PDA

View Full Version : Crayfish/Crawfish

Cullion
27th August 10, 06:40 PM
British waterways are getting overwhelmed by American Signal Crayfish which were originally imported for fish-farms that wanted to supply restaurants, but which have now escaped into the wild.

This makes for a fun day out with the children because there's absolutely no limit on the size of your catch or when you can catch them, the only rule is 'if you catch those American crayfish, don't put them back in the water, they're destroying native species by eating too many fish eggs and damaging river banks'.

Teach me how to do this right. I haven't been satisfied with my results yet.

Let me make one thing clear though; I'm awash with interesting looking recipes for etouffee etc.. I'm more interested in what are the most efficient ways to clean and shell them.

Share the secret. What's the fastest, cheapest way of taking crayfish you've caught yourself and turning it into shelled, de-veined and clean claw and tail meat ?

How do people clean and shell crayfish on an industrial scale ? Srs.

WhiteShark
27th August 10, 06:45 PM
You don't clean and shell them. You cook them in super spicy brine and then eat the tail meat and suck the head.

see:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tm5NBfBuJ20

Cullion
27th August 10, 06:50 PM
I've read descriptions by people who purport to be from the American South about 'purging' crayfish with salt and then rinsing it off, to get the crap out of their guts before you cook them. What's that all about ?

And what happens at the fishery that delivers shelled meat to the restaurant for the chef cooking etoufee etc..? Do they just have a shitload of minimum wage people doing it by hand ?

Kein Haar
27th August 10, 09:08 PM
Whiteshark is right.

Commodore Pipes
27th August 10, 09:09 PM
I've never eaten the clawmeat. Usually just boil the suckers and pull them apart as I eat. little melted butter, eat the tail, suck out the brains and throw the rest away, though I guess you could make a stock.

Robot Jesus
27th August 10, 11:29 PM
don't eat the dead ones.

Shotgun Christening
28th August 10, 06:10 AM
I've read descriptions by people who purport to be from the American South about 'purging' crayfish with salt and then rinsing it off, to get the crap out of their guts before you cook them. What's that all about ?

And what happens at the fishery that delivers shelled meat to the restaurant for the chef cooking etoufee etc..? Do they just have a shitload of minimum wage people doing it by hand ?

I am allergic to shellfish so havent eaten them in 15 years or so but we hold a crawfish boil each year.
You have to purge them. If you dont then when they hit the boiling water they will shit all in it and you will be eating crawfish with shit flavoring. The ones that die usually float to the top but before you boil them check to make sure you arent boiling any dead ones.

http://i35.tinypic.com/2v0l72h.jpg

Thats me at our last boil. He's a big 'un.

Lots of time around here crawfish are dumped into flooded rice fields. They eat mosquito larvae. Before rice harvest the dams are broken and crawfish are harvested then. They seem to breed and grow best during the rice season naturally.

Crawfish are usually delivered alive and then boiled and eaten or shelled. Once you have done it a few times it isnt hard and doesnt take long to amass a pile of shelled meat.

Claw meat is uselss, and not worth the time expended to get at it.

Shotgun Christening
28th August 10, 06:11 AM
don't eat the dead ones.

Ive never eaten a live one.

Kiko
28th August 10, 07:55 AM
Mudbugs is good eatin'!

... or so I've heard.

Shotgun Christening
28th August 10, 08:28 AM
Mudbugs is good eatin'!

... or so I've heard.

They are

resolve
28th August 10, 11:57 AM
I've eaten crabs and lobsters... but eating crayfish just creeps me out! I don't even know why.

Also, -5 points for Cullion for not using "crawdad" in his title, with an extreme hick drawl.

Ajamil
28th August 10, 01:14 PM
Resolve is correct - proper drawled term is Crawdad (crawdaddy also acceptable). The only time I've ever really eaten crawdads were in Louisiana, and they had some sneaky ass Cajun spice on them where the first dozen or so weren't spicy at all, but by the twentieth my mouth was on fire and I had already eaten them so there was no way to stop the increasing pain.

That turned me off spicy food for a long time.

I remember catching a crayfish on the way home from school with my brother. We had no way to actually grab the dude, so we ended up having a shirt on a stick or something so that it pinched at the shirt and we yanked it out of the water. That was a good day.

