestly ignorant of Epistemology and Ontology. Hell, most of them don't even know the claim comes from a 17th century Anglican.

Shotgun Christening
26th September 10, 07:17 AM
Be prepared to discuss the evidence for each hypothesis. You have stronger evidence on your side. I'm sure your wife loves your children enough to not want them to grow up believing demonstrably untrue things, but it may well be the case that these truths have never been demonstrated to her.

I think its a matter of, she doesnt want to know or discuss it because it will force her to rethink her stance and her realital perception.

She may be quite rightly concerned about the endgame. The endgame is where cynical, disturbed people use a stupid literal interpretation of the Bible to try and refute all it's ethical wisdom in order to create a broken society that seems entirely rational if you're willing to sacrifice truth and beauty to the machine god.

Tell your wife that.

I know what her response will be to this. She'll roll her eyes and shake her head slightly. She is a very linear thinker. Abstract arguments or examples are lost on her. Dont think she isnt smart, because she is very "book smart".

Tell you daughter the Earth is mother to us all, and it's not right to talk about a lady's age like that.

LOL. That would be funny but then Id have to explain it.

Black kids go to sunday school?

I thought they were dragged by their ears to the adult services several times per week.

Thats old school negro religion.

Shotgun Christening
26th September 10, 07:20 AM
My wife is in the bedroom loudly crying right now because I won't let her get another dog.

She can get as mad as she wants, but the answer is and will always be no.

How do I cope? Simple, by not coping. Instead, I relish her emotional agony. The key is to make her feel stupid and clumsy. She will have less energy for disagreeing with you if she's always depressed.

This is funyy because I know its true.

I'm going to need a little more information if I'm going to help you here. Describe your wife's new outfit in detail please.

Black leather with silver studs. The bra allows her breasts to hang out leaving access to her nipples.
The pantie part has an opening in it for acces to her softy lady part. It also comes with thigh high black stockings and ten feet of black silk rope.

Shotgun Christening
26th September 10, 07:24 AM
Your actions were completely justified, and you didn't go too far. Honestly, I would've gone further.

My older brother said he would have gotten the bible out and gone ahead and shown her where she was wrong. He wouldve used charts, graphs and loads of empirical evidence to go ahead an cleanse the poison from her mind.

I would tell MOM34 that the Sunday School teacher is attempting to give your daughter a medieval mindset which will cause her to feel feel alienated from, and threatened by, modern existence. Consider how many present advocates of Mad Bishop Ussher's Chronology (the most likely source of the Sunday School teacher's claim) are manifestly ignorant of Epistemology and Ontology. Hell, most of them don't even know the claim comes from a 17th century Anglican.

My concern is that this idea is a widely held belief in the church, and is being disseminated from the top down.
Im not sure if MOM34 knows what she believes about it.

Robstafarian
26th September 10, 05:00 PM
My concern is that this idea is a widely held belief in the church, and is being disseminated from the top down.
“Time to get out of Dodge,” as the saying goes. I hope the situation improves quickly.

EuropIan
26th September 10, 05:31 PM
Why is your kid going to sunday school?

Is it just to get them out of the house and socialize?

Shotgun Christening
26th September 10, 05:35 PM
Why is your kid going to sunday school?

Is it just to get them out of the house and socialize?

MOM34 takes them to church each Sunday. They have Sunday School and then preaching service. I dont go.

EuropIan
26th September 10, 05:38 PM
yeah, but why sunday school?

Harpy
26th September 10, 05:40 PM
Have your children ever asked you why you don't attend church service?

Artful Dentures
26th September 10, 08:43 PM
There are potentially good things in religion, Scientific truth isn't one of them.

DON'T bother arguing with your wife. It's not worth it and you can't win.

Just constantly talk with your daughter and don't let her get programmed.

It's your daughter you need to focus on not your wife. It's too late for her, just love her regardless of her crazies and get on with things

ICY
27th September 10, 02:22 AM
I usually say something like "Different people believe different things and that's OK, but I don't agree with the teacher/your mom/grandma and here's what I think, blah blah..." mind you I don't have to deal with this sort of shit with my own kids yet so it doesn't enter into me getting laid.

Getting Laid>Intellectual Courage, For Sure

bob
27th September 10, 02:50 AM
I seriously think there's a lot to be said for banging a woman with fundamentalist ideas. Oh, sure it might make the dinner table a little awkward at times but those Old Testament females knew how to live.

I'm betting BM gets a certain schoolboy pleasure out of defiling his holy wife.

Shotgun Christening
27th September 10, 05:57 AM
yeah, but why sunday school?

I think Im missing your point.

Have your children ever asked you why you don't attend church service?

My children know that they dont have the right to ask me "why", I do or dont do anything.

There are potentially good things in religion, Scientific truth isn't one of them.

DON'T bother arguing with your wife. It's not worth it and you can't win.

Just constantly talk with your daughter and don't let her get programmed.

It's your daughter you need to focus on not your wife. It's too late for her, just love her regardless of her crazies and get on with things

Too late....LOL. Thats funny. Im just going to have to put her down tomorrow.

I have decided that I will now ask what they discussed in church today when they get home.

Shotgun Christening
27th September 10, 05:58 AM
Getting Laid>Intellectual Courage, For Sure

Agreed

Cullion
27th September 10, 05:58 AM
Why do you care what a woman thinks anyway ?

