PDA

View Full Version : Waste Watt ,want Watt

Shotgun Christening
16th September 10, 05:48 PM
Recently MOM34 and I got into another...umm, discussion about her inability to turn off the lights, tv, etc in a room after she leaves it and isnt going to be back for a while. She does the same thing when she leaves for work. All the outside lights are on, the TV is on, and I know which rooms she has been in because those lights are on. I told her that there are kids in Africa who would LOVE to have the electricity she is wasting.

This trait seems to be genetic, since all 4 of our children do this. Im not a "green" freak but, this bugs the shit out of me. I ask and ask but I get ignored.

Does anyone else have this problem and how do/did you handle it?

WarPhalange
16th September 10, 05:54 PM
Does anyone else have this problem and how do/did you handle it?

My mom has a problem with the TV being off. She NEEDS it to be on, even if she's doing something completely different. The silence freaks her out, I guess.

My roommate, on the other hand, has a disability that prevents him from closing the microwave door after he's taken the food out of it. He just leaves it open with the light on day and night. Luckily he is moving out next month.

FickleFingerOfFate
16th September 10, 06:18 PM
My mom has a problem with the TV being off. She NEEDS it to be on, even if she's doing something completely different. The silence freaks her out, I guess.

My roommate, on the other hand, has a disability that prevents him from closing the microwave door after he's taken the food out of it. He just leaves it open with the light on day and night. Luckily he is moving out next month.

So, then you'll just have mom and the TV to contend with....

Spade: The Real Snake
16th September 10, 06:54 PM
http://images.cableorganizer.com/leviton/decora/decora-occupancy-sensor_lg.jpg

close thread plx

FickleFingerOfFate
16th September 10, 07:07 PM
http://photo.minghui.org/images/u_persecution/torture_means/images/2002-1-27-kuxing8.gif

close thread plx

Shotgun Christening
16th September 10, 07:20 PM
http://images.cableorganizer.com/leviton/decora/decora-occupancy-sensor_lg.jpg

close thread plx

Have one in the guest nathroom. Cindy put tape over the sensor. Nice try though

SoulMechanic
16th September 10, 09:03 PM
Make a cool thread about the bass playing skills of Mike Watt.

FickleFingerOfFate
16th September 10, 09:05 PM

Say Watt?

16th September 10, 10:10 PM
Have one in the guest nathroom (http://rogergastman.com/wp-content/uploads/outhouse.jpg). Cindy put tape over the sensor. Nice try though

a "moon" cut into the door =/= as an occupancy sensor

Ajamil
16th September 10, 11:45 PM
I was forced to turn on every light in the house, then turn them all off, then do that routine four more times.

SoulMechanic
16th September 10, 11:55 PM
What I used to do with my old roommate was every time the dumb bastard would leave a light on I would unscrew the bulb and hide it. He learned pretty quickly. People are similar to dogs, if that method would not have worked I would have rubbed his face into some shit.

SFGOON
17th September 10, 12:19 AM
What I used to do with my old roommate was every time the dumb bastard would leave a light on I would unscrew the bulb and hide it. He learned pretty quickly. People are similar to dogs, if that method would not have worked I would have rubbed his face into some shit.

This will work.

Both hiding the bulb and the shit-smearing.

Harpy
17th September 10, 01:22 AM
Hiding the bulb where exactly?

BM - do your children get allowances? Tie their energy use and habits directly into this, voilą. As for Mom34, once it's you + 4 she's going to have to get with the majority. Have a family discussion about why it's important and get the kids committed.

SoulMechanic
17th September 10, 02:18 AM
The trunk of my car.

WarPhalange
17th September 10, 02:27 AM

That's a good idea. The thing I hate about my apartment, though, is that we don't have many windows, so some lights have to be on constantly or else we can't see shit.

SoulMechanic
17th September 10, 02:30 AM
L.E.D. light on your key chain. Please Poops do not become an enabler

FickleFingerOfFate
17th September 10, 04:15 AM
That's a good idea. The thing I hate about my Mom's Basement, though, is that we don't have many windows, so some lights have to be on constantly or else we can't see shit.

Shotgun Christening
17th September 10, 04:39 AM

Watt are you talking about?

