PDA

View Full Version : Why are Alligator boots more expensive than Crocodile boots?

Big Dozer
23rd August 10, 08:35 PM
Alligator: $3,477.00

http://www.timsboots.com/naalcwboelpa.html

Crocodile: $799.95

http://www.timsboots.com/bljacabewido1.html

Why?

Commodore Pipes
23rd August 10, 08:39 PM
1) Alligator leather is generally smoother, softer, and more symmetrical.

2) There are more crocodiles than there are alligators.

Big Dozer
23rd August 10, 08:52 PM
#1 makes sense, but elephant boots are cheaper than both. Thanks though. Was looking for some dancing shoes(Mine are pretty torn) saw this and was confused.

TheMightyMcClaw
23rd August 10, 11:46 PM
I'm sorry, but me and Karl Marx over here can't stop raging against the existence of three thousand dollar boots.

lant3rn
23rd August 10, 11:47 PM
I'm sorry, but me and Karl Marx over here can't stop raging against the existence of three thousand dollar boots.

Thats because you both lack good taste

Neildo
23rd August 10, 11:56 PM
are we looking at the same pair of boots? you think it shows good taste to show up to a $500/head dinner wearing those things on your feet?

money can't buy class.

Big Dozer
24th August 10, 12:17 AM
are we looking at the same pair of boots? you think it shows good taste to show up to a $500/head dinner wearing those things on your feet?

money can't buy class.

No, but it can buy awesome boots. I dont intend on buying these boots. Dont have anywhere near that type of boot money. I have a $200 limit on shoes. Just was looking around and saw these.

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
24th August 10, 03:00 AM
both are ugly

Big Dozer
24th August 10, 03:02 AM
both are ugly

Well we cant all pull off Wal-Mart shoes

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
24th August 10, 04:01 AM
For less than the price of the cheaper boot you can get a pair of classic shoes made by artisanal labor somewhere in the first world.

Big Dozer
24th August 10, 04:04 AM
Yes, but I would rather pay more and get some komodo dragon boots.

littleoldme
24th August 10, 06:36 AM
Crocodile boots are more expensive than alligator boots.

In terms of value of skins from the most to the least valuable it goes like this

Crocodile - alligator - caiman

The boots in your second link are caiman which is a vastly inferior skin to either crocodile or alligator. Caiman looks great but is prone to splitting over time.

Other factors will influence the value of crocodile and alligator skins, e.g. skin sections showing the large belly scales from mature crocs are very valuable as are skins from alligators that show the umbilical scar.

The site you linked to in the OP is also selling what appears to be elephant skin boots. No mention of CITES certificates. Possibly illegal or hopefully fake elephant skin. *raises eyebrow*

EvilSteve
24th August 10, 09:59 AM
Alligator: $3,477.00

http://www.timsboots.com/naalcwboelpa.html

Crocodile: $799.95

http://www.timsboots.com/bljacabewido1.html

Why?

Also, the alligator boots are alligator all the way up. The crocodile boots are leather or vinyl or something above the foot.

Neildo
24th August 10, 10:47 AM
did a bit of reading. looks like crocs are pussies and can't handle a bit of cold water. alligator hide is probably just tougher or something. all i know about those kinds of boots is they need an extraordinary amount of care if you want them to stay nice. neglect them just a little and they fall apart.

also, a tougher hide would mean more complicated production resulting in increased labour cost.

Ajamil
24th August 10, 08:46 PM
Alligator's are American, American made is always more expensive. I'm guessing the alligators have unionized.

Spade: The Real Snake
25th August 10, 02:06 PM

money can't buy class.
U ain't been out west, has U cityboy?

Frank White
26th August 10, 06:18 AM
As it was explained to me in Nashville, " Baby Gaters gotta be lined with ostrich cuz thats softer. My Jackets six baby gaters, my boots was a half a size to small so I ordered a new pair." Then it was explained how Nashville strip clubs are BYOB, which means you can bring in your own whiskey as well. Needless to say, I can't go back to tennesseee. And the dude with the jacket made of "six baby gaters" is dead now anyways. We have matching tattoos on the palms of our hands to commemorate that night, I think his name was Mick.

Frank White
26th August 10, 06:19 AM
The jacket cost him six grand, the boots were three.

Neildo
26th August 10, 01:35 PM
you always have the best stories frank. i'd totally like to buy you a beer sometime.