PDA

View Full Version : What would happen to the world if America disappeared today?

Sirc
27th August 10, 02:13 PM
I was talking to some friends who are in Europe for school who have a case of being on the other side of the fence. You know, the kind of college aged guy who goes to Europe and gets indoctrinated with their kind of bullshit, "EUROPE IS THE BEST. AMERICANS ARE THE WORST." philosophy. It's like, they don't understand that racism isn't just skin color. That about 70 years ago, a guy thought the same thing about how much more awesome his country was compared to everyone else and ended up causing the biggest ruckus the world had ever seen.

Anyway, I tried to tell them that as a whole, the planet kind of needs America now because of how we've kind of gotten our roots deep set into all aspects of the world. Sometimes with good intentions and sometimes... not. My friend was saying that the world would be better off if America just went away... which got me thinking, what would happen to the world if America disappeared overnight? I mean like the ocean just swallowed us up. *poof* Just gone.

This is what I think would be the most major things:

- China would invade Taiwan and take it over immediately and probably look towards Canada for its natural resources that China desperately needs now that they've lost America.

- Israel gets gangraped by several Arab nations. Israel would probably be destroyed and there would probably be a nuclear exchange of some kind.

- North Korea would invade South Korea thinking that without American support, they can do it. South Korea fights back and wins, North Korea's tech is too old and they cannot put up a fight. Korea is united, but fixing North Korea becomes Korea's challenge for the next decade.

- Russia takes back old Eastern Bloc countries. They go and take back as much of the territory lost after the Breakup of the USSR as they can. The rest of Europe nervously raises defense budgets.

- Oil prices plummet as the biggest consumer disappears. Royal Saudi family gets unseated by coup.

- Food prices worldwide skyrocket and food supply for the world becomes very scarce. Panic ensues as the public freaks the fuck out wondering when the supply will end as the consumption is higher than production. Countries scramble to fill in the gap. Spain and Portugal will eventually be new leaders in food production. Farming supplies and farm stock become the new oil demand for 5-10 years.

- The internet is largely down all over the world. Databases will be missing and some countries will not have any at all. It'll be a long while until the internet is back to it's current state.

- Africa goes from Bad to Worse. A few countries will try to step in and do what we were doing to help Africa out, but due to too much to fucking do, most give up and let Africa sort itself out. It is not pretty. It sets the stage for World War III as famine in Africa skyrockets.

- Cheap oil prices creates a massive surge in automobiles around the world as well as refineries. Other countries try to fill in the gap in production as America and it does not go well.

- Many companies shut down because of the loss of exporting to America. China, Japan, and Germany are hit the worst.

- Europe sees an ice age as the gulf stream disappears. We're your coat.

- Japan would host the World Series.

- Madagascar would close its ports.

EuropIan
27th August 10, 02:16 PM
What a silly hypothetical

Spade: The Real Snake
27th August 10, 02:21 PM
John Cusack would fly an airplane full of survivors to China to board an ark.

EuropIan
27th August 10, 02:26 PM
John Cusack would fly an airplane full of survivors to China to board an ark.
This thread is now over, I will now close the thread.

(no)

Steve
27th August 10, 02:34 PM
Canada would become relevant.

Maybe.

;p

EuropIan
27th August 10, 02:38 PM
I would like to point out that Russia or China disappearing all of a sudden would very much have the same effect.

But Sirc is talking about those young disillusioned Americans traveling abroad and start turning into ingrateful little snots.

well, fuck those kids.

Cullion
27th August 10, 02:38 PM
The sea levels would drop, Earth's orbit would change and we'd probably all die. It might be a slow cooling or heating, or we might just crash into the moon.

Oh you mean just the people?.

Well, there'd be financial turmoil following by a boom as Chinese, Russian and European corporations pushed aggressively into claiming the resources of the New Continent. We'd all get a slice but eventually a new nation dominated by Russian and Chinese influences would emerge. I expect the western Europeans to lose out once things got pushy.

It wouldn't be as nice a place to live as America is now, but it would still be affluent, and Western Europe would be a kind of satellite state, but I don't think life there would be that tyrannical. It would likely be something like a giant, mostly white version of Hong Kong, but with a very visible super-wealthy caste of Chinese and Russian tourists and expats who work in the senior management of multinational corporations in the capital cities, going nuts on expensive Scottish whiskey and French champagne etc..