Shotgun Christening
27th September 10, 06:00 AM
I seriously think there's a lot to be said for banging a woman with fundamentalist ideas. Oh, sure it might make the dinner table a little awkward at times but those Old Testament females knew how to live.

I'm betting BM gets a certain schoolboy pleasure out of defiling his holy wife.

She does have some hangups but Ive got her headed in the right direction in das b3dr00m.
She isnt as holy as you guys think. She enjoys a Daquiri or two and uses profanity on the rare occasion. I have corrupted her to a small degree.

Shotgun Christening
27th September 10, 06:00 AM
Why do you care what a woman thinks anyway ?

Because I wont cheat on her, and masterbation gets old.

SoulMechanic
27th September 10, 06:13 AM
Ah yes, Sunday school. The only time the lunch lady gets to teach the fucking class.
Amazing how two hours of mostly bullshit can manage to successfully negate thirty six hours of schooling. This is what I would tell oldmom if she was my woman.

Harpy
27th September 10, 06:22 AM
My children know that they dont have the right to ask me "why", I do or dont do anything.

Aren't you enlightened...

Cullion
27th September 10, 07:14 AM
Because I wont cheat on her, and masterbation gets old.

She witholds sex based on your agreement with her abstract metaphysical ideas ?

That can work two ways you know.

Cullion
27th September 10, 10:52 AM
How does mormon culture treat a woman who abandons her husband for another guy when their husband hasn't abused them or cheated on them ?

EuropIan
27th September 10, 11:26 AM
I think Im missing your point.

I am not trying to make a point, I genuinely curious as to what positive aspects sunday school gives other than "OW34 won't put out if I tell them to find an alternative"?

Robot Jesus
27th September 10, 01:10 PM
do your kids like harry potter?
does the church teach them not to suffer a witch to live?

Shotgun Christening
27th September 10, 01:51 PM
She witholds sex based on your agreement with her abstract metaphysical ideas ?

That can work two ways you know.

She wont withold sex but she had JUST purchased this outfit not three hours before and I wanted to make sure I didnt start an argument that would lead to a lackluster sexual interlude.

I am not trying to make a point, I genuinely curious as to what positive aspects sunday school gives other than "OW34 won't put out if I tell them to find an alternative"?

I dont see many positive aspects to it, but Im jaded from years of misuse.

enlightened

I didnt ask my dad "why" he did something. I guess I could have but at that point in time I valued my life.

do your kids like harry potter?
does the church teach them not to suffer a witch to live?

They are reading the books and watching the movies. MOM34 is ok with it and has even read them herself. She isnt spooky about D&D and Harry Potter and other such things. She isnt uber religious, but she doesnt want me to tell them that I dont believe in Jesus

Cullion
27th September 10, 01:58 PM
She wont withold sex but she had JUST purchased this outfit not three hours before and I wanted to make sure I didnt start an argument that would lead to a lackluster sexual interlude.

In Plato's Republic, Socrates describes the passing of his sex drive with old age as being 'released from the jaws of a wild beast'.

Take strength, and remember that she has a sex drive too. Don't let her treat it like a precious treasure that she allows you to handle at her whim.

They are reading the books and watching the movies. MOM34 is ok with it and has even read them herself. She isnt spooky about D&D and Harry Potter and other such things. She isnt uber religious, but she doesnt want me to tell them that I dont believe in Jesus

I was raised in a household with one parent a devout Catholic and one a non-noisy but convinced atheist who only attended church for family events just to be polite. It really doesn't have to be all that difficult.

Shotgun Christening
27th September 10, 02:25 PM
In Plato's Republic, Socrates describes the passing of his sex drive with old age as being 'released from the jaws of a wild beast'.

Take strength, and remember that she has a sex drive too. Don't let her treat it like a precious treasure that she allows you to handle at her whim.

If you say so.

I was raised in a household with one parent a devout Catholic and one a non-noisy but convinced atheist who only attended church for family events just to be polite. It really doesn't have to be all that difficult.

Other than the Catholic part, its pretty much like that here

Kiko
27th September 10, 02:58 PM
"Why?" is one of a kids' best questions about anything. How the hell are they gonna learn if they don't ask questions? They're probably not challenging you, they are just being curious. Geeze.

But you're STILL not getting any neg rep for all this nonsense.

Harpy
27th September 10, 03:29 PM
^ Exactly. Isn't having an open channel of communication important?

They probably have it instilled that adults and figures of authority (eg. Sunday school teacher, pastor, father) should not be questioned due to some unknown fear or the possibility of getting smacked.

I'm sure they don't give you mouth but I'd rather hear what they say then believe their silence suggests obedience or understanding of your methods.

Or maybe I'm reading too much into this Oldie?

EvilSteve
27th September 10, 04:18 PM
I say you just insist on equal time- if they're going to go to Sunday school to learn about Christianity, then they should also learn about the Elder Gods - Cthulhu, Shub-Niggurath, Dagon...

Hmm.. Dagon...

You know, on second thought, I don't like where this is going. Never mind.

SoulMechanic
27th September 10, 04:30 PM
"Why?" is one of a kids' best questions about anything. How the hell are they gonna learn if they don't ask questions? They're probably not challenging you, they are just being curious. Geeze.

I agree with this. But if the child is out of line or gets lippy, set pimphand to stun.

Harpy
27th September 10, 04:34 PM
Smacking is a short-term solution. You're proof of that Dola.

Kiko
27th September 10, 04:37 PM
Hey some questions deserve an answer...

http://trollcats.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/daddy_drinks_because_you_cry_trollcat.jpg

How else will they learn?