Kiko
28th August 10, 01:49 PM
Every spring kids in this area bring home the science project crayfish as pets! Not just one of 'em, but EVERY kid in nearly all the public schools. The ones who are well cared for live pretty nice lives.

I assume these are the same as crawdads, right?

Kein Haar
28th August 10, 02:27 PM
In Australia they are called yobbies.

Conde Koma
28th August 10, 03:46 PM
wait, since oldman is the resident authority, what's the best way to purge/clean/prep them?

Kiko
28th August 10, 03:47 PM
I just know they'll eat anything, but they REALLY love Italian meatballs. Just a tiny bit or you'll mess up the tank.

Conde Koma
28th August 10, 03:50 PM
will they eat rice? i had a professor who cooked crickets, and he fed them rice to clean them out.

Kiko
28th August 10, 03:54 PM
They're aquatic scavengers, they'll eat anything, but better if it sinks.

Crickets? They'll eat any sort of moist starchy vegetable. Potatoes, carrots, apples. They get shipped overnight from the cricket farms in Louisiana with big hunks of carrot or potato in the boxes. When we open them, the veggies are riddled with holes or nearly gone. Amazing. They're also cannibals if nothing else is around.

Shotgun Christening
28th August 10, 04:06 PM
wait, since oldman is the resident authority, what's the best way to purge/clean/prep them?

Put them in a briny solution to purge them. Dont do it too long since they arent saltwater creatures. The water should come out clean on the second or third try. I usually leave them in the sack but we buy 30 pounds so its easier to do that when purging. Youll need to swish them around some.
Boil them in a cajun spice mix/shrimp boil mix. We usually boil them with potatoes (small reds) and small corn on the cobs.

Ajamil
28th August 10, 04:30 PM
In Australia they are called yobbies.Do they throw yobbies on the barbee, then?

Robot Jesus
30th August 10, 05:10 PM
I'm seriously considering introducing the species into local wetlands. What sort of environment are they best suited to?

partyboy
30th August 10, 05:49 PM
I'm seriously considering introducing the species into local wetlands. What sort of environment are they best suited to?

my mouth.

Conde Koma
30th August 10, 06:24 PM
why do you want to introduce them into your area?

Shotgun Christening
30th August 10, 09:29 PM

Water.

FickleFingerOfFate
30th August 10, 09:41 PM

Florida Martial Arts Gyms.

Kiko
31st August 10, 05:19 AM
Aren't crayfish pretty much native to most of North America? where are you? Otherwise, it's actually not legal to release things that aren't indigenous, ya know... it upsets the local wildlife...

Kein Haar
31st August 10, 06:57 AM
There is one particular species of non-native crayfish in Illinois which is particularly destructive toward fish eggs.

I guess it's just a matter of being fucked as I wouldn't know how one would make traps to distinguish between the native ones and the invaders since they are built exactly the same.

Kiko
31st August 10, 07:01 AM
Trap 'em all. Are they all edible?

At least they're not starlings...

Shotgun Christening
31st August 10, 07:08 AM
There is one particular species of non-native crayfish in Illinois which is particularly destructive toward fish eggs.

I guess it's just a matter of being fucked as I wouldn't know how one would make traps to distinguish between the native ones and the invaders since they are built exactly the same.

Just trap them and look at them on a case by case basis.

Kein Haar
31st August 10, 02:40 PM
I'm talking about in terms of eradication.

Of course, I'd simply eat both.

SoulMechanic
31st August 10, 03:47 PM
Some of my fondest childhood memories were of me and the other kids in the neighborhood having our annual crawdad wars. Think UFC with crawdaddys. Get your biggest most burly looking one and place him with your buddies top dude in a pickle jar filled with water and watch them fuckers tear each other to shreds. The winner gets to keep all the other kids pieces of bubblegum that comes in your baseball card packs for a whole year. That or one of your Tony Gwynn's.

Commodore Pipes
31st August 10, 03:50 PM
Some of my fondest childhood memories were of me and the other kids in the neighborhood having our annual crawdad wars. Think UFC with crawdaddys. Get your biggest most burly looking one and place him with your buddies top dude in a pickle jar filled with water and watch them fuckers tear each other to shreds. The winner gets to keep all the other kids pieces of bubblegum that comes in your baseball card packs for a whole year. That or one of your Tony Gwynn's.