Shotgun Christening
17th September 10, 04:43 AM
Hiding the bulb where exactly?

BM - do your children get allowances? Tie their energy use and habits directly into this, voilą. As for Mom34, once it's you + 4 she's going to have to get with the majority. Have a family discussion about why it's important and get the kids committed.

Allowance? Yeah, they get to eat for free and have a place to sleep. Maybe I could starve them.
I should talk to them about it why I want them off. I mean a real talk not a "im gonna beet tha nextest wun hoo leeves the lahts own".
As far as MOM34 goes....she wouldnt care if Cthulu came and told her to stop doing it.

Shotgun Christening
17th September 10, 04:44 AM
That's a good idea. The thing I hate about my apartment, though, is that we don't have many windows, so some lights have to be on constantly or else we can't see shit.

Are there piles of it randomly strewn throughout your apartment? To me that would be more of a concern than the light thing. Just sayin'

17th September 10, 08:58 AM
So far I am reading this:

Mom34 is the big bux earner and Oldie is her bitch.

Scrapper
17th September 10, 09:06 AM
I am an energy auditor, consultant, etc. for Johnson Controls. I do energy studies all day long, and develop conservation projects all over the US.

I still can't get my wife to turn a light off. Ever. Ceiling fans too.

I'm thinking of borrowing some dataloggers from work and trending teh consumption over a month with her leaving the lights on, and then a month with me keeping them off.

It'll probably just piss her off.

WarPhalange
17th September 10, 10:53 AM
Are there piles of it randomly strewn throughout your apartment? To me that would be more of a concern than the light thing. Just sayin'

Might as well be. I made a thread about my roommate some time ago. Take a gander if you're interested.

WarPhalange
17th September 10, 10:55 AM
L.E.D. light on your key chain. Please Poops do not become an enabler

Why would I have my keys with me when I get up in the middle of the night for to go pee pee? Or really, any other time that I am not about to leave the apartment or have just come back?

Don't sweat it, though, they are fluorescent light bulbs, so they like, make trees when they are on, right?

Shotgun Christening
17th September 10, 03:22 PM
Might as well be. I made a thread about my roommate some time ago. Take a gander if you're interested.

Link plz

Shotgun Christening
17th September 10, 03:27 PM
So far I am reading this:

Mom34 is the big bux earner and Oldie is her bitch.

I make a bit more than she does. Not much but some. I rule my house. RULE. Like Pol Pot kind of rule.

I am an energy auditor, consultant, etc. for Johnson Controls. I do energy studies all day long, and develop conservation projects all over the US.

I still can't get my wife to turn a light off. Ever. Ceiling fans too.

I'm thinking of borrowing some dataloggers from work and trending teh consumption over a month with her leaving the lights on, and then a month with me keeping them off.

It'll probably just piss her off.

The ceiling fans....oh the humanity...she NEVER turns them off.
I took a humidity/temp logger home from work and showed MOM34 that it wasnt hot or humid in the house so she could turn the thermostat up some. For some reason she seems to think that the lower you put it the faster the unit runs.
Its not like I dont do that for a living or anything so why would I know what Im talking about.

Feryk
17th September 10, 04:02 PM
I make a bit more than she does. Not much but some. I rule my house. RULE. Like Pol Pot kind of rule.

Ask yourself, What Would Pol Pot Do?

Seriously though, if it pisses you off that much, buy the Smart House techno stuff. It regulates power consumption automatically (turning lights off in empty rooms,etc).

http://www.ehow.com/facts_5040263_two-devices-smart-house.html

SoulMechanic
17th September 10, 04:03 PM
Pol Pot kept his bitches in check.

SoulMechanic
17th September 10, 04:06 PM
Ask yourself, What Would Pol Pot Do?

Seriously though, if it pisses you off that much, buy the Smart House techno stuff. It regulates power consumption automatically (turning lights off in empty rooms,etc).

http://www.ehow.com/facts_5040263_two-devices-smart-house.html

Yeah I got one of those things Feryk. It works pretty damn good too. God built it into the backside of my pimphand. With one swift wack my energy bill gets back on track.

Feryk
17th September 10, 04:08 PM
That's how you broke your wrist, isn't it?

You wuz jus' helpin' promote Obama's Green Agenda.