PDA

View Full Version : The Box?

Feryk
9th July 10, 12:57 PM
Just a technical question:

Is it possible to establish a subforum where there is only one thread and new ones cannot be created?

Is it possible to restrict someone there rather than banning?

Does something like this makes sense to consider or no?

Steve
9th July 10, 01:04 PM
Ideally CTC is unmoderated, hence it would be against its purpose to create such a thing.

In other words, CTC is the box but also so much more.

Kiko
9th July 10, 02:01 PM
It's more like a very large playpen, isn't it?

Ajamil
9th July 10, 03:23 PM
The most common toy in my cat's play area is a box. Dozens of em, in all sizes.

SFGOON
9th July 10, 03:30 PM
We don't need a box per se, just tell whomever you want to leave to get in it - again and again and again and again.

Seriously, that shit works good.

Ajamil
9th July 10, 03:54 PM
Name the person who has left from it. It's a temp chemo that kills anything of substance on the boards to remove one or a few posters. Then actual threads start up again and the person lurks then reenters the light of posting.

Ming Loyalist
9th July 10, 04:00 PM
i thought this was about this place: http://theboxnyc.com

SFGOON
9th July 10, 05:21 PM
Name the person who has left from it. It's a temp chemo that kills anything of substance on the boards to remove one or a few posters. Then actual threads start up again and the person lurks then reenters the light of posting.

Rudy, tharuz, and Toby took off for a while. It's good for stymieing a reign of idiocy.

Hedley LaMarr
9th July 10, 06:00 PM
I came up with the Box in February of 2009 to countertroll tharuz. Has has not posted on the boards since (I don't think he has logged on either). It's possible he has created a second account, though.

I think you have it backwards, Arjuna. The Box doesn't kill anything of substance. With Toby and Tharuz, I deployed the Box only after there were 2 drama threads about these posters. By the time the Box can do anything, discussion on the boards had already died. That is what makes the Box useful. Guys like tharuz and legitimate trolls post for the attention. If the only attention they get is a snarky comment that makes slightly veiled insinuations about their sexuality coupled with a picture of a cardboard box, they get bored and go away.

SFGOON
9th July 10, 06:07 PM
It's honestly quite brilliant psychology.

Ajamil
9th July 10, 07:10 PM
Tharuz is a good example. And I was ill informed on proper box usage. I shall scale back my criticism for inappropriate use. Wait for one more "all about me!" thread from Rudy...

...and does Cullion qualify as needing to be the smartest one here in the box? Or does it not count if all the threads about you are started by other people?

Hedley LaMarr
9th July 10, 07:30 PM
Tharuz is a good example. And I was ill informed on proper box usage. I shall scale back my criticism for inappropriate use. Wait for one more "all about me!" thread from Rudy...

...and does Cullion qualify as needing to be the smartest one here in the box? Or does it not count if all the threads about you are started by other people?
Rudy was cross-posting his drama, so I decided to include the gajilllion drama threads about him at BS. It was a judgment call.

FickleFingerOfFate
9th July 10, 10:06 PM
Rudy was cross-posting his drama, so I decided to include the gajilllion drama threads about him at BS. It was a judgment call.

And, a well played call, at that.

WarPhalange
11th July 10, 02:42 AM
-OxluII3neI

Took me a few weeks to get down.

Kein Haar
11th July 10, 03:45 AM
Just name the person, and I will box the shit out of them.

Except Toby.

I don't get the wrath against him at all.

Ajamil
11th July 10, 08:42 AM
Do you juggle, PL? I like juggling, but haven't kept up with any really nifty.