We just put ours in a dirt pit with no water and all they did was lie there and die on their own. :(

Cullion
6th September 10, 12:59 PM
I'm talking about in terms of eradication.

Of course, I'd simply eat both.

The ones that are destroying our native crayfish are larger than the British variety and have white patches on the underside of their front claws.

Neildo
6th September 10, 01:33 PM
If Sun Wukong were here he could answer your question :(

Cullion
6th September 10, 01:40 PM
It's okay, OM already gave me a good reason for purging them. After I cooked the last few, they tasted okay but the water I cooked them in didn't smell good. Thankfully nobody got sick.

Kein Haar
6th September 10, 10:02 PM
The ones that are destroying our native crayfish are larger than the British variety and have white patches on the underside of their front claws.

Oh, so they are bumping out the native crayfish too...not just feasting on native fish eggs.

Jerks.

I'm sure they taste the same, though.

Cullion
7th September 10, 04:12 AM
I've never seen a native British crayfish, only read descriptions saying they're smaller and don't have the white patch. I don't think the American Signal variety is attacking them directly, just getting all the food first and out-competing them.

Until the American kind got released into the wild from farms, I don't remember people going fishing for the British kind. Probably too small for good eatin'

Adouglasmhor
7th September 10, 04:30 AM
I've never seen a native British crayfish, only read descriptions saying they're smaller and don't have the white patch. I don't think the American Signal variety is attacking them directly, just getting all the food first and out-competing them.

Until the American kind got released into the wild from farms, I don't remember people going fishing for the British kind. Probably too small for good eatin'

I've eaten them about 45 years ago, they are classed as an at risk species so that's why they don't catch them any more.

Ajamil
7th September 10, 06:33 AM
I told you, Americans are entitled to winning contests.

Robot Jesus
11th September 10, 03:06 PM
why do you want to introduce them into your area?

turns out plan A wasen't a very good plan

Rabbit shot by arrow
http://images.ctv.ca/archives/CTVNews/img2/20100504/430_CGY_Rabbit_Arrow1_100504.jpg
Residents of a southwest neighbourhood are upset about seeing a rabbit with an arrow stuck in its body.

"To my shock and amazement, it had an arrow sticking two feet out of each side of him and he was still nonchalantly nibbling away at some lettuce someone had left out," says Danny Burmiester, who spotted the animal hopping around Coach Hill on Sunday.

Burmiester tried to help the animal but it hopped away. "My girlfriend was quite upset and was in tears and she was quite appalled at the whole situation."

The Humane Society is appalled as well. "It's absolutely disturbing to see that bunny. It's heartbreaking to see that somebody could do that to an animal," says Lindsay Jones.

Veterinarians say, despite the rabbit's injuries, it could still live a long time. "If the arrow is not through a vital organ, that rabbit could live quite some time with that arrow sticking out – possibly days, weeks, or even longer," says Dr. Laura Major from Coach Hill Veterinary.

Major is advising residents not to try and catch the rabbit if they see it. "If they move that arrow, it could actually go to a vital organ rather than stay where it is where it's not causing damage," says Dr. Major.

Police are advising anyone who sees someone discharging a weapon, including a bow and arrow, within city limits to call them.

http://calgary.ctv.ca/servlet/an/local/CTVNews/20100504/CGY_Rabbit_Arrow_100504/20100504/?hub=CalgaryHome

Aren't crayfish pretty much native to most of North America? where are you? Otherwise, it's actually not legal to release things that aren't indigenous, ya know... it upsets the local wildlife...

Don't know about this far north, but as you can see I'm not too concerned with the law or local wildlife.

resolve
11th September 10, 04:50 PM
I used to shoot arrows at rabbits and possums. I never did hit one.

I did manage to get really frustrated and just run a rabbit down and club it though after failing to shoot it... I'm still surprised at how I managed that. It was eating my pumpkins and watermelons I had planted and thus, revenge. It lived (was only trying to teach it a lesson), and never came back to my garden again.

Glad I never shot a rabbit like that though.