SoulMechanic
27th September 10, 04:40 PM
You have no idea what a shitty little kid I was. I took my lumps and deserved at least half of them. Believe it or not I actually turned out a well mannered polite man IRL. But if you step out of line I will knock your dick in the dirt. Well, attempt to.

Shotgun Christening
27th September 10, 06:15 PM
^ Exactly. Isn't having an open channel of communication important?

They probably have it instilled that adults and figures of authority (eg. Sunday school teacher, pastor, father) should not be questioned due to some unknown fear or the possibility of getting smacked.

I'm sure they don't give you mouth but I'd rather hear what they say then believe their silence suggests obedience or understanding of your methods.

Or maybe I'm reading too much into this Oldie?

Big difference between asking me "why" on a personal question and asking me why the sky is blue. It isnt a question they are prepared to hear the answer for.
They know that adults should garner some respect and they use yes sir and no sir and yes maam and no maam. They hold doors open for adults and the boy gets up and lets women have his seat Its things they learned from me and see me do.
They also know that not all adults are a source of correct information and they come to me for clarification.

I see your point though. I was once asked wny I still smoked when I know its bad for me. I told them that I was an adult and could weigh the good vs the bad. I then told them that when they reached the age of 18 they could make that decision for themselves.

Without you knowing me its hard to get my point across. The kids know there are some things they dont ask about me. Hard to explain.

Shotgun Christening
27th September 10, 06:16 PM
I say you just insist on equal time- if they're going to go to Sunday school to learn about Christianity, then they should also learn about the Elder Gods - Cthulhu, Shub-Niggurath, Dagon...

Hmm.. Dagon...

You know, on second thought, I don't like where this is going. Never mind.

The oldest boy knows about Cthulu from gaming. LOL

Shotgun Christening
27th September 10, 06:17 PM

But you're STILL not getting any neg rep for all this nonsense.

u ba no yo place beatch. NO IT!!!1!!1!!11!

Robstafarian
27th September 10, 06:44 PM
Big difference between asking me "why" on a personal question and asking me why the sky is blue. It isnt a question they are prepared to hear the answer for. [...] The kids know there are some things they dont ask about me. Hard to explain.
I understand your point, but you may want to reconsider this as your children age. By the time they're....say....26 years old, such withholding could become a point of contention.

Shotgun Christening
27th September 10, 06:51 PM
I understand your point, but you may want to reconsider this as your children age. By the time they're....say....26 years old, such withholding could become a point of contention.

Maybe...we'll see

Vieux Normand
1st October 10, 10:54 AM
The endgame is where cynical, disturbed people use a stupid literal interpretation of the Bible to try and refute all it's ethical wisdom in order to create a broken society that seems entirely rational if you're willing to sacrifice truth and beauty to the machine god.

Indeed. One can find much ethical wisdom in the bible, just as one can in other works of fiction. One doesn't take other works of fiction literally, why do so with the bible?

Kiko
1st October 10, 12:42 PM
You may think you're teaching them to respect authority, BM34, but what they'll be learning is that for whatever reason, they don't matter as much until they're a certain age. By the time they've reached that age, they may decide you don't matter at all.

Adouglasmhor
1st October 10, 03:12 PM
Maybe...we'll see

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to BM.COM again.

That is what my dad used to say.

Shotgun Christening
1st October 10, 04:10 PM
You may think you're teaching them to respect authority, BM34, but what they'll be learning is that for whatever reason, they don't matter as much until they're a certain age. By the time they've reached that age, they may decide you don't matter at all.

Should I tell my children what its like to brain pan someone?
Should I tell them there is no Santa Claus?
Should I tell them what its like to see a person you know die in your arms?
Should I tell them that the Easter Bunny isnt real?
Should I tell them how it feels to watch your child die?
Should I tell them what child abductors do to the children they steal?

What do you keep from them and what do you hide?

When are they old enough to understand certain things and when arent they?

Sometimes its best that they simply understand that they dont have to know "why" but they simply have to accept my say in the matter.

Cullion
1st October 10, 06:46 PM
I'm not religious but my children are educated at Chuch of England run schools at the moment, because those were the best local schools I could find without trying to find 20k per child per year in after tax money for private school fees.

My daughter is enthusiastic about being the school nativity play each year.

I don't see any reason to lecture her about it. She hasn't asked me anything about the Bible yet, if she does I'll tell her that adults have different ideas about it but I'm one of the ones who doesn't think most of the stories really happened.

Iscariot
1st October 10, 07:27 PM
How did I miss this thread?

First thing you should do is get in your car and drive down to your local social services building and tell them you need to give up all your children because you're an unfit parent. You wouldn't let me come around and convince the kids that they should build a pyramid in the back garden to the Dark Lord Imhotep or the goblins would come around at night and peel the flesh from their bones would you? Would you let me convert them to a religion where they believed that if you spiritually advanced far enough on a cruise ship you could kill people with mind bullets? Then why the fuck are you letting them be taken advantage of by repressive idiots who have not a shred of evidence for their bullshit? You know better, it's your responsibility to look out for your children until they can assess this shit critically.

As for the missus, take apart every single argument and Christian Apologetic and wipe out this delusional thinking in a repressive, power hungry, abusive faith. Do that and the sex will get better, nihilistic sex is much better than the sinning against religion sex.

