PDA

View Full Version : Vegetarians win again!!

Ajamil
7th September 10, 04:36 PM
Even going with an Atkin's style low-carb diet, studies suggest a lower risk of health issues when the protein is from non-animal sources, particularly red meat. (http://www.webmd.com/diet/news/20100907/meat-protein-risky-in-low-carb-diets)

Sept. 7, 2010 -- All low-carbohydrate diets may not be created equal when it comes to your health. A new study suggests that a low-carb diet based on vegetable protein is healthier than one based on meat protein.

Low-carb diets have gained popularity in recent years as research shows they aid in weight loss (http://www.webmd.com/diet/default.htm) and may improve some cardiovascular risk factors.
But researchers say their findings suggest that health benefits of a low-carb diet may depend on the type of protein and fat it contains.

The study followed nearly 130,000 health professionals for at least 20 years and found that low-carb diets that emphasized animal sources of fat and protein -- such as red meat -- were associated with a higher risk of death from any cause.

In contrast, people who ate low-carb diets that emphasized vegetable sources of fat and protein, such nuts and beans, had a lower risk of death from any cause, particularly heart (http://www.webmd.com/heart/picture-of-the-heart)-related death.

The study, based on regularly administered questionnaires, found that eating a low-carb diet based on meat protein was associated with a 23% higher risk of death from any cause, 14% greater risk of heart-related death, and 28% greater risk of cancer (http://www.webmd.com/cancer/)-related death. Eating a vegetable protein-based low-carb diet, however, was associated with a 20% lower risk of death from any cause and a 23% lower risk of death from heart disease (http://www.webmd.com/heart-disease/default.htm).

Low-Carb Diets Compared

Researcher Teresa T. Fung, ScD, of Simmons College in Boston and colleagues say that the macronutrient content of both diets may be similar, but the source of those nutrients may create large differences in substances known to affect health, such as fatty acids, protein, fiber, vitamins and minerals, and phytochemicals.

In an editorial that accompanies the study, experts say the jury is still out on the health effects of low-carb eating plans because survey-based dietary research is unable to control for all potential confounding factors.

"The current state of the evidence is such that no one can legitimately claim that a low-carbohydrate diet is either harmful or safe with any degree of certainty until a large-scale, randomized study with meaningful clinical end points is done," write William S. Yancy Jr., MD, MHS, Matthew L. Maciejewski, PhD, and Kevin A. Schulman, MD, of the Veterans Affairs Medical Center and Duke University.

Interesting that there's no definitive study on whether low-carb diets are actually helpful or harmful.

partyboy
7th September 10, 04:39 PM
does MJS count as an animal?

Steve
7th September 10, 04:43 PM
There is a food forum (in case you might have forgotten).

Kiko
7th September 10, 04:50 PM
So what'd you win?

Second prize is a steak? Sounds good to me!

Cullion
7th September 10, 05:02 PM
Interesting that there's no definitive study on whether low-carb diets are actually helpful or harmful.

Helpful or harmful for what ?

Bodyfat percentage?

Longevity?

Various (and sometimes contradictory) forms of atheletic performance?

I'd ask those questions about the meat/low carb and veggie/low carb comparisons too.

As an aside, I've never met a vegetarian or vegan who actually eats a low carb diet and I'd be interesting to see what they ate.

I can't really picture how a Vegan low-carb diet would be constructed (I've only known a few of vegans and they all ate a lot of rice, bread and pasta), and most vegetarians I know eat plenty of animal protein, just not the kind you have to kill the animal to get.

Zendetta
7th September 10, 07:02 PM
Yeah, but do they win fistfights?

Harpy
7th September 10, 07:17 PM
Less B12/iron/muscles + more soy estrogen = Way of the Peaceful Vegetarian

HappyOldGuy
7th September 10, 07:40 PM
Yeah, but do they win fistfights?

Nope. Livestock.

As far as low carb diets, the tide goes back and forth as each high profile study gets published. But that is to be expected since the answer is very genetics dependent with lots of different variables.

Ajamil
8th September 10, 06:34 PM
Helpful or harmful for what ?

Bodyfat percentage?

Longevity?

Various (and sometimes contradictory) forms of atheletic performance?I imagine they threw these into the list of "confounding variables."

Cullion
8th September 10, 06:40 PM
Well, I've heard and seen anecdotal evidence that some people attempting to lose fat with a low carb diet just feel exhausted and crappy all the time, even past the 2-3 week point where your body is supposed to get used to mostly using fatty acids for fuel.

Low carb diets work great for me whereas low fat diets leave me feeling ravenously hungry all the time even if I eat massive portions.

Ajamil
8th September 10, 06:52 PM
Glad it's workin for ya. I'd put diets right up near religion in terms of the amount of dependence on the individual.

What would you want your study to test for? I'd look for quality of health, and longevity - in that order.

Cullion
8th September 10, 06:57 PM
I don't know how to measure quality of health.

The simplest way to boost longevity by diet in most higher mammals shown in any study so far is to starve them every other day, regardless of what you let them eat. Frequent, brief fasting is the biggest single factor yet identified.

Ajamil
8th September 10, 07:18 PM
And there's good impetus when you're poor!

Quality of health for me would be measured over overall opinion of no or low chronic pain, able to sustain moderate to light strenuous activity for prolonged periods, with the ability to sprint and do other, higher strain activities, and strength of immune system as measured through lack of illness due to outside lifeforms.

partyboy
14th September 10, 02:32 PM
http://i.imgur.com/JNLy4.jpg

EvilSteve
14th September 10, 02:53 PM
I don't know how to measure quality of health.

The simplest way to boost longevity by diet in most higher mammals shown in any study so far is to starve them every other day, regardless of what you let them eat. Frequent, brief fasting is the biggest single factor yet identified.

^ This. Turns out anorexia is good for you.

And I was on a vegan (I believe) low carb diet for a while. It consisted of a fuckton of soy protein, beans, nuts and leafy vegetables. Oddly, I didn't feel crappy, lost a ton of weight and generally felt much better. I gave it up basically because I got lazy- it's a lot easier to make something delicious out of meat than it is out of low-carb plants. Being vegan takes effort.

partyboy
14th September 10, 03:59 PM
Being vegan takes effort.

GKTsWjbjQ8E

WarPhalange
14th September 10, 06:20 PM
Nope. Livestock.

As far as low carb diets, the tide goes back and forth as each high profile study gets published. But that is to be expected since the answer is very genetics dependent with lots of different variables.

Not true. Everything in the world, from religion to politics and quality of music/movies, is completely black and white.

Ajamil
15th September 10, 08:12 PM
The second wasn't as funny, PB, but I'd love it if everyone could go on a pig-centered meat diet. Pig and goats.

I do know a few delis by my house - I'll have to remember if I ever invite someone for dinner.

Adouglasmhor
16th September 10, 01:20 AM
^ This. Turns out anorexia is good for you.

And I was on a vegan (I believe) low carb diet for a while. It consisted of a fuckton of soy protein, beans, nuts and leafy vegetables. Oddly, I didn't feel crappy, lost a ton of weight and generally felt much better. I gave it up basically because I got lazy- it's a lot easier to make something delicious out of meat than it is out of low-carb plants. Being vegan takes effort.

Even the highest protein (non green or french) bean is over 80% carbs so not really!