PDA

View Full Version : Man Dies in Shark Attack

OZZ
17th August 10, 12:11 PM
Another Aussie surfer bites the dust.
Clearly one of the most dangerous regions in the world to surf..

Man killed by shark while surfing in Australia

By Tanalee Smith, The Associated Press

ADELAIDE, Australia - An Australian man died Tuesday after being attacked by a shark while surfing off the southwestern coast, police said.

The 31-year-old was attacked while surfing alone early in the morning at a beach near Gracetown, about 175 miles (280 kilometres) south of the Western Australia state capital of Perth.

A police spokeswoman told The Associated Press that the man received life-threatening injuries and died later at Margaret River Hospital. She spoke on condition of anonymity, citing department policy.

The spokeswoman said the man was from nearby Busselton. Police said his identity may be released later Tuesday.

Phil Shaw, regional manager of the state Department of Fisheries, said officers would try to determine if the shark was still in the area, what species it was and whether it posed a risk.

Great white sharks are common off that part of the coast.

In 2004, another local surfer died after a shark attack at a Gracetown beach.

EuropIan
17th August 10, 12:21 PM
So?

Why did this particular shark attack story interest you?

Do you think we should stop them?

(I <3 sharks, they are awesome and terrifying)

OZZ
17th August 10, 12:33 PM
I just like putting up stories about wildlife encounters..as my posting history suggests.
I am fascinated by sharks.They are so prehistoric and cool..
I am not in favor of killing them at all. Surfers know the risks and they still choose to do what they do in the waters that they do.
Actually, on my favorites list I have a link to a shark cage diving organization in Cape Town, South Africa. I want to try that one day..it costs about $150.00 for a day out.

KO'd N DOA
17th August 10, 12:52 PM
I think man needs the sharks of this world to put us in our place.

Ming Loyalist
17th August 10, 01:17 PM
i think the worst part about this is that they don't even prefer to eat humans, it's just that surfers look like seals or something else yummy.

i imagine that when a shark bites a surfer it's a lot like when you grab a chocolate out of one of those assortment boxes and it ends up having the filling that you don't like so you spit it out, then everyone gives you shit for wasting one.

EuropIan
17th August 10, 01:21 PM
Also, if a shark wants to investigate something the only option it has is to take a bite.

@Ozz cool, just curious. Since it isn't shark week or shark month or anything.

lant3rn
17th August 10, 01:26 PM
i think the worst part about this is that they don't even prefer to eat humans, it's just that surfers look like seals or something else yummy.

i imagine that when a shark bites a surfer it's a lot like when you grab a chocolate out of one of those assortment boxes and it ends up having the filling that you don't like so you spit it out, then everyone gives you shit for wasting one.

thats odd, Shark soup is pretty damn tasty.

EuropIan
17th August 10, 02:16 PM
Forget dolphins, I want to make love to a shark. Then an alligator, then the maid lady on 'brady bunch'
http://4chanmemeandmotivational.files.wordpress.com/2009/06/im_a_shark.jpg

Harpy
17th August 10, 03:27 PM
Ozz - I enjoy your animal encounter threads.

Humans take more human lives than any other species. Why don't we put them down at the speed which they do to 'man eating' bears, tigers, sharks (and even badly trained pitbulls)?

Kiko
17th August 10, 03:44 PM
Ozz - I enjoy your animal encounter threads.

Humans take more human lives than any other species. Why don't we put them down at the speed which they do to 'man eating' bears, tigers, sharks (and even badly trained pitbulls)?

I enjoy OZZ's threads, too.

I'd be thrilled if more cold-blooded murderers were put down, but too many people don't think it's a good idea.

Adouglasmhor
17th August 10, 03:55 PM
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_bpl-3B7AQzc/Sfp2tvEyLjI/AAAAAAAAArk/RCxi_cVWr8A/s400/pathetic3.png

Ajamil
17th August 10, 04:01 PM
I thought Africa had more shark attacks. Ahh well.

I went shark diving in Nassau. It was really cool. We first went to a reef wall where they were just swimmin around with us, and I was warned to stop trying to touch the groupers*, because they'll also bite you, but instead of shearing off your hand, they sort of suck and tear it off - no fun.