(London has a little bit of this already).

Robot Jesus
27th August 10, 02:44 PM
in many ways could be a boon for the undeveloped world, agrarian economy+ global famine. all depends if they can survive the instability.

I think Canada would suffer, but do better then most places. I don't think invasions is likely, it's easier to get our lumber, oil, and bear penises through trade. our gas industry would just stop, the oil price would plummet. Quebec would be all pissy.

China would be quite fucked, it's economic growth requires the US consumer. without him what will they do with all their led based baby food and soy sauce made from hair?

Without china Best Korea will just fall apart. a halfhearted invasion of south Korea will be attempted, but it will be more like that final push in Risk; the one you make when your sick of playing and just want to lose so you can go home. South Korea will have a hard time adapting, but I honestly don't know enough about their economy to speculate on it.

Russia will become the new powerhouse, they have the least of any of the major powers invested in America.

27th August 10, 03:27 PM
Mexicans would have nowhere to go

SoulMechanic
27th August 10, 03:46 PM
With STIFFI gone, who would molest, errr employ all the Pedro's?

27th August 10, 03:56 PM
With STIFFI gone, who would molest, errr employ all the Rosas? CUZ I, SNIFFI, can handle all the Pedros.

Ajamil
27th August 10, 04:13 PM
If the land itself goes, some new awesome shipping lanes would open up - if the world dying had any time to notice.

If it stayed, movies the world over would have 1/10th the budget and in general be 1/4 the quality. Might get some new stories, though.

ICY
27th August 10, 05:40 PM
Worst hypothetical ever.

HappyOldGuy
27th August 10, 08:23 PM
Canada would need a new head.

Dark Helmet
27th August 10, 09:45 PM
This world that Sirc has hypothesized doesn't sound half bad.

But why would Portugal and Spain become power houses? More so than Argentina and Brazil? I doubt it. Once, a long time ago before that whore Evita, Argentina was the 8th richest nation on earth just due to their exports of foods, wheat and meats.

How could tiny Spain out-grow Argentina or Canada?

Sirc
28th August 10, 01:52 AM
This world that Sirc has hypothesized doesn't sound half bad.

But why would Portugal and Spain become power houses? More so than Argentina and Brazil? I doubt it. Once, a long time ago before that whore Evita, Argentina was the 8th richest nation on earth just due to their exports of foods, wheat and meats.

How could tiny Spain out-grow Argentina or Canada?

Argentina has turned most of their country into grazing land for cows. Canada is too cold for most of the year for a lot of different types of crops. It'd take many years to breed crops that would yield the same quantity.

Portugal and Spain on the other hand have vast unused lands and their economies are shit and this would be a great opportunity for them to create some new business for themselves. They also sit on a good temperature area for a lot of different crops.

Shotgun Christening
28th August 10, 05:53 AM
tl;dr go back to BS.

Ajamil
28th August 10, 12:27 PM
Portugal's too full of rocks. Canada would not be as cold if the US turned into a new ocean.

Big Dozer
29th August 10, 07:01 PM
Canada would become relevant.

Maybe.

;p

Nice

jvjim
29th August 10, 09:19 PM
The king of England would be all up in everyone's face.

SoulMechanic
30th August 10, 12:39 AM
Canada would be invaded by Russia. Mexico would be turned into global toxic waist dump.

Big Dozer
30th August 10, 03:00 AM
If the USA werent around everyone would be focusing on how much they hate Britain.

SoulMechanic
30th August 10, 04:51 AM
But Dozer that would only be possible if Britain was actually still indeed relevant.

Big Dozer
30th August 10, 10:18 AM
But Dozer that would only be possible if Britain was actually still indeed relevant.

True, but they are without a shadow of a doubt the second most hated country in the world.

SoulMechanic
30th August 10, 10:39 PM
True, but they are without a shadow of a doubt the second most hated country in the world.

*PAGING DOUGIE*

Is this true old chap?

kick
31st August 10, 02:11 AM
I think around the world sailing records would fall, just sail straight between mexico and canada.

