PDA

View Full Version : Tea

bob
29th August 10, 08:12 PM
Recently I made a concerted effort to start drinking tea. My reasoning was that I don't drink soda/soft drinks or fruit juice. During the day it's pretty much water or coffee and at night it's water or alcohol. So I needed something else to fill the gaps because water gets boring and I can't drink coffee all day.

I was pretty dubious at first, maybe tainted by childhood experiences at scout camps (no, not those experiences. I'll save that for another thread) with sweet, insipid milky tea.

To my surprise I found that it was pretty easy to like. No milk, no sugar, just straight black or green tea.

But I've realised I know absolutely nothing about tea. It seems an area where there is plenty of room for the unwary to be fleeced so, tea drinkers, share your knowledge with me.

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
29th August 10, 08:27 PM
Try some jasmine tea nuigga. Green tea with flowers in it so that tea can be even gayer. I like it with a little bit of sugar.

p.s.
use fresh water
warm up your cup or pot first with some of the hot water, then make your tea
brew green tea for about a minute and a half and black for about two or three. If you want to change the strength use more or less leaves or bags instead of changing the brewing time.

bob
29th August 10, 08:54 PM
Is there much difference between leaves and bags?

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
29th August 10, 09:31 PM
Leaves give you more control over the strength of your tea since you can add as many as you want. Some people also claim that bags tend to use lower grade leaves and the best stuff is saved for the loose leaf blends, but I don't know if I buy that.

Ajamil
29th August 10, 11:05 PM
You can get reusable strainers so the leaves don't end up in the tea you drink.

Conde Koma
29th August 10, 11:12 PM
i love tea. asian teas straight, but i like my english tea with lots of cream and sugar.

i would say for full leaves and use either a strainer or a straining tea pot. it just feels more like tea that way, and i don't like the visual that "tea bagging" has evolved into.

Harpy
30th August 10, 12:38 AM
bob - welcome. Nothing better than a white or green tea (okay, other than this awesome Mint and Ginger herbal infusion I've discovered from Tetley's). If you're not drinking for the caffeine hit then do try herbal 'teas' too.

I believe you have quite the well trained palate so you'd be best off avoiding black tea, sugar, milk and 'flavoured' teas (eg. Strawberries and cream...yech).

One other trick is that to reduce the tannin content in your brew, dip the tea bag for 3-5 seconds in a little boiling water. Throw out the water and pour fresh hot water into the cup with the tea bag. I find the brew then has a smoother taste without the tannin bite.

SoulMechanic
30th August 10, 12:41 AM
My tea has 36 active alkaloids nigga.

Kiko
30th August 10, 12:16 PM
Why can't you drink coffee all day? If it's the caffeine, then you may not want to drink certain types of tea all day either.

Otherwise... Darjeeling is good, too.

Conde Koma
30th August 10, 12:37 PM
HAHAHAHAHA, nice one!

Although I can't help but wonder how many burned vaginas were the result of someone somewhere giving this a shot.

Ming Loyalist
30th August 10, 01:37 PM
loose tea > tea bags, i don't know why but it's way better.
japanese green tea > all other "green" tea, not sure what people are trying to pass off as green tea, but if it ain't japanese, it's shite.

after my morning coffee, i drink green tea all day. at work i settle for the powdered stuff, but at home i brew loose leaf tea.

jubei33
30th August 10, 04:14 PM
There a ton of varieties of Japanese green. One of the ubiquitous "cheap" variety is called sencha. Its fairly decent and usually about 10$/kg. You can buy it online. Other types are a bit harder to come by, unless you can read Japanese. Rokucha is usually what they sell in the fancier teabags. Fukui-cha has a deeper, stronger kind of green flavor I like, from Fukoaka I think.

Also, blends are kind of popular, like umeboshi-green are pretty good. Adds a new flavor to the mix. Genami-cha is pretty good as well, its mixed with roasted rice and wheat husks.

Dokudami flower tea is good for "detox" apparently, but other than that its flavor is good, somewhat bitter and refreshing.