Would you let your children be taught moral lessons from a graphic history of the Khmer Rouge? Because the bible has just as much genocide, mass killings, repression, incest, paedophilia, bigotry and logical fallacies as the history of the world as taught by South Park.

It's not a valid comparison to compare the religion of the nailed god to Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny because you know full well that one day you'll tell your kids that Santa and the Easter Bunny are bullshit and prove it to them, the fanatics of the nailed god who are indoctrinating your children have no intention of doing the same.

Cullion
1st October 10, 07:43 PM
Thank you for channelling Richard Dawkins into this thread. Were you sexually interfered with by a priest too ?

Ajamil
1st October 10, 11:56 PM
BM!! You could have a pyramid in your backyard!

Robstafarian
2nd October 10, 12:15 AM
There are many Old Ones, and H. Philip Lovecraft is their prophet.

Connie Stone: Dammit, Phil, everybody's gotta compromise!
Phil Lovecraft: That's what I keep hearing.
Connie Stone: And what makes you so special?
Phil Lovecraft: What makes me special is I'm my own man. When I started out, I said there were things I'd do and things I wouldn't do. A lot of guys start out like that, and a lot of them sell out along the way. But the more who fall, the easier it gets. "See, look, everybody compromises, everybody cheats, everybody uses magic." So they empty their ideals out of their pockets and get down to the job of sticking it to their neighbors before they stick it to them, because that's that way it's done. To all of which I say "nuts." My collar may be a little frayed, and maybe I need a shoeshine. But nobody's got a mortgage on my soul. I own it, free and clear.

Kiko
2nd October 10, 05:18 AM
Should I tell my children what its like to brain pan someone?
Should I tell them there is no Santa Claus?
Should I tell them what its like to see a person you know die in your arms?
Should I tell them that the Easter Bunny isnt real?
Should I tell them how it feels to watch your child die?
Should I tell them what child abductors do to the children they steal?

What do you keep from them and what do you hide?

When are they old enough to understand certain things and when arent they?

Sometimes its best that they simply understand that they dont have to know "why" but they simply have to accept my say in the matter.

If they're old enough to ask about something, on their own without having been told things (say by older kids at school) then they're probably ready to hear at least a simple basic answer. One of the best parts of being a parent is being their first teacher. If you'd rather shrug that off, then that's your choice.

They'll be more used to getting the same treatment later in life I suppose.

Shotgun Christening
2nd October 10, 05:55 AM

Thats what I took out of that post too! Hell yeah! Im gonna need some blocks.

Shotgun Christening
2nd October 10, 05:58 AM
If they're old enough to ask about something, on their own without having been told things (say by older kids at school) then they're probably ready to hear at least a simple basic answer. One of the best parts of being a parent is being their first teacher. If you'd rather shrug that off, then that's your choice.

They'll be more used to getting the same treatment later in life I suppose.

If they ask me where babies come from, I will tell them. It isnt a personal question. If they ask me why I dont go to Church they wont get anything other than, "I just dont".
Im not saying this applies to everything. Im saying that the children dont have the right to question me on my personal decisions.

Shotgun Christening
2nd October 10, 06:03 AM
How did I miss this thread?

First thing you should do is get in your car and drive down to your local social services building and tell them you need to give up all your children because you're an unfit parent. You wouldn't let me come around and convince the kids that they should build a pyramid in the back garden to the Dark Lord Imhotep or the goblins would come around at night and peel the flesh from their bones would you? Would you let me convert them to a religion where they believed that if you spiritually advanced far enough on a cruise ship you could kill people with mind bullets? Then why the fuck are you letting them be taken advantage of by repressive idiots who have not a shred of evidence for their bullshit? You know better, it's your responsibility to look out for your children until they can assess this shit critically.

As for the missus, take apart every single argument and Christian Apologetic and wipe out this delusional thinking in a repressive, power hungry, abusive faith. Do that and the sex will get better, nihilistic sex is much better than the sinning against religion sex.

Would you let your children be taught moral lessons from a graphic history of the Khmer Rouge? Because the bible has just as much genocide, mass killings, repression, incest, paedophilia, bigotry and logical fallacies as the history of the world as taught by South Park.

It's not a valid comparison to compare the religion of the nailed god to Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny because you know full well that one day you'll tell your kids that Santa and the Easter Bunny are bullshit and prove it to them, the fanatics of the nailed god who are indoctrinating your children have no intention of doing the same.

You have an EXTREMELY valid point. However, the dynamics of the situation are more complicated than that.
My arguments against their religion and its teachings are far beyond their current understanding. It wouldnt translate. The other reason (the main ones that changed my mind about God forever) arent fit for their ears yet.

Fearless Ukemi
2nd October 10, 10:53 AM
My understanding of Genesis is that is not the story of creation. It is actually the story of a recreation.

The planet Earth and a universe were already in existence before the creative process of Genesis 1:3 through 1:31 even begins. Earth had already existed for an unspecified period of time.

The physics of time, space, and matter are already established, which by extension means that the processes which regulate radioactive decay (the half life principle) are also in effect.

At some undetermined time, death and the powers of darkness came into being before Adam.

Iscariot
2nd October 10, 11:47 PM
You have an EXTREMELY valid point. However, the dynamics of the situation are more complicated than that.
My arguments against their religion and its teachings are far beyond their current understanding. It wouldnt translate. The other reason (the main ones that changed my mind about God forever) arent fit for their ears yet.
And? But? So? Therefore?