Then we got to sit in a circle with a dude in chainmail and a box of fish heads who fed the sharks while they swam all around us. The guy would spear a fish head, and bring it out with a very particular motion (think the pointing move Travolta did in Saturday Night Fever). We were warned not to mimic this motion, or point at all in order to not confuse the sharks as to where the food was. It was awesome scary whenever someone would take a pic, since sharks are sensitive to electricity. Whenever the strobe went off, four or five sharks would immediately turn to go investigate the photographer. I loved every moment of it. Not my pic, but this is what it was like:

http://media-cdn.tripadvisor.com/media/photo-s/01/62/33/e1/shark-dive-bringing-them.jpg

*Grouper:
http://www.bigblueadventures.com/BBA%20Images/underwater-grouper.jpg
Big ol fish - not me in pic

bob
17th August 10, 04:08 PM
I loved sharks as a kid but the times I've seen them out there when I was surfing were probably amongst the most unpleasant experiences of my life. Urgh.

OZZ
18th August 10, 11:08 AM
The web site for the one I am thinking of trying is cape-xtreme.com
Looks like the best time to go and see one of the 'big guys' (Great White) is in the Fall...there are plenty of seals in the region they take you out in and its one of the best places in the world for Great White Shark watching.
Definitely something I would like to do before I die.

Ajamil - those are cool pics!Africa may have the most shark attacks per year..I don't know, but the one's from Australia seem to get more press for some reason.

Ming Loyalist
18th August 10, 12:17 PM
I thought Africa had more shark attacks. Ahh well.

I went shark diving in Nassau. It was really cool. We first went to a reef wall where they were just swimmin around with us, and I was warned to stop trying to touch the groupers*, because they'll also bite you, but instead of shearing off your hand, they sort of suck and tear it off - no fun.

Then we got to sit in a circle with a dude in chainmail and a box of fish heads who fed the sharks while they swam all around us. The guy would spear a fish head, and bring it out with a very particular motion (think the pointing move Travolta did in Saturday Night Fever). We were warned not to mimic this motion, or point at all in order to not confuse the sharks as to where the food was. It was awesome scary whenever someone would take a pic, since sharks are sensitive to electricity. Whenever the strobe went off, four or five sharks would immediately turn to go investigate the photographer. I loved every moment of it. Not my pic, but this is what it was like:

so you're just sitting there, not in a cage while a guy feeds fish heads to a bunch of sharks? that seems *really* dangerous. maybe i'm missing some important bit of info here.

i have a pretty strong desire to *not* be eaten alive by a pack of sharks, so it seems like a really foolish thing to do, but maybe that's my hangup. i also don't tend to travel to places where people will as soon kill you as look at you, or where americans are seen as prime kidnapping targets.

OZZ
18th August 10, 12:19 PM
so you're just sitting there, not in a cage while a guy feeds fish heads to a bunch of sharks? that seems *really* dangerous. maybe i'm missing some important bit of info here.

i have a pretty strong desire to *not* be eaten alive by a pack of sharks, so it seems like a really foolish thing to do, but maybe that's my hangup. i also don't tend to travel to places where people will as soon kill you as look at you, or where americans are seen as prime kidnapping targets.

Some people aren't afraid to take a risk to experience something unique..

Ajamil
18th August 10, 01:04 PM
I actually tried to psych myself up on the fear of the situation, but it didn't work. They were just big fish, and really only interested in eating the fish heads. Why would they have bothered us? It wasn't a huge blood in the water feeding frenzy thing. They would swim around until a fish head was free-floating, then zoom up and snatch it. Any tiny pieces left over were grabbed by other fish waiting their turn.

Not my vid - feed starts at 2:40:
AOjvyJhPipc

I actually don't remember the sharks being so congested, but Stuart Coves is the same place I went to, so that might even be the same feeder. Notice that he's decked out in chain armor.

Edit: I remember that wreck! We had to follow a compass nav to it, then turn around and come back, but I misunderstood and started checking out the wreck until the instructor yelled for me. It's really hard to call for someone's attention underwater - sound gets all muffled seems to come from everywhere.

Ming Loyalist
18th August 10, 02:52 PM
Some people aren't afraid to take a risk to experience something unique..

well, there's risk of injury, and i take that every time i train judo, then there's the risk of being eaten alive, and that seems a bit more severe to me. lots of people go and do things that i think are quite foolish.

They were just big fish, and really only interested in eating the fish heads. Why would they have bothered us?

just big fish? ok. why would they have bothered you? i don't know, maybe because you are edible? i was actually quite surprised they weren't eating any of the fish swimming around them.

i understand that these aren't great whites, but they look big enough to do some serious damage if they decided to "check you out" by taking a bite. if one *did* take a bite of someone, there would be a lot of blood and then i think the whole situation could get quite ugly very very quickly.

i see that this is an industry so obviously the percentage of people who get injured doing this must be very low or none. maybe my reaction has something to do with being part of the "jaws" generation who saw the first jaws film when probably a bit too young for it.

