PDA

View Full Version : Billy the Kid has his way with NM...again.

Shotgun Christening
30th July 10, 04:41 PM
Doesnt New Mexcio have tougher things to deal with than bullshit like this?

Granted we wouldnt pardon someone who had commited these crimes in todays times but does it matter 130 years later?
Billy the Kid is dead, so its not like he is going to use his new found freedom to wander the streets shooting passersby and holding up banks whilst whistling a sad ballad.
If they were going to pardon Charles Manson, then hell yeah we should be upset, but a dead man?

Look at Garrets grandson. Need attention much?

http://i25.tinypic.com/9u7nlu.jpg

He looks more like a bad Bruce Boxlightner impersonator.

Its a popular story because no one is sure exactly what transpired. The mystery is the charm. I thinks Garrets family doesnt want him pardoned because that supposes that he wasnt killed by there grandpappy and their one claim to fame (albeit a lame one) in this world would evaporate like water in the Mojave Desert.

William H. Bonny is dead. Pat Garret is dead. Governor Wallace is dead. This pardon idea should die like the people who started it all 130 years ago.

By BARRY MASSEY, Associated Press Writer Barry Massey, Associated Press Writer Fri Jul 30,

SANTA FE, N.M. The showdown between Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid has fascinated the American public for nearly 130 years with its classic, Old West storyline of the frontier lawman hunting down the notorious gunslinger.

As it turns out, the feud isn't completely over.

New Mexico Gov. Bill Richardson is considering granting a posthumous pardon to Billy the Kid, angering descendants of Garrett who call it an insult to recognize such a violent outlaw.

Three of the late lawman's grandchildren sent a letter to Richardson this week that asked him not to pardon the outlaw, saying such an act would represent an "inexcusable defamation" of Garrett.

"If Billy the Kid was living amongst us now, would you issue a pardon for someone who made his living as a thief and, more egregiously, who killed four law enforcement officers and numerous others?" the Garrett family wrote.

The issue has resurfaced because Richardson asked a New Mexico columnist earlier this year to check with historians to measure their support for issuing a pardon. The governor plans to meet with Garrett family members next week to discuss the issue.

Garrett shot Billy the Kid down on July 14, 1881. Garrett tracked him after the outlaw escaped from the Lincoln County jail in a famous gunbattle that left two deputies dead.

The Kid's status as an Old West folk hero grew as countless books, films and songs were written about the gunslinger and his exploits. According to legend, he killed 21 people, one for each year of his life, but the New Mexico Tourism Department puts the total closer to nine.

The pardon dispute is the latest in a long-running fight over whether Garrett shot the real Kid or someone else and then lied about it. Some history buffs claim Billy the Kid didn't die in the shootout with Garrett and landed in Texas, where he went by "Brushy Bill" Roberts and died of a heart attack at age 90 in 1950.

Richardson joined the tussle in 2003 by supporting a plan by then-Lincoln County Sheriff Tom Sullivan to reinvestigate the century-old case.

The governor said he was willing to consider a pardon for the Kid something the outlaw hoped for but never received from New Mexico territorial Gov. Lew Wallace.

"Governor Richardson has always said that he would consider making good on Governor Wallace's promise to Billy the Kid for a pardon," Richardson spokeswoman Alarie Ray-Garcia said Thursday. "He is aware of the Garrett family's concerns and will be meeting with them next week."

Susan Floyd Garrett of Santa Fe is one of the grandchildren who signed the letter to Richardson. She said the family decided to speak out because a pardon represents a "defamation of character" to their grandfather. She described the Kid as a "gangster."

"Everybody wants to mythologize Billy the Kid," she said.

Garrett and her brother, Jarvis Patrick Garrett, met Thursday with descendants of another key figure in the Kid's story John Henry Tunstall, a rancher whose murder in 1878 triggered a bloody feud known as the Lincoln County War. Billy the Kid, also known as William Bonney, worked as a ranch hand for Tunstall.

Hilary Tunstall-Behrens of London, a great-nephew of Tunstall, said he's not backing a modern-day pardon for the Kid.

"I wouldn't join the cause," said Tunstall-Behrens, 83. "There is so much strong feelings."

Gale Cooper, an amateur historian who lives near Albuquerque, said a pardon by Richardson would be the "culmination of the hoax that contended Pat Garrett was a nefarious killer and Billy was not buried in his grave."