Panama goes broke, no more canal.

danno
31st August 10, 03:02 AM
i'm more interested in what you all think about this:

Throughout history the rise and fall of empires isn't slow or cyclical, as we like to think, but arrhythmic...it mostly happens very, very suddenly. America is a superpower on the edge of chaos, according to economic historian and author Niall Ferguson. US debt levels, he says, and its unwillingness to address the problem, has put it in the same category as other great empires which have collapsed throughout the ages.

download the video here:

http://www.abc.net.au/tv/bigideas/stories/2010/08/17/2984171.htm

Vieux Normand
31st August 10, 02:19 PM
Hmmmwell...world's been around an estimated 4.6 billion years or something like that.

The U.S.A.'s been in existence for two-and-a-bit centuries.

Once it's gone, the world will be around for another couple of billion years at least.

Same can be said for past superpower-empire-thingies, also applicable to future ones.

That was a really difficult question to tackle.

No really, it was.

HappyOldGuy
31st August 10, 10:49 PM
i'm more interested in what you all think about this:

download the video here:

http://www.abc.net.au/tv/bigideas/stories/2010/08/17/2984171.htm

Full of shit on any number of levels.

US debt is at fiscal crisis levels, but nowhere near economic crisis levels. IOW, it's a PITA for governments trying to budget, but if you look at it historically, it's high, but nowhere near maximum.

Debt by itself has never brought down any empire. You also need a threat, and right now there are no countries in the world that represent an existential crisis to the US. There aren't even any countries on the horizon. If you look at actual power, China's threat s that the US can't unilaterally push China around in Asia. That's a real threat to US solo hegemony, but not to US preeminence.

jvjim
1st September 10, 12:04 AM
Debt by itself has never brought down any empire.

[rolling eye smiley face][/rolling eye smiley face]

HappyOldGuy
1st September 10, 12:21 AM
Who is the threat?

Commodore Pipes
1st September 10, 12:35 AM
Your FACE.

*HI FUCKING FIVES! YEAH!*

jvjim
1st September 10, 12:41 AM
I don't consider the down of the American empire a bad thing, necessarily. But, my answer is Bernake.

jvjim
1st September 10, 12:42 AM
Your FACE.

*HI FUCKING FIVES! YEAH!*

*hi five* he has a handsome face for an old hippy liberal douche, from what I remember seeing

danno
1st September 10, 12:43 AM
HOG, did you watch the video?

HappyOldGuy
1st September 10, 12:44 AM
And again, no empire in the history of the world has ever collapsed solely due to debt. Debt can render an empire weak in a time of threat, but you have to have the threat.

Plus, US personal savings are way up, personal debt is on the way down, and government debt is high, but only about half of it's highest point.

HappyOldGuy
1st September 10, 12:50 AM
HOG, did you watch the video?
I watched the highlight clip.

His characterization of China is paranoid to begin with. And he's talking about the US having to cut back on military spending due to debt, which is true, but failing tomention that we currently outspend China 20-1. If we need to cut back 10-20% due to debt (very possible) we're still ridiculously out in front.

Adouglasmhor
1st September 10, 01:02 AM
*PAGING DOUGIE*

Is this true old chap?I've heard it all
a thousand times before
You all got lots of talk,
do you really want to start a war

Nobody likes us - But we don't care!

If you want blood, you've got it,
this time it ain't a game
We're taking no prisoners,
we're going all the way

Nobody likes us - But we don't care!

We're hated by everyone
we didn't come here to make friends
But we don't care anyway
we'll just see where it ends!

Nobody likes us - But we don't care

Adouglasmhor
1st September 10, 01:13 AM
*PAGING DOUGIE*

Is this true old chap?

Seriously is - I have had to pretend to be an Irishman on a few occasions on my travels.
I suggest you all practice saying eh at the end of words in case you ever find yourself in a similar situation.

Lebell
1st September 10, 04:31 AM
I was talking to some friends who are in Europe for school who have a case of being on the other side of the fence. You know, the kind of college aged guy who goes to Europe and gets indoctrinated with their kind of bullshit, "EUROPE IS THE BEST. AMERICANS ARE THE WORST." philosophy. It's like, they don't understand that racism isn't just skin color. That about 70 years ago, a guy thought the same thing about how much more awesome his country was compared to everyone else and ended up causing the biggest ruckus the world had ever seen.