When the kids want more junk food do you go into a PhD. level power point presentation about the damage of transfats on the interior of blood vessels over the course of 10 years backed up by peer reviewed data? Or do you just go "No, it's bad for you"?

Guess which approach you should be taking to people indoctrinating your children?

Cullion
3rd October 10, 08:55 AM
One of the people is his wife. You mustn't forget that.

Robot Jesus
3rd October 10, 02:15 PM
And? But? So? Therefore?

When the kids want more junk food do you go into a PhD. level power point presentation about the damage of transfats on the interior of blood vessels over the course of 10 years backed up by peer reviewed data? Or do you just go "No, it's bad for you"?

Guess which approach you should be taking to people indoctrinating your children?

in Medium Raw Bordain has a whole chapter about how he strongly implies to his daughter, but never out right states, that Ronald McDonald has cooties, smells like poo, and his hamburgers might turn you into a retard.

perhaps similar propaganda techniques could be employed?

Shotgun Christening
4th October 10, 03:23 AM
in Medium Raw Bordain has a whole chapter about how he strongly implies to his daughter, but never out right states, that Ronald McDonald has cooties, smells like poo, and his hamburgers might turn you into a retard.

Thats the approach Im taking. I dont go for outright sedition. I use a more subvertive tactic.

Aphid Jones
5th October 10, 11:29 PM
Why don't you talk to your wife about taking your kids to a better church?

WarPhalange
5th October 10, 11:49 PM

I hate that kind of shit. You call them on it and they say "I never said that!!1" Fucking assholes too chickenshit to just outright state something.

Robot Jesus
6th October 10, 12:12 AM
his goal is to instill fear, not certainty. if she can identify where an idea came from she an deal with it rationally, but if it's just an idea she's always felt it's harder to dismiss. Ronald is a very dirty trick, the only reasonable response is to dig up a CIA paper on propaganda; learn what you can.

Cullion
6th October 10, 06:09 PM
I hate that kind of shit. You call them on it and they say "I never said that!!1" Fucking assholes too chickenshit to just outright state something.

This, coming from a 20-something who's never had sex, is funny.

Harpy
6th October 10, 06:34 PM
I have a 31 year old male friend who is still a virgin. It isn't remotely funny anymore.

SoulMechanic
6th October 10, 06:54 PM
I have a 31 year old male friend who is still a virgin. It isn't remotely funny anymore.
I bet everybody was laughing when you married his sorry ass though.

Harpy
6th October 10, 07:14 PM
Dola - were you really married before? Did you have a big church wedding, the big
white dress (your wife, not you) and the whole shebang?

SoulMechanic
6th October 10, 07:59 PM
Yes I had a very nice wedding. Not in a church, on the beach on Coronado Island. No, I am too embarrassed to scan any wedding pictures. I married young and divorced after 3 years.

Harpy
6th October 10, 08:19 PM
At least you've got enough romance in you to propose and go for it.

Robstafarian
7th October 10, 12:37 AM
I am in the "not funny, but not bothersome either" stage...and have been for years. Of course, this means that all hope of it not being an issue in a relationship is lost.*

*The worst part is that this tends to attract "fundamentalists" who are about as repugnant as picking pieces of some guy's skull off the back seat of Chevy Nova. Yeah, I'm the kind of 20-something virgin that makes oblique references to long-past-obscure Quentin Tarantino movies.

Shotgun Christening
7th October 10, 05:44 AM
I am in the "not funny, but not bothersome either" stage...and have been for years. Of course, this means that all hope of it not being an issue in a relationship is lost.*

*The worst part is that this tends to attract "fundamentalists" who are about as repugnant as picking pieces of some guy's skull off the back seat of Chevy Nova. Yeah, I'm the kind of 20-something virgin that makes oblique references to long-past-obscure Quentin Tarantino movies.

Why are you a virgin?

KO'd N DOA
7th October 10, 07:54 AM
I always wonder what the rush is in throwing children into the world of Nihilism and who will not care for them, or witness things - like alluded to in the list of things they are not ready to hear.

There is something to be said about maintain a semblence of cultural christianity, whereby the children will be able to communicate with grandparents, or understand cutural relects, like holidays, funerals, marriages, etc.

I've seen where my friend from non-religious households have departed from using reason and rationality, and have joined other religions - Islam, Mormons, Wiccans, much to the dissapointment of their nominally christianized parents.

You can't for all your good intentions, force them to be believers, or to be non-believers.

Shotgun Christening
7th October 10, 02:40 PM
I always wonder what the rush is in throwing children into the world of Nihilism and who will not care for them, or witness things - like alluded to in the list of things they are not ready to hear.

Possible syntax error here. Could you repeat it or at the very least dumb it down for me?

There is something to be said about maintain a semblence of cultural christianity, whereby the children will be able to communicate with grandparents, or understand cutural relects, like holidays, funerals, marriages, etc.

I agree. I hadnt ever been able to put it into words but you seem to have done it well enough.

I've seen where my friend from non-religious households have departed from using reason and rationality, and have joined other religions - Islam, Mormons, Wiccans, much to the dissapointment of their nominally christianized parents.

I have dissappointed my parents in so many other ways.

You can't for all your good intentions, force them to be believers, or to be non-believers.

This is why Im not too worried. My brothers and I were all raised in a fairly strict Christian home ( my mother actually tried to exorcise a demon from my older brother after he had been arrested. She did it right there in the holding area) yet none of the three of us holds any real love for religion of any sort.

Aphid Jones
7th October 10, 02:41 PM
understand cutural relects, like holidays, funerals, marriages, etc.