Cooper has written a book, "MegaHoax," to debunk claims that Garrett killed someone other than the Kid.

After serving as Lincoln County sheriff, Garrett's career soured. He ran unsuccessfully for higher political office, served as a customs collector, but ran into financial problems as a rancher.

He was shot and killed in 1908 in a dispute over his land.

SoulMechanic
30th July 10, 04:58 PM
Yo Dawg, check out my new blizing!
http://i745.photobucket.com/albums/xx95/oklro/EIIWP/who_gives_a_shit.jpg

Spade: The Real Snake
30th July 10, 05:10 PM
Yo Dawg, check out my new blizing!
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41Me2NjsuSL._SS400_.jpg

SoulMechanic
30th July 10, 05:18 PM
Are you wearing yours too STIFFI? This way everybody knows how tight we are. And in your case, everybody will know how tight you were.

30th July 10, 05:22 PM
Are you wearing yours too STIFFI? This way everybody knows how tight we are. And in your case, everybody will know how tight you were.
which half are you wearing? (http://ny-image0.etsy.com/il_fullxfull.109457008.jpg)

SoulMechanic
30th July 10, 05:23 PM
I am not ashamed to have a homo like you as a hommie. I will be the hag to your fag with great pride girlfriend.

30th July 10, 05:28 PM
gimme some sugar, baby

Shotgun Christening
30th July 10, 06:01 PM
All off topic posting needs to stop. This is a serious thread about a serious problem with society. We cant go around pardoning hardened (yeah I said hardened) crminals all the time.
What kind of place would the world be if we pardoned Attila the Hun, Jack the Ripper, the guy who stuck Jesus with a spear, Doctor X and so on?

Think about the tragedy that would be unleashed upon the public. A FUCKING SPEAR!!!!! A SPEAR!!!! THINK ABOUT HOW THAT WOULD FEEL.

Stick
30th July 10, 06:02 PM
... "MegaHoax"... Isn't that a might hyperbolic for a book about the death of Billy the Kid?

I mean there are hoaxes out there far more deserving of the prefix mega, aren't there?

Shotgun Christening
30th July 10, 06:03 PM
... "MegaHoax"... Isn't that a might hyperbolic for a book about the death of Billy the Kid?

I mean there are hoaxes out there far more deserving of the prefix mega, aren't there?

Global Warming comes to mind. Maybe we should pardon those guys in 130 years...oh wait WE'LL ALL BE DEAD FROM SOLAR RADIATION OR WILL HAVE SURELY DROWN FROM THE RISING SEA LEVELS.....OH NOES 11!!!1

fes_fsa
30th July 10, 06:16 PM
let's pardon Hitler too, while we're at it.

30th July 10, 10:19 PM
did he pass wind before you?

Ajamil
31st July 10, 12:02 AM
Jon Stewart's book Naked Pictures of Famous People had an awesome imagining of Hitler being interviewed on Larry King. He prefaced it with the idea that the American Public loves to hate certain people, but they love to forgive them even more.

Shotgun Christening
31st July 10, 06:31 AM
let's pardon Hitler too, while we're at it.

Might as well. Id hate for him to think we had forgotten him in all this.

jubei33
31st July 10, 08:33 AM
What exactly is the reasoning behind pardoning him?

I didn't see anything in the article that mentioned why they want to in the first place. I side with the cops family unless there's an appropriate, worthwhile reason.

Shotgun Christening
31st July 10, 09:00 AM
What exactly is the reasoning behind pardoning him?

I didn't see anything in the article that mentioned why they want to in the first place. I side with the cops family unless there's an appropriate, worthwhile reason.

cuz this..

The issue has resurfaced because Richardson asked a New Mexico columnist earlier this year to check with historians to measure their support for issuing a pardon.

and this....

Richardson joined the tussle in 2003 by supporting a plan by then-Lincoln County Sheriff Tom Sullivan to reinvestigate the century-old case.

The governor said he was willing to consider a pardon for the Kid something the outlaw hoped for but never received from New Mexico territorial Gov. Lew Wallace.

"Governor Richardson has always said that he would consider making good on Governor Wallace's promise to Billy the Kid for a pardon," Richardson spokeswoman Alarie Ray-Garcia said Thursday. "He is aware of the Garrett family's concerns and will be meeting with them next week."