Neildo
30th August 10, 04:26 PM
oolong represent

cold white tea with a bit of cane sugar and a lemon wedge pwns

Conde Koma
30th August 10, 06:26 PM
Word on the Oolong tea. Barley is good too, although I like it better cold with a bit of sugar.

Kiko
30th August 10, 07:17 PM
Stupid question from a northern yankee. What kind of tea is used to make "Sweet Tea"?

Conde Koma
30th August 10, 08:17 PM
like brisk tea? i think that's just regular english black tea with sugar and lemon.

Ming Loyalist
30th August 10, 08:30 PM
There a ton of varieties of Japanese green. One of the ubiquitous "cheap" variety is called sencha. Its fairly decent and usually about 10$/kg. You can buy it online. Other types are a bit harder to come by, unless you can read Japanese. Rokucha is usually what they sell in the fancier teabags. Fukui-cha has a deeper, stronger kind of green flavor I like, from Fukoaka I think.

Also, blends are kind of popular, like umeboshi-green are pretty good. Adds a new flavor to the mix. Genami-cha is pretty good as well, its mixed with roasted rice and wheat husks.

Dokudami flower tea is good for "detox" apparently, but other than that its flavor is good, somewhat bitter and refreshing.

i asked my wife, she says i like genmi-cha the best. we also have some shin-cha.

HappyOldGuy
30th August 10, 08:33 PM
like brisk tea? i think that's just regular english black tea with sugar and lemon.

Proper sweet tea is more like sugar, with a bit of tea and lemon.

bob
30th August 10, 08:35 PM
Ok, looks like I'm going to have to try the japanese green tea. Maybe get some herbal for night time use.

I'll try the leaves, though one of the attractions of tea for me is its simplicity. It's really easy to teabag, whereas if I want to make a decent cup of coffee I have to fuss around a lot and it's usually only for me.

Harpy
30th August 10, 08:48 PM
It's really easy to teabag.
QFT

Now go smack your geisha's ass and tell her to get steppin' with your tea.

SoulMechanic
30th August 10, 11:46 PM
oolong represent

cold white tea with a bit of cane sugar and a lemon wedge pwns

Neil knows what is up.

Steve
30th August 10, 11:50 PM
Ok, looks like I'm going to have to try the japanese green tea. Maybe get some herbal for night time use.

I'll try the leaves, though one of the attractions of tea for me is its simplicity. It's really easy to teabag, whereas if I want to make a decent cup of coffee I have to fuss around a lot and it's usually only for me.

http://www.mygreentea.com/

Best seller for green tea at my place. Let me know if you want me to hook you up.

Adouglasmhor
31st August 10, 12:57 AM
Why can't you drink coffee all day? If it's the caffeine, then you may not want to drink certain types of tea all day either.

Otherwise... Darjeeling is good, too.

Darjeeling is great tea. It's my mum's favourite. I got her this mad tin.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31rzUcdWquL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

WarPhalange
31st August 10, 01:04 AM
How does water "get boring"? It barely has any flavor. It's like saying "Regular air is getting boring. I will walk around with a car air-freshener tied to my nose".

bob
31st August 10, 01:13 AM
How does water "get boring"? It barely has any flavor. It's like saying "Regular air is getting boring. I will walk around with a car air-freshener tied to my nose".

Wut?

It gets boring because it doesn't have any flavour. And no, it's like saying, "it's kind of boring breathing in colourless, odourless gases all the time, for a while I'd like to smell some different things like farts, flowers and stuff."

bob
31st August 10, 01:17 AM
http://www.mygreentea.com/

Best seller for green tea at my place. Let me know if you want me to hook you up.

Cheers. I'll try some local stuff first and see how I go.

Neildo
31st August 10, 01:28 AM
breathing in colorless odorless gases is boring. that's why i smoke weed. duh.

goes good with tea.

SoulMechanic
31st August 10, 01:29 AM
36 alkaloids

jubei33
31st August 10, 03:17 AM
i asked my wife, she says i like genmi-cha the best. we also have some shin-cha.
Yeah, its a popular one. Also, Barley tea in the summer is tons better than lipton imo.