Exactly when do you expect these things to become cultural relics?

Shotgun Christening
7th October 10, 02:42 PM
Why don't you talk to your wife about taking your kids to a better church?

That would possibly require me to have to go and check out the new Church. Im not interested.

Shotgun Christening
7th October 10, 02:45 PM

I think he is using the word as in "a part of a culture"

Cullion
7th October 10, 03:00 PM
That would possibly require me to have to go and check out the new Church. Im not interested.

IIRC, you used to be a believer (you mentioned being involved in church social and youth organisations). Do you mind if I ask what it was that turned you against it ?

(If this relates to your family tragedy, I'll completely understand silence on the subject).

Ajamil
7th October 10, 04:41 PM
That would possibly require me to have to go and check out the new Church. Im not interested.Check out the nearest Unitarian Chruch. They will be able to cater to both your wife's Christian side and your Atheist side, and not be dicks about either one.

Shotgun Christening
7th October 10, 04:59 PM
IIRC, you used to be a believer (you mentioned being involved in church social and youth organisations). Do you mind if I ask what it was that turned you against it ?

(If this relates to your family tragedy, I'll completely understand silence on the subject).

I lost my job making fries at McDonalds. The manager gave it to one of his church buddies. I just got to clean the restrooms.

Shotgun Christening
7th October 10, 05:00 PM
Check out the nearest Unitarian Chruch. They will be able to cater to both your wife's Christian side and your Atheist side, and not be dicks about either one.

Id be better off asking her to become a Muslim than to ask her to change sects.

Robstafarian
7th October 10, 05:09 PM
Why are you a virgin?
Because the only woman who ever wanted to have sex with me (not that I've gotten around at all in the last five years) was a drop dead gorgeous French exchange student who was so irresponsible that she smoked pot in the school parking lot. She once came to class stoned, when we had a substitute teacher, and spent the entire class touching me in odd ways (maybe she thought she was tickling me) and trying to sit on my lap. Not in a fun way, but in a really loud and obnoxious way.

I wanted her like no teenage guy wanted anyone ever, but I wasn't going to risk a felony charge for her. In retrospect, I'm glad I haven't spent the last eight years knowing what I'm missing.

Cullion
7th October 10, 05:15 PM
Id be better off asking her to become a Muslim than to ask her to change sects.

Does she respect the biblical texts about how a man is the head of a family ?

If so, we could cook up our own denomination, right here. Make it just how we want it. And make it convincing too.

Cullion
7th October 10, 05:16 PM
Because the only woman who ever wanted to have sex with me (not that I've gotten around at all in the last five years) was a drop dead gorgeous French exchange student who was so irresponsible that she smoked pot in the school parking lot. She once came to class stoned, when we had a substitute teacher, and spent the entire class touching me in odd ways (maybe she thought she was tickling me) and trying to sit on my lap. Not in a fun way, but in a really loud and obnoxious way.

I wanted her like no teenage guy wanted anyone ever, but I wasn't going to risk a felony charge for her. In retrospect, I'm glad I haven't spent the last eight years knowing what I'm missing.

You. Are. Possibly. The. Dumbest. Person. I've. Ever. Encountered.

Ajamil
7th October 10, 05:41 PM
Id be better off asking her to become a Muslim than to ask her to change sects.Going to a Unitarian Church wouldn't change your sect.

Shotgun Christening
7th October 10, 06:07 PM
Does she respect the biblical texts about how a man is the head of a family ?

If so, we could cook up our own denomination, right here. Make it just how we want it. And make it convincing too.

She does, and she is reading your posts over my shoulder right now.
She said to tell you, nice try.

I know...."nice try" Jesus H.....she could have at least swore a bit.

Shotgun Christening
7th October 10, 06:09 PM

Since you arent in prison, look around and tell me what color the bricks in your moms basement are.

Robstafarian
7th October 10, 06:51 PM
I was in a small town in Texas, the police force of which was well known for hassling teenagers as though they had to fill a quota. I also lived in fear that the uniformed fucktards would pull over the car in which I was riding and be too stupid to understand that I failed a field sobriety test because I have a neuromuscular disorder.

The French girl in question carried no less than a dime bag on her person at all times, and had a mighty big stash at her host's home. Walking with her down a street would be risking that someone (quite possibly the aforementioned corrupt police department) would see her smoking a joint and make an issue of it. My parents didn't have the money for a criminal defense.

Risking one's future, and possibly one's life, for sex is a level of stupidity to which I won't sink...and was smart enough to avoid when I was 17.

Robstafarian
7th October 10, 06:57 PM
Since you arent in prison, look around and tell me what color the bricks in your moms basement are.
The wallpaper is beige with brown ascents, featuring a pattern so damn awful that it's a good thing I don't look at it much. Oh, and I'm on the top floor of a tri-level house.

I am so utterly fucked that selling everything I own wouldn't get me out of the situation I'm in, and suicide is a much more viable option than travel. I am not suicidal, per se, but I've pretty much run out of reasons to live. All I've got left is three reasons not to die. :gaysmiley:

Despite the fact that I've written this, I'm not looking for attention and I don't want to talk about it. I might talk to someone who can miracle my ass out of this, like Richard Branson (or anyone else with copious funds), but outside of that it's pointless.

bob
7th October 10, 07:20 PM
The wallpaper is beige with brown ascents, featuring a pattern so damn awful that it's a good thing I don't look at it much. Oh, and I'm on the top floor of a tri-level house.