Hang on a sec.
I live in a uni town with lots of american exchange students, the anti american thing and europe is much better mentality comes from them.
its the americans themselves who devellop these ideas, its not like europeans are discussing those things with them, in fact unless its a hot chick we tend to ignore americans cos they're ignorant and really loud, and they get retarded when they're drunk.
you are not relevant to us.
'this europe is much better' thing is a purely american made concept, not our fault as europeans.

Anyway, I tried to tell them that as a whole, the planet kind of needs America now because of how we've kind of gotten our roots deep set into all aspects of the world. Sometimes with good intentions and sometimes... not.

LOL!

This is what I think would be the most major things:

- China would invade Taiwan and take it over immediately and probably look towards Canada for its natural resources that China desperately needs now that they've lost America.

LOL, the usa takes resources, not produces them.
if america would vanish, a shitload of pollution would stop, gasprices would drop dramatically for the rest of the world.
cos you're a bunch of assholes who bully the rest of the world to pay more for gas so you fatasses can drive around for cheap.
the world is picking up the bill for the usa.

- Israel gets gangraped by several Arab nations. Israel would probably be destroyed and there would probably be a nuclear exchange of some kind.

Not instantly.
Israel is doomed anyway, in 40 years from now the state of israel as we know it in our time will be gone.
they got orthodox jews and arabs as their main breeders, where the mainstream is westernlike and only has 2 kids per family where the fundi's have 5 to 6.

- North Korea would invade South Korea thinking that without American support, they can do it. South Korea fights back and wins, North Korea's tech is too old and they cannot put up a fight. Korea is united, but fixing North Korea becomes Korea's challenge for the next decade.

Depends if China lets them.

- Russia takes back old Eastern Bloc countries. They go and take back as much of the territory lost after the Breakup of the USSR as they can. The rest of Europe nervously raises defense budgets.

lolol!
Im pretty sure the european armies would totally assrape the russians at this point in time, it was indeed different in te eigghties but now the tables have turned.
besides russia isnt interested in europe anymore because their main rival is gone.
they will most likely focus on the oil in the middle east.
power is about resources and political influence, the last one isnt needed anymore as the usa is gone.

- Oil prices plummet as the biggest consumer disappears. Royal Saudi family gets unseated by coup.

i think so too.

- Food prices worldwide skyrocket and food supply for the world becomes very scarce. Panic ensues as the public freaks the fuck out wondering when the supply will end as the consumption is higher than production. Countries scramble to fill in the gap. Spain and Portugal will eventually be new leaders in food production. Farming supplies and farm stock become the new oil demand for 5-10 years.

lolwut?
go read about Hollands export figures.
we have perfectioned food production and logistics.
not those savages down south, they're too lazy anyway.

- Africa goes from Bad to Worse. A few countries will try to step in and do what we were doing to help Africa out, but due to too much to fucking do, most give up and let Africa sort itself out. It is not pretty. It sets the stage for World War III as famine in Africa skyrockets.

the usa doesnt do shit in africa.

overall, it would be a bad thing if america dissapeared, i think i'd like the countrysides over there, not so much the people.
one day i hope to be able to go hunting in the norther woods.
shoot a deer or even a bear.

Lebell
1st September 10, 04:35 AM
Seriously is - I have had to pretend to be an Irishman on a few occasions on my travels.
I suggest you all practice saying eh at the end of words in case you ever find yourself in a similar situation.

Thats the sweet thing about being dutch: nobody can find any problem with us.

where you from?

holland.

whooooo! legal drugs! awesome bro!

except for the indonesians, those chinky bastards are still a bit sauer from the colonial war where america had to save em from the dutch army.
hey...with america out of the picture we could reclaim their lands!

sweet!

Robot Jesus
1st September 10, 05:23 PM
please and thank you is more Canadian, "can I buy some weed off you" more so.

the most striking difference I find in behavior between Canada and the US is with low level service staff.

in Canada the register monkey will say "have a nice day" in a soulless tone once your done with each other. in the states they have a whole speech "enjoy your food, and have a nice day now and stop by again ya hear", same soulless monotone; it seems so forced.

Lebell
2nd September 10, 10:51 AM
you'd love europe then.
they just hurry you in eating your goddamn food so you can make way for the next batch of poor people.

if you're in a store and ask for some information they'll look and sigh at you as if you're actually bothering them from their real job: talking to eachother with their backs turned at the counter.