They have a lot of sen-chas out there and I'd recommend getting a decent supply over the standard can of green tea powder. Its got something that the processed can doesn't and if you've got the time its worth it. Iced green tea is great in 100+ weather.

Haven't tried shin-cha, yet, but living here its not too hard to come by. I might make a trip to the market. I'm out of dried fruit anyway. I'll try to take pictures now that I have some time away from the books.

36 alkaloids
http://content8.flixster.com/movie/10/95/79/10957974_det.jpg

Commodore Pipes
31st August 10, 09:47 AM
bob, is this just part of your three-letter beliefs?

SoulMechanic
31st August 10, 03:14 PM
http://i366.photobucket.com/albums/oo102/anastasiaadamovkalistto3/image_011.gif

Commodore Pipes
31st August 10, 03:45 PM
Are those poppies?

bob
31st August 10, 03:47 PM
bob, is this just part of your three-letter beliefs?

huh

yes

Commodore Pipes
31st August 10, 03:49 PM
oh k

SoulMechanic
31st August 10, 03:49 PM
Are those poppies?

Yup.

Commodore Pipes
31st August 10, 03:51 PM
mmm.

nick those buds and harvest that sweet resin

SoulMechanic
31st August 10, 03:56 PM
I have poppy tea down to an art. It don't taste too good but what its got kicks the shit out of caffeine.

Conde Koma
31st August 10, 04:20 PM
is poppy tea legal? if so, where can i buy it?

SoulMechanic
31st August 10, 04:29 PM
If you have a yard plant some seeds in your garden. If that is out of the question purchase some semi dried poppy pods over the internet for a "floral arrangement."

Conde Koma
31st August 10, 04:31 PM
no yard. so just get some seeds and crush them, or what?

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
31st August 10, 06:13 PM
make me some poppy tea soulmechanic
we'll invite goon and neildo and have a controlled susbtances potluck

SoulMechanic
31st August 10, 06:15 PM
Nah, seeds are only good for planting. You take the pods, cut them up small enough to put into a coffee grinder. After you grind them up I run them through a cappuccino press. Then it is ready for drinking.

Neildo
31st August 10, 06:42 PM
make me some poppy tea soulmechanic
we'll invite goon and neildo and have a controlled susbtances potluck

goons substances are only good for enhancing your killing power, and i am not stupid enough to try and bring stuff over the border again but i'll still join you. goon will probably come too but he won't arrive with any of us and we wont know he's there.

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
31st August 10, 06:47 PM
it's okay, our pot is better than yours anyway

Neildo
31st August 10, 06:53 PM
oh no you di'int [/chickenhead]

SoulMechanic
31st August 10, 07:09 PM
Sorry Neil, Sama is right. Also, MJS I will be up in Korea Town next weekend. PM me if you wanna smoke blunts and drink forties with me and my recording studio homies.

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
31st August 10, 09:03 PM
wtf is korean town

SoulMechanic
31st August 10, 09:34 PM
Its called Korea town, its off the middle of Wilshire blvd.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Koreatown,_Los_Angeles

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
31st August 10, 11:09 PM
ya bro fershure
let me get a round in the studio yo
we'll have a RAP BATTLE

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
31st August 10, 11:14 PM
after i'm famous we can release them as LIL' WANG: THE LOST TAPES or something

SoulMechanic
31st August 10, 11:14 PM
My bro Doug just finished the soundtrack for the new Bond game yo.

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
31st August 10, 11:15 PM
oh
oh
LIL' WANG: THE UNRAPPED RHYMES feat. SOUL MECHYEEZY

bob
16th September 10, 02:44 AM
One other trick is that to reduce the tannin content in your brew, dip the tea bag for 3-5 seconds in a little boiling water. Throw out the water and pour fresh hot water into the cup with the tea bag. I find the brew then has a smoother taste without the tannin bite.

This is a good call.