I am so utterly fucked that selling everything I own wouldn't get me out of the situation I'm in, and suicide is a much more viable option than travel. I am not suicidal, per se, but I've pretty much run out of reasons to live. All I've got left is three reasons not to die. :gaysmiley:

Despite the fact that I've written this, I'm not looking for attention and I don't want to talk about it. I might talk to someone who can miracle my ass out of this, like Richard Branson (or anyone else with copious funds), but outside of that it's pointless.

Just as well you didn't put this future at risk back when you were 17.

SoulMechanic
7th October 10, 08:15 PM
The French girl in question carried no less than a dime bag on her person at all times, and had a mighty big stash at her host's home. Walking with her down a street would be risking that someone (quite possibly the aforementioned corrupt police department) would see her smoking a joint and make an issue of it. My parents didn't have the money for a criminal defense.

Risking one's future, and possibly one's life, for sex is a level of stupidity to which I won't sink...and was smart enough to avoid when I was 17.
Judging by your user handle and bullshido avatar I am guessing your stance on pot possession has greatly changed since high school.

Robstafarian
7th October 10, 09:59 PM
Judging by your user handle and bullshido avatar I am guessing your stance on pot possession has greatly changed since high school.
Not a bit, actually. I am still very much in favor of legalizing marijuana, including the right to cultivate, but I'm not about to do anything that would get my crippled self put in prison. As bad as things are now, I still don't have to worry about being raped.

KO'd N DOA
7th October 10, 10:55 PM
Possible syntax error here. Could you repeat it or at the very least dumb it down for me?

That Holy Smoke movie with Kate and Harvey, got me thinking about the mechanics of transferal of religion from generation to another, and what lengths people would go to ensure it happening.

Cullion
8th October 10, 05:39 AM
I was in a small town in Texas, the police force of which was well known for hassling teenagers as though they had to fill a quota. I also lived in fear that the uniformed fucktards would pull over the car in which I was riding and be too stupid to understand that I failed a field sobriety test because I have a neuromuscular disorder.

It would have been worth it. Yes it would.

Shotgun Christening
8th October 10, 05:53 AM

Like Harry Potter at the Weasleys house. COOL!

I am so utterly fucked that selling everything I own wouldn't get me out of the situation I'm in, and suicide is a much more viable option than travel. I am not suicidal, per se, but I've pretty much run out of reasons to live. All I've got left is three reasons not to die.

Its flattering that Im one your reasons.

I wont interfere if you want to off yourself.

Shotgun Christening
8th October 10, 05:55 AM
That Holy Smoke movie with Kate and Harvey, got me thinking about the mechanics of transferal of religion from generation to another, and what lengths people would go to ensure it happening.

Ill have ti watch that. Is there any nudity? (female nudity, Im not into dudity)

Cullion
8th October 10, 05:56 AM
Anybody who's considering killing themselves should just stop worrying and live a little.
You can't really make things much worse. It might even cheer you up.

Obsessively worrying about what the police might do to the point that you turn down the chance at what sounded like it would've been some delicious sex is pretty stupid. No wonder you're miserable. You're trapped in a world of your own anxiety.

Shotgun Christening
8th October 10, 06:05 AM
Anybody who's considering killing themselves should just stop worrying and live a little.
You can't really make things much worse. It might even cheer you up.

Obsessively worrying about what the police might do to the point that you turn down the chance at what sounded like it would've been some delicious sex is pretty stupid. No wonder you're miserable. You're trapped in a world of your own anxiety.

Could you be my new therapist?

KO'd N DOA
8th October 10, 06:39 AM

How about sometime in 2012?

KO'd N DOA
8th October 10, 06:46 AM
Ill have ti watch that. Is there any nudity? (female nudity, Im not into dudity)

Been a while so I can't say how much nudity, but it is listed as an erotic drama - so there is something that gave it that title. Wait - ya full frontal nudity IIR. Dudity? I have no idea.
I'm not saying plunk the whole clan down infront of the television Sunday afternoon for an education, cause there are few things I needed to have explained to me after watching it, and i was in my 20's.

Actually on second thought...don't watch it.

Robstafarian
8th October 10, 01:57 PM
You must have missed the part where I said that I was 17 at the time and am now a "20-something." The episode with the French girl was nine years ago.

There's a significant difference between being cautious and obsessively worrying about something; one need not be obsessed with gravity to know not to play dodge ball at the edge of a cliff.

Now let's all go back to not caring about a total stranger. :jerkit2yf:

Kiko
8th October 10, 02:12 PM
...dudity....?

Shotgun Christening
8th October 10, 02:49 PM
...dudity....?

Dude Nudity.

I call it dudity.

Harpy
8th October 10, 03:01 PM
Rob - don't let the pricks get you down. Most of them are thinking of other women (or men) when they get into bed with their own wife.

Plus you should really take stock of what you have and count dozens more reasons for living.

SoulMechanic
8th October 10, 04:19 PM
Dudity has been placed in my permanent vocabulary.

Ajamil
8th October 10, 04:37 PM
Dude Nudity.

I call it dudity.Urban dictionary? I was put in a book for a word today. I should head over there.

Robot Jesus
8th October 10, 05:18 PM
BM, what does you wife think of your concern?

bob
8th October 10, 05:20 PM
What does your wife think about being married to someone who's going to hell? (srs question).

Shotgun Christening
8th October 10, 06:31 PM
BM, what does you wife think of your concern?

