PDA

View Full Version : Excess Tomatoes

OZZ
15th September 10, 11:53 AM
Any ideas what to do with an overabundance of tomatoes?
Besides the obvious, like spaghetti sauce or chili, salsa.
Our garden has sprouted a huge amount of tomatoes all at once and I have so many ripe tomatoes its crazy. I hate to waste food and I have given away as many as I can to people I know won't waste them.
Suggestions appreciated ..thanx.

Iscariot
15th September 10, 12:07 PM
Send to Buņol.

Spade: The Real Snake
15th September 10, 12:20 PM
Salsa is the way to go, but bruschetta is an easy appetizer.

or you can sell them at a farmer's market, trade with with friends/neighbors for their excess produce or take them into work and give them away.

KO'd N DOA
15th September 10, 02:24 PM
Whay kind? Cherry red, yellow, beefsteak?

Blanch and freeze, or just freeze. Have the same wonderful dilema. We've eaten so many tomatos that I've almost become one.

Aphid Jones
15th September 10, 03:01 PM
You could always "sun" dry them.

15th September 10, 03:13 PM
Box them up and send them to DolaMecha in the 619

OZZ
15th September 10, 03:51 PM
Whay kind? Cherry red, yellow, beefsteak?

Blanch and freeze, or just freeze. Have the same wonderful dilema. We've eaten so many tomatos that I've almost become one.

We have some beefsteak, some yellow(lemon boy), hothouse and cherry as well as roma and regular betterboy..
Not crazy about freezing them.

Yes, Tomato sandwiches for breakfast, tomatoes on ham sandwiches, tomatoes in salad, tomatoes with feta, olive oil and pepper etc.
I am complaining about having too many right now, but come the late fall when they are all gone I will be complaining about having to eat shitty storebought tomatoes again.
I actually really hate the taste of store bought tomatoes and could do without them altogether if they weren't such a functional food.
I also planted a nice amount of beets for jarring and pickling this year. The entire row is looking great and I should get a good amount.Had a freshly picked butternut squash last night for dinner and got in shit because I ate the whole thing and ddin't save any for my wife.The squirrels were starting to take bites of that so I picked it a little early.
The garden did extremely well this year, and I think the important difference was the compost I added to the soil last fall. It had the whole winter and spring to break down and the nutrients transformed the soil into a considerably better garden plot than it had been the previous year. We also had a pretty hot summer so that always helps as long as you keep up with regular watering.
Plus, last year our tomato crop got ruined by blight. Wiped them all out before we even got more than a dozen.

OZZ
15th September 10, 03:54 PM

I might grab a few and take them to the local food bank. They don't get a lot of fresh stuff ..but I am not sure where it is now.

lant3rn
15th September 10, 04:03 PM
Let them rot and throw them at Mayor Daccico

OZZ
15th September 10, 04:18 PM
Let them rot and throw them at Mayor Daccico

Did you know her husband/boyfriend owns that bar downtown - Friday Knight Lights..?
He is a dick too..I went in there to watch a hockey game during the playoffs last year and they dummy had a fucking band playing on a Monday night.
You don't advertise yourself as a Sports bar and as a place to watch the game and then throw a band on stage so nobody can listen to the damn game. He was also trying to service the entire bar himself and did a shitty job ( no napkins with food, leaving people for 20 minutes without asking them if they want a beer etc.)
I don't know if you heard about his high speed chase with the cops a while back? Hit and run ( an empty vehicle, not a person), DUI..the whole deal. Guy sounds like a real idiot.He was also bragging about his hamburgers and they sucked shit..
I also understand that the previous owner of that bar applied for a patio licence and was turned down, but when the Mayor's BF applied he got approved.Hmmm...

jubei33
15th September 10, 04:24 PM
sell em next to I-70 interchange:
tomatoes fresh 2$

your sign will read.

KO'd N DOA
16th September 10, 03:44 PM
The garden did extremely well this year, and I think the important difference was the compost I added to the soil last fall. It had the whole winter and spring to break down and the nutrients transformed the soil into a considerably better garden plot than it had been the previous year. We also had a pretty hot summer so that always helps as long as you keep up with regular watering.

Global Warming is not all doom an gloom now is it?

Adouglasmhor
17th September 10, 01:23 AM
bottle them, pickle the cherry tomatoes, borrow a food dehydrator, ditto then bottle them in oil, make chutney, make ketchup, make a curry sauce and freeze it.

SoulMechanic
17th September 10, 02:12 AM
Salsa is the way to go, but bruschetta is an easy appetizer.

or you can sell them at a farmer's market, trade with with friends/neighbors for their excess produce or take them into work and give them away.
Awww, so the inner faggot finally has unleashed his foppish head?

SoulMechanic
17th September 10, 02:15 AM
And it's 858 puto.

17th September 10, 09:07 AM
And it's 858 puto.
so you live in the 'burbs, not the hood?:chewy:

EvilSteve
17th September 10, 12:15 PM
Tomato-pepper vodka.

Take a bunch of your tomatoes, some hot peppers and let them soak in vodka for about a week. Strain the vodka and keep it in the fridge. Makes for killer bloody marys.