PDA

View Full Version : Balvenie Doublewood 12 year Scotch

Commodore Pipes
28th August 10, 10:33 PM
So I had a bottle of Balvenie Doublewood 12 year Scotch, and I thought I'd try it. The boy was asleep, dinner was over, and the chores were done - and I haven't yet replaced the Laphraoig. So I popped two ice cubes in a tumbler, two fingers of Balvenie, and a splash of water.

From the first sniff, I thought it was a bourbon. Not a trace of peat. Granted, the last scotch I had was the famous and revered Laphraoig, but the Balvenie didn't smell at all like I remember, say, Glenfiddich smelled.

The second sniff had a hint of the scottish burr, and some of those fruity notes I expected from the sherry cask.

The first sip was a little more scotchy, but the finish was nice and nutty, which is what I associate with bourbon. The fruit (and the florals? I've never tasted a flower, so I'm not sure what that even means) grew stronger as the ice melted and drink opened up a little more. The last sip was very fruity, with no hint of the nutty aftertaste that I could detect.

So it was nice. I wouldn't hesitate to serve it to a guest, but it lacks the memorable dynamic and addicting presence of the legendary Laphraoig.

EuropIan
29th August 10, 01:24 AM
So it would be something you would serve to a first time Scotch drinker?

Like e.g. a Glengoyne?

Adouglasmhor
29th August 10, 05:40 AM
I like Balvennie but I like lowland malts too. I like the smoother richer tastes.

Commodore Pipes
29th August 10, 07:16 AM
So it would be something you would serve to a first time Scotch drinker?

Like e.g. a Glengoyne?

Yeah, I think this would be a good introductory scotch. After all, I didn't know that I liked peat until after I bought a bottle of Laphraoig for a friend's birthday - and the smell of it almost made me not try it.. I still don't know that I like Laphraoig, even. I think maybe "obsessed with it" is more accurate. That flavor haunted me for weeks, not in a bad way, though.

I like Balvennie but I like lowland malts too. I like the smoother richer tastes.

I'm happy to have it in my small collection. I think it's a good example of the variety of flavors available in the scotch family.