She understands my concern and is ok with me (after much discussion) telling my kids the scientific truth behind things like this. I cant come right out and say "ther is no God". I cant prove that anyway so it would hurt my argument of "burden of proof"

Shotgun Christening
8th October 10, 06:41 PM
What does your wife think about being married to someone who's going to hell? (srs question).

We havent ever discussed her feelings on it. She knows that I am back to my old self, but I think she fears a logical discussion on the topic of God. She knows what examples I would use, so she shys away from it.
Merely conjecture on my part, but I know her pretty well after 21 years.

Kiko
10th October 10, 07:18 AM
Change the topic a bit and this fits...

http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/airfoil.png

Cullion
10th October 10, 08:08 AM

My parents have been married for approaching 40 years with my mother as a devout catholic and my father as an atheist. The religious partner can fairly easily rationialise that the atheist is 'basically a decent person who follows the commandments' and 'God is forgiving' etc..

Ajamil
10th October 10, 08:15 AM
I would imagine it has to do with the self-supplied thrust. Gliders can't stay upside down, but they can loop and roll with enough speed. Once fighter jets get to speed, orientation seems to be ignored in terms of elevation control.

Perhaps they just correct with the elevators, like tacking against the wind.

WarPhalange
10th October 10, 08:01 PM

Awright! That finally puts me at #2!

bob
11th October 10, 12:02 AM
My parents have been married for approaching 40 years with my mother as a devout catholic and my father as an atheist. The religious partner can fairly easily rationialise that the atheist is 'basically a decent person who follows the commandments' and 'God is forgiving' etc..

As I understand Catholic doctrine there's enough wiggle room to say 'really, it's up to God to decide, not us.'

I doubt Mrs BM's church offers the same kind of leeway.

Shotgun Christening
11th October 10, 06:03 AM
As I understand Catholic doctrine there's enough wiggle room to say 'really, it's up to God to decide, not us.'

I doubt Mrs BM's church offers the same kind of leeway.

You would have the c0rr3ct on that.

Cullion
11th October 10, 07:23 AM

That's kind of true, but it's not quite how it works in practice. Working class Catholics like my mum and her siblings tend not to have a detailed understanding of catholic theology or doctrine. Most things they know about their religion is learned from sheer repetition of prayers and pieces of creed during Mass, supplemented by sermons on ethics or brief circulars written by the pope on some issue which are read out by the priest.

A lot of them have never read the bible themselves, even the ones who attend church 1 or more times a week and regularly pray on their own. Many of them have at least one serious issue that they disagree with the church on.

In practice, if a catholic in a liberal first world country wants to marry a non-catholic, then the priest in question may require the non-Catholic to go through the motions of conversion to Catholicism (it doesn't involve memorising much and there's no penis surgery involved), or he may just give them a few quasi-religious talks about 'commitment' before marrying them.

After that, there's no pressure for that partner to attend Church. Most catholic priests' primary concern is going to be ensuring that a catholic married in a catholic church stays married, rather than badgering them about why their partner doesn't believe all the same things.

Kiko
11th October 10, 12:17 PM
There's also the part about raising the kids as little Catholics.

Cullion
11th October 10, 12:24 PM
Yes, that too. Until 16.

Kiko
11th October 10, 12:26 PM
Well, you can't really tell them what to believe after a certain point, can you?

Ajamil
11th October 10, 03:00 PM
Well, you can't really tell them what to believe after a certain point, can you?All of politics and propaganda disagree with you.

bob
11th October 10, 03:32 PM
There's also the part about raising the kids as little Catholics.

Yeah, my brother married a catholic. Well, she's not even really practising but she wanted the local priest who she'd known all her life to perform the ceremony. So he had to attend a few re-education sessions.

To me, the gist of it seemed to be that they'd pretty much given up on his immortal soul but he had to promise he wouldn't drag the kids down with him.

Cullion
11th October 10, 03:36 PM
All of politics and propaganda disagree with you.

Most effective propaganda practised against literate, cynical western populations doesn't really work on the basis of 'you must believe this' just stated blatantly.

Ajamil
11th October 10, 03:43 PM
Simply a more roundabout way of telling them.

Kiko
11th October 10, 06:47 PM
"We stamp them when they're small...."

Vieux Normand
12th October 10, 10:30 AM
Isn't "Give us a child for the first six years and he will be ours for life" a jesuit saying?

Kiko
12th October 10, 12:56 PM
Dunno about that. Nuns usually deal with the little ones, Jesuits are to into philosophy and debate, which is usually better absorbed by older minds.

Just watch the Blues Brothers....

jkdbuck76
15th October 10, 06:16 AM
You would have the c0rr3ct on that.

Southern Baptists???

Robot Jesus
15th October 10, 08:45 AM
I had a friend in highschool who was from a catholic/united church family. when he was little they would alternate between the two churches every week. the priest took issue so they stopped going to his church. When I met him he was devoutly religious, he lost his faith in about a year.

Shotgun Christening
15th October 10, 09:17 AM
Southern Baptists???

Damn youre good.

Actually it was pretty easy....when I think close minded, religious zealotry in America, I think the SBC.

Robstafarian
15th October 10, 11:08 AM
Actually it was pretty easy....when I think close minded, religious zealotry in America, I think the SBC.
It is a damn shame that takeover was allowed to happen. "Blessed are the peace makers" is a great way to have everything you've worked for destroyed in the name of organized blasphemy.