SoulMechanic
11th September 10, 05:02 PM
This punk ass done tried to steal my 211. Got blasted.
http://i321.photobucket.com/albums/nn392/dubrunner/drunkwabbit001.jpg

Ajamil
12th September 10, 02:40 AM
How long before the arrow wounds infect? I'm not as optimistic about the life of that bunny as the vets. I mean think about it - he basically told the residents not to try and capture it so they wouldn't waste his time and bring him some stupid bunny to sew up. Sure he gave a half-assed excuse about "harming organs if the arrow moves." Like the rabbit won't have the arrow moving in it's daily runs and predator escapes.

danno
12th September 10, 05:29 AM
In Australia they are called yobbies.

close - "yabbies".

though ours are bigger and the claw meat is good.

what is "purging"? is it when you pull the shit out?

before we boil them, we grab the middle part of the flipper tail thing and pull it out, and the shit tube comes out with it.

here is a photo from the last time i went yabbying:

http://img40.imageshack.us/img40/4790/img0587q.jpg

we often catch them with meat tied to a piece of string, anyone else do that?

Cullion
12th September 10, 05:50 AM
Purging as I read it was when you clean all the crap out of their guts by covering them in loads of salt, before you cook them so they don't crap in the water whilst they're being cooked.

danno
12th September 10, 06:15 AM
rightio, i've never heard of that.

like i said, we'll pull it out before cooking them, while they're alive. i don't know anything about the physiological differences between yabbies and these yankee crafwish, but maybe that'd work for you.

basically we set the kids up in a sort of production line before and after the cooking.

Cullion
12th September 10, 06:22 AM
The American Crayfish in our rivers are pretty small. It would be fiddly and often unsuccesful work to pull the gutline out in each one. You'd probably just destroy the tailmeat, and that's the main part you eat.

The first time I cooked them I didn't purge them. They tasted okay and nobody got sick, but the water they had been cooked in did smell a little off, so I want to do it right next time.

I caught them with bits of bacon. I put them into little mesh bags (they kind you use to hold the tablets that go in your washing machine) and hung them in the water from string, and then just scooped the bag out with a net when I saw it being tugged. You get one every few minutes like that. It's not the most efficient way, but catching them is most of the entertainment for the kids.

Shotgun Christening
12th September 10, 07:27 AM
The American Crayfish in our rivers are pretty small. It would be fiddly and often unsuccesful work to pull the gutline out in each one. You'd probably just destroy the tailmeat, and that's the main part you eat.

The first time I cooked them I didn't purge them. They tasted okay and nobody got sick, but the water they had been cooked in did smell a little off, so I want to do it right next time.

I caught them with bits of bacon. I put them into little mesh bags (they kind you use to hold the tablets that go in your washing machine) and hung them in the water from string, and then just scooped the bag out with a net when I saw it being tugged. You get one every few minutes like that. It's not the most efficient way, but catching them is most of the entertainment for the kids.

Make a trap and put the bait in it. Leave them in the water for a few days and come back.

They are easy and cheap to make.

danno
12th September 10, 08:14 AM
perhaps you already know the technique and that it won't work for you or something, but i thought i'd make this just in case:

http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/1967/yabbie.jpg

the tail and everything should still be intact, except for that centre flipper bit and the poo.

takes a bit of work to do a large number, but that's what you get when preparing wild things from scratch.

have fun.

Adouglasmhor
12th September 10, 10:37 AM
I told you, Americans are entitled to winning contests.

Europeans are used to Americans being greedy and bigger than us.

Adouglasmhor
12th September 10, 10:50 AM
Make a trap and put the bait in it. Leave them in the water for a few days and come back.

What is the trap like is it a little lobster pot?

Scottish Lobster Pot
http://www.webinntekt.com/blogg/wp-admin/images/Lobster%20pots.jpg

English Pot
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/2/27/Lobster_pots_at_Beer%2C_Devon.JPG/800px-Lobster_pots_at_Beer%2C_Devon.JPG

New England Pot
http://www.zohrala.com/lobstertraps/pics/Lobster_trap_rd_web.JPG

Cullion
12th September 10, 12:13 PM
perhaps you already know the technique and that it won't work for you or something, but i thought i'd make this just in case:

http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/1967/yabbie.jpg

the tail and everything should still be intact, except for that centre flipper bit and the poo.

takes a bit of work to do a large number, but that's what you get when preparing wild things from scratch.

have fun.