OZZ
18th August 10, 08:32 PM
well, there's risk of injury, and i take that every time i train judo, then there's the risk of being eaten alive, and that seems a bit more severe to me. lots of people go and do things that i think are quite foolish.

just big fish? ok. why would they have bothered you? i don't know, maybe because you are edible? i was actually quite surprised they weren't eating any of the fish swimming around them.

i understand that these aren't great whites, but they look big enough to do some serious damage if they decided to "check you out" by taking a bite. if one *did* take a bite of someone, there would be a lot of blood and then i think the whole situation could get quite ugly very very quickly.

i see that this is an industry so obviously the percentage of people who get injured doing this must be very low or none. maybe my reaction has something to do with being part of the "jaws" generation who saw the first jaws film when probably a bit too young for it.

Peter Benchley actually commented , several years and many hours of research later, that if he had known what he now knows about sharks in the 1970's - he never would have wrote the book. He actually feels partially responsible for the negative reputation sharks got after the release of that movie and his book.
The fearsome reputation of the shark as a soulless killing machine is waaaay overblown...and the negative press has had practical, real world consequences and put their survival as a species in jeopardy.
If you knew a bit more about them, you probably wouldn't be as freaked out by the idea of shark cage diving. I am not saying that to patronize you, either. Most species of sharks are not that dangerous at all to humans and the whole 'blood frenzy' thing that people like to exagerrate is another overblown myth.
Seriously, do a bit of reading and you will find that over the last 20 years a lot of shark research has been done and many of the old ideas tossed out by the scientific/marine biology community.
One example regarding the Great White , the idea of them being lone wolf solitary hunters was dispelled a few years a go when they finally managed to equip one of the huge beasts with a cam and they found that they actually do travel in pairs sometimes and may even return to the same regions to breed year after year..their behaviour has only recently come to be truly understood.

Kein Haar
19th August 10, 02:38 AM
I think most of us had shark week available to us.

No need to repeat each episode verbatim.

OZZ
19th August 10, 11:57 AM
I think most of us had shark week available to us.

No need to repeat each episode verbatim.

You just have to be a dink, don't you?
Some of us gain our knowledge in ways other than the television.
And I guess Ming must have missed 'shark week' because he still thinks alot of the myths that were circulated in the 1970's are true.

Kein Haar
19th August 10, 03:10 PM
Everything you just said is repeated in every featured episode of shark related programming on television made since the 1980s, and to the same rhetorical depth (i.e., not much).

If you "gained your knowledge in other ways" I'd expect more precision and insight than: "The fearsome reputation of the shark as a soulless killing machine..."

You literally just said that...and you want to take credit for coalescing this phrase from knowledge gained from....what? Science journals? lol

k

EuropIan
19th August 10, 03:46 PM
Can we agree that ampullae of lorenzini is the most awesome sensory organ ever?

Kein Haar
19th August 10, 03:53 PM
Better.

OZZ
19th August 10, 04:12 PM
Everything you just said is repeated in every featured episode of shark related programming on television made since the 1980s, and to the same rhetorical depth (i.e., not much).

If you "gained your knowledge in other ways" I'd expect more precision and insight than: "The fearsome reputation of the shark as a soulless killing machine..."

You literally just said that...and you want to take credit for coalescing this phrase from knowledge gained from....what? Science journals? lol

k

I may be using catchphrases - but so what? You have nothing better to do than be an infantile dickweed?I am not writing a book, I am providing an overview and overviews tend to be , well..overviews. So fuck off.
Did I claim to be a shark expert? I was trying to offer the guy some insight on how the shark's reputation has been ruined by Hollywood and moronic myth-building. I didn't make any claims above my station.
And just so you know, I actually didn't watch shark week (although I have watched many shows like it) and the info I posted about the Great White was on a Discovery Channel program I watched about 4 years ago..I can guarantee you I know more about sharks than you ever will. And the info about Great Whites travelling in pairs is relatively new - so I thought I would share it.
I have had an interest in sharks since I was 8 years old and yes, I probably know more than the average person and I am trying to do my part to dispel some of the stupid misconceptions that people have so maybe the damn things won't get slaughtered off the face of the earth in the next 30 years.
Fact is- you are an immature twat with too much time on his hands. Go yank someone else's chain you dipshit.

Kein Haar
19th August 10, 05:39 PM
::pointing and laughing::

OZZ
19th August 10, 05:41 PM
As immature fools tend to do..

And yes, I am in a bad FUCKING mood this week.

Kein Haar
19th August 10, 06:40 PM
What a woman!

Hey, enjoy that mood of yours.