I'll try it, but I'm not confident it will work very well with our crayfish because they seem so small. I'm not sure if the anatomy is quite the same, but it's hard to tell when I've never seen one of your yabbies in real life. How big are they ? the biggest crayfish I've caught in the UK only have a body about 3 or 4 inches long (that's head to tail, not including the claws).

Cullion
12th September 10, 12:16 PM

I'm going to to do that next time, and try to catch enough for real 'crawfish boil' like I've read about on the web. The way I described catching them was a very inefficient way of getting a meal, but it was lots of fun for the children to pull them out of the river every time they saw a line go taught.

I can't buy ready-made crawfish boil seasoning here yet. What are the ingredients if you make your own?

I assume it involves cayenne pepper and garlic salt or garlic powder? What else ?

Shotgun Christening
12th September 10, 02:00 PM
I'm going to to do that next time, and try to catch enough for real 'crawfish boil' like I've read about on the web. The way I described catching them was a very inefficient way of getting a meal, but it was lots of fun for the children to pull them out of the river every time they saw a line go taught.

I can't buy ready-made crawfish boil seasoning here yet. What are the ingredients if you make your own?

I assume it involves cayenne pepper and garlic salt or garlic powder? What else ?

Order it online.

or

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/crawfish-boil-recipe/index.html

SoulMechanic
12th September 10, 02:04 PM
Yeah danno, we just take small pieces of bacon and tie them with string. I have used other meats but bacon works best to catch the crawdaddies.

Cullion
12th September 10, 02:10 PM
I'll try doing it from that recipe BM. I like to make my own stuff.

Zendetta
12th September 10, 03:08 PM
I think someone already said to boil 'em with corn on the cob and new potatoes?

Cullion
12th September 10, 03:15 PM
Yeah, that bit's straightforward. It's the spice and purging routine that's not.

danno
12th September 10, 07:36 PM
using a string and meat really is the most fun way to do it. i highly recommend if you're never done it before.

I'll try it, but I'm not confident it will work very well with our crayfish because they seem so small. I'm not sure if the anatomy is quite the same, but it's hard to tell when I've never seen one of your yabbies in real life.

it'll be interesting to find out if they are that similar.

you'll need to grab it really firmly, and you might think the whole tail is about to come off. you'll feel a snap, then it'll come off with the long tube of intestines (or whatever it is in crayfish) attached.

How big are they ? the biggest crayfish I've caught in the UK only have a body about 3 or 4 inches long (that's head to tail, not including the claws).

ahem... yeah, we usually throw them back at that size. probably keep anything above around 5. if you're lucky you might find one at around 12 inches from time to time.

Harpy
12th September 10, 09:20 PM
It's okay, OM already gave me a good reason for purging them. After I cooked the last few, they tasted okay but the water I cooked them in didn't smell good. Thankfully nobody got sick.
A warning to never try any of Cullion's new creations till he's worked out the issues...

SoulMechanic
12th September 10, 11:14 PM
Cullions kids must of thought their pop was the shit after that meal. Bet they even bragged to their friends on facebook.

Cullion
13th September 10, 02:48 AM
My kids don't have facebook yet. But as we were catching them, a big line of their friends (who had all been left in daycare by their parents) were marched past by the daycare staff. They all wanted to stop and see what Cullion was doing and started wailing when the day care staff wouldn't let them join in. Oh yeah, I was the shit that day.

Kein Haar
13th September 10, 03:01 AM
That's how pedo bears work their charm. They try to keep the contents of their trench coats "secret" from kids and frustrate their attempts to find out.

Then it's just a matter of, "No, no, no! She came on to ME!"

Cullion
13th September 10, 03:03 AM
Where did that come from?

Kein Haar
13th September 10, 03:32 AM
You know the basic mechanics of the game.

Shotgun Christening
13th September 10, 05:26 AM
I think someone already said to boil 'em with corn on the cob and new potatoes?

I did.

That's how pedo bears work their charm. They try to keep the contents of their trench coats "secret" from kids and frustrate their attempts to find out.

Then it's just a matter of, "No, no, no! She came on to ME!"

